Pro Starter

2007 was such a good year for movies.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:30 PM   #7452
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Eternals - 3/10

The first two hours of the movie was very boring. Additionally, there were to many characters for me to care much about anyone. The last 40 minutes of the movie wasn't to bad at least. The post credits indicated the Eternals will return but I would be fine if we never see them in the MCU again. This is a rare bad movie for the MCU.

Late to this and agree, it's a really bad movie.

With that said, I think they should have made it a show. The problem was trying to stuff so many characters into a movie. An 8-10 episode series would have helped flesh out each character a bit more.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #7453
molson
General Manager

I'm one of many men introduced to Downton Abbey through their significant other, but probably towards the top tier of that group in how much I enjoy it. Saw the new movie last night. This shit is so fucking pleasant!!!!

Even though there's kind of a lightning pace with the 8,000 characters that have to get some time, it's still just like slipping into a warm bath. I love when the gang reaches new thresholds of current events and technological innovations. And problems being solved very quickly through coincidences, simple advice, or the revealing of information that had no reason to be concealed in the first place. I want more!

All Creatures Great and Small, through 2 seasons on PBS now, gives me the same feeling. The perfect Sunday night show.

Last edited by molson : 05-20-2022 at 04:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #7454
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you like Downton Abbey, check out the movie Gosford Park from, gah, 2001.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #7455
Edward64
Head Coach

Top Gun 2 - 8/10

Walking the nth high end mall in Asia (primarily for air conditioning) and said heck with it. How many frakking high end watch stores can their be with their nicely coiffured and suited up door/security man. Saw a cinema and said I'll make better use of my time.

Won't do spoilers, handful of stuff to nitpick but go with the flow. Will comment more after everyone else had a chance to watch it. But really entertaining movie especially for those that remember the original.

In the first 10 seconds or so, I caught myself thinking, did I walk into a replay of Top Gun? That was fun.

Ready to buy the Blu Ray version for the specials!

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-26-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #7456
Austin90
n00b

Everything Everywhere All At Once. My god, they truly don't make movies like this anymore. Has to be the most creative usage of the concept of the multiverse I've ever seen, and man was it refreshing to see a movie so unapologetically goofy and over the top. Really tugged at the heartstrings at the end there too.

Easy 10/10 for me.
Austin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:54 PM   #7457
PilotMan
Head Coach

Top Gun: Maverick 8/10

I'll admit, early on, it was what you thought it would be. It's got some call backs, some which are good, some annoying, with some great flying. It also suffers from a bit of the same issues that the Phantom Menace struggled with where it needs a lot of backstory to really flesh out new characters, but there's not enough time to really make that happen without a 4 or 5 hour movie. So that's that.

Just when you thought that this movie was sort of long, and an enjoyable ride, but not amazing......damn.....so good, it ramps up and hits it hard and keeps going. Enough that my adrenaline was flowing. By the end, I was wearing a very, very big smile.

Well worth the first trip back to a theater for me. So happy I saw it there. I want to see it again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:22 PM   #7458
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd give the Chip and Dale:Rescue Rangers reboot movie a solid thumbs up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:50 AM   #7459
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin90 View Post
Everything Everywhere All At Once. My god, they truly don't make movies like this anymore. Has to be the most creative usage of the concept of the multiverse I've ever seen, and man was it refreshing to see a movie so unapologetically goofy and over the top. Really tugged at the heartstrings at the end there too.

Easy 10/10 for me.

Glad you saw it and liked it. I have seen two movies back to back that really 'go for it' (this & MEN) and even if it doesn't fully work for me at times, I appreciate the directors who are willing to take these big risks.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #7460
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd give the Chip and Dale:Rescue Rangers reboot movie a solid thumbs up.

+1 here. Nostalgia + tongue-in-cheek self-referentialism is a good combination. Took me a while to get used to Mulaney voicing Chip, but ended up enjoying the heck out of it. Solid 7-8/10 for me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #7461
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do not go see Jurassic World Dominion. Absolutely not worth your time or money. Seriously a 1 or 2 out of 10.

Spoiler

Last edited by Kodos : 06-12-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #7462
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I've seen some really, really dire reviews online about Jurassic World Dominion.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #7463
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Do not go see Jurassic World Dominion. Absolutely not worth your time or money. Seriously a 1 or 2 out of 10.
I should give it a 6/10 now, the same as Jurassic Park 3, but at least lower than the other 4 movies. I might eventually downgrade this one to being the worst, but not by much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Spoiler
Fair enough.

It didn't feel quite the same as Jurassic Park 2 and 3 as a plotline, but the number of scenes with dinosaurs in them is probably on par with those two. Jurassic World (1 and 2) had more dinosaur action, if my memory serves correctly. I see that as a warning for those that haven't gone yet, not quite a spoiler. It's also no spoiler that at some point in the movie the protagonists of the "Park" movies and the "World" movies will run into another.

All in all, it felt goofier, sillier and more far-fetched than the previous movies. I had a good laugh about how some scenes were too obvious in what will happen next, or if not, kind of "meh/wtf"-ish.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #7464
Kodos
Resident Alien

The good news is, with pretty much any dinosaur, if you hold your hand up in the "stop" gesture, they will stop. If only Donald Gennaro had known!
Old 06-12-2022, 09:27 PM   #7465
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Top Gun: Maverick 8/10. I almost felt bullied into seeing it, but was glad I did. We rewatched the original the night before, and this was much better.
Val 9/10. Watching Top Gun spurred us to watch Tombstone after. That movie is probably my favorite movie. Val Kilmer was such a force, and to think of him not able to speak now is just heartbreaking. This is his story in his own words mostly spoken by his son. It is funny, nostalgic and sweet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-13-2022 at 05:40 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:06 AM   #7466
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Top Gun: Maverick 8/10. I almost felt bullied into seeing it, but was glad I did. We rewatched the original the night before, and this was much better.
Val 9/10. Watching Top Gun spurred us to watch Tombstone after. That movie is probably my favorite movie. Val Kilmer was such a force, and to think of him not able to speak now is just heartbreaking. This is his story in his own words mostly spoken by hid son. It is funny, nostalgic and sweet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Gun Maverick > Top Gun (original).

I did buy Top Gun 4k format for my collection. I was disappointed that it really wasn't that great transfer to 4k. But yeah, going to get Top Gun Maverick in 4k when it comes out ... and it will be glorious!
Old 06-13-2022, 02:07 AM   #7467
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, I've seen some really, really dire reviews online about Jurassic World Dominion.

Yeah so have I. But it's one of those have to watch. So maybe when it comes down to $5 on Amazon Prime.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #7468
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jurassic Park: Whatever the fuck it's called

5.5/10

Well, I really, really wanted to like it. Big fan of most of the series, but honestly, the last one was kind of shit too, and I didn't even remember watching it when we watched it before this one.

So...it's totally predictable. It's got a plot, and it's got some tech, and it's got chases, and action. So I'm watching this movie thinking it's really lacking a lot of what made Jurassic Park good and fun. There was far less humor than there should have been. There was some contrived plot.

What it really is is this. Do you like the Bourne movies? Do you like Dinosaurs? Then you'll like this. Because that's really all it is. Chases, and fights where the main characters probably don't get hurt. Enjoy.

Like Steam?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #7469
Edward64
Head Coach

Batman (2022) - 7/10

I like the direction the new Batman is going. A more realistic Batman that can get hit, injured etc. I love the shotgun scene! But on the other hand, don't they know to aim for the face?

I also like how it spent time building character (learning more about the family) although the thing with Catwoman could have been a little slower.

But a little too moody/brooding for me and not enough action. Maybe another 3-4 fight scenes along the way.

Giving it a 7 which is borderline buy it for my BR collection. But looking forward to the next one
Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #7470
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
No Time to Die - 8/10

A solid Bond movie. A worthy ending for Bond, James Bond. Son and I both agreed it was time, Daniel Craig was looking a little too boomerish.

Not sure I like the new 007 but I'm sure I'll watch her. She had some nice fight scenes (or at least her stunt double did).

Re-watched this tonight on Prime. Think I got it right with 8/10. A little convoluted and a little to deus ex machina with Spectre but good action. Will miss Daniel Craig, think he is my favorite (all the others had ridiculous hand to hand combat, fight scenes).
Old 07-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #7471
Edward64
Head Coach

Thor: Love & Thunder - 8/10

Haven't seen it yet but am looking forward to it. A female Thor! and its Natalie Portman! Glad she is doing well since the Star Wars prequel (vs Hans).

I've taken some spice for my prescient and predicting an 8/10.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:46 AM   #7472
Edward64
Head Coach

Ambulance - 6.5/10

This falls under my 7 threshold to "yes, I'll add to BR collection". Regardless, an entertaining movie and worthwhile at Redbox prices.

The car crashes were over the top and got to the point where it was distracting. Action was good but the "banter" among all the differing actors made the film for me. Clever & witty.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-11-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #7473
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Haven't seen it yet but am looking forward to it. A female Thor! and its Natalie Portman! Glad she is doing well since the Star Wars prequel (vs Hans).

I saw this over the weekend. I want to give it a 6.5/10 or so.

I think my general thought is that Chris Hemsworth is so damn likable and charismatic, that he can carry a movie into good territory on his own, but they had Natalie Portman, Russell Crowe, and Christian Bale as supporting cast and somehow failed to utilize all three as well as the could have. Bale was fine, Portman was fine but seemed awkward with the comedy portions, and I can't believe that Crowe even agreed to be in the movie. I really like the Valkyrie character and thought the kids were actually pretty good (I liked that storyline). The Korg stuff is getting into Jar Jar Binks territory for me, which is unfortunate because he was pretty cool as a gag here and there, but not so much as a main character.

I hope Hemsworth sticks around to be a flag bearer for Marvel for the next 10-15 years. I did think these were two of the best med- and end-credits scenes in awhile - a good set up for the future and nice closure for a couple of characters played by great actors.

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-11-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #7474
Edward64
Head Coach

Speaking about Chris, a cool pic

'Thor' star Chris Hemsworth: My daughter is 'favorite superhero'
Old 07-15-2022, 08:16 AM   #7475
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't watch movies, but I may come out of retirement for this one.

Rather than a straight-up horror flick, I hope this is some kind of low-energy, depressing dystopian nightmare where Barney ends up snorting lines of coke with Eeyore, Eeyore ODs and Barney puts a shotgun in his mouth while trying to figure out how to reach the trigger with his short arms (hey, I enjoy a little levity now and then), and we finally hear a shot while the credits begin to role.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #7476
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Isn't this kindof the concept of Death to Smoochy?

Although, I guess that was the idea that everyone around Smoochy was a jerk but Ed Norton's character was super genuine and likeable until he snaps.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #7477
Edward64
Head Coach

Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6/10

This movie was way too confusing and will require a couple more watching's before I understand it. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I'll have to read reviews that explains it to me. Not one for my BR collection.

The plot is confusing & bad. The action scenes were pretty good. Michelle Yeoh was fantastic. She showed acting depth (?) and versatility that I did not know she had. I just wish it was in a better movie.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #7478
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6/10

This movie was way too confusing and will require a couple more watching's before I understand it. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I'll have to read reviews that explains it to me. Not one for my BR collection.

The plot is confusing & bad. The action scenes were pretty good. Michelle Yeoh was fantastic. She showed acting depth (?) and versatility that I did not know she had. I just wish it was in a better movie.

Universally adored indie movie.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #7479
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Universally panned Marvel popcorn movie.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #7480
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Universally panned Marvel popcorn movie.

Sure but $500M (and counting) can buy a bunch of popcorn
Old 07-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #7481
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Natalie Portman looks good in that thor-suit.

Then again she looks good in pretty much anything.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:17 PM   #7482
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I would say mixed reception is a better term. It's 68% on RT (and 78% audience score) which isn't great, but better than Eternals, which would be a better example of a universally panned movie.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #7483
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Morbius waves from the depths of RT.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #7484
Edward64
Head Coach

New D&D movie showcased at ComicCon. Stars Chris Pine & Michelle Rodriguez.

All the D&D movies I've seen have been "lacking" in acting, costumes, special effects, dialog, and hope this one breaks the mold and starts a series of fantasy genre movies.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) - IMDb
Old 07-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #7485
tarcone
Coordinator

Just saw Where the Crawdads Sing (9/10)

This was a movie I went into expecting little. It far exceeded that expectation.
Great back ground, really good acting, great story, if sad. And a solid mystery. And a good romantic edge.

Mrs. tarcone finished the book so we went tot he matinees.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #7486
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nope - 9/10

Fair warning, I wanted to go into this liking it and it did not disappoint. Typical Peele fashion a nice slow burn with great character development. A movie that gives you a story and builds around it while building on complexity and complexity of the different characters. There's more than enough to keep you wondering what's coming next. The previews really do give you an idea of what you're in for, however it does not give the game away, and they don't detract from the expectations either. This is not one of those movies where all the good parts were in the previews.

The human element is definitely at play here, how people deal with tragedy, the struggle and pressure to make something of yourself, the marginalization of people who are sorted by expectation of their 'cover', and relationships in general.

Good humor, action, and Peele proves he's a master of tension and expectation. It's so much more than just fear and jump scares. Top notch, will be one you can put on whenever it's on the TV and get into.

Like Steam?

Old 07-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #7487
PilotMan
Head Coach

I should also add that they had the preview for "TILL" and it looks just as emotional and painful to watch as you'd think.

Like Steam?

Old 08-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #7488
Edward64
Head Coach

Batgirl - 1/10

With the studio refusing to release it, it must be really, really bad. It makes me want to watch it even more now.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #7489
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Batgirl - 1/10

With the studio refusing to release it, it must be really, really bad. It makes me want to watch it even more now.

Apparently this report is somewhat inaccurate.

Why wouldn’t Warner Bros. just release Batgirl on HBO Max? - Polygon

TLDR: Batgirl was made with a straight to HBO Max budget of about $90 mil and the new head guy wants all DC movies to be big budget theatrical releases to compete with the MCU. It doesn't sound like it's a great movie by any means, but it wasn't good enough for a theatrical release and therefore it's going to be buried.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #7490
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s an accounting loophole that expires in the middle of the month I read.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #7491
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It’s an accounting loophole that expires in the middle of the month I read.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it made it eventually made it's way to HBO Max and got a lot of positive pub because it's not as bad as it was made out to be.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:05 AM   #7492
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it made it eventually made it's way to HBO Max and got a lot of positive pub because it's not as bad as it was made out to be.

Unclear but I suspect they'd lose the accounting advantage described in the article. Basically they seem to feel like the write-off is worth more than they could make back by releasing it.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #7493
Edward64
Head Coach

Jurassic World: Dominion - 7.5/10

Finally came out (free on Peacock) and watched it last night. I know there are some haters here but thought it was pretty much same formula as the other movies but with better special effects and bringing together the old/new characters.

I enjoyed it.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #7494
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm that guy. I think I have only watched the first Jurassic Park. I'm not really sure if I even watched all of it or I just have seen some many cuts from it that I think I have watched it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #7495
molson
General Manager

We are really in a black hole of new movie releases. Kind of a bummer when you're a Regal Unlimited subscriber and are used to going twice a week at least.

Top Gun is the first movie ever to be #1 at the box office July 4th and Labor Day. (And the Jaws re-release was #8 this weekend, and had the #1 per-theater average of any movie).

I did really enjoy the B-movie insanity of "Fall". But I'm a big fan of the sub-genre of "people do stupid shit and put themselves in survival situations". Bullet Train was a blast too.

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #7496
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is a Jaws re-release?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #7497
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There is a Jaws re-release?

Yup - meaning literally the original movie playing widely at theaters in 2022 (including in Imax and the other premium formats)

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #7498
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Finally watched it on Disney+ today. I'll change my rating to 7/10.

Definitely entertaining and some very cool GnR classics (love them), and I'll add it to my 4K collection.

But I find the amount of irrelevant humor distracting and too much (the goats are BS, Asgard being commercialized is stupid). And I didn't like the "gods" angle, how in the world/universe/dimension are they all co-existing?

Regardless, entertaining movie. Just too much stupidity.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #7499
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Yup - meaning literally the original movie playing widely at theaters in 2022 (including in Imax and the other premium formats)

It was free on Tubi last month, so I watched it a couple of weeks ago - for the first time since the original theatrical release.

If you can put aside the dated special effects (the shark brings a few seconds of unintentional comedy - Spielberg realizing this in filming and using the iconic theme music as much as possible instead of the visual to great effect), it's a fantastically paced thriller with a rather thin backstory. Still, they realized the novel was even thinner and removed the worst of it (the affair between the police chief's wife and the marine biologist) so that audiences wouldn't simply root for the shark.

For a brief time, until Star Wars, it was the biggest box-office movie of all-time. Pretty much pioneered the concept of the summer action blockbuster.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #7500
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
so that audiences wouldn't simply root for the shark.

That's always been my issue with those kinds of movies. No matter how mean they make the beast/monster....I always root for them and am said when the humans kill them.