Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #3351
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
[ x ] ̈̐̄̔̾͑͏̵͇̤̰c̠̘̗̹̰̬̱̝̖ͦ̒ͧ̿̌̿͘ḧ̫̙̬͇̳͍͔́̊͒ͮ́͂͡a̫̪͙͎͉̲ ͎̹͋͆ͮͪ̿ͪ͋o͇͉̒̊ͧ̃̋̈́̈́̀̕s̷͉̘̹̟̺̦̅͌.̵̮̝̠̎̈́̕͞ ̬̹̠͈̫͔͕̓ͭͮ̀̆ͪͅZ̩̻͎͓̯̲̓ͥͫͪ̎ą̹͔̖̖̱͍̥̞́̂̀̈ͭ͂̈̂͛l̨̮ͪ̒͌ ͦ̊ͧ̊͛͘͜]

WTF!?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #3352
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Izzo is taking the Cavs job
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #3353
Butter
Coordinator

Uh-oh. Hopefully they leave Brian Gregory alone.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #3354
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Early look at players primed for a breakout season in 2010-11........

Rivals.com College Basketball - Breakout backcourt players for 2010-11
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #3355
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

B12 coaches talk about changes with realignment......

Andy Katz's Daily Word: Big 12 coaches look forward to strong basketball league in 2012 - ESPN
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #3356
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Early look at players primed for a breakout season in 2010-11........

Rivals.com College Basketball - Breakout backcourt players for 2010-11
Peyton Siva is on the list but not Abdul Gaddy? Kind of a weak effort by that writer...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #3357
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......for those interested in some of the bigger recruits in the 2010 class. All of the games for the USA 18U team are being streamed on the internet this weekend. Here is the direct link to the feed.

FIBA AMERICAS

There's a list of the players on the team in this article.

Watch Tony Mitchell Play For Team USA U18 - MISSOURI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #3358
Radii
Head Coach

ping wolfpack and UMD fans...

Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else:

NC State Wolfpack hire athletic director Debbie Yow away from Maryland Terrapins - ESPN

How are Maryland and Pack fans reacting?

Last edited by Radii : 06-27-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #3359
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
ping wolfpack and UMD fans...

Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else:

NC State Wolfpack hire athletic director Debbie Yow away from Maryland Terrapins - ESPN

How are Maryland and Pack fans reacting?

State fans, at least on the internet, are reacting about what I expected. They hate it.

Well, that's probably being a little too general. It's more like 50-60% hate it, about 20-25% taking a wait-and-see (roughly where I am), and the rest are happy about it.

Realistically, though, there wasn't going to be a single hire out there other than maybe Wolfpack Club president Bobby Purcell who would have not drawn fire of some kind (and even then, there would have been some who would have complained about him since running a booster club is a different animal from running the whole athletics department)

Even so, the cliffjumping going on over this hire is astounding. Many who had openly applauded the new chancellor getting rid of Lee Fowler are already turning against him over this and a few more ridiculous ones are wanting to stop donations (at least to athletics) over this. The last 20 years have been so damaging to the collective psyche of the fanbase that I'm not sure we'll ever recover. Too many people have been too angry for too long and can't remeber feeling any other way, it seems.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #3360
MrBug708
Head Coach

“I'm not saying that winning national titles is not important; it is," Calipari said. "But if you told me we'd win a national title and no one gets drafted, or you go 0-for-20 against West Virginia and five guys get drafted, you tell me what you'd want.”
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #3361
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I love having Calipari as coach, but he's so full of shit.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #3362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow, that didn't take long. Spoke with a couple of AAU circuit regulars yesterday. Said that the NCAA is currently looking into multiple possible violations by Kentucky players, both current and some that left. Violations have to do with communications with agents both before they arrived at the university and during their time at the university. You had to know it was only a matter of time with Calipari in charge, but he's only been there for a year. Goodness.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #3363
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Sounds like your AAU regulars have been reading a bit too much TMZ.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #3364
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Sounds like your AAU regulars have been reading a bit too much TMZ.

Article already?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. Interesting that TMZ would be one of the first to report it. As badly as journalistic standards have slid in sports reporting over the last few months, I'm shocked that other outlets haven't leaked this yet.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/02/univer...ec-ncaa-probe/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-04-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #3365
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

The Sporting News wrote briefly about it, saying that UK hasn't been informed of any investigation by the NCAA. Who knows what might turn up, but I'm not ready to panic about it just yet.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-...-investigation
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #3366
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
The Sporting News wrote briefly about it, saying that UK hasn't been informed of any investigation by the NCAA. Who knows what might turn up, but I'm not ready to panic about it just yet.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-...-investigation

When Calipari is your coach, it's a waste of time to panic. Just hope that he lands a championship before you go on probation.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #3367
Logan
Head Coach

The weird gets weirder...recently fired Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez was arrested for shoplifting a $1400 man-purse from the Polo Ralph Lauren store in the Short Hills NJ mall.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #3368
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The weird gets weirder...recently fired Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez was arrested for shoplifting a $1400 man-purse from the Polo Ralph Lauren store in the Short Hills NJ mall.

If he was going for street cred for a future assistant's job somewhere, well, FAIL.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #3369
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy Jesus. Never has 6'7" forward Tony Mitchell looked this small. That dude is TALL. See photo in article.

Giant Sim Bhullar steals show at FIBA Americas U18 tournament - Luke Winn - SI.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-07-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3370
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Harris has been a constant soap opera since he signed with Georgia State. Curious to see if he makes it at UTEP, but from what I hear, there is some creative grading at UTEP if he is eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Our SID has said that Floyd wouldn't have offered the guys if he didn't think they would be eligible, so we'll see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And maybe playing for Floyd at UTEP will motivate him more. My impression was that when he was at GSU he just didn't care.

Jeebs - not sure if this worries you about the kind of players Floyd continues to recruit?

Rashanti Harris Ruled Ineligible for UTEP

Quote:
Saturday, August 21: Several online reports are saying that Rashanti Harris, the gem of the 2010 UTEP recruiting class under Tim Floyd, has been ruled academically ineligible. Newschannel 9's Beau Bagley attempted to confirm this with the UTEP Basketball Team officials, but they neither confirmed or denied the report. One UTEP official told Beau that there are some changes in the UTEP basketball team, and they will all be announced at once later this month or in September before the season starts. Harris did not play last year at Georgia State due to academic issues, then decided to transfer to UTEP.

Sucks for UTEP - supposedly this guy can play, he just can't get himself eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #3371
JeeberD
General Manager

Two of the guys Floyd signed wound up ineligible. Of course, he got a late start in recruiting and had to take some risks...those two didn't pan out. I have little doubt he'll have better success down the road.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #3372
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hey since this thread is bumped, Arkansas got its first 5 star recruit in a while, BJ Young. This guy burst on the scene last summer from relative obscurity. Pel was one of the first on him, and it paid off.

Who knows, this thing could turn around. Recruiting is certainly picking up, at least.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #3373
Logan
Head Coach

Why don't we have a basketball recruiting thread? Someone less lazy than me, get to work.

Anyway, Mike Rice has had an amazing start to his Rutgers tenure just four months or so in. This year's team will be terrible due to the current roster and recent transfers, but he's killing it (comparatively) with recruiting. He took less money from the school in order to build a better staff of assistants with great connections in NYC, Philly, and DC and it has paid enormous dividends. In a couple weeks we've gotten a commit from the #33 player on Rivals in PF Kadeem Jack, as well as top 150 players in PG Myles Mack and C Derrick Randall, plus another guy who ESPN graded at a 93 in Malick Kone. Expecting a couple other commits soon, and the 2012 class is off to a great start with a top 50 player in Jordan Goodman.

If Rice can coach like he did at Robert Morris with this level of talent that will be on campus in a couple years, he might just get the program into the top half of the Big East.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #3374
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Hey since this thread is bumped, Arkansas got its first 5 star recruit in a while, BJ Young. This guy burst on the scene last summer from relative obscurity. Pel was one of the first on him, and it paid off.

Who knows, this thing could turn around. Recruiting is certainly picking up, at least.

Of course, you forgot to mention that they landed him because there's a 99% chance this guy doesn't qualify. Pelphrey has nothing to lose I suppose.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #3375
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As the IRS investigation continues at Kansas, Lew Perkins steps down one year before he planned to do so. Pretty bad omen as to what is coming. If there are issues, you want this guy separated from the program before the #@$% hits the fan. Everything points to a 'resignation' while the chancellor pushes him out the door.

Athletic Director Perkins and KU part ways one year early - KansasCity.com
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #3376
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kentucky recruit may have been paid by an overseas team.........

Turkish Team Says It Paid a Top Kentucky Recruit - NYTimes.com
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #3377
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course, you forgot to mention that they landed him because there's a 99% chance this guy doesn't qualify. Pelphrey has nothing to lose I suppose.

Wrong. There is some chance he doesn't qualify. In fact, he has arranged things so that he can focus hard on academics. But, no, the reason he was landed was mentioned clearly in my post. The reason he was landed was not because he was academic risk. It was because Pelphrey was on him earlier than everyone else. Doesn't hurt that his family has some Arkansas ties, too, of course.

Many top teams had offered, and many huge names were approaching recently. He has not been a 5 star for a long time.

Saying there's a 99% chance he doesn't qualify is just wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-08-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #3378
Izulde
Head Coach

So far the only 2011 UNLV recruit I've found is Grandy Glaze who is a 3 to 4* recruit ranked between 120-140 nationally. Good thing is, he's a forward. Our frontcourt's pretty weak so he should be a pretty good pickup for the program.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #3379
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Is this how Missouri landed Tony Mitchell?
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3380
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Is this how Missouri landed Tony Mitchell?

Partially. Doesn't hurt to have over 50 wins the last two years and top facilities either.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #3381
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big warning bells going off today at KU in the aftermath of the Perkins resignation. Multiple people involved in the scandal surrounding the ticket department have agreed to testify and cooperate with authorities. Not surprising or coincidental that Perkins would 'step down' shortly before this announcement.

Ex-KU athletics officials seek sentencing delays - KansasCity.com
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #3382
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Wrong. There is some chance he doesn't qualify. In fact, he has arranged things so that he can focus hard on academics. But, no, the reason he was landed was mentioned clearly in my post. The reason he was landed was not because he was academic risk. It was because Pelphrey was on him earlier than everyone else. Doesn't hurt that his family has some Arkansas ties, too, of course.

Many top teams had offered, and many huge names were approaching recently. He has not been a 5 star for a long time.

Saying there's a 99% chance he doesn't qualify is just wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

You keep thinking that. I certainly understand that Arkansas fans are looking for ANY positive signs at this point around their program.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #3383
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
You keep thinking that.

I believe I will. Thanks for the permission.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #3384
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Partially. Doesn't hurt to have over 50 wins the last two years and top facilities either.

Some how I don't think facilities and wins were what brought Mitchell to Missouri given that Mitchell's recruiting list was Georgetown and North Texas. Nothing against those three schools because they are solid, but there weren't a lot of top schools recruiting Mitchell. MBBF, you need to realize you live in a glass house.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #3385
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Big warning bells going off today at KU in the aftermath of the Perkins resignation. Multiple people involved in the scandal surrounding the ticket department have agreed to testify and cooperate with authorities. Not surprising or coincidental that Perkins would 'step down' shortly before this announcement.

Ex-KU athletics officials seek sentencing delays - KansasCity.com

Is this really a big deal? Who didn't know that these people who make six figure incomes and have high priced lawyers were going to help with the investigation to lessen their jail time? And how exactly does this impact Perkins and Kansas? If anything, Kansas would not have allowed Perkins to retain his bonus if he were incriminated in any of this. So that logic doesn't make much sense. Maybe you see something I'm not seeing though. Your argument would make sense if Lew Perkins wasn't given his bonus and he simply resigned. That was not the case however.

Do I know why Perkins resigned immediately? Nope. The rumor is that he was wanting to hand pick his successor and that the new chancellor was not interested. This seems to be supported as the guy Lew would have handpicked is the current interim AD and the Chancellor has already said he will not be a candidate despite his interest in the job. Personally, I would feel safer with Lew Perkins picking the new AD then I would the new Chancellor. But maybe I'm wrong about her.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #3386
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Kentucky recruit may have been paid by an overseas team.........

Turkish Team Says It Paid a Top Kentucky Recruit - NYTimes.com

Least surprising news ever.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #3387
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Some how I don't think facilities and wins were what brought Mitchell to Missouri given that Mitchell's recruiting list was Georgetown and North Texas. Nothing against those three schools because they are solid, but there weren't a lot of top schools recruiting Mitchell. MBBF, you need to realize you live in a glass house.

It was Georgetown and Mizzou. North Texas was the local school, but was more of a nod to the coach than any real interest. Any school that did not have an African-American coach was never under consideration, so that was the reason for the relatively abbreviated list rather than a lack of interest by other schools. Many major programs wanted him, but his mom wanted her son to go to a school with a black coach. I'm not saying that's the best reason to pick a school, but to say that the big legacy schools had no interest is simply false.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #3388
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But maybe I'm wrong about her.

You're wrong about Lew. Both of them have dropped the ball in a bad way and it's very harmful to the university and its reputation.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #3389
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It was Georgetown and Mizzou. North Texas was the local school, but was more of a nod to the coach than any real interest. Any school that did not have an African-American coach was never under consideration, so that was the reason for the relatively abbreviated list rather than a lack of interest by other schools. Many major programs wanted him, but his mom wanted her son to go to a school with a black coach. I'm not saying that's the best reason to pick a school, but to say that the big legacy schools had no interest is simply false.

Even before his mom got involved he had KSU and Arizona State as his "leaders". And we all know he gave an early verbal to KSU until his mom got a hold of him. ASU dropped off when they started doubting he would get his academics in order. Mitchell has long been a potential academic casualty and hence why he didn't get more offers from some of the bigger schools.

Personally, I still think his mom getting involved in the middle of the recruiting process is what ended up costing him his eligibility this year/semester. If he would have stayed in Florida where KSU placed him he likely wouldn't be having these troubles.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #3390
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're wrong about Lew. Both of them have dropped the ball in a bad way and it's very harmful to the university and its reputation.

How am I wrong about Lew exactly? I feel pretty safe in suggesting the reason Lew resigned now is because he and the new Chancellor were not getting along and he wasn't going to be allowed any say in who the next AD was.

How is it harmful to the university and it's reputation any more than the fiasco Missouri went through this summer flirting with the Big Ten? And I don't see Mike Alden resigning any time soon. The only guy in Missouri's athletic department who was vocal in the public about staying in the Big 12 was Pinkel.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #3391
MrBug708
Head Coach

You know you are a risk academically when ASU thinks your grades might be bad
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #3392
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why don't we have a basketball recruiting thread? Someone less lazy than me, get to work.

Anyway, Mike Rice has had an amazing start to his Rutgers tenure just four months or so in. This year's team will be terrible due to the current roster and recent transfers, but he's killing it (comparatively) with recruiting. He took less money from the school in order to build a better staff of assistants with great connections in NYC, Philly, and DC and it has paid enormous dividends. In a couple weeks we've gotten a commit from the #33 player on Rivals in PF Kadeem Jack, as well as top 150 players in PG Myles Mack and C Derrick Randall, plus another guy who ESPN graded at a 93 in Malick Kone. Expecting a couple other commits soon, and the 2012 class is off to a great start with a top 50 player in Jordan Goodman.

If Rice can coach like he did at Robert Morris with this level of talent that will be on campus in a couple years, he might just get the program into the top half of the Big East.

#12 so far in the Rivals recruiting rankings.

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - UK in familiar spot in 2011 team rankings