Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

The Suggest Music To Izulde Tournament (Nominations Thread)

All right, so I'm getting tired of the songs on my iPod and am looking to expand my music library. I could download songs I've already heard and know I like, but I feel like breaking fresh territory. So I'm introducing the Suggest Music To ______ Tournament concept to FOFC.

How it works is, people will suggest a specific song and face off against one another head to head matchups. I'll listen to each song five times and decide which I like better and why. The person whose choice I like better advances to the next round and the loser is knocked out of the tournament.

For example:

Mateen suggests Song #1 by Artist Whoever
Yeaton suggests Song #9 by Suchandsuchperson
Tommy suggests Songtitle by Whoever
Wade suggests Duhsong by Mehness

Mateen faces Yeaton
Tommy faces Wade

Say I like Song #1 and Duhsong better of the two matchups. Mateen and Wade advance to face each other in the next round, Yeaton and Tommy are out of the tournament.

Song Nomination Rules
1. Each person can only nominate one eligible song per round.
2. In order for a song to be eligible, it has to be a song I haven't heard before. If I've heard it before, I'll let the person know and they'll make another selection.
3. Different people can nominate different songs by the same artist, but once a specific person nominates a specific artist, they can't nominate that artist for the rest of the tournament.
4. A link to the song would be very helpful if you can find one, whether it's Youtube or whatever.

So in the above example, Wade couldn't nominate another song by Mehness, but Mateen could.

I don't know if people are interested in this or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see what comes up. My musical tastes tend to be pretty varied and giving specific genres I tend to listen to would eliminate some of the fun of this, so I won't do that.

I will, however, say that instrumental only songs are far more likely to lose. I like voices and lyrics with my music.

I'll leave the nominations thread open for a few days.

We'll see how this goes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I refuse to participate after the flame out in your last tournament.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

A Little More Time by John Doe

Last edited by digamma : 10-26-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: updating with a link
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" - Arcade Fire
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Do you want a complete new song or are covers ok?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Do you want a complete new song or are covers ok?

Considering there's so many covers out there and so many songs that sample from other songs, covers are fine.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 10-27-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

pandora's the greatest thing since sliced bread. just sayin.

Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 10-27-2010 at 01:42 PM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

Yeah I do Pandora on occasion. That's how I got exposed to a few artists and rediscovered my enjoyment of others. But I thought this would be fun to do.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have to say this is pretty tough since we have no idea what you already like, and thus you may have already heard. Are we supposed to recommend really obscure things for that reason?

I'll take a shot and throw out the song Fantani by Amadou and Mariam.

Looks like that one was too tough to find on the web, so I'll change it to their more well known "Senegal Fast Food"

Video (for some reason no embedding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZzKAcwt9U

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-27-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Da Dip - Freak Nasty

Edit: This one was meant to be a joke, but here's a real one instead: The Hold Steady, Stuck Between Stations

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 10-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

Murder in the City - The Avett Brothers

Amazon.com: The Second Gleam: The Avett Brothers: MP3 Downloads: Reviews, Prices & more

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7rkSELM3I

Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsU1OeAiN8

Love recommending this band to people. This is one of there more obscure songs, but for some reason it's the style of song I picture connecting with Izulde enough to get him to listen to other stuff by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 10-27-2010 at 10:26 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yes, I Am A Long Way From Home - Mogwai
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-27-2010 at 08:11 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Tick Tock - Kei$ha
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just so I have an idea of what you might like, are you partial to any Cattle Decapitation or Prostitute Disfigurement songs?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm skeptical that this concept will actually last too, but it sounds cool enough that I'm interested in playing along. For those curious about Izulde's musical tastes, here's all I found in searching -- his Mount Rushmore of 90's albums:

Quote:
The '90s might well be the greatest decade in the history of music. In terms of quality and variety of musical streams, it's possible that it may never be surpassed. As a result of this, the Mt. Rushmore of this 10 years needs to take into consideration those albums which were truly epic and, in some cases, whose ramifications might even echo down into the present day.

Nirvana - Nevermind
It's been mentioned by several others and yes, it belongs here. I say this as someone who despises Nirvana, Kurt Cobain, the group's music and the hordes and hordes of Cobain shirts following his suicide, most worn by girls. This album singlehandedly launched the Seattle grunge movement and alternative as a whole into the mainstream and in a major way. So major that alternative music was one of the dominant music types of the decade. I can't attest to Nirvana's influences in terms of music, because I don't listen to this type of stuff but I believe it's there.

Boyz II Men - Cooleyhigharmony
In many ways, the 1990s was the last decade where true, pure R&B singing was in the mainstream, before it was replaced by a complete fusion with rap. Foreshadows of this union came with the New Jack Swing sound, which, ironically enough, also created some of the best R&B ever. Like Nirvana's Nevermind did for grunge and alternative, this album skyrocketed new jack swing-flavored R&B to the top of the national conscience and paved the way for groups like Shai, Jodeci, TLC (though they were slightly different in their sound) and so on to break out. As a bonus, the second run of Cooleyhigharmony included the record-breaking chart-topper, "End of the Road".

Real McCoy - Another Night
Eurodance was another smash hit genre of the '90s. I really struggled with this one in terms of finding an album that really launched the Eurodance craze. You could suggest Ace of Base - The Sign and have an argument, but to me, Ace of Base isn't that much of a pure eurodance group. So instead, I'm going to take Real McCoy's top-selling album as a representative of the genre. Terrific beats, gorgeous female vocals and fun lyrics were all hallmarks of the eurodance scene, in its own way as mainstream (though on a lesser scale) than the two previously mentioned genres.

Spice Girls - Spice
It's been mentioned by someone else and I agree it belongs. Yes, Hanson, preceded them, but there was no lasting impact from the three brothers, who were essentially a flash in the pan. The Spice Girls, on the other hand, were an international sensation, one that re-ignited the power of bubblegum pop sound and created an opportunity, as somebody earlier mntioned, under which boy band groups like Backstreet Boys and N-Sync could flourish and be dominant in the '00s. We'd also be remiss, I think, if we ignored the Girl Power message that the Spice Girls helped popularize. It gave girls and women a creed to stand on and perhaps in some small way helped bolster their self-esteem (okay that may be a bit of a stretch). Truly a worthy conclusion to these four epic albums.

I can't get to YouTube here, so I'll wait a while to post my song, which I haven't decided on fully anyway.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
Ksyrup

OK, so with the inclusion of Spice Girls on that list, I'm going to strike Prostitute Disfigurement. But with Boyz II Men on there, I'm adding Torsofuck to the mix.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
wade moore
lolzcat

I added youtube links to mine fwiw.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Murder in the City - The Avett Brothers

Amazon.com: The Second Gleam: The Avett Brothers: MP3 Downloads: Reviews, Prices & more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj54C_CWx5w

and live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlM93MlV-iE

Love recommending this band to people. This is one of there more obscure songs, but for some reason it's the style of song I picture connecting with Izulde enough to get him to listen to other stuff by them.

You, sir, are an asshole.

Izulde, do you want to make the brackets first or should we just be throwing things out like everyone has been doing?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Ksyrup

Vast - Be With Me

http://

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I added youtube links to mine fwiw.

The first youtube link goes to "And it Spread"

Actually, so does the live one.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #23
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The first youtube link goes to "And it Spread"

Actually, so does the live one.

Fixed my links.

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 10-27-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
Ksyrup

Quote:
Fixed my links.

"I'm sorry - none of us was watching when you claimed to fix your links, so the original ruling will stand."
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
You, sir, are an asshole.

Izulde, do you want to make the brackets first or should we just be throwing things out like everyone has been doing?

It seems to me the fairest way to do this is to set matchups based on the order that people put their nominations up.

So digamma vs. Big Fo, Scoobz0202 vs. NorvTurnerOverDrive, Peregrine vs. Ronnie Dobbs2, wade moore vs. thesloppy, Logan vs. Ksyrup, lordscarlet vs. whoever's next in the first round, etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Since Wade took my song I'm going to toss out a wild card.

"You and I" - Ingrid Michaelson

Ingrid Michaelson - You and I / MP3 & Music Blog Song / The Hype Machine

Ingrid Michaelson - You And I by alecvs0825

Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #27
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It seems to me the fairest way to do this is to set matchups based on the order that people put their nominations up.

So digamma vs. Big Fo, Scoobz0202 vs. NorvTurnerOverDrive, Peregrine vs. Ronnie Dobbs2, wade moore vs. thesloppy, Logan vs. Ksyrup, lordscarlet vs. whoever's next in the first round, etc.

Sounds good. My only concern is that people know what song they're going against, but they should go for the best song they can anyway.

How many entries are you going for? (I hope I didn't miss that in the first post)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Sounds good. My only concern is that people know what song they're going against, but they should go for the best song they can anyway.

How many entries are you going for? (I hope I didn't miss that in the first post)

I'm not adverse to randomizing the matchups, either. Whatever people are interested in.

I didn't have a specific set of entries in mind, as I wasn't sure anyone would even want to participate in this. So far we've 11.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
dfisher
High School JV

The Hold Steady - The Weekenders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrvEU7IQ2jM

Oops, I didn't see Ronnie Dobbs2 recommendation for Stuck Between Stations. I can go for a different band if you want, but The Hold Steady is good enough to be a 2 bid band.

Last edited by dfisher : 10-27-2010 at 11:33 AM.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #30
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm not adverse to randomizing the matchups, either. Whatever people are interested in.

I didn't have a specific set of entries in mind, as I wasn't sure anyone would even want to participate in this. So far we've 11.

I mean, I'd love to be the one up against Mogwai (), but I think you should just go with your original plan unless people complain.

I think you need to think about manageability is all. 16 people and an average of 3 mins per song would put you at 90 minutes of listening time. 32 people and it's 180.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #31
Easy Mac

How to Dress Well - You Won't Need Me Where I'm Goin'

How to Dress Well - You Won't Need Me Where I'm Goin' by Ragged Words
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
How to Dress Well

Is it supposed to be so scratchy or should you find a better version?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #33
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I mean, I'd love to be the one up against Mogwai (), but I think you should just go with your original plan unless people complain.

I think you need to think about manageability is all. 16 people and an average of 3 mins per song would put you at 90 minutes of listening time. 32 people and it's 180.

Wow, poor math on my part. You said you would listen to each song five times.

16 entrants: 450 minutes (7.5 hours)
32 entrants: 930 minutes (15.5 hours)

Just something to think about.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #34
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, poor math on my part. You said you would listen to each song five times.

16 entrants: 450 minutes (7.5 hours)
32 entrants: 930 minutes (15.5 hours)

Just something to think about.

I was thinking of suggesting a song like Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother (roughly 23 minutes) just so izulde would have to listen to it 5 times.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Keeping with the tradition that Wade and I have of going overboard with these things, I threw this together on playlist.com with all of the entrants up to this point (and I plan to add as we go).

However, I couldn't get ahold of Peregrine's entry or Ksyrup's. If you can find the mp3 online somewhere I can add it.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #36
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home
oh that's that nfl song. i've been trying to figure out who that was. cool.

that playlist is fuxered. the nmh song is the studio demo and the john doe track is a commercial.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #37
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

that playlist is fuxered. the nmh song is the studio demo and the john doe track is a commercial.

sorry, I had to dig aroudn for those -- if you can find a better version I will fill them in. I will remove the John Doe one.

edit: I found a better version of the NMH song

Last edited by lordscarlet : 10-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #38
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yea. That is what made me search for it. I found the youtube video of them on letterman (edited my post above and put that video in) and haven't stopped watching it for a couple days now ha.

Sucks that it's going up against my 2nd favorite of the already mentioned songs
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #39
Easy Mac

Quote:
Is it supposed to be so scratchy or should you find a better version?

Nopes that's the way it is.

For those that like R. Kelly, Bon Iver and Washed Out.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

I refuse to make any nominations till you finish the TV Show Tournament.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #41
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

man, music is some cyclical shit. after ok computer the needle swung way towards sampling, electronica and weirdness. then that becomes too mainstream and the meter swings the other way towards acoustics, traditional instruments and 10 piece bands. crazy how culture works.

/unrelated rant
Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #42
Recoil
High School Varsity

EDIT: Added a second live version of the song.

Last edited by Recoil : 10-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #43
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:

However, I couldn't get ahold of Peregrine's entry or Ksyrup's. If you can find the mp3 online somewhere I can add it.

I changed mine to something else by the same artist, and more well known - Senegal Fast Food by Amadou and Mariam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZzKAcwt9U
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-27-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like fun! Lemme pic a song, hold on.

Let go with...

Royksopp...(I have about four legit choices. Let's go with the shortest of the lot for you)
The Girl and the Robot

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 10-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #45
Izulde
Head Coach

digamma vs. Big Fo, Scoobz0202 vs. NorvTurnerOverDrive, Peregrine vs. Ronnie Dobbs2, wade moore vs. thesloppy, Logan vs. Ksyrup, lordscarlet vs. dfisher, Easy Mac vs. Recoil, Abe Sargent vs.

Okay, we're at 15 entries. Since I don't think we'll get to 32, which would be the next most ideal entry number, we'll take one more and close the entries at 16.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #46
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm in, then. I'll try to get a link later, but my song choice for this round will be seasonal.

For Halloween by No Kids
Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #47
Passacaglia
Coordinator

(although if LS can work his magic, that would be cool, too)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #48
Izulde
Head Coach

NOMINATIONS NOW CLOSED

Tournament to start sometime today/tonight.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #49
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
(although if LS can work his magic, that would be cool, too)

I added it to the playlist.com thing -- let me know if it's the wrong song.

So all but the John Doe and Vast songs are on there.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
I only discovered these guys a few months ago when I heard "Ghost" on the radio (which is a masterpiece, by the way).

It lead to me having a conversation with a cooler friend that went somewhat like this:

Me: I'm getting into this new band, you should check them out, they're called Neutral Milk Hotel.
Him: Yeah, they broke up over ten years ago.
Me: ...
Him: (Punches me in the face.)