Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #10551
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks for the reminder. Ordered my free 8 test kits tonight.

Haven't used the first batch yet but figured if I really need to use one, I may have to do multiple tests.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #10552
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The thing about COVID is that some symptoms go away (like the congestion and runny nose for me), but others take forever to go away (the cough, fatigue and general shortness of breath, today I went to the front door, picked up a package, brought it in, and had to sit quietly for a minute till I could breathe properly again)
Old 07-23-2022, 06:24 AM   #10553
Edward64
Head Coach

More info on what Biden is on.

That's a lot of pills daily. Wonder what the out-of-pocket costs are for a regular person.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/healt...-19/index.html
Quote:
Paxlovid is an antiviral medication from Pfizer that uses two drugs: nirmatrelvir and ritonavir. It comes in pill form.

The US Food and Drug Administration has authorized Paxlovid for emergency use in people ages 12 and up who weigh at least 88 pounds and who have mild to moderate Covid-19 but are at high risk for severe disease.

The standard regimen is three pills twice daily for five days.
:
Clinical trials of Paxlovid showed that it reduced the risk of hospitalization and death by 88% when given within five days of the start of symptoms.

However, the drug was tested in unvaccinated people during the Delta variant surge, so the results could look different for people who take the pills now, with the Omicron variant dominant.

Pfizer has said the drug works well against Omicron, and additional lab studies have shown similar results.
:
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that when he got Covid-19, he took a five-day course of Paxlovid and was feeling better but had a rebound with worse symptoms. He went back on the drug and recovered.
:
Some scientists think that some people metabolize Paxlovid more quickly than others and that they may need a longer course of treatment. Research is still underway.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #10554
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
More info on what Biden is on.

That's a lot of pills daily. Wonder what the out-of-pocket costs are for a regular person.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/healt...-19/index.html

I have a friend who is a scientist who works for Pfizer. He says that there is a huge difference between the vaccine and Paxlovid in terms of production. The vaccines are not difficult/expensive to produce--they can pretty much crank them out assembly line style (Note: this isn't about how difficult/expensive they were to develop, test, etc. He's just talking about the physical act of creating doses once you have the product, which is the part of the business he is in). But Paxlovid is a very complex molecule and it is difficult to make, requires more specialized equipment, etc.

So his take was that he does not think that it will be anytime soon that Paxlovid is cheap* or just something anyone will be able to get from the local CVS without special needs.

*Cheap meaning cheap to produce. I could see various changes in the law making it cheaper for the public based in insurance mandates, govt. subsidy, etc.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #10555
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. Appreciate you sharing your friend's insight.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #10556
sabotai
General Manager

Three covid tests done, three negatives. I managed to avoid getting covid at that wedding just to pick up the flu there or right after.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #10557
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Three covid tests done, three negatives. I managed to avoid getting covid at that wedding just to pick up the flu there or right after.

Oof, that sucks.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #10558
sabotai
General Manager

And finally, I went to the doctor and it's not Covid or the flu. Bronchitis (with a side of Conjunctivitis) is the final verdict. What a fun week for me.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:18 PM   #10559
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like the epidemic started in the market.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/healt...-19/index.html
Quote:
In June, the World Health Organization recommended that scientists continue to research all possible origins of the Covid-19 pandemic, including a lab leak. Two newly published studies take totally different approaches but arrive at the same conclusion: The Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, was most likely the epicenter for the coronavirus.

The studies were posted online as preprints in February but have now undergone peer review and were published Tuesday in the journal Science
I know it's not politically expedient to say it occurred naturally (and not a lab leak) so let's see what Fauci/CDC says.

Quote:
Andersen said the studies don't definitively disprove the lab leak theory but are extremely persuasive, so much so that he changed his mind about the virus' origins.

"I was quite convinced of the lab leak myself, until we dove into this very carefully and looked at it much closer," Andersen said. "Based on data and analysis I've done over the last decade on many other viruses, I've convinced myself that actually the data points to this particular market."

