Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #51
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Cavalry Commander Amul, as you have just been commissioned there are no updates for you this year other than to say the journey from Capua to Roma will be completed in the summer.

Cavalry Commander Lawcius, your 15-year-old wife Fadia is already becoming a bit of a burden. It seems she is both foolish and physically unhealthy, meaning you are less likely to have children and any you do have are more likely to be idiots. This does directly affect your career, but does mean that the legacy of your progency in the Republic doesn't appear that it will be the stuff legends are made of.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #52
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Before I do the last two briefings I thought I'd put up the 'family tree' of the Roman leadership, for lack of a better term. The dominant line and the only one that guarantees the favor of the Senate is that of Coruncanius, but it's a bit of an unusual case. Not only is he a well-known hero of the Samnite Wars and a man of considerable skill and political achievement/connections, but he also managed to marry off all four of his daughters to key officials, guaranteeing that his bloodline would reign supreme:

First Generation -- Consul Tiberius Coruncanius(57), wife Pompeia(60). Daughters Poppaea(42), Alypia(40), Claudia(39), Marcella(38)

Second Generation -- Coruncanius has four daughters, and each of their husbands joined his line by marriage. Consul Laevinus Coffeium(44) married Poppaea, and they have three sons; Decius(9), Marcus(2), and Augustus, who was born just last year in 279. Quaestor Luscinus(33) married Alypia, and they have two sons: recently commissioned Commander Muli(16) and Luca(2). Quite the gap there. Tribune Lepidus(27) is the husband of Claudia and their children are Fadia(15), along with sons Manius(12) and Valerius(1). The final marriage was that of Praetor Mus(41) to Marcella, and they have a single son, Cassius(2).

Third Generation -- Only in the past year have any of the third generation become adults: Commander Lawcius married in(Fadia) and Commander Muli just came of age.

Incidentally, this shows that Lawcius married the only woman he could have to join the Coruncanius bloodline -- the rest of the generation is all men! When it's the only choice, perhaps it isn't such a bad choice :P

Then of course we have the Legion of Merit, those who are not part of the previously mentioned line/family and therefore will not found a major roman house and their children will be unknown to history, even if they themselves are remembered.

** Aedile Placus Cornelius Arvina(38, en route to Capua)
** Quaestor Herius Antonius(32, Arretium)
** Tribune Cornelius Secundus Dolabella(27, Rhegion)

By financial necessity, few if any will be added and the Legion of Merit is expected to eventually die out completely, or nearly so.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-25-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #53
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Praetor Mus
Army: 320 personal cavalry, 240 cavalry under Lawcius, 800 Equites, 3280 Hastati, 1640 Principes, 860 Triarii, 1620 Oscan Lt Infantry, 2420 Etruscan Lt Infantry, 1620 Oscan Javelinmen. Total of 12,800 men.
Agents: Diplomat Valerius(23, at Genua)

Roma Update

Roma itself has no concerns at the moment, as the roads project won't complete until early next year. Having said that, city officials have informed you that the current city centre, known as the Oppodium, is adequate only for 60,000 citizens -- a figure recently exceeded. Upgrading it to the next stage, known as the Urbs, will cost 25.2k and require two years. The longer this upgrade is delayed, the more growth will stagnate and squalor(a general state of overcrowded living, poor sanitation, etc.) will prevail. While this is not a matter of immediate concern, as governor you must be made aware of the situation.

Troop Requests

At present the Senate is not authorizing any further troops for your command, though you can always change what types/agents you would like and efforts will be made to fulfill your requests.

Rebellion at Asculum!

The men under Decimus' sway are currently stationed just south of the port village near Asculum, the general area being almost directly east of Roma and slightly north. At his disposal is an army roughly half the size of yours, according to the report of the local governor, a man of insufficient prominence for you to so much as note his name. It is known that he has one maniple of quality cavalry, one of samnite infantry(known to be of decent quality as we've seen in battle), one of oscan javelinemen, and most seriously one of principes, heavy infantry more than the equal of most roman soldiers. The final maniple is of unknown composition.

Complicating the situation is that Asculum is presently building basic defenses around the town, but the wooden pallisade will not completed until the end of the year. At present Decimus is doing little more than disrupting the small amount of trade down the roadways of eastern Italy, but if he moved on the town it is not expected that they could repel him, nor that any friendly force could reach it in time. The garrison consists of a single maniple of Oscan Lt. Infantry, reinforced by Etruscan hoplites intended for Coffeium in the south: they could not have continued their journey even if they intended to, as Decimus controls the only worthy road.

This rebellion has sprung up in what is for them a most fortunate location, likely chosen with wise calculation. For you and for the Republic, it is most unforunate. Reaching Asculum, though it is not a particularly long journey as the crow flies, means navigating passes of the Apennine Mountains. There are few places in the peninsula that would take longer to reach from Roma.

Responding to this rebellion is soley your responsibility with both consuls at war in the south. You are advised that it will take approximately a year to cross the mountains, a year in which Decimus will be free to wreak whatever havoc he might choose. Small detachments of cavalry could get there somewhat sooner, as could garrison troops from Arimunum to the north or Arpi to the south, options which have their own drawbacks(leaving semi-important settlements undefended, attacking Decimus' army with fewer men led only by their captains instead of a Senate-authorized general, etc.).

Praetor Mus, what are your orders?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #54
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Consul Laevinus Coffeium
Location: Herakleia(siege under way, assault expected in the summer)
Army: 520 personal cavalry, 720 Equites, 1640 Hastati, 240 Principes, 80 Triarii, 4360 Campanian hoplites, 200 Oscan Lt Infantry, 1620 Samnite Lt INfantry, 220 Oscan javelinment, 1100 Velites, 800 Funditores. Total of 11,500 men.
Agents: Spy Decius(23), en route to Tarentum, your next target.

Reinforcements in recent weeks have at least doubled your infantry numbers, and were vitally needed, probably even more so for preparing the required siege equipment than the actual fighting once constructed. All four Aiakid cities in southern Italy are protected by stone walls: in the Republic, only Roma has such protection, the other cities having basic wooden walls or none at all.

Your situation does not seem to require any major decisions, the path seems clear. Herakleia must fall and Tarentum, the crown jewel of Magna Graecia, is to be next.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium, your legion awaits any potential change in orders for the army or Decius that you may wish to give, or any change in troop requests that you might make. Reinforcements are still trickling in from the north but slower now due to limited funds and the rebellion at Asculum blocking the path south in the east.

You are now on the clock.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No changes required. Siege, conquer, move on.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #56
chesapeake
College Starter

So if I understand what you are telling me, the enemy of the state has approximately 6,000 troops, but the quality is enough that the local levies and garrisons may well be outmatched, even if I hustled over there with the 1,300 horses I have under my command. Unless the nearby garrisons are actually quite large. How big are they?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #57
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Two maniples at Ariminum, one at ARPI, two at Asculum. Five maniples for the rebellion army, so it'd be a roughly even fight if all of them were to combine. If you went over with just your cavalry and those combined units you'd have a numerical advantadge of a quarter to a third(roughly, depending on the last unknown maniple in Decimus' army).
Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #58
chesapeake
College Starter

Sorry to keep asking questions -- what is the makeup of the friendly maniples?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #59
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No problem. At Asculum now there are two(Oscan Lt. Infantry and Etruscan hoplites). From Ariminum to the north two more could be sent(Oscan Lt. Infantry, Etruscan Skirmishers) and from Arpi to the south another two(velites, Oscan Lt Infantry).
Old 06-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #60
chesapeake
College Starter

I'm not sure that is enough quantity to offset what looks to be better quality.

Leave a credible garrison and let's get a move on.

Lawcius, finish packing my gear and take one last shot at producing an heir. We march at sunrise.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #61
chesapeake
College Starter

Regarding the Urbs, is the 25.2k paid up front or is it paid out over the life of the project. If the former, we'll plan on ordering it next year. If the latter, I think we start it now. We're running a good profit and I imagine more population = more tax base.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #62
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeak
Regarding the Urbs, is the 25.2k paid up front or is it paid out over the life of the project. If the former, we'll plan on ordering it next year. If the latter, I think we start it now. We're running a good profit and I imagine more population = more tax base.

Well, you can't start it now. One project at a time, so it'll have to wait until the roads are finished(unless you chose to cancel that, which would be a lot of time and money wasted).

The payments are always up front btw, it's a one-shot deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
Lawcius, finish packing my gear and take one last shot at producing an heir. We march at sunrise.

Rofl! Well played.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #63
law90026
College Benchwarmer

My lord, I tried my best last night to produce a heir. I may have difficulty riding today.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #64
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
My lord, I tried my best last night to produce a heir. I may have difficulty riding today.

How, exactly, do you sit in your saddle? Perhaps you need a little more instruction in heir production.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #65
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Perhaps I shall sample your wife to ensure she is properly fertile. For the good of the Republic, of course.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #66
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Moving right along then ...

Praetor Mus sets off for the Apennine passes, and Quaestor Luscinus heads north from Capua to oversee Roma for the time being.

More urgently, it was time for Coruncanius to launch his assault.

Siege of Thourioi
Spring, 278 BC

The rams and towers approached the walls, preparations complete and time for the bloody business to begin.

They didn't all reach the destination. Flaming arrows fired from the towers caused some minor casualties among the infantry, but also set the battering rams on fire.

The towers were more sturdy. A group of principes made it to the walls first, and were contronted by hoplites on one side and toxotai(archers) on the other when they emerged.

Once all three towers reached the walls, the toxotai were quickly annihilated and, pressed from both sides, the hoplites were eventually crushed as well.

With the walls taken, the gates were opened and more spearmen attempted to stop the invading Romans. Pressed on three sides, it didn't take long for them to be beaten back.

The army marched into the city en masse, and Philiskos made his last stand in the central plaza. It didn't last long.

The brutal fighting on the wall and in the streets of the town took some toll, and Coruncanius lost 3,000 men to capture a settlement of only 2,000. For the first time in a decade and a half, the Republic has expanded it's borders.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 AM   #67
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

In the aftermath of Thourioi, the location of another previously unknown Aiakid town east of Rhegion came to light: Lokris Epizefroi. The Senate has declared capturing it and the capital at Kroton a top priority.

In the meantime, the Carthaginian siege at Messana has resumed ...

Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #68
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

In the summer, Laevinus assaulted Herakleia, and resistance there was less effective. They didn't even both trying to defend the walls, with toxotai and hoplites blocking path down the streets instead. They barred the way for a while, but the overwhelming press of the attackers gradually pushed them back.

Coffeium lost just under 600 men, and another village has entered the Republic by force.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #69
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Battle of Kroton
Late Summer, 278 B.C.

Tiberius Coruncanius continues to get all the 'fun' stuff. After reaching the outskirts of the capital, he noticed that more men have been recruited there in an effort to stave off his invasion. Additionally, from the west arrived an old friend of his son-in-law the younger consul ... Aegon. They struck first, not even allowing him time to properly set up a siege.

Slightly outnumbered, he turned his cavalry on Aegon before he could join the city troops marching out to meet him. Soon the young upstart was no longer an annoyance ... permanently.

The main part of the battle was quite unusual. Rather than an organized clash of the main lines, the enemy's disorganized approach led to several pockets of fighting all over the field, some in the open, some in the woods, some on the edge of the two such as this depiction of Aiakid Brutii swordsmen and the Principes of the Republican troops.

Despite the fact that he was slightly outnumbered to start the battle, Coruncanius faced an enemy lacking much sense, and certainly lacking any kind of coherent strategy. A thousand Romans still fell, but about 8500 of the enemy did as well, the few who remained were last seen running back to the capital as fast as they could.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-28-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #70
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Decius tried to infiltrate Tarentum to provide more intelligence or even possibly compromise the defenses. It didn't go over too well ...

Before his demise, he did send work of another town southeast of Tarentum, Brentesion. The campaign to kick the Aiakids out of Italy grew a bit.

Well to the north, Praetor Mus met the revolt of Decimus on the road south from Asculum. The disorganized mess of a resistance was soon sent scattering across the plains to the east near the coast.

About 450 men were lost.

Late in the season, the Senate also approved trade agreements with a representative of one of the larger Gallic factions in the north. There seems to be little downside here ...

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #71
chesapeake
College Starter

Hunt down the rebels to the last man. No prisoners. Barbarians resisting Rome are simply foolish and ignorant and can be allowed to learn from their mistakes. Rebels are traitors to the Republic and deserve only a traitors fate.

Build a new spy in Rome.

Use the diplomat to scout terra incognita.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #72
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The rebels dissipated after being defeated, so that chapter is closed. The other two will be done.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #73
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Winter, 278 BC
Second Battle of Kroton

It was finally time for Coruncanius to commence his attack. The Aiakid capital is actually more lightly defended than other cities in the region with walls made of wood not stone, and most of the defenders were eliminated in the first fight here. It did not take long for the gates to be battered down.

Another ram punched a hole in the wall itself, and once the infantry entered the city it's defenders were overwhelmed, pressed on both sides.

Suffering only very minor losses, Coruncanius took the Aiakid capital, dealing our enemy a serious blow. The Senate's appreciation extended to a 5k donation to the treasury, half of which will be used to repair the damage to the walls.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-01-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #74
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

One final note from the Winter of 278 that requires me to explain the process of assimilating new major provinces(such as the recently conquered Kroton, former capital of the Aiakid Dynasty). The military conquest is just the beginning, we must initiate a fairly time-consuming, multi-stage process before the new province becomes a fully functional, productive client member of the Republic. The process of assimilation is crucial, and the Senate prioritizes funds required for it above all other concerns. To take any other approach would be extremely hazardous, risking a full-fledged revolt in the new province.

The first stage began this winter in Kroton with the acceptance of the Deditio ... short for 'deditio in fidem populi Romani', or 'handing themselves over to the faith of the Roman people'. This costs nothing from the treasury and typically requires one season, but is a very dangerous time. The commander of the occupying army goes into hiding during the transition, as the recently defeated subjects will almost invariably engage in all manner of public disturbance and it can quite often be the case that this is more hazardous to the army trying to establish order than the actual initial armed conflict and siege of the primary settlement was. At the conclusion of the Deditio, the province will have fully accepted(voluntarily or more likely by force) the reality of Roman rule, and a basic level of stability is achieved. Troops cannot be levied at this point, it's merely the establishment of order.

Briefings for 277 BC are now being prepared ...

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-02-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #75
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The rebels dissipated after being defeated, so that chapter is closed. The other two will be done.

So there is no one left to hang from crosses on the road back to Roma? Poor planning on my part.

Lawcius, convey my order to the legions to prepare to return to Roma. And make a note in the log that the next time we crush rebels, save some to crucify on the way home!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #76
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

277 BC
STATE OF ROME

Provinces: 22(9 major, 13 minor, +1 and +2)
Navy: none(no change)
Army: 97.88k(+7.6%)
Citizenry: 213.3k(+16%)
Annual Income: 215.9k(+4.4%)
Annual Profit*: 36.75k(17%)
Treasury: 24.82k(+22%)

The past year saw the Republic go on the offensive against the Aiakid Dynasty for the first time, annexing the minor provinces of Herakleia and Thourioi along with the capital at Kroton. These victories have demonstrated Roman superiority in southern Italy, a victory which is expected to result in the complete suppression of all resistance on the peninsula within the next couple of years. Winning the peace may be more challenging domestically: riots in Kroton resulted in the loss of more than 2,000 soldiers and nearly 20% of the civilian population, as well as a delay in the implementation of the Deditio.

Tarentum is expected to fall this year, though it is uncertain how long it will take to pacify Kroton/Tarentum enough to allow the consuls to move on to other objectives. Tribunes will be assigned as soon as possible, and Secundus Cornelius Dolabella is moving south to Kroton for that purpose as we speak.

The following chart presents the present analysis of the top factions in the region of the Western Med., based on intelligence, rumor, inuendo, and out-and-out guesswork:

White = Republic of Cathargo
Red = Republic of Roma
Light Blue = Aiakid Dynasty
Navy Blue = Dynasty of Antigonos
Green = Kingdom of the Aedui

The power base of the Aiakid has definitely been shaken and they are still dangerous, but clearly a second-rate power. Rome has taken over the second spot, but still lags behind Cathargo considerably. One hopes that our interests don't collide anytime soon, and that the current alliance of convenience holds ...

The Aedui are another ally of convenience, and we have no relations at all with the Dynasty of Antigonos which holds sway in eastern Greece.

The Senate has responded to our expansion with the authorization of more offices:

Tribune -- Maximum of 8(up from 4)
Quaestor -- 4(up from 2)
Aedile -- 2(unchanged)
Praetor -- 2(up from 1)
Consul -- 2(unchanged)

More offices will be created each time the Republic reaches a new multiple of 10 in total provinces held(20, 30, 40, etc.). The expansions this year moved the number from 19 to 22, triggering the new positions. At the moment 18 offices are available, but the number of available qualified candidates is only 8. There are two cavalry commanders in training for greater responsibility, but only one more expected to come of age in the next five years.

Two daughters were born into the line of Coruncanius this year, most notably the first 'fourth-generation' child, Dryantilla, daughter of Lawcius and Fadia. So much for her rumored infertility, although his legacy would obviously be enhanced by having a son. The 'family tree' has been updated in the OP along with other relevant facts.

Beyond our borders, the most significant news is that Carthago has outlasted the resistance of the Messanians, expanding their holdings in Siciliy as can be seen from the new maps. Also notable is a new trade agreement from a loose federation of barbarian cities and villages, which was signed in recent weeks. They have expanded our knowledge of certain areas of the surrounding world, including two towns to the north of our immediate neighbors in northern Italy(Bononia and Genua). The neutral provinces of Brixia and Mediolanum lie between these and the Alps, effectively completing the charting of the Italian peninsula for all intents and purposes. Beyond the Alps, however, they were unable to impart any knowledge.

Praetor Mus is now eligible to be considered for the position of Consul. Aedile Arvina will be promoted to the new Praetor posting, which will place further demands on the army as a fourth field army is now required. The Senate will be dividing Republic territory between the two Praetors now.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium and Praetor Mus, your thoughts are requested on the current Senate policies. Additionally, Coffeium may weigh in(or not) on who you consider a better choice for Consul, Mus or Coruncanius.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #77
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Coruncanius has proven himself on the field of battle. I support him as Consul for another term.

I believe our plans should be twofold. First, it is time to march north, securing Mediolanum and Brixia as the northernmost outposts of Rome. By force if necessary.

Second, it is time to commence planning for our invasion of Greece. Plans for men and ships need to be laid, that we may claim all of Greece for Rome.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #78
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Senate Ballot, 277 BC

Consul Appointments: Laevinus Coffeium and Mus
Adoption: Exceptional
Diplomacy: Calculating
Tax Policy: High
Spending Policy: Military

Two notable changes this year. First, Mus has been promoted to Consul and will take over Coruncanius' army at Kroton as soon as he can journey there. Age was the primary factor here: at 58, Coruncanius is nearing the end of his days. He has served Roma with distinction and honor through multiple campaigns, and will be enshrined in history as the key figure of the Pyrrhic War with his leadership of the critical victory at Grumentum and the sacking of the capital at Kroton just last year.

The second is that the Senate recognizes a need for more leaders to administer the growing Republic, and intends to slightly ease its standards for the adoption of new candidates until there are more qualified men in the pipeline.

Briefing: Commander Amul

You are now 17, four years away from tribune eligibility. You remain at Roma, ostensibly devoting yourself to studies, and have gained a reputation as one who has the 'favour of the Gods'. Practically speaking, this manifests itself in increased influence, but also an element of arrogance that makes you more likely to fall victim to the blade of an assassin, should your career merit the attention of one.

Briefing: Commander Lawcius

You will arrive back at Roma in the coming months, where you will see your daughter Dryantilla for the first time. Apparently your efforts at producing an heir were partially successful before the journey to Asculum. At 18, you are about three years away from a tribunate.

Briefing: Consul Mus

You journey now to Kroton to take command of your army. Upon arrival, further details will be given you. The journey will require at least a year, probably a bit longer.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-31-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #79
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Briefing: Consul Laevinus Coffeium
Army: 680 personal cavalry, 720 Equites, 1840 Oscan javelinmen, 6360 Campanian hoplites, 100 Oscan infantry, 1540 Samnite infantry, 800 funditores, 1100 velites, 3280 hastati, 220 principes, 80 triarii. Total men: 16,720, with more hastati expected to join you soon.

Occupation Orders

The immediate matter before you is the siege of Tarentum, with an assault expected in the summer once siege towers are complete. You have overwhelming numbers at this point, and they do not appear to have significant ability to resist. Upon capturing any major province, you must decide how to treat it's occupants. Transition of government and looting of the finest goods(valuables including the best of their men and women for your 'personal use', however you may choose to define that). Beyond that, there are the following options:

** Occupation -- take no further action
** Enslave -- Half of the population is forcibly relocated to those other provinces under the direct control of important Roman leaders.
** Exterminate -- Most of the population will be killed by your men in a punitive mass murder, and all of the possessions of those slain appropriated to the Roman treasury, with several times the value of the basic looting of the finest valuables resulting in most cases.

At this moment, you are advised that Tarentum is the second most populous city in all of Italy, second only to Roma with a population in the upper-50s(thousands). Because the Senate disburses infrastructure funding based on population, your decision here will affect not just your personal historical legacy in terms of how you treat defeated enemies, but also the economic future of the Republic both short and long-term. Occupation will result in a much more difficult transition to pacify the city, but Tarentum would become a major economic contributor to the Republic once this was achieved. Enslavement will redistribute the population resulting in the other provinces gaining an economic boost at Tarentum's expense, and extermination would provide a short-term economic boost but diminish the long-term benefit of capturing the city as there would be relatively few citizens left to tax.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium, if the assault on Tarentum is successful, your men will move to complete the conquest of southeast Italy as you have directed by taking the small town at Brentesion. At that point you will receive a more detailed briefing on the known Aiakid holdings and prospects for invasion beyond Italy as you have indicated. Your orders regarding how to treat Tarentum in the event of a successful siege are required at this point, and you are on the clock.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #80
chesapeake
College Starter

Do we still need 2 armies in southern Italy? It would seem that Roma has things well in hand there. I would propose moving my new troops up the peninsula to meet me and then heading up north to deal with our other war against the Genuans.

The only caveat would be is if Coffeium has to hole up in Tarentum for a year or two to assimilate the city. In that case, it would make sense for me to go mop up.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #81
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Kroton isn't stable enough for the army to leave. When it is, you can do with your men as you wish.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #82
chesapeake
College Starter

Any intel on the army near Lokris?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #83
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We cannot simply occupy the city. An example must be made, and fresh laborers are always a welcome sight.

Half the population shall be sold into slavery. Minus a few choice pieces for my personal retinue, of course.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #84
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the Greeks have landed some more men, from western Greece I think, over there. I'll give you details on that when you arrive, there's nothing you can actually do until then.

Coffeium's orders have been noted and sent out.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #85
chesapeake
College Starter

Coffeium -- do we want to take the war over into Greece after we secure the peninsula or do we want to offer peace? We may need to involve ourselves with the Carthage problem sooner rather than later. The only reason I ask now is that our diplomat is on the other side of Italy and will need some time to get into a position to initiate talks with the Greeks.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #86
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My initial thought is no, though I'd like to get some eyes into Greece proper to see how their military stands. If, as I suspect, the bulk of their forces have been eradicated in this war, we would be fools to let the pressure off of them.

Furthermore, we're not ready for Carthage yet. We need a larger powerbase with which to raise new legions, not to mention a sizable fleet. That powerbase can be established from Greek spoils.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #87
chesapeake
College Starter

Do we have a newly built spy?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #88
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The new spy is headed to the northern border until the praetor situation gets itself organized(there effectively aren't any right now while Arvina gets in place and Coruncanius journeys north from Kroton, a very temporary situation).

Also, it might be useful for me to remind the consuls that they don't have the authority to offer any peace agreement with the Aiakid Dynasty, but they also don't have to work in concert. You can send your armies in opposite direction, with or without your fellow consuls' permission if you see fit.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #89
chesapeake
College Starter

I think we understand we can do our own thing, but it would be silly not to try and coordinate our activities.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #90
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Well that depends on your motivation .
Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #91
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Summer, 276 BC

It was a busy season. Commander Muli has attracted the loyalty of a procurator, adding 10% tax income to any settlement he governs in the future. The second stage of pacification began in Kroton. For Italian states this is known as the Civitas Sociorum, a two-year process which, when completed, will produce a highly stable government and the ability to recruit allied troops(which ones varies based on locally available skills of the population). The Civitas Sociorum is the current state of all allied provinces in Italy(except for Roma itself), so this will put Kroton on par with the rest of the outlying settlements in the Republic. Also, Roma's roads have been improved, but the needed infrastructure upgrade to the Urbs will have to wait as there is only about a third of the needed funds available.

Most importantly, Coffeium commenced his assault on Tarentum

The well-known Tarentine Leucaspides, or 'Whiteshields', manned the walls as the towers approached ...

They were quickly defeated by overwhelming numbers. The gates were taken and the legion marched through the city streets and on top of the walls, others cleared the way and ensured there would be no threats from above.

The city's defenders fought well and died fairly quickly. The afternoon's work lost about 2300 men, a small fraction of Laevinus Coffeium's army, but there was never any doubt about the outcome. The crown jewel of magna graecia is now in the hands of the Republic. More than 25,000 citizens were taken and sent to various points throughout the Republic, and as in Kroton the transition or deditio was to begin.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #92
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I forgot to mention that the beginnings of a navy began to be built at Capua in the summer as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #93
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Notes, Autumn/Winter 277 B.C.

** Galerius Pupius Puso(26), put forward by Laevinus Coffeium, has been approved by the Senate for adoption. His age means he may never reach consul rank, but he is impressively talented, skilled in command, management, and oratory, and is considered to be a particularly strong tribune candidate of which there is currently a major need.

** Sicily continues to be in a great deal of flux. We have no knowledge of what is happening in central or western areas of the island, but in the east the Messanians have successfully thrown off Carthaginian rule -- for the moment. The city is under siege once again. Meanwhile to the south, the hostile village of Tauromenion has been occupied by the Aiakid Dynasty, adding to their holdings there.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-11-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #94
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

276 BC

Spring is here again. With the fall of Tarentum only mop-up operations remain to secure all of Southern Italy under the control of Roma, and population is up nearly a third while the army swelled to six figures for the first time.

At the same time however, an enemy diplomat has twice bribed reinforcement units heading south over the past year. Newly appointed Praetor Arvina has ordered the recruitment of a pair of assassins to deal with the situation. Any Aiakid agent, regardless of station, is to be 'eliminated' on sight within the borders of the Republic so long as the war lasts.

The Senate is also concerned with a developing long-term problem: four provinces, including Roma but also Arpi, Grumentum, and Arretium, are developing overcrowding issues, concerning the populace and stunting growth. With the lack of any particularly immediate threat to our borders, it is expected that funds will be diverted from the army to domestic affairs ...

Consuls Laevinus Coffeium and Mus, your thoughts if any on policy changes are now requested.

STATE OF ROME

Provinces: 23(10 major, 13 minor, +1/no change)
Navy: none(no change)
Army: 102.6k(+4.8%)
Citizenry: 276.1k(+29%)
Annual Income: 239.6k(+11%)
Annual Profit*: 49.64k(21%)
Treasury: 31.05k(+25%)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #95
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Once the south is secured, I'm thinking I take the legions across the sea into Greece. We will "aggressively" scout, and secure a foothold there.

I daresay my co-consul should venture north, to expand our holdings there. If our people need more room, we'll make some.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-12-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #96
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I should point out that the overcrowding isn't due to lack of room, the cities just need to be upgraded periodically and there hasn't been money for it, partly due to most of the money being spent on the army.

I.e. conquering new provinces will do nothing to alleviate the squalor/overcrowding issue(though it always helps to have more taxpayers).
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #97
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

AHhh yes. I forgot about that mechanic. Been a long time since I played that one.

But still. Greco delenda est.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-13-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #98
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Once your adventures in southeast Italy are complete, I'll give you a rundown of what we know of their holdings in Greece and Sicily.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #99
chesapeake
College Starter

We do need to focus more resources domestically.

I also think we need to work on the navy. I don't know how the game mechanic works here or how historically accurate the map is. But without a navy, I don't know how we would get the legions to Epirus or keep them supplied. It is a long walk if we have to go by land -- particularly if it took me a full year to walk through half of Italy.

As I recall, the first map of Italy we saw when the game started showed an Aiakid navy prowling about. I presume that is still lurking out there somewhere.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #100
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FYI, the navy is being done -- construction of the first quadriremes began in Capua last summer. Supply is a non-issue. Travel time is one though, and sailing across the Adriatic is a heck of a lot faster than walking around it .