Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
2015 MLB thread

Opening Day (well, except for one Sunday game between the Cubs and Cardinals) is a week away!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Can't wait!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Buccaneer
Head Coach

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

leaving work at 1 for 3 hours of pregaming!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'll put my Brew Crew right in that 81 win range again. Cardinals and Pirates are still the class of the Central, and I'll probably give a slight edge to the Pirates. Reds and Brewers I could see going either way. Cubs are getting there.

I'm not all that confident in Milwaukee's long term prospects. Weak farm system at the top, though they've improved the lower levels last year and new scouting director Ray Montgomery seems to be pretty well regarded. Carlos Gomez is probably gone after 2016 so he could be a name that other teams might find interesting. Kyle Lohse could be a midseason trade target as a steady rotation piece.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Giants are in a weird place. They lost a lot of pop, but the projection systems all put them at very nice OPS levels despite the lack of HR power. They're not very deep, but they have a plethora of #4 starters. If Cain returns to form (coming off injury) and Bumgarner stays awesome, there's no reason they aren't a 90-ish win team making it as a wild card.

Then again it wouldn't surprise me if the season goes to crap in a hurry and they struggle to reach 80 wins.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Chicago Cubs will win the World Series this year after sweeping Miami.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-30-2015 at 06:58 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Giants are in a weird place. They lost a lot of pop, but the projection systems all put them at very nice OPS levels despite the lack of HR power. They're not very deep, but they have a plethora of #4 starters. If Cain returns to form (coming off injury) and Bumgarner stays awesome, there's no reason they aren't a 90-ish win team making it as a wild card.

Then again it wouldn't surprise me if the season goes to crap in a hurry and they struggle to reach 80 wins.

Might be a little biased but I see the Pads at 88 wins making the wild card (along with Pittsburgh). Would love to see both the Pads and Giants make it instead of the $@#!% Dodgers but don't think that's going to happen.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

NATS will win 163 in the regular season then the world series in 3. I will pee on some dude in the bathroom and realize the next day it was Subby.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The Chicago Cubs will win the World Series this year after sweeping Miami.

And then you woke up... that must have been a nice dream for you.

Good luck to everyone's team this year (especially the Cardinals)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm still in denial about Yu Darvish
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Might be a little biased but I see the Pads at 88 wins making the wild card (along with Pittsburgh). Would love to see both the Pads and Giants make it instead of the $@#!% Dodgers but don't think that's going to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me. Dodgers have to win the division, there's just too much talent there. After that...who knows. As for playoffs:

1. Nats
2. Cardinals
3. Dodgers
Wildcard hopefuls:
Pirates
Padres
Giants
Cubs?

I think it's the Pirates and Giants again, but wouldn't be surprised if the Padres make it happen. They got a hell of a lot better this offseason.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

the NL wildcard is going to be fun. Lots old guard vs new: Giants vs Pads, Pitt/reds vs cubs, mets/marlins vs braves.

Giants need a strong left fielder. Every winning year they've had a good/power left fielder for only a couple months, but seems that's what they needed most.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
the NL wildcard is going to be fun. Lots old guard vs new: Giants vs Pads, Pitt/reds vs cubs, mets/marlins vs braves.

Giants need a strong left fielder. Every winning year they've had a good/power left fielder for only a couple months, but seems that's what they needed most.

Reds will finish last.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Wouldn't surprise me. Dodgers have to win the division, there's just too much talent there. After that...who knows. As for playoffs:

1. Nats
2. Cardinals
3. Dodgers
Wildcard hopefuls:
Pirates
Padres
Giants
Cubs?

I think it's the Pirates and Giants again, but wouldn't be surprised if the Padres make it happen. They got a hell of a lot better this offseason.

If the mets offense holds to form the way they've in spring training with their pitching and a lot of easy wins to be had in division they should compete for a wild card. Nats will win division but no one wants the mets in a short series with their pitching.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interested to see how the Royals division pans out. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath. There's not a bad team in the division. Maybe Minnesota, but even they always seem to find players no one's heard of and turn them into All-Stars.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'll put my Brew Crew right in that 81 win range again. Cardinals and Pirates are still the class of the Central, and I'll probably give a slight edge to the Pirates. Reds and Brewers I could see going either way. Cubs are getting there.

I'm not all that confident in Milwaukee's long term prospects. Weak farm system at the top, though they've improved the lower levels last year and new scouting director Ray Montgomery seems to be pretty well regarded. Carlos Gomez is probably gone after 2016 so he could be a name that other teams might find interesting. Kyle Lohse could be a midseason trade target as a steady rotation piece.

You think he will go back to Minnesota or go to a big market team? I thought he was kind of the man in Milwaukee (even bigger than Braun). He seems like he would like that role better for less money than 2nd or 3rd fiddle on another team. I am a big fan of his (admittedly at least partially fantasy related but I also respect him as superstar on one of the Card's rivals) but think his antics might become an issue with the media in a larger market like NY or LA.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You think he will go back to Minnesota or go to a big market team? I thought he was kind of the man in Milwaukee (even bigger than Braun). He seems like he would like that role better for less money than 2nd or 3rd fiddle on another team. I am a big fan of his (admittedly at least partially fantasy related but I also respect him as superstar on one of the Card's rivals) but think his antics might become an issue with the media in a larger market like NY or LA.

Carlos Gomez is a Scott Boras client so my inclination would be that he'd go to the highest bidder. Then again, Gomez did sign an extension before he hit free agency which goes against Boras' clients SOP. But the circumstances behind the extension were different too, as Gomez hadn't truly broken out yet.

The fan favorite/face of the franchise in Milwaukee right now is Jonathan Lucroy. Gomez is popular but there's something about gritty white catchers that endear themselves to the fan base. (edit: Not to take anything away from Lucroy, he is a great player)

Honestly, I think Gomez has put himself into $20+ million year territory salary wise. I'm just not sure the Brewers would get themselves into that territory of the bidding.

Last edited by lungs : 03-31-2015 at 09:11 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm still in denial about Yu Darvish

Yeah, that sucked.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am excited for the Angels, but concerned the offense will take a step back, especially with Hamilton being out/suspended. Plus, they will have to deal with easing Garrett Richards back into the rotation and the learning curve of whatever kids they roll with at the back end (Heaney, Tropeano).

All that said, I am hopeful that they can come close to reproducing what they did last year (and doing better in the postseason, ideally).

The AL West looks tough, but not as tough as it was last year. Everyone regressing to the mean, except the M's. M's are probably the main contender with the Angels, and despite the experienced (read: paid) talent shipped out of Oakland, the A's will still kinda hang around, I'll bet, and probably end up slightly over .500, cuz that's what they do.

Rangers already hit with injuries, but I suspect they will still be better than last year by quite a bit because they still have a very good offense and a deep system.

The Astros are also improving; they really showed that last year as they brought on some of their young future stars like Springer, Singleton and Villar. Those guys will all be one year better, with more talent on the way.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #21
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interested to see how the Royals division pans out. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath. There's not a bad team in the division. Maybe Minnesota, but even they always seem to find players no one's heard of and turn them into All-Stars.

I can see that entire division being between 78-88 wins. It's going to be insanely fun / nervewracking.

I think Cleveland might have the best chance at winning the division. The Wild Card (either spot) will be a battle between KC and Chicago.

Of course, we all know Kendrys Morales is going to hit 50 HR with 200 RBI and lead the Royals to the promised land.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
Grover
Pro Starter

I do live in New England, thus I am subjected to pretty much everything Red Sox.

While not a fan of the team, it's crushing to see that Christian Vazquez could miss the entire season and need Tommy John. Unbelievably good defensive catcher, cannon arm. Might be limited offensively, but the coaches and pitching staff raved about his ability to handle the staff, especially at such a young age.

I guess this injury would absolutely rule out Swihart going to the Phillies in any potential Hamels deal.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
The Jackal
Coordinator

I am skeptical that the Orioles are going to make the playoffs again this year. Banking on the health of Wieters and Machado and the resurgence of Chris Davis seems risky. If Gausman takes the next step and the bullpen is really good again though, they still have power.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #24
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I am skeptical that the Orioles are going to make the playoffs again this year. Banking on the health of Wieters and Machado and the resurgence of Chris Davis seems risky. If Gausman takes the next step and the bullpen is really good again though, they still have power.

You have the best team in the division, even with the loss of those bats.

Boston will score a ton of runs, but there will be a bunch of 8-7, 9-8 games for them that will go either way. Tampa is starting to look like sad old Tampa. Toronto and the Yankees could be good.

The AL East has so many questions right now.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Whoops

Ervin Santana of Minnesota Twins suspended for 80 games

That'll cost him about $7 million.

Last edited by molson : 04-03-2015 at 04:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2nd guy busted for that Roid variant in the last 2 days. Other was some latino pitcher on the Braves.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad I didn't buy him up in my auction draft.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
frnk55
High School Varsity

Nice start for the Twins. And of course Santana says he has no idea how this happened. Fucking idiot.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Josh Hamilton basically gets away with admitting he had a relapse: Arbitrator rules that MLB cannot punish Los Angeles Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Disappointed to see how well Heaney pitched against the Dodgers last night. I has hoped he would have factored in the Dodgers rotation
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Josh Hamilton basically gets away with admitting he had a relapse: Arbitrator rules that MLB cannot punish Los Angeles Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton

Kinda funny that the Angels were pissed cause he is owed 83M over the next 3 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #32
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Kinda funny that the Angels were pissed cause he is owed 83M over the next 3 years.

Their own fault. They knew there were issues there and signed him to a monster deal anyway.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Their own fault. They knew there were issues there and signed him to a monster deal anyway.

Moreno. He more or less signed Hamilton over DiPoto's objection.

More or less did the same thing with Pujols.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My picks:

Wash
StL
LA
WC: Pitt, SD

Bos
Clev
Sea
WC: Det, LAA

WS: LA over Sea
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #35
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

2018 all star game at nats park...not sure i really care.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #36
SackAttack
Head Coach

Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton, Jr. to the Padres in a six-player deal.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #37
kingfc22
Head Coach

Pads keep adding. Braves keep subtracting.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #38
Easy Mac

They didn't want the Phil's running away with the division.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #39
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would be anxious to hear the inside scoop on this - strange to come just before the opener.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton, Jr. to the Padres in a six-player deal.

2 good prospects and a draft pick. I'm really surprised someone took BJ Upton off their hands. I hope for the Padres sake the Braves sent some money over as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Someone on the Pads board said this, "All I know is the Pads just got one of the best closers in baseball and held onto Renfroe and Hedges". That's pretty good. Also it looks like Braves will unload Quentin to the AL.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #42
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

yay opening day

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #43
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Real opening day has arrived. (have to show some excitement for the season before the Phillies are eliminated by the end of the week...)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #44
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Who strangled London Lo?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Up and coming recording artist? She was awful. That was Rosanne Barr level awful (at least there was no illusion that she was a singer going in).
Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #46
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Maybe she hasn't figured out how to use her autotune device when singing live?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #47
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Maybe I am crazy, but that deal looks like shit for the Braves.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #48
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So much for giving a shit about baseball this season. I hate rebuilding/tanking.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #49
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Call the fucking strike zone the same way for both teams, blue!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #50
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I HATE that strike zone box. With how clear that box is it makes it look like the rest is intentionally less clear. Why isn't the entire screen as clear as that little box?