Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #2551
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I had read this a few days ago, sounds like it's likely less than 2 more seasons (I hope they do just one final mega-season instead of trying to split 10 - 15 episodes across two years, but we will see)

'Game of Thrones' Showrunners on Series End - Hollywood Reporter
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #2552
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I really hope they don't do such a blatant money grabbing move of splitting it into 2 short seasons.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #2553
spleen1015
Coordinator

That felt pretty lame.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #2554
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I really hope they don't do such a blatant money grabbing move of splitting it into 2 short seasons.

Exactly. Which is why I am sure they will. And it will be crappy of them.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #2555
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Exactly. Which is why I am sure they will. And it will be crappy of them.

Sadly. Yeah.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #2556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think that's the problem of when you run out of source material. Showrunners just know the bare bones plot lines and have to write it themselves - that's a bit more difficult than adaptation.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #2557
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I enjoyed the episode. Glad to have the best show on TV back again.
This
Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #2558
Logan
Head Coach

Hmm. I thought the first episode was great.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #2559
molson
General Manager

This is the first live episode I've seen after finally catching up with the series, so it's my first chance to look at all of the online reactions. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but, damn, there's a lot of negativity. I thought this was a pretty beloved show.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #2560
Atocep
Coordinator

I was really critical of the early episodes last season, but I didn't have any issues with last night's episode.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #2561
Grover
Pro Starter

I was a little disappointed, but I think it was fine. A little too much Point A to B in a direct straight line, but in retrospect the closing scene with Melissandre was really well done, especially where it had people questioning previous scenes without her wearing the choker.

Also. Brienne + Sansa = Win.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #2562
Radii
Head Coach

I think the episode felt stretched kinda thin because they decided to do setup in every possible setting. I'm fine with that for a premiere though, it takes time to get things rolling and we know it'll be worth it. It was nice to see all the characters again, that's for sure!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #2563
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's hard to tell the history of a world that has so many significant pieces. There's an entire richly-layered show in several of the individual stories. It could go on for 100 seasons without running out of material.

So it has struggled from the beginning with moving back and forth between the story lines.

I'm afraid that when this no longer became based on the books, the show-runners made some decisions about which story lines wouldn't make the cut as the show began winding down. There seems to be some anxiousness in the first episode in making things happen along several of these lines.

History doesn't necessarily work that way. Game of Thrones is not a literary world where things happen all at once. Time is an important character. I think Martin likes to write a scene, then leave it alone for a few months before picking it up again, just for the effect that has on his writing. Now that we're past the books, it's going to feel different. Probably a good thing just to drop some of these lines (I was hoping Bran inside the raven would be one to miss the cut).

The one piece of story-telling I got out of the episode is that there are six strong women - Sansa, Arya, Melissandre, Cersei, Danaerys and Ellaria Sand. With the exception of Ellaria, all six are at a starting point, almost literally stripped bare (and the stripping or proposed stripping is actually part of the story for three of them, while Arya has lost her sight and Sansa was shivering in the woods). All six have some sort of grievance and claim on the world and presumably intend to lead.

It wasn't a great first episode, but I think there's potential greatness in this parallel feminist superhero narrative.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #2564
whomario
Pro Starter

It seems like there is just too much going on and too many different settings/places to go, to the point where the series format is getting stretched to what makes sense. It was, what, 5-8 minutes per storyline/place last night ? Hope that was a opening-episode thing and they get merged and/or divided onto different episodes.

EDIT: Well, like the guys above said more elaborately. Had written this 2 hours ago and never pressed "send"

Overall it was a normal first episode. Did anybody really expect tons of new developments with all the loose ends from last season with it´s gazillion cliffhangers ?

I thought the new Khal can be a cool character, best moment was his "best things in the world" ammendment to appease his wise-ass buddies.

Also the self-adressing of his meme by Jorah with help from Daario. The burning of the ships and the "well, we are not sailing for Westeros anytime soon" also felt like a response to the Internet/Critic crowd and makes me wonder if that is even ever in the cards. Maybe they simply all die on that side of the ocean.

Can someone remind me what the heck happened with that Dragon btw ? Why again is a woman with a dragon getting kidnapped ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-25-2016 at 03:08 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #2565
JPhillips
General Manager

Hopefully we can at least all agree that Jorah finding the ring in the grass was ridiculous!
Old 04-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #2566
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Hopefully we can at least all agree that Jorah finding the ring in the grass was ridiculous!

Jorah and Bran share the concept, at least, of having a high percentage of the First Men in their blood. Somewhat magical shit like that may be part of the character, though that did seem ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #2567
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No the ring was far less ridiculous than the fact that the Sand Snakes apparently SOMEHOW teleported onto Trystane's boat.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #2568
whomario
Pro Starter

I totally forgot about Bran, he´s going to need sceeentime as well. And then maybe we´ll have Jon Snow moving away from the wall and still the White Walkers are coming. Right now i have no clue how you´d finish this in anything under 10 seasons

Quote:

forget about the ring, even finding that field seems damn near miraculous. Unless that Dragon (again, where is he ?) left a track of poop for them to follow.

Also, how do we go from a facsimile of the scottish Highlands to a desert in like a few days ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #2569
PilotMan
Head Coach

It occurred to me last night that Jon may have gone into Ghost. We learned (in the book anyway) that a warg can transfer his life essence. That or the Red Woman has something else in store for him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #2570
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It occurred to me last night that Jon may have gone into Ghost. We learned (in the book anyway) that a warg can transfer his life essence. That or the Red Woman has something else in store for him.

That was the talk of the town (read Internet) for weeks after the finale While it´d be interesting, surely can´t be permanent ? wasn´t it established that Harrington was on set all the time ?
Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #2571
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
That was the talk of the town (read Internet) for weeks after the finale While it´d be interesting, surely can´t be permanent ? wasn´t it established that Harrington was on set all the time ?

Similarly, there's a theory that Robb warged into Greywind (his direwolf's name were also his last words, like Jon's) at the Red Wedding, and managed to get himself killed twice! Good times.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-25-2016 at 04:39 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #2572
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
No the ring was far less ridiculous than the fact that the Sand Snakes apparently SOMEHOW teleported onto Trystane's boat.
This was the only thing that really confused me. Weren't they all on the dock when Ellaria drank the antidote? Of course, I could have completely missed that two accompanied Trystane on the trip to King's Landing.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #2573
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
This was the only thing that really confused me. Weren't they all on the dock when Ellaria drank the antidote? Of course, I could have completely missed that two accompanied Trystane on the trip to King's Landing.

No, you're correct. The last time we saw those two was on the docks. Hell, I didn't even realize Trystane WENT to King's Landing at the same tmie. So um...what was his reaction when Myrcella died on the trip? Jaime didn't have anything to say about that? Did they take different boats? Bad bad bad storytelling.

And again, I'd also like to say...why the fuck didn't they do an about face right there when she was poisoned?

Show's handling of Dorne continues to be total shit.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-25-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #2574
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Ellaria wouldn't need to drink the antidote, because they spend their entire youth slowly building a tolerance. But she did kiss Myrcella goodbye. Was she in King's Landing? I thought that was a flashback to Dorne.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #2575
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

did they all leave on the same ship ? If not, why wouldn´t the prince go later than Jamie/Myrcella ?

In any case, it´s probably best not to think too hard about this stuff. They are going to heavily have to rely on the power of "suspension of disbelieve" to move the myriad of stories forward in a timely fashion (they also didn´t even bother showing how our 2 base jumpers survived, much less went unscathed or how the rescue duo got there f.e. )

And while i personally think the Jorah/Daario Roadtrip could make an excellent sketch and/or sitcom, do we really want 3 episodes of them trying to figure out where they need to go ?

Last edited by whomario : 04-25-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #2576
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I thought he was standing in the circle of grass that was untouched, surrounded by the mud where are the horses had been circling Danaerys
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #2577
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Ellaria wouldn't need to drink the antidote, because they spend their entire youth slowly building a tolerance. But she did kiss Myrcella goodbye. Was she in King's Landing? I thought that was a flashback to Dorne.
In the preview, they showed her kissing Myrcella and then drinking the antidote as the ship went to sea. I *thought* all the sand snakes were behind her in that image. So, unless there was a second boat, I didn't understand how they were on the boat to kill Trystane. The other explanation is that only one sand snake stayed in Dorn while the other two accompanied Trystane to King's Landing.

But, I agree that there's no point in getting too caught up in "gotcha" moments on this show. Just roll with it
Old 04-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #2578
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
I thought he was standing in the circle of grass that was untouched, surrounded by the mud where are the horses had been circling Danaerys

But thousands, or tens of thousands, of people were in that horde. Nothing would have been undisturbed and anything on the ground would have been taken or stomped into the mud.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #2579
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Why couldn't they get into a boat 10 minutes later and follow?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #2580
Groundhog
Coordinator

It seems to me pretty likely that the boat would've turned back to shore once the princess died - however it also seems pretty likely that Jamie would've put two and two together and wreaked some havoc if that happened, and the prince probably wouldn't have traveled on if they did return to shore.

It seems incredibly unlikely to me that Jamie (and everyone else) wouldn't realise exactly how the princess died, and who did it.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #2581
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But thousands, or tens of thousands, of people were in that horde. Nothing would have been undisturbed and anything on the ground would have been taken or stomped into the mud.

except the circle she was standing in, which they pretty clearly showed was untouched
Old 04-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #2582
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

That jumped out to me too. They watch the ship sail away from the pier, but somehow get to King's Landing at the same time as the ship (or sooner). I guess you could explain it away by saying that they got aboard a different, faster ship shortly after...but I think the most likely reason is lazy writing. If the plan was to kill Trystane as well, it makes no sense that they wouldn't have just poisoned him on the dock as well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #2583
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
except the circle she was standing in, which they pretty clearly showed was untouched

For that moment, yes. Once they tied her up and were leaving, why would the tens of thousands of horses leave that space undisturbed?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #2584
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
In any case, it´s probably best not to think too hard about this stuff.

Yeah, I learned that lesson when Littlefinger somehow traveled from Winterfell to King's Landing in about 10 minutes.

Overall I thought it was a good first episode.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #2585
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
For that moment, yes. Once they tied her up and were leaving, why would the tens of thousands of horses leave that space undisturbed?

Discipline?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #2586
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

The horde always ride single file to hide their numbers...
Old 04-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #2587
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

dunno, but they did
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #2588
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I had read this a few days ago, sounds like it's likely less than 2 more seasons (I hope they do just one final mega-season instead of trying to split 10 - 15 episodes across two years, but we will see)

'Game of Thrones' Showrunners on Series End - Hollywood Reporter

IMO they'll 'finish' the storyline next season, but then immediately launch a spin off series.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #2589
JPhillips
General Manager

I can not wait for the sitcom built around Pod and his wife running a tavern!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #2590
Groundhog
Coordinator

Everyone Loves Ramsay
Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #2591
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

'Twas the night millions of boners went permanently limp.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #2592
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #2593
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

On that note there are apparently 6 actors from Game of Thrones who appeared in The Force Awakens. Not to mention there's also the guy that plays General Veers in Empire.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #2594
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
they also didn´t even bother showing how our 2 base jumpers survived, much less went unscathed or how the rescue duo got there f.e. )

Everyone knows you do a forward roll at the bottom of a 50 foot jump... what?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #2595
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I can not wait for the sitcom built around Pod and his wife running a tavern!

Yeah where his real passion is suiting up as a knight, and solving problems for people in his town without revealing it's actually Pod the barkeep.

And one of the recurring memes of the show has to be women in his bar that have heard of his legendary sexual prowess flirting with him, which annoys his wife to no end.

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #2596
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
dunno, but they did

Whether or not it should actually have been disturbed or not, Jorah still walked over to the undisturbed area and immediately started searching for something, which means he either knew he should be looking for something (maybe that was a known thing they've discussed about leaving a sign she was in trouble) or just poor direction in not getting the actor to sell that for longer. I would bet on the latter but just throwing that alternative out there.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #2597
miked
College Starter

A lot of complaining about "realism" in a show with dragons, magic, giants, and more. I never thought the little Dorne boy was actually on the same ship, but maybe I just missed something. I would hardly imagine they would have killed him right away anyway since he was supposedly in love and had little to do with the plot.

Anyway, we're complaining about the probability of a guy finding a lost ring or riders making tracks where one of the guys is turning to stone because a guy who previously turned to stone touched him.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #2598
whomario
Pro Starter

Logic and "realism" are not the same thing and Logic and Fantasy not mutually exclusive

Just another fun one: How exactly did news of the dead Myrcella get back to Dorne ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Whether or not it should actually have been disturbed or not, Jorah still walked over to the undisturbed area and immediately started searching for something, which means he either knew he should be looking for something (maybe that was a known thing they've discussed about leaving a sign she was in trouble) or just poor direction in not getting the actor to sell that for longer. I would bet on the latter but just throwing that alternative out there.

On the other hand, everybody who ever saw a movie (or read a story or saw a play in case of GOT-land ) about a kidnapping knows that the victim will try this trick

Last edited by whomario : 04-26-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #2599
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just another fun one: How exactly did news of the dead Myrcella get back to Dorne ?

This one is fairly easily explained by Ravens.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #2600
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Don't know if this was posted before, but it's a fantastic article on how the show in the last few seasons completely misunderstands the Song of Ice and Fire's (and George R.R. Martin's) view on violence:

A Song of Ice and Fire condemns violence, but Game of Thrones is just plain in love with it

Quote:
The genius of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire isn't his prose — which is often rote — it's his world building, and his ability to craft a story in which every action has consequences and carries thematic weight. No act of violence just happens — it is caused, and that in turn causes more.

HBO's adaptation of the series maintained much of this violence critique in its earlier seasons, letting characters opine at length about the Mad King and Robert's Rebellion to provide the context viewers needed. But as we've plodded into the later seasons of Game of Thrones, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss seem to be abandoning this throughline. The shift is making a complex and thoughtful story into something of a boring, pedestrian gorefest.