Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #5751
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm with you. I think why I like Stellaris more is because I played it from the beginning and saw it evolve. With Crusader Kings II, I dabbled in it 2-3 years ago and was overwhelmed by the complexity.

My lord is it complex. I so much want to learn this game. But I just cant get into it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #5752
MrBug708
Head Coach

I wanted to like Stellaris, but the game play eventually gets boring. CK2 I'ved played 252 hours, which seems really low, but Stellaris is just at 30 hours. I personally think CK2 is too simplistic, EU4, which I do also enjoy, seems more taxing. HOI or Victoria are too much for me to handle.

One of the secrets to CK2 when I want a different experience is I just give myself a crapload of cash and go from there.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #5753
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am the opposite. Love CKII, and still fire it up on occasion. Never got into Stellaris at all. Not the biggest sci-fi fan. Now, I have to leave go and play with my Starfinder group.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #5754
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to this game "Surviving the Aftermath" from Paradox. Don't know if zombies are in it but have to believe there will be a DLC for that sooner or later.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/survivi...03-MASTER.html
Quote:
Surviving the Aftermath: Founder's Edition
Survive and thrive in a post-apocalyptic future — resources are scarce but opportunity calls. Build the ultimate disaster proof colony, protect your colonists and restore civilization to a devastated world. Remember: The end of the world is just the beginning.

Surviving the Aftermath Announcement Trailer - YouTube
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #5755
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like almost every gaming site including Bethesda itself is having a Fallout Sale this week, 40-60% off seems like on most things including Fallout 76, so you might check them all out if you are looking to get a Fallout game.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #5756
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Looking forward to this game "Surviving the Aftermath" from Paradox. Don't know if zombies are in it but have to believe there will be a DLC for that sooner or later.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/survivi...03-MASTER.html

Surviving the Aftermath Announcement Trailer - YouTube

TWD, meets Rimworld, meets Fallout, meets Banished.

I like it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #5757
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC later this world. Anyone playing it on the console have any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #5758
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC later this world. Anyone playing it on the console have any thoughts?

I imagine it'll be a YMMV game. I dunno if I got 30 hours before packing it in.

The good stuff is still there as before. The scenery is lush, the voice acting was quality, the story unwrapped slowly but was satisfying (as far as I got anyway).

On the other hand, the controls felt janky as hell to me, the UI is a grind, the "open world" is filled with linear repetitive tedious missions/side missions, combat was largely disappointing, and bugs weren't uncommon.

And those negatives were so strong that they weren't enough to keep me playing despite a world I liked and characters I knew.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #5759
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I imagine it'll be a YMMV game. I dunno if I got 30 hours before packing it in.

The good stuff is still there as before. The scenery is lush, the voice acting was quality, the story unwrapped slowly but was satisfying (as far as I got anyway).

On the other hand, the controls felt janky as hell to me, the UI is a grind, the "open world" is filled with linear repetitive tedious missions/side missions, combat was largely disappointing, and bugs weren't uncommon.

And those negatives were so strong that they weren't enough to keep me playing despite a world I liked and characters I knew.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #5760
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I've put well over 100 hours in, I delayed advancing the story until absolutely required. I've thoroughly enjoyed working on all of the "challenges" in the game, and working on completing all of the custom satchels (which require perfect pelts from different animals to craft), finding the legendary animals and even the legendary fish. I will say that I didn't really feel invested in many of the characters through the story until I was VERY deep in, but everything else was so much fun that I didn't really care.

I will say that I was streaming my gameplay on twitch the entire time, and for awhile was just doing it once a week, so I never got burnt out on this side stuff, and I always found myself very much looking forward to the next session. I'm sure some viewer engagement helped as well. If I was playing it hardcore every day until I finished, I may well have burnt out on things, but I'd still give an extremely favorable review of everything. I have no desire to 100% the game, there are some collection aspects (cigarette cards) that I have no interest in. But different segments of completion - like the challenges, I'm committed to completing them all.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #5761
Izulde
Head Coach

Really looking forward to Outer Worlds releasing Friday

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #5762
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So I've pretty much maxed my fun with Slay the Spire (love that game). Are there any similar games on Steam like it that people here like or have played?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #5763
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
So I've pretty much maxed my fun with Slay the Spire (love that game). Are there any similar games on Steam like it that people here like or have played?

Not played but have similar feels to me at least-Nowhere Prophet, There is a reddit on Slay the Spire where someone asked that question-not sure how much I agree with the answers though:

Any recommended games similar to Slay the Spire? : slaythespire

Another suggestion I see a lot is Dream quest on Iphone/ipad:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dream-quest/id870227884

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-23-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #5764
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I second the suggestion of Desktop Dungeon in that thread. That is a great game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #5765
Thomkal
Head Coach

Q.U.B.E 2 and Layers of Fear are the free games on Epic this week
Old 10-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #5766
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Thea 1? Strikes me as similiar-ish.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #5767
Bobble
College Prospect

If you're interested in Football:Tactics and Glory, now might be the time. They're going to up the price but they're giving people a chance to grab it before they do.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #5768
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If you're interested in Football:Tactics and Glory, now might be the time. They're going to up the price but they're giving people a chance to grab it before they do.

I've not played a soccer sim but this seems to focus on strategy & tactics vs dexterity. You would recommend this without hesitation?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #5769
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, it's fun
Old 10-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #5770
Edward64
Head Coach

It says 20% discount but showing $25 without the typical Steam strikethrough to indicate a discount. Is $25 the discounted price?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #5771
Capital
High School Varsity

Football tactics is a yes - without hesitation - even if you are not really a soccer fan.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #5772
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Loved Football tactics - highly recommended
Old 10-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #5773
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I've not played a soccer sim but this seems to focus on strategy & tactics vs dexterity. You would recommend this without hesitation?

Yes, it's a strategy game in turns. You can take as long as you like.

It's kind of a cousin of Blood Bowl where you've got players on a grid with interestingly interacting skills and abilities. I've put tons of hours into it.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #5774
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so what is up with the steam halloween events

they seem to just be pointing out games with halloween events instead of having their own?
and we would have to buy those events?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #5775
RendeR
Coordinator

ok, looking for a new game to really grab me and give me an in depth experience.

I do not enjoy first person shooters
I'm not a huge fan of MMO, though I used to play everquest
I like RTS but other than Starcraft I've never hit one that I loved as much as that.(I dislike the newest incarnation as well)

My all time favorite games (in no specific order)

Sid Meier (pretty much anything from RR tycoon to Civ V)
X-com (all flavors)
Sports sims
NASCAR sims (NASCAR RACING 2003 Edition was the bomb)
Blood Bowl

Civ like space 4x games, I've tried many but they all get bogged down in too much detail, too much micro management

I don't want to micro- manage 500 things to succeed but I do like some detail.

SO, all you game gurus, help a guy out, offer up some things you think might pique my interest!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #5776
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fanatical has a deal on CIV 6 right now-get the base game, 6 DLC, and 2 expansions for $40

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-30-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #5777
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
ok, looking for a new game to really grab me and give me an in depth experience.

I do not enjoy first person shooters
I'm not a huge fan of MMO, though I used to play everquest
I like RTS but other than Starcraft I've never hit one that I loved as much as that.(I dislike the newest incarnation as well)

X-com (all flavors)
Sports sims
Blood Bowl

Civ like space 4x games, I've tried many but they all get bogged down in too much detail, too much micro management

SO, all you game gurus, help a guy out, offer up some things you think might pique my interest!

Inside the box:
  • Stellaris for space 4x, though it can definitely get micro-managey and has a fairly high barrier for entry because, Paradox. Excellent game once you start learning the systems.
  • Motorsport Manager is a pretty great F1 racing sim.
  • The Shadowrun series is slightly X-Com-ish with a cyberpunk, RPG feel.

Outside the box:
  • On the action side of things, Bastion is phenomenal, though short.
  • Terraria is a pretty great 2d, platform-ish adventure / crafting / RPG game that plays very well solo.
  • Even further on the action side of things (bring a controller), Dead Cells is a fantastic rogue-like side-scrolling action RPG.
  • Along the lines of Terraria, though it's much more sedate than your typical action-RPG, Stardew Valley is a farming / crafting / action-RPG that is simply delightful.
  • If you are at all into city-builders, Banished is an excellent twist on the typical style where you are given a group of exiled travelers and need to create a town. Much more focused on individual villagers / citizens than something like SimCity or Cities: Skylines, this is also set in a vague, rustic past where cutting edge technology is a windmill.
  • If you are into reading, Sunless Sea is one of the most well-written (also one of the most written - seriously, so. many. words.) games I've ever played. Set in a Victorian Gothic (read: Lovecraftian) subterranean ocean in a world known as Fallen London, you pilot a ship and explore the unknown.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #5778
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
[*]If you are at all into city-builders, Banished is an excellent twist on the typical style where you are given a group of exiled travelers and need to create a town. Much more focused on individual villagers / citizens than something like SimCity or Cities: Skylines, this is also set in a vague, rustic past where cutting edge technology is a windmill.

This looks really interesting. It almost seems like managing one of the settled colonies in Sid Meier's Colonization. Have you ever played that and would that be a fair comparison?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #5779
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Colonization is one of the few Sid Meier games that I haven't played, so I am unfortunately not a good voice for comparison of the games.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 PM   #5780
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
[*]If you are into reading, Sunless Sea is one of the most well-written (also one of the most written - seriously, so. many. words.) games I've ever played. Set in a Victorian Gothic (read: Lovecraftian) subterranean ocean in a world known as Fallen London, you pilot a ship and explore the unknown.[/list]

I can't recall the name of internet precursor to Sunless Sea but I can definitely vouch for the well-written part of it.

*Google tells me that the browser based version was called Fallen London
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #5781
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've bounced hard off of many attempts to get into the sunless seas/skies/fallen london stuff. I'm guessing maybe I don't make it far enough in for it to get interesting, but I never seemed to tap any of the detail or writing that all the glowing reviews mention and I felt like I kept reading the same couple-dozen paragraphs a hundred times over.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #5782
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR

X-com (all flavors)
Sports sims
Blood Bowl

You may wish to consider AI War 2. Currently 40% off on Steam for literally another day and a half so if you want to try it, try it soon. I personally think for $12 it's a total steal.

The original had too much micro for what you describe, but the sequel is a lot more streamlined with enough busy-work cut out to eliminate about 30% of the average playtime they estimate. The formula essentially turns an RTS on its head.

** Disclaimer: I do have a vested interest here, but I believe everything I just wrote above and the 89% favorable review rating on Steam isn't something many complex strategy titles can match.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-31-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:16 AM   #5783
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Battletech: X-Com with Giant Stompy Mechs.
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (strategy x-com like)
Nowhere Prophet: A Slay-the-Spire alike with card-strategy mechanics.
New Star manager: Has really good reviews on Steam, and is on sale for $5

Outside the box:
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun Ninja Stealth XCom
Old 10-31-2019, 03:17 AM   #5784
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and if someone wants to try Battletech, I have a key for it and the first DLC (the third and final announced so-far DLC, Heavy Metal, releases in three weeks)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #5785
JPhillips
General Manager

I'd take that if it is still available.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #5786
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

PM sent.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #5787
JPhillips
General Manager

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #5788
Thomkal
Head Coach

Costume Quest and SOMA are the free games at Epic this week
Old 10-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #5789
Atocep
Coordinator

I finished Disco Elysium in about 25 hours and I can definitely see people getting 30+ hours out of a single playthrough. Multiple playthroughs are going to be common as well.

The voice acting and dialogue are top notch. The story is solid. The gameplay is as polished as it can be. It's honestly difficult to find faults with the game without getting into personal preference as to what a game should be.

I played Torment: Tides of Numenera and I felt like I was just reading huge block of dialogue after huge block of dialogue. This game has zero combat and a massive amount of text, but the text is broken up and presented in such a way that I never felt the same way I did with ToN.

Easily one of my top 5 games of the year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 PM   #5790
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I finished Disco Elysium in about 25 hours and I can definitely see people getting 30+ hours out of a single playthrough. Multiple playthroughs are going to be common as well.

The voice acting and dialogue are top notch. The story is solid. The gameplay is as polished as it can be. It's honestly difficult to find faults with the game without getting into personal preference as to what a game should be.

I played Torment: Tides of Numenera and I felt like I was just reading huge block of dialogue after huge block of dialogue. This game has zero combat and a massive amount of text, but the text is broken up and presented in such a way that I never felt the same way I did with ToN.

Easily one of my top 5 games of the year.

Everything I've read about this game makes me want to try it, but I have no idea if I'm going to love or hate the gameplay.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #5791
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

WTF happened to my steam library GUI!?!?!?!2
Old 11-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #5792
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ruiner and Nuclear Throne are the free games on Epic this week

Elder Scrolls Online, Just Cause 4 and Cities Skyline are free to play this weekend on Steam. Big Discounts on Cities Skyline most every place it looks like
Old 11-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #5793
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
WTF happened to my steam library GUI!?!?!?!2

did you click on one of the format buttons? there are 3 modes
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #5794
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Ruiner and Nuclear Throne are the free games on Epic this week

Elder Scrolls Online, Just Cause 4 and Cities Skyline are free to play this weekend on Steam. Big Discounts on Cities Skyline most every place it looks like

I recently downloaded the EPIC platform hoping for a good discount on the new Anno game but that doesn't seem to happen (actually I don't see any discounts ever there, or am I wrong?). Also, I was semi-interested in Surviving the Aftermath.

Also, I have an extra copy of Battletech burning a hole in my PC pocket if anybody is interested in swapping something for it.

Edit: Also, all the complaining about the Steam GUI and platform. The EPIC one is 1000 worse. Doesn't even have a wishlist.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 11-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #5795
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I recently downloaded the EPIC platform hoping for a good discount on the new Anno game but that doesn't seem to happen (actually I don't see any discounts ever there, or am I wrong?). Also, I was semi-interested in Surviving the Aftermath.

Also, I have an extra copy of Battletech burning a hole in my PC pocket if anybody is interested in swapping something for it.

Edit: Also, all the complaining about the Steam GUI and platform. The EPIC one is 1000 worse. Doesn't even have a wishlist.

The Epic one also takes forever to download compared to the others at least for me. I have seen the Anno game discounted but not in a while
Old 11-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #5796
Thomkal
Head Coach

If you preregister for the upcoming mobile version of Black Desert Online, they will give you a code to get (I think) a free version of BDO on the platform of your choice. I may (or may not) have an extra code for NA/EU for the PC if interested. PM me.

Black Desert MOBILE - Official Website
Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #5797
tarcone
Coordinator

Best City Builder?

Im looking at Atomic Society. It is early access, but looks like a lot of fun

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #5798
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Best City Builder?

Im looking at Atomic Society. It is early access, but looks like a lot of fun

got some horrible reviews though.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #5799
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Messenger is the free game at Epic this week
Old 11-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #5800
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Think I'm going to get lost in Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition tomorrow. I didn't even know this was released yesterday.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote