Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #401
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The only way the sixers were moving down was if someone would take Brand's contract and given them a pick in the top 5. They loved Turner and weren't sold on Favors, Cousins or anyone else they could have taken at 4.

I was under the impression they werent even sold on Turner. They were the wildcard coming into the draft.

Im not even a huge fan of Turner because he cant shoot but the Twolves need to do something to generate fan interest. 5 straight years of grabbing players that generate no excitement will turn a fanbase against a team in a real hurry.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-24-2010 at 11:19 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #402
stevew
Hall Of Famer

probably Brand and Nocioni IMO.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #403
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Why would any free agent want to go to New York and deal with a bunch of douchebags like all the Knicks fans in attendance??

lol

No doubt

Tho every year they do seem to love Adam Silver. I think it's the shiny head

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #404
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whoa - so if Miami clears off Beasley they could get Wade + 2 other max-contract FA's??

That'd be impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
That would be a disaster of epic proportions. I know that the NBA is a league where having a superstar increases your chances of winning the title. However 3 superstars and no body else is asking for trouble with a supporting cast full of bums. The ideal situation for Miami would be to get two max contract guys and used the rest of the money to make sure the top 8 in the rotation are versatile and rock solid.

A combination of Bosh, Wade and two tier 3 players would give Miami an outstanding starting lineup.

C - Tier 3
PF - Bosh - Tier 2
SF - Tier 2
SG - Wade -Tier 1
PG - Tier 2

Agreed. Or just keep Beasley to go with Wade, Bosh, and a couple of other guys. Three superstars are great. But even that won't win you games if you have nothing else on the team.

SI

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #405
Groundhog
Coordinator

I imagine there will be a lot of 2nd rounders and undrafted free agents hoping to get invited along to Miami's summer leagues.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #406
mckerney
Coordinator

Well that sucked.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #407
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Agreed. Or just keep Beasley to go with Wade, Bosh, and a couple of other guys. Three superstars are great. But even that won't win you games if you have nothing else on the team.

SI

Michael Beasley of the Miami Heat, NBA player stats

Just for reference, Beasley's currently a losing player. He gets destroyed at SF, and is barely a + player at PF.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #408
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How much is he being paid, tho? I mean, isn't he still under a rookie contract? I wasn't implying he was a star- just a usable piece.

SI

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #409
Groundhog
Coordinator

Beasley has been one of the more surprising busts IMO. He was so damn amazing in college that I figured there is no way he wouldn't be a 20-10 guy in the NBA, at least.

He's just been a completely different player in the NBA.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #410
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How much is he being paid, tho? I mean, isn't he still under a rookie contract? I wasn't implying he was a star- just a usable piece.

SI

About 5 million. When the money dries up this offseason, when teams refuse to use their MLE, etc, you can usually get 2 rotational type players for 5m. I'm not talking stars or anything, but I'd think they'd be much more likely to help you win.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #411
whomario
Pro Starter

Love the Thunder Great draft by them, imo, managing to fill 2 their 3 biggest need without reaching much (Cook as a shooter, Aldrich up front), get an expiring contract in MoPete, get one of their guys at the ideal spot for him and them (Tibor Pleiss) and get some value out of the picks they didnīt need this year.

For Pleiss this really is the dream scenario and Oklahoma made sure to get him with the first pick of the 2nd. This way he can stay in Europe without getting screamed at for screwing the franchise ("just" a 2nd rounder) and has more incentive to come over (although he definitely wants to, anyway) by not being limited by the rookie scale, which is also good for the thunder ultimately as we arenīt talking about 5 a year but propably 1,5/2 instead of just under 1.

For the Rockets iīm torn. Love Patterson as a player, but iīd definitely have preferred Aldrich or a trade for a decent Center.

Timberwolves go wing, but unfortunately they got the same player 3 times in Webbster, Johnson and Lazar Hayward ... OK, they arenīt all similar, but still thatīs 3 SFs that canīt create their own shot.
Good for Darko though

more comments later at work
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-25-2010 at 12:42 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #412
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Timberwolves go wing, but unfortunately they got the same player 3 times in Webbster, Johnson and Lazar Hayward ... OK, they arenīt all similar, but still thatīs 3 SFs that canīt create their own shot.

After going with Love to pair with Jefferson and build around 2 PF who don't play much D, and then going with 2 PG last year it wasn't too surprising.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #413
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Beasley has been one of the more surprising busts IMO. He was so damn amazing in college that I figured there is no way he wouldn't be a 20-10 guy in the NBA, at least.

Not really a surprise if you watched Beasley in college. Beasley is a great offensive player, but even in college he struggled on the defensive end. Frank Martin used to sub Beasley in and out of games near the end so that Beasley would just play on the offensive end and then sub out on the defensive end. Miami's coach is a stickler on good defense which I didn't know if that would help or hinder him. It seems like it's hindered him. Beasley needs to be traded to an uptempo team where he can focus mostly on offense.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #414
whomario
Pro Starter

I do however applaud the Wolves for taking Nemanja Bjelica in the 2nd round (pick coming from the wizards), the guy is really, really talented and has routinely played all 3 positions PG/SG/SF at 6ī10 in Europe and could be a Hedo Turkoglu type player down the road.

Paulo Prestes is also a good value pick, canīt be worse than Jawai ...

Hope he comes over next year with Rubio, than iīll have a lot of routing interest in the timberwolves

Sacramento really did take 2 interesting big guys in Cousins (obviously) but also Whiteside who has great potential if he ever pans out (and anyway, raking a super athletic C in the 2nd round is never a bad pick)

Overall a lot of (seemingly) quality or at least intriguing big men taken in the 2nd round :

Pleiß
Pittman
Whiteside
Varnado
Jerome Jordan
Prestes
Richards
Alabi
NīDiaye
Character
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #415
Logan
Head Coach

N'Diaye was a monster shot blocker in the Big East which should translate into the NBA, at least for the limited minutes he'll be playing. He's a lot of hustle on defense and has improved his offensive game a lot considering how raw he was. He'll need to add some size to really make an impact but he should hang on for a little while, at worst. Plus he's just a good guy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #416
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Michael Beasley of the Miami Heat, NBA player stats

Just for reference, Beasley's currently a losing player. He gets destroyed at SF, and is barely a + player at PF.

This was my issue with him when he got drafted. He seemed like he was in no mans land because he isn't quick enough to play SF or big enough for PF.
Quote:

SI

I would classify him as barely usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I never considered him amazing in college. the_meanstrosity explains why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Not really a surprise if you watched Beasley in college. Beasley is a great offensive player, but even in college he struggled on the defensive end. Frank Martin used to sub Beasley in and out of games near the end so that Beasley would just play on the offensive end and then sub out on the defensive end. Miami's coach is a stickler on good defense which I didn't know if that would help or hinder him. It seems like it's hindered him. Beasley needs to be traded to an uptempo team where he can focus mostly on offense.

I agree. Beasley needs to play on a team that is uptempo and doesn't put a huge premium on defense like the Suns or something. It's not like he doesn't try but he doesn't have the athleticism to stay with some of the premier small forwards in the league.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #417
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
This was my issue with him when he got drafted. He seemed like he was in no mans land because he isn't quick enough to play SF or big enough for PF.

I would classify him as barely usable.

I never considered him amazing in college. the_meanstrosity explains why...

I agree. Beasley needs to play on a team that is uptempo and doesn't put a huge premium on defense like the Suns or something. It's not like he doesn't try but he doesn't have the athleticism to stay with some of the premier small forwards in the league.

Knicks? Golden State?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #418
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do however applaud the Wolves for taking Nemanja Bjelica in the 2nd round (pick coming from the wizards), the guy is really, really talented and has routinely played all 3 positions PG/SG/SF at 6ī10 in Europe and could be a Hedo Turkoglu type player down the road.

Hope he comes over next year with Rubio, than iīll have a lot of routing interest in the timberwolves

Sacramento really did take 2 interesting big guys in Cousins (obviously) but also Whiteside who has great potential if he ever pans out (and anyway, raking a super athletic C in the 2nd round is never a bad pick)

Overall a lot of (seemingly) quality or at least intriguing big men taken in the 2nd round :

Pleiß
Pittman
Whiteside
Varnado
Jerome Jordan
Prestes
Richards
Alabi
NīDiaye
Character

Houston's notorious for buying second rounders so I was kindof surprised they didn't take a flier on Pleiss, Alabi, or Whiteside

SI

Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #419
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Knicks? Golden State?

Knicks = No way.
Golden State is interesting but what assets can they give us in return for Beasley besides allowing us to dump cap space? Maybe a draft pick or two would work.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #420
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Houston's notorious for buying second rounders so I was kindof surprised they didn't take a flier on Pleiss, Alabi, or Whiteside

SI

yeah, me too. Although in all honesty with Pleiß and Whiteside gone by Pick 3 of the 2nd and Alabi plumetting due to medical issues (Hep B i read) they propably didnīt see as strong a prospect left. Plus with that roster a raw player most likely wouldnīt be of much use.
Still would love for them to get a true C with shotblocking ability to back up Yao (Mutombo/Przybilla type player), but donīt know whose available by trade or free agency right now.

Donīt get me wrong, i love Chuck Hayes (aka best post defender <6ī7 ever) but still ...

Brooks/Lowry
Martin/Budinger
Battier/Ariza
Scola/Patterson
Yao/X

would be a damn nice rotation. Iīd be very much open to throwing in Brooks into a possible trade.

Patterson also apparently a high character guy with great intelligence and a team-first mentality, all the more fitting into this team.

@ noop : Morrow or Azubuike might be available, type of players Miami could use to surround Wade + X.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #421
korme
Go Reds

Patterson graduated from UK in 3 years. Smart guy. Love the pick there.

Also, whomario, on what planet does Ariza come off the bench for Battier?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #422
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Patterson graduated from UK in 3 years. Smart guy. Love the pick there.

Also, whomario, on what planet does Ariza come off the bench for Battier?

In my current 2K10 savegame, duh ...

In all seriousness though i would do that. You donīt allways start your best 5 players theese days. Battier would not be as effective playing with the 2nd unit imo as his main strength is defense and on offense he can hit the 3, off the bench he guards inferior players and doesnīt get as many open looks. Battier is also the best entry-passer on the roster. He should get all his minutes with Yao on the floor.

Ariza on the other hand wouldnīt get the touches he wants in the starting lineup. And while his shooting was crap for some time last year (post all star he was at 45% and 41% from 3 though), he showed much better ballhandling and passing skills than i would have thought possible, leading to 4.5 APG after the all star break, sth that you need when your first option (which i hope will be Yao again) is sitting down.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #423
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Daniel Orton just has bust written all over him , he even smells like a bust. Didn't do shit at Kentucky, weight issues, motivation issues, picked in the first round on potential alone. I dunno but I wouldnt be surprised if hes out of the NBA in 2-3 years.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #424
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know he lacks the skills and athleticism that people drool over, but I'm somewhat suprised that Omar Sanham didn't get drafted. Like Simmons or someone said, he has one good skill. Get him the ball in the post and he will convert at a good percentage. I think the Hawks signed him, should be interesting.

*I have no idea if he's actually only 6'8" or something, I didn't follow much of the draft coverage cause the Cavs didn't have a pick.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #425
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I know he lacks the skills and athleticism that people drool over, but I'm somewhat suprised that Omar Sanham didn't get drafted. Like Simmons or someone said, he has one good skill. Get him the ball in the post and he will convert at a good percentage. I think the Hawks signed him, should be interesting.

*I have no idea if he's actually only 6'8" or something, I didn't follow much of the draft coverage cause the Cavs didn't have a pick.

Hollinger's draft rater loved him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #426
whomario
Pro Starter

the thing is that unless you are really, really, really good at scoring in the post you donīt get touches to score as a big guy (or any player) and if then you have not many other skills itīs going to be difficult to get a shot.

The 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th player on an NBA team never get a play run for them, get into isolations or get the ball on the block.

Obviously he was a (much) better College player than most of the players drafted in the 2nd round (at least), but with a skillset and playstyle that in the NBA is reserved for the Top 3 guys on a team ...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #427
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I really hope you are right. The Timberwolves have tried this same thing numerous times in the past and it has never turned out athough comparing him to Hedo doesnt exactly make me jump for joy.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #428
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I really hope you are right. The Timberwolves have tried this same thing numerous times in the past and it has never turned out athough comparing him to Hedo doesnt exactly make me jump for joy.

Hedo-type player in the 2nd round ? What he has on Hedo is that he has an interest to play defense and rebound, if that makes you feel better ? (he really has, last year played for the serbian national team purely concentrating on those things when his shot didnīt fall)
Maybe the comparison is too easy anyway because of the shared euro-ness, but he has a pretty good feel for the game and passing ability, will love the NBA-style on offense (pick and rolls without 5 guys packing the lane f.e.)

I wanted to mention btw that the Blazers owner lost a ton of respect with the way he handled the Pritchard-situation, first firing his assistant of sorts and then ultimately firing the guy (for no good reason) an hour before the draft.
Pritchard rose to a higher level by still running the Draft for the Blazers...
Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #429
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hedo-type player in the 2nd round ? What he has on Hedo is that he has an interest to play defense and rebound, if that makes you feel better ? (he really has, last year played for the serbian national team purely concentrating on those things when his shot didnīt fall)
Maybe the comparison is too easy anyway because of the shared euro-ness, but he has a pretty good feel for the game and passing ability, will love the NBA-style on offense (pick and rolls without 5 guys packing the lane f.e.)

I wanted to mention btw that the Blazers owner lost a ton of respect with the way he handled the Pritchard-situation, first firing his assistant of sorts and then ultimately firing the guy (for no good reason) an hour before the draft.
Pritchard rose to a higher level by still running the Draft for the Blazers...

I suppose looking at it that way it would be a decent a pick Hedo seems like he shoots in the low 40 percent range most years and to me them players are more liability then help most of the time. Its one of the reasons Ive felt Iverson was the most overrated player in NBA history.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #430
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I suppose looking at it that way it would be a decent a pick Hedo seems like he shoots in the low 40 percent range most years and to me them players are more liability then help most of the time. Its one of the reasons Ive felt Iverson was the most overrated player in NBA history.

agree with that in principle, however Turkoglu allways had solid PPS stats, getting to the line at a decent clip and really didnīt take too many bad shots unless he went into heroe-mode...

also, it might be offtopic, but stil i just for the first time saw Ron Artests postgame interview and it would be a tragedy if thereīs anybody that hasnīt seen it yet so here it is :
Video: Ron Artest goes 2-for-2 in crazy postgame interviews - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

unbelievable funny stuff

"Kobe passed me the ball ! Heīs never passing me the ball. And he passed me the ball !! And i shot a three ... Phil didnīt want me to shoot the three... I could hear him in my head, Ron donīt shoot donīt shoot"

Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #431
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
also, it might be offtopic, but stil i just for the first time saw Ron Artests postgame interview and it would be a tragedy if thereīs anybody that hasnīt seen it yet so here it is :
Video: Ron Artest goes 2-for-2 in crazy postgame interviews - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

unbelievable funny stuff

"Kobe passed me the ball ! Heīs never passing me the ball. And he passed me the ball !! And i shot a three ... Phil didnīt want me to shoot the three... I could hear him in my head, Ron donīt shoot donīt shoot"

Via Bill Simmons...

Quote:
My four suggestions to spruce it up:
Suggestion No. 1:
Have real NBA players conduct the interviews with the rookies after they get picked. I'd pick three of the league's most gregarious stars (I'm thinking Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant and Grant Hill) and have them do it for every pick, almost like an NBA version of "The View." Wouldn't that loosen up the rookies a little?
Suggestion No. 2: Have two funny NBA players (I'm thinking Jared Dudley and Chris Kaman) rate the outfits of each pick as the draft goes along. Yeah, like you'd change the channel.
Suggestion No. 3: A David Stern cam. Put a camera on his tie and let's see where he goes between picks. I've always wanted to know.
Suggestion No. 4: We don't need a real sideline reporter for the draft. We're not breaking real news here. So what about Ron Artest? You're telling me he wouldn't want to prowl the crowd and interview parents, fans and coaches? Who's a bigger attention hog than him? More importantly, didn't we learn from the 2010 Finals that you can never have enough of this formula: "Ron Artest + live microphone"?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #432
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Iverson WAS the most overrated player in NBA history.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #433
whomario
Pro Starter

speaking of Simmons, pretty good read (half funny, half informative) on the Nets new owner : Bill Simmons: Mikhail Prokhorov guide - ESPN
Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons twitter
48 hrs ago: sportsbook.com had LeBron at +125 to sign w/ Bulls. Bosh was +300. Now? They're both -500. Hmmmmmm

How important is this site?

I'm pretty close to formally throwing in the towel.....unless the cap comes in crazy low(53m).
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #435
RainMaker
General Manager

Bulls May Be Front-Runners in James Sweepstakes - NYTimes.com
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

slight delusional ramblings...

My only hope of anything is that the Raptors agree to take a hodge podge of expirings/created deals/non guaranteed deals from the cavs. If they want to dump Hedo and Jose Calderon with Bosh, we can make that happen and save them a ton of money.

Basically Hedo plus Calderon plus Bosh would be roughly 37m this season. We could send them about 30m(which would be Mo Williams, Delonte's non guaranteed deal, JJ, some first rounders, Wally Szcerbiak getting paid), and 3million.

That's even assuming that he even wants to stay(LeBron)

Last edited by stevew : 06-27-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #437
RainMaker
General Manager

It's head vs heart. If he stays in Cleveland, it won't be because they found a way to get Bosh. Even with Bosh, it's still not as strong a supporting cast as he'd have in Chicago (assuming Bosh signs with Chicago too). It'll be because he feels too guilty leaving and/or just wants to stay there for personal reasons.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #438
RainMaker
General Manager

This article seems to imply that Miami is the favorites. Would be pretty wild if all 3 went to Miami.

2010 NBA free agents: LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade meet, discuss futures, sources say - ESPN
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #439
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How important is this site?

I'm pretty close to formally throwing in the towel.....unless the cap comes in crazy low(53m).
all it means is tons of people are betting on them to go to Chicago, nothing more
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #440
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This article seems to imply that Miami is the favorites. Would be pretty wild if all 3 went to Miami.

2010 NBA free agents: LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade meet, discuss futures, sources say - ESPN

Eh.

I mean there's only a finite number of possessions they can have during a basketball game...they can only score so many points. And I'm still not convinced that all 3 would mesh well together in terms of how they play. Both James & Wade need to play "on the ball" to get max effect out of them. So you're effectively limiting each of their number of touches by having them on the same team. Either one could probably use a Bosh, that's true.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #441
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brian Shaw as the Cavs new coach.

I have faith in the process, and I don't think we'll be going back to sucking like we did from the late 90s to pre-Bron.

Anyways, I was talking to one of my cavs buds....we were actually thinking that if we lose LeBron, it might not be a horrible idea to bring in Gilbert Arenas as a buy low opportunity. The Cavs are never going to attract a top level free agent, so cap space is irrelevant.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #442
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Chris Broussard the love child of Stephen A. Smith and Corky from Life Goes On? He's a tard.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #443
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

If this is true, the rest of the league should collude to not take Beasley in a trade
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #445
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So does this mean we'll just send the Miami Heat to the Olympics every four years?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #446
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The only thing is that the rest of their team will have to be almost min-sal guys. The cap is a little under $60 mil. If you sign 3 max guys, that's $49 mil. You have to have 12 guys against the cap, so even with 600K min guys, you are looking at $55 mil. So, basically, you will have Wade+Lebron+Bosh+ one MLE and a bunch of min sal players. Not sure how that holds up over 82 games.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #447
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Would they even be able to afford to sign their rookies at that point?

it'd be hilarious if the answer was no.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-29-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #448
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

First off, I know nothing about the financials of the NBA. But wouldn't it be possible that James takes a big cut(from his potential) pay so the surrounding cast isn't quite so horrible?

I am basing this on the thought that whatever money he makes on the court will be almost nothing compared to what he is making off it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #449
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The moment a superstar player takes a pay cut in free agency will be the first time it's happened. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #450
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The moment a superstar player takes a pay cut in free agency will be the first time it's happened. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
yup