Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Which seems to be weird since China and Pakistan are allies. Probably the Indians around the audience who are pissy .

Since then I've read a couple of accounts mentioning the warm reception that Pakistan got, so I guess we just misinterpreted the crowd response.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the crowd was just chanting "Moooooooooslims!" or "Impeach Mooooosharraf"?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Watching Live on NBCOlympics.com Looks like USA will have 3 of the 8 quarter finalists in Women's Sabre

(Sada Jacobsen, Mariel Zagunis and Becca Ward). Odds are good that USA will get an early medal, even gold? (Zagunis won the gold at the 2004 Olympics and is ranked #1 in the world, Ward won the 2006 Worlds Title, and Jacobsen won the bronze in 2004 at Athens),
Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

I watched Jacobson's and Ward's matches. Jacobson's was close, but Ward destroyed her opponent. I have no idea how good their opponents really were, though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Watching Live on NBCOlympics.com Looks like USA will have 3 of the 8 quarter finalists in Women's Sabre

(Sada Jacobsen, Mariel Zagunis and Becca Ward). Odds are good that USA will get an early medal, even gold? (Zagunis won the gold at the 2004 Olympics and is ranked #1 in the world, Ward won the 2006 Worlds Title, and Jacobsen won the bronze in 2004 at Athens),

(Each "discipline" of fencing is a one day, 64 fencer elimination tournament, matches are to 15 touches. Sabre's a bit wierd, as it's not ALWAYS first to touch their opponent, there's rules that once the opponent's launched an attack, you have to deal with it (parrying, or moving out of range) before launching your own.)
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #56
sabotai
General Manager

And unlike epee or foil, you can use most of the sword (tip, front blade, top 1/3rd of the back) to score a point. In epee and foil, only the tip counts.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Love the four in 1 video, have all four tuned to matches
Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #58
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Zagunis is winning handily, but there's an injury on one of the other mats...
Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #59
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Zagunis wins, 15-9 against the #3 fence in the world Yingying Bao. Got two shots at a medal there.

Edit:Jacobson wins 15-11, she's in the semifinals as well.

Ward wins on a sudden death touch that takes the judge a minute to figure out and determine who had priority on the attack, 15-14.

3 USAers out of 4 in the semi finals. Great way to start the Olympics

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-09-2008 at 12:35 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Semifinals will pit

Sada Jacobson (USA)
Sofiya Velikaya (RUS)

Zagunis (USA)
Ward (USA)

Semi-Finals, Bronze and Gold-Medal Matches will not start until 7 AM Eastern

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-09-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

I tried watching all 4 like you said, but those videos were small. I couldn't make out the scores. I edned up watching most of the Jacobson match and the end of the Ward match.

Looks like there is a long break until the Semis (meaning I'll be asleep when they start). I wonder if there is a way to go to the video of the matches (if they'll save them) before knowing the results. (Looks like they might show it on USA at some point tomorrow morning. TiVo to the rescue again!)

Last edited by sabotai : 08-09-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #62
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
the opening ceremonies have been rather amazing.

Spectacular. I just bought my first HDTV, and the opening ceremony was simply amazing to watch.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #63
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I like what I am hearing. The past 8 years this board has been very tough on the Olympics. When it gets going, it seems people get pulled in and become advocates. It seems it's one of those things that is more fun to be a part of than just thinking about it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #64
sabotai
General Manager

Female Sabre Semi and Finals will be on MSNBC at 3pm
Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

(BEIJING) Beijing authorities say a Chinese man attacked two American tourists on the opening day of the Olympic Games, killing one of them before committing suicide.

The Beijing Municipal Government says the attack happened in downtown Beijing at noon on Saturday. Officials issued a statement saying the 47-year-old attacker, Tang Yongming, also injured an American woman and her Chinese tourist guide.

The attack took place on the second level of the Drum Tower, a popular tourist attraction in north Beijing. Tang threw himself from the ancient monument used to tell time centuries ago.
--------------------------------------

Wonderful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #66
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Question: It might be a bit late now, but what's the stance on "spoiling events"

For example, the semis and the finals of the Sabre competition will air at 7 AM on NBCOlympics.com, should I avoid saying the results here for those of you who want to watch the medal matches at 3 PM on MSNBC?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #67
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sabre finals have begun. Results in spoiler tags.

Spoiler
Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-09-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #69
allpro10050
Mascot

Spoiler
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #70
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Can you imagine how much the Chinese spin doctors must be freaking out right now about that stabbing? NOT the image you want to put out there when hosting the world, trying to show you're not the bad guys.

Actually, I wonder if that's part of why this guy did it.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #71
Icy
Pro Starter

Nice, first gold medal for Spain! (we were favorites so not big surprise)

Spoiler

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #72
MrDNA
High School Varsity

US women not doing too hot against Japan in Volleyball. I hope they pull it out as this is probably my favorite Olympic sport to watch. Gotta say Japan is putting on a show, though.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Question: It might be a bit late now, but what's the stance on "spoiling events"

For example, the semis and the finals of the Sabre competition will air at 7 AM on NBCOlympics.com, should I avoid saying the results here for those of you who want to watch the medal matches at 3 PM on MSNBC?

I remember last time that once it was on tv, we could talk about it, but not until. Now that we have spoiler tags, it should probably be in there.

That said, I don't know how anyone else feels about that but it seems reasonable.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #74
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Woman's beach volleyball just makes me want to whip it out and spank it. I love uniforms from Victoria's Secret and celebrations that could be on the Playboy Channel.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #75
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Fencing SUCKS! The Olympics are GARBAGE! Here's my myspace blog about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl myspace blog
The Olympics..........

....FUCKING SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just woke up this beautiful Saturday morning, and I saw that the Olympics were on two different channels. "Oh, that's cool," I thought. First off, MSNBC had women's handball (I don't care if these lame ass sports are men's or women's competition, btw, they are equally unwatchable). I don't know what handball qualifies as in the Olympics, but it didn't look like the handball I played as a kid. You'd hit the ball against the wall, and your opponent would get one bounce to gauge it, and they'd smack that shit against the wall. And you'd have little rules like "black magic" where you'd say "black magic" and then swing your hand above or below the ball, and it would be up to your opponent to try and hit the ball again before it bounced twice. But, they couldn't! They were totally fucked! Now, this handball I was watching was like soccer where you used your hands. Honestly, I don't have any idea what was going on. However, team handball was awesome compared to...

WOMENS' FENCING! I fucking hate fencing. I hated it before, now I hate it even more. So, I switched from MSNBC to plain ole NBC. You know, NBC must have the quality programming, since it's network and all. Nope!!! It was fencing, followed by men's bicycle racing. Oh my fucking Christ. What a puddle of liquid SHIT!

The fencing was mind-boggingly ridiculous. To call that sport is laughable. It's like playing tag with swords, if the rules of tag forced you to run directly into each other, and then shriek horrifyingly loudly if you got tagged. I mean, I didn't mind the shrieking entirely...it was two well-off nerdy ivy league girls (who else, really? I've never seen a fencing team from the projects) sounding like they were orgasming after every "touch" as the announcers called it.

So, anyway, they'd run into each other, one girl would cum, and then the announcer would say "Ohhh...point for Jennifer! Amazing footwork on the repost touch", and then I would change the channel.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Your blog fucking suck ass. Fencing is great.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #77
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Female Sabre Semi and Finals will be on MSNBC at 3pm

Ugh, I turned on MSNBC at 3 and it wasn't on. The chick on CNBC lied to me last night.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #78
molson
General Manager

Why do the fencers shriek when they're hit? That was a little startling at first - I thought she got stabbed right through the armor.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #79
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I thought some of the fencing girls were kind of cute.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

dude. your blog said handball and fencing suck?

GTFO
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #81
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I was a bit disappointed by the fencing as well. I was hoping for a bit more defense and back-and-forth action. There is probably nuance that I am unaware of, but I didn't get the feeling that I was looking at world-class talent.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #82
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Going to be tough. Watching sports live online and not talking about it, not really knowing when they will be broadcast on TV...

Maybe have two threads? One with spoilers (free to talk about live online stuff) and one without (the one to go to just to talk about stuff on TV)?

Either way, doesn't really matter to me. Extensive use of spoiler tags would probably be enough.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #83
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I was a bit disappointed by the fencing as well. I was hoping for a bit more defense and back-and-forth action. There is probably nuance that I am unaware of, but I didn't get the feeling that I was looking at world-class talent.

I'm not an expert on fencing (or even a novie or causal fan), but with the rules being different for Sabre and Foil and Epee, you might get more back and forth with Foil and Epee since only strikes with the tip of the sword count.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #84
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe have two threads? One with spoilers (free to talk about live online stuff) and one without (the one to go to just to talk about stuff on TV)?

Probably the best option.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not an expert on fencing (or even a novie or causal fan), but with the rules being different for Sabre and Foil and Epee, you might get more back and forth with Foil and Epee since only strikes with the tip of the sword count.

I'm hoping this is the case. I want to like fencing, but I just couldn't get into it this morning.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #86
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Oh, dude. You're so wrong...fencing is terrible. It's a lame "sport" for lame rich people. Watching the gold medal match was ridiculous. I can't believe someone won a gold medal for that. If I was her family, I couldn't even pretend to be excited. And just imagine, her family is going to have to watch that ridiculous dog and pony show at every holiday dinner.

"Hey, aren't you Becky's new husband? Wanna watch my Gold Medal match from Beijing?"

"Oh, wow! Yeah, you got a gold medal? That's AMAZING! Let's totally watch it!"

"Ok, you're about to have a mindgasm!"

(the video plays, and finishes..Becky's husband responds)

"So you won the gold medal! Now, if you could be so kind as to tell me WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BULLSHIT?"

That is so not a sport. It's garbage. I'm convinced that the gold medal winner could go on a 20 year bender of booze and clove cigs, and come back and at least medal.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #87
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

GTFO

Handball could have been ok...I was just waking up when I watched the handball. I'll give it a pass. The fencing...yeah...no!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I will quote MJ4H

Quote:

GTFO

Olympics just ain't for you.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #89
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I will quote MJ4H

Olympics just ain't for you.

I enjoy many olympic sports, particularly the ones that display feats of athleticism. Swimming, track and field, hell, I even respect gymnastics.

Maybe I'm just jealous. I was a great tag player as a child, but my mom couldn't afford to buy me a sword.

ISiddiqui, you'd probably like the movie Stay Tuned, starring John Ritter..he brought the joy of fencing to inner city youths after he escaped a nightmare alternate, television-based reality. BTW, yes, I always turned that movie off when he started trying to make like D'Artagnan.

Why don't the olympics just have paintball duels while their at it? 20 paces and then turn and fire your paintball.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #90
MJ4H
Coordinator

So anyway, back to the olympics now?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #91
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I enjoy many olympic sports, particularly the ones that display feats of athleticism. Swimming, track and field, hell, I even respect gymnastics.

Maybe I'm just jealous. I was a great tag player as a child, but my mom couldn't afford to buy me a sword.

ISiddiqui, you'd probably like the movie Stay Tuned, starring John Ritter..he brought the joy of fencing to inner city youths after he escaped a nightmare alternate, television-based reality. BTW, yes, I always turned that movie off when he started trying to make like D'Artagnan.

Why don't the olympics just have paintball duels while their at it? 20 paces and then turn and fire your paintball.

they do have shooting. Just not with paintballs and at other people.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #92
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So anyway, back to the olympics now?

I was hoping someone could, you know...maybe TELL ME about the finer points of fencing?

I'm only calling it out in the hopes of being proven wrong, like any good scientist (I am not a scientist)
Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #93
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Three Americans standing on the pedestals? Why even waste the jet fuel taking them to Beijing? Just do this in Valdosta, Georgia...the true titletown.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #94
duckman
Pro Starter

Just let me know when USA Men's Basketball play.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #95
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I was hoping someone could, you know...maybe TELL ME about the finer points of fencing?

I'm only calling it out in the hopes of being proven wrong, like any good scientist (I am not a scientist)

FWIW, that's not at all how your blog post read.

Anyway, they are showing the fencing semi-finals and finals on MSNBC now.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #96
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
FWIW, that's not at all how your blog post read.

Anyway, they are showing the fencing semi-finals and finals on MSNBC now.

I thought the fencing fans would be a little less sensitive, what with the participants being STABBED WITH SWORDS!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #97
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

For anyone who would like to see what the sun can do to your skin, check out the beach volleyball finals on right now.

EDIT: errr..this probably isn't the finals..

Last edited by Karlifornia : 08-09-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #98
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

+1
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #99
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Time Warner has also temporarily added USA HD, giving us four HD networks for the Olympics. Sweet.

And depending on where you are the USA HD might not actually be temporary...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #100
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Just let me know when USA Men's Basketball play.

Please be joking.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote