Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #651
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Rays gotta make that play, Choi has to pick it there.

Having a kid that plays first base and watching the game with him, I empathized with Choi. If he doesn't make the pick and the ball gets by him, the runner scores for sure, the game is over and he is crushed for not playing it safe and keeping the ball in front of him. If he plays it the way he did and the next batter grounds into a DP, Choi is lauded for playing it safe.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #652
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm at a loss for words as to how they didn't overturn that call.

Edit - OK, so it's not reviewable. How? Why?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-12-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Having a kid that plays first base and watching the game with him, I empathized with Choi. If he doesn't make the pick and the ball gets by him, the runner scores for sure, the game is over and he is crushed for not playing it safe and keeping the ball in front of him. If he plays it the way he did and the next batter grounds into a DP, Choi is lauded for playing it safe.

He is a major league first baseman, that is a borderline routine play. Has to be made.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #654
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Insanity. I get we don't want to get to a point where everything is replayed, but that should be.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #655
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Because when the guidelines (4.5 pages worth reportedly) for replay use were negotiated during the 2014 CBA, they only agreed upon reviewing catch/no catch flies that were in the outfield.

The language was so specific that it even detailed how to handle outfielders that positioned themselves in the infield and infielders that were positioned in the outfield.

Quote:
... , fly balls or line drives caught in the infield are not eligible for review and outfielders who station themselves in the infield are considered infielders. Conversely, fly balls caught by infielders playing in the outfield “behind the original positioning of the nearest infielder” can be reviewed. (As you see, this can get complicated, and the decision of the umpires over this “positioning” is final)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #656
Ksyrup

How stupid. If it's not a discretionary/judgment call, it should be reviewable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #657
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
He is a major league first baseman, that is a borderline routine play. Has to be made.

After going back and looking at it again, I am more convinced and we will have to agree to disagree on that one. The one criticism I would have is he may have committed to blocking the ball at all costs a second too early. Tough play all around.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #658
miami_fan
Coordinator

The boy watching the game in the other room when that ball dropped in the Braves/ Brewers game : "See, Dad, we are not the only ones who get confused as to whether that ball is the first baseman's or the pitcher's.

Touché, Son. Touche.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Freeman goes yard off Hader. Unreal what you see in baseball. 99/100 Hader gets the best of him and in the biggest spot of the season the 1% hits.

I love my Mets but man you have to love Freeman.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #660
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

At the end of the season he could be a Met if the price is right. I can't not believe the Braves haven't resigned him yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-12-2021 at 08:43 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #661
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Freeman goes yard off Hader. Unreal what you see in baseball. 99/100 Hader gets the best of him and in the biggest spot of the season the 1% hits.

I love my Mets but man you have to love Freeman.

99 out of 100? I realize Hader is pretty good but Freeman is maybe the best pure hitter in baseball. Or did you mean 1 percent of the time he hits a home run? I could get on board with that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #662
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
At the end of the season he could be a Met if the price is right. I can't not believe the Braves haven't resigned him yet.

The Yankers will make their push as well.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #663
lungs
Pro Rookie

Fun season, disappointing end for this Brewer fan. But I just don't get all that emotional anymore. Freeman is a great hitter and got the best of a Hader mistake.

Now time to figure out WTF is wrong with Yelich. If he's peaked, that's bad bad news for the Brewers.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #664
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
99 out of 100? I realize Hader is pretty good but Freeman is maybe the best pure hitter in baseball. Or did you mean 1 percent of the time he hits a home run? I could get on board with that.

Home run, but Hader against lefties is almost unhittable.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

The Mets aren't giving him 300 million with Alonso under contract for next to nothing.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #666
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Fun season, disappointing end for this Brewer fan. But I just don't get all that emotional anymore. Freeman is a great hitter and got the best of a Hader mistake.

Now time to figure out WTF is wrong with Yelich. If he's peaked, that's bad bad news for the Brewers.

He needs to go back to square one. He was a nice solid gap to gap hitter when the Brewers got him. Then he became a shockingly surprising power threat. Now he just seems lost at the plate.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #667
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He needs to go back to square one. He was a nice solid gap to gap hitter when the Brewers got him. Then he became a shockingly surprising power threat. Now he just seems lost at the plate.

He was not big into launch angle when he got to Milwaukee. Once he embraced it, the power came.

He’s been battling back issues the past two years. Problem is I’m not sure they know what exactly the problem is. How often do bad backs get better?

Not sure if there’s anything going on mentally. Nothing I can judge from my couch, anyway.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #668
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

MLB is so fucking stupid. They get a deciding game 5 against the two best teams this year, in a historical rivalry, and they start the game at 9:00 EST against an NFL game featuring the GOAT and defending champs.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #669
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mike Shildt fired as St. Louis Cardinals manager over 'philosophical differences'
Old 10-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #670
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MLB is so fucking stupid. They get a deciding game 5 against the two best teams this year, in a historical rivalry, and they start the game at 9:00 EST against an NFL game featuring the GOAT and defending champs.

Hard to avoid the NFL unless you go to a Tues + Wed only schedule, which seems a little extreme.

They can't compete with college football on Saturdays, wouldn't really want to compete with HS football in some markets on Fridays, the NFL runs Sun, Mon, Thurs.

And as for time, you're either killing home crowds with early starts for the west coast OR get killed for games that end late on weeknights otherwise.

It kinda is what it is.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #671
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hard to avoid the NFL unless you go to a Tues + Wed only schedule, which seems a little extreme.

They can't compete with college football on Saturdays, wouldn't really want to compete with HS football in some markets on Fridays, the NFL runs Sun, Mon, Thurs.

And as for time, you're either killing home crowds with early starts for the west coast OR get killed for games that end late on weeknights otherwise.

It kinda is what it is.

You aren't killing anything. They have been playing day baseball for 130 years. Start the game 7:00 EST and you are in the 5th by the time the NFL game starts, at least you have peoples attention. The wild card game started early West coast time. They just released the schedule for the NLDs, games start early west coast time. It's nothing new to them. I don't buy the "local fans" thing for one second. If baseball wants to grow their sport you can't freeze out half the country in the biggest game of the year. Most kids in the EST zone are asleep before first pitch.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-14-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #672
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You want to start a deciding Game 5 of Giants v Dodgers at 4pm local time? That's nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #673
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You aren't killing anything. They have been playing day baseball for 130 years. Start the game 7:00 EST and you are in the 5th by the time the NFL game starts, at least you have peoples attention. The wild card game started early West coast time. They just released the schedule for the NLDs, games start early west coast time. It's nothing new to them. I don't buy the "local fans" thing for one second.

But day baseball for 130 years wasn't in the rather dire straits -- nor anywhere near as beholden to TV deals -- as MLB in 2021.

Playing in half-empty stadiums isn't a great look, which is often how early games end up. And is generally very unpopular with the hosts as well as fans. Early starts hurt TV ratings to boot, which doesn't go over well at the prices networks have paid. What you lose to the competition can be made up for with the larger available audience, it's a balancing act.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #674
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You want to start a deciding Game 5 of Giants v Dodgers at 4pm local time? That's nuts.

Why? The Wildcard game started at 5. Games 1 and 2 of the NLDS will start at 5 local time if the Giants host.

I lived on the West coast for years. People are used to earlier start times.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #675
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
But day baseball for 130 years wasn't in the rather dire straits -- nor anywhere near as beholden to TV deals -- as MLB in 2021.

Playing in half-empty stadiums isn't a great look, which is often how early games end up. And is generally very unpopular with the hosts as well as fans. Early starts hurt TV ratings to boot, which doesn't go over well at the prices networks have paid. What you lose to the competition can be made up for with the larger available audience, it's a balancing act.

The Braves game started at 5 local time the other day and the stadium was packed.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #676
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
You aren't killing anything. They have been playing day baseball for 130 years. Start the game 7:00 EST and you are in the 5th by the time the NFL game starts, at least you have peoples attention.

Or do it like they did, and the NFL game will be essentially over by time it's the 5th inning...
Old 10-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #677
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Dodgers are well known for a "late arriving crowd". I don't think the Giants have the same rep, but I'd rather see a full stadium than a late arriving crowd.

This is a bigger game than the WC game or even Game 1 or 2 of the NLCS. It's Dodgers v Giants in a deciding series game.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #678
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Or do it like they did, and the NFL game will be essentially over by time it's the 5th inning...

It's the NFL people still aren't turning it off and if they are it is to go to bed.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #679
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The Dodgers are well known for a "late arriving crowd". I don't think the Giants have the same rep, but I'd rather see a full stadium than a late arriving crowd.

This is a bigger game than the WC game or even Game 1 or 2 of the NLCS. It's Dodgers v Giants in a deciding series game.

Which is why you want to showcase it to as many eyes as possible, especially young people. Starting at 9:00 EST doesn't do that.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #680
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Like I said I'd rather watch a full stadium later than a half full stadium earlier. The half full doesn't feel like playoff baseball and makes me less interested.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #681
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Like I said I'd rather watch a full stadium later than a half full stadium earlier. The half full doesn't feel like playoff baseball and makes me less interested.

You gonna let your 9 year old stay up until midnight to watch?
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #682
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing the 9 year olds in the teams' markets may be the more important "get" - whether in person or watching with their families after work. How many 9 year olds are really interested in watching teams other than their own?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #683
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm guessing the 9 year olds in the teams' markets may be the more important "get" - whether in person or watching with their families after work. How many 9 year olds are really interested in watching teams other than their own?

They are in other sports. The reason they aren’t in baseball is because the sport does a shit job of promoting. Like starting a huge game after those kids are in bed.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #684
Ksyrup

The playoffs always drive home for me how disconnected I have become from really following baseball like I used to. I don't recognize 75% of these players. I turned on the Giants game last week and see Webb pitching and I'm like, "Finally, someone I recognize. I was wondering where Brandon Webb landed. Wait, L. Webb?"
Old 10-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #685
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Say what? Same thing happens in the NBA, where kids are following their favorite players as opposed to "big matchups". I say you cater locally as sports fandom is going that way (or player focused).

Makes a lot more sense to me than East Coast biasing Dodgers v Giants.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #686
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, musta been some abrupt "philosophical differences" in St. Louis.

Be vaguely interesting to see what side of the philosophy we can glean from ownership's eventual choice of a replacement I guess.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #687
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'd let my 9 year old stay up and watch the game if they were really invested in the game. For sure.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #688
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The playoffs always drive home for me how disconnected I have become from really following baseball like I used to. I don't recognize 75% of these players. I turned on the Giants game last week and see Webb pitching and I'm like, "Finally, someone I recognize. I was wondering where Brandon Webb landed. Wait, L. Webb?"

Same. Well, I mean I recognize Trea Turner from his time in DC, but not much beyond that.

-------

Also, I wonder how many 9yo pay much attention to any sports. I know mine didn't.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #689
lungs
Pro Rookie

Eastern is the worst time zone for sports.

I think 3/4 time zones in the country were perfectly fine with the start time tonight. I thought everybody in the Eastern time zone stayed up until midnight?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #690
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think 3/4 time zones in the country were perfectly fine with the start time tonight. I thought everybody in the Eastern time zone stayed up until midnight?

A lot of us do as I understand it.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #691
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meanwhile, musta been some abrupt "philosophical differences" in St. Louis.

Be vaguely interesting to see what side of the philosophy we can glean from ownership's eventual choice of a replacement I guess.

Did John Gruden email Mike Shildt?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #692
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Did John Gruden email Mike Shildt?

SI

That'd certainly turn into a Shildtstorm
Old 10-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #693
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whew.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #694
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:17 AM   #695
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:01 AM   #696
tarcone
Coordinator

Shildt and the hitting coach did not get a long and the hitting coach is the owners guy.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #697
Ksyrup

Quote:

Since Covid allowed new routines to become ingrained in us, I've been getting way more sleep and generally going to bed between 11:15 and 11:30. I used to regularly stay up until 1am and get up at 5:30. Given the options presented by Covid, my body has chosen the alternative for me.

Also, I just turned 50 which may have something to do with it.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #698
cuervo72
Head Coach

I started going to bed earlier with my new job (2017). To get better traffic I would get up earlier than I would driving to G'burg (no traffic). 6:15-6:30 maybe? I forget exactly. Early enough to drive kids to school, too.

In any case, I would sometimes get to work as early as 7:40. I started to feel like 11PM was really pushing things for getting to bed. I couldn't do the stay up until 1, get up at 7 thing anymore.

Now? Get out of bed at 7:30/7:45, shower, log into work by 8/8:15. I still don't try to stay up too late, but midnight is an option again.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-15-2021 at 09:55 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #699
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You gonna let your 9 year old stay up until midnight to watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'd let my 9 year old stay up and watch the game if they were really invested in the game. For sure.

Situations and games like this are a fairly rare occurrence and I would make an allowance for it.

Now, it's been many years but yeah, back in the day I would too. Lucky enough my kids were good in school so I'd have no problem calling him in sick the next day too. We'd have popcorn and make a fun life long memory night of it
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #700
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure I remember watching the 1983 Sugar Bowl on the B&W tv in my bedroom on the sly after I'd gone to bed.

(I can't remember if that was the time when I made too much noise and my dad thought there might be a burglar in the house; he checked my room, bat in hand, while I acted like I was asleep.)