Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Has anyone else been watching the MLB network's airing of some of the spring training games? The Kim Jong Un-Axe commercial is being played EVERY commercial break. OK. We get it. You have a new commercial. Yeesh.

No I haven't watched, but that's indicative of 2 (or 3) things.

1) They figure that time spent by each viewer is almost negligible & therefore you aren't seeing it long. (think people doing look-ins)

2) The network has virtually (or literally) no other advertisers & therefore there are no other spots to run

3) Since I know that Axe has more than one spot available, there's a chance they bought what's called a "roadblock", where they intentionally took every single spot on a given day(s). Seems stupid in this instance to me but, well, not every buy is a paragon of brilliance either.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #152
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No I haven't watched, but that's indicative of 2 (or 3) things.

1) They figure that time spent by each viewer is almost negligible & therefore you aren't seeing it long. (think people doing look-ins)

2) The network has virtually (or literally) no other advertisers & therefore there are no other spots to run

3) Since I know that Axe has more than one spot available, there's a chance they bought what's called a "roadblock", where they intentionally took every single spot on a given day(s). Seems stupid in this instance to me but, well, not every buy is a paragon of brilliance either.

I've got in on in the background while i do other things (it feels like summer) so I was watching through several games. I would sorta get it if they only played a couple of different Axe spots per game. If you're watching several games, then you're going to see repeats but as it is, DANG!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #153
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Santana to Braves, $14.1m, one year
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Santana to Braves, $14.1m, one year

Crazy. All of that waiting and he could have just signed the Royals qualifying offer and stayed here.

Royals didn't want to offer more because they believe he's an injury waiting to happen and didn't want dead money. Braves got a great deal here. No loss if he goes down because it's only a one year deal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Crazy. All of that waiting and he could have just signed the Royals qualifying offer and stayed here.

Royals didn't want to offer more because they believe he's an injury waiting to happen and didn't want dead money. Braves got a great deal here. No loss if he goes down because it's only a one year deal.

Loss of a 1st round pick though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #156
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Loss of a 1st round pick though.

Yeah, but I have to think that the Royals would have rather had him on the staff than Vargas. They're not going to say it, but I'd think that's the case. Vargas is a good alternative, but Santana was a great influence on the clubhouse in addition to being a very good pitcher.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

I'm talking about from the Braves...you said "no loss" if he doesn't work out for them since it's a one year deal.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #158
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm talking about from the Braves...you said "no loss" if he doesn't work out for them since it's a one year deal.

Yes, that's true. Sorry about that.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #159
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They get the 1st round pick back if they make a qualifying offer next season. And they had an extra one this year due to the qualifying offer they made to McCann.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

from ESPN.com

Quote:
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Sportsnet 590 The FAN on Wednesday that he was told Santana wanted to pitch in the NL.

"From what I was told we couldn't compete with the NL," Anthopoulos told The FAN, according to Sportsnet. "The NL was where he wanted to be. It was not money, it was not years."
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #161
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess he really hates BP
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #162
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Reminds me of AA getting indignant when Gil Meche went to Kansas City

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #163
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess he really hates BP

More like he hates the DH and wants to be assured of that one easy out every 3 innings.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Francisco Rodriguez might miss his scheduled start due to stepping barefoot on a cactus.

Francisco Rodriguez of Milwaukee Brewers steps on cactus, hurt - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #165
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Players refusal to sign the QO is weird. I don't even blame Santana or Stephen Drew - they at least had a shot to get paid (and Drew might've been asked to platoon some). But Kendrys Morales? Even David Ortiz wouldn't get more than 2 years or $15m/y on the open market - where was the market for a much worse version of him going to come from?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Jose Iglesias of Detroit Tiger out until at least All-Star break due to shin injuries - ESPN

Stephen Drew and Scott Boras are popping bottles of champagne tonight.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #167
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Players refusal to sign the QO is weird. I don't even blame Santana or Stephen Drew - they at least had a shot to get paid (and Drew might've been asked to platoon some). But Kendrys Morales? Even David Ortiz wouldn't get more than 2 years or $15m/y on the open market - where was the market for a much worse version of him going to come from?

The fact that Santana's agent was holding out for a contract worth over $100 million is just as absurd.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Morales' agent is going to have to make good on the $$$ he'll lose. Not sure how he gave such bad advice and he's gotta be ripe for a malpractice suit. Same with Cruz.

Also this is a 100% guarantee right? Not like when Varatek's agent refused arb under the old agreement and then claimed it was cause he could have just got a 30day termination pay.

Ultimately the QO needs to just go anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #169
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder if Morales' agent is going to have to make good on the $$$ he'll lose. Not sure how he gave such bad advice and he's gotta be ripe for a malpractice suit. Same with Cruz.

Also this is a 100% guarantee right? Not like when Varatek's agent refused arb under the old agreement and then claimed it was cause he could have just got a 30day termination pay.

Ultimately the QO needs to just go anyways.

I think starting next year teams will have to be VERY careful about using it. It's two year now, the players should now know nothing is a lock. What will happen next is going to be very similar to the franchise tag in football. You'll have some professionals who will come in and do their job no matter what.

Then you'll have some guys say "you want to pay 13 million for a pissed off player who will sit out if his fingernail hurts on a given day? Go for it"
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #170
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I think starting next year teams will have to be VERY careful about using it. It's two year now, the players should now know nothing is a lock. What will happen next is going to be very similar to the franchise tag in football. You'll have some professionals who will come in and do their job no matter what.

Then you'll have some guys say "you want to pay 13 million for a pissed off player who will sit out if his fingernail hurts on a given day? Go for it"
Those of us who really paid attention last year thought they'd take a note from the Lohse situation... but Lohse got $33 mil... and Santana got an equal amount of money, and Drew will get paid. Until those GM's hold the line through June, Boras etc hold the upper hand.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #171
PilotMan
Head Coach

Aroldis Chapman was hit in the head with a line drive last night. It's ugly. Multiple fractures.

Aroldis Chapman of Cincinnati Reds hit in face by line drive, carted off - ESPN

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #172
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Aroldis Chapman was hit in the head with a line drive last night. It's ugly. Multiple fractures.

Aroldis Chapman of Cincinnati Reds hit in face by line drive, carted off - ESPN

I'll say it again -- if pitchers would simply be willing to finish in a fielding position this would be taken care of in 99 percent of cases. As it is though, they continually finish across their bodies, wide open, and you can't get the glove up in time from that position. It's an easy fix but of course nobody will do it because it is too fundamental.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #173
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'll say it again -- if pitchers would simply be willing to finish in a fielding position this would be taken care of in 99 percent of cases. As it is though, they continually finish across their bodies, wide open, and you can't get the glove up in time from that position. It's an easy fix but of course nobody will do it because it is too fundamental.

No, it really wouldn't. 60'6" is too close for it to. I'm not an advocate of moving it back or anything, but things like this are always going to happen. I've thrown a lot of BP in my lifetime to college/high school hitters, and I don't care what kind of position you're in, sometimes you are going to get drilled.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #174
JPhillips
General Manager

I hope Chapman can come back physically and mentally from that.

The Reds are now going to have about 20 million worth of relief pitching rehabbing to start the season. I have very little hope for 2014.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #175
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
No, it really wouldn't. 60'6" is too close for it to. I'm not an advocate of moving it back or anything, but things like this are always going to happen. I've thrown a lot of BP in my lifetime to college/high school hitters, and I don't care what kind of position you're in, sometimes you are going to get drilled.

Saw something last night that the ball was traveling at about 125 MPH when he was hit. And it's not even 60'6"...add in striding off the mound and even a slight follow through, you're probably closer to 52-55 feet. Impossible to react to that.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #176
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Saw something last night that the ball was traveling at about 125 MPH when he was hit. And it's not even 60'6"...add in striding off the mound and even a slight follow through, you're probably closer to 52-55 feet. Impossible to react to that.

I think about how fast 3b has to react. Cut that in about 1/2 if they're playing even with the bag. Fielding position or not, you're going to get drilled on occasion. When I used to coach a lot (about 10 years ago now), there was talk of soft helmets for pitchers in HS. I'm surprised it hasn't gained more traction. I mean, they make coaches wear helmets now. Is there any downside to pitchers doing the same (probably wouldn't have helped Chapman in this case, but still).
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #177
Butter
Coordinator

Unless he was wearing a face mask, a helmet wouldn't have made a lick of difference.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

I think the idea is that while the face being exposed will lead to broken bones, possible vision issues, and a likely concussion, it would be unlikely to kill someone or cause permanent brain damage like a direct hit to the skull could do.

Not saying it should happen though...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #179
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

125 mph is 183.33 feet per second. 60.5 feet gives you 1/3rd of a second to react. Yikes.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #180
Suicane75
Coordinator

These regular season games, a week before the actual season starts, a half a world away, are so dumb. Would it make a lick of difference to the Australians if these were exhibition games?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #181
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Aussie national team played an exhibition game against the Dodgers a few days ago I believe.

I think the early games aren't so bad. Baseball has grown so much worldwide in the last 15 years that I understand why they'd want to continue growing the game. Gigantic soccer clubs do it too although those are exhibition games.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think it's a good idea. I wish the 10pm game were on somewhere to watch tonight, tho

I'm not quite sure why this is 2 home games for the Diamondbacks instead of one each

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #183
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think it's a good idea. I wish the 10pm game were on somewhere to watch tonight, tho

I'm not quite sure why this is 2 home games for the Diamondbacks instead of one each

SI

{cough} MLB.TV {cough}

Like Steam?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #184
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
{cough} MLB.TV {cough}

Is it a freebie game?

SI

Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #185
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
These regular season games, a week before the actual season starts, a half a world away, are so dumb. Would it make a lick of difference to the Australians if these were exhibition games?

+11111111111111111111111111111111111
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #186
PilotMan
Head Coach

No SI it isn't.

Like Steam?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #187
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Why the hell am I getting a crawl of NBA scores in my MLB.TV? Any way to remove that? Didn't see it in settings.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #188
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like that they are real games, no different than the games in Japan. It's not a big deal, the DBacks make money on the home games and so...whatever. It's good for baseball and I've always wanted to see it in a cricket ground.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #189
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

its on the MLB network.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #190
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's stupid to have season games in the middle of preseason games. It would be like saying that a random week 3 NFL preseason game counts and then they can go back to expanded rosters for the preseason week 4. If they want to have real games there, have them on the actual opening nights of the season.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #191
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't know, I like the Aussie games. And it wouldn't be fair to team to have the games at the regular start, and have them be jet lagged and delayed coming back.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #192
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't know, I like the Aussie games. And it wouldn't be fair to team to have the games at the regular start, and have them be jet lagged and delayed coming back.

How would they be jetlagged? Season starts 3/30. If they play 3/30 and 3/31 that will give them 4 days until the next series starts. Have the same two teams play each other for that following Friday-Sunday series if they are that worried about it.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #193
MrBug708
Head Coach

Other than traditionalist being annoyed, which is fine with me, what difference does it make? It's nice too see something different
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #194
Suicane75
Coordinator

It's not about being a traditionalist, it's just that it's silly. The season opener is played at 4am est a full week before the season starts. Plus now the Dodgers get to throw Kershaw in games 1 & 2, which is a minor advantage, but an advantage none the less. I'm not ranting over it, I just think it's a bit dumb since, as you said, what difference does it make?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
It's not about being a traditionalist, it's just that it's silly. The season opener is played at 4am est a full week before the season starts. Plus now the Dodgers get to throw Kershaw in games 1 & 2, which is a minor advantage, but an advantage none the less. I'm not ranting over it, I just think it's a bit dumb since, as you said, what difference does it make?

Does anyone really think of this as Opening Day, tho? I think it's like the Sunday night game they've had for a while now where it's *Opening Day. I don't feel it takes away from actual should-be-a-national-holiday Opening Day.

SI

Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Come on back to Missouri, Max! If Shields doesn't stay, we'll have a spot open for an ace!

Tigers, Max Scherzer cut off extension talks | HardballTalk
Old 03-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #197
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Come on back to Missouri, Max! If Shields doesn't stay, we'll have a spot open for an ace!

Tigers, Max Scherzer cut off extension talks | HardballTalk

And you'\d pay him 26 million a year for 7 years? Yeah, I may as well make a post begging him to come play for the Rockies.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
And you'\d pay him 26 million a year for 7 years? Yeah, I may as well make a post begging him to come play for the Rockies.

It'll obviously depend on what happens this year whether you pull the trigger. If the Royals continue to make progress in the right direction, there's no reason why they couldn't pull the trigger on a deal like that to get a staff anchor if they wanted to do so. If the Royals have another year of improvement, they're going to see increases in ticket revenue.

If they trend back the wrong direction, it's obviously not something they'd look at.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-23-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #199
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It'll obviously depend on what happens this year whether you pull the trigger. If the Royals continue to make progress in the right direction, there's no reason why they couldn't pull the trigger on a deal like that to get a staff anchor if they wanted to do so. If the Royals have another year of improvement, they're going to see increases in ticket revenue.

If they trend back the wrong direction, it's obviously not something they'd look at.

What about in a few years when they have to re-sign Hosmer, Perez, and a few others of their super talented young team? Are you willing to go all in on a pitcher and run the risk of losing some of them players?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #200
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

If they trend in the right direction, they will need to pay guys like Hosmer and Moustkakes. I'm supposed to believe they'll pay over double what their highest paid player is now for a 30 year old pitcher? Ummmmm, OK.