Worobey said he too thought the lab leak was possible, but the epidemiological preponderance of cases linked to the market is "not a mirage."

"It's a real thing," he said. "It's just not plausible that this virus was introduced any other way than through the wildlife trade
Old 07-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #10560
PilotMan
Head Coach

The same people who understand this and still want to buy the lab leak theory, are the same ones who say gravity and evolution are still only 'theories'.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:55 PM   #10561
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's possible it could have been a lab leak in the same way that it's possible the Detroit Lions could win the Super Bowl this upcoming season.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #10562
Edward64
Head Coach

Or the Cubs finally winning a World Series

Wait a minute ...

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-29-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #10563
Edward64
Head Coach

September.

I'll probably get it right away but because the prior booster saw significant decline in efficacy after 2-3 months, wonder if it'll be better to get the shot in late Oct/early Nov to better prepare for Thanksgiving & Christmas get togethers.

U.S. to begin offering updated booster shots in September
Quote:
The Biden administration will begin offering updated COVID booster shots in September, Axios confirmed on Thursday.

Why it matters: Though efficacy data is so far limited, the updated boosters are expected to serve stronger protection against the new Omicron subvariant BA.5 —the most transmissible subvariant yet. It has quickly overtaken previous strains to become the dominant version in the U.S. and much of the world
Quote:
Both Pfizer and Moderna have told the Food and Drug Administration that they are prepared to deliver millions of doses of reformulated vaccines by mid-September
Old 07-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #10564
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That's sooner than I thought. I'll get one as soon as I'm eligible.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #10565
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If you've already gotten the 2nd booster, I guess you should have waited?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #10566
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't think so. I've read that second booster will not preclude you from getting this 3rd one in Sept.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #10567
Ksyrup

I might be able to get it, but I wonder if insurance will refuse to pay for it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #10568
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I might be able to get it, but I wonder if insurance will refuse to pay for it.

My guess is yes. The backlash would be significant
Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 AM   #10569
Edward64
Head Coach

US and EU are getting 2 different Fall boosters based on the different BA variants. Scientists don't seem to agree here. To me, it makes more sense to go with the more recent mutation (US) vs a "largely extinct" one (EU).

Quote:
Some countries may go with vaccines based on the BA.1 Omicron subvariant this fall. It's not fully understood to what extent the sublineages of Omicron influence vaccine effectiveness, but some scientists who advise the World Health Organization argued that BA.1-based shots would be "more distinct" than other subvariants.

Moderna said it's developing a booster for the European Union, the UK and Australia that uses the original strain and BA.1. The subvariant is largely extinct, but the company said its studies have shown that this booster candidate still drew "significantly higher neutralizing antibody responses" against BA.4 and BA.5 compared with the currently authorized booster
Quote:
In the United States, a vaccine updated for BA.4/5 got the go-ahead for fall.

Dr. Larry Corey, a vaccine development expert and professor of medicine and infectious disease division at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, said the data makes a strong case for the addition. Research on infections shows that the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants seem to induce stronger immune response than BA.1 and BA.2.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #10570
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't think so. I've read that second booster will not preclude you from getting this 3rd one in Sept.

third booster??? OMFG I need to collect them all!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:28 AM   #10571
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
third booster??? OMFG I need to collect them all!

You should be ahead of all of us on this-just imagine they are Steam badges
Old 08-10-2022, 06:16 AM   #10572
Edward64
Head Coach

This article made we wonder if we'll see a statistically higher drop out/failure rate in colleges in the next 2-4 years. Also made me wonder about other countries too.

Big cities in China being locked down also means their kids didn't attend school and probably didn't have access to as much remote learning?

Different & non-physical impact of Long Covid.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-sci...9b854355770a1a
Quote:
Across the country, there are countless others like him. Hundreds of thousands of recent graduates are heading to college this fall after spending more than half their high school careers dealing with the upheaval of a pandemic. They endured a jarring transition to online learning, the strains from teacher shortages and profound disruptions to their home lives. And many are believed to be significantly behind academically
Old 08-11-2022, 03:52 AM   #10573
whomario
Pro Starter

Meet a new board member of the Idaho Public Health Department:

Dr. Ryan Cole’s journey from Boise to Nashville to France. His new focus? Monkeypox. - Idaho Capital Sun
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:26 PM   #10574
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

CDC's new COVID guidelines, basically the "we've given up" shrug emoji: Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/healt...ate/index.html

Quote:
"What the CDC is, in my opinion, trying to do, they are trying to still be relevant, and maybe when they say something, people will listen to them instead of being completely 180 degrees away from what behavior is anyway," Chin-Hong said.

Bill Hanage, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, agrees that the new guidance shows that the CDC is trying to meet people where they are.

"I think that this is a point where you actually have to sort of get real and start giving people tools they can use to do something or not. Because otherwise, people will just will not take you seriously," Hanage said.

I'm sure the folks who were disregarding the CDC's recommendations for the last 2+ years, avoiding masking and ingesting horse paste, will definitely come around and agree with them now!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #10575
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My favorite summary of the new guidelines "The CDC says: Spit in our mouths."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-12-2022 at 04:36 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:14 AM   #10576
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My guess is yes. The backlash would be significant

Insurance isn't picking up the tab on the boosters. The nsurance is only covering the admin fee that the pharmacy receives, and that is being reimbursed by the government.

Now some payers put restrictions in place for age and maybe for the number of doses within a given period of time. My educated guess is that most are not placing limits on obtaining a booster "too soon".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #10577
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Insurance isn't picking up the tab on the boosters. The nsurance is only covering the admin fee that the pharmacy receives, and that is being reimbursed by the government.

Now some payers put restrictions in place for age and maybe for the number of doses within a given period of time. My educated guess is that most are not placing limits on obtaining a booster "too soon".

Okay, good point. Insurance isn't paying for it but the government is.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #10578
Edward64
Head Coach

Coming to a theatre near you soon.

Unless there is a major outbreak, I think I'm going to wait till Dec to get this 3rd booster. I'm planning on overseas trip Jan/Feb so figure it'll be best to wait to 2-4 weeks before.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/18/ever...cial-says.html
Quote:
White House Covid coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha said on Wednesday that the newly updated Covid boosters will be available to teens and adults “in a few short weeks.”

“I believe it’s going to be available and every American over the age of 12 will be eligible for it,” Jha told NBC News’ Lester Holt.

The new boosters target the omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5, as well as the original strain of the virus. BA.5 accounts for nearly 90% of new Covid cases in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #10579
whomario
Pro Starter

What in the World ? (No, it is not a spoof. Nice extra touch: England, huh ?).

Still possible the trailer is just weirdly done and it's more critical than "ah shucks, everybody tried hard, didn't they ? That poor Johnson fella sure had it rough", given the people involved ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-19-2022 at 03:48 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #10580
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A thrift store in Indiana received these lovely horse pastes after he passed away. FOr sale cheap! And oooooo those mildewed flip flops! GIMME!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 08-21-2022 at 04:11 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #10581
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, we made it 2 years, 5 months without a positive test in the house (or even COVID-like symptoms, though I can't rule out anyone -- especially the kids -- having it and being asymptomatic at some point).

Wife starts feeling bad late yesterday, takes a test, is positive. Younger son & I test negative (though I definitely have some sort of cold - aches, congestion, etc...). Older son (who started high school on the 17th) tests positive.

So, I'm pretty sure it came from high school via the older son. Which doesn't really bode well for reinfections.

Oh well, we did what we could for as long as we could.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #10582
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry to hear that Flere. Hope you all have a quick recovery!
Old 08-27-2022, 01:09 PM   #10583
JPhillips
General Manager

My wife and daughter are positive, but I'm not. Almost certainly they got it at the Harry Styles concert in MSG.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #10584
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, after two and a half years it finally got me too. Not my most favorite of experiences, but haven’t had the cough so far so hoping it stays that way. Just a lot of aches, pains and fatigue.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #10585
Cuckoo
College Starter

I finally got it this summer as well. I have some issues such as severe asthma, so I was a bit worried. In the end, and probably thanks to the vaccine and booster, it was almost nothing for me - sore throat for a day or so, slightly run-down for a couple.

So my wife has had it once, my oldest daughter twice and me now once. Always weird, though, is that none of us caught it from another, despite being around each other in close contact for several days. In fact, for mine, we all rode in a car together for 8 hours during what was supposed to be my most contagious time. Nobody else got it.

Also weird, my youngest has yet to get it. She's superhuman.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #10586
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Positive test for me on Saturday. It's not pleasant, but I've had cases of bronchitis and strep that were worse. The sore throat is probably the worst part.

Of course, the bigger issue is that I'm meant to fly across country to take care of my folks for a couple of weeks after my Mom's knee replacement surgery (my Dad has Alzheimer's, so can't really operate as a primary caregiver). The operation is on Wednesday, and one of my sisters can stay a few days, but she's a social worker with a special needs kid, so that's about the max she can do.

I, on the other hand, can work remotely, so was planning to take over from her and stay there two weeks. Probably have to push that out if I can't get a negative test by late Friday. Ugh.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #10587
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Probably have to push that out if I can't get a negative test by late Friday. Ugh.

I kept throwing positive tests long after I was over it. I think it was a good 10-12 days before I got a negative.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #10588
Edward64
Head Coach

No more free test kits. Checked Amazon and it's $45 for 5.

Guess that's not too bad. Still have about 6 unused government ones.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #10589
Ksyrup

I mentioned in the Kids Leaving Home Support Group thread that my daughter got it at college. She's been home since Saturday morning, went and got tested today because one professor insisted on a note, and she's still positive. But since she started symptoms on Thursday, she's good to go back to school with a mask on Wednesday. She's been isolating upstairs so I hope my "unconquered" streak continues.

That said, I saw something recently that estimated that upwards of 50%+ of people who have never had symptoms likely have had Covid, just didn't know it. So I guess I could be one of those.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-29-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #10590
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Guess that's not too bad. Still have about 6 unused government ones.

I noticed all of our government ones are expired. Not sure how long they're still good after that, but, I'll try to burn through them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #10591
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is hard to remember now, but there was a period of about three weeks or so when humanity was united against this virus. And it felt like something I’ve certainly never experienced in my lifetime. Then our media overlords told us, “Make this about red versus blue bullshit like everything else.“ And we listened and did that. But I feel there was a real missed opportunity there.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #10592
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It is hard to remember now, but there was a period of about three weeks or so when humanity was united against this virus. And it felt like something I’ve certainly never experienced in my lifetime. Then our media overlords told us, “Make this about red versus blue bullshit like everything else.“ And we listened and did that. But I feel there was a real missed opportunity there.

I vividly remember how friendly everybody was, in the first week when we were given the go ahead to walk around outside after that first couple weeks where everyone took the call to quarantine deathly serious. Everywhere was Mayberry for like a week.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:06 PM   #10593
21C
College Prospect

My recollection was more of isolated cases of "Mad Max". The *majority* of people did the right thing but the loudest and most obnoxious still bellowed about having their rights infringed and did whatever they could to push the boundaries of a civil society.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #10594
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was it the second closest to peace on earth in most of our lifetimes? The first, of course, was the first couple of weeks of Pokemon Go.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:53 PM   #10595
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Yeah it was the media that did that.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #10596
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I noticed all of our government ones are expired. Not sure how long they're still good after that, but, I'll try to burn through them.

Thanks, I didn't think about that. I looked and my first batch expired in July and my second batch will be expiring in Sept. Looks like they're good for 6 months only.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #10597
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You must not have had to search for toilet paper.

A man can have no peace if he doesn't have a supply of toilet paper.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:10 AM   #10598
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still have a stash in the basement as backup.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #10599
tarcone
Coordinator

Tested positive today with a home test. I went home early from school. 20 kids went home sick as well. We are now in yellow status.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #10600
Thomkal
Head Coach

take care