Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #301
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Finally, I can't access the game during the day but I set my guy this morning for a first 50 minute trek to go do some more coal mining for two hours, then another 55 minutes ride to the town of La Vie Boheme, in the quadrant spotted to found our town. Should be there around 11am eastern to sleep in the hotel and recharge my batteries, with enough money in my pockets to found our town.

I plan on founding the first town tomorrow morning around 6 am eastern for it to be ready at around 2pm on that day. First invites will not go out until Wendesday evening and we'll see where we go from there. Pretty excited about the whole thing to be honest guys.

FM

woot!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #302
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I finally got myself to level 9 and am unsure if I'll be able to get to 10 today. My energy is low and I'll probably have to take time out to rest at a hotel today. One more level and I should be able to start putting up telegraph poles which brings in some nice cash and experience.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #303
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I finally got myself to level 9 and am unsure if I'll be able to get to 10 today. My energy is low and I'll probably have to take time out to rest at a hotel today. One more level and I should be able to start putting up telegraph poles which brings in some nice cash and experience.

and the occasional roll of wire that sells for $16 at any shop...

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #304
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
well maybe you are too demanding.

Without even sleeping in a hotel, you should be able to work 11 hours before completely running out of juice..

FM

I'm not sure I get the "without even sleeping in a hotel" bit, because if you don't sleep, you won't be back to 100 the next day.

From my figuring, you can work 9hrs a day if you sleep 8 and loiter 7. If you don't loiter for 7 hrs, then you start running a deficit that cuts you back to 7hrs of work a day (presupposing a 1st level broom closet sleep). I wasn't letting my guy loiter, which really isn't very realistic. And I even woke him up early one night to get the last item for a level boost, which was cruel of me. I have been working the poor little guy to death.

Realistic workday:
Code:
1 sleep 0 8 +8 2 sleep 0 8 +8 3 sleep 0 8 +8 4 sleep 0 8 +8 5 sleep 0 8 +8 6 work 12 3 -9 7 work 12 3 -9 8 work 12 3 -9 9 work 12 3 -9 10 work 12 3 -9 11 work 12 3 -9 12 work 12 3 -9 13 work 12 3 -9 14 work 12 3 -9 15 loiter 0 3 +3 16 loiter 0 3 +3 17 loiter 0 3 +3 18 loiter 0 8 +3 19 loiter 0 8 +3 20 loiter 0 8 +3 21 loiter 0 8 +3 22 sleep 0 8 +8 23 sleep 0 8 +8 24 sleep 0 8 +8 Total +/- +3
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #305
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Question - For the quest where you have to take down the posters, which job is that? Just use the putting up posters?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Question - For the quest where you have to take down the posters, which job is that? Just use the putting up posters?

Yep.

The object is to get the posters in your hand to show her (as though you "took them down") but the only way to get them is by putting them up.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-14-2009 at 01:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #307
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yep.

The object is to get the posters in your hand to show her (as though you "took them down") but the only way to get them is by putting them up.

Thought so. Thanks for confirming. Hopefully I'll hit level 9 tonight. I was sidetracked by having to get to level 8 w/o quests.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was sidetracked by having to get to level 8 w/o quests.

I'm having the same problem getting from level 8 to level 10. Only quest I've got in the loop I can do is the picking beans & apparently I suck at picking beans, even with my motivation kept high by doing other tasks in between rounds.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #309
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
I'm not sure I get the "without even sleeping in a hotel" bit, because if you don't sleep, you won't be back to 100 the next day.

From my figuring, you can work 9hrs a day if you sleep 8 and loiter 7. If you don't loiter for 7 hrs, then you start running a deficit that cuts you back to 7hrs of work a day (presupposing a 1st level broom closet sleep). I wasn't letting my guy loiter, which really isn't very realistic. And I even woke him up early one night to get the last item for a level boost, which was cruel of me. I have been working the poor little guy to death.

yeah, my calculations were too simplistic. You cannot let your guy loiter, I have this very strict "no loitering" rule in that if my guy is doing nothing for a long period of time, he goes to take a nap. It's even more important when you are part of a town since when you are working or loitering, you are open to being attacked in a duel a person sleeping in a hotel is off limit in terms of duel attacks. You are protected as long as you are sleeping.

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #310
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You can add Sheriff Cartman to the list for world 8. Still trying to get the hang of it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #311
dbd1963
High School JV

I should have written "cuts you back to 7 hrs of work between sleeps" rather than "7 hrs of work a day." If you can keep up with it, you can work your guy 7 hrs, sleep 8hrs, work 7, etc. And when you can get a better room to sleep in, you can increase the working day a bit. But then he's not a man, he's a machine! When does he visit Maya Roalstad and the other dancers?

It might pay to leave the town when you go offline if you think you are going to be a dueler's target.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, having gotten the last of the beans I needed and being down to just 13 energy, I'm now taking my first midday sleep in the game. That'll end just before midnight, meaning I can schedule at least four hours of work before I actually go to bed myself. Then work into the day tomorrow & sleep daytime again to rebuild health. Seems like that sort of rotation will work better to maximize productivity for me instead of trying to push energy all the way to rock bottom all the time and then only sleeping overnight like I've done thus far.

I'm now 88/110 toward level 10, should get that sometime tomorrow (either through work or by eventually getting the next quest XP bonus, which is from 5 sugar cane, of which I have one already on hand).
Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #313
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
It might pay to leave the town when you go offline if you think you are going to be a dueler's target.

one thing probably nobody here knows but every time you leave a town, You can't join another for a little longer period every time. For example, when I left the town I was last in, it told me I wouldn't be able to join a new one for the following 6 hours. No clue if that time goes down a bit as you stay in a town longer or not...

So, leaving a town every day wouldn't be a viable solution. Maybe if you knew you'd me inactive for a couple of weeks, but not on a daily basis...

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #314
chesapeake
College Starter

Yee-haw fellers! Chesapeake done joined up in World 8. I'm pickin' cotton in some field at 5,3 by y'alls' reckonin'.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #315
Danny
Head Coach

DanKD is level 12 and Huckleberry is level 6 now. I was able to earn 5-60xp per two hours branding cattle since level 8, so that has helped a lot in avoiding that level slow down.

I also skipped some quests which weren't that efficient. I still haven't done the beans or second poster quest.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, leaving a town every day wouldn't be a viable solution. Maybe if you knew you'd me inactive for a couple of weeks, but not on a daily basis...

Looking ahead, how exactly does the join-a-town process work? I know (?) that an invitation to join a town has to be sent, presumably you accept it & you're in but ... who can send invitations? Only the founder of a town? Someone else approved by the founder? Someone else?

Also, what happens when the founder of a town leaves (assuming there's some special status attached to the founder)? Does the founder choose a successor or is it by seniority, or some appointed position, or something else?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #317
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Question for the folks who have been playing this a while:

Is this something to be concerned about: In the current assignments screen, my clock is ticking down, which I guess means I am doing the activity (in this case scaring birds). But in the upper right corner of the main screen, it says "You are doing nothing."
Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #318
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Question for the folks who have been playing this a while:

Is this something to be concerned about: In the current assignments screen, my clock is ticking down, which I guess means I am doing the activity (in this case scaring birds). But in the upper right corner of the main screen, it says "You are doing nothing."

No, mine does that all the time.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
In the current assignments screen, my clock is ticking down, which I guess means I am doing the activity (in this case scaring birds). But in the upper right corner of the main screen, it says "You are doing nothing."

I haven't been playing but about 10 days or so but I had the same worry at first. Just refresh your browser window & it should update. I get that same conflicting info all the time but a refresh always synchs it back up. It's something in the java (or whatever the game is using) that doesn't automatically refresh each time.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #320
cartman
Death Herald

Gotcha, thanks. I guess that is also what happened earlier when I was doing one of the training missions. I had to fish for 30 minutes, and when that was done, I went back to the bartender, and it said I couldn't close the mission. So I went back and fished for another 30 minutes, but it sounds like a simple refresh would have done the trick. D'oh!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #321
chinaski
College Prospect

Okie, just hit level 10 - im going with a pure construction build (43 Construction atm, with 9 strength) - What is the preferred character class I should be going with for building the town?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #322
Danny
Head Coach

worker
Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #323
chinaski
College Prospect

Sorry should have been more specific, what subclass of worker?

Cowboy

Quaker

Craftsman

Mortician
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #324
dbd1963
High School JV

All the subclasses are the same right now. That might change later, but for now, it's just a picture.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #325
chinaski
College Prospect

Ah I see now, it makes no difference - I went with Craftsmen.

Woooo, now I dont look like Gary Busey anymore!

Last edited by chinaski : 04-14-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #326
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Ah I see now, it makes no difference - I went with Craftsmen.

Woooo, now I dont look like Gary Busey anymore!

LOL I was worried I'd be stuck looking like that....thank goodness it changes.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #327
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Where are we planning to build? Column 6, row 4?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #328
Danny
Head Coach

Yeah, where did we decide on building?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #329
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Looking ahead, how exactly does the join-a-town process work? I know (?) that an invitation to join a town has to be sent, presumably you accept it & you're in but ... who can send invitations? Only the founder of a town? Someone else approved by the founder? Someone else?

Also, what happens when the founder of a town leaves (assuming there's some special status attached to the founder)? Does the founder choose a successor or is it by seniority, or some appointed position, or something else?

Psst. Beware FM, Jon is hatching a plan for a coup

RIP

Last edited by Crim : 04-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #330
dbd1963
High School JV

Finally made lvl 9 AND I can finally pick beans. So lvl 10 may come tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #331
BYU 14
Coordinator

Suggestion

For those that have reached level 10 or who already know what you are going to be, I think we should ask FM to add our class to the roster on the first page? I am debating between Duelist and a Soldier, but am flexible if other classes are needed more. This will insure we have a good balance.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #332
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've already started putting all my points in trapping so im an adventurer for sure.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #333
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Suggestion

For those that have reached level 10 or who already know what you are going to be, I think we should ask FM to add our class to the roster on the first page? I am debating between Duelist and a Soldier, but am flexible if other classes are needed more. This will insure we have a good balance.

My list had classes and player levels in it
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #334
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Meh. I screwed upearlier because I am still hurting to do certain tasks. I am close to beans but I thought I'd have it. I am 20 or so XP from Level 9 so I am out doing some jobs now but after will probably have to cash out for the night. I better be Level 10 at some point tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #335
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am planning on Dueling so when it inevitably comes that I must go Outlaw on your asses I have an advantage.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #336
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
My list had classes and player levels in it

Did you do 2? The one I saw only had Frogman, or where you just going to update that list?

If so like I was saying.....great idea Danny
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #337
dbd1963
High School JV

Lol. I was thinking I'd either go adventurer of some type, or soldier, because it seems like they get defensive bonuses that would be helpful to the town.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #338
hawk4669
High School JV

Just hit level 8 and working hard towards 9...

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

A coup? Hell, I didn't even know we had an option to raise chickens. Cool
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #340
DeToxRox
Head Coach

7 XP away from level 9. Picking berries now but at 1/100 energy after this so this is it for tonight.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #341
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

quick town update before I go on to reply to a few posts. I'll be mining coal for the next hour and a half or so and will go to sleep after that. I have is currently at 43 so the 6 hours of sleep should give more than enough to be in top shape to found Troutville tomorrow morning around 6am EDT.

From then on, it'll take 8 hours for the town to take shape, bringing us to 2pm and I'll be able to log on to see the town when I get back from work tomorrow.

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #342
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

A town has three resident classes. Town's Founder(s), Town's Counselor(s) and regular residents. A founder can give the title of founder or counselor to as many people as he wants and a counselor can give the title of counselor to as many other people as he wants. If you take a look at a city's list of residents, the founders have black hats next to their name and the counselors have gray hats next to theirs.

Yes, an invite has to be sent for you to join a town. Founders AND counselors can send invites to join the town.

I have no clue what happens when a founder leaves a town and there are no other founders left. Is he even allowed to leave, that I don't know. I will name another founder for the town once we're set to go, as I will probably leave it within a week to go found the second town anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

yeah, that sorta crossed my mind, then I looked at my rusty shot gun (5-19 hit points) and considered my 8 points in shooting, 7 points in aiming and figured it would be his loss if he tried.

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #343
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Where are we planning to build? Column 6, row 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Yeah, where did we decide on building?

I'm going with the plan posted earlier in this post

Basically will be founding the first town on the lower location in this quadrant:

Second town will be founded shortly after in the upper left location, or thereabouts...

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #344
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Indiana Joe joined World 8. Still lower levels, so I will yell again when I hit around 10 I take it? Would be interested in joining a town, etc.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm going with the plan posted earlier ...Basically will be founding the first town on the lower location in this quadrant:
... Second town will be founded shortly after in the upper left location, or thereabouts...

Is there a reason not to go ahead and have one of the other level 10's found the second town while you're working on the first?

On the upside I can see that: securing the preferred second location, giving members who wanted to stash their money in a bank a place to do so (it at least appears that the bank & church are auto-built when the town is founded, is that right?), give us a chance to start accumulating a treasury for you/workers to build with when you move over there, allow a quicker start on the second level one general store (if we end up with members who can build relatively efficiently).

On the downside I can see that: it would take $300 out of circulation from the first town's construction fund, would take a member out of circulation for a day that could be spent leveling/earning, divides focus from the first town.

Just trying to understand the pros/cons of starting it/waiting to start it, probably something I'm not seeing here but if I don't ask I won't know.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #346
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have no clue what happens when a founder leaves a town and there are no other founders left. Is he even allowed to leave, that I don't know. I will name another founder for the town once we're set to go, as I will probably leave it within a week to go found the second town anyway.

From the forums, he is allowed to leave and it could put the town in a situation of having no founders. A support ticket to the admins is usually all it takes to get someone administratively promoted. Seems fairly common.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #347
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Is there a reason not to go ahead and have one of the other level 10's found the second town while you're working on the first?

On the upside I can see that: securing the preferred second location, giving members who wanted to stash their money in a bank a place to do so (it at least appears that the bank & church are auto-built when the town is founded, is that right?), give us a chance to start accumulating a treasury for you/workers to build with when you move over there, allow a quicker start on the second level one general store (if we end up with members who can build relatively efficiently).

On the downside I can see that: it would take $300 out of circulation from the first town's construction fund, would take a member out of circulation for a day that could be spent leveling/earning, divides focus from the first town.

Just trying to understand the pros/cons of starting it/waiting to start it, probably something I'm not seeing here but if I don't ask I won't know.

Oh, no cons at all that I can see. I was being more big brotherish, and not in the I'm watching you kind more the I'll take care of you kind and figured that $300 for one individual might be a tad hard to get by while I can pretty much get that in a day or so. Not boasting, simply stating a fact. As a matter of fact, I have $434 in my pockets and another $165 of sellable items so I'm $1 short of having the money for a second town. Of course, those $299 could be put to good use in getting a level two residence set in the first town, or a hotel for that matter...

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #348
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Church I'm pretty sure yeah, bank I'm not sure but looking at a 500 points town, it has both a church and a bank so I guess you're right. You can only put $80 in a level one bank though, still better in there than on you when you become a member of a town, i.e. duellable. (just made up that word there )

FM
Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #349
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is it column 6 starting from the top going down?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #350
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Is it column 6 starting from the top going down?

sixth column, bottom row. Hint: look at the blue square on the right side little map.

FM