Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #1551
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Has there ever been a recession where job growth continued to increase and unemployment declined? Because that is still happening.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #1552
Edward64
Head Coach

No, don't think there's ever been this situation.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #1553
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Post-pandemic and war involving a major global energy supplier will do that. Unprecedented times.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:43 AM   #1554
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

There's also the fact that we have a whole bunch of folks retiring or are on the cusp of retiring.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #1555
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If more people are working than ever, but GDP is declining, doesn't that mean, in the simplest terms, that we're just not being as productive as before?

I mean, maybe people are just not trying as hard. The labor market is super-tight and I could see a lot of white collar workers being like "I'm not working myself to death. You get 40 hours and then I'm out of here. What are you going to do, fire me?" And we already know how the service sector is struggling, to the point where vast swathes of it have cut hours and service offerings, which I have to feel would impact the GDP numbers.

But, I'm not an economist, so this could be completely wrong.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #1556
Edward64
Head Coach

I wonder what they'll call this "phenomenon" in the next couple years (e.g. they came up with "stagflation" in the 70's).
Old 08-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #1557
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It seems to me that people that switched jobs in the pandemic are making a lot more while people who stayed in their jobs had their buying power cut a bit by inflation. This may be why retail spending is slowing down. What's crazy is services and travel spending is way up. It is a weird economy right now.

The biggest tell on a recession may be if Apple, Google and Microsoft all start missing earnings and lowering guidance. My thinking is we haven't been in a recession this summer, but we may be entering one in the fall.

How inflation looks in Q4 is going to be huge. If it starts pulling back and the Fed gets more worried about a recession, we could get that "soft landing" everyone talked about a year ago. But if inflation is still hot, the Fed could literally put us into a full recession.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #1558
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's the definition of a "full recession"?
Old 08-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #1559
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You never go full recession.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #1560
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What's the definition of a "full recession"?

I think the delineation will be pretty subjective. Probably a combination of severity and duration. For me, a full recession would be a recession lasting more than a year. A mild recession is < 6 months. See below for list & duration.

List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia

The Covid Recession was -19.2% but only for 2 months, so I would not call that full blown.

The Great Recession was -5.1% but for 1.5 years (but felt longer).

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-06-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #1561
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It seems to me that people that switched jobs in the pandemic are making a lot more while people who stayed in their jobs had their buying power cut a bit by inflation. This may be why retail spending is slowing down. What's crazy is services and travel spending is way up. It is a weird economy right now.

People are cutting back on every day things, but after Covid, they are willing to spend on personal services and travel. Credit card debt is climbing:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/02/cred...ge-growth.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #1562
Edward64
Head Coach

We should assume another .75 in Sept unless Fed sees good evidence that inflation is doing better.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/06/fed-...int-moves.html
Quote:
Fed Governor Michelle Bowman said she supports the central bank’s recent 0.75 percentage point rate increases and believes they should continue until inflation is subdued.

“My view is that similarly sized increases should be on the table until we see inflation declining in a consistent, meaningful, and lasting way,” she added in a speech Saturday.

Markets are anticipating a third straight big increase when the central bank meets again in September.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #1563
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If more people are working than ever, but GDP is declining, doesn't that mean, in the simplest terms, that we're just not being as productive as before?

I mean, maybe people are just not trying as hard. The labor market is super-tight and I could see a lot of white collar workers being like "I'm not working myself to death. You get 40 hours and then I'm out of here. What are you going to do, fire me?" And we already know how the service sector is struggling, to the point where vast swathes of it have cut hours and service offerings, which I have to feel would impact the GDP numbers.

But, I'm not an economist, so this could be completely wrong.

Would that trend be bad though? We saw productivity go up over the past few decades but wages stagnate. So maybe some course correction is necessary.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #1564
Edward64
Head Coach

On the way to Costco, saw regular unleaded at $3.60. At Costco, they were selling it for $3.30. We were going to top off the car but the line was too crazy. Effects of inflation everywhere, all the prices that we normally shop were up except for ...

... pretty sad when you look forward to the $1.50 hot dog meal after shopping.

Just on a side note, I understand sometimes there will be the inevitable jams at the "intersections", but people really shouldn't just park their carts on the lane waiting for whoever and being oblivious of being part of the problem.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #1565
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is interesting. If Musk's main legal argument is some version of "Twitter tricked me," then Twitter trying a defense of "Elon is way too smart to be tricked" is brilliant psychology b/c you know that he can't admit to being tricked.

Legally, I don't pretend to understand securities law. But from 10,000 feet up, this seems to be what is happening right now.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-08-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #1566
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Would that trend be bad though? We saw productivity go up over the past few decades but wages stagnate. So maybe some course correction is necessary.

Not bad at all. Much of American "productivity" is based on working people to death, so anything that pushes that trend in another direction is a good thing IMO.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #1567
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 08-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #1568
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice CPI figures, hopefully a good day for the markets.

Quote:
Prices that consumers pay for a variety of goods and services rose 8.5% in July from a year ago, a slowing pace from the previous month due largely to a drop in gasoline prices.

On a monthly basis, prices were flat as energy prices broadly declined 4.6% and gasoline fell 7.7%. That offset a 1.1% monthly gain in food prices and a 0.5% increase in shelter costs.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones were expecting headline CPI to increase 8.7% on an annual basis and 0.2% monthly.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, so-called core CPI rose 5.9% annually and 0.3% monthly, compared to respective estimates of 6.1% and 0.5%.

EDIT: Whoa, just looked at futures +2.5% for Nasdaq and +1.7% for S&P.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-10-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #1569
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My BIL who is as high up as you can get in banking without being a CEO said this is a very good number and shows what the feds are doing is working. Wonder how fox will spin it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #1570
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My BIL who is as high up as you can get in banking without being a CEO said this is a very good number and shows what the feds are doing is working. Wonder how fox will spin it.

Fox will probably just bury it and focus on how unfairly Trump is being treated.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #1571
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Fox will probably just bury it and focus on how unfairly Trump is being treated.

This was the conclusion we came to on our drive to the beach this morning.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #1572
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nice CPI figures, hopefully a good day for the markets.

EDIT: Whoa, just looked at futures +2.5% for Nasdaq and +1.7% for S&P.

Yeah, another 7 or 8 days like this and the S&P will be positive for 2022!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #1573
Ksyrup

Just checked my accounts for the first time in a few months. Even with the little rebound, I'm still down about $75K this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-10-2022, 06:27 PM   #1574
Edward64
Head Coach

And just think, it was probably another $40-$50k down 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #1575
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
My zillow house price has dropped about 3.5% from it's high. It's painful to see but in big scheme to things, nothing compared to the meteoric price rise in the past 2-3 years. So can't complain (yet).

In about a week, my zillow house price has dropped about 4.4% from high. Not complaining yet but sure hope it stabilizes soon.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #1576
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh yeah baby. Keep 'em coming.

At this rate, the bear market and significant inflation may be over before mid-terms!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/dow-...ket-rally.html
Quote:
Stock futures rose on Thursday as Wall Street was poised to rally for a second day after another better-than-expected inflation report.

Futures tied to the Dow Jones added 0.7% or 245 points, while S&P 500 futures and Nasdaq 100 futures climbed 0.6% and 0.7%, respectively.

Investor sentiment got a boost when the July producer price index showed a surprise decline month over month. PPI showed a decline of 0.5%, compared to an estimate of a 0.2% gain,
according to a Dow Jones survey. The PPI reading excluding food and energy rose less than expected.

That reading follows an encouraging read on the consumer price index for July on Wednesday. CPI came in at 8.5%, slightly cooler than the 8.7% expected by analysts surveyed by Dow Jones and a slowing pace from the prior month.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-11-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #1577
Edward64
Head Coach

Man, and I thought we had it bad.

Can't be bothered to research it but you have to figure 69.5% interest rate would have beaten inflation a while ago. And the only reason why not, is because of some other policy the government is doing.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/econo...tes/index.html
Quote:
Argentina's central bank raised its benchmark interest rate by 950 basis points on Thursday as the country struggles to keep a lid on spiraling inflation that rose to a 20-year high of 71%, according to new data.

The central bank raised the benchmark rate for the 28-day term to 69.5% from 60%, a rate the bank set just two weeks ago when it hiked the rate by 800 basis points and the government shuffled its cabinet to install a new economy "superminister."

New inflation data on Thursday underscored the urgency driving economic policy: Prices rose 7.4% in July, above expectations and pushing annual inflation to a 20-year high of 71%. The month saw the resignation of President Alberto Fernandez's longtime finance minister followed by the ouster of his replacement.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #1578
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice chart to give some context on past recessions.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #1579
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Man, and I thought we had it bad.

Can't be bothered to research it but you have to figure 69.5% interest rate would have beaten inflation a while ago. And the only reason why not, is because of some other policy the government is doing.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/econo...tes/index.html

What it is about Argentina? Didn't they already have an inflation supercrisis, like, 20 years ago?
Old 08-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #1580
Edward64
Head Coach

Add Turkiye to the list of high inflation.

I've always wanted to visit Constantinople, Gobekli Tepe, and Hisarlik (aka Troy). Might be a good time to visit Turkiye.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/18/turk...0percent-.html
Quote:
Turkey’s central bank shocked markets Thursday with a cut to its benchmark policy rate, despite inflation in the country sitting near 80%.

The country’s currency, the lira, slid 0.9% against the dollar, trading at more than 18.1 to the greenback following the news — near a record low.

The country’s main policy rate, which had been at 14% for the last seven months, was cut to 13% in a complete mismatch to what other central banks are doing around the world.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #1581
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What it is about Argentina? Didn't they already have an inflation supercrisis, like, 20 years ago?

Yup.

Quote:
When it comes to defaults, Argentina does have a bit of a history. Since it joined the IMF in 1956, Argentina has sought and agreed to 22 financial-support programs from the organization, the most notable of which was during the 2001 Argentine financial crisis when it defaulted on a $21.6 billion IMF loan. (It also halted payments on $95 billion worth of bonds to other creditors.)

Following the 2001 crisis, many Argentines blamed, and still blame, the IMF for imposing harsh conditions that worsened the country’s already dire economic situation. Last year, Argentine President Alberto Fernández criticized the IMF’s 2018 loan to Argentina, the largest loan in IMF’s history, as being “toxic and irresponsible.”
Old 08-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #1582
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Turkey has had high inflation in its recent past, too. Back in the 90s, they dropped some 0s off the currency.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #1583
Edward64
Head Coach

I know BBBY (Bed Bath & Beyond) is getting a lot of meme play. I'm not into options but still enjoy checking out r/wallstreetbets once in a while.

Saw this thread and was thinking WTF. Apparently mods there are reminding/publicizing a suicide hot line to help those hurt by BBBY fallout.

Call 988 if you need help. : wallstreetbets
Old 08-26-2022, 09:08 AM   #1584
Edward64
Head Coach

You're killing me Jerome ... but I agree with you. Keep the hurt on until we are convincingly in the clear.

Quote:
Fed Chairman Jerome Powell on Friday pledged that the central bank will “use our tools forcefully” to attack inflation that is still running near its highest level in more than 40 years.

In his annual Jackson Hole policy speech, Powell added that higher interest rates likely will persist “for some time. The historical record cautions strongly against prematurely loosening policy.”

The remarks come amid signs that inflation may have peaked but is not showing any marked signs of decline. Powell said the Fed will not be swayed by a month or two of data.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #1585
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 08-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #1586
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's a balancing act, and the Fed has indicated pretty strongly that it is going to err on the side of overtightening.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #1587
Hammer
College Prospect

I like what the FED is doing. Could give a nice springboard down the line with buying opportunities in the mean time. They really can't add much more than 1% or stuff will break. Maybe .75, .25, .25. But I think that will bring U.S. inflation down to around the 5% mark or so. I suspect 2% is a fantasy for the time being.

It's the DXY that concerns me. A strong dollar brings downward pressure. Maybe a double top for now but I suspect it rises in 2023 due to weakness elsewhere. So that might counter balance the FED pivot.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #1588
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I take the blame for today. I added money to my index fund yesterday.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #1589
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oof.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #1590
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Oof.

I hate this thread so much. I really need to stop clicking on it and then giving into the temptation to go check my portfolio.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #1591
Edward64
Head Coach

Old 08-27-2022, 05:21 AM   #1592
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:

Bought any Bitcoin yet Edward?
Old 08-27-2022, 07:14 AM   #1593
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Bought any Bitcoin yet Edward?

Nope. Still debating internally!
Old 08-31-2022, 10:45 AM   #1594
Edward64
Head Coach

It seems the markets were caught by surprise by Jerome's Jackson Hole speech. Not sure why. I think the only question was if it was .5 or .75 hike in Sept.

In addition to Jerome, we now have 2 other governors (in the past couple days) pretty much telling it the way they see it. Rates are going to keep going up, the question really is at what pace.

Quote:
Cleveland Federal Reserve President Loretta Mester said Wednesday she sees benchmark interest rates rising above 4% by early next year.
:
In line with that, Mester said rates will remain elevated “for some time,” a phrase used in recent days by both Fed Chairman Jerome Powell and New York Fed President John Williams. She said real rates, or the difference between the fed funds rate and inflation, will need to “move into positive territory.”
Quote:
"I see us needing to kind of hold a policy stance - pushing inflation down, bringing demand and supply into alignment - it's going to take longer, will continue through next year," New York Fed chief John Williams told the Wall Street Journal. "Based on what I'm seeing in the inflation data, and what I'm seeing in the economy, it's going to take some time before I would expect to see adjustments of rates downward."

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-31-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:51 PM   #1595
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

My 401K portfolio’s nominal increase over the past 10 years is 137%, which translates to an annual return of about 9%. I’m OK with that.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:03 PM   #1596
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW. Beats me but let's hope the Fed can rationalize a 50 hike vs 75.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/02/inves...ing/index.html
Quote:
The takeaway: Wall Street is currently pricing in a 60% chance of a 75-basis point rate hike at September’s Fed meeting. That’s down nearly 15 percentage points since Thursday, before the jobs report was released. But there’s still a lot of ambiguity around the Fed’s upcoming policy decision. There’s a lot of economic data to digest in the first half of this month – in particular, inflation numbers for August – and this is just one piece of a larger puzzle.

“The Fed will require further proof of softening before adjusting policy materially,” said David Page, head of macro research at AXA Investment Managers. “But on balance these figures are consistent with a 50-basis point September Fed hike.”
Old 09-04-2022, 04:49 AM   #1597
Hammer
College Prospect

One major problem the FED have got is the national debt to GDP ratio. The U.S. is behind very few large economies now, and have broken past 100%.

You are looking at Italy, Greece, Portugal and Japan above. Who clearly have problems. You push the GDP down the debt becomes out of control. So the FED are in a tight spot. The only way to get hold of the national debt if it becomes out of control is to turn the money printing back on. Which increase inflation.

I think one more hard .75 hit, then maybe .25, .25. Playing with fire past that. System would be in risk of breaking.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #1598
Edward64
Head Coach

No idea what this guy was going through but assume it's because of all the BBBY meme/drama stuff (and not like he was a Putin critic or heavily in debt to Vegas). Assume BBBY will be strongly negative on Mon.

He must have been under a lot of pressure. I'd just say f*ck it and walk away from it all, and take a nice long vacation in Asia.

Bed Bath & Beyond exec Gustavo Arnal ID'd as NYC 'Jenga Building' jumper: source
Quote:
The chief financial officer of troubled Bed Bath & Beyond has been identified as the man who jumped to his death from the iconic new Tribeca skyscraper known as the “Jenga Building,” The Post has learned.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #1599
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
No idea what this guy was going through but assume it's because of all the BBBY meme/drama stuff (and not like he was a Putin critic or heavily in debt to Vegas). Assume BBBY will be strongly negative on Mon.

He must have been under a lot of pressure. I'd just say f*ck it and walk away from it all, and take a nice long vacation in Asia.

Bed Bath & Beyond exec Gustavo Arnal ID'd as NYC 'Jenga Building' jumper: source
That could be unrelated personal problems at home, but it is more likely massive embezzlement or fraud and he was about to get caught.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #1600
Ksyrup

According to an article I read this morning, he was facing a $1.2B pump and dump stock fraud suit filed against him 2 weeks ago