Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #2451
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Jesus Christ is every game on Steam on sale? Not complaining I picked up Microsoft Flight sim 10 for 5 bucks. Haven't played FS in years.

i guess I can answer for him and say that no, not every game is on sale. Sorry.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #2452
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone play Ryse. The Roman Empire game?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #2454
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Steam Gifts

Ending in a few minutes. Only 2 entries so far.

Aww I missed it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #2456
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Do you or anyone else know if mods/expansions will work with the Steam version of FSX?

Based on what I was reading on the Steam FSX board, the guys who updated the game to be used by Steam said mods and expansions are YMMV, but that by and large they should work. I don't really have any to worry with since my last FS was I think the one before this one and I never bought expansions for it. My stuff was always free downloads like more accurate topography and stuff like that. Guess I'll have to re-download that stuff.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #2457
HarryLime
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Created a give away for FOFCers.

Steam Gifts

more to come in lead up to xmas!

this 1 wrapped up today! email sent to the winner with the code!

next on the lists starting in about 12 mins, and again for FoFcers only

Steam Gifts

Civ V.. base game only! good luck!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #2458
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Jesus Christ is every game on Steam on sale? Not complaining I picked up Microsoft Flight sim 10 for 5 bucks. Haven't played FS in years.
Ok I just saw that 6237 games are on sale! Gotta love it
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #2459
PilotMan
Head Coach

Grab Choice of Robots. It's $2 and change right now. No graphics, no sound, just an honest, pure text sim. A Choose your own adventure book on steroids. Many, many choices to make and it feels like you are actually in control of the story.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #2460
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Europa IV any good?

Keep waiting for FM 2015 to go on sale but no dice.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #2461
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Cannot recommend Valkyria Chronicles enough, it's a unique strategy RPG and has stunning cel shaded visuals. EDIT: It looks like I should note it's actually cheap right now from GreenManGaming with voucher code WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE, $12 instead of $15.

It's in my wishlist, but I have so many RPGs at the head of the queue before it even becomes one I consider, you know?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #2462
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is Europa IV any good?

Keep waiting for FM 2015 to go on sale but no dice.

Yup to both
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #2463
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Grab Choice of Robots. It's $2 and change right now. No graphics, no sound, just an honest, pure text sim. A Choose your own adventure book on steroids. Many, many choices to make and it feels like you are actually in control of the story.

I'm a huge fan of all the games by this company, Choice Of Games - not many are on Steam yet but you can play demos (and buy the full game) on their website - https://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #2464
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is Europa IV any good?

Oh god yes.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #2465
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is Europa IV any good?

However, I will give this warning: play all of the tutorials. You'll need to.

If Civilization is Dr. Seuss, Europa Universalis is Tolstoy.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #2466
Dutch
"Dutch"

During the Christmas Sale, March of Eagles is only $4.99!

It's a brilliant game that uses the CKII and EUIV engine but simplifies it to the point where you can almost play "risk" with it and you learn the basics of the gameplay. Once you play March of Eagles a couple of times, it makes learning EUIV so much easier...and once you've played EUIV, it makes CKII so much easier. At least, that's my opinion.

Order of Complexity of Paradox Games that I've played

1. March of Eagles (easiest)
2. EUIV
3. CKII
4. HOI3 (hardest)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #2467
whomario
Pro Starter

How would you rate Victoria II within the Paradox games ? Thinking about picking that one up (9.99 for the all-everything package) as i´ve been interested in that time period (mid 18th century through WW1 up till the 1930s) recently.

From the descriptions it sounds like the micromanagement aspect is on full display, which would kind of spoil it for me a little. I did however get along just fine with CKII when i played it, struggled with EU3 (and thus havent bothered with EU4 yet)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #2468
Blackadar
Retired

I am so, so tempted to pull the trigger on EU IV.

Enable me!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #2469
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

As a daily deal for 6.25, Might and Magic X doesn't suck.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #2470
Dutch
"Dutch"

At Whomario: I haven't played Victoria II for exactly that reason...too much micromanagement. Same goes for HOI3.

EUIV uses a much more streamlined game system than EUIII. It's much easier to handle. HOI4, due out sometime this year has learned from that positive response and is supposedly doing similar things to the WW2 brand to make it a more enjoyable gaming experience as well.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-21-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #2471
whomario
Pro Starter

also, anybody ever play "The Darkest Hour" ? (Hearts of Iron "spin off")
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #2472
tarcone
Coordinator

Im more of a turn based strategy guy than a RTS guy. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I own Civ5

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 12-21-2014 at 09:40 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #2473
sabotai
General Manager

The micromanagement in Vicky 2 isn't so bad. It was a lot worse in the first version but in the 2nd most of it became handled by the AI. You don't have to worry about your POPs (population, you just do things to influence movement between them) like you had to in the first one. The worse part of the game, and it kills playing as Prussia IMO, is the Sphere of Influence. As the US, England, Japan, Russia, it's...not horrible. But as Prussia, Austria or France, it just kills the game for me (Especially Prussia, it's a fucking grind playing Prussia in that game). If you end up with a Planned Economy (or State Capitalism to a lesser degree) government, you do have to micromanage your economy by building factories and railroads yourself.

I enjoyed Vicky 2 but I don't play it anymore nor did I play it as much as I do their other games. But it has so much potential and can be a much better game if they would redo how they handle the sphere of influence, work on how the global economy works (not a fan of the "world market") and a few other things.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #2474
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I am so, so tempted to pull the trigger on EU IV.

Enable me!

It's a one-more turn (year)...laptop ready...game perfect for travelers!

EUIV: The Aztecs (**COMPLETE**) - Front Office Football Central

Check out my short dynasty I wrote on the Aztec's to see some of the scope of what can happen during the course of the game. I wrote it while learning how to play. Aztec's are easy to play but easy to be destroyed too once the Europeans discover the western hemisphere. I've since primarily played on the other side of that coin, as the Spanish (Castillian first, you have to unify Spain in order to be called Spain) invading North Africa and the New World.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #2475
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The micromanagement in Vicky 2 isn't so bad. It was a lot worse in the first version but in the 2nd most of it became handled by the AI. You don't have to worry about your POPs (population, you just do things to influence movement between them) like you had to in the first one. The worse part of the game, and it kills playing as Prussia IMO, is the Sphere of Influence. As the US, England, Japan, Russia, it's...not horrible. But as Prussia, Austria or France, it just kills the game for me (Especially Prussia, it's a fucking grind playing Prussia in that game). If you end up with a Planned Economy (or State Capitalism to a lesser degree) government, you do have to micromanage your economy by building factories and railroads yourself.

I enjoyed Vicky 2 but I don't play it anymore nor did I play it as much as I do their other games. But it has so much potential and can be a much better game if they would redo how they handle the sphere of influence, work on how the global economy works (not a fan of the "world market") and a few other things.

Good to hear. I know that Paradox is really focusing on refining it's games playability, so this actually makes sense.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #2476
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

75% of Europa IV, just couldn't stop myself. Also bought This War of Mine yesterday.

Now to find some time to play them.

My targets are FM 15 and Divinity: Original Sin. Hoping for a bigger discount on Divinity.

Damn you Steam Sale.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #2477
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
75% of Europa IV, just couldn't stop myself. Also bought This War of Mine yesterday.

Now to find some time to play them.

My targets are FM 15 and Divinity: Original Sin. Hoping for a bigger discount on Divinity.

Damn you Steam Sale.

+1 on Divinity. That's my major goal this sale. I'm hoping for a 50% off on that.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #2478
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
75% of Europa IV, just couldn't stop myself.

I was ready to not stop myself since I haven't bought any DLC but since Art of War wasn't on sale I was able to resist.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #2479
tarcone
Coordinator

Ok, Ive been looking at EUIV pretty hard. Im on the fence. Civ5 is right up my alley. Im thinking EUIV will be way more complicated. Thus it may not work for me.
I really like the theme. And I have tried HOI and just didnt get into to it because of all the stuff in the game.

Would I be wasting my money? Or should I just buy Civ5: Brave new world?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #2480
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you aren't willing to put in hours to learn EU4, you would be wasting your money. Once you learn it, it's great, but there is a significant learning curve.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #2481
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I have been thinking about picking it up as well but I am finally starting to wise up. I have over 100 games but i have almost 3,000 hours in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I know the reward to learning EUIV is probably awesome, but I don't know if I want to put in the time to learn the game. Too many good games to play without putting in hours to just learn mechanics of a video game. Especially when 90% of my playtime will be in CS:GO anyways.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 12-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #2482
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Any benefit to the extreme edition or the full collection on EUIV? Having trouble seeing the details as far as what those other options would add to the game experience.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #2483
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Any benefit to the extreme edition or the full collection on EUIV? Having trouble seeing the details as far as what those other options would add to the game experience.

At first, no. It really depends on if you get into it or not. Which nobody knows going in at first.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #2484
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've got a free copy of Verdun if anybody is interested. Just need your Steam ID. Post it or PM me. It's a decent time killer.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #2485
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
At first, no. It really depends on if you get into it or not. Which nobody knows going in at first.

I know that some of the packs sometimes add extra map areas and things like that. Judging from your comments, it doesn't sound like I'd be missing big chunks of the game.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #2486
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Choice of Robots is awesome. It is rare (for me at least) to find a game that allows me a chance to have a voice that feels so close to what my own would be in the situations that are presented. I felt like I could actually play through this as myself, and I have already played through it twice to try an alternate path I had considered early in the first run. I figure I will try several other branches as I continue playing, because there are a lot of other situations where I wish I could go back and choose something just slightly different than what I did to see how that affected the outcome of things.

I like that the text only format not only allows for a good reading experience, but also makes it possible to truly change the path of the story with every choice made.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 12-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #2487
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I know that some of the packs sometimes add extra map areas and things like that. Judging from your comments, it doesn't sound like I'd be missing big chunks of the game.

Nope, most of it is stuff just to make Paradox money. But some of it is really only important if it interests you. The Conquest of Paradise pack is pretty cool if you plan on romping through the new world a lot, for instance.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #2488
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Choice of Robots is awesome. It is rare (for me at least) to find a game that allows me a chance to have a voice that feels so close to what my own would be in the situations that are presented. I felt like I could actually play through this as myself, and I have already played through it twice to try an alternate path I had considered early in the first run. I figure I will try several other branches as I continue playing, because there are a lot of other situations where I wish I could go back and choose something just slightly different than what I did to see how that affected the outcome of things.

I like that the text only format not only allows for a good reading experience, but also makes it possible to truly change the path of the story with every choice made.
I like the Choice of Series. I have in particular spent considerable time playing one of the games.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #2489
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nope, most of it is stuff just to make Paradox money. But some of it is really only important if it interests you. The Conquest of Paradise pack is pretty cool if you plan on romping through the new world a lot, for instance.

But you can still get to the New World in the regular game, no?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2490
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The only game I'm waiting on is FM 15.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #2491
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Correct

Old 12-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #2492
frnk55
High School Varsity

I'm tempted by Craft the world. Anyone have thoughts about it?
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #2493
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Absolutely, it just adds extra historical story-lines, cultures, and stuff like that...
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #2494
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm tempted by Craft the world. Anyone have thoughts about it?

Other than I love it, along with a lot of other folks?

We really need to combine these threads. We've discussed CTW extensively over at 2014 Video Games thread. Check it out before you buy!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #2495
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

We really need to combine these threads. We've discussed CTW extensively over at 2014 Video Games thread. Check it out before you buy!

Has the crafting method been changed? When I was trying it out I got annoyed and quit because of constantly having to click on a crafting recipe and then having to drag all of the ingredients into the grid.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #2496
PilotMan
Head Coach

Five Nights at Freddy's 2 33%
Alien Isolation 50%
Age of Mythology Extended Edition 75%
Spin Tires 66%
Shadow Warrior 90%
Skyrim 75%
Spore 75%
Portal 2 80%
Never Alone 33%

Today's first round of flash deals:

Craft the World 50%
Wargame Red Dragon 75%
Bound by Flame 75%
LA Noire 75%
Project Zomboid 35%
Grim Dawn 50%

Community Choice
Bulletstorm 80%

Like Steam?

Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #2497
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I like the Choice of Series. I have in particular spent considerable time playing one of the games.

After my recommendation and play through of Choice of Robots I went ahead and got all of their other games that are on Steam. Total cost was like 11+ but it was well worth the investment.

Like Steam?

Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #2498
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got a free copy of Verdun if anybody is interested. Just need your Steam ID. Post it or PM me. It's a decent time killer.

I wish it had a SP mode. Due to my multitasking I never end up playing multiplayer games.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #2499
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

Hmm...think I'll check out this game as a nice little break before getting back to stuff that needs to get done...

*5 hours later*

Damn you FOFC!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #2500
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I wish it had a SP mode. Due to my multitasking I never end up playing multiplayer games.

Same here, I much prefer the play at my own pace of SP.