Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

What's going on in Thailand and Hungary?

I saw this morning a military coup is lauched in Thailand, and big riots are occuring in Hungary.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14906669/

What's the problem in Hungary?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-19-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I haven't been following Thai politics closley enough to know, but it appears the military is apparently trying to overthrow the prime minister and restore the monarchy.

I do like that the news stories are reporting that the army-owned TV station -- and who doesn't like a country where the army owns its own TV network? -- abandoned regular programming and began playing patriotic music. I'd love to see that happen in American politics -- you would the Democrats where trying to sezie power because the liberal bastion CBS interrupts "Two and a Half Men" for a half hour of "God Bless America."

The Hungary situation is just as peculiar -- people are rioting because a tape was leaked to the media that showed the prime minister admitting to lying to the public about the economy. Again, we have a different standard in this country. What do we do with politicians who lie to us? Usually give them an other three or four terms.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

Why monarchy?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Again, we have a different standard in this country. What do we do with politicians who lie to us? Usually give them an other three or four terms.
Alright, that's it. I'm gonna go riot this afternoon. Who's with me?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post

I can't riot this afternoon - watching 2 and a Half Men on Tivo.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Can we loot? I'm not going if there's no looting.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

I thought looting was always part of the rioting package? Rioting just doesn't sound like fun without it.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Rioting is more like pumping fists, throwing rocks, burning cars and shit. Looting is more of an after-effect. You looters can't do shit without us rioters to lead the way.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I can't riot this afternoon - watching 2 and a Half Men on Tivo.

LMAO!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

By the way, I've heard that one riot in Bangkok and the world's your oyster.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
By the way, I've heard that one riot in Bangkok and the world's your oyster.

One town's very like another
When your head's down over your pieces, brother
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

What's with all the rioting? They only beat the Cincinnati Bearcats. It wasn't a BCS game or anything.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you white? If so, sorry, you can only "find".
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

We call it "foraging"
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

borrowing
Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
borrowing

Borrowing on a permanent basis.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I just got back from Bangkok Friday morning and two of my coworkers are still there right now. I'm scheduled to head back in a couple of weeks (I've spent 90% of my time there this year) but who knows now.

Its still surreal seeing a place you've lived in for the past 11 months on the front page of the news. I'm sure that everything will be fine and my coworkers (not to mention the other thousands of Americans currently in the city) will come home safely.

As far as the situation there goes, many people are upset with the current Thai prime minister. He is accused of abusing his power to help amass billions for his family company and there are numerous other charges of corruption tied to his administration as well. In reality this probably isn't a bad thing to have happen. If one side or the other were to seize power it's probably a good thing that it wasn't his. There have been reported attempts on his life in recent weeks as well as an increased military and police presence throughout the city. I can't say I'm completely surprised at this turn of events. Here's hoping for a peaceful resolution.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

in a way this just shows a historical fact that has been in place since the begining of time. when in power ALWAYS have the army on your side
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #19
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
"The armed forces commander and the national police commander have successfully taken over Bangkok and the surrounding area in order to maintain peace and order. There has been no struggle," the coup announcement said, according to The Associated Press. "We ask for the cooperation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience."

well, at least they're being polite about it.

we all know the saying, when the Prime Minister's away, the army will play.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Super Ugly
High School JV

They don't need to restore the monarchy - they still have one. I think the army is looking to establish a new government with the King as the head. And the King is revered like nothing you'd believe, apparently. Pretty crazy stuff over there by the looks of things, although the UK foreign office hasn't advised holidaymakers to stay away from the country.

Last edited by Super Ugly : 09-19-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Restore the monarchy! Return the aristocracy!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

From what I heard, the current government is horribly corrupt, though that could be a little biased
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #23
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As any good ancient Roman could tell you, "Don't f*ck with the Praetorian Guard."
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #24
st.cronin
General Manager

Thailand is a strange country, but I don't think anything dramatic will happen. Some politicians will lose their jobs and have to go work in the private sector.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I've seen this play out in Crimson Tide.

I just hope Thailand gets communications up soon..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #26
Galaxy
Coordinator

So, will it revert to a Monarchy-rule government, or will it just re-form the democratic process?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
I just got back from Bangkok Friday morning and two of my coworkers are still there right now. I'm scheduled to head back in a couple of weeks (I've spent 90% of my time there this year) but who knows now.

Its still surreal seeing a place you've lived in for the past 11 months on the front page of the news. I'm sure that everything will be fine and my coworkers (not to mention the other thousands of Americans currently in the city) will come home safely.

As far as the situation there goes, many people are upset with the current Thai prime minister. He is accused of abusing his power to help amass billions for his family company and there are numerous other charges of corruption tied to his administration as well. In reality this probably isn't a bad thing to have happen. If one side or the other were to seize power it's probably a good thing that it wasn't his. There have been reported attempts on his life in recent weeks as well as an increased military and police presence throughout the city. I can't say I'm completely surprised at this turn of events. Here's hoping for a peaceful resolution.

What do you do?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #28
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly View Post
They don't need to restore the monarchy - they still have one. I think the army is looking to establish a new government with the King as the head. And the King is revered like nothing you'd believe, apparently. Pretty crazy stuff over there by the looks of things, although the UK foreign office hasn't advised holidaymakers to stay away from the country.

The King IS revered and you likely WOULDNT believe it. Its like nothing I've ever seen. His 60th anniversary of being in power was this year (or was it 75th? doh!) and that place has been a zoo. At the ginormous bank where I work EVERY single person now wears a yellow shirt every single Monday to honor the king. Of COURSE the army is backing the King. It would be suicide if they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What do you do?
I'm a software engineer for a software company who has a contract with a large Thai bank. Been over there implementing our software solution. You can think of me as Jim Gindin with a much smaller sack.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #29
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
So, will it revert to a Monarchy-rule government, or will it just re-form the democratic process?

Even if it were to revert back to a true monarchy I don't see that lasting. I'm pretty sure that the King wants a democratic government and would re-implement some form of democratic control. However, if he ever wanted to be supreme ruler again I'm sure there would be little resistance from the populace.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #30
Galaxy
Coordinator

So, how is the PM going to return home?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Even if it were to revert back to a true monarchy I don't see that lasting. I'm pretty sure that the King wants a democratic government and would re-implement some form of democratic control. However, if he ever wanted to be supreme ruler again I'm sure there would be little resistance from the populace.

Ah, so how would this happen?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #32
Edward64
Head Coach

I emailed a friend (Thai) and he is okay with the coup.

There's been many coup d'etats in Thailand, most of them have been relatively bloodless, always have avoided messing around with the (very popular) monarchy.

I think its their way to changing government. I'm not sure why elections don't seem to work.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #33
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think its their way to changing government. I'm not sure why elections don't seem to work.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the lastest one early this year was pretty debatable, and a second one proposed was ruled illegal. Also, I believe the PM (who ironic, is the same man who did or was looking at the Liverpool FC in England for sale) sold his family company for aroud $2 Billion and didn't pay taxes (as well as selling an asset that is valuable to the Thai culture to Singapore investors).
Old 09-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #34
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
By the way, I've heard that one riot in Bangkok and the world's your oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum.

Bangkrimson.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #35
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The King IS revered and you likely WOULDNT believe it. Its like nothing I've ever seen. His 60th anniversary of being in power was this year (or was it 75th? doh!) and that place has been a zoo. At the ginormous bank where I work EVERY single person now wears a yellow shirt every single Monday to honor the king. Of COURSE the army is backing the King. It would be suicide if they didn't.

Yup. A friend of mine works in Thailand a lot, and one of his co-workers who had been in the country less than 24 hours made a joke about the King in public. They were very nearly in a whole heap of trouble, and were saved by some quick talking by a Thai friend.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #36
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yup. A friend of mine works in Thailand a lot, and one of his co-workers who had been in the country less than 24 hours made a joke about the King in public. They were very nearly in a whole heap of trouble, and were saved by some quick talking by a Thai friend.
Bad, bad, VERY bad idea (to have joked about the royal family, let alone The King).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I emailed a friend (Thai) and he is okay with the coup.

There's been many coup d'etats in Thailand, most of them have been relatively bloodless, always have avoided messing around with the (very popular) monarchy.

It's not their way of "changing government". Those barbarians do hold actual elections (Hell, they even have indoor plumbing nowadays or something). It occurs when there's sufficient sentiments against the current administration and some feels there is a need for a change. It's not that rare, I suppose, and are rarely ever bloody. Still a scary idea for families of those executing the coup.
Quote:
I agree. I don't think The Royal Family, especially The King, wants to go back to a Monarchy.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sounds like it's over... Wonder what the outted PM will do, and if they will try to go after any of his assets?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...thailand.coup/