Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #2501
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, if the show is getting bad... I just stop watching.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #2502
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I read both of those articles. They raise some fair points, but what a lot of people seem to be missing here is that the source material for this season - books 4 and 5 - have A LOT more issues in terms of narrative than this show.

They don't actually.

Quote:
I know some people say they continue to watch shows they hate because they feel like they've already invested so much time in a show that they want to see what happens.

That's basically it. And bitching about it on the interwebs is always a fun endeavor.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #2503
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't know about you, but I definitely don't spend 10 hours per year arguing on the Internet.

I'm pretty sure I've spent a few hours this year arguing on this thread alone.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-19-2015 at 12:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #2504
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm pretty sure I've spent a few hours this year arguing on this thread alone.

Maybe dial that back some? You have way more to offer the world, Imran, then your value as an Internet arguer.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #2505
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I read both of those articles. They raise some fair points, but what a lot of people seem to be missing here is that the source material for this season - books 4 and 5 - have A LOT more issues in terms of narrative than this show. There could be very similar pieces written about "how to fix" the books than the show.

To put it succinctly:

The difference in quality between books 1-3 and books 4-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> the difference in quality between seasons 1-4 and season 5.
Put me in the camp that disagrees here. Books 1-3 are certainly a much more cohesive narrative as a whole, but I don't see any big drop off in quality, and in fact I think 1 is the weakest book. I think most of the feeling 4&5 are worse stems from frustration at the wait between books. The last couple hundred pages of Book 5 were as thrilling and jam-packed as even Book 3.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #2506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe dial that back some? You have way more to offer the world, Imran, then your value as an Internet arguer.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #2507
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Put me in the camp that disagrees here. Books 1-3 are certainly a much more cohesive narrative as a whole, but I don't see any big drop off in quality, and in fact I think 1 is the weakest book. I think most of the feeling 4&5 are worse stems from frustration at the wait between books. The last couple hundred pages of Book 5 were as thrilling and jam-packed as even Book 3.

I liked 1 a lot. 2 dragged more for me. 3 was excellent.

IMO, 4 was an absolute slog. It was terrible. That was true regardless of how long it took to get to us.

5 was much better than 4, although it was also very bloated with some story lines that just seemed to drag (Quentyn Martell, Tyrion down the river and eventually to Penny--even Tyrion couldn't save that one, the Ironborn). Even so, I feel like 5 gets a bad rap. It's probably on par with 2 for me at least.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #2508
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Old 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #2509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
IMO, 4 was an absolute slog. It was terrible. That was true regardless of how long it took to get to us.

5 was much better than 4, although it was also very bloated with some story lines that just seemed to drag (Quentyn Martell, Tyrion down the river and eventually to Penny--even Tyrion couldn't save that one, the Ironborn). Even so, I feel like 5 gets a bad rap. It's probably on par with 2 for me at least.

The funny thing is I have heard plenty of folks with the complete opposite reaction. They loved 4 and hated 5 - with the exception of the end of 5 where the storylines came together again. I wouldn't say its 50-50, but maybe 60-40 in the preference of 5 over 4.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #2510
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
They don't actually.

From a quick search around, the 4th has been quite definitely marked to be the weakest of the series while the 5th regarded as more of a "return to form". Of course, some of the gripe seems to be that key characters are missing due to the chosen format. And overall, the added complexity/page count while not moving the big picture along seems to be a criticism for 4/5.

In any case, while i agree that the show is a bit more "sensationalist" than i would like, fact of the matter is that 10 hours per season is an insanely low number to be much more subtle imo. This isn´t the Hobbit (talk about a book that is getting abused for sensationalism)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-19-2015 at 01:04 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #2511
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The funny thing is I have heard plenty of folks with the complete opposite reaction. They loved 4 and hated 5 - with the exception of the end of 5 where the storylines came together again. I wouldn't say its 50-50, but maybe 60-40 in the preference of 5 over 4.

I was always the odd kid lol

Old 06-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #2512
spleen1015
Coordinator

5 pisses me off. Set up a major intersection between 2 characters only for it to not happen.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #2513
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Of course, some of the gripe seems to be that key characters are missing due to the chosen format.

That much is true. Storm of Swords ended with Tyrion wisked away from King's Landing after his Trial by Combat, Jon Snow elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and Dany decided to stay and rule Meereen and then Feast for Crows doesn't include any of their stories (aside from Jon ordering Sam to go to Oldtown to learn how to be a maester).

Of course both Tyrion's and Dany's story arcs turn out of to be very, very, very slow moving.

The other thing I always found interesting about criticism about Book 4 is that it almost runs 50/50 as to which new area (Iron Islands and Dorne) a person likes better than the other - and invariably for a lot of those people the 'other' new area is a horrible storyline . There are people who love Dorne and hate the Iron Islands and there are others who love the Iron Islands and hate Dorne. Sometimes its strange to be someone who enjoys both (both areas are so vastly different in terms of culture and organization than the rest of Westeros).
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #2514
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I'm more in this camp too. I liked book 1, but not enough that I would have kept on with the series had I not heard from most people that books 2 and 3 were much better. And I liked books 4 and 5 more than book 1. By then, I was well immersed in the world and was more than happy to read through more character-building (in addition to new characters) and exposition than what was in the previous books.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #2515
Radii
Head Coach

I hatewatched How I Met Your Mother for probably the last 3 years of its run, maybe 4. I loved the chracters too much to stop and once or twice a year it would show glimpses of its former brilliance (or even competancy), but I *had* to see it through.

With GoT, this season was the weakest overall I thought, but I still thorughly enjoyed it. Book 4 was a miserable read for me and 5 was only a little better, FWIW.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #2516
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
They don't actually.

As someone who's read the first four books each at least 4 times and the 5th one once, I can pretty much confidently say they do.

And it's not like I'm alone in this. It is known.

The show has its issues. It's not perfect by any means. It definitely does rely a bit much on the sensational, there is an excessive amount of unnecessary nudity, definitely an excessive amount of rape (though there is plenty in the books too), etc. But the books, 4 & 5, in particular, are also not perfect.

This is easily my favorite series of books, if not books period, ever! And even I can see it.

Then again, I do understand this is the internet, and, sadly, people often loathe to be reasonable on the internet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #2517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know nothing, HB!

I'm glad that folks have come out after my post affirming that they as well think that Books 4 & 5 have gotten a bum rap. So it's not just me.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-19-2015 at 04:02 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #2518
SackAttack
Head Coach

The first book was the roughest for me, possibly because it was my first experience with a world with that many named and/or POV characters. I loved Clash and Storm. I'm alone among my local friends, I think, in liking Crows, but it's definitely the weakest of the five IMO.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #2519
RainMaker
General Manager

This could be good

'Game of Thrones' casts Ian McShane in season 6 mystery role | EW.com
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #2520
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Could he be a certain crannogman we've all been waiting for?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #2521
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Most interesting part to me was the link at the bottom of the page that said the HBO Dir of Programming said that GOT would be going "at least" 8 seasons.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #2522
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

‘Game of Thrones': Max von Sydow Cast as Three-Eyed Raven in Season 6 | Variety
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #2523
Grover
Pro Starter

Howland Reed is the High Sparrow/High Septon

This is a pretty excellent theory.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #2524
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Howland Reed is the High Sparrow/High Septon

This is a pretty excellent theory.

It makes for a good read, but I find it hard to believe no one would recognize him, even if he has been hiding in a swamp for a decade or two.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #2525
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
It makes for a good read, but I find it hard to believe no one would recognize him, even if he has been hiding in a swamp for a decade or two.

I agree with that. I love the idea, but I can't imagine it coming to fruition.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #2526
spleen1015
Coordinator

First time I have heard that one and I love it!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #2527
RainMaker
General Manager

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinbal...53578877964244
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #2528
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Game of Thrones gets theatrical; plus massive spoilers for season six! | Watchers on the Wall | A Game of Thrones Community for Breaking News, Casting, and Commentary

The key point:
Spoiler

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-11-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #2529
Grover
Pro Starter

Maybe that should be spoiler tagged...

edit: I've already read most of the filming rumors, but some might not be so happy to see them.

Last edited by Grover : 09-11-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #2530
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #2531
whomario
Pro Starter

Holy selling your own cliche, Batman ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #2532
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Are your bodies prepared?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #2533
Groundhog
Coordinator

Re-watched most of season 5 yesterday, and was surprised how many things I'd forgotten - mostly the stuff that was different to the books. Jon Snow's 'death' was a lot less ambiguous than I remembered, in particular.

I never enjoyed the whole plot involving the Sparrows in the books, but it feels even more sudden/abrupt in the show. If I were Cersei I'd be marching my Frankenstein-kingsguardsmen right back to see the High Sparrow.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #2534
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's back. Which means I get to say this.

...Well then.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #2535
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was a highly disappointing season opener for me. Especially the Dorne part.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #2536
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just annoyed me that in reality, it was like a 40 minute episode. 10 minutes of 'previously on', and ended early as well.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #2537
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Just annoyed me that in reality, it was like a 40 minute episode. 10 minutes of 'previously on', and ended early as well.

This.

Other than the Dorne stuff the whole episode was just non-essential set-up for future storylines.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #2538
PilotMan
Head Coach

Feels good that it's back.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #2539
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I thought it was fantastic. The very ending was a WTF, but the rest of it let us know that in no uncertain terms there is going to be lots of dead bodies this season. We got some war mongers on all sides that are about to unleash hell.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #2540
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Greatly enjoyed the first episode. Thought it was a great setup for the rest of the season.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #2541
MrBug708
Head Coach

I likes it. I've always felt Dorne sucked in the books so I don't care about their plotline
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 AM   #2542
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Can't...unsee...

Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #2543
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It is what it is. The setups are fine by me. I am hyped for the rest of the season, as I feel this is going to be a crazy ride all the way up to Episode 10.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #2544
Kodos
Resident Alien

I enjoyed the episode. Glad to have the best show on TV back again.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #2545
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I likes it. I've always felt Dorne sucked in the books so I don't care about their plotline

Dorne had a LOT of filler in the books that went nowhere, but at least Book Doran was shown playing the long game. Show Doran is a complete waste of Dr Bashir.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #2546
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Can't...unsee...

Enjoyed the episode but agree ... the last part was a little too much.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #2547
Kodos
Resident Alien

She was HOT!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #2549
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That was a highly disappointing season opener for me. Especially the Dorne part.

Agreed. It was almost like check-off for each other.

Dorne was silly - spend all last season building up Doran Martell, and ultimately have him die for no reason. At least Ned Stark's death was the catalyst for the game of thrones. This is just... Dorne immediately declares war on the realm.

Of course the interesting thing is in the books, Dorne is like 180 degrees different, with Doran impressively playing the long game - and likely to survive far, far longer (and esp not be killed by the sand snakes).
Old 04-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #2550
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Did we ever establish if the show is for sure finishing after 7 seasons?

Because if it is, there are definitely a bunch of longer-playing plot points they needed to start killing off.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote