Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm With Stupid, IWS #252

The Rules

The rules are the same as previous FOFC “I’m With Stupid" Contests, as set forth by the game's deeply beloved progenitors. There is no doubt about this. They are the best.

The object of this contest is to answer the questions posted, and to provide the most common answer among those submitted. For each question, your score will be equal to the number of people who submitted that response. Your score for the contest will be the product of your individual question scores. For the mathematically challenged, product means they are multiplied together, not added. Highest score wins.

Collaboration of any kind is strictly forbidden. No posting your answers to this board, nor sharing them by e-mail or in any other way with other potential contestants. There are no prizes other than everlasting glory and total consciousness on your deathbed, so the need to cheat shouldn't be an issue.

All determinations of "matches" and anything else requiring even the most trivial degree of judgment fall to that of the sole administrator of this round of the game. You can reduce the need for doubt and judgment by properly spelling your submissions, being clear, and that sort of thing. My decisions are final and utterly inarguable, no exceptions. I, and I alone, can determine what is right.

Any references that are unclear to you, due to language or geography, should be understood to be authored from the perspective of an English-speaking American. However...

Your answers do not necessarily have to be correct in order to score points. If I ask "Who is the most dangerous weapon on the alphabetically first Arizona Cardinals right now?" and you and seven others respond with "Zach Ertz" you each get 8 points even though it's clearly Rondale Moore.

Hall of Heroes

Spoiler

It’s NFL draft time, and that is always fun for folks like us. Let’s do a round of questions based on the upcoming 2022 NFL draft.

Important note: when I ask for a draft pick, just give me the overall, not round-and-number please… so I want 35 rather than 2.3. If you give me answers in an improper format, I will consider them distinct from the comparable answer from those who followed the rules. Just saves me time, and now you have been warned.

1. Quarterback is the fun and obvious position, right? Who will be the first QB selected in the draft, and to what franchise? (Two part answer please)

2. So… I’m also interested in the depth at the QB position, where teams might want to “take a stab.” With what pick will we see the 3rd QB selected this year?

3. Wide receiver is also fun…and this year we have a pretty varied class. How many receivers go in round one?

4. “Running backs don’t matter” is emerging as dogma, so we may have to wait a while until we see one come off the board… with what pick will we see the first RB selected?

5. Georgia’s defense was crazy last season, and it’s showing in the draft this year…how many picks will it take for FIVE former Dawgs defenders to make it to the podium?

6. Punter Matt Araiza is a legend of video journals, and maybe the most productive punter in college football memory. Punter is also a position that doesn’t usually command major draft capital. What number pick will be used on him in this draft?

(This also seems like a fun battery of questions to submit later as a guess-the-actual-draft game…)

I’ll look to wrap this up maybe end of the week or so, I will refresh the forum as a reminder. Send your responses via PM in this forum to me, with IWS 252 in the title.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The IWS master laying down the law:

Quote:
Important note: when I ask for a draft pick, just give me the overall, not round-and-number please… so I want 35 rather than 2.3. If you give me answers in an improper format, I will consider them distinct from the comparable answer from those who followed the rules. Just saves me time, and now you have been warned.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This is great!
Old 04-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Last place has been sent
Old 04-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

honest confession... i searched for the last of these, intending to hector the winner to un-drop the ball... then saw it was me, which I'm fairly sure I didn't even check in on to see

so, sorry, but WE RIDE AGAIN
Old 04-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yeah we all knew that but none of us wanted to say anything.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:38 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

it's a fair court
Old 04-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

only 7 responses... c'mon gang
Old 04-13-2022, 06:09 AM   #9
korme
Go Reds

id like to change a few of my answers already
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #10
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Last place has been sent
Indeed, last night.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:12 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I know it's been years since I've done one of these, but this one seems fiendishly difficult. Like QuikSand has been saving it up or something. Wait....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

So... are you intending to get any duplicate responses with this?

I foresee a winning score of 20
Old 04-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
friendly reminder bump
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

bump... only have 9 responses in hand, will kick this down the road a bit
Old 04-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

11 entries, i guess we'll call it soon here, but that's pretty disappointing
Old 04-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sent.

Far be it for me to question the undisputed IWS master, but I wanted to add some thoughts as to why it took me so long. Also, I know it's not cool to table talk in IWS threads for fear of influencing the answers so I'll try to speak in generalities.

I felt the "name the pick number" questions were really tough. I just gave up and went and pulled up a random free mock draft and tried to go off of that. I think outside of the top 10 picks or maybe the top couple QBs, unless you've been actively wargaming picks, it's just a shot in the dark. And even then, there's a ton of variance.

I had a theory a while back about IWS questions about how most are either eliminators or splitters. Eliminators are the ones that have one real answer that the majority picks, but eliminates the rest - if you don't get this question, you're out of the running. However, it can't be a total slam dunk or it serves no purpose: if, say, 19 people get it right and only 1 wrong - it doesn't eliminate much. A good eliminator still shrugs off maybe 1/4 of the entries.

Meanwhile, a splitter is one with no real consensus but a little of you need to get one of the top couple of answers on each of the splitters to win.

In a perfect IWS, I think there's a balance with at least two of each and two that could go either way. You want the eliminators to make it feel like the winners and losers "earned" their spots while the splitters should keep you from having too many ties.

To roll this back here, eliminators are usually ones that people can come up with off the top of their head and splitters are ones they have to look up and do extra work. The more splitters, the less likely people are to participate.

The "which pick" questions are almost all splitters and I suspect there are going to be a of 1s and maybe 2s with those for scores. For instance, making the Matt Araiza question a pick number makes it a complete dart throw (and definitely a splitter). Whereas maybe asking what round would have made it an eliminator or a hybrid splitter where you get a clustering of answers in 3 or 4 buckets. Same with the running back pick- maybe have people pick a bucket of 10 it will go in and not an exact pick (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

I welcome the input...and can see how maybe a reboot like this could have benefited from some lower hanging fruit.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sent.

Far be it for me to question the undisputed IWS master, but I wanted to add some thoughts as to why it took me so long.

So, yeah... got that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The "which pick" questions are almost all splitters and I suspect there are going to be a of 1s and maybe 2s with those for scores. For instance, making the Matt Araiza question a pick number makes it a complete dart throw (and definitely a splitter).

...perhaps we're all a bit rusty, though. There are no true "drat throws" in this game when juicy round numbers are there for the taking. Recall, we're not guessing where the guy will get drafted, we're guessing what other people will respond to this question in IWS. I would have guessed 100, as the very round number that matches up with "pretty early for a punter I guess." You and one other person must have overthought your way into the same (I presume) well-reasoned answer, but the round number was the correct play, as is the case with nearly any numeric one that feels like a dart throw.

Answers on their way presently...

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-18-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I would have guessed 100, as the very round number that matches up with "pretty early for a punter I guess." You and one other person must have overthought your way into the same (I presume) well-reasoned answer, but the round number was the correct play, as is the case with nearly any numeric one that feels like a dart throw.

It was all those Giants mock drafts

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-18-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #20
bhlloy
Coordinator

Twist - QS is actually his agent, and is posting mock drafts and thinly veiled questions all over the internet to try to normalize taking him in the first 3 rounds
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote