Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #501
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Because: drugs, moral decay, and Democrats. Duh. Someone hasn't been paying attention.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #502
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hw exactly is it more damaging?

Now you aren't expecting anything beyond some vague answer based on misguided personal beliefs, are you? If you're hoping for scientific studies or even logical reasons to back that assertion up, I believe you'll be sorely disappointed.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #503
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As much fun as it is to dogpile on Jon, I don't think it's necessarily fair to entirely dismiss the fact that (along with other questionable cultural leftovers) the South does maintain some positive traditional social values (larger more connected communities, respect for elders, table manners, etc.) that have all but disappeared from the rest of the country.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #504
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
As much fun as it is to dogpile on Jon, I don't think it's necessarily fair to entirely dismiss the fact that (along with other questionable cultural leftovers) the South does maintain some positive traditional social values (larger more connected communities, respect for elders, table manners, etc.) that have all but disappeared from the rest of the country.

The only communities that are connected are if you go to the same church. Otherwise, many people won't talk to each other.

Respect for elders is the same country-wide and I've lived in about 8 different states.

Are you shitting me on table manners? The South is the one place you'll see an abundance of ball caps on while at the table and people eat like their hogs at the trough. I've been to many southern dinners at various homes where silverware wasn't even on the table! Now that's cool eating on the floor with your hands in a Moroccan restaurant, but not so cool when you're eating ham or (yes, this really did happen) pot roast sans silverware.

Last edited by Blackadar : 09-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #505
flounder
High School Varsity

Hey, I was born in the south and I live in the south. There are a lot of great things about the south. But there's no denying that it's more violent than other regions of the country, and has a higher rate of corporal punishment. If corporal punishment is the only thing holding society together, how do you explain that?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #506
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The only communities that are connected are if you go to the same church. Otherwise, many people won't talk to each other.

Respect for elders is the same country-wide and I've lived in about 8 different states.

Yeah, I was specifically imagining churches when I mentioned both of those things, which is probably worth indicating. Also probably worth noting that the NW is remarkably socially insulated and introverted, which probably serves to color my vision. And we hate old people.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #507
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Now you aren't expecting anything beyond some vague answer based on misguided personal beliefs, are you? If you're hoping for scientific studies or even logical reasons to back that assertion up, I believe you'll be sorely disappointed.

I have no problem with a vague answer based on beliefs. Just curious about his thought process.

I enjoy JIMGs thought process on this stuff.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Eh, I have to disagree, at least to some extent.

Even with the great increase in mobility today, there are still extremely deep connections from (I dunno how to phrase it) "longterm proximity"

My mother-in-law (until a few years ago) spent her first 80 years in the same Chattanooga suburban town. Two generations later people still knew who she was, based largely on the connections that her parents & grandparents had with the great-grandparents of the younger generation. But the influence on dealings was intact, albeit to a lesser extent, regardless of whether you were Methodist or Church of God.

My maternal grandfather's family, similar story (albeit less prominent). Large family, 10 kids ... and the great-grandchildren of that generation all still live within about a 20 mile radius of the same 20 miles radius the ancestors spent their whole lives. Other families can say the same ... and that impacts the dealings to this day, regardless of "city" Baptist, "country" Baptist, or whatever.

Churches, moreso by amount of contact than by brand-name IMO, enhance the connectivity. They are not the sole basis of it however.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #509
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

To me there is something sad about spending your whole life in the same "town" you were born in. There is a whole country to experience, get out there and do it.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #510
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Just when I think I've reached the edge of Internet dumbassery, I open up this thread and get proven wrong once again.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #511
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Just when I think I've reached the edge of Internet dumbassery, I open up this thread and get proven wrong once again.

solid contribution.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #512
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
To me there is something sad about spending your whole life in the same "town" you were born in. There is a whole country to experience, get out there and do it.

Hey, I don't disagree with you (town-wise). I didn't laud that example as an admirable standard or anything, I merely meant to point out that it exists & as a contrast to (what IMO was) an overemphasis on the role church fellowship plays in the bigger picture of "community".

But consider this... my 30 yr HS reunion is coming up later this month. In helping contact people I realized that I'm very easily in the upper 25% of "live farthest away" from the school for our class ... and that's a two hour drive.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #513
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Posted in the Week 3 thread (since it has more immediate relevance there technically) but ...

Jonathan Dwyer of Arizona Cardinals arrested on two counts of suspicion of aggravated assault - ESPN
Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #514
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There are lots -- and I mean LOTS -- of parents who would argue that failure to exercise that option, when necessary or effective, has been exponentially far more damaging to society than all of the abuse in the history of the world.

I'm sure there are are, I don't imagine that most of these people think they're doing something wrong. Adrian Peterson probably didn't/doesn't think he was doing anything wrong, but that doesn't excuse it.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote