Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #201
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Balldog,

Question - do we really want to RS QB Leslie Harper? I'll defer to you, but he looks like one of those walkon/troublemaker/never lives up to his potential kind of guys. Let me know what you think, but he looks like a guy we may want to eventually cut, or at least run through his 4 years as quickly as possible.

I was basing that decision on CW's recommendation, if you feel otherwise that is fine by me. I have no objection to taking the redshirt from him.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 AM   #202
CraigSca
Pro Starter

CW, what do you think about Lee Harper? It's my understanding he was also mouthing off to a professor last week.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #203
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have taken a look at the recruiting class at DT -- and I'm at a loss to identify a real "prime target" who fits all our needs and is at all cllose to NC. I'll prepare some more detailed comments ... but we might not have a suitable guy to go at or near the top of our recruitin target list there, despite our intentions to do so.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #204
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I still wonder if he wouldn't develop into a studly QB, but you're right
about the fact that he's a cancer. ('Course, all of our quarterbacks
are scholastic disasters waiting to happen.) I can go either way on this
case.

If you drop the redshirt on him, though, we'll need to get a good freshman
QB into our system rapidly. I've always been a big fan of starting a solid
redshirt + 4 year quarterback and letting him develop on the field, and if
we can nab one of the guys I've got earmarked this year, I'll sleep easier.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #205
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Give me your gut feeling. Despite the extra coaching we'll need to expend on him to keep him in line, do you think he's worth trying to develop? I'm willing to give it a shot if you think he'll pan out.
how do you know?

Old 09-21-2004, 02:17 PM   #206
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'd like to give him a season to see if he shows any development going into next year. He looks good enough to me to give him a year, preferably redshirted, but if you don't want to redshirt him, try and get him a couple junk time snaps.

If he shows no development, or his potentials drop, then we write him off. But as our QB's are all cancerous wretches, so I don't like the idea of axing him for that reason alone.

All of this changes if we nab a good high school prospect, I might add. But I'd like to work with him this season and see how he turns out. Worth a gamble.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #207
QuikSand
lolzcat

My general feeling at QB is, unless it's a really top priority, that it's a great position to come back to after several weeks of recruitinng, and see who is "falling through the cracks." I frequently have found starting caliber guys thet way, without even pursuing them in the first few weeks of recruiting.

Just FWIW, in general.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #208
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's a shame we don't get Ohio in week 2 or something. That way we could give Lee some junk snaps early on. I'm a little concerned about doing that in our first game ever, however.
how do you know?

Old 09-21-2004, 03:28 PM   #209
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I still say redshirt him and the other guy I recommended redshirting in my long report, get a walk on 3rd stringer, and see what happens. Our walk on that's generated can't be any more of a dufus than the 4 guys we already got, anyway.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #210
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Sorry about the delay. I'll have the OL up tonight. Normally, I won't have this kind of delay. Just had a busy weekend and all.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #211
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Offensive Line

Starters:

LT - Newt Lentzner: Newt is our best tackle at the moment. Although his current skills would make you believe that he is a RT, we need him to play at LT this season and hold down the fort on that corner. Hopefully this will help him develop his Pass Blocking skills a little more and make him a better all-around tackle. With a 100 endurance, he will probably get 90% of the snaps. Newt has three years of eligibility left. Newt has adequate smarts to get him through college with a normal study regimen.

LG - Nathan Matthews: Nathan is not our best guard, nor is he our best pass blocker, however, his skills complement Newt quite well. Hopefully, Nathan can help pick up the DL stunts that will perplex Newt next year. Also with a 100 endurance he'll be playing 90% of the snaps, next to Lentzner. Nathan has two years of eligibility, so hopefully he will hold down this position for until we can find a suitable replacement. Nathan Matthews should be served well with a normal study regimen.

C - Ricky Bednarsh: I have a hard time making this call. In training camp our two centers look comparable. Hein may actually be better, but we can redshirt Heiny to keep him around for an extra year if need be. Considering both players are comparable, I'm going with my gut and starting Ricky, we'll want to redshirt Heiny and grab a walk on to backup Ricky for this season. Ricky also has a 100 in endurance, so we'll see him staying in for 90% of the plays as well. Ricky has good smarts, but he isn't that motivated. We'll apply a normal study regimen for now, but we'll keep a close eye to see if he needs any help.

RG - Cedric Wayne: Without a doubt, Cedric is a great offensive lineman. I'm putting him on the right side because he is balanced and he can help out our RT who will need a lot of help this season. Hopefully Cedric will be able to teach some of the others what it takes to be a lineman before he enters the professional draft next season. With a slightly lower endurance we'll be looking to sub him out every now and again to catch a breather look for Cedric to play about 80% of the plays. Cedric is a bright bulb. Since it is his senior year, we can probably afford him a little extra time to spend with his girlfriend, Jean.

RT - Kevin Miller: This was another hard decision. Hugh Frederick looks like has a good future. We just need to make sure that he gets the fundamentals down. Kevin on the other hand has shown us some ability beyond pure potential in practice. For that, Kevin Miller earns the start. However, I want to see Hugh subbing in regularly to get a taste of the game. I'd like to divide the plays 70/30 with Miller getting the heavier load. In addition, Kevin Miller has some off-field smarts. We can probably take away some of his study time so that he can studu the play book a little more.

Backups:

C - Albert Hein (Redshirt): I hate putting this kid on the bench, but for the future of the school, I'm going to do it. Albert may be a little displeased with the decision. If Bednarsh sustains any meaningful injuries, we'll rip the redshirt off of Hein and put him in. Heiny knows the game. I've talked to him, and although he's not happy with my decision, he has decided to do what's best for the team. Not to mention, Albert needs to spend a little more time reading his comic books for his Comic Book Reading 101.

G - Glenn Buckner: This is one of those guys that scares me. He is dumb as rocks, but he thinks he can take the accelerated classes. Glenn will turn into an average guard, but let's not build our hopes and dreams on him. Truth is, this kid will need to hit the books a little harder as well. Buckner could serve as backup to the center position in a pinch.

G - Adrian Everett: Has a tight schedule this season with his Pokemon Training I class. Adrian is a walk on that has a future of being a backup guard in college and no career in the pros. No high hopes here. This guy's greatest talent is his ability to fog a mirror. Give him a little extra study time to make up for his lack of aspiration.

G - Kim Garay (Redshirt): Kim could have a good future if he applies himself. His skills are still very raw, but he could pan out to become a serviceable guard. Like, Glenn Buckner, Kim wants to soar with the eagles, even though he has the intelligence of a Dodo. Kim needs some extra book time this season and I'd like to see him study the playbook a little more to see if he can't grasp our system.

T - Hugh Frederick: Huey has star potential, but its only that, potential. He has three years to develop into a starter before his college career ends. Huey needs to be rotated in at RT as often as possible. I'd like to see if he can win the job away from Kevin Miller during the season. Hugh should serve as primary backup for both Guard positions, so he can spell Newt if he should need it. Hugh may need to hit the books a little harder as well. We've got a whole crop of players who think that they are smarter than they actually are.

T - Bobby Morton: Bobby is a walk-on that could have a career as a backup for our team. However, we can't tell if he will live up to that lofty potential. One might want to redshirt him, however, I don't think that we should. Bobby can act as the backup center if we don't get a walk-on at that position to fill in while Heiny is redshirting. Another reason that I don't want this kid to redshirt is that he is dumb and lacks any motivation. He'll need to hit the books hard. Let's graduate him as soon as possible.

-------------

With all of this said, if we have decided that we are playing for the future at the cost of the 2004 season, I would want to start Frederick over Miller.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #212
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
G Mack Moorthy
rank by position (state/national): 1/36
overall rank: 10/336
scout evaluation: 72 of 100
style: mauler (run blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: Hailing from Cary, NC just 7 miles away, Moorthy is solid, red graded player. I'd expect we'll see a distinctly strong run-blocker, and a so-so pass protecter given his strengths and consistency. He come from a solid high school program (65 preperation).
academics: 2.90, 975 from a high school of dubious quality (20) could be a red flag. we may end up wasting a fair amount of time keeping him on the field
final thought: may be a bit out of our league and comes with minor academic concerns

G Shane Sanderson
rank by position: 2/61
overall rank: 19/529
evaluation: 67 of 100
style: finesse (pass blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: 83 miles away, meaning some of our closer rivals may take away our "proximity" strength. Comes from a 'good' high school program (44), so he likely won't be starting as a true freshman. coded blue
academics: 2.84, 1077 from a very good (61) high school. should not be an academic concern
final thought: not likely to be a freshman starter, but looks to be worth pursuing. he shouldn't need an extra academic time, so he can focus on weights and film. Since we need impact and depth, we should at least give him a phone call.

Mack Moorthy would most certainly get a shot at the starting Guard position if we were to bring him on board. Our vacant spot at Guard will be RG, which I tend to favor a better run blocker if I can't get a balanced player.

Shane Sanderson would definitly need some time to develop as a starter. I'd like to give him a phone call to see what he has to say. I like both of these prospects.

Quote:
T Carlton Grevan good prospect from bad high school. solid academics. finesse
T Bo Blackwell mauler, solid prospect with great academics. PRIORITY
T Jared Cecava finesse, fair prosepect

I'd take any one of these players. Players at Tackle will have a season or two to develop before they break the starting line up.

I'd also like to give a call to Center - Orlando Force in SC. I've heard good things from his HS Coach.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #213
Balldog
Pro Rookie

OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN VS. OHIO - WEEK 1
Official

Code:
Depth Chart - QB / RB / RCV PT QB1 Spragan, Kenny 6 QB2 Amaya, Justin QB3 Walk-on FB1 Dodge, Pete 4 FB2 Sweeney, Earnest FB3 Hickman, Clyde FL Brodie, Trent 3 SE Wertz, Kenneth 3 WR Clark, Donald WR Forbes, Earl WR Harmon, Julio TE1 Mackie, Jack 5 TE2 Gilman, Kevin TE3 Rivers, Rob RB1 Macri, Orlando 1 RB2 Linquist, Gino RB3 Ramirez, BJ 3rd Macri, Orlando Depth Chart - OL / Kicking PT LT Lentzner, Newt 6 LG Matthews, Nathan 5 C Bednarsh, Ricky 6 RG Wayne, Cedric 4 RT Miller, Kevin 3 B T Frederick, Hugh B T Morton, Bobby B G Buckner, Glenn B G Everett, Adrian B C Walk-on OFFENSIVE GAMEPLAN Running percentage in normal situations 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1st Dwn 57 45 48 44 2nd Dwn 67 51 60 38 3rd Dwn 58 23 18 19 4th Dwn 59 0 0 0 Tendencies Willingness to go for it on 4th Dwn: 50% Willingness to run the ball inside the opponent's 20: 65% Run direction by percentage LE LT LG C RG RT RE 10 16 19 20 19 8 8 Pass distance attempt by percentage in normal situations Scr 1-10 11-20 21-30 31+ 12 55 20 8 5 Run Details Finesse runs as a percentage of running plays 1-2 3-7 8-10 11+ 1st Dwn 8 11 6 0 2nd Dwn 4 2 8 0 3rd Dwn 8 9 0 0 4th Dwn 0 0 0 0 Tendencies Use of option running plays: 0% Percentage of overall carries by position RB FB QB WB 95 5 0 0

Last edited by Balldog : 09-23-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:33 AM   #214
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Excellent job, guys. The athletic department has just approved the funds for a "Lentzner-Matthews-Bednarsh-Wayne-Miller" poster, as well as a poster featuring our all-everything linebacker, Herman Sanderson. We just have to think of a headline or nickname for the posters.

Remember, our first recruiting trip is set for 12pm est Friday morning, and our game against Ohio is set for 12pm est on Monday. Wahoo!
how do you know?

Old 09-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #215
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Balldog,

I completely agree with getting the backups a little extra playing time against Ohio. Good job.

CraigSca,

As for the poster marketing for the OL, I'd go with the caption "Shock & Awe"
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #216
MJ4H
Coordinator

I know this is not the first one of these "groupthinks," so I'm wondering HOW DID I MISS THIS? How freakin cool. I'll be reading with interest.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #217
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Defensive Gameplan

I'll be posting the tenative defensive gameplan tonight (or it could be from work if I get some time later today) as well as the initial time management recommendations and red-shirting.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:46 PM   #218
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Dola

Quote:
as well as a poster featuring our all-everything linebacker, Herman Sanderson. We just have to think of a headline or nickname for the posters.

Is "The Sandman" too cliche? It's the first one that came to my head.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 09-22-2004 at 04:47 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #219
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Is "The Sandman" too cliche? It's the first one that came to my head.

Yes, but that is what makes it a good nickname.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #220
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I have no game access until tomorrow night. T Bo Blackwell is my top priority, with the G Moorthy behind. I'll give a lot more info tomorrow night, but I want that in there in case the visits/calls are done before I have game acess again.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #221
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

CraigSca...here's the initial Time Management suggestions for the defense. I guess I saw somewhere that we're using 19 for practice time??? If this is not correct...let me know and I can make the proper adjustments.

Quicksand and Tredwell - I just posted some numbers using TCY Helper. If you have your own ideas...please post them and I will definitely make the adjustments.

Tenative Gameplan for Ohio to follow...

Code:
Tentative Time Management Defensive Line Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax Schmaltz, C.J. RE 19 20 26 16 19 Finch, Blaine LE 19 23 21 12 25 Carter, Timothy DE3* 19 30 20 12 19 Beethoven, Mario DE4 19 19 27 16 19 Davis, Leslie OLB4* 19 23 25 14 19 Davidson, Wayne DE 19 28 21 13 19 Finley, David DT 19 29 18 9 25 Branch, Myron DT2* 19 27 23 12 19 Lynnwood, Ian DT3* 19 29 22 11 19 Alston, Harold DT4* 19 23 26 13 19 Singh, Grant RS DT* 19 14 30 18 19 Linebackers Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax Sanderson, Herman SILB 19 21 24 17 19 Hollins, Neal WILB 19 21 19 16 25 Alexander, Ethan ILB3* 19 18 25 19 19 Poston, Levon RS ILB 19 15 27 20 19 Durham, Steve SOLB 19 17 24 21 19 Arnswaldt, Thurman WOLB 19 19 19 18 25 Roberts, Lorenzo OLB3 19 16 21 19 25 Perez, Marcus ILB4 19 19 19 18 25 Staggs, Darryl OLB* 19 26 15 15 25 Hoke, Erik RS OLB 19 15 21 18 25 Defensive Backs Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax Spaulding, Ralph CB1 19 22 13 21 25 Westbrook, Henry CB2 19 18 15 23 25 Montgomery, Jorge CB3* 19 20 17 25 19 McKenzie, A.J. CB4* 19 24 15 23 19 McNeil, Shane RS CB 19 29 11 16 25 Brooks, O.J. SS 19 25 14 17 25 Flynn, Bubba FS 19 20 19 23 19 Murphy, Roy S3 19 22 18 22 19 Cortez, Jessie S4* 19 31 11 14 25
Old 09-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #222
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Dola
And here is the much anticipated gameplan for our opening game vs the Bobcats. Since our game isn't gonna be until Monday...input is welcome.
Code:
Tentative Defensive Gameplan Primary Formation: 3-4 Depth Chart Defensive Line - (Playing Time) LE - Blaine Finch (2) RE - CJ Schmaltz (4) DE3 - Timothy Carter DE4 - Mario Beethoven NT - David Finley (3) DT2 - Myron Branch (2) DT3 - Ian Lynnwood DT4 - Harold Alston Linebackers SILB - Herman Sanderson (5) WILB - Neal Hollins (5) ILB3 - Ethan Alexander ILB4 - Marcus Perez SOLB - Steve Durham (4) WOLB - Thurman Arnswaldt (3) OLB3 - Lorenzo Roberts OLB4 - Leslie Davis *Orient LB by Weak/Strong Defensive Backs CB1 - Ralph Spaulding (5) CB2 - Henry Westbrook (3) CB3 - Jorge Montgomery CB4 - AJ McKenzie CB5 - Jessie Cortez SS - OJ Brooks (3) FS - Bubba Flynn (3) S3 - Roy Murphy S4 - Jessie Cortez Orient CB by placing top CB against top WR Double Cover top WR - 30 Double Cover 2nd best WR - 30 Run Expectation First Down - (84/82/68/51) Second Down - (84/75/54/47) Third Down - (85/35/25/30) Fourth Down - (87/34/20/32) Tendencies Goal Line - 50 Nickel Package - 50 Tendency to blitz - 60 Dime Package - 50 Prevent Package - 30 Blitz multiple players - 60 Blitz percentage by position WOLB - 19 WILB - 10 SILB - 25 SOLB - 19 CB1 - 7 CB2 - 4 SS - 10 FS - 6 Pass Coverage in normal situations Man to Man - 40 Bump & Run - 20 2-Deep Zone - 18 3-Deep Zone - 12 4-Deep Zone - 10

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 09-22-2004 at 06:48 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #223
vex
Grizzled Veteran

As the new special teams coach, I am requesting that we give out two scholarships a year for the punters. For the kickers, we'll scale things back and only take one every other year. I would also like two deep snappers on scholarship. That's it. Thank you.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #224
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

As QB coach, I request we take all the scholarships from the punters and deep snappers, and give them to the cheerleaders.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #225
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Quicksand (sic) and Tredwell - I just posted some numbers using TCY Helper. If you have your own ideas...please post them and I will definitely make the adjustments.

I have no adjustments to them -- but it's an area I haven't ever really spent much time with, so if someone has geenral advice to the contrary, I'm very open.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #226
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
As QB coach, I request we take all the scholarships from the punters and deep snappers, and give them to the cheerleaders.

QBs, cheerleaders. What's the difference anyways.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 AM   #227
Balldog
Pro Rookie

See above post for finalized offensive gameplan.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:07 PM   #228
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, as far as rectuiting targets go -- I can't find a truly top-shelf DT to single out.

But there is a defensive end who probably makes sense as a possible "top shelf" target. DE Chris Ansell is a complete monster -- very well-prepared, ready-to-play, very smart, and is actually from nearby northern SC (under 200 miles from us). Our scout rates him an 81/100, but with his preparedness (99 ath, 96 acad) he is rated as the #2 overall prospect in the country. He would be a huge signing.

I would advocate getting a call or visit to him in week one -- get our name on the list, and see what we can find out. Particularly if he values staying close to home, we might have a shot with him.

Other recruiting targets:

DE Richard Feliciano, TX - good run stopper, should have bulk to switch to DT
DT Bo Connolly, MI - best pure DT in class, would be a great fit for our needs
DT Joel Tucker, GA - nearby and run-inclined - might need a redshirt year to be ready
DT Casey Batista, NJ - run-stopper, pretty smart - decent target
DE Ronnie Bauer, TX - same comments, not quite as strong a scout report

I would hope that we might be able to include two or three of these guys in our first round of recruit contacts, and maybe all six by the second week. With knowledge of their preferences, we ought to have a sense of who we'd have a realistic shot of landing.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #229
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thanks for the info, Quik. If any other defensive coaches have specific input like this, please post it or PM it to me ASAP.

Questions for the Head Coach: how do you want the recruiting to work? Are we (the recruiting coordinators) "empowered" to make our own decisions, or just recommendations? Do you want to target black and/or red guys, or is that up to us? Any general mandates from on high?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #230
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Really, I'm looking for recommendations that I reserve the right to change slightly, but it's my intent to go with what my staff says. Although I play and like TCY a lot, I've never had the patience to deal with certain parts of the game (time managment being the biggest one).

I'm willing to go after red/black guys as well. I figure we can give it a shot the first week and hear what the recruit has to say. Based on the initial contact we can make a better judgment as to whether we're likely to pursue them or not. Mind you, I don't want to go for ALL blacks/reds - I think we need to be realistic as well. A healthy mix is what I'm looking for, but I'm always game to "hit the jackpot" with a really good recruit.
how do you know?

Old 09-24-2004, 01:24 PM   #231
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Remember, our first recruiting trip is set for 12pm est Friday morning, and our game against Ohio is set for 12pm est on Monday. Wahoo!

Any news on the recruiting front?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #232
CraigSca
Pro Starter

First Update!

Ok...here's the rundown of week #1!

First, I did not input time management numbers for quarterbacks, runningbacks and special teams because I couldn't find them anywhere. If I overlooked them, I apologize.

On the recruiting front, I basically took everyone's recommendations and did the best I can to balance them. I concentrated on the offensive line, defensive line as well as the cornerback we mentioned in this thread. In the future, if our recruiting coordinators could send me a list of guys they'd like to look at, along with suggested phone/visits, that would be great.

I changed the offense to an I-formation and the defense to a 3-4. I DID NOT put the gameplans in yet - I was in the middle of doing this and it failed because of a redshirt that would require a "new" walkon for the depth chart. The whole thing failed, so I decided to "bag" the gameplan until Monday.

Please doublecheck to make sure I input your recommendations. I did my best to get them all in, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally forget something.

Here's our first round of contacts on the recruiting front. BTW, you all have very high aspirations - lots of top 100 recruits

Code:
Position Name Rank By Position Phone/Visit Initial Reaction Coaches Impression Decision Criteria Visiting CB Wade Copperfield 180 12 1/1 a little surprised Better than scouted Prest*/Dist WR Antoine O'Donnell 63 6 1/0 delighted, plase about major, didn't like OC Acad*/Dist TE Jimmy Cunningham 115 5 1/0 surprised, pleased about his major Acad*/Prest T Bo Blackwell 272 40 1/1 a little surprised, pleased about major, very happy to see teammate on roster Better than scouted Acad*/Prest T Carlton Grevan 383 59 1/0 mildly pleased, pleased about major Acad/Dist G Shane Sanderson 529 61 1/0 a little surprised, didn't like OC Prest*/Dist G Mack Moorthy 336 36 1/0 surprised, extremely excited about proximity, happy to see teammate, didn't like OC Dist/Acad DE Chris Ansell 2 1 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC at all quite a bit better than scouted Acad/Prest DE Richard Feliciano 8 3 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC very much Better than scouted Acad/Prest DT Bo Connolly 43 1 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major a little worse than scouted Acad*/Dest

EDIT: New files are available directly from my signature.

EDIT: Sigh, you have to love the cut and paste from Excel. Anyone have an idea on how to fix the awful formatting?
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-24-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #233
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There wasn't any time management stuff for my QB's. I've always let the computer handle it personally, since it's never been something I'm fond of. I defer to the coordinator or the coach's decision, as I have zero experience in knowing what's reasonable for 'em.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #234
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Balldog,

What did you say to our OL recruits? They don't like you.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:33 PM   #235
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hell, no one likes our coordinators!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #236
CraigSca
Pro Starter

A couple more things...

- do we want to be able to ask recruits to visit us upon initial contact?

- let me know who we wish to re-visit/offer scholarships to based on our initial contacts. It looks to me that Mach Moorthy may be a "sure thing". That's good news. (I'll be leaning heavily on recruit coordinators decisions here - please get input from the position coaches and offensive/defensive coordinators).

-CW - I'm the same way - I HATE the time management, so I usually let it just fly. I'm so glad our position coaches are taking an active interest in this aspect, as I think it give us an advantage.
how do you know?

Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 PM   #237
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm very happy about T Bo Blackwell, it looks like we have every bit of positve momentum working there. Right now he is my #1 priority in offensive recruiting, despite the fact that he is not our #1 need. He just seems like the perfect blend of talent and willingness to actually play for us.

Can't wait to look at the game files tomorrow and suggest a course of action for Week 2.

edit: absolutely ask him to visit us next week.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-24-2004 at 11:55 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:14 AM   #238
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Special Teams

Punters

*Grant McCarthy - True Junior

Grant is rated at 44/57 and if it wasn't for our team being horrible at developing kickers, he would easily reach his potential. He'll be a 2 year starter for us, provided he can stay eligible with his (18) aspiration and (41) intelligence scores. He went to an excellent HS in Columbia(Irmo), South Carolina, but this season there are no prospects at Irmo High.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 27, Weight Training: 15, Football Study: 14, Relaxation: 25

Pat Hilton - True Freshman

Pat is rated at 25/58 and will be a career backup for the Wolfpack. The bright side is that he's a pretty solid student, so we won't have to worry about him at all. Pat's old HS is Princeton, NC, but there isn't a recruit from there this year.

Recommended Time Managment: Study Hall: 30, Weight Training: 16, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 19

#Winston Seau - True Freshman

Winston has an opportunity to be a very solid kicker for us in a couple of years as he is rated 20/75. He's a near genius in regards to his intelligence (99), but he's a slacker and his aspiration is a low (19). An interesting note with Mr. Seau is that while he is our punter of the future, he isn't on scholarship at the moment, so we'll need to get one to him in the future before we fill up.

Recommended Time Managment: Study Hall: 22, Weight Training: 18, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 25

Kickers

*Vincent Allen - True Freshman

Vincent has the potential to become an All-American as he is rated 51/97. Vincent will be starting this season, which should put him in a dogfight with Bolton for the starting spot next season. Vincent comes from Woodstock(Etowah), Georgia, where as is the case with every special teams player, there are no prospects this year. Vincent is a very solid Business Major who we should have no problems with.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 28, Weight Training: 18, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 19.

#Martin Bolton - True Senior

Martin is rated 73/91. Normally, this would make him a sure fire starter, but I want to redshirt Bolton and save him for next season when our team may not be quite as good and may require more FGs. If you look at both of the kickers attributes, it's really not that far of a stretch to play Allen, the true freshman. Bolton came all the way from McFarland, California, where there are no prospects this year. Bolton is also a solid student.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 24, Weight Training: 16, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 25

Key
* Starter
# Redshirt

Punt Return

#1 - Kenneth Wertz WR (JR)
#2 - Donald Clark WR (JR)
Alt. #1 - Ralph Spaulding CB (SR)
Alt. #2 - Bubba Flynn S (JR)
Alt. #3 - A.J. McKenzie CB (SO)

Kick Return

#1 - Ralph Spaulding CB (SR)
#2 - Trent Brodie WR (JR)
Alt. #1 - O.J. Brooks S (SR)
Alt. #2 - Kenneth Wertz WR (JR)
Alt. #3 - Gino Linquist RB (SR)

Last edited by vex : 09-25-2004 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:01 AM   #239
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Vex, did you have better success with week 2's files? I'm assuming you may have since you were able to do a scouting report on our special teams. If not, I'll see what I can do about making you an .exe file.
how do you know?

Old 09-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #240
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I got it. I just had to save it instead of opening it.

EDIT: And I believe Vincent Allen may be a primadonna kicker, I couldn't get his format off of bold

Last edited by vex : 09-25-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:24 AM   #241
vex
Grizzled Veteran

In regards to kicker and punter recruiting, I think that we shouldn't bother going after a kicker since we'll have two next year with Bolton redshirting and Allen only being a true freshman. If you all decide we should go after a kicker, I have about 4-5 targets in mind.

With punters, we're stacked, so no need to even look into this.

As far as recruits we're already in on, I don't really care for Antoine O'Donnell with his biggest weakness being kick returns along with his ratings consistency being "average".

With players we're currently not recruiting, CB Edward Fleming from Concord, NC seems like a good target as he is 111 miles away from campus, rated 64, athletic prep is 75, academic prep is 69, his strength is punt returning, his his ratings consistency is "low", so that's definite plus. Also, our local scout is "excellent" with DBs, so I really think we should check out Fleming.

I know I'm not the DB scout or anything, but I think we should check out CB Darren Miner from Rockhill(Northwestern), SC. He's rated 75, he's the 156th best player in the country overall, great grades, good attitude, good ath. prep (61) and academic prep. (71). And this guy actually has nothing to do with special teams

Another punt returner I'd like us to look at is CB Johnny Jolly from Hickory(Saint Stephens), NC. He's rated 67, great grades, good attitude, and good ath. prep.(47)

Last edited by vex : 09-25-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #242
vex
Grizzled Veteran

[quote=CraigSca]

- let me know who we wish to re-visit/offer scholarships to based on our initial contacts. It looks to me that Mach Moorthy may be a "sure thing". That's good news. (I'll be leaning heavily on recruit coordinators decisions here - please get input from the position coaches and offensive/defensive coordinators).
QUOTE]

I think we should go ahead and offer and request visits for Ansell, Blackwell and Feliciano. Copperfield looks to be out of our league, we'll just have to reevaluate him later.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:20 PM   #243
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Guys, in the best interest of the team, I think I'm going to bow out. My heart wants to participate but my available time is limited and I don't want to drag the team effort down with sporadic participation. Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #244
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Understood, WSU. I think a groupthink in TCY is a lot more involved than an FOF one, though admittedly that is only conjecture on my part. I think this pace will get easier as we move along - there's a lot to cover early in the season especially when we're trying to work through different offenses/defenses and directions of the program.

Again, thanks for the honesty, WSU, and sorry there's not enough time left over in RL to participate.

Vexroid, you're now moved from special teams coach to co-recruiting coordinator. I also think that opens up a spot for mckerney as special teams coach is he wants it.
how do you know?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #245
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Did we ever come up with a set number of recruits we want at each position?

I made out a rough plan FWIW:

QB - 1
RB - 0
FB - 1
TE - 1
WR - 0-1
C - 0-1
G - 2
T - 2
P - 0
K - 0
DE - 1
DT - 2
ILB - 1-2
OLB - 2
CB - 2
S - 1

Thoughts?

Last edited by vex : 09-26-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #246
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The only thing we really clarified was that we really need to make CB, G and DT a priority. This is a good list, Vex, thanks.

We have our first game in about 4.5 hours - any recruiting coordinator want to let me know what recruits we should go after/which ones we should visit again?
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-27-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #247
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Current Recruits

(Wait)CB Copperfield - Let's wait and see on him. He could be out of our league.

(Phone & Visit) DE Feliciano - Let's go after him.

(Phone & Visit) DE Ansell - Let's go after him as well.

(Wait) DT Connolly - Boston College has us outmatched here.

New Recruits

(Visit & Offer if he's good) - CB Miner, Darren (SC)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - DT Compton, Leonard (IN)

(PHone) - DT Salcido, Melvin (CA)

(PHone) - OLB Fairly, Richard (OH)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - OLB Richardson, Sammie (VA)

(Visit & Offer) - ILB Loomis, Junior (VA)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - S Phillips, Ralph (NY)

(Phone) - CB Gardner, Jake
Old 09-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #248
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow - I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get in any scholarship offers to any of our top pursuits in the first round. I hope we don't make that mistake again. I don't see any benefit to waiting -- if you're going to contact the top players in the country, don't give a week's edge to your competition in giving an offer.

Just a lowly position guy here, but let's get in an offer on any of the DL we are going to actively pursue. We're already a week behind two other teams for Ansell and Connolly, and one for Feliciano.

I'd think the same logic would apply to other positions as well. (Unless there's a save-the invites strategy that makes sense -- I've never heard of one, but it's possible, I suppose)
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #249
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Wow - I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get in any scholarship offers to any of our top pursuits in the first round. I hope we don't make that mistake again. I don't see any benefit to waiting -- if you're going to contact the top players in the country, don't give a week's edge to your competition in giving an offer.

Just a lowly position guy here, but let's get in an offer on any of the DL we are going to actively pursue. We're already a week behind two other teams for Ansell and Connolly, and one for Feliciano.

I'd think the same logic would apply to other positions as well. (Unless there's a save-the invites strategy that makes sense -- I've never heard of one, but it's possible, I suppose)

I'm with Quik, let's offer as soon as we know they are good. Like he said, there's no benefit in waiting.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM   #250
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Only one reason for not offering scholarships - it was a house rule (that I'd seen other people use) that I threw out in the thread and never really received any responses. From a personal standpoint, I'd love to bag it, but the silence was taken by me as an unofficial approving nod.

Consider it gone - scholarships on a first call/visit is now part of the plan.
how do you know?