Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #201
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

we'll let you know Cody.

I'll actually be in Chicago on the 30th sightseeing and then getting home at night and will most likely set myself up for a marathon all-weekend FM-session
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure if I want to hang out with DT around the time the game comes out after all...

Anyway, you guys have talked about what kind of rating your computers have for the game. Is there a link where you can find this out, or do you have to download the demo to do it?

the star-rating thing is apparently messed up.

and Pass - the game comes out on the 30th - but I'll be sightseeing around Chicago that day - I don't even think I'll get a chance to DL it until I get home that night.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #203
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Anyway, you guys have talked about what kind of rating your computers have for the game. Is there a link where you can find this out, or do you have to download the demo to do it?

I'm pretty sure getting the demo is the only way. My computer is 5 stars and it's not that great.

AMD 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00 Ghz
3 GB RAM
8600 GT with 256 DDR3

Thanks DT.

Last edited by cody8200 : 10-20-2009 at 09:40 AM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #204
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Fozzie and Todzilla play a lot of MLS - I myself tend to play in European leagues. They might even have some additional insight into how MLS is in this version...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #205
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Belgian and Dutch leagues are good places to start imo. There are no non-EU limits so you can sign anyone you want within your budget and there aren't so many matches to play like in some leagues (English lower leagues for one example - 46 league games and multiple cups) so you don't have to worry about squad depth as much, your best eleven can play every week unless there's an injury.

One of my favorite careers on CM 01/02 was taking a team from the Dutch second division to the Champions League Final, but it's also fun to take a mid-table team in the top league in BEL/HOL or an Anderlecht/Standard/Ajax/PSV/AZ and contend for the title immediately.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-20-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Question about signing limits since Fo brought it up. Is there a central site where you can view the various limitations as far as signing players go in the different leagues? I know that some leagues have age restrictions, amount of experience restrictions, etc. I always have issues trying to sign players from certain regions, only to find out that I can't do so even if he agrees to it. Thanks to anyone who can provide a good place to learn those rules.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #207
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dutch league is definately fun.

France is also pretty fun - there's a definate hierarchy up there at the top with say Olympique Marseille, so you be one of the big boys there are be sure to contend for the league title and make your goal to be to win a CL.

One thing I definately want to do in this version that I didn't end up getting to in 2009 is to start a dynasty as Athletic Bilbao (can only sign Basque players) and see if I can be a credible 3rd team in Spain to rival the big guys. Or at least get myself deeper into European competition.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #208
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Question about signing limits since Fo brought it up. Is there a central site where you can view the various limitations as far as signing players go in the different leagues? I know that some leagues have age restrictions, amount of experience restrictions, etc. I always have issues trying to sign players from certain regions, only to find out that I can't do so even if he agrees to it. Thanks to anyone who can provide a good place to learn those rules.

pretty sure in the game you can see (in 09 you could) on the league screen under rules. by the league screen i mean the same bunch of menus where you can see the league table...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
pretty sure in the game you can see (in 09 you could) on the league screen under rules. by the league screen i mean the same bunch of menus where you can see the league table...

But I'm assuming you can only view those rules once you're in the league, no? I'd like to be able to view all of them. At least in the 08 version, it was a bit tough for me to track down the various league tables.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #210
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think you can view them anytime - least as long as you have the league active.

i also think in 09 there was a league rules chart included in the manual wasn't there? or was that in prior versions?

if there's not one included then sortitoutsi.com will likely have one, and i'd imagine you'll find one linked in the SI forums before too long...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #211
Shepp
High School Varsity

There is a "View" that lists the league rules when you are looking at the "League Table". I've always found work permits to be a pain. I've never found an easy way to see if a player has played in enough caps to qualify.

Last edited by Shepp : 10-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
There is a "View" that lists the league rules when you are looking at the "League Table". I've always found work permits to be a pain. I've never found an easy way to see if a player has played in enough caps to qualify.

I think it's somewhat fun that there's varying rules. I just wish I had a better place to view them in a central location. It's a minor gripe on my part.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

I asked this in the other soccer thread but is there like a big ole graph or chart that shows you what leagues are associated with what tournaments and such. Like one that would show that the Premier League is associated with the FA Cup, etc. MLS is associated with SuperLiga, US Open Cup, etc.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #214
whomario
Pro Starter

I remember reading that this years version would process faster, is that correct or am i wrong ?

The one thing i hate about the game is that it takes so damn long to get going, i basically play 1 save game geting like 15-20 seasons in and then the new version comes along.

Itīs not like i donīt love all the detail, but i kind of miss the good old days in that regard.

How many leagues and which database size do you guys usually select ?

IMO to make it competitive in Europe into the highest levels youīd need England, Spain, Italy, Germany (well homer pick, might as well be just the top league) with at least the top 2 leagues active, then at least France, Netherlands, Russia, Portugal with the top league active.
All on large database.

Even then at some point thereīs top teams with greyed out players on the roster.

How much game time do you need per season ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #215
whomario
Pro Starter

@ rainmaker : Iīm afraid there isnīt. Itīs like 2nd nature to people in Europe and generally not very "interesting" to people in the US unless they happen to play FM

You just have to figure it out on the go, itīs propably not rocket science really if you browse through the league rules and look at the standings.

England is a special case really, other than that most European league systems are extremely similar to each other but every nation has a couple of rules applying specifically there and things like "who qualifies for which international cup" can vary over the years.

Just pick a league and then ask iīd say.

Last edited by whomario : 10-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #216
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I remember reading that this years version would process faster, is that correct or am i wrong ?

The one thing i hate about the game is that it takes so damn long to get going, i basically play 1 save game geting like 15-20 seasons in and then the new version comes along.

Itīs not like i donīt love all the detail, but i kind of miss the good old days in that regard.

How many leagues and which database size do you guys usually select ?

IMO to make it competitive in Europe into the highest levels youīd need England, Spain, Italy, Germany (well homer pick, might as well be just the top league) with at least the top 2 leagues active, then at least France, Netherlands, Russia, Portugal with the top league active.
All on large database.

Even then at some point thereīs top teams with greyed out players on the roster.

How much game time do you need per season ?

The demo goes faster and the match engine stutters far less often on my laptop, we'll see if that works in the full game as well.

For number of leagues I always pick the top division from USA, Italy, Spain, and England at a minimum. Sometimes I'll add the top divisions from some of the following: Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and France. The Russian league is getting better, I might start adding that in when I get the new game. I only add one or more lower divisions in the country I plan in playing in long-term, I like to keep the game processing quickly as possible. Large database, all players from USA loaded. This might expand by quite a bit when I build a new desktop in the coming weeks.

The in-game timer isn't accurate for me since I'll leave the game open and go browse the web or something while it's processing so I'm not sure how long it takes me to get through a season. It's certainly many hours and very much the opposite of my quick simming ways in OOTP and FOF, but I've grown used to it.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

At best when I get a game established and have an established rotation among players and a steady roster and everything, if I'm having a power-session and i'm relatively undistracted I can probably bust through a season in maybe like 10-12 hours?

but that's without making very many gameday changes or dipping into the transfer market really

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-20-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #218
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
i think you can view them anytime - least as long as you have the league active.

i also think in 09 there was a league rules chart included in the manual wasn't there? or was that in prior versions?

if there's not one included then sortitoutsi.com will likely have one, and i'd imagine you'll find one linked in the SI forums before too long...

I remember way back in the day (1998? 1999?) there was a nice folded chart that was included. That was very helpful.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #219
henry296
College Starter

I have a question about the back room advice. Every game so far, my Assistant Manager disagrees with the feedback from my other coach on all of the feedback. Do others see this?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #220
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I have a question about the back room advice. Every game so far, my Assistant Manager disagrees with the feedback from my other coach on all of the feedback. Do others see this?

yes, every time so far
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #221
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I asked this in the other soccer thread but is there like a big ole graph or chart that shows you what leagues are associated with what tournaments and such. Like one that would show that the Premier League is associated with the FA Cup, etc. MLS is associated with SuperLiga, US Open Cup, etc.

Last time we did that was either CM00-01 or CM01-02 (can't remember which) - it was a fold out chart which was HUGE, proved quite popular at the time BUT we only had about half the leagues in that version which are in FM and it'd most likely be rather impractical now I'm afraid.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #222
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Last time we did that was either CM00-01 or CM01-02 (can't remember which) - it was a fold out chart which was HUGE, proved quite popular at the time BUT we only had about half the leagues in that version which are in FM and it'd most likely be rather impractical now I'm afraid.

The idea strikes me that you could make a webpage with that information and people could access it that way.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #223
AlexB
Pro Starter

Just found out you can customise squad views - cool! Now I can get the info I want all on one... no... three screens as it turns out
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #224
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Just found out you can customise squad views - cool! Now I can get the info I want all on one... no... three screens as it turns out

That's a good add.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #225
AlexB
Pro Starter

Although a screen you set for the 1st team squad can't be used when viewing the reserves or youth from their base tabs by the looks of it, only by using the filters from the 1st team screen

Strange decision, but an easy workaround
Old 10-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #226
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what was the deal with the occasional BSOD when exiting the demo?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #227
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That'll be Windows letting you know you're still its bitch.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #228
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hahaha

no i thought i saw somebody say something about it either here on the SI forum
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #229
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i've now played 2 complete 6-month demo seasons...ready for the real game!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #230
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
i've now played 2 complete 6-month demo seasons...ready for the real game!!!

Quick, when was the last time you a) ate b) slept c) used the bathroom?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

a) about an hour and a half ago. i'm overweight...i eat plenty
b) about 5 hours last night (same as every night)
c) i had a really nice #1 right before lunch - got out all the coffee. As far as #2...it was probably last night when I got home from work?

It helps that I don't have anything else going on in my life to occupy my time all night like all you married/in-relationship dudes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-22-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #232
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, just checking, man. It's just a game - not worth pooping your shorts over.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 10-22-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What - you don't wear a poop sack?

DAMNIT BONNIE...YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SACK!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #234
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

something i'm wondering about - in the touchline shouts when you scroll down the list of tactical tweaks there are two "play more cautiously" and "take more risks" that always seem to be greyed-out...when will those come into play? anyone seem them be selectable?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bios will be generated for newgens

Oh, and if you click on the dot on the "analysis" screen for a shot/pass/tackle/whatever it will show you that highlight...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #236
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
something i'm wondering about - in the touchline shouts when you scroll down the list of tactical tweaks there are two "play more cautiously" and "take more risks" that always seem to be greyed-out...when will those come into play? anyone seem them be selectable?

Those are for the two extreme choices (contain and overload) on the starting strategy setting, I use them when up or down a goal in the last few minutes of a game. It's a way of making your tactics even more extreme than the two extremes, to either totally go into a shell or have every player bombing forward.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaaah okay.

so you can't use them with anything in between "contain" or "overload" then. Gotcha.

I've used contain and overload to hold leads or come back, but i hadn't ever gone in to see that those two tweaks were active at that point.

good to know.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #238
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i've got a match report saved i should upload - i played defensive against ManU at Old Trafford in the CL and came away with a 3-2 win (was 3-1 till a late PK goal they got).
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #239
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
OK, just checking, man. It's just a game - not worth pooping your shorts over.

Thank god for that - thought you were going for a new picture set for a minute there...
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #240
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
i've got a match report saved i should upload - i played defensive against ManU at Old Trafford in the CL and came away with a 3-2 win (was 3-1 till a late PK goal they got).

What's a match report? Is it just the line for line play-by-play text? Team stats? I've played the last few years and have never noticed such an option.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #241
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Just a reminder if you are using touchline shouts, they wont do anything if you gave a player specific instructions. So if i told McGeady to cut inside on his Instructions, the shout for hugging the flanks wouldnt have any effect on him. At least thats how it seems.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #242
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What's a match report? Is it just the line for line play-by-play text? Team stats? I've played the last few years and have never noticed such an option.

i said "match report" when i probably should have just said "match"

my bad. i saved the match file
Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #243
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

The 'match report' is the commentary in game in 'past tense' - ie. like you're reading the summary commentary which shows up on bbc.co.uk for most English matches.

In the game you can save down a 'packed match file' (.pkm) which contains all the data about the match. This allows you to load up the match and watch it, examine stats, report etc. at you leisure, email it to a friend and say "Watch this cool goal" ..... or more likely email it to me and say "My *@!* keeper let this trickle past him is that a bug?" (and no it isn't he was recovering from the previous save he did a second earlier and was off balance and unable to recover in time, work on your tactics ).
Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #244
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
Just a reminder if you are using touchline shouts, they wont do anything if you gave a player specific instructions. So if i told McGeady to cut inside on his Instructions, the shout for hugging the flanks wouldnt have any effect on him. At least thats how it seems.

Its if you use 'ye olde style' tactics that the shouts are ignored - if you use the new tactics interface (ie. .assign a player a role) then they'll be listened to.

Using the old style player instructions is tantamount to giving specific individual instructions to a player to fulfil a role during a match - ie. they're individual and as such he's focused on fulfilling that during a match and will ignore any vague shouts or arm waving from the sidelines during a match.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 'match report' is the commentary in game in 'past tense' - ie. like you're reading the summary commentary which shows up on bbc.co.uk for most English matches.

In the game you can save down a 'packed match file' (.pkm) which contains all the data about the match. This allows you to load up the match and watch it, examine stats, report etc. at you leisure, email it to a friend and say "Watch this cool goal" ..... or more likely email it to me and say "My *@!* keeper let this trickle past him is that a bug?" (and no it isn't he was recovering from the previous save he did a second earlier and was off balance and unable to recover in time, work on your tactics ).

i like what you said in the second paragraph - everyone's always complaining about things that trickle past them or goals that seem "weird" but i always try to build a little story for it that's believeable in my head before freaking out that it's weird. i don't think enough people do that.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #246
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Could there be a way to signal when a player is off-balance, or any other states that should otherwise be visible, maybe similar to the green cross or a yellow card?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #247
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
... is that a bug?" (and no it isn't he was recovering from the previous save he did a second earlier and was off balance and unable to recover in time, work on your tactics ).
QFT

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-23-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #248
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Its if you use 'ye olde style' tactics that the shouts are ignored - if you use the new tactics interface (ie. .assign a player a role) then they'll be listened to.

Using the old style player instructions is tantamount to giving specific individual instructions to a player to fulfil a role during a match - ie. they're individual and as such he's focused on fulfilling that during a match and will ignore any vague shouts or arm waving from the sidelines during a match.

I'm not still sure about that as i have read mixed thoughts about that in SI forums, even from different SI staff.

My understanding is that the sideline instructions would work only for those who just use general tactics without individualized instructions for each player (that in the game means, to those players who do not have that individual instruction checkbox checked).

My question is, when you set player roles... aren't you just using an interface wizard that auto adjusts that player particular instructions the same way you could manually if not using the wizard? If it works that way, it would also be auto checking the individual instructions for that particular player, so the sideline instructions wouldn't affect him either for those instructions.

Last edited by Icy : 10-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #249
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I'm not still sure about that as i have read mixed thoughts about that in SI forums, even from different SI staff.
I'll rummage in the code to double check later on tonight if I remember (I didn't implement this area I believe Kev did) - but I'm pretty sure what I said is correct.

Quote:
My understanding is that the sideline instructions would work only for those who just use general tactics without individualized instructions for each player (that in the game means, to those players who do not have that individual instruction checkbox checked).
Thats what I tried to say and how I understand it works.

Quote:
My question is, when you set player roles... aren't you just using an interface wizard that auto adjusts that player particular instructions the same way you could manually if not using the wizard? If it works that way, it would also be auto checking the individual instructions for that particular player, so the sideline instructions wouldn't affect him either for those instructions.

Yes you are BUT its presumed that if you've over-ridden someones instructions then you have a particular job in mind for them so it doesn't over-ride those players.

This is important because if you have a reckless defender who is always getting sent off and you've told him not to be a prat then you probably don't want his attitude changed when you tell the team to 'get stuck in', same idea if you have a winger who's told to stay open so that the team can use him as outfield distribution frequently - if you tell the team to pressure the opposition you don't really want him getting close to the opposition and losing your offensive outlet.

This sort of 'call' in the games design is always a 50-50 one tbh, it always makes some people very happy and others a little disgruntled ...

(hope that made some kind of sense and didn't confuse things further )
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #250
Icy
Pro Starter

Yeah i underestand it, in some situations it would be a good option to override individual intructions, and sometimes it would be a mistake, so maybe what we need for maximum control would be a checkbox for each player to set if we want sideline options to override his individual instructions or not.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote