Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #51
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I haven't seen anything anywhere that says he's definitely out, so we'll see.

http://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/15414983998

Quote:
Confirmed: Didier Drogba misses the #WorldCup after suffering fractured elbow. Bad news for him, Ivory Coast and #WC2010

Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #52
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Given the injuries and the fact that you already have set rosters, how would you handle this weekend's match against Australia? Obviously you want your starters to play together but you can't afford injuries at this point. Do you start Howard, Donnovan, Dempsey, etc?
I think these friendly matches are just as risky as a normal training session, you're rolling the dice every second of the day now. Players can still get hurt in the hotel, in the shower, wherever they go. The next few days there will be another player here or there who gets hurt and misses the World Cup afterall. With 736 selected players, it's bound to happen.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #53
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Nah, Ivory Coast has enough skilled players to still be good without Drogba.

We'll see.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #54
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thought I'd run this by you guys. Bill Simmons had a podcast with Michael Davies that focused on the World Cup.

One of the ideas floated was having the World Cup shift to 3 year cycles. Davies mentioned that FIFA has looked into it and may have interest. I think this would be great. While I like the fact that it isn't every year, I think 3 years is plenty and wouldn't take much from the luster off the World Cup. There is clearly demand and the tournament is a ton of fun. I'd even be OK with it being every other year, although that would cause issues with qualifying.

One of the arguments used is that sometimes you miss stars in their prime. If a player has his prime from 27-29, he may fall into that range where he never plays in a World Cup at his peak.

This would be almost impossible to do given how long qualifying takes in Europe and South America.

Those teams started qualifying for the 2010 world cup in August 2008. I'm not sure people realize how long a process this all is.

And inbetween World Cups are the confederation championships. the European Championships being the biggest (and these also have lengthy qualification processes).

Not seeing how it's plausible really.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If Drogba misses out, it's hard to downplay that. For my money he is one of the two best strikers in the world

Ferdinand is definitely out for England and will be replaced by a 5th Tottenham Hotspur player - Michael Dawson. I guess Gerrard will be captain at this point?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

No definitive word yet, but Pirlo may be out for Italy for at least a couple games too. He hobbled off with a calf injury.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

What say we just cancel this friendly with Australia and call it good?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. Before Landycakes breaks a leg.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #59
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yesterday I saw a documentary called "How to win the FIFA World Cup", they claim to have sold it world wide. A show where they list how the 32 competing teams in various stats categories rank, based on research done by students at the University of Groningen. For some stats they used the last 5 World Cups, for some they used the 2010 qualifying campaign and for some they used a combination to get a minimum of 6 games. Seemingly resulting in some categories being based on the current team and others being more culture based.

They listed stats, but they didn't show which stats correlate with becoming world champions and which don't, and they didn't tell how to improve those stats categories. To me, the correlation should be what you're looking for when you're claiming to have a formula for how to win and to live up to the title, you have to tell people a bit on how to improve those stats. One of the results was: "you need to have a good goalkeeper." Great, but Van der Sar retired and we can't magically turn our new goalkeepers from decent into world-class.

Anyway, in lights of the warmup friendlies sentiments, a thing I did found interesting: Australia and Japan came out of the research as fouling teams. Ghana, CameroonRigobert Song and Portugal were also mentioned in the discipline categories. Japan was the only surprising one to me, but in the warmups they're living up to their numbers.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #60
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Jon Obi Mikel reportedly misses the World Cup as well. Rough days for the Chelsea based players.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nice goal Buddle
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #62
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah, nice finish. Donovan had a good chance just before that. We've started well.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #63
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Oh dear. Findley timed his run well, beat the offside trap, took it around Schwarzer, then missed an open goal.

And now it's tied 1-1 after we decided not to mark Australia's best player on a corner.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-05-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

This back line is just horrible. The US has to win games 4-3 because they have no shot at keeping clean sheets.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #65
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Buddle gets another goal, heading in a great cross from Cherundolo. We're looking quite good this morning.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #66
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Findley hit the bar from five yards, not his day so far. The ball came out to Bradley and his shot was saved, Dempsey tapped in the rebound but the goal was wrongfully disallowed. Findley was offside but not interfering with play. USA should be 3-1 up.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was the right call. Findlay made a play for the ball even though he didn't get to it before Dempsey did

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-05-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #68
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Findley hit his pass a little too hard after a nice run, a better pass would have created a great chance for Buddle to get a hat-trick. A bad clearance by one of our defenders led to Howard making a good save after. It's been an open, entertaining game.

I would like to see Gomez get some PT soon. Onyewu is about to come on.

We need to defend corner kicks a lot better when the games start to matter.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-05-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #69
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

3-1, Gomez. Very nice passing in the build up to the goal, an easy sidefooted shot from the middle of the area from Gomez.

I'm a little surprised Torres hasn't played after doing well against Turkey. I guess it'll be Bradley and Clark in the middle next week.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-05-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #70
Easy Mac

hxxp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/painting/bethany-dempsey

NSFW pics of his wife from her body paint spread for Sports Illustrated. I post this just because I went to school with her. She always had a good body, but a busted face.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

So does Buddle get the call now if Altidore can't go against England?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #72
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The latest big name player with injury worries is Arjen Robben, with a hamstring problem. That'd be a huge loss for the Dutch.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSbu...layer_embedded
Old 06-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #74
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Loved it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The latest big name player with injury worries is Arjen Robben, with a hamstring problem. That'd be a huge loss for the Dutch.

gak!!!

seriously!!

i'm toying with picking the dutch to win it all...that might change my mind.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #76
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just saw the Robben injury. That's unfortunate (and a little bit amusing), but WTF is your best player doing on the field after 86 mins of the last friendly game before the World Cup? Everyone needs a warm up but seriously, I'm playing the backups after half time at the earliest, if not 30 mins.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #77
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

Awesome video
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #78
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just saw the Robben injury. That's unfortunate (and a little bit amusing), but WTF is your best player doing on the field after 86 mins of the last friendly game before the World Cup? Everyone needs a warm up but seriously, I'm playing the backups after half time at the earliest, if not 30 mins.
Robben sat out the first two friendles with a sore hamstring and just played the second half. In retrospect it was a horrible mistake to try him out, as we know he's the most fragile player on the team, but we'll need him in the knock-out games more than in the group phase.

We've still got a quality offense (Van Persie, Sneijder, Kuijt, Van der Vaart/Elia) with decent reserves (Huntelaar, Babel, Afellay). Losing him is rough, but we'll have to wait to see how severe the injury is. If he can play in the knockout stages, he's got four more weeks to recover. In fact, I think I'd prefer seeing Robben as our super sub more than anything.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #79
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

(AP) JOHANNESBURG (AP) - While many soccer fans expect Brazil to win the World Cup for a record sixth time, almost half of the North Americans surveyed predict an unexpected triumph for the United States.

Bookmakers rate Brazil and Spain as the favorites to win the title at Soccer City on July 11, with a worldwide survey released Tuesday showing that 34 percent of people are backing the South Americans.

But Nielsen Media Research said 46 percent of North Americans believe that the United States is going to shock the soccer world and take home the trophy.

The Americans are in form and beat European champion Spain last year but, other than the first tournament in 1930, have made it past the first round only once in a World Cup outside the United States.

That helps explain why, when everyone else's votes are included, the U.S. slips back to share second place with former champions Argentina, England and Germany - taking just 9 percent of the global vote.

It could be that the online survey, which quizzed 27,000 people, backs up the accusations of parochialism often thrown at Americans by soccer fans.

"It is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and Beckham isn't there now but he made an impact while he was there," said Toni Petra, the regional director for Nielsen Audience Measurement. "They know something about the game and have bought into it and the kids play it, but how much do they know? How much do they know about other countries compared to the average European?"

A separate study by Nielsen, which also provides TV viewing figures in the United States, suggested that while 34 percent of Americans consider themselves soccer fans, only 18 percent said they would follow the World Cup.

That's even after the men's national team surprised all observers by beating Spain to reach last year's Confederations Cup final in South Africa.

Such apparent disinterest contradicts the trend elsewhere, with figures showing that the World Cup attracts plenty of non-fans.

Worldwide, 34 percent of people say they are soccer fans but 51 percent will still follow the World Cup. The trend is even more pronounced in China, where the numbers are 19 percent and 60 percent, respectively.

"You've got this great sport but there's no way that North American or Asian fans are following the European Cup," Petra said. "It's just about being aware that Spain did win the European Championship."

Nielsen selected its respondents randomly for a base demographically representative of the population in each of the countries covered.

"It doesn't surprise me, these wild predictions," Petra said. "You wouldn't see the same responses in a survey of soccer fans. They'd be a lot more knowledgeable."
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's a shame. Hopefully when we fail it won't crush the enthusiasm.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
(AP) JOHANNESBURG (AP) - While many soccer fans expect Brazil to win the World Cup for a record sixth time, almost half of the North Americans surveyed predict an unexpected triumph for the United States.

Bookmakers rate Brazil and Spain as the favorites to win the title at Soccer City on July 11, with a worldwide survey released Tuesday showing that 34 percent of people are backing the South Americans.

But Nielsen Media Research said 46 percent of North Americans believe that the United States is going to shock the soccer world and take home the trophy.

The Americans are in form and beat European champion Spain last year but, other than the first tournament in 1930, have made it past the first round only once in a World Cup outside the United States.

That helps explain why, when everyone else's votes are included, the U.S. slips back to share second place with former champions Argentina, England and Germany - taking just 9 percent of the global vote.

It could be that the online survey, which quizzed 27,000 people, backs up the accusations of parochialism often thrown at Americans by soccer fans.

"It is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and Beckham isn't there now but he made an impact while he was there," said Toni Petra, the regional director for Nielsen Audience Measurement. "They know something about the game and have bought into it and the kids play it, but how much do they know? How much do they know about other countries compared to the average European?"

A separate study by Nielsen, which also provides TV viewing figures in the United States, suggested that while 34 percent of Americans consider themselves soccer fans, only 18 percent said they would follow the World Cup.

That's even after the men's national team surprised all observers by beating Spain to reach last year's Confederations Cup final in South Africa.

Such apparent disinterest contradicts the trend elsewhere, with figures showing that the World Cup attracts plenty of non-fans.

Worldwide, 34 percent of people say they are soccer fans but 51 percent will still follow the World Cup. The trend is even more pronounced in China, where the numbers are 19 percent and 60 percent, respectively.

"You've got this great sport but there's no way that North American or Asian fans are following the European Cup," Petra said. "It's just about being aware that Spain did win the European Championship."

Nielsen selected its respondents randomly for a base demographically representative of the population in each of the countries covered.

"It doesn't surprise me, these wild predictions," Petra said. "You wouldn't see the same responses in a survey of soccer fans. They'd be a lot more knowledgeable."

This seems to me, then, to be an excellent opportunity to make some cash off of my fellow countrymen.

Unfortunately, most of the guys I know who would care enough to bet on the Cup are Mexican emigres, and I can't blow smoke up their culos about how "good" the US is.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-09-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #82
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I bet one of the Mexicans I work with $10 that South Africa will beat Mexico.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

lmao... Good luck with that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #84
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
lmao... Good luck with that.

I'm actually rooting for Mexico to do well, but I never pass up a chance to antagonize.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #85
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's a shame. Hopefully when we fail it won't crush the enthusiasm.

The Aussie's success last world cup was 99% responsible for the explosion of interest in soccer over here the past 4 years. I'm interested to see what the reaction is like if we don't advance out of the group stages this year.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #86
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm actually rooting for Mexico to do well, but I never pass up a chance to antagonize.

Heh, heh, me, too. It's fun ribbing my amigos about the Cup.

I had a lot of fun joking around with them during quals, when USA ended up on top of the regional table.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I actually joined a blind draw $20 entry pool for the Cup the other day. Each entry gets two teams. Mine? Switzerland and Slovakia. Holy crap. That was just giving money away.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #88
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Why would you want Mexico to do well?!?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm with Karl. I like my Mexican friends, so I want Mexico to do well. I only want them to do one round less than the US. And if it happens to be directly at the US's hands, like in 2002, even better.

I save my actual disgust for teams that have earned it. Like Italy--they go down faster than a Tijuana whore for $5.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #90
MrBug708
Head Coach

You have some of the better friends Most of my friends think Mexico has the talent to beat Brazil and Spain, they just get screwed by the refs
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #91
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As long as they aren't playing us, I'd rather them do well than some Euro team. Gotta root for the CONCACAF teams!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #92
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You have some of the better friends Most of my friends think Mexico has the talent to beat Brazil and Spain, they just get screwed by the refs

Ha! Mine are no better in that respect. They're just better at accepting that there are some other very talented squads out there after all.

I have another $20 bet with one of my managers (he's also of Hispanic descent) where we only pay up if Brazil wins (I get $20) or if Spain wins (he gets $20). So at least I'll be able to root for one of the big teams.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #93
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I actually joined a blind draw $20 entry pool for the Cup the other day. Each entry gets two teams. Mine? Switzerland and Slovakia. Holy crap. That was just giving money away.

My friends and I do a draft pool, this year there were 10 of us, so we each got 3 teams. I drew the 10th pick in the draft.

Holy shit is there a dropoff after 9. My teams? The US, Chile and South Korea. Payout is for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams. I am pretty well screwed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #94
Icy
Pro Starter

It was just a friendly, but the Spain 6 - 0 Poland game yesterday was an exhibition of first touch soccer. In fact even the foreign press like French are saying that some of the Spanish goals scored yesterday should be showed at all soccer schools around the world. I recommend you to watch it if you can.

It was also nice to see Torres scoring again after two months out of soccer because a knee injury and surgery, he looks in top shape again. The bad news are that Iniesta got injured but seems something minor and he should be ready for the first game.

Let's hope we will do well like we did in the Eurocup and won't choke as we usually do in the big competitions even being one of the best teams.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #95
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

You never know. Korea made it to the semis in '02.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #96
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by article View Post

That's weird. So does being a soccer fan just mean that you watch your kids play or something?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #97
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
My friends and I do a draft pool, this year there were 10 of us, so we each got 3 teams. I drew the 10th pick in the draft.

Holy shit is there a dropoff after 9. My teams? The US, Chile and South Korea. Payout is for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams. I am pretty well screwed.

Chile could surprise.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #98
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
I have another $20 bet with one of my managers (he's also of Hispanic descent) where we only pay up if Brazil wins (I get $20) or if Spain wins (he gets $20). So at least I'll be able to root for one of the big teams.

I like your bet. My feeling is that you are never going to lose money betting against Spain in the WC.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #99
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Set up a couple of more WC fantasy games.

ESPN Soccernet Bracket Predictor:
http://games.espn.go.com/bpredictor/...?groupID=43245

Group: FOFC
Password: trout

ESPN 2010 WC Pick'em:
http://games.espn.go.com/soccerpicke...p?groupID=6372

Group: FOFC
Password: trout
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #100
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
South Africa played terrible over the past 3 years, but as they're playing at home, I'd probably take the South Africa side on the bet here as well.