Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #351
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
How is it that bad? US needs to take care of business and they advance. England should beat both of them anyways...

If the game had ended in a draw, three draws would likely have been enough for the US. As much as we do need to take care of business, i also wouldn't have minded a better "worst case scenario" for advancement.

Now we're actually under a reasonable amount of pressure on Friday against Slovenia. Technically speaking we don't HAVE to win.... but we kind of have to win. We definitely cannot lose.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-13-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #352
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Given that Slovenia are going to bunker like they did today, i wouldn't make too many changes.

Torres to replace Ricardo Clark (who i actually thought played great outside of his part in allowing the first goal), and Buddle to replace Robbie Findley.

We won't need Findley's speed, because Slovenia are always going to be staying at home. We're better off working possession more (hence Torres instead of Clark), and putting a finisher up front (Buddle) instead of the guy who really only gives us speed.

I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Clint does see time at striker and Holden gets a start here. Bob has options. Whoever we put out there should be good enough to get the job done though.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #353
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
If the game had ended in a draw, three draws would likely have been enough for the US. As much as we do need to take care of business, i also wouldn't have minded a better "worse case scenario" for advancement.

Now we're actually under a reasonable amount of pressure on Friday against Slovenia. Technically speaking we don't HAVE to win.... but we kind of have to win. We definitely cannot lose.

I was just thinking about this driving home, basically if we get extremely unlucky and somehow lose, you can kiss our advancement dreams goodbye. We do need to win this game, and if we win I like our chances to advance, a draw is meh and scary and a loss is we're fucked.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #354
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yikes - really? that'd be the end of our chances

1. He'll likely play.

2. Keeper is arguably our deepest position. I won't be panicked if we need a backup for a game or two (presumably Hahnemann... though it's kind of unclear who the actual #2 is).
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #355
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I was just thinking about this driving home, basically if we get extremely unlucky and somehow lose, you can kiss our advancement dreams goodbye. We do need to win this game, and if we win I like our chances to advance, a draw is meh and scary and a loss is we're fucked.

Yeah. a win is obviously good. A draw is scary but probably fine in reality. A loss = pack your bags and book the flights home.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #356
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Given that Slovenia are going to bunker like they did today, i wouldn't make too many changes.

Torres to replace Ricardo Clark (who i actually thought played great outside of his part in allowing the first goal), and Buddle to replace Robbie Findley.

We won't need Findley's speed, because Slovenia are always going to be staying at home. We're better off working possession more (hence Torres instead of Clark), and putting a finisher up front (Buddle) instead of the guy who really only gives us speed.

I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Clint does see time at striker and Holden gets a start here. Bob has options. Whoever we put out there should be good enough to get the job done though.

Not sure what game you watched. Clark was (by all accounts) ball-watching throughout the game, even after it cost the US a goal.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #357
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Not sure what game you watched. Clark was (by all accounts) ball-watching throughout the game, even after it cost the US a goal.

By my account he had at least 3 huge tackles in the game. Including one situation in which he wont the ball near the endline inside our own box in a dangerous situation, kicked it upfield, and was then the guy to win the ball at the top of the 18.

I don't give a shit what other people saw, i thought it was among his best performances in the US shirt.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #358
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Germany's my pick to win the whole thing. I meant to post up my bracket the other day in one of the threads, but didn't
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #359
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Klose with the miss of the tournament.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Heh. Redemption.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #361
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

That was a beautiful goal by Klose
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #362
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

and redeems himself imediately

on that miss the pass was unnescessary sharp though ... But whatevs, glad he makes this one. Finally a cross and voila His best game in months, right on cue

75% of the german "fans" would have left both goalscorers not just on the bench but off the roster entirely ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #363
kingfc22
Head Coach

This one is going to get ugly quick at this pace.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #364
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

German efficiency (you know, outside the world wars ) can be a wonderful thing to watch.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #365
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
German efficiency (you know, outside the world wars ) can be a wonderful thing to watch.

Plus this game at least they are doing it with nice, quick plays Everytime they play a quick ball or two the australians are scrambling around wildly.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #366
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They are a great team to watch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #367
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It's only 30 minutes, but I'm impressed by Germany. I remember watching their last competitive game, the vicorious wc qualifer vs Russia, they look better than they did back then.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #368
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Podolski is playing like a man possessed - beautiful passing, great goal, generally all around class.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #369
Groundhog
Coordinator

Jeez, so these Germans can play, huh?

We played pretty well for the first 2 minutes, but it's been all downhill since then... we are lucky to not be down 0-4.

Oh well, still glad I got up at 4am to watch the game, but damn is it freezing...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #370
MJ4H
Coordinator

How did we get Martin Tyler for our broadcasts? I missed that whole thing. Is this an international feed since everyone always bitches about how stupid our announcers are?

This is such a huge upgrade over finding a guy that does baseball to call the game for us. Or that JP Delacamara(??) guy.

Surprised they didn't try Lalas and Fowdy or something equally stupid. Very happy to get to listen to Martin Tyler.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #371
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That was a beautiful move. Germany looks like a real top class team here.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #372
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Germany looking great.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #373
whomario
Pro Starter

yellow would have been enough there ...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #374
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

And that was a ridiculous red card that just cost Australia their best player for the tournament, killing any chances of advancing.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #375
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yikes - now this could get ugly.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #376
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
yellow would have been enough there ...

Quote:
And that was a ridiculous red card that just cost Australia their best player for the tournament, killing any chances of advancing.

Agreed. Ridiculous call.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #377
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #378
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This could be 5-0 pretty easily. The Germans are just a class above.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #379
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Johnson was great - he absolutely exposed Bocanegra continually throughout the game.

If SWP hadn't come on for Milner then Milner would have picked up another booking trying to keep up with Cherundulo.

I think Marc was suggesting it should have Joe Cole and not SWP coming on for Milner
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #380
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
I think Marc was suggesting it should have Joe Cole and not SWP coming on for Milner

Aaah - fair enough. That makes sense.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #381
PilotMan
Head Coach

Germany has always been my #2 team behind the US, primarily because of heritage. I would pick Norway if they would ever get in, but that just sounds unlikely.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
How did we get Martin Tyler for our broadcasts? I missed that whole thing. Is this an international feed since everyone always bitches about how stupid our announcers are?

This is such a huge upgrade over finding a guy that does baseball to call the game for us. Or that JP Delacamara(??) guy.

Surprised they didn't try Lalas and Fowdy or something equally stupid. Very happy to get to listen to Martin Tyler.

All of the announcers were brought over from England except for John Harkes on the TV side. JP is actually doing radio coverage. In fact ESPN actually hired someone from either Sky or BBC to run the entire production. Of course there was a small bit of bitching when it was announced that the pendulum had swung too far by bringing in all the "foreigners".
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #383
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That was a beautiful goal. I'm not on the German bandwagon yet, but it reminds me of a quote:

"Football is a simple game: 22 men run around for 90 minutes and then the Germans win."
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #384
PilotMan
Head Coach

This game is starting to resemble my FM10 games with Brays Wanderers. We are getting steamrolled.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #385
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This could be 5-0 pretty easily. The Germans are just a class above.

Ssssh.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #386
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Germany making it look easy.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #387
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post

Yeah I agreed with Milner coming off for sure, but SWP wasn't the man to replace him imho ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Yeah I agreed with Milner coming off for sure, but SWP wasn't the man to replace him imho ...

That makes sense. I'd agree.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #389
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yes Germany clearly looks like the best team in the Cup that we have seen so far. Very impressive match.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #390
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, they might wanna stop the ridiculous dives though
Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #391
Groundhog
Coordinator

Seriously, you're up 4-0 after 92 minutes and you still take a massive dive? Glad he got a yellow there, what a stupid play.

Oh well, Germany are pretty damn good. That red card seriously sucked major ass. What a terrible call, and one that manages to pretty much eliminate us from advancing beyond the group.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #392
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
small bit of bitching when it was announced that the pendulum had swung too far by bringing in all the "foreigners".
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #393
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Sooo, the U.S. really needs to win the group now.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #394
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tim Howard was HUGE for the US in goal.. we jumped up like crazy when the England goalie let that one slip in. I'll take it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #395
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
USMNT

That's boring and somewhat disappointing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #396
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Wow, was doing some digging on a US team website, I never knew the Jon Walker I grew up with was the Jonny Walker that backed up Howard a few years back...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #397
MrBug708
Head Coach

Was he black, blue, red, gold, or green
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #398
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
thatīs a bit simple right here. German No1 Keeper Adler is missing the whole tournament with a broken rib, itīs not like a bruise or sth. Especially for a goal keeper any injury to the ribs is fatal ... You might be able to go the rest of a game on adrenaline, but after a couple days itīs a different thing. Wish him well definitely, but wouldnīt go to "heīll play no matter what" terrain yet ...

That's great about the German keeper. But, in this case, Howard is playing whether or not he has broken ribs. Mark it down.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #399
RainMaker
General Manager

A draw isn't as scary as some of you are making it out to be.

If England beats Algeria:
- We advance with a win over Algeria if someone wins the Slovenia-England match.
- We go down to the tiebreakers if Slovenia-England tie. I like our chances in that considering Algeria will have nothing to play for.

If England and Algeria tie:
- We are in with a win over Algeria.

If Algeria beats England:
- We are in with a win over Algeria.

So basically there is only one scenario in a draw that puts us at a risk of not advancing if we beat Algeria. And that one would seem to still favor us.

I'm not really sure how Bradley should play this. It's unfortunate that we play before England-Algeria. A tie puts all the chips in with Algeria, although being too aggressive and losing ends the any hopes.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #400
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

tough break by the danes
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote