Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
mac88
n00b

who covers the te and rb in a true 3-4

Hey everybody, does the slb normally cover the te in a true 3-4? Is there a diagram as to who covers who anywhere? I never really looked into it, thanks!

mac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

it doesn't really work that way...there is no x-axis or even assignments in coverage

the defender is assigned via probability and where they are playing: man/bump, short zone or deep zone

this is based on my small data study
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
user name
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
it doesn't really work that way...there is no x-axis or even assignments in coverage

the defender is assigned via probability and where they are playing: man/bump, short zone or deep zone

Is it possible for you to expand on this some? Does that include the game plan option to put your best cb on their best wr?
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the most useful way to think about systems like this in FOF is to somewhat forget what you know about real football, and think of it as a math exercise (designed to simulate the real thing).

So, in real football... sure, the left side CB is man-up with the WR on that side, and has primary coverage there. But the whole scheme counts, too... if the free safety on that side gets pulled off his secondary coverage duty, it changes the play. On a certain level, the whole defensive structure matters, even for just those two guys "on an island."

So, in FOF... coverage is probably best thought of as a "cloud" function, where a soup is developed including the relevant ratings for multiple players. In doing so, the game probably recognizes a certain defender as key/central/whatever, and maybe his coverage rating/s get used extra, maybe a lot extra, as a modifier to this "cloud" calculation.

So... on a pass over the middle to the TE... the game seems deliberately likely to select your SLB as the central defender for that play. He'll get assigned the catch allowed if it happens, and if the play merits an internal dice-roll for specific events like a pass defensed, it will be that guy's ratings used (in whole or in large part). I think that, in this game, is as close to "the Sam covers the tight end" as we are going to get.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
mac88
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post

thanks ush!
mac88 is offline   Reply With Quote