Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #401
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Redskins trade for RGIII draft pick makes a lot more sense now. They weren't going to be in on Peyton or Flynn, even if there was mutual interest.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #402
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Why in the world would you want him as a third QB instead some developmental QB? Are they going to try and trade Webb and use him as a backup maybe?

Vikings management is clueless. A lot of people from Minnesota disliked Denny Green for some reason but they have not been very good with player development and roster decisions since he left.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #403
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Why in the world would you want him as a third QB instead some developmental QB? Are they going to try and trade Webb and use him as a backup maybe?

Because Rick Spielman, that's why.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Redskins trade for RGIII draft pick makes a lot more sense now. They weren't going to be in on Peyton or Flynn, even if there was mutual interest.

I don't know, I saw a whole lot of justification for giving up those picks because they would be able to spend in FA to offset not having that talent infusion.

edit: Should clarify...that could make perfect sense for why they did it. My response might be better chalked up to why justifications for moves don't necessarily come to be from the armchair GMs all over the internet.

Last edited by Logan : 03-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #405
Ksyrup

Yeah, but they don't have a QB. And without one, they might as well quit and go home.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #406
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't know, I saw a whole lot of justification for giving up those picks because they would be able to spend in FA to offset not having that talent infusion.

This. They're going to have issues surrounding RGIII with talent now.

Best bet is probably for them to take the whole hit right away this year, let him know what their plans are and hope to get back into FA to get him some help next year IMO.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #407
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dallas and Washington are losing cap space for trying to be tricky with how they set up contracts last season.

Sources -- Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins lose millions in cap space - ESPN
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #408
Ksyrup

So putting my FOF GM hat on, am I on the right track in thinking this is what Dallas and Washington were doing?

Normal capped year contract:

5 year, $45M contract, $20M bonus, base salaries of $5M each of the 5 years (I know that's not how it works but just as an example)

Cap hit would be $9M each year - $5M base + $4M/year spread bonus.

Uncapped year contract:

5 year, $45M contract, $5M bonus, $20M 1st year salary (uncapped year), $5M each of the last 4 years

Cap hit would be $21M in uncapped year, $6M each of the next 4 years.

I don't know - maybe there were specific rules prohibiting that kind of playing around that affected capped years going forward, but since they're not calling it a "violation," my guess is only 2 teams figured out a genius way to use the uncapped year to their benefit going forward, and the other 30 teams got pissed because they weren't so smart.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #409
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Haynesworth contract had a 21 million dollar roster bonus that was due that year. They would have had to have ammoritized it in order to get under a cap. Since there was no cap, they didn't have to. Plus Hall's contract had a large roster bonus as well.

Last edited by stevew : 03-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #410
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, the NFL warned teams six times that there would be penalties if they used the uncapped year to dump money down the black hole.

Two other teams, the Saints and the Raiders, will not collect the 1.6 million a team that's coming from this due to minor violations of this directive too.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #411
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Moss to the Niners per Schefter
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #412
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Moss to the Niners per Schefter

Moss deserves it, we give that guy a hard time for quitting on plays, but damn, he's got the 5th most receiving yards All-Time...not bad for a guy who allegedly plays at 50%! I just wonder if he's got the ability in his old age to live up to the 49'ers receiver standard of being willing to sacrifice the body for amazing TD catches?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #413
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm not really thrilled about the Moss signing. I'm really hoping that the 49ers don't think "ok, we're good now" at the WR position, because that would be ridiculous. I had a conversation yesterday with some friends out at the golf course that I don't know that I totally buy, but it makes some sense to me. A friend posited the idea that Moss (at this stage of his career) actively makes his team worse. His rationale:

"Moss dogs it on plays. Defenses know this, so the safety can totally cheat off of him. Safety watches him at the snap - if he's jogging, leak over and double-team the other WR. If he's going all out, leak over and double-team Moss. Win-win scenario."

Not sure I buy it, but it made some alcohol-on-the-golfcourse addled sense yesterday.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #414
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I think this works for Moss. He'll be on a team that will simply cut him if he drags his ass. Hell, they cut Braylon Edwards while he was injured.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #415
Logan
Head Coach

They were pretty adamant about adding one WR through free agency and another with a high draft pick, so they better not be done...because coupled with the draft pick, they might end up realizing by week 4 that they only filled half of that promise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #416
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Houston also released right tackle Eric Winston, the former third-round pick confirmed on Twitter.

"Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories," Winston wrote Monday, "And great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet."

I now like Winston. For the first time I have read a Twitter quote that is actually written in english.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #417
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Harbaugh is such a no B.S. type of coach that Moss will work out well, or completely tank. It's a one year deal as well so minimal damage from the 49ers point of view.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #418
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Apparently, the NFL warned teams six times that there would be penalties if they used the uncapped year to dump money down the black hole.

Two other teams, the Saints and the Raiders, will not collect the 1.6 million a team that's coming from this due to minor violations of this directive too.

In other words, it was collusion. Christ, if the NFL had a real union and a media environment that was something other than sycophanty, they would have deservedly gotten reamed for this.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #419
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
"Moss dogs it on plays. Defenses know this, so the safety can totally cheat off of him. Safety watches him at the snap - if he's jogging, leak over and double-team the other WR. If he's going all out, leak over and double-team Moss. Win-win scenario."

That read and cheat needs to happen in about a second and a half. If Moss dogs it right from the snap it will take the entire offensive line to hold off Harbaugh
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #420
Ksyrup

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer
Scoopage: Take 1 name off the list of free agents set to hit the market today. Saints have just agreed to new 5 yr deal w WR Marques Colston
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #421
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not really thrilled about the Moss signing. I'm really hoping that the 49ers don't think "ok, we're good now" at the WR position, because that would be ridiculous. I had a conversation yesterday with some friends out at the golf course that I don't know that I totally buy, but it makes some sense to me. A friend posited the idea that Moss (at this stage of his career) actively makes his team worse. His rationale:

Not sure I buy it, but it made some alcohol-on-the-golfcourse addled sense yesterday.

Moss, assuming he is being anywhere close to the Moss of old, is perfect for your offense. He will put pressure on the safetys allowing the run game more openings and he will force teams into less aggressive defenses allowing Smith to work Vernon over the middle.

If he is the complete asshole he was after he left the Pats hopefully Harbaugh picks up on it soon enough and cuts him. My gut feeling says he plays well for you this year. His trend is piss people off, build himself back up, before pissing everyone off again. He is at a proving doubters wrong point right now which is usually when he is at his best.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #422
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
In other words, it was collusion. Christ, if the NFL had a real union and a media environment that was something other than sycophanty, they would have deservedly gotten reamed for this.

Yes. Basically, the teams agreed to a salary cap outside of the CBA.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #423
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Re: Colston re-signing. That's good for the Saints. Colston's had knee issues, but when healthy, he's been a stud.

Some team will overpay for Meachem in Free Agency. I don't know if I've said it here or elsewhere, but Colston would be a stud on any team. Meachem is a product of the Brees/Payton system. He's Az Hakim.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #424
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Colston was the WR I was hoping the 49ers would land (assuming V. Jackson went elsewhere). Outside of the knee concerns, I think he's awesome.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #425
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Colston was the WR I was hoping the 49ers would land (assuming V. Jackson went elsewhere). Outside of the knee concerns, I think he's awesome.

I think that y'all were the team for whom he made the most sense if he did hit FA.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #426
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nah, Meacham is the guy I want - Colston is great, but more epxensive - Meachem has real upside. My guess now is that the 49ers will pass on free agency and instead draft a guy (Stephen Hill?) in the 1st round (along with resigning Josh Morgan). Too bad; I think there's an argument for getting a Mike Wallace type and going for it, so to speak.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #427
bhlloy
Coordinator

Whoever gets Vincent Jackson is getting a stud. I look forward to seeing what he can do on a team with real coaches and a front office that isn't filled with douchebags. Sigh.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #428
Ksyrup

Rex Ryan@Fake_Rex_Ryan
Who wants to guess what Free Agents house I'm parked outside of? #NYJ #NFL
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #429
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Bears re-sign Tim Jennings to two-year deal.

Not sure what the terms are, but I'm glad to have him back. Solid tackler and a good DB to start opposite Peanut.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #430
spleen1015
Coordinator

Glazer is tweeting that Miami has traded Brandon Marshall to the Bears for 2 3rd rounders

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #431
Ksyrup

Wow. Guess that means manning is not going to Miami.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #432
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Glazer is tweeting that Miami has traded Brandon Marshall to the Bears for 2 3rd rounders

I wonder if that means they are out of the Manning sweepstakes
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #433
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wow. Guess that means manning is not going to Miami.

I think it is their attempt to get Manning. The speculation was that Manning wouldnt play with Marshall which made the Dolphins a longshot.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #434
spleen1015
Coordinator

I read one story this week that Manning won't play there because he doesn't like Marshall. Maybe they traded him to increase their odds in the Manning sweepstakes?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #435
spleen1015
Coordinator

I believe Marshall set the single game record for receptions with Cutler at QB in Denver against the Colts.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #436
Ksyrup

Could be. And maybe Peyton is bringing Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez and Garcon with him.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #437
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Marshall is a lazy route-runner and I'm glad to see him gone. Glad we were able to get something for him.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #438
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Could be. And maybe Peyton is bringing Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez and Garcon with him.

I would take that trade.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #439
spleen1015
Coordinator

If Glazer knows this is happening in Miami, wouldn't you think that he would know about other things happening in Miami?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #440
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Interesting to see what Marshall can do in Chicago if this is true. Granted the guy is a lazy route runner and has his off-the-field issues, but he and Cutler had chemistry in Denver and put up some impressive numbers. You can certainly understand the Bears temptation to bring him in.

La Canfora is stating the Bears are expected to go hard after Mario Williams, and they should have the cap space to do so, even with the addition of Marshall. Norris division QBs must be getting pretty nervous about now...Williams and Peppers on the same d-line...*drool*...

Also, here are the team's cap numbers according to La Canfora (this does not include Washington and Dallas' penalties):

Spoiler
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #441
BillJasper
Pro Starter

So it really looks like only Denver, Kansas City, Seattle and Tennessee have the cap room to sign Manning (of those who are interested) without having to gut the roster. Hell, Miami may have a tough time fitting Flynn under the cap without doing some contract restructuring...

Last edited by BillJasper : 03-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #442
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Marshall is a lazy route-runner with hands of stone and I'm glad to see him gone. Glad we were able to get something for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #443
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

How did I forget "the hands of stone"? If it was critical to the game, Marshall usually dropped it.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #444
Ksyrup

Jason Cole@JasonColeYahoo
Pierre Garçon talking contract with Washington.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #445
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Jason Cole@JasonColeYahoo
Pierre Garçon talking contract with Washington.

I hope not.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #446
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
So it really looks like only Denver, Kansas City, Seattle and Tennessee

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk
Bob McNair says Texans aren't in the Peyton chase
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #447
Kodos
Resident Alien

Miami Dolphins trade Brandon Marshall to Chicago Bears for two third-rounders - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The Marshall trade reportedly gives Miami around $20 million under the cap.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #448
RainMaker
General Manager

For those bashing Marshall, you didn't see who we've been playing at WR. He is a massive upgrade.

Would love Mario Williams but a little worried about the cost. I guess the Bears could just go all-in this year since most of the defense is aging. But not sure if it's worth a fortune.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #449
Ksyrup

Speaking of cost...

Michael Lombardi@michaelombardi
Sounds like the Bears wont get Mario Williams, the deal is getting too rich and appears the Bills are in the lead--with the most money
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #450
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For those bashing Marshall, you didn't see who we've been playing at WR. He is a massive upgrade.

Would love Mario Williams but a little worried about the cost. I guess the Bears could just go all-in this year since most of the defense is aging. But not sure if it's worth a fortune.

During his time in Miami, Marshall reminded me of an overpayed Roy Williams. Dude is a beast between the 20's where he can out run DB's but he's lazy and telegraphs his routes, which makes him useless in the Red Zone where the space doesn't exist for him to gain separation.

Biggest question is which Brandon Marshall are you getting? The hard worker from Denver or the rich, spoiled kid from Miami?

Last edited by BillJasper : 03-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote