Trout in 6yr /$144M

Los Angeles Angels, Mike Trout agree to six-year extension - ESPN Los Angeles

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #302
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

if all goes to plan for him can't wait to see his contract when he is 29. will be crazy
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #304
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
if all goes to plan for him can't wait to see his contract when he is 29. will be crazy

If he keeps playing at this level for another 6 years, yeah it's going to be a $500M deal by then.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #305
Warhammer
Pro Starter

At least he's wearing a Halo in his prime.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #306
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez Louise, I mean I know that Trout is going to be better in his late 20s (barring injuries *knock on wood*), but I can't even imagine what that is going to look like!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-29-2014 at 12:37 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #307
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That deal was damn generous on Trout's behalf. He essentially sold his FA years at 3/95. Trout is just so damn good that our traditional value capture metrics we don't even capture that he's a non-linear improvement over everyone else. I thought this chart did it best - a REGRESSED Trout (ie, to have the single worst season of his career) makes Andrew McCutchen look like chump change relatively.

2014 Positional Power Rankings: Center Field | FanGraphs Baseball
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 AM   #308
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping it went to Arbitration just to break the model.

I understand getting paid now but he's worth like 50m/year at least. Next contract should easily exceed 500M since a WAR will be worth 8-10m in 6 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #309
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I understand getting paid now but he's worth like 50m/year at least.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-29-2014 at 01:41 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #310
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Jeez Louise, I mean I know that Trout is going to be better in his late 20s (barring injuries *knock on wood*), but I can't even imagine what that is going to look like!
Yeah... but unfortunately there is likely to be injuries or some regression. I don't think he's going to follow the Cesar Cedeno Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com career path, but I doubt anyone at the time thought Cedeno would fall off either. It's silly to compare Trout's career to anyone's, but as a young, athletic, power-hitting CF Grady Sizemore, Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr. come to mind, and injuries caught up to all of them hard and fast, although it really wasn't until the age of 30 for the latter 2.

I'd love to be proven wrong and to watch Trout turn into Barry Bonds 2.0 with the bat while maintaining his speed and defensive ability, but it's more likely that even barring injury he's reached his peak level (which is not bad at 8-10 WAR per year!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #311
Subby
lolzcat

Great deal for the Angels and put it next to the huge steamer of a deal Detroit just crafted and it looks even better.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #312
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah... but unfortunately there is likely to be injuries or some regression. I don't think he's going to follow the Cesar Cedeno Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com career path, but I doubt anyone at the time thought Cedeno would fall off either. It's silly to compare Trout's career to anyone's, but as a young, athletic, power-hitting CF Grady Sizemore, Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr. come to mind, and injuries caught up to all of them hard and fast, although it really wasn't until the age of 30 for the latter 2.

I'd love to be proven wrong and to watch Trout turn into Barry Bonds 2.0 with the bat while maintaining his speed and defensive ability, but it's more likely that even barring injury he's reached his peak level (which is not bad at 8-10 WAR per year!)
This is a good point, although I thought Law did a nice job addressing the concern in his contract analysis:

Quote:
The best news for the Angels is that every position player who started his career with a bang like Trout has at least managed to maintain strong production levels through his 20s. Mickey Mantle produced 60.9 WAR during his age 22-28 seasons; Alex Rodriguez produced 56.7 WAR; Albert Pujols produced 57.4 WAR; Rickey Henderson, who put up 8.8 WAR at age 21, produced another 47.1 WAR over the next seven seasons despite losing 50 games to the 1981 strike. Even Andruw Jones, who was very valuable at age 21 but was finished as a regular at age 30, generated more than 41 WAR during his age 22-28 seasons.

There is always risk of a catastrophic injury in a long-term deal for any player, but the production risk -- the chance that Trout just won't hit or run or field enough to be worth this money -- is very low based on his skill set and the best historical comparisons available.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Open market pricing per WAR is roughly at 6.5million, increasing by about 5% per year. If anything, the amount of money flowing in seems to be increasing even more than that. So conservatively in 6 years a WAR will be worth about 8.4 million or so. He's produced an average of 9.8 his last two seasons, he's worth actually more than 50million.

As far as Miggy goes, PECOTA says he's probably been overpaid by like 15-20million. Of course there's some serious bloodbath potential there.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-there were 4 years where they played 2 All Star Games? Never knew that. They should bring that back.(looks to be 59-62)
Old 03-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #315
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
This is a good point, although I thought Law did a nice job addressing the concern in his contract analysis:
Oh, no question it's a very good deal for both sides. Even if Trout regresses to "only" a 5-win player per year, that'll still be worth $30 million/year, and he protected himself (and the next 5 generations of his family) against a catastrophic injury.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #316
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's a lot of facial hair in the Opening Day* game: Thayer and then Wilson

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #317
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Open market pricing per WAR is roughly at 6.5million, increasing by about 5% per year. If anything, the amount of money flowing in seems to be increasing even more than that. So conservatively in 6 years a WAR will be worth about 8.4 million or so. He's produced an average of 9.8 his last two seasons, he's worth actually more than 50million.

As far as Miggy goes, PECOTA says he's probably been overpaid by like 15-20million. Of course there's some serious bloodbath potential there.

Looking at 2 seasons to compute you want to pay a guy that much over that timeframe is fraught with danger though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #318
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And we're tied! It's good to have baseball back

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't realize that Tommy Hanson was now basically garbage as well, in regards to ATL arms. I have to wonder if something is going on there, so many injuries involved with Braves/former Braves Pitchers.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #320
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Instant Replay room http://www.mlb.com/news/article//maj...4&ymd=20140326

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-31-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #321
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cards vs Reds.. does it get any better?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #322
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
April is not shaping up to be a good month for the Rangers. Another injury as Yu Darvish was put on the 15 day DL.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #323
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Yup
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #324
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'll put my Brewers at 79 wins this year. Any amount of injuries will sink them. Yuniesky Betancourt not starting at first base will be an improvement but Lyle Overbay sucks too. The farm system sucks.

I do think the rotation is solid and Wily Peralta is poised to break out.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #325
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Yup

+1
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #326
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

what are two teams that have never been in my kitchen
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #327
JPhillips
General Manager

The Reds pitching should get them to .500, but the offense is going to be a problem. They probably need three of Hamilton, Ludwick, Frazier, Cozart and Mesoraco, to significantly outperform projections if they are going to get to the playoffs.

I'm guessing 83-86 wins and just missing the last wild card.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #328
Butter
Coordinator

I think Hamilton and Mes will take a step this year... Hamilton will start out gangbusters, then fade after June. I'm guessing 88 wins.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #329
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

NATS will win 162

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #330
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I think Hamilton and Mes will take a step this year... Hamilton will start out gangbusters, then fade after June. I'm guessing 88 wins.

Even if Hamilton doesn't break out he's going to do some silly things on the base paths. He may end up with more highlights than hits.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #331
Subby
lolzcat

Anyone here doing MLB.tv? I am trying to decide if premium is a better value than the standard.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #332
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I know some people split the premium up 5 ways since you can have five continuous connections. With 5 people its about 26-27 dollars for the year a person. Just need one person to pay for it and share the login info with the others after he received money via paypal or whatever.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #333
Peregrine
Pro Starter

All I can say is.....OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #334
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone here doing MLB.tv? I am trying to decide if premium is a better value than the standard.

I really like Premium just for having the options of home and away feeds. It kind of sucks to have to listen to your team through the words of away team announcers.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #335
TroyF
Coordinator

Game last night was pretty fun.

The stadium was probably 50% Dodger fans. About 15% of them were beyond obnoxious. I do not want to trash an entire fan base, but that was a much higher percentage of dirtbag opposition fans than I have ever seen before at any other sporting event. That includes Raider fans at multiple Broncos games over the years for what it is worth.

The Dodgers are the best team in baseball IMHO, but I would be very concerned about their defense if I were a fan. It was horrible last night. Beyond the 2 actual errors there were 3 or 4 more defensive miscues that could have been more painful if Ryu didn't throw so well.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #336
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

MY BODY IS READY
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #337
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

thank god im teleworking today.... got the game up on the big screen, and hope for a nice quiet afternoon.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #338
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I do it, and I love it. If you watch a lot of baseball you'll feel like you're getting the greatest bargain ever. Premium is great too, for me I love watching my team's away broadcast when they're away. Plus, I think you can only watch on your phone, tablet, xbox etc with Premium.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #339
molson
General Manager

7 pages in the season thread before real opening day....I feel like that crazy winter the rest of the country got has something to do with everyone being all fired up.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #340
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Think you're right molson - this winter just won't give up. Here its not really cold, it's just constantly in the 40s-50s.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I do it, and I love it. If you watch a lot of baseball you'll feel like you're getting the greatest bargain ever. Premium is great too, for me I love watching my team's away broadcast when they're away. Plus, I think you can only watch on your phone, tablet, xbox etc with Premium.

yeah, I do the premium and love it. I stream through Apple.tv but like that I can also throw the game on my Ipad and watch while wife and I watch other shows. Well worth the upgrade.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #342
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

you know how much it sucks to have the Os own your TV rights? no sound for opening day.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #343
Peregrine
Pro Starter

As for MLB.tv premium, I watch it on Apple TV a lot but prefer the PC browser version - the cool feature where you can skip to parts of innings or specific batters is great for watching past games, which I do a lot - saves time with no "ad breaks" or can skip relief pitcher warmup.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #344
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Andrew Brown!!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #345
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Andrew Brown!!

Just like they drew it up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #346
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I never bothered with mlb.tv because there was no way I was going to pay that much (my friends don't care much for baseball.) But if someone on the board was thinking of getting it, I'd be open to throwing in for a share.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #347
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Im happy I can cheer for the local team and not have to worry about this stuff!

Harpers first time on the basebaths this season, and he gets kicked in the side of the head trying to break up a double play.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #348
TroyF
Coordinator

When I was down with the broken hip last year, the MLB.TV package was a godsend. I'll get it again this year so I can follow the Rockies.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how you can expect to make the playoffs with Travis Ishikawa and Travis Snider in the lineup. Sorry poster Travis, but I'd love it if my team had 0 guys named Travis on it by the end of April.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #350
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Since Yu Darvish was put on the DL a couple of days ago, Tanner Scheppers gets the Opening Day start for the Rangers. Evidently he is only the 8th pitcher in the last 100 years to get his first career start on Opening Day.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote