Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

FOOL-H 1910 Draft Pool: Historical Review

Tilly Walker

- one of the first power hitters, slugging 17 home runs in 1920, 23 in 1921, and 37 (with a .549 slugging percentage and a .283 batting average) in 1922.
- For a time he was among the top ten lifetime home run leaders.

Steve O'Neill

- Steve had by far the most successful playing career of the O'Neill brothers, serving as a catcher for 17 years in the American League.
- When his playing career ended, O'Neill turned to managing and gained a reputation for cultivating talented young players, some of whom went on to become Hall of Famers.
- O’Neill was known for turning around under-performing teams, often in mid-season
- Legendary players who benefited from O'Neill's guidance included Lou Boudreau, Bob Feller, Hal Newhouser, and Robin Roberts
- O'Neill was inducted into the International League Hall of Fame.

Claude Hendrix

- According to "Striking Out a Baseball Myth", by Amy Geiszler-Jones, "Hendrix was a right-handed pitcher who "could work the spitball to perfection,"
- Hendrix had the distinction of being the winning pitcher in the first game in the ballpark later renamed Wrigley Field.
- "Hendrix’s link to one of baseball’s most notorious gambling scandals tainted his legacy in baseball. "Hendrix, the pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, had been linked to the scandal because it was events surrounding the Aug. 31, 1920, game he was scheduled to pitch against the Philadelphia Phillies that led to the hearings. Cubs president Bill Veeck received telephone calls and telegrams saying Detroit gamblers were betting heavily that the Phillies, ranked at the bottom of the league, would beat the Cubs, a top team. The Cubs switched their rotation and went with their better pitcher, Grover Cleveland Alexander, instead but still ended up losing the game. "A grand jury was convened in Chicago to investigate this particular incident, and during the course of the investigation the Black Sox scandal emerged. It never ruled on whether the Cubs/Phillies game was linked to gambling.

Ray Chapman

- He is the second of only two Major League Baseball players to have died as a result of an injury received in a game
- Chapman was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Yankees pitcher Carl Mays. His death led Major League Baseball to establish a rule requiring umpires to replace the ball whenever it became dirty. His death was also one of the examples used to emphasize the need for wearing batting helmets (although the rule was not adopted until over thirty years later).
- His death was partially the reason MLB banned the spitball after the season.

Last edited by Alan T : 10-11-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Interesting stuff as always, Alan. Thanks for doing this.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I always thought that Ray Chapman was the first and only player to die during a game. I am curious who the other is?

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I always thought that Ray Chapman was the first and only player to die during a game. I am curious who the other is?

That'd be Doc Powers.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
hyde4us11
Coordinator

I officially love reading these things. I have the utmost respect for baseball history. Baseball history humbles me. I have to ask a question though now because of the converstations we have had here. Does anyone else know if Doc powers was trying to be portrayed in Field Of Dreams? The doctor that saves the little girls life when choking I mean. Just curious if anyone else has a thought.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde4us11 View Post
I officially love reading these things. I have the utmost respect for baseball history. Baseball history humbles me. I have to ask a question though now because of the converstations we have had here. Does anyone else know if Doc powers was trying to be portrayed in Field Of Dreams? The doctor that saves the little girls life when choking I mean. Just curious if anyone else has a thought.

I don't think so in Field of Dreams at least. I've heard from people that the Bump Bailey death in 'The Natural' was based on his death however.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't think so in Field of Dreams at least. I've heard from people that the Bump Bailey death in 'The Natural' was based on his death however.

Doc Powers and Ray Chapman are intriguing my mind. Should be a fun day today. I need more info to add the baseball knowledge portion of my brain lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've heard from people that the Bump Bailey death in 'The Natural' was based on his death however.

I've read this, too.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
MattG
Mascot

Great job Alan. I've never been a big fan of baseball history but this league is getting my knowledge up little by little!
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote