Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #151
Izulde
Head Coach

Right, so let's see how this goes, and with the shout package of Play Wider, Work Ball Into Box, and Exploit The Middle

20th vs Hatfield Town (19th)

2 - Speed with the throw-in to Merriman and an exchange of passes before the team captain sends it to Payne. A deep cross and there's Gould of all people with the header in! 1-0

3 - And of course an own goal right after that by Kemp 1-1

Nunn is exhausted at the half, so Harwood comes on.

65 - Bonnick in for Horgan

"London Colney might feel they should've won this game." That's for damn sure.

Nigel Stockwell is slacking off and doesn't appear to care anymore, so I cut him. Maybe a smaller squad will help familiarity increase.

vs St. Margaretsbury (Spartan South Midlands Senior Cup First Round)
G: Richard Stroud
D: Nathan Speed/Kyle Craig/Lyndon Jefford/Nathan Dynan
M: Thomas Nunn/Luke Saxby/Kwasi Frempong
AM: Will Summerfield
S: Jay McGregor/Antwon Bonnick

37 - Second stringers and shit 0-1

55 - Frogpond makes a great interception and executes a key pass to Summerfield. It's slid tackled away into the box and the defense has it, but then Bonnick charges forward, bulldozes the defender, and rams the ball in 1-1

66 - Harwood for Frempong, Horgan for McGregor, and we really need to shop for a backup AMC.

90 - Nothing matters. 1-2

I cut all the wide midfielders to make myself feel better.

Transfer In - AMLC Harry Powell (20) - From Biggleswade United
Solid all around young player content to back up Summerfield.

20th vs Holmer Green (8th)
D: George Gould/Kyle Craig/Tom Kemp/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Thomas Nunn/Jordan Payne
S: Stuart Horgan/Jordan Merriman

13 - Speed makes a phenomenal clearance to set off a chain reaction finishing off in Horgan running to the right side of the box and waiting until the time is right to cross for Merriman's bombtastic muscle-in 1-0

61 - Harwood for Nunn

91 - He may be so exhausted it's a wonder he can still move, but when Summerfield exchanges passes with Merriman and gets a beautiful ball in open space, he converts to clinch the win! 2-0

Nathan Speed of all people gets PotM with 8.6. 7.8 for Tom Kemp, 8.3 for Kyle Craig, 7.4 for George Gould as our backline finally had a standup (if shocking) game. 7.7 for Will Summerfield, 8.5 for Jordan Merriman and 7.8 for Stuart Horgan.

Elliott Burns resumes training

Transfer In - DRC Gavin Lambert (21) - From Horndean
Rates as #2 DR though that's not saying much.

Kwasi "Frogpond" Frempong gets hit with a virus so bad, he's gone for 2-3 weeks.

16th @Wembley (12th)

First road game and we're Defensive.

3 - Man, Speed does a lot of great work in passing after throw-ins I've noticed. Here there's a lot of passing on the right wing before it gets to Mogwo, who sends it to Horgan and then on to Merriman. A little juke and our fearsome striker adds to his goal tally 1-0

10 - Off goes Merriman with injury. On comes Bonnick. Assholes.

15 - Now Payne is hurt. WTF.

28 - Summerfield on the free kick... and Mogwo gets in above everyone with the header to double our lead! 2-0

51 - Nobody stops the rebound after the wall blocks a free kick. Harwood in for Payne 2-1

73 - Speed with the 30 yard free kick and HOLY FUCK, IT'S IN!!!! 3-1

88 - Now Bonnick is dinged

92 - Great run forth by Summerfield after the pass from Mogwo, and he sizzles home the half-circle strike 4-1

8.1 for Nathan Speed, 7.9 for Tom Kemp, 8.0 for Kyle Craig, 7.9 for George Gould as it's a second straight amazing performance by our bashed backline. 8.7 for Andy Mogwo, and Will Summerfield's 8.9 is PotM. Also 8.1 for Stuart Horgan.

Jordan Merriman is out 3-4 weeks, which is pretty devastating, as his 6 goals are tied for third in the league in scoring, and his 7.6 average match rating is 4th. FM truly does giveth and taketh.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The star rating of your players is relative to the best players on the roster.

And there's the other reason to read dynasties: you learn stuff.

I thought the stars were merely relative to the level you were playing at.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #153
Izulde
Head Coach

10th vs Hillingdon Borough (3rd)
D: Elliott Burns/Kyle Craig/Luke Saxby/Nathan Speed
M: Thomas Nunn/Richie Harwood/Jordan Payne
AM: Harry Powell
S: Stuart Horgan/Jay McGregor

We're having to play Horgan on 85% and I don't like playing guys below 90%, but it is what it is.

4 - Damn it. No less than 5 shots at the goal and they were all deflected by post or keeper.

14 - Absolutely no effort to go up and get the ball in the air 0-1

23 - Cool, because we don't have enough striker injuries. Horgan gets dinged up.

Fucking irritating first half. Bonnick in for Horgan and Lambert in for Craig.

48 - They're crying that it wasn't a penalty even though they spiked my dude. Fuck you. And fuck yeah to Payne for pulverizing the keeper on the PK 1-1

61 - Harwood is knocked, so it's an emergency press of Mogwo

67 - WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU CHARGING FORWARD WITHOUT THE FUCKING BALL, DEFENSE?! 1-2

72 - Fucking ass nuggets aren't even fucking trying now 1-3

A profitable month at $1.82k profit, and the board's pleased we're not in the bottom of the league.

@Black County Rangers (Dudley Latham Memorial Cup First Round First Leg)
S: Antwon Bonnick/Jay McGregor

We really need to get some more strikers in here.

9 - McGregor's hurt but he'll have to shake it off.

42 - Mogwo to Nunn to McGregor, and the 6'9 beast lumbers into the box. I think he's going to pass, but instead he hoofs his big foot forward and puts the ball in for his first goal for us 1-0

52 - Gould gives to Summerfield.. on to Nunn, to Payne... and then to Bonnick, who takes advantage of the goalkeeper slipping to put in the insurance 2-0

61 - Speed has no god damned speed. Off he goes for Lambert, and Harwood hops on for Payne. 2-1

72 - Key header by Gould, who's involved in a lot of the passes that follow, including one to Mogwo, who puts it to McGregor. Never thought I'd see a 6'9 guy make a pass that beautiful outside the basketball court, but Bonnick takes it and goes past both the defense and the keeper before kicking the clincher 3-1

82 - Oh look, Bonnick gets a knock and is 8%. Whatever. Game's almost over anyway.

8.2 for Tom Kemp, 8.6 for Kyle Craig, who has been doing his best Jake Wells/Lewis Clover impression, 8.4 for Jay McGregor, and 8.8 and PotM for Antwon Bonnick

And of course we lose Antwon Bonnick for 2 weeks.

14th @Northwood FC (16th)
D: Elliott Burns/George Gould/Gavin Lambert/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Jordan Payne

We literally have 1 striker above 77% health right now. Not good.

4 - So many fucking own goals. I see why people bitch about the match engine 0-1

57 We'll take that fluke goal by Burns. Against better judgement, Saxby on for Payne. 1-1

60 - Great efforts by Mogwo to keep us alive. One thing I noticed is that in this setup, the opposing defense gets pressured into stupid mistakes, as McGregor's header to Horgan is broken up by the defense... but they only head it into space for Horgan to be all alone and shoot us ahead 2-1

63 - All our defenders literally fall down trying to tackle the ballcarrier, which means loose ball and easy goal. Jefford on for Speed. 2-2

Considering all our health issues, I'm perfectly fine with this draw.

Transfer In - ST Shane Bennett (25) - From Brantham Athletic
He's fast (11 pace) and strong (12 Strength). That's what we need from our strikers these days.

Jake Wells is out of contract, but he won't even talk to me about joining up again. I barely recognize Scarborough Athletic - My only long-term signings they kept and made a key part of the lineup are Shayne Cooper and Ali Amiri. They're mid-table right now. Thetford Town hasn't won a game yet.

13th vs Enfield Town (20th)
S: Stuart Horgan/Shane Bennett

18 - Payne on the corner, Gould on the header. 1-0

23 - Fluky interception by Nunn, but a committee of midfield passes meets before it's delivered to Speed on the wing. The long range shot's parried by the keeper, but Horgan wins the jump ball to pound it in 2-0

38 - Bennett runs ahead suddenly on an opponent's free kick which I don't get until Gould clears it to him, which starts a move. Speed finds Horgan for a booming kick and goal-scoring header, but the ref calls it no good due to foul. WTFE.

43 - Simple as simple gets. Stroud goal kick to Bennett, and chip ahead pass for Horgan to nail it home 3-0

Powell in for an exhausted Summerfield at half.

66 - Nunn gets possession back after it's lost and hoofs it all the way to Bennett. He lays off to Horgan, who kicks it back to Powell. Triangle's complete with a beautiful pass forward and Bennett adds to his brilliant debut game with a goal. Eat that, 4 finishing! 4-0

84 - Nunn is forced off because of injury, so in hops Harwood.

8.6 for Nathan Speed, 7.5 for Tom Kemp, 7.6 for Kyle Craig, 8.6 for George Gould, the boys demonstrating again the defense is underrated. Jordan Payne with 7.9, Shane Bennett with a debut 8.2, and Stuart Horgan takes PotM honors with an 8.8.

We move up to 9th. Enfield Town sacks their manager immediately after the game, and there's a fair few other firings around the league. Gotta say, it feels damned good to be winning, even if we continue not to develop any tactical familiarity despite Tactics and Tactics Only as our training settings.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Eat that, 4 finishing!

I've found so little relationship to Finishing vs Goals Scored in the lowest levels that the stat borders on being meaningless.

What I think it does is roughly low Finishing = lots of spectacularly bad misses.

But in the right position & situation, 2 or higher seems to put the ball in the net way more often than you'd expect. I think it's simply a case of the defense being as bad or worse than the offense.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #155
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've found so little relationship to Finishing vs Goals Scored in the lowest levels that the stat borders on being meaningless.

What I think it does is roughly low Finishing = lots of spectacularly bad misses.

But in the right position & situation, 2 or higher seems to put the ball in the net way more often than you'd expect. I think it's simply a case of the defense being as bad or worse than the offense.

Yeah that's the most difficult thing I've had to come to terms with is the comparative meaninglessness of technical attributes for strikers down here.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #156
Izulde
Head Coach

Remember how my coaches snidely pooh-poohed George Gould? Well, he's gone from 1 gold star at DL and DC to 1.5 in each and the media is going crazy with lavish praise for the 21 year old. He's also part of my Scarborough Shortlist Signings, which I'll explain at the end of the year.

vs Black Country Rangers (Dudley Lathum Memorial Cup First Round Second Leg)
G: Marcus Davies (U18 Callup)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Luke Saxby/Gavin Lambert
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Kwasi Frempong
S: Jay McGregor/Shane Bennett

We have a 3-1 advantage from the away game, so this is our chance to stretch out some guys who need to get fully match fit. Those two good backup keepers we had? They both went away somewhere and I didn't see where, so we had to call up our best U18 guy to give our starter a breather.

9 - Ding on McGregor

15 - Wow, that was some bullshit penalty right there. 0-1

29 - Terrible corner kick by Frogpond and they nail us on the counter 0-2

52 - Enough of this shit. Payne in for Bennett and Summerfield/b] for Frempong.

80 - We get the makeup penalty call and Payne converts 1-2

[]b]88
- *Another* PK?! This one's for us, and TBH, it genuinely was the right call, unlike the other one that looked like a makeup. Payne converts again and we've got this wrapped up now 2-2

91 - Kemp didn't even try on that backpass, and they pounced on it. I noticed he has a tendency to make major fuckups at times 2-3

8.1 and PotM for Jordan Payne obviously, but hat tip to 7.8 from Harry Powell. TBH, I'm very annoyed with how we played in this game, and we were damn lucky to advance.

@AFC Totton (FA Vase First Round)
D: George Gould/Kyle Craig/Lyndon Jefford/Nathan Speed
M: Jordan Payne/Thomas Nunn/Blaine Gregson (U18 Call-up)

3 days after that, we've got another Cup match, so we'll keep rotating in as many different guys as we can, because our next league game is 4 days after this one.

14 - Meh. 0-1

23 - Robbed by the fucking post

28 - Speed comes off with injury. Dynan on.

53 - Totally fluke off the bar free kick goal by Gregson. That'll do just fine 1-1

87 - Well isn't that swell. Gould is knocked out and I have no backup for him due to Speed getting knocked off earlier. The absolute best I can do is pull Jefford to DL, pull Nunn down to DM, put Frempong in at MC so that we're only running three in the backline, and pray we can hold out for a few more minutes.

89 - Stupid, stupid move by Craig, but they have an even stupider shot, so it's all square still.

We just got unlucky because of injuries today. George Gould is out for a week.

vs AFC Totton (FA Vase First Round Replay)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Gavin Lambert/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Kwasi Frempong
S: Antwon Bonnick/Jordan Merriman

Still trying to keep a reserve heavy lineup, because league match in a few days, and this is a team we have a tough time beating anyway.

36 - Kemp goes off with injury and Saxby is on.

73 - Standout interception by [b]Burns[/b and he launches it to Merriman, our star striker dribbling down the left wing until he turns around and sends it back to Mogwo. The Congolese passes to Frempong and it goes from Frogpond to Powell, who lays it into open space for a streaking Merriman. Defender lost, goal gained! 1-0

75 - Fucking immediate answer! 1-1

82 - Not only was that shit a foul, he was offsides, too!

87 - Mogwo and Burns keep trading passes until a longball is sent to Bonnick. He sends it sideways to a completely open Powell for the kid's first goal for us 2-1

90 - We drop into Contain.

92 - And there's the cross bar robbing Bonnick of a surefire goal.

9.0 and PotM for Harry Powell, 7.4 for Jordan Merriman, and 7.3 for Antwon Bonnick to give us the advancement.

We get $2.26k for winning the FA Vase First Round. Funny... I don't remember getting that for Thetford Town. Oh well... not going to worry about it.

I'm going to try setting Training to Low to see if that helps the Tactics Only grow faster.

13th @Oxhey Jets (6th)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Nathan Speed

13 - I love these simple goals. Stroud's kick to Merriman, the pass to Horgan, the beating past the defender, the 1 on 1 for goal 1-0

19 - Speed atones for his own awful pass with a critical interception that he heads to Merriman. It's a smooth, silky ball to Horgan, who again outhustles the defense for a 1 on 1 and though I think the high shot is going to go over, it *just* drops in for the double 2-0

30 - YOU ASSCLOWN, STROUD! DON'T DROP THE FUCKING BALL OR I'LL FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN KICK YOUR SORRY ASS 2-1

Jefford for Burns and McGregor for Merriman at the break.

56 - Nunn wings it out to Speed, who goes to the right side of the box, pauses, and then launches it to the far post, where Horgan heads out everyone to nab his hat trick! 3-1

68 - I think I might literally go get some wine to celebrate after this. Speed kicks a ball so long and so far from the touchline I think it's going straight to the opponents, but instead bounces on the pitch and keeps on going. Well, you know who's going to get that, right? Yep, Horgan, beating out them all for his FOURTH GOAL OF THE GAME! 4-1

75 - You think we're done yet? Oh, hellll no! Horgan knocks down a header upon the goal kick from Stroud, getting to Nunn, who plays a phenomenal pass up for Moose McGregor. And our 6'9 fellow rampages down the field for his first ever senior goal!!! Sorry, you guys are going to have to let me post this video, too. He's my own pet project after all. 5-1

78 - WOW!!! Moose intercepts a poor goal kick and passes it to Horgan. I'm thinking McGregor is going to get the give-back, but Horgan is feeling so confident, it's a stride forward and GOAL #5 FOR HIM ON THE DAY!!! OMG! OMG! 6-1

I don't know if that's my first 10.0 or not in FM.... it might well be. But oh my God, what a moment!!! I won't paste all the goal highlights here, but I'm going to upload them to YouTube anyway because it was that damn special a game.

I know, I know... way too early to say anything, especially since we've been down this road before with both Thetford Town and Scarborough Athletic. But remember, this was also a team picked to finish 21st of 24 teams.

Oh, and as for Stuart Horgan?

...Yeah. He's 16. He's also the kind of kid I never would have looked at twice in my previous way of thinking, but my assman's love for him and my WTF not attitude gave him his shot.

And maybe it's a year's difference. And maybe system matters a whole hell of a lot, because he was on this squad last season as a youth pull.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #157
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
68 - I think I might literally go get some wine to celebrate after this. Speed kicks a ball so long and so far from the touchline I think it's going straight to the opponents, but instead bounces on the pitch and keeps on going. Well, you know who's going to get that, right? Yep, Horgan, beating out them all for his FOURTH GOAL OF THE GAME! 4-1

What'd that take, like a half-dozen fixtures? I'm pretty jealous right now, inasmuch as I've had a 10.0 never, a couple mid-9s, and have two hat-tricks with no four-goal matches as well. Forget about five. You're doing great!

Edit: That's one ridiculously competitive table as well. A hot streak could really upset the apple cart.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #158
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
What'd that take, like a half-dozen fixtures? I'm pretty jealous right now, inasmuch as I've had a 10.0 never, a couple mid-9s, and have two hat-tricks with no four-goal matches as well. Forget about five. You're doing great!

Edit: That's one ridiculously competitive table as well. A hot streak could really upset the apple cart.

TBH I think it's my first ever 10.0... at the very least since FM 10 (ironically) maybe 08? Can't remember that far back. Or maybe it is my very first, who knows?

All I know is, I about fell over in shock when it happened

Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #159
Izulde
Head Coach

So Stuart Horgan shattered the London Colney and South Midlands Premier Division goal-scoring records with that game. Former was a hat trick held by Jordan Merriman earlier this year, latter was 4, earned by a Anton Pooley from Hemel Hempstead Town earlier this season.

Bad Trains
Jordan Merriman
Jordan Payne
Tom Kemp

Good Trains
Shane Chadwick

So it turns out Shane Chadwick didn't go anywhere. I just forgot I put him in the U18s and somehow missed him when I went looking at the squad for who to call up.

Board is delighted so far. We made $3.64k in profit last month, due largely to the $2.26k FA Vase money.

8th @Bedford Town (15th)
D: George Gould/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Gavin Lambert

2 games in 3 days, boo. This looks to be the tougher one, though, so we'll field our best possible lineup here and shuffle the deck for the other game.

27 - This letdown is exactly what I was afraid of. Our defenders fall to the ground trying to tackle a guy and all miss 0-1

59 - Frempong for Nunn and McGregor for Horgan

60 - Double yellow for an opponent.... Now if we can just take advantage...

70 - Knock for Lambert, but he's been amazing, so he'll stay on.

84 - Whole lot of steady, slow passes, the last of which is Frogpond to Merriman to McGregor open in the box. Moose takes his time to line up his shot and pop it in 1-1

85 - They really should have scored the immediate answer on a corner kick, and we're lucky they didn't.

8.5 and PotM for Gavin Lambert, 7.5 for Tom Kemp. It was a very, very lucky draw, as we had just the one offensive highlight all game - They really wanted to shut us down, it seems.

Gavin Lambert also tore up his ankle so bad he's out 6-7 weeks. Unfortunate, but we'll keep on keeping on.

Kyle Craig has 108 interceptions, which currently places him 2nd in the league table. I sure do love my tall players.

6th vs Harefield United (18th)
D: Elliott Burns/Luke Saxby/Kyle Craig/Nathan Speed
M: Thomas Nunn/Richie Harwood/Kwasi Frempong

16 - Ugh 0-1

31 - Great heading pickoff by Speed and he pops it to McGregor, who gives to Powell. The pass to Horgan is tackled away, but by that time Moose has made his way up the field and kicks it in with the kind of lumbering authority that only he can 1-1

Mogwo comes on for Frempong at the half and I shuffle the midfield for the best role arrangement. Kemp replaces Craig.

48 - Burns recovers a blocked shot and gives it to Harwood, who finds Moose. The pass in the area goes to Horgan, who completes the turnaround shot for his 10th goal of the season already 2-1

61 - Wow... their guy has a wide open shot after Saxby completely misses the tackle, and the dude shoots it to the stratosphere.

77 - We're getting very, very lucky with their wide open misses.

84 - They finally sink in a fucking rebound. I smash the top of my desk in frustration 2-2

The team gets pissed when I tell them off. Fuck you guys, we were fucking lucky to draw here with your shit coasting after we got the lead. As a result, we're 7 points back of the lead with all games knotted up.

Oh, and this is how bad London Colney has been - Stuart Horgan is the first Blueboy in this universe to score 10 goals in a season.

Transfer In - DRC Nigel Stockwell (19)
10 Strength, 10 Stamina, 11 Jumping, 10 Balance, 10 Bravery, 17 Teamwork, 12 Workrate. My scout liked him. My assman... not so much. But he's more insurance and even the assman has him #2 DR and #5 DC.

6th vs Hanwell Town (14th)
D: George Gould/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Nathan Speed

I fucking hate this 11 days off, then 2 matches in 3 days bullshit. We need to quit with these piddly draws, so best lineup goes out there.

5 - The post jumps in front of Merriman's short free kick. Fuck you, post. Fuck you.

24 - Nunn intercepts a goal kick and heads it to Summerfield, who dribbles and shoots. It's deflected, but Horgan is right there to bank in the angled shot on the rebound 1-0

34 - Payne pressures the opposition and steals the ball on the right wing after Speed's stupid pass. The cross to Summerfield sees our AMC stride to the half circle, shoot, and convert. 2-0

62 - Jefford on for Speed, Harwood for Nunn

7.9 for Kyle Craig, 7.8 for George Gould, 7.5 for Tom Kemp, and 8.7 for PotM Will Summerfield. The second half was humdrum all around, but we'll take the precious 3 points here.

The press really talks up Will Summerfield and his amazing performances this season, and rightfully so. I knew there was a reason I kept lugging this kid from stop to stop. Remember, he's also the dumbass who signed with us and got hit with the no more than two teams in a season rule so he never got to play for Thetford Town.

6th vs Hadley FC (24th)
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Nigel Stockwell/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Thomas Nunn/Richie Harwood

Home game against the last place team is a good chance to rotate some guys and make sure everyone stays fresh.

25 - I feel a migraine coming on. Stroud can't catch the ball and they get the rebound. 0-1

36 - Supremely crafted move, the finisher of which is Nunn to Summerfield to McGregor, with Moose dribbling into the box before launching it in 1-1

Jefford in for Speed and Merriman for Horgan, with Moose moving to Target Man at the half.

70 - WTF Merriman?! You're supposed to destroy those shots!!!

75 - Heh. And now Merriman goes off with injury. Good thing I kept Payne on the bench as an emergency backup.

80 - Burns with the throw-in and McGregor gets absolutely hammered. No problem though, as Burns deep crosses it on the diagonal where Payne lifts his head and brings down the lead taking goal with authority! 2-1

91 - FUCK YOU, YOU COCKSUCKING SMURFDICK ASSFUCKING 20 YARD LATE EQUALIZER FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TGHRGUIOHUIOGHGUIO;HSFUIOHASRIOHTJGWT;WIOGFGHWR9THHER9RTG9PARTGATG[WRAG89R789FS789PGTS7GBUI4TIPEF79PYTW7895TY3-TY-34T3479PT 2-2

You better believe I fucking tore into the team in the god damned fucking locker room after that fucking HORSESHIT! This shit is fucking Thetford Town and Scarborough Athletic ALL THE FUCK OVER AGAIN.

HOW THE FUCK DO WE TIE THE GOD DAMNED LAST FUCKING PLACE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE IN OUR OWN FUCKING HOUSE?! THOSE FUCKWITS ONLY HAVE 1 WIN ON THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED FUCKING SEASON!

If we would have fucking won LIKE WE MOTHERFUCKING SHOULD HAVE, we'd only be 3 fucking points out of first place. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we had to act like we're fucking hot shot and fucking let the MAGIC FUCKING COMEBACK CODE bite us in the god damned fucking ass!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #160
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Anytime I've had a defense that inept ... actually, I've never had a defense that inept. I'd be thrilled with anything top half really(I understand why you're not with the history and all).

Oh, and you haven't lost in your last half-dozen or so. The sky isn't falling .
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #161
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Anytime I've had a defense that inept ... actually, I've never had a defense that inept. I'd be thrilled with anything top half really(I understand why you're not with the history and all).

Oh, and you haven't lost in your last half-dozen or so. The sky isn't falling .

Is it that inept or is Summerfield (our lone 5* current guy) just that good? It's hard to say really. And true the sky isn't falling, but the treadmill annoys to no end.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #162
Izulde
Head Coach

6th @AFC Dunstable (15th)
D: George Gould/Tom Kemp/Luke Saxby/Nathan Speed

I forgot to mention Jordan Merriman is out a week with a concussion, so yeah. My assman rates Luke Saxby as our second best DC, so he's going to get an extended run to see how he does, even though Kyle Craig has been outperforming his ratings.

41 - Seeing a lot of complacent/uninterested guys out there, and yeah. 0-1

Bonnick for Horgan and Powell for Summerfield at the break, as I let the team have it.

60 - There has not been a single fucking offensive highlight for us all fucking game 0-2

More yelling.

@Willand Rovers (FA Vase Second Round)
G: Shane Chadwick
D: Elliott Burns/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Nigel Stockwell
M: Richie Harwood/Will Summerfield/Kwasi Frempong

Tired people means a very shaken up lineup, so we'll probably lose.

1 - I'm amused to see Pickup pass to Pack. I'm not at all amused to see them get a PK and convert right at the fucking beginning 1-0

14 - A simple Burns to Horgan to Powell, with the 20 yard shot from the last finding the mark 1-1

39 - Oh look, a shitty tackle by Frogpond. Oh look, a fucking late half goal to go down 1-2

43 - Harwood makes a great recovery of a loose ball and passes to Horgan, who sends it to Bennett in the box on a short give. Their keeper should have been able to stop that shot. $20 says they immediately answer 2-2

45 - That fucking home cooking, though. Luckily they shank the PK.

Kemp and Stockwell are pulled at the half for Jeffords and Dynan.

61 - Gregson on for Frempong

[b[62[/b] - Dickass fucking corners 2-3

84 - HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MISS THAT, HORGAN?!

Transfer In - SW Arran Goodchild (20) - From Diss Town
I honestly thought he was a DC. Oops. He can technically play DC and he's 3.5 silver/4.5 at Sweeper... which gives me an idea...

Transfer In - DC Tyke Hague (19) - From Totton & Eling AFC
Just bringing in bodies to see if we can upgrade that D. He sucks though.

Andy Mogwo has the highest pass completion % in the league with 83. Hmm.

Bad Trains
Kwasi Frempong
Some U18 Kid

Board delighted. $931 profit.

8th @Colney Heath (4th)
SW: Aaron Goodchild
D: George Gould/Tom Kemp/Kyle CraigNathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Will Summerfield
S: Stuart Horgan/Jordan Payne

Oh yeah, I got suspended from this match. Sooo.... no special instructions package here.

67 - Well it worked for a half... but we suck at defending corners 0-1

87 - Meh 0-2

Bleh bleh bleh LOSE LOSE LOSE. So much for having turned shit around.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #163
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Is it that inept or is Summerfield (our lone 5* current guy) just that good? It's hard to say really. And true the sky isn't falling, but the treadmill annoys to no end.

My read would be it's that inept(except for recent signee Kemp). Reason being, yeah Summerfield might just be that good but then there's the other mids ... and your strikers ... and your keepers ... all of which are a good deal better than your defense. My thinking is that based on what you've posted, you really need a couple more quality defenders. If you get them somehow, you should be good enough to challenge for promotion. I haven't done an amateur club in so long that I can't really tell you how to get them(and probably Summerfield will sign somewhere a league or two up the ladder before then, etc. but ya know)

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-10-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #164
Izulde
Head Coach

My keeper also dropped to 2.5 stars so the problem is my entire back of the team it looks like. I'll go back to the 4-3-1-2, but try out Summerfield, Mogwo, and Nunn at MC, Powell at AMC, and Payne and Merriman up front... Payne is our highest rated striker at 4, with Merriman and Horgan at 3 and 2.5.

MC it's Summerfield 5, Mogwo and Nunn 4, Payne 3. AMC is Summerfield 5 and Powell 2.5, so I feel like overall we'll get more out of moving Payne to the striker spot.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #165
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Where do you rank in terms of goals scored/allowed so far in your table?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #166
Izulde
Head Coach

3rd in Goals Scored (35 - Top Team has 39) and 17th in Goals Allowed with 28.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 AM   #167
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Ok sounds like definitely the back half then, that's pretty similar to what I would have expected. Offense is working fine it would seem(overall). Hopefully you can find a way to plug whatever the biggest holes are back there eventually.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #168
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Out of curiosity, how is your team's morale? There sure is a lot of yelling
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #169
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok sounds like definitely the back half then, that's pretty similar to what I would have expected. Offense is working fine it would seem(overall). Hopefully you can find a way to plug whatever the biggest holes are back there eventually.

Yeah it's proving difficult. Most guys are Hot Prospects or Backups when I go to sign them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
Out of curiosity, how is your team's morale? There sure is a lot of yelling

Okay overall, with a few Fairly Poors.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #170
Izulde
Head Coach

So I switch back to the 4-1-3-2, obviously.

Transfer In - DLR Wesley Nunn (21) - From Colney Heath
Massive talent upgrade. Assman rates him as 4/5 on DL and 3/5 on DR. 6.91 rating the last 5 games for our division foes. Immediately rates as one of our top players. 11 Tackling, Bravery, and Pace; 12 Influence and 10 Balance. This kid is an out and out steal for us.

13th vs Kingsbury London Tigers (21st)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/George Gould/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield
S: Jordan Payne/Jordan Merriman

19 - ...WTF? Stroud thinks he hears a shot coming so he goes to ground even though the shot is like 20 yards away. It's blocked, but they get the rebound still 20 yards out and Stroud's fucking stupid ass is still on the ground, so they of course score. He's done. 0-1

33 - A pendulum of interceptions that finally ends with Summerfield to Thomas Nunn to Powell to Payne, and with the latter in the box, he takes a second to time and shoot past the defense and keeper 1-1

40 - Of course you fuckwits allow a goal right before half AGAIN! 1-2

Goodchild in for Kemp at the break. Even more yelling. We need to stop losing at home to shit teams.

47 - Merriman with the 30 yard free kick goal to at least get us back level 2-2

58 - Fuck this jumped unfairly bullshit. That was a clear deserved goal for us.

64 - Frempong for Summerfield, who is having a shit game.

91 - GHOASHGIOSGHIOUGHHFGUOPHGFOYQT4900999W4SO'GHO[LTFYHGRGHUIOGHASGHWUIOGHWEUIORTEGHU;IOGHAWRIPGWR89TTYWAEO[RT GOD MOTHERFUKCING DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-3

@ Stotfold FC (Dudley Latham Memorial Cup Second Round First Leg
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/George Gould/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield

We can forget about the league and promotion, so we may as well play for a fucking rinky dink cup.

19 - Fuck you. 0-1

28 - Gould's knocked out, so Goodchild in.

50 - WTFE 0-2

53 - Suck my dick, you fucking fuckknob of a ref. Powell wasn't offsides. But who gives a shit? We'd just fucking lose anyway.

72 - Hi, I'm Wesley Nunn and I'm going to play like a fucking idiot my first two games despite all the fucking hype 0-3

Because our backline didn't fucking suck enough, George Gould is out 2 months.

DO NOT FUCKING ASK ME ABOUT CONTRACTS WHEN WE'RE A FUCKING AMATEUR SIDE, YOU FUCKING DIPSTICK OF AN OLD FUCK REPORTER

Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #171
Izulde
Head Coach

15th vs St. Margaretsbury (22nd)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Gavin Lambert
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Blaine Gregson
S: Jordan Payne/Stuart Horgan

13 - Whole lot of passes by our midfield that create a line finishing in Horgan taking the ball and dribbling forward before laying it perfectly between two defenders for Payne to slam home 1-0

18 - Similar midfield passing build-up, with Harwood eventually passing the ball between two defenders in almost the exact same spot as the first goal, only this time, it's Powell taking advantage of the hole 2-0

Frogpond for Gregson at the half.

58 - Ton of passes all around the field here, but it finally plays out that Frempong passes to Payne, who puts it to Powell. Great pass for Horgan, but the defense tackles it away. Unfortunately for them, Payne is there to tap in his second goal of the game 3-0

Long time since we've had a game like this. 7.5 for Gavin Lambert, who I'm starting to prefer over Speed, and the same for Tom Kemp and Wesley Nunn. 8.0 for Kyle Craig who out performs his ratings better than anyone. 8.5 for Richie Harwood, 8.1 for Harry Powell, and 8.6 for Jordan Payne.

St. Margaretsbury fires their manager after the game, and so does Levenstock Green.

Jordan Payne is drawing a lot of media praise.

vs Stotfold FC (Dudley Lathum Memorial Cup Second Round Second Leg)
D: Elliott Burns/Arran Goodchild/Nigel Stockwell/Lyndon Jefford
M: Thomas Nunn/Kwasi Frempong/Luke Saxby
AM: Clive Talbot
S: Antwon Bonnick/Shane Bennett

This is what you call throwing the game because we're down 0-3 after the first leg and have a league match in 3 days.

5 - We're awarded a PK and Nunn converts. Nice start 1-0

11 - We suck at defending corners. I ain't even mad, tho 1-1

20 - Bonnick denied by the post for the 900th time.

27 - See this, Stroud? That stupid as fuck shit you do coming out for the ball and getting punished for it? That's why you're gone as soon as I can get a good keeper to come in here. Fucking 2 star old ass 1-2

50 - Nice work, Talbot, getting the red in your first senior game of my regime.

62 - I know you've had some hard ass luck, Bonnick, but when you blow easy ones like that, it's why Moose McGregor is ahead of you on the DC.

90 Yawn. 1-3

I go easy on them despite the complete joke of a performance. I do, however, warn Clive Talbot for his red. It was clearly deserved. He accepts the admonishment.

Luke Saxby goes off to AFC Kempston Rovers. Don't really care because of how much he sucked.

13th @Hertford Town (6th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Gavin Lambert
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Will Summerfield

11 - In which we continue to suck at corner kick defense 0-1

45 - WHY YES, DON'T FORGET TO FUCKING ALLOW A GOAL SECONDS BEFORE THE HALF ENDS, YOU INCOMPETENT FUCKNOZZLES!!!! 0-2

Nunn moves to DR and Burns comes on at DL.

48 -

But Merriman still manages to fire it high and hard to cut the lead in half 1-2

59 - Payne backpasses to Burns on the wing, and here's a fuck yeah cross to the six yard box where Merriman half-volleys it in like a fucking boss. I'm tired of Summerfield sucking ass at MC, so I bring in Nunn to replace him 2-2

[b75[/b] - Look. I like you Harwood, but you can't go missing those sitters.

82 - Payne recovers a corner and passes to Powell on the wing. He dribbles inside the box and crosses to the six yard box, where despite howls of offside protest from the opposition, Merriman gets the hat trick 3-2

[b]89[/b= Thanks for missing and giving us a real shot at 3 points, dudes.

We hold them off, and for once, yelling did the trick. In fact, they say after the game my epic rant turned things around. 7.6 for Kyle Craig, 9.6 for Jordan Merriman, and 7.5 for Jordan Payne.

One thing I've noticed is that Will Summerfield absolutely hates playing MC.

Will this work? Fuck if I know, but it can't hurt to have it as another tactic to work on.

From the Low Bar Department, Harry Powell's 7 season assists is a new London Colney record. Andy Merriman gets some blowies from the press.

Liam Bostock cries to the media twice in two days about not getting PT, so I cut his ass. We still can't get a keeper to show up here, by the way. Clive Talbot gets a 2 match suspension.

12th @Chalfont St. Peter (15th)
Yeah we're trying out that 4-2-2-2 you saw pictured up there, though the game wants to call it a 4-4-2. Whatevs.

3 - HTF did you miss that, Payne?!?!

13 - Man, Powell is just on fire. Makes two key interceptions here, and the pass to Payne in the box. When it's tackled away (of course), Powell charges forth to get the bounce off the keeper for the score 1-0

15 - Kemp, I am disappoint in your (in)ability to take a dude out 1-1

21 - Thomas Nunn and Payne exchange passes prior to T sending it in the box for Powell, who delivers goal the second. 2-1

31 - Lollerskates. Powell hits the corner and a defender leaps in the air to head it right in his own damn net. 3-1

41 - Thanks for the save, crossbar!

So like, if this 4-2-2-2 is really gonna be a thing, I need to find more AMCs. I also need a DR, because Lambert continues to suck on ice. Enter Wesley Nunn to DR and Burns to DL.

52 - Damn right that was a foul and the goal's disallowed. Harwood on for Mogwo.

60 - Go fuck a cactus, you fucking fluke goal. WHY THE FUCK DO THEY ALWAYS GET THEM AND NEVER US?! 2-3

66 - Double yellow, fuck yeah!

71 - FUCK YOU, YOUDOSHGOSFHGOSIHOSD FUCKING COMEBAKC CODE BULLFUCKINGASSFUCKTWITFUCKASSMONGERFUCKIKGNWHORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON A FUCKING SHORTHANDED GOAL?! ARE YOU *MOTHERFUCKING* KIDDING ME?!?! 3-3

89 - Summerfield gets triple gang-tackled in their half of the field and you're fucking right that shit is a free kick and yellow. Merriman's free kick goes in the air and we're awarded a penalty. Fuck them for bitching about it, and fucking hoo-fucking-ray for Merriman converting that shit. Let's fucking contain this bitch to say fuck you to the comeback code 4-3

91 - FUCK YOU RIGHT UP THE ASS WITH A FUCKING FLAMING 50 FUCKING ASSFUCKS OF GREY HOT ASS FUCKIGN POKER YOU HSNGIOHAGIOUIOGHEIOHGWRT9[WRH[TO9HTRE[J 4-4

I bitch out Kyle Craig and the two reserves, because those dumbfucks gave this shit away with their fucking HORRIBLE performance RIGHT OUT OF THE FUCKING BLUE.

I'm walking away from the screen before I literally snap my keyboard in half. We've had this fucking bullshit happen to us way too many fucking times this season.

Last edited by Izulde : 08-10-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #172
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Just a couple of things about the new 4-2-2-2 that I noticed.

* You have your DLRs on Attack duties. If that helps your attack, that's fine, but consider that you will have your DLRs too high at times when the other team intercepts the ball or something like that. If that happens, your DLRs will have a lot of space behind them for opposing wingers to use if they are fast, or if they are good at passing. That's probably one reason why Chalfont was able to come back. They might have gone more attacking in the second half, played direct, and got some long balls behind your DLRs.

Personally, without any MLRs, I would never put my DLRs any higher than Support duty. But I think you can get by with that if you have both your MCs on Defend duty. That way, at least if the other team does get a winger with some space on the flanks, you'll have four guys in the box to deal with any crosses - your two DCs and two MCs. You could also try just having one of your fullbacks on Attack, but have the other on Defend.

* Again, you know your team better than I do, but with two MCs, two AMCs and two STs, I don't think you need one ST to be a target man. If you have trouble in your attack, you could try putting him as a Deep Lying Forward. That way, the attack doesn't run through him and spread out more among your attacking players (although you have Nunn as a Deep Lying Playmaker, so that might not be such an issue anyway). But if Payne's a DLF, he might step back more and allow Powell to overlap and attack the box instead, creating some serious matchup problems for opposing defenses.

Anyway, just some thoughts. You can ignore them if you want.

Last edited by bbgunn : 08-10-2014 at 08:08 PM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #173
law90026
College Benchwarmer

What I would say is that I think you are tinkering too much with your formations when the season starts. One of the things about FM is that your strategy/tactics need to be ready (as much as possible) before the season starts.

Even plug and play tactics (i.e. those created to exploit certain mechanics in the game) only show results after 6-10 matches.

The other thing (and I realise this may take away the realism) is that morale is very important in the game and the team talks play a big part of it. If morale drops, performance drops and yelling doesn't necessarily help. It's kind of how a coach who is constantly yelling at his team in most sports eventually loses the locker room.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #174
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post

* You have your DLRs on Attack duties. If that helps your attack, that's fine, but consider that you will have your DLRs too high at times when the other team intercepts the ball or something like that. If that happens, your DLRs will have a lot of space behind them for opposing wingers to use if they are fast, or if they are good at passing. That's probably one reason why Chalfont was able to come back. They might have gone more attacking in the second half, played direct, and got some long balls behind your DLRs.

Personally, without any MLRs, I would never put my DLRs any higher than Support duty. But I think you can get by with that if you have both your MCs on Defend duty. That way, at least if the other team does get a winger with some space on the flanks, you'll have four guys in the box to deal with any crosses - your two DCs and two MCs. You could also try just having one of your fullbacks on Attack, but have the other on Defend.

I'd agree with this, having your full backs on attacking duty without any wide midfielders/wingers to help out means you're expecting your full-backs to cover the whole pitch. This is a big ask for low-level players and means they're likely to be caught out of position in defense and unable to be effective in attack, meaning the instruction is wasted and counter-productive.

Case in point, Leighton Baines for England against Italy in the World Cup. Without a defined/responsible left midfielder ahead of him he was easily contained by Italy's right-back and right-midfielder when going forward (thus nullifying his greatest asset and what he was in the team to do), and then caught out of position or overrun when Italy broke quickly down their right.

Last edited by mrtourette : 08-11-2014 at 01:56 AM.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #175
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post

* Again, you know your team better than I do, but with two MCs, two AMCs and two STs, I don't think you need one ST to be a target man. If you have trouble in your attack, you could try putting him as a Deep Lying Forward. That way, the attack doesn't run through him and spread out more among your attacking players (although you have Nunn as a Deep Lying Playmaker, so that might not be such an issue anyway). But if Payne's a DLF, he might step back more and allow Powell to overlap and attack the box instead, creating some serious matchup problems for opposing defenses.

Anyway, just some thoughts. You can ignore them if you want.

Good points. I was just going by a link that said you should always one of your wide players in Attack mode, but perhaps because we're so low a level, that doesn't apply.

I'll try Payne at the DLF and the DLR at Support see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
What I would say is that I think you are tinkering too much with your formations when the season starts. One of the things about FM is that your strategy/tactics need to be ready (as much as possible) before the season starts.

Even plug and play tactics (i.e. those created to exploit certain mechanics in the game) only show results after 6-10 matches.

The other thing (and I realise this may take away the realism) is that morale is very important in the game and the team talks play a big part of it. If morale drops, performance drops and yelling doesn't necessarily help. It's kind of how a coach who is constantly yelling at his team in most sports eventually loses the locker room.

True, and I know that about the tinkering and the morale, and that I should be calm when morale stops dropping.... just so damned hard to stay nice and polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtourette
I'd agree with this, having your full backs on attacking duty without any wide midfielders/wingers to help out means you're expecting your full-backs to cover the whole pitch. This is a big ask for low-level players and means they're likely to be caught out of position in defense and unable to be effective in attack, meaning the instruction is wasted and counter-productive.

Case in point, Leighton Baines for England against Italy in the World Cup. Without a defined/responsible left midfielder ahead of him he was easily contained by Italy's right-back and right-midfielder when going forward (thus nullifying his greatest asset and what he was in the team to do), and then caught out of position or overrun when Italy broke quickly down their right.

Excellent point. It's been adjusted now.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #176
Izulde
Head Coach

Jordan Merriman's 12 season goals breaks the London Colney record Stuart Horgan set earlier this year.

12th vs Leverstock Green (19th)
GK: Shane Chadwick
D: Elliott Burns/Gavin Lambert/Kyle Craig/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Blaine Gregson

4-3-1-2 due to health/rest stuff. We're training both it and the 4-4-2-2 in match training by the way.

25 - How the hell do you miss a PK, Merriman?!

28 - Knock on Speed

35 - Fuck corner kicks 0-1

Sometime later in the half - Oh fuck me. Merriman's knocked, too.

Frempong in for Mogwo at the half, Horgan for Merriman. Whole team is dragging ass out there.

47 - Eyyyy yo, fuck off. 0-2

51 - Gregson with the intercept and pass to Horgan, who immediately heads it on into the box, where Summerfield beats 3 defenders to score 1-2

64 - Great recovery by Frogpond of a blocked pass, starting a move that sees Burns cross to Payne for the shot. Deflected... but Payne's there for his rebound and bam we're level 2-2

65 - OH COME THE FUCK ON! 3 KNOCKS IN A FUCKING GAME?! This one's Harwood, but he'll simply have to fight through it.

75 - Lovely bit of running from Summerfield before he passes it to Payne in the box. Ball has just enough lift to pop over the keeper and into the net for the go ahead goal 3-2

81 - I feel bad you for Leverstock Green, cuz I got 99 problems, but shanking a shot ain't one.

93 - YOU HAVE GOT TO FUCKING BE KI.... oh. offsides. Well then.

This one was all about Will Summerfield going from 5.9 to 7.8 and Jordan Payne also turning it on in the second half to finish with an 8.8 and PotM. Funny part was? Summerfield had the red stressed reaction during halftime talk.

But this game costs us Nathan Speed, Jordan Merriman, and Richie Harwood all for 3 weeks. Fuck you in the dickhole, Leverstock Green.

Good Trains
Harry Powell
Gavin Lambert
Arran Goodchild

Bad Trains
Shane Chadwick

$2.7k profit. Board still loves me.

Transfer In - Atonofpositions George Jones (25) - From Hartley Whitney
Yep, that guy again. AMC is his natural position though, so... Unfortunately that 3.5* star guy I thought I was getting? 0.5 stars. Just damn. Worse? He gets hit with the no more than 2 teams a year thing Summerfield did a couple years ago.

Transfer In - DC/MC Barry Wilfort (20) - From Homer Green
13 Determination, 10 Influence, 12 Teamwork, 12 Workrate, 10 Natural Fitness. Can play DL/DR in a pinch, and my assman thinks he's our third best DC, though that's damning with faint praise. I really see him as a MC most of the time though, in our 4-3-1-2 variant anyway.

8th @Hemel Hempstead Town (2nd)
D: Wesley Nunn/Gavin Lambert/Tom Kemp/Nigel Stockwell
M: Thomas Nunn/Barry Wilfort/Andy Mogwo

43 - Yep, let's just let them fucking score right before the fucking half ends 0-1

48 - Off goes Kemp with injury, and on comes Goodchild.

59 - McGregor on for Horgan, who is lousing up the game.

71 - Fair bit of buildup on the left wing, finalizing with Nunn forward to Wilfort, the new kid having a great near cross post where McGregor's 6'9 moosey self literally slide tackles a goal in. 1-1

89 - 1-2

I go easy on them, but fuckign damn it if that itsn't the fucking 8093rd fucking time we've gotten fucking raped out of points by a fucking late ass fucking goal.

11th @Stotfold FC (8th)
D: Elliott Burns/Arran Goodchild/Kyle Craig/Wesley Nunn
M: Blaine Gregson/Will Summerfield/Kwasi Frempong

27 - Knock for McGregor

40 - Vicious knock on Nunn.

Jefford for Nunn at the half, because that's one nasty looking injury to try and play through.

54 - Deception games here as McGregor makes it look like he's going forward for a shot, when there's a sudden backpass to Talbot and then to Summerfield. Up to Horgan, pass to McGregor again, back to Talbot and the shot goes in for the kid's first goal of the year! I don't know HTF the defense can scream that's offsides 1-0

Kyle Craig was a one man wrecking crew for his 9.0 and PoTM, and an 8.0 for Clive Talbot on that rather pretty goal.

Moves us up to 7th, 9 points back of the lead, but the 2nd place team has 4 games in hand on the leaders and is 5 points back, so that could change in a hurry.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #177
Izulde
Head Coach

Nathan Dynan and one of the DL scrubs we signed both get their walking papers after complaining to the press

8th vs Wingate & Finchley (16th)
D: Elliott Burns/Gavin Lambert/Tom Kemp/Nigel Stockwell
M: Thomas Nunn/Barry Wilfort/Andy Mogwo

1 - Ugh. Knock on Payne, but he'll play through.

12 - Nice to see a fluke goal by Mogwo go our way. Gotta say, Wilfort is looking great so far 1-0

14 - Like here, where Wilfort bangs down the header on Chadwick's goal kick, and puts it to Payne's feet. Dribble, dribble through the defense, and *bam*! Hello, happy doubletime! 2-0

79 - Not this shit again. Jefford and Craig in for Stockwell and Kemp and we're going Contain the rest of the way. 2-1

7.6 for Nigel Stockwell, 7.9 for Tom Kemp, 8.2 for PotM Gavin Lambert. 7.8 for Andy Mogwo, 7.5 for Barry Wilfort.

Transfer In - MC Joseph Boakye (25) - From Erith & Belvedere
Ghanaian with 11 Passing, 11 Technique, 11 Creativity, 11 Flair, 10 Influence, 15 Teamwork, 10 Workrate, 14 Natural Fitness, and 10 Pace. Checks in as 5* player and pretty much guarantees we're sticking with the 4-3-1-2 the rest of the year. I'm genuinely excited to get this guy.

Kyle Craig still #2 in interceptions with 211. Despite my coaches hating him rating him, kid just plays like mad.

5th @Hatfield Town (17th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Kyle Craig/Tom Kemp/Lyndon Jefford
M: Blaine Gregson/Will Summerfield/Joseph Boakye
S: Jay McGregor/Antwon Bonnick

Lot of guys in need of rest here, so it's a cobbled together lineup.

7 - Can't keep strikers healthy. Moose knocked.

18 - Pfeh. 0-1

33 - Boakye's free kick does nothing, and Kemp's clang shot is blocked, but McGregor fights through the traffic to put his giant hoof on the ball and in 1-1

Goodchild for Kemp and Frempong for Talbot at the break.

77 - Oh look, Craig is knocked, too.

81 - Lot of great passes by Boakye on this drive, including the initial ring passes from him to Summerfield to Gregson to Nunn, which sets up the go-ahead goal. Frankly one of the prettiest I can recall seeing from a shape standpoint 2-1

85 - You knew the Comeback Code was going to kick in, so I'm like a mild fuck you 2-2

Honestly, we've been dicked over so much by the magic late game AI comebacks, I feel like we would be in fucking first place right now or close to it. That's some bitter ass shit to swallow when we're 5th and 9 points out with a game hand. 2nd place is 5 back though and has 4 games in hand still, so that's still capable of a huge reversal.

Jay McGregor's out a week and Tom Kemp gets a week and a half vacation to deal with a nasty ass flu. We just can't catch a break in trying to title chase.

Last edited by Izulde : 08-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #178
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure if it's as applicable in FM2014 but the AI will go all out when it's down in the last 10 minutes or so. In games where it's close, it's not a bad idea to change the strategy to the most defensive one possible at that stage (I tend to use counter because I play with higher level teams but something like contain works better).
Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #179
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
I'm not sure if it's as applicable in FM2014 but the AI will go all out when it's down in the last 10 minutes or so. In games where it's close, it's not a bad idea to change the strategy to the most defensive one possible at that stage (I tend to use counter because I play with higher level teams but something like contain works better).

Perhaps. I run Counter at home and Defensive on the road, so I was already in defensive last game. Not sure Contain would have prevented it, but it's certainly possible. Maybe I'll have to use it more often.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #180
Izulde
Head Coach

5th @North Greenford United (15th)
D: Elliott Burns/Gavin Lambert/Nigel Stockwell/Wesley Nunn
M: Thomas Nunn/Barry Wilfort/Joseph Boakye

5 - 0-1

34 - How the fuck did we ever get to the 5th place? 0-2

38 - Powell has a beautiful one on one from a Payne pass, and he kicks it right at the fucking keeper.

Goodchild in for Stockwell, Mogwo for Boakye. The whole team has been lousy out there.

We made huge improvements in our second half play, but it results in no highlights of any kind.

Transfer In - GK Pompo Majara (19)
Lesothoan U20 team member who my coaches aren't all that fond of in his current ability, and he was a Waltham Forest backup the last few years. But hey, he's worth a shot, no?

5th vs Haringey Borough (2nd)
GK: Pompo Majara
D: Elliott Burns/Kyle Craig/Nigel Stockwell/Nathan Speed
M: Andy Mogwo/Richie Harwood/Joseph Boakye
AM: Will Sumemrfield
S: Shane Bennett/Jordan Merriman

5 - A knock for Boakye.

13 - Fuck you, frame. Fuck you. 0-1

Gregson for Boakye, Talbot for Summerfield

69 - We're just nowhere near ready to contend for promotion 0-2

Joseph Boakye is out 3 weeks.

Transfer In - ST Romone Barton (20)
Got sent off his last domestic match with Enfield 1893 FC so he'll sit out two games. 10 Free Kicks, 14 Determination, 11 Flair, 12 Teamwork, 14 Work Rate, 10 Balance, 12 Jumping, 10 Natural Fitness, 10 Stamina, 10 Strength. Our newest 5/5 player.

8th @Holmer Green (16th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Kyle Craig/Tom Kemp/Nathan Speed
M: Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield/Andy Mogwo
S: Jordan Merriman/Jordan Payne

20 - Mogwo tracks down a failed corner and exchanges passes with Summerfield before centering to Payne for the half-volley hit and final snapping of the goal drought 1-0

24 - Great clearance by Craig but the midfield doesn't get there and fuck 1-1

43 - Merriman shoots nervous and shanks an easy one.

54 - Majara is a bust for now Burns in for W Nunn 1-2

67 - Payne is completely hammered by 3 defenders, but it's too little, too late, as he's already sent the ball on to Merriman for the tying goal 2-2

We still can not find an upgrade on the defense or in goal who's willing to sign with us.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #181
Izulde
Head Coach

Bad Trains
Richie Harwood
Tom Kemp
Shane Chadwick
Paul Lawrence

Just $115 profit this month.

10th vs Northwood FC (11th)
GK: Richard Stroud
M: Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield/Andy Mogwo

10 - Mogwo makes a header interception to Payne, who dribbles into the box and waits for Merriman to get open. He does, and we've finally got a lead in what feels like forever 1-0

21 - Merriman with an amazing ball forward for Payne at midfield. The keeper comes out and the shot is open, but it's blocked... but Thomas Nunn is there to apply the finish! 2-0

36 - Ugh. Doesn't matter who we put in goal, though Stroud did make a great save earlier 2-1

60 - Burns for W Nunn, Gregson for Mogwo 2-2

80 - Wide open shot for Payne after a beautiful free kick by Speed and he completely assfucks it every which way but in the motherfucking net.

84 - You knew this was going to happen, didn't you? BECAUSE FUCK THE AI LATE GAME MAGIC GOAL BULLSHIT! 2-3

91 - Sure, Thomas Nunn. FUCKING BLOW THAT GOD DAMN EASY ASS FUCKING GOAL LIKE YOU'RE A FUCKING VEGAS HOOKER CARD CUMBUCKET BITCH!

I hate this team so very fucking much.

Stuart Horgan, the 5 goal kid? He just fucking went off to Hadley FC.

14th vs Wembley (20th)
M: Thomas Nunn/Richie Harwood/Andy Mogwo
S: Romone Barton/Jordan Merriman

7 - WTF do I even bother? 0-1

22 - Barton kicks it back to Harwood, who slides it over to Nunn. It's Merriman who receives the pass forward, and he dribbles into the box until he finds his spot, and good is his shot. 1-1

Payne in for Mogwo at the half.

59 - How did I fucking guess? 1-2

73 - Burns on for Wesley Nunn

76 - Burns gets the ball and starts a move ending in Nunn to Payne to Merriman. I can't cheer because we're still not fucking winning 2-2

81 - Nunn heads down a goal kick to Merriman, who sends it forward to Barton. He dribbles past everyone, times his shot, and roars it in for a debut goal! Let's contain this shit 3-2

This one was all PotM Jordan Merriman's 8.8 for 2 goals.

Jordan Payne sets the team season assists record with 10.

10th @Hillingdon Borough (13th)
D: Elliott Burns/George Gould/Arran Goodchild/Gavin Lambert
M: Barry Willfort/Joseph Boakye/Andy Mogwo

3 - Oh look. Crossbar robbery.

11 - Should've scored there Merriman, even with the defense laying our guys out left and right

19 - Whole lot of passing here, capped off by Boakye to Summerfield to Merriman, who actually dribbles *away* from the goal to find his angle and shoot it in 1-0

27 - Whatever. 1-1

30 - Wilfort recovers a loose ball and the midfield passes it around a bit before Mogwo launches it up to Summerfield in the box. The shot is right at the keeper and pushed away, but Summerfield picks up his own rebound and sinks it 2-1

40 - These are for you, corner kicks. 2-2

54 - Lambert's knocked, so Wesley Nunn will get a redemption shot.

71 - Gregson for Boakye

81 - Fucking of course. Another fucking corner goal kick AND ANOTHER GOD DAMNED MOTHERFUCKING LATE GOAL GIVEN UP TO LOSE THE FUCKING GAME 2-3

And we STILL can't fucking ANYBODY to come in and play on this fucking shitty ass backline to upgrade it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #182
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'm just glad you are continuing...I'm saddened to see the frustration still.

That being said, should I get free time, you've inspired me to try this game again.

I'm looking at Bath City to start my escapade.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #183
Izulde
Head Coach

So from this and from searching, it appears the FBs should be set to Zonal Marking and Own Area.

Shane Bennett breaks his arm and is out a month.

11th @Enfield Town (20th)
D: Elliott Burns/Kyle Craig/Tom Kemp/Wesley Nunn
M: Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye/Andy Mogwo

17 - Mogwo's knocked out with injury. Gregson in

18 - Yeah, that disallowed goal was correct. Don't be such a bully, Summerfield.

22 - Whole lot of midfield passing, winding up in Summerfield passing to Merriman just outside the box. Rather than go forward, our striker kicks it back to Gregson, who moves into the box and hits a bloop shot that gets a little help from the frame to go in 1-0

Jefford in for a tired Burns at the half.

80 - Magic AI catch up goal magic fucking happens again 1-1

Andy Mogwo is out 4 weeks with a groin tear. This whole fucking season has been a groin tear.

Good Trains
Kwasi Frempong
George Jones
Shane Chadwick

Bad Trains
Tom Kemp

We record our first losing month of the year - $885 in the red. But the board is still pleased despite our fucking inability to win a god damned game.

13th vs Bedford Town (7th)
M: Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye/Blaine Gregson

8 - WTF Barton? Key players do not miss easy goals like that!!!!!!!!!!

47 - Harwood in for Thomas Nunn

57 - Powell in for Summerfield

Great work by the backline, and our Lesothoan keeper finally gets a shutout... and of course we don't win.

13th @Oxhey Jets (7th)
M: Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye/Richie Harwood

Payne in for Barton at the half.

60 - Powell in for Summerfield

65 - I'm about ready to say fuck the Counter and Defensive approaches 0-1

85 - MAGIC LATE GOAL AI AGAIN! 0-2

Offensive highlights we had that game? Zero.

I hate this fucking game, and envy the bastards who are fucking brilliant at it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #184
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I'm just glad you are continuing...I'm saddened to see the frustration still.

That being said, should I get free time, you've inspired me to try this game again.

I'm looking at Bath City to start my escapade.

At least it's inspiring people.

I've seen a couple places where people have said if you don't manage to promote within the first 2-3 seasons as an Amateur side, you're pretty much dead because of all the semi-pro teams you'll have to contend with.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #185
Izulde
Head Coach

15th @Harefield United (24th)
M: Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield/Blaine Gregson

11 - A knock for Thomas Nunn but he'll play on.

38 - Terrible clearance by their keeper and Powell puts the longball in 1-0

44 - Merriman with the free kick... and Powell rises above everyone to head it in! 2-0

46 - And of course, literally seconds before the half, they score 2-1

53 - Jefford for Kemp, Boakye for Thomas Nunn.

72 - Payne makes a painful flub of an easy goal.

83 - Boakye gets a loose ball and passes it forward to Merriman for the 20 yard strike, and we drop into Contain. 3-1

86 - Only the post stops them from scoring here.

93 - With seconds left in the game, Merriman nails the free kick and Craig slams home the diving header 4-1

7.5 for Wesley Nunn, 8.4 for Kyle Craig, 7.5 for Elliott Burns, 9.3 and PotM for Harry Powell and 9.2 for Jordan Merriman.

It's hard to get excited about this win, though. We're mired in the mid-table, and the promotion place has pretty much been decided, and it's yet another Amateur team earning their Semi-Pro stripes next year.

Loan In - DR Lewis Dark (28) - From Potters Bar Town
Loaned in until the end of the season and marginally our best DR option at 2.5 stars. Means we can move Wesley Nunn back to DL.

13th @Hanwell Town (5th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/George Gould/Lewis Dark
M: Jordan Payne/Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye

14 - Didn't look offsides to me, but we'll take it.

15 - And then they screw up what should have been an easy goal on a corner

23 - Lazy fucking knockaway by Kemp that no one gets and fuckity fuck fuck fuck fuck 0-1

28 - Great aggressiveness by Powell to charge forward and receive passes from Barton and Merriman. The post denies his first shot, but he surges forth again and gets the rebound to go 1-1

60 - McGregor in for Barton, Jefford on for Dark

72 - Yep, once it hits 70, time for them to fucking get ALL THE GOALS 1-2

Last edited by Izulde : 08-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #186
Izulde
Head Coach

14th vs AFC Dunstable (5th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Kyle Craig/George Gould/Lewis Dark
M: Jordan Payne/Will Summerfield/Joseph Boakye

11 - Nice runback, block, and retrieve by Boakye, who launches a boomer down the right flank. Merriman picks it up and hits a cross shot on the far side of the box. Keeper deflects, but Powell's on the other side to drop it in uncontested 1-0

32 - Terrible throw-in by Nunn, missed header by Dark Ugh 1-1

Payne moves up to ST to replace Barton and Thomas Nunn slides in to Payne's BWM spot at the half.

64 - Mogwo on for Boakye

Whatevs.

We try to get an AMC prospect in at the deadline but fail.

Good Trains
Richie Harwood
Tom Kemp
Pompo Majara

Bad Trains
Kwasi Frempong
Wesley Nunn
George Jones

$1.7k profit. Board's very pleased.

15th @Hadley United (22nd)
D: Wesley Nunn/Kyle Craig/George Gould/Lewis Dark
M: Jordan Payne/Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye

18 - Summerfield to Powell to Barton inside the box, and the opposing goalkeeper can't quite handle the shot. Slips out of his hands and goes in 1-0

29 - Nice way to not try guys 1-1

39 - Lots of probing passing here that ends the run with Boakye to Merriman in the box, and then a slight kickback to Powell for his 10th goal of the year. He's really come on strong these last few games, Harry has. 2-1

56 - Real alpha and omega move here as Powell makes the stealing tackle and delivers the final pass, a nice jump shot to Merriman for the goal 3-1

59 - Dark is faked out of his shorts and Gould gets nailed for a penalty 3-2

93 - Literally SECONDS BEFORE THE FUCKING GAME ENDS, WE GIVE UP A GOD DAMNED FUCKING CORNER KICK GOAL EVEN THOUGH WE'RE ON FUCKING CONTAIN 3-3

Fuck you, magic comeback AI. Fuck this game, again. FUCK YET ANOTHER GOD DAMNED PISSING AWAY OF POINTS RIGHT AT THE VERY FUCKING END!

I do Contain, my backline is already so fucking deep it's a fucking assline. I fucking sub when my players get tired. WHAT THE FUCK ELSE IS THERE?!

Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #187
Izulde
Head Coach

14th vs Chalfont St Peter (11th)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/Arran Goodchild/Lewis Dark
M: Thomas Nunn/Joseph Boakye/Andy Mogwo

28 - Rare flub by Powell.

45 - Yep, let them score right when the half ends. Fuck you, FM 0-1

I ream the defense and they freak out. Jefford and Lambert on at DL and DC.

65 - Mogwo is knocked

81 - Majara kicks it to the other team like he got paid money 0-2

5 games left in the year and Heringay Borough has already clinched promotion. 84 points and a +40 GD. Yeah we'll never achieve that.

Our morale's been fine up until that game, but that loss just totally destroyed the team.

15th vs Colney Heath (11th)
D: George Gould/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Wesley Nunn
M: Thomas Nunn/Barry Wilfort/Blaine Gregson

1 - Cool. They get a redcard 34 seconds in after Summerfield is elbowed in the face.

3 - Barton banks in a rebound. I'm sure they'll make that up by the end of the game 1-0

15 - Kemp with an interception and longball to Barton, who kicks it to Merriman for the easy goal 2-0

18 - Oh look, magic 25 yard goal. Guess we're getting started early 2-1

40 - Nice cross by Gregson to Barton in the box. I don't even care anymore though. Just want to get this season over with 3-1

77 - Gould intercepts, hitting the long ball to Barton. He waits and then strikes, mamba-like, for his hat trick 4-1

So yeah great win and all that, except...

We have had Tactics Only on all fucking season and WE HAVEN'T IMPROVED A SINGLE DAMNED POINT IN ANY FUCKING AREA!

So sick of that bug. It's completely ruining any chance we have of doing anything, so I quit.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do Contain, my backline is already so fucking deep it's a fucking assline. I fucking sub when my players get tired. WHAT THE FUCK ELSE IS THERE?!

What do your Composure & Determination ratings look like?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #189
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
What do your Composure & Determination ratings look like?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #190
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I just think you need to move up to the bottom available division with the game. That or if you are a glutton for punishment select a No. Ireland or Welsh team, or a Scottish bottom feeder. You won't have to worry about any bugs.

Whenever I get a crap team, I look to the defense first.

Do I have a good goalie, if not can I loan one in?
How are my center defenders, I don't need them to be fast or pacy, I just need them to sit in the back and crush any incoming striker, they need not be fast but smart (so I would think positioning is key).
I just want my wingbacks to move it up to the line and distribute to my mids, from there, I hope I have enough talent on the o to generate a few goals (A nice old but smart striker does wonders, a young loan striker is nice too)

That being said, I suck at the game too.

Once I have a solid D, it's about a strong midfield to hold possession and dish to the O.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #191
Izulde
Head Coach

I may try applying to a Semi-Pro gig if one opens up... either that or ride it out until London Colney saves up enough money to go Semi-Pro. They have $124.4k in the bank right now, with an expectation to drop to $122k at season's end. Still a $12k profit projected on the year.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #192
Izulde
Head Coach

13th @Klingsbury Town Tigers (23rd)
D: Wesley Nunn/Tom Kemp/Kyle Craig/Lewis Dark
M: Thomas Nunn/Will Summerfield/Joseph Boakye

3 - Powell on the corner and Craig heads it in 1-0

11 - Bitchass free kick goals 1-1

40 - Fuck this game 1-2

42 - It's like the results are pre-determined 1-3

43 - Keeper drops the ball and Barton drills it. Look at all the fucks I do not give 2-3

86 - Yeah. I'm resigning after this game. So tired of the bullshit. 4-2

Actually, I won't resign. I'll just go on vacation and see how my assman does.

So what happens?

3-1 W - Hemel Hempstead Town
2-0 W - North Greenford United
1-0 W - St. Margaretsbury

My assman went with an Attacking Strategy the last few games and we finish in 12th place.

...Yeah. Advance to Competent in 2 areas and go all the way back in everything else.

Good Yearly Trains
Harry Powell
Pompo Majara

Bad Yearly Trains
Harry Powell

Kwasi Frempong officially retires.

I get an offer from a Semi-Pro team, but they're in debt, so no.

More offers from semi-pro teams that don't interest me. Obviously all Amateur team sides are rejected.

And then along comes an offer I can't refuse.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #193
Izulde
Head Coach

Goole AFC Vikings
A perennial Level 8 side, they promoted to Level 7 via playoffs last year and promptly finished last in the Northern Premier, so they're dropping back down to Level 8. They're also bleeding money, estimated to lose almost $300k this year, despite spending only $31.4k of their $189k wage budget. It's a bit of a masochistic challenge, but one I can't resist. Interestingly enough, they offered me $14.25k for one season. I kept countering for two years, and they insisted on one, finally raising the pay to $16.5k, so at that point I said F it, and took it.

Their only staff is a Head Physio and a Head Scout. Oh, and me, so the Vikings really ran a bare-bones operation here.

New Signing: Simon King - 35 year old Assman
16 Defending, 12 Fitness, 10 Tactical, 14 Technical, 12 Working With Youngsters, 14 Judge Player Ability, 11 Judge Player Potential. We hit a real homerun with this guy and lock him up until 2021 on a $9,250 a year deal. He gives us 2* coaching 6 different areas.

The previous manager snuck in some re-signings under me that get announced after I'm hired, which is a little irritating. Even more obnoxious - the wage budget is slashed to $86k.

Goalkeepers
Jonno Loft - 3.5/5
Arron Pratt - 2.5/2.5

Defensive Left
Joe Edwards - 3.5/4
Anthony Waterton - 2.5/5
Sam Williamson - 2/2
Kevin Grocott - 1.5/1.5
Dominic Durrant - 1/2.5

Defensive Center
Dominic Durrant - 4/5
Sam Topliss - 2/4
Kevin Grocott - 2/2
Grant Archibald - 1.5/5
Sam Williamson - 1.5/1.5
Ryan Clarke - 1/1

Defensive Right
Stephen Chiocchi - 3.5/3.5
Sam Topliss - 2/4
Kevin Grocott - 2/2
Ryan Clarke - 1/1

Middle Left
Anthony Waterton - 4 silver/2.5

Middle Center
Reece Webb - 2.5/5
Marlon Davidson - 2/4.5
Andy Pugh - 2/5
Liam Richardson - 2/3.5
Ryan Clarke - 0.5/0.5
Grant Archibald - 4 silver/2.5
Billy Kinney - 3.5 silver/1

Middle Right
Andy Pugh - 2.5/5
Ryan Clarke - 0.5/0.5

AMC
Billy Kinney - 3.5 silver/1

AMR
Andy Pugh - 5 silver/3

Striker
Sam Topliss - 2/4
Grant Archibald - 1.5/5
Billy Kinney - 1/4

First thing I do is go through and cut everyone making a salary who isn't at least a 4* potential player by my assman's view. There are a lot of very stupid long-term youth contracts signed by the previous managerand none of them will accept mutual termination so I have to put the whole fucking U18 team on sell at any price or sell and release

I don't like these per appearance and per whatever fees at all. They end up being much more than a flat-rate contract would be.

Andy Pugh signs with Harrogate Railway Athletic. The international young diamonds in the rough we try to sign get rejected after our work permit appeals fail.

Transfer In - ST Matty Hamilton (22) - From Warrington Town
12 Finishing, 12 Aggression, 11 Flair, 11 Influence, 11 Acceleration, 11 Agility, 11 Pace. Signed on a non-contract that pays him $45 per appearance and $45 per goal. Cheap enough for someone who at 2/5 is a starter.

I then go through and release everyone who is making way too much money on a P/A contract, which turns out to be pretty much everyone. I'm starting to see why this club is in such dire financial straits.

Gareth Archibald signs with Garforth Town. Sam Williamson signs with Brigg Town. Liam Murray goes to Prescott Cables. Marlon Davidson goes to Carlton Town.

We're probably not done with the purge and we have just 6 players under any form of agreement with the senior team. That goes down to 5 when Reece Webb signs with Heringey Borough, the team that just destroyed the league I was just in.

Transfer In - DLC Brian Haskins (21) - From Brigg Town
Absolutely dominant at this level and has just one physical attribute lower than a 9 (7 in Acceleration). On a P/A deal of $150 a pop, which is more than I wanted to spend (at 30 appearances that's $4,500 a year), but he's too quality to pass up.

Despite only having 7 players in total under contract, the board still wants a mid-table finish. Those fucking U18 kids who got a long contract still won't accept a mutual termination.

Transfer In - DC/Director of Football Operations Adam Docker (32)
Our level of talent has degraded to the point such that Brian Haskins is now a 5* player and this Pakistani with the very English name is 2.5*. He'll get paid $90 P/A and insisted on the Director of Football title. Whatever, man. You're not going to have shit to do. ...Or maybe you will. He's a slightly better scout than my Chief Scout, so I'll let him handle the scouting duties.

Transfer In - MC/AMC/ST David Parsons (20)
USA! USA! USA! $100 for each goal and $100 P/A. 11 Aggression, 11 Composure, 10 Determination, 12 Flair, 11 Agility, 10 Balance, 10 Pace. He'll start in the midfield by default.

Transfer In - DLR Danny Brown (20)
Cayman Islander who kept insisting on a $120 P/A contract. I can't get anyone to sign a long-term deal with me. Even one of the internationals I keep trying to sign is now downgraded from guaranteed contract to a P/A one. 10 Flair, 10 Agility, 11 Natural Fitness, 10 Pace, 10 Stamina. Our starter on the right side.

Between these signings and the U-18 callups, we have enough players to start some formations and not others.

We can only field 10 of 11 starters for a 4-4-2, for example. Obviously we'll need to/try to sign more players, but I figured I would post the guys I've signed so y'all could A: Laugh at how awful this team is, and B: See if you had any suggestions for how I might make something of this hodgepodge of cheap-ass mercaneries.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #194
Izulde
Head Coach

Transfer In - DR Grant Cook (21)
10 Technique, 12 Determination, 11 Acceleration, 11 Natural Fitness. $80 P/A Backup.

Transfer In - DR Taylor Hall (20)
10 Technique, 10 Aggression, 19 Bravery, 14 Determination, 12 Influence, 10 Workrate, 13 Acceleration, 11 Agility, 12 Natural Fitness, 12 Pace, 11 Stamina $100 P/A Key Player.

Transfer In - ST Leeroy Chinthengah (25)
Very pricey striker by our new cheap standards with a $220 P/A and $35 goal bonus. But 10 Dribbling, 11 Finishing, 13 First Touch, 10 Heading, 10 Aggression, 11 Composure, 16 Flair, 13 Teamwork, 10 Workrate, 11 Natural Fitness... yeah, he's worth every penny of that Key Player contract.

Transfer In - MC/ST Brian Denton (20)
Our first multi-year signing, for $3.3k a year through 2021 with no bonuses of any kind. A little worrying that he stunk up the lower level, but 17 Bravery, 12 Determination, 18 Flair, 11 Influence, 10 Workrate, 12 Jumping, 10 Natural Fitness. 5 silver/5*.

Anthony Waterton signs with Brigg Town so yeah...

Transfer In - MC/DMC Jimmy Wilcox (20)
10 First Touch, 13 Technique, 14 Determination, 11 Teamwork, 12 Workrate, 10 Balance, 11 Natural Fitness. Either 100 or 110 P/A I forget which.

Transfer In - MC/DMC Sonny Egginton (21)
10 First Touch, 16 Technique, 13 Aggression, 13 Bravery, 17 Determination, 13 Influence, 11 Workrate, 12 Acceleration, 11 Natural Fitness, 10 Stamina. Either 100 or 110 P/A I forget which.

We're going to try that starting out. For some reason, I never seem to have any luck finding wide midfielders

Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #195
Izulde
Head Coach

Bosnia-Herzegovnia and Serbia join the EU.

Billy Penney signs with Osset Albion.

Transfer In - DL Mick Deakin (20)
10 Tackling, 11 Aggression, 14 Bravery, 10 Determination, 11 Influence, 7 or higher in every single physical rating. $160 P/A

Transfer In - GK Jimmy Barlow (20)
10 Command of Area, 15 Eccentricity, 10 Reflexes, 13 Aggression, 10 Determination, 10 Balance, 16 Jumping, 12 Natural Fitness. $160 P/A

Transfer In - MC/AMC Frank Futcher (20)
11 Crossing, 10 Free Kick, 11 Passing, 10 Technique, 10 Determination, 10 Flair, 11 Off Ball, 11 Balance, 14 Natural Fitness, 11 Stamina. $30 P/G, $150 P/A

Transfer In - DM/MC Gareth Muldowney (20)
12 First Touch, 10 Heading, 10 Passing, 10 PK, 14 Aggression, 13 Determination, 11 Teamwork, 12 Balance, 11 Natural Fitness. I forget what P/G, but $200 P/A

Friendly @Arnold Town
GK: Jonno Loft
D: Mick Deakin/Brian Haskins/Adam Docker/Taylor Hall
DM: Gareth Muldowney
M: David Parson/Brian Denton
AM: Frank Futcher
S: Matty Hamilton/Leeroy Chinthengah

12 - One long ball by the opponents on a break and they score 0-1

18 - Our goalie sucks dick 0-2

51 - Docker's knocked out. Forget subs in a friendly

63 - Chinthengah gets the ball outside the box, then turns around and lays it in for Futcher for the goal 1-2

66 - Futcher to Chinthengah, who doesn't like his options and sends it to Denton. There's wide open space in the middle just outside the box, and Futcher takes advantage of the small cross to equalize 2-2

Massive second half improvement, but we lose Adam Docker for 3-4 months, our first really serious injury of this winding universe.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't like these per appearance and per whatever fees at all. They end up being much more than a flat-rate contract would be.

Learn to live would be my advice. I hated 'em myself but they're good for staying waaaaay under my wage budget (and that increases my job security). Playing the L9 U.S. mod, those players were over half my team for the first couple of years, and in season 5 I still only have 13 players on "normal" contracts vs 12 on p/a deals. And about 40 or so on those $40/wk - $70/wk deals.

Now that's in FM14 so I'm not sure how much has changed there vs 13 but in the lowest levels they seem to be a fact of life now. Now I've also basically been printing money for 3 seasons (good cup performances & a shit ton of cash from finishing 3rd-8th-3rd-1st in four season ... an area the mod way overpowered IMO) but best I can tell whether you hate the p/a deals or learn to live with them, that's how the players are wired. The only way I've found to finally kind of work around it -- and even then only sometimes -- is to overpay by something like weekly is a bit more than what they wanted p/a and then a p/a bonus of about half that amount (too low & they'll often cut off negotiations & abandon you)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #197
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Bosnia-Herzegovnia and Serbia join the EU.
This happens in the game? Wow...
Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #198
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Learn to live would be my advice. I hated 'em myself but they're good for staying waaaaay under my wage budget (and that increases my job security). Playing the L9 U.S. mod, those players were over half my team for the first couple of years, and in season 5 I still only have 13 players on "normal" contracts vs 12 on p/a deals. And about 40 or so on those $40/wk - $70/wk deals.

Now that's in FM14 so I'm not sure how much has changed there vs 13 but in the lowest levels they seem to be a fact of life now. Now I've also basically been printing money for 3 seasons (good cup performances & a shit ton of cash from finishing 3rd-8th-3rd-1st in four season ... an area the mod way overpowered IMO) but best I can tell whether you hate the p/a deals or learn to live with them, that's how the players are wired. The only way I've found to finally kind of work around it -- and even then only sometimes -- is to overpay by something like weekly is a bit more than what they wanted p/a and then a p/a bonus of about half that amount (too low & they'll often cut off negotiations & abandon you)

Yeah I'm using roughly $11k of my $83k wage budget, and most of that is tied up in the young idiots the previous regime paid the big bucks to. And at least my most expensive P/A is $220 whereas the old management had quite a few players making $300-400 P/A.

Quote:
This happens in the game? Wow...

Yep. Pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #199
Izulde
Head Coach

Friendly @Lincoln Moorlands Railway
GK: Jimmy Barlow
D: Danny Brown/Brian Haskins/Gareth Anderson/Grant Cook
DM: Gareth Muldowney
M: Jimmy Wilcox/Sonny Egginton
AM: Frank Futcher
S: Simon Stead/Leeroy Chinthengah

Yeah we need to get more bodies in here. We tried getting a few more U20/U21/U23 internationals from various places, but none of them want to talk to us.

36 - And this is a team we're supposed to beat by a basketball scoreline 0-1

42 - Beautiful pass by Futcher, but Stead shanks the open shot.

46 - Just before half, Chinthengah gets absolutely wrecked on a sliding tackle, but Stead redeems himself by pushing past the defense and shooting the ball in 1-1

47 - Chinthengah makes the defense look silly on the left side of the box, and I'm actually chuckling at the flailing. Ball crosses to Stead, who kicks it right at the keeper. Goalie can't hang on and Stead puts in his own rebound 2-1

Sure Simon Stead got 8.9 with 2 goals, but it was Brian Haskins with a 9.0 who won the match. 8.1 for Gareth Anderson, too. Would have/should have won by a bigger margin, but this is a new system and a new group of guys, so it's going to take time.

Speaking of, time to hit the shower and head off to orientation.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #200
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Leeroy Chinthengah

Hey, a familiar face. He was on my Blyth squad for at least 2-3 seasons.