Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #351
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yup. Either take a swing at someone or shut up, he comes off as a little bitch.

+1
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #352
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
yup. Either take a swing at someone or shut up, he comes off as a little bitch.

I think he wanted to actually
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #353
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
And Greinke's got a fractured collarbone thanks to Quentin. Way to overreact to a 3-2 pitch in a 2-1 game, cocksucker.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #354
lungs
Pro Rookie

Is it the same collar bone Greinke fractured when playing basketball?

Damn shame a moron like Quentin can't realize the situation and then still bring up some BS about getting hit by Greinke 4 years ago.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #355
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He should be suspended as long as Greinke is out. That shit is stupid.

I disagree. Both players are wrong. Quentin is certainly wrong for charging the mound, but Greinke quite clearly hits him and mouths off before Quentin charges the mound. I don't know what was said, but it's obviously said in an antagonistic manner and that appears to have set off Quentin.

Quentin deserves a suspension, but Greinke clearly exasperated the situation.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #356
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I disagree. Both players are wrong. Quentin is certainly wrong for charging the mound, but Greinke quite clearly hits him and mouths off before Quentin charges the mound. I don't know what was said, but it's obviously said in an antagonistic manner and that appears to have set off Quentin.

Some people are letting Zack's quiet demeanor fool them. He was well known during his stint in KC for the dead-eye stares and mouthing off at batters. It's fine as long as no one does anything about it. In this case, someone did and it cost him a perfectly good collarbone.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #357
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
If they really want to punish the Padres they will make him start every game Grienke is out.
Gold!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #358
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I hope they bean Quentin in the nuts tomorrow

Next week. I think if Beckett faces him he'll be nailed. It will almost be worth running out of pitchers.

They should aim for his collarbone
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #359
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A night after getting shutout by the Rays, the Rangers roughed up King Felix, tagging him for 4 runs on 10 hits in 6 2/3. Baseball is a strange game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #360
PilotMan
Head Coach

Matt was very upset about being thrown at earlier in the game, but he dealt with it like a pro. Then when Quentin was thrown at he charged right away. Kemp's problem was with the way he handled it, and in the end, ended up hurting Greinke.

Monday is going to be a barroom brawl.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #361
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Matt was very upset about being thrown at earlier in the game, but he dealt with it like a pro. Then when Quentin was thrown at he charged right away. Kemp's problem was with the way he handled it, and in the end, ended up hurting Greinke.

Monday is going to be a barroom brawl.

On ... Jackie Robinson day! Quentin was apparently hit earlier in the series as well.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then when Quentin was thrown at he charged right away.

Srsly though, could anyone in their right mind think he was "thrown at" on a payoff pitch in a one-run game?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #363
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Srsly though, could anyone in their right mind think he was "thrown at" on a payoff pitch in a one-run game?

That's just it. It was the 3-2 pitch. He would have wasted that on a 1-0 or 0-1, but not a 3-2.

Like Steam?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's just it. It was the 3-2 pitch. He would have wasted that on a 1-0 or 0-1, but not a 3-2.

And even more especially on a guy who ain't exactly been killing the ball so far this year and had struck out his last time up.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #365
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
On ... Jackie Robinson day! Quentin was apparently hit earlier in the series as well.

He has apparently been hit more than anyone in baseball. He has lead the league the last 2 years and been hit 20 times or more 3 times in 5 years as a starter. Getting hit earlier in the series doesn't point to anything except that he has a problem getting hit by pitches.

Like Steam?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #366
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Some people are letting Zack's quiet demeanor fool them. He was well known during his stint in KC for the dead-eye stares and mouthing off at batters. It's fine as long as no one does anything about it. In this case, someone did and it cost him a perfectly good collarbone.

Not only that, but I would argue one of the keys to Zack's success is a willingness to throw inside. Granted, when he was pitching with KC, we didn't know what pitching inside looked like except for him because every other starter (save Gil Meche, pretty much) pitched scared.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #367
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He has apparently been hit more than anyone in baseball. He has lead the league the last 2 years and been hit 20 times or more 3 times in 5 years as a starter. Getting hit earlier in the series doesn't point to anything except that he has a problem getting hit by pitches.

He apparently fancies himself as the modern-day Don Baylor ... except for the part where Baylor wasn't a bitch.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #368
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
In general I wish baseball would do away with intentional beaning and charging the mound.

NO!

I want to keep using it as a reason to bring back these retaliation type fouls in the NBA.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #369
Easy Mac

Quote:

Clearly hits him? It was at most 4 inches off the plate.

The long video is below. The best initial view is at about 3:08. Grienke is facing home plate and says "f---". A second later he says "f--- it" and tosses his glove. Comparing it to earlier in the video, it would appear Quentin charged immediatlely after the initial swear. Hardly a reason to rush the mound.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #370
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He apparently fancies himself as the modern-day Don Baylor ... except for the part where Baylor wasn't a bitch.
This is pretty good, too.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #371
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Clearly hits him? It was at most 4 inches off the plate.

The long video is below. The best initial view is at about 3:08. Grienke is facing home plate and says "f---". A second later he says "f--- it" and tosses his glove. Comparing it to earlier in the video, it would appear Quentin charged immediatlely after the initial swear. Hardly a reason to rush the mound.

This vid on ESPN shows it: Brawl Erupts In Dodgers' Win Over Padres - ESPN Video - ESPN - Greinke says something directed at Quentin at 0:16 (not just "facing home plate"), who then rushes the mound. In other words, Grienke should learn to shut his fucking mouth if he doesn't want his ass kicked. I'm not saying Quentin should have charged, but Grienke clearly escalated the situation prior to the fracas. Don't try to finesse the facts.

Oh, and regarding the video you linked, it's appears that he said "fuck you" than "fuck it".

Last edited by Blackadar : 04-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #372
MrBug708
Head Coach

Actually Quinton escalated it by squaring up at Greinke.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #373
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He should be suspended as long as Greinke is out. That shit is stupid.

why? he charged the mound, thats 4 games.

Im always super annoyed in hockey when people say a suspension should be longer because of an injury.

we need to look at the root cause not the outcome. that greinke got injured sucks (for the dodgers) but... its irrelevant. a fight is a fight, and all need to be treated equal.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #374
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post

Im always super annoyed in hockey when people say a suspension should be longer because of an injury.

we need to look at the root cause not the outcome. that greinke got injured sucks (for the dodgers) but... its irrelevant. a fight is a fight, and all need to be treated equal.

A thousand times this.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #375
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I would also make it a much more significant penalty... like 25 games.... because people DO get hurt... and its friggin baseball.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #376
Easy Mac

Quote:
This vid on ESPN shows it: Brawl Erupts In Dodgers' Win Over Padres - ESPN Video - ESPN - Greinke says something directed at Quentin at 0:16 (not just "facing home plate"), who then rushes the mound. In other words, Grienke should learn to shut his fucking mouth if he doesn't want his ass kicked. I'm not saying Quentin should have charged, but Grienke clearly escalated the situation prior to the fracas. Don't try to finesse the facts.

Oh, and regarding the video you linked, it's appears that he said "fuck you" than "fuck it".

I clearly said he said something when he face home plate, but Quentin had already taken steps towards him, and Greinke at best said 1-2 words before Quentin ran out there.

I'd say the timeline is: Grienke hits him on the elbow, Grienke turns towards first while Quentin reacts to getting hit. Quentin then takes 2-3 steps towards the mound as Grienke looks towards home plate. Quentin continues to walk and Grienke says 1-2 words that we can't make out. Quentin runs out while Grienke takes steps towards home. Grienke says f--- something and tosses his glove. Both lower their shoulders at oddly the exact same moment, which I don't think I've ever seen in a mound charging.

But I will concede that you greatly dislike Grienke.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #377
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A night after getting shutout by the Rays, the Rangers roughed up King Felix, tagging him for 4 runs on 10 hits in 6 2/3. Baseball is a strange game.

Really? Matt Moore is one of the best young pitchers in the game.

Edit: Though I don't disagree that baseball is a strange game. Just slightly surprised you think the Rangers should have roughed up Moore.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #378
Scarecrow
College Prospect

As someone on mlb radio said this morning in regards to the suspension length equal to injury length:

"Greinke didn't throw the ball to injure Quinton; Quinton charged the mound to injure Greinke."

(Now you can argue whether or not Greinke actually threw at him, and you can argue if Quinton was baited)

Last edited by Scarecrow : 04-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #379
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't think they should have roughed up Moore, but to get shutout by him at home, then travel to Seattle and tag Hernandez was surprising.

King Felix at home > Moore on the road
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #380
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I blame the Dodgers catcher. The first step Quentin takes towards the monud the catcher should be getting in front of him the way Jake Taylor protected Wild Thing.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #381
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I blame the Dodgers catcher. The first step Quentin takes towards the monud the catcher should be getting in front of him the way Jake Taylor protected Wild Thing.

"Don't even think about it Coleman..."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #382
molson
General Manager

Quote:

In a tort or criminal context the law would consider the outcome. Not sure why this is different, though I don't have a strong opinion either way. I can see the argument that if you're going to engage in reckless behavior that's against the rules of whatever you're doing, the consequences of your actions should figure into the penalty.

Last edited by molson : 04-12-2013 at 01:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #383
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
In a tort or criminal context the law would consider the outcome. Not sure why this is different, though I don't have a strong opinion either way. I can see the argument that if you're going to engage in reckless behavior that's against the rules of whatever you're doing, the consequences of your actions should figure into the penalty.

no torts in sports

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #384
molson
General Manager

Quote:
no torts in sports

I understand that, but the reasoning is the same.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #385
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I understand that, but the reasoning is the same.

when dealing with law, reason and logic are suspended, you follow law and precedent.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #386
Suicane75
Coordinator

Fuck em all. I've never been in a situation where I wanted to punch somebody, but somehow was unable to punch said person. Two grown men athletes heading right towards each other, unencumbered, and they collide shoulder to shoulder? What the fuck is that? It's two guys who wanna do something but don't have the balls to actually do something. Same with Matt Kemp. If you wanna beat someones ass you don't walk slowly towards him until somebody else is able to hold you back.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #387
cartman
Death Herald

Nolan Ryan set the gold standard for how to deal with someone charging the mound.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #388
Suicane75
Coordinator

Exactly. That minor leaguer about a decade ago who backkicked the catcher and then charged the mound, that's how a person who wants to fight fights. He was stupid for doing it, but if you're gonna do it, do it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #389
molson
General Manager

Quote:
when dealing with law, reason and logic are suspended, you follow law and precedent.

Not in a common law system. The law evolved over time, based on many individual decision-makers concluding that when you step outside the bounds of whatever rules that you're governed by, you're responsible for the outcome of your actions. Somewhere along the way we decided crashing your car into a person when you're drunk is much worse than crashing your car into a pole when you're drunk, even if your level of guilt and actions were identical in both situations. I can see both sides of it and every situation is different.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #390
Bad-example
College Starter

Not sure what the count was but there were at least 2 balls for sure...

Photos of the Day: Low Blow! | HardballTalk
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #391
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I clearly said he said something when he face home plate, but Quentin had already taken steps towards him, and Greinke at best said 1-2 words before Quentin ran out there.

I'd say the timeline is: Grienke hits him on the elbow, Grienke turns towards first while Quentin reacts to getting hit. Quentin then takes 2-3 steps towards the mound as Grienke looks towards home plate. Quentin continues to walk and Grienke says 1-2 words that we can't make out. Quentin runs out while Grienke takes steps towards home. Grienke says f--- something and tosses his glove. Both lower their shoulders at oddly the exact same moment, which I don't think I've ever seen in a mound charging.

But I will concede that you greatly dislike Grienke.

I'd say you're full of shit. We can make out at least one of the words and we can make out they are directed at Quentin prior to to Quentin charging the mound. We can also make out Quentin yelling something at Grienke before charging the mound. As I've said, both parties are guilty and both parties escalated the situation. The video clearly shows what happens and Grienke isn't some blameless victim.

FYI, I don't give a shit about either team, but feel free to concede points no one is making! We can both play that game, so long as I get to concede that you're siding with Grienke because he's white.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #392
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not in a common law system. The law evolved over time, based on many individual decision-makers concluding that when you step outside the bounds of whatever rules that you're governed by, you're responsible for the outcome of your actions. Somewhere along the way we decided crashing your car into a person when you're drunk is much worse than crashing your car into a pole when you're drunk, even if your level of guilt and actions were identical in both situations. I can see both sides of it and every situation is different.
your a lawyer... you should know there isn't a drop of logic or right in our legal system!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #393
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
no torts in sports

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #394
daverick
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

How dare you try to intimidate a batter while on the mound. Staring at someone and mouthing off at a little bitch that doesn't even attempt to move out of the way of a ball barely in on him doesn't give a player the right to charge the mound.

Last edited by daverick : 04-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.
daverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #395
Easy Mac

Quote:
FYI, I don't give a shit about either team, but feel free to concede points no one is making! We can both play that game, so long as I get to concede that you're siding with Grienke because he's white.

?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #396
Subby
lolzcat

BALL GRABBIN'

Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #397
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Can I per-emptively ask that if this goes into the cool pix thread that it gets deleted

SI

Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #398
miami_fan
Coordinator

Spinning this forward to Monday according to the baseball code, Quentin can expect to get hit and he has to take and the umpires have to allow it right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #399
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they really want to punish the Padres they will make him start every game Grienke is out.

Love It

SI

Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #400
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Spinning this forward to Monday according to the baseball code, Quentin can expect to get hit and he has to take and the umpires have to allow it right?

hahaha no

they will warn both benches before the start of the game and throw out anybody who retaliates
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote