Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #101
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
From Adam Schefter:

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in “skill” guarantee to only “injury” guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

Apparently the Patriot Way may involve brainwashing. $24 million more in FA? Yes Please.

It isn't extra cap room so I'm not sure that extra cash really matters that much for the patriots. In fact he got a million more in salary so he will count more against the cap with this "deal".
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I still think he is a decent coach and that it may be hard to find someone better.

Unless, you know, time management is a factor.

Quote:
I am puzzled how Dimitroff survived with the lousy roster they have.

Blank couldn't get a discount from the search firm for the additional opening.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
It isn't extra cap room so I'm not sure that extra cash really matters that much for the patriots. In fact he got a million more in salary so he will count more against the cap with this "deal".

He's retiring after next year so it doesn't ultimately matter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #104
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
From Adam Schefter:

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in “skill” guarantee to only “injury” guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

Apparently the Patriot Way may involve brainwashing. $24 million more in FA? Yes Please.

Question: Did changing the structure of Brady's guarantee from fully guaranteed to injury-only free up any cap space now?Answer:No It only lowers the dead money hit if and when a healthy Tom Brady is released. In fact, this restructure increases Brady's cap numbers by $1 million each year. Source: Attempting to make sense of the Tom Brady restructure that occurred on December 29th

Last edited by Galaril : 12-29-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #105
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Nahhhh
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Please explain how he's going to play for 1/3 and 1/2 of competent QB money then? Why would he take 40% as much as Peyton gets? He might play in 2016 but it's not going to be for pocket change.

Edited for clarification

Last edited by stevew : 12-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #107
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I buy it. If next season is his last one, why not kill your cash, let your team pick up some great free agents for that one last shot t a Ring, and then head off. It makes sense.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #108
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think Brady did help us, and certainly put himself at risk/gave us flexibility next offseason on the non-zero chance he has a performance decline/Garroppolo looks good enough in practice, but there was no way we were cutting him this week and we paid him an extra million - press releases implying he left $24m on the table are just great PR work, and anything implying it gives us $24m more to spend is laughably wrong.

Quote:
When the end comes it'll come faster than anyone thought, but Brady (and Manning) will never commit to a retirement ahead of time. Yeah he has what any one of us would think is a great life but he's also said that competing at football is his favorite thing in the world - he's not one of the rare few (Jim Brown, Robert Smith) who will retire early to preserve his body, especially with how protected QB's are these days. If he wants to play QB in 2016, he'll be playing QB in 2016... although this deal does slightly raise the chance that isn't in New England.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #109
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Please explain how he's going to play for 1/3 and 1/2 of competent QB money then? Why would he take 40% as much as Peyton gets? He might play in 2016 but it's not going to be for pocket change.

Edited for clarification
He's still around $13-$14m per year then, just as he is now. There was just a weird clause that would have guaranteed his $24m of base salaries in 2015/16/17 that he gave up for I guess $1m more per year in an up front bonus. Come on man, this is FOFC - it should be the one place on the internet everybody understands the difference between guaranteed dollars, base salary dollars and reported dollars!

Edit - That $13/$14m/y is cheaper than he could get on the open market by probably $7-$8m, so he is giving something up for sure, but that decision didn't happen today.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize he was already at the point where he was playing 2015 for approximately 8m in actual cash salary. It sure seemed like the previous 30m signing bonus was just an acceleration of what he would make only for 13/14. So I guess at this point even with a cap figure of 14m he is taking significantly less money which is pretty shocking tbh.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #111
JPhillips
General Manager

I'd love to see the fallout from Belichick cutting or trading him before the end of the deal.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #112
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, I kind of understand what they did more now: Contract tweak will benefit both Tom Brady and Patriots - Sports - The Boston Globe

Bottom line is that Brady has plenty of money (even before figuring in his wife's income) and knows that another Super Bowl or two only increases his earning power via endorsements. Even without the "help the team" angle, it's a smart financial move.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #113
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think Brady did help us, and certainly put himself at risk/gave us flexibility next offseason on the non-zero chance he has a performance decline/Garroppolo looks good enough in practice, but there was no way we were cutting him this week and we paid him an extra million - press releases implying he left $24m on the table are just great PR work, and anything implying it gives us $24m more to spend is laughably wrong.

When the end comes it'll come faster than anyone thought, but Brady (and Manning) will never commit to a retirement ahead of time. Yeah he has what any one of us would think is a great life but he's also said that competing at football is his favorite thing in the world - he's not one of the rare few (Jim Brown, Robert Smith) who will retire early to preserve his body, especially with how protected QB's are these days. If he wants to play QB in 2016, he'll be playing QB in 2016... although this deal does slightly raise the chance that isn't in New England.

You mean Brady (and Manning) will suddenly announce they are retired and not go on a league-wide tour to get adulation and gifts from everyone?!

I agree with you and flere's point, the window is still wide open now but will close soon.

JPhillips, of course you would.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #114
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You mean Brady (and Manning) will suddenly announce they are retired and not go on a league-wide tour to get adulation and gifts from everyone?!

In the NFL, if your starting quarterback tries to go on a year-long tuxedo tour while producing a .617 OPS while playing shortstop with the range of a lightly-deceased three-toed sloth, the fans are going to start screaming for Jimmy Garoppolo at every turn.

Baseball is a funny game.

Quarterbacks generally play well until they don't. And then they shouldn't. Brady is exactly the age when you expect the sudden dropoff. Manning is past that age. Both could suck tomorrow, but they're fine today. I was worried about Brady early this season - it didn't look good. And then he came out in the Cincinnati game looking like the old Brady and the Patriots have been deadly since.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #115
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jim, you get it.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #116
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Story coming out of Chicago.

Back during the last coaching search, when Marinelli was still around. Wanting to keep him, they had involved Marinelli in the interviewing process, and wanted his opinion. After the interviews, he was asked to rank Arians, Bevell, and Trestman. Rod put Arians as his runaway #1, followed by Bevell, and had Trestman as a distant third.

Rod quit when they went with Trestman,
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #117
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My wish would be for Brady get his 4th and then retire, and not go out like Montana which I think tarnished his legacy a bit. I try hard not to think of the embarrassing train wreck that was Favre last few years but I don't put him anywhere the likes of Brady/Manning/Montana/Elway/etc.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #118
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm not sure Montana tarnished his legacy. While we'd all love our star QBs (especially for a team one supports) to retire at that team at the top of their game, I see no disgrace in moving on to another team that could benefit from their diminished but still good skills (what Jim said notwithstanding).

Which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from what Favre did.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Back during the last coaching search, when Marinelli was still around. Wanting to keep him, they had involved Marinelli in the interviewing process, and wanted his opinion. After the interviews, he was asked to rank Arians, Bevell, and Trestman. Rod put Arians as his runaway #1, followed by Bevell, and had Trestman as a distant third.

The Arizona Cardinals thank the Chicago Bears organization for their stupidity
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #120
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd love to see the fallout from Belichick cutting or trading him before the end of the deal.

The announcement will be mutual, that much is guaranteed. Belichick will not hesitate to start America's next supermodel if Brady fades though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #121
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My wish would be for Brady get his 4th and then retire, and not go out like Montana which I think tarnished his legacy a bit. I try hard not to think of the embarrassing train wreck that was Favre last few years but I don't put him anywhere the likes of Brady/Manning/Montana/Elway/etc.
Favre was an embarrassing train wreck for off field reasons, but still put up a 33-7 TD/INT as a 40 year old. I don't remember much of Montana playing, but he made the playoffs both seasons with the Chiefs.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #122
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:

These are the kinds of things that give me no confidence that this ownership will do anything right.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #123
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

They'll get another shot at Bevell if they want him.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #124
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Favre was an embarrassing train wreck for off field reasons, but still put up a 33-7 TD/INT as a 40 year old. I don't remember much of Montana playing, but he made the playoffs both seasons with the Chiefs.

Yes, agreed, both were effective despite loss of prestige of going out on top with the teams that made them great. John Elway is an interesting case where he was a shell of his former self at the end but he hung around long enough to win the big one ( while riding on the back of Terrell Davis) and converted himself from the Fran Tarkenton/Dan Marino tier to the top elite tier of NFL lore.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-30-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #125
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Jaguars fire offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch | ProFootballTalk

Jedd Fisch to the unemployment line.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Yes, agreed, both were effective despite loss of prestige of going out on top with the teams that made them great.

Though, with Montana, that may have actually cemented his legacy even more as he was able to show that he could do it without the 49ers machine. Lots of people were impressed by what Montana was able to do with Kansas City.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #127
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I recall Montana and Marino had an amazing wild card game where each team scored TDs on every possession in the first half. I want to say Marcus Allen was on the Montana Chiefs as well and they lost in the playoffs when both turned the ball over.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #128
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know if it is the right way to do things but I appreciate Gus Bradley discussing this firing. These quotes are from an ESPN article.

Quote:
Bradley felt Fisch was overloading Bortles with too much of the offense at one time and would have instead preferred an approach in which Bortles was given measured doses and had the package expanded only as he grew comfortable with the offense.

"There is a lot of truth now to philosophical differences as far as we want to put on Blake's plate to do a lot," Bradley said. "Let's throw a lot at him and then let's see how much he'll be able to carry that over to next year. Or, no, let's not put a lot on his plate and let him grow through this. Which way is best? I don't know. I know the way we kind of want to do it.

"I just think we want to help him get better every day and not overwhelmed. I think you know my philosophy enough of be careful of how much you put on a guy to create a lot of anxiety that might keep him from being his best."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #129
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

One of the biggest reasons why rookie QB's fail is having multiple OC's at the beginning of their career. Sorry Bortles, we hardly knew ye.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #130
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
One of the biggest reasons why rookie QB's fail is having multiple OC's at the beginning of their career. Sorry Bortles, we hardly knew ye.

Yep. It definitely stunted Alex Smith's growth. If the Jags struggle again next season, then the prospect exists the whole coaching staff gets axed and Bortles has three different coordinators in three seasons.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #131
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Rex Ryan to interview for 49ers head coach job

Does this mean that after Ryan gets hired he's going Sanchize the franchise?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #132
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yep. It definitely stunted Alex Smith's growth. If the Jags struggle again next season, then the prospect exists the whole coaching staff gets axed and Bortles has three different coordinators in three seasons.

Clearly Smith needed an OC who wouldn't make him throw TD's to WR's. Good thing he finally found one. Still can't believe that stat was possible in today's NFL.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #133
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

It means Kapernick will be even worse than he is now when Rex is done with him.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #134
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears already dedicated to fucking this up, by considering Head Coaches before they hire a damn GM. Goody.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #135
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Bears already dedicated to fucking this up, by considering Head Coaches before they hire a damn GM. Goody.

But they have a committee with Denny Green and John Madden helping!
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #136
Logan
Head Coach

I know the Trestman hire didn't work out, and that Marinelli story makes you realize they had some other good options...but I still give Chicago credit for trying to think outside the box. Watching some of these flame-outs get recycled is always annoying.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #137
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

The Bucs hired Lovie Smith before hiring a GM, look how it's worked out for us...oh wait........
Old 12-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #138
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

So they didn't like Harbaugh but Ryan seems okay?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #139
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So they didn't like Harbaugh but Ryan seems okay?

I'm not fully aware of the situation with the 49'ers and Harbaugh, but it sounds to me like Harbaugh got too big for his britches, failed to work well with ownership and the like and got the boot. I would surmise it had nothing to do with the quality of his work. I'm assuming also that Rex Ryan is just making his rounds...seemed like a popular coach that was liked by all, so ya never know what really motivates some of these owners.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #140
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm not fully aware of the situation with the 49'ers and Harbaugh, but it sounds to me like Harbaugh got too big for his britches, failed to work well with ownership and the like and got the boot. I would surmise it had nothing to do with the quality of his work. I'm assuming also that Rex Ryan is just making his rounds...seemed like a popular coach that was liked by all, so ya never know what really motivates some of these owners.

I'm not fully aware of all that what on there either, but I don't really get how they let Harbaugh walk. He immediately made them a good, relevant team again after 10 years of crap. To just show him the door after all of that success is a bit mind boggling.

Oh well, it worked out well for the good guys!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #141
Dutch
"Dutch"

It's not hard to imagine the Wolverines will be in great shape come 2016 or 2017 because of this.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #142
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I'm not fully aware of all that what on there either, but I don't really get how they let Harbaugh walk. He immediately made them a good, relevant team again after 10 years of crap. To just show him the door after all of that success is a bit mind boggling.

Oh well, it worked out well for the good guys!

York and Baalke come across as a couple of frat boys who want to be "respected" above all else. Use to run into that type all the time when working in banking. Hire in college graduates to be managers and most were more wrapped up in how people saw them than actually getting the job done.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #143
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't know why anyone would want to work in the NFC West right now - too hard!
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #144
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to work in the NFC West right now - too hard!

If the Cards and Rams can figure out their QB situations, the Niners may be in the basement for a long, long time.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #145
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wait.....what?

Doug Marrone opts out of contract with Buffalo Bills - ESPN

Marrone just quit as HC pf Bills?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #146
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Wait.....what?

Doug Marrone opts out of contract with Buffalo Bills - ESPN

Marrone just quit as HC pf Bills?

Maybe he's headed to the Jets, Raiders, Falcons or 49ers?

Discord a brewin' in Philly?

Gamble firing could be sign of front-office discord in Philly | ProFootballTalk
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #147
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I wonder if Schwartz now gets a second shot as an NFL head coach?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #148
bhlloy
Coordinator

Going to look like a bad move if he can't get a job but that cupboard is pretty bare -Manuel looks like a horrible bust and you have no first round pick this year. Guess he figures that there's no way in hell he's going 9-7 next year and he might as well try to find a better job while his stock is reasonably high
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #149
henry296
College Starter

Also he gets paid 4 million even if he gets another job.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I figured Marrone would just go to the Jets cause, well, Jets. And it looks like a strong possibility.