Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #351
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Looks awesome.

Can't wait.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #352
Easy Mac

Agree. The scenes from the FIRST EPISODE look awesome. Just as it did last year. Then it all went to hell. I'm in for the long haul, because I need a good zombie show to watch, but I'm worried this is going to be Heroes 2.0.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #353
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Agree. The scenes from the FIRST EPISODE look awesome. Just as it did last year. Then it all went to hell. I'm in for the long haul, because I need a good zombie show to watch, but I'm worried this is going to be Heroes 2.0.

I guess it's entirely possible.

I loved last season. Thought it was fantastic from beginning to end. I feel it surpassed the excellent source material in most respects. Never felt like it "went to hell."

I get no sense at all of a Heroes 2.0 situation (none), but, then again, I got no sense at all of a Heroes 2.0 situation after the first season of Heroes. It was only during the second season did it completely fall apart.

I think the odds of that happening to this show are quite remote, but can't say it's impossible.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #354
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

TWD at least has vetted source material so long as they don't stray from that they can avoid the shit that Heroes turned into. Heroes felt like there were 354 writers writing it.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #355
bob
College Starter

My biggest compliant with this show was the opposite of my compliant in most movies / tv shows. In most movies, highly trained soldiers miss guys running 20 feet away with no cover. In The Walking Dead, every round fired is a kill shot.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #356
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just finished reading issue 51 of Walking Dead and it's one of my favorite comic books ever. I can't talk about it because it's waaaaay into spoiler territory, but the story is so personal and so powerful, I haven't been moved by a comic book like that in a long time.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #357
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
TWD at least has vetted source material so long as they don't stray from that they can avoid the shit that Heroes turned into. Heroes felt like there were 354 writers writing it.

Yup, some of the characters totally changed personalities multiple times in a single season. It was insane how badly it was written. Sure people change, but there's usually a journey that gets them to their new place. These guys just changed because they need to get to the next plot point.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #358
StLee
High School Varsity

Blasted blocked video outside of the U.S. Any YouTube link?

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #359
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Here you go.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #360
Kodos
Resident Alien

Might need to bust out Left 4 Dead for a zombie fix...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #361
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You could be like me and get addicted to Stupid Zombies.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #362
Kodos
Resident Alien

Some phone game?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #363
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Some phone game?

Yup! And it's crazy addicting, lol.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ugh. This is probably not a good thing:

‘WALKING DEAD’ SHOCKER: Frank Darabont Steps Down As Showrunner – Deadline.com

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: This is a quite a bombshell -- I have learned that Frank Darabont, the creator, executive producer and director of AMC's smash hit The Walking Dead, is stepping down as showrunner of the series, which is now in production on its upcoming second season. The news is even more surprising given the fact that Darabont was on hand for Walking Dead's Comic-Con panel just this past Friday alongside fellow executive producers Robert Kirkman, on whose graphic novel the series is based, and Gale Anne Hurd and appeared excited about Season 2. There is speculation that Darabont might be off the show completely, but I hear talks are still ongoing about him possibly staying on in some capacity. Darabont, who spent five years trying to get a TV version of the zombie saga off the ground and wrote and directed the AMC pilot, hails from the feature world, and I hear that he never quite adjusted to the daily grind of producing a TV series. Last December, he considered forgoing a writing staff for Season 2 and assigning scripts to freelancers but ultimately went for the traditional writing staff model recommended by the network and tapped Glen Mazzara as an executive producer and his No. 2. It is unclear if The Shield alum Mazzara, who has showrunning experience, would now step in to run Walking Dead. I hear that the behind-the-scenes turmoil has not affected production on the show, which continues as scheduled. Season 2 of Walking Dead is slated to premiere Oct. 16. In addition to huge ratings, the series has garnered awards recognition for its freshman season, including a best drama series Golden Globe nomination as well as DGA and WGA noms. In a Deadline Emmy Q&A last month, Darabont raved about his transition to television. "In TV, you have to get ideas across in a more economical way," he said. "But the process is fundamentally the same (as features), just accelerated. There’s no time for second guessing. The wheels are in constant motion. I love that about television. If I’d known how much fun it was, I’d have done it years ago."
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #365
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kinda surprising. Hopefully someone can step in and do a good job replacing him.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #366
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I say they should bring in George.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #367
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I say they should bring in George.

Romero?

Or for the love god, no. Please no...
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #368
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Kinda surprising. Hopefully someone can step in and do a good job replacing him.

It sounds like he just wasn't up for the daily grind of a tv series. It sounds like the work, time and pressures involved are a lot different than what's involved in making a film. Makes sense, I suppose.

I agree. Hopefully whoever replaces him is solid.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #369
MikeVic
Head Coach

It says some guy involved with The Shield could step in... I thought that was a decent show, so maybe this isn't a horrible thing. Seems like there is drama with this show though, wasn't the entire writing staff fired last season?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #370
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You could be like me and get addicted to Stupid Zombies.

Downloaded it a couple days ago. Good stuff! Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #371
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Downloaded it a couple days ago. Good stuff! Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing. It's a fun one. But I wish I wasn't up playing it late at night when I should be sleeping, lol.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #372
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I finished watching season one last night, picked it up from the library last week and watched an episode a night. I loved it, great first season, and I'm really looking forward to the 2nd season.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #373
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bump...

Just a reminder that season 2 begins on Sunday @ 9:00 PM EST on AMC.

Can't wait.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #374
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Going to be a hard decision come Sunday night- Which do I watch first Boardwalk empire or Walking Dead...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #375
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In preparation of season 2 (tomorrow!) here is a link to a very short little "Walking Dead" web series. There are 6 "webisodes". They tell the back story of that half-zombie from the first episode that Rick saw when he got that bike and that went back and killed at the very end in the park. For short, little web deals they're pretty good.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-webisodes-1-a-new-day
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #376
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In preparation of season 2 (tomorrow!) here is a link to a very short little "Walking Dead" web series. There are 6 "webisodes". They tell the back story of that half-zombie from the first episode that Rick saw when he got that bike and that went back and killed at the very end in the park. For short, little web deals they're pretty good.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-webisodes-1-a-new-day

Thanks for link, nice story to wet the appetite for tomorrow.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #377
Edward64
Head Coach

I was in Paris several weeks ago and walked by the Walking Dead poster. Nice ... Paris would be a great city for a zombie movie!

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-16-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #378
cougarfreak
College Starter

Walking Dead recently was added to Netflix as well. Good way to catch up.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bumpity for a reminder that Season 2 premiere is tonight a 9p (8 central)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bumpity for those DVR'ing it, the season premiere is 90 minutes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #381
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

zombies always creep me out and i have a hard time watching zombie movies
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #382
Swaggs
Coordinator

That wasn't a great episode for me.

Felt like a lot of running in place and very little action OR plot movement.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #383
gi
College Prospect

Upset by the ending, very contrived IMO. Didn't seem realistic to put the child in that situation.

Not the best episode in the series. Lot of setup.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Loved the opening segment, got us back to the zombie tension, was a great way to get everyone back into the groove for a new season.

The ending, eh, the shock value was enough to override any contrivance for me. I was expecting one of two really big things there, got neither of them, so it actually worked for me (and I see how it works for storyline purposes, both canonical & perhaps non-canon as well). For them to get where I think they're trying to go in the first half of the new season (we get 7 eps, then a break til February 2012 before the other 6 eps), I figure the group dynamic storyline stuff is going to have to move fairly quickly, because I think we'll move on to a new location for those last six,ending with the first half with major drama (and fatalities) in ep 7. Point being, I expect this might be the most action packed episode of the fall segment, I'm okay with the main plot being slowed a bit here since I fear we're going to be caught up in a lot of melodrama for the next several weeks.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-16-2011 at 10:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #385
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I liked it well enough.

The herd scene was well done. Very tense.

Some very good character moments.

Some solid zombie kills.

I was thinking about the idea of "plot movement". The plot is pretty much how these characters react to and survive a zombie apocalypse. It's not like "Lost" or any other episodic show where there is some giant over arching plot that the show is moving towards. The whole concept behind the comic, as stated a few times by Kirkman, is the "zombie movie that never ends." It's the trials and tribulations that this group of people face in a zombie apocalypse. Sometimes that will involve a lot of "running in place", missing children, time spent in traffic jams, etc.

There was a lot of setup, which is fine. They are drawing lines within the group, establishing some dynamics based on recent events and the like.

The ending is pretty much straight from the comic and a pretty big link to sort of the next "phase" in the series.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ending is pretty much straight from the comic and a pretty big link to sort of the next "phase" in the series.

Question, which I believe I can phrase in a way that there's no spoilering at all.
(I haven't read the comic series, but I've skimmed some summaries enough to know a little about the basics)

Q: I'm expecting the next "phase" to be wrapped up at the end of the first half of this season. Does that seem about right to you? (I'm gathering you know the original source material).
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #387
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Preview clip for next week's episode, just a conversation between T-Dog & Dale but it's a heck of an interesting conversation. Don't watch if you don't like having even smaller stuff spoiled for you.
http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dea...2-bloodletting
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #388
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thinking things over with the mention of Lost, it will be interesting if they can get things moving along well enough or jump forward somehow, so that they can avoid the Walt/aging factor with the kids in this show.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #389
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question, which I believe I can phrase in a way that there's no spoilering at all.
(I haven't read the comic series, but I've skimmed some summaries enough to know a little about the basics)

Q: I'm expecting the next "phase" to be wrapped up at the end of the first half of this season. Does that seem about right to you? (I'm gathering you know the original source material).

Yeah, I think that sounds right.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #390
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I think that sounds right.

I agree, that seems about where it will be too...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #391
gi
College Prospect

The ending just didn't seem believable to me, allowing the boy to do that. Didn't seem to fit with the characters and risk aversion.

Ignoring that, I agree with the points that the next six episodes look like they are heading in a interesting direction.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #392
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
The ending just didn't seem believable to me, allowing the boy to do that. Didn't seem to fit with the characters and risk aversion.

Really?

It seemed they spent the whole episode hinting that the kid was 'growing up', challenging authority, wanting to take on more,etc etc.

He was told to stay 'within eyesight' about a half dozen times, which he was clearly still doing. Oh well.

Overall, I liked it. For a show with a six or seven episode season, Id rather not have ANY idea whats about to happen or what direction things are heading in.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #393
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If people didn't like last nights ending they should give up on the show now because it only gets crazier (based on the books anyway).
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #394
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Last night's premiere of The Walking Dead scored around a 3.8 national adults 18-49 rating (up from last year's season/series premiere 2.7 adults 18-49 rating) and 7.3 million viewers for the 9-10:30p telecast.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #395
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Last night's premiere of The Walking Dead scored around a 3.8 national adults 18-49 rating (up from last year's season/series premiere 2.7 adults 18-49 rating) and 7.3 million viewers for the 9-10:30p telecast.

And set the all-time record for viewing of a drama on basic cable.

said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “That ‘The Walking Dead’ is now the most watched drama in the history of basic cable is staggering, just like our zombies.”
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #396
samifan24
Pro Starter

Am I the only one who thought that the ending sequence last night was a dream because of the way it was shot? I know from this thread that it wasn't a dream but still, I had that impression when I first saw it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Am I the only one who thought that the ending sequence last night was a dream because of the way it was shot? I know from this thread that it wasn't a dream but still, I had that impression when I first saw it.

I never thought "dream" ... I was thinking
Spoiler

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-17-2011 at 06:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #398
Subby
lolzcat

Way too boring, way too many hackneyed, contrived "personal drama" scenes. About 8 minutes of "red meat". The acting is terrible. A good example of this is Rick's monologue with bleeding Jesus (and his opening monologue...heck, any of his monologues).

The silver lining is that the zombie herd scene was awesome, so there is a little hope. Hopefully most of these actors get killed off this season (kill Shane...please?) and we get some better replacements.

Not as bad as the Vatos episode, but underwhelming.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #399
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It's interesting, because the single worst drawn panel in the entire series is the one where the kid gets shot. I think I could have drawn it. That said, it was much more interesting in the comic because you weren't sure wtf just happened. On the tv show, by the way the scene was set up, you instantly know it was an accident. Not sure why they decided to take out that element of mystery.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 10-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #400
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if it was Daryl's brother making the shot?

(I have not read any comics, so I have no clue)
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote