Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #23501
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not saying this is the case for you, but my parents had to be with a "family" member (likely was but they're not even sure, in the end) who got into contact with them via 23 and me or whatever DNA test they did because, well, some people are always looking for another avenue to con people out of money.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-04-2022 at 10:35 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #23502
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Huh?

2 slices & a drink, even with lunch special pricing on slices, is $11.95 in Athens

ONE slice (with one topping) & a drink is $9.95 (from their pick two menu)
Sorry so late in responding, but I can't open this thread on my phone.

Wow. Conyers may not have much to offer, but it has the best per slice pizza deal around. You can do a slice, salad and a drink for $6.95.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #23503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Wow. Conyers may not have much to offer, but it has the best per slice pizza deal around. You can do a slice, salad and a drink for $6.95.

Welcome to Athens, where everything is f'n overpriced
Old 08-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #23504
RainMaker
General Manager

There is a place by me that has a lunch special of a liter of soda and a slice for $6. The slice is about the size of a plate.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #23505
stevew
Hall Of Famer

4 slices(fills a Togo box)of iffy pizza and a can of Coke for 5$ near me. It’s kinda bad pizza but kinda good in that school lunch pizza type way.

Last edited by stevew : 08-05-2022 at 03:23 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #23506
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
4 slices(fills a Togo box)of iffy pizza and a can of Coke for 5$ near me. It’s kinda bad pizza but kinda good in that school lunch pizza type way.
I could do that every once in while. I can't really do Little Cesar's bad. Mostly because it really tears up my stomach. Mellow Mushroom that we are talking about is actually some the best pizza in this area.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #23507
21C
College Prospect

I have officially passed over into decrepitude.

I bought a 3D camera and a selfie stick a few months ago and hardly touched it after the initial setup. Now I cannot find the selfie stick for the life of me. I live on my own in a one-bedroom apartment so I can't blame anybody else for moving it on me.

I have turned over the most obvious places I could have put it (several times) and I now give up. I am losing it - or have already lost it.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:56 PM   #23508
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't know there were consumer versions of 3D cameras. I googled and found a GoPro Max 360 for $500 (which I guess is halfway reasonable).

Thanks, will have to research this more.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #23509
21C
College Prospect

Insta360 ONE X2
Insta360 ONE X2 – Waterproof 360 Action Camera with Stabilization

You don't happen to know where my selfie stick is . . . ?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #23510
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I could do that every once in while. I can't really do Little Cesar's bad. Mostly because it really tears up my stomach. Mellow Mushroom that we are talking about is actually some the best pizza in this area.

We don’t have mellow mushroom but I would never eat there because I don’t like mushrooms.

And I rarely get LC, but if you have it custom made with extra sauce and extra cheese it’s decent. Their deep dish lunch is nasty

Last edited by stevew : 08-05-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #23511
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Insta360 ONE X2
Insta360 ONE X2 – Waterproof 360 Action Camera with Stabilization

You don't happen to know where my selfie stick is . . . ?

Thanks, I'll read up on reviews.

Don't know about your selfie stick but com'on, they're cheap enough.

Look at the bright side, better than misplacing your insta360.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:35 PM   #23512
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I never got the appeal of Beavis and Butthead
Old 08-08-2022, 02:26 AM   #23513
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

as a thing i loved B&B and it's fun to do the voices and catchphrases...but you know I have never actually watched an episode

it's funny in small doses
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:14 AM   #23514
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

It's a brilliant satire of American life, the educational system, male teenagerdom, and the primal id.

There's a lot going on beneath the surface of the lowbrow humor if you actually pay attention.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:18 AM   #23515
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Winger fan.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #23516
cuervo72
Head Coach

B&B is maybe the one show I've seen ads for that has me a little interested. But, if it's only on Paramount+, it's not happening.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #23517
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Winger fan.

♫♪♪ Stewart wets his bed... ♫♪♪

(can't believe how easily that came back to me after not thinking about it in 20+ years)
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #23518
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is what Twitter was made for - reminding me that it's been 18 years since Dave Matthews' tour bus dumped 800 pounds of waste on a Chicago tour boat. Although technically, it was the violinist's bus.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #23519
sabotai
General Manager

(not sure what thread to throw this in so I'll put it here)

Malcolm Gladwell slammed after criticizing WFH policies—despite having worked remotely for decades | Fortune

Quote:
“I know it’s a hassle to come into the office, but if you’re just sitting in your pajamas in your bedroom, is that the work life you want to live?” he questioned. “Don’t you want to feel part of something?”

LOL, no.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #23520
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I feel a part of a lot of things and have an extra couple of hours a day to feel a part of more when I'm working from home. Work doesn't give me my only purpose in life, it gives me money to facilitate other things

SI

Old 08-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #23521
Kodos
Resident Alien

I know I could do without the time spent on the train to New Haven. Unfortunately, we're moving to 3 or 4 days in the office from 2 this fall.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #23522
GrantDawg

People's whose life is their work just can't understand people whose life is outside of work.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #23523
miami_fan
Coordinator

The funny thing about this is what he said before and after the reported comments. I pulled it from the transcript so no punctuation. Go to about the one hour and eighteen second mark of the video if you want to listen to it instead.

Quote:
this Audio company with my friend Jacob Weisberg called Pushkin produces all of our podcasts and others um and you know
we've noticed that the people like every small company we have people who come and go and the people who go are the ones who this is an obvious observation but it's an interesting one the people who have tended to leave are the ones who are the most socially disconnected from their organization so who came into the office the least or who were not were based in another city and we hired them largely to do remote work or they have they don't feel it's very hard to feel necessary when you're physically disconnected and um you know as as we Face the battle that all organizations are facing now and getting people back into the office that this people it's really hard to explain this core psychological truth which is we want you to have a feeling of belonging and to feel necessary we and we wanted you to join our team and if you're not here it's really hard to do that it's not in your best interest to work at home I know it's a hassle to come to the office but like you know if you work if you're just sitting in your pajamas in your bedroom is that the work life you want to live right don't you want to feel part of something I mean it just I I I I'm really getting very frustrated with the inability of people in positions of leadership to explain this effectively to their employees that um if we don't feel like we're part of something important what's the point it's not you're not just doing this to get a if it's just a paycheck then it's like then you what if you reduced your life to right it has to be I don't know I I this really is getting

Ummm Malcolm, the people in positions of leadership don't have to explain it. If they actually showed that their employees that they wanted the employees to be a part of something important, the employees might feel like they are a part of something important. If the employer is holding a paycheck over the employee's head for whatever reason, then yes it is only about the paycheck.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:22 AM   #23524
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
People's whose life is their work just can't understand people whose life is outside of work.

Exactly.

Also, I found this quote of his amusing, about his time at the Washington Post:

Quote:
I was a basket case at the beginning, and I felt like an expert at the end. It took 10 years—exactly that long

I feel if it takes you 10 years to feel like an expert at a job you go to literally every day (and don't even change employers), it... might be too long?

Outside of certain specific complex specialities, of course.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #23525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

{ponders}

I think that's probably fair, yeah.

A caveat I might be inclined to put on it is that you can transition from one of those types to the other (though I don't know that it's so much a gradual transition as more of a switch flip or three)
Old 08-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #23526
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'm fighting a terrible cold today so I work from home. I may need a few days, I can do all my work remote.

I still feel I'm being judged to not work in person or to just burn a sick day.

As long as I'm getting work done to a high standard let me handle my business.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #23527
Ksyrup

My daughter found a can of that Coke Marshmello at a convenience store and grabbed one. I liked the flavor (fruity) but the aftertaste was definitely cough syrupy. I wouldn't drink it again.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #23528
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'm mad Coke is killing off Honest Tea though I saw that coming a mile away.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #23529
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I am amazingly cranky when unexpectedly woken up from my midday workplace nap.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #23530
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a cat person but I suppose at some point, it was common enough that "skinning a cat" became an idiom. And not just skinning a cat but that there were many different ways to skin a cat? Are there really that many ways? Is there like an MLA way to skin a cat and a Chicago-style way to skin a cat?

SI

Old 08-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #23531
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{ponders}

I think that's probably fair, yeah.

A caveat I might be inclined to put on it is that you can transition from one of those types to the other (though I don't know that it's so much a gradual transition as more of a switch flip or three)
I think that is fair. I have seen people transition but there is usually a catalysis, like a health scare or a death in the family. There are some people that actually plan it that way. Work-aholics till they have enough to retire. Though many times if they are relatively young they will find some other work to obsess about. A-type personalities have a hard time changing.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #23532
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/busin...ngs/index.html

Outside of the "richer people are households that make over $75,000" debate, why is CNN acting like people with a little money in their pocket just started making their way back to Applebee's and IHOP?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #23533
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I actually canceled Applebee’s. The last time we went and it was like 100$ after tip which is a lot for microwave food.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #23534
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Outside of the "richer people are households that make over $75,000" debate, why is CNN acting like people with a little money in their pocket just started making their way back to Applebee's and IHOP?

We will occasionally do IHOP. Applebees is a hard pass unless I am grabbing a beer while my kids are at a party or something.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #23535
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Why not debate. Over 75k? Rich? Really? Come on!
Old 08-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #23536
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

yeah. I get cost of living in other parts of the country are less, but that is crazy. Median household income in my town is 115K
Old 08-09-2022, 04:37 PM   #23537
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Finally, I'm rich. To Applebee's, Jeeves!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #23538
RainMaker
General Manager

Applebees gave me the worst diarrhea of my life years ago.

I do like Olive Garden as my chain restaurant of choice.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #23539
Ksyrup

The only time I've been to Applebee's in the past 10+ years was visiting my daughter at college where it was like an hour to a normal shopping area with anything other than fast food. I'd sell a $50 Applebee's card for $15 just to get rid of it
Old 08-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #23540
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only time I've been to Applebee's in the past 10+ years was visiting my daughter at college where it was like an hour to a normal shopping area with anything other than fast food. I'd sell a $50 Applebee's card for $15 just to get rid of it

My wifes uncle used to give them to us all the time. At one point we had $100 worth. Wife and I wen there. Got an app and a couple drinks each. Gave the rest to the waitress as a tip.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:24 PM   #23541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I do like Olive Garden as my chain restaurant of choice.

We live on the Jersey shore and there are amazing Italian places everywhere. We went to OG for the first time since moving from Oregon 4 years ago a few months back. It was by the movie theater we were going to. It actually scraped an itch i didn't know needing scratching.

I think we all posses a gene that craves bad pizza and Italian.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #23542
Edward64
Head Coach

Bourbon street steak was great back then. Olive Garden was always a yuck to me. Haven't been back to either in over a decade (maybe 2).
Old 08-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #23543
Ksyrup

I had no idea Phil Hartman was a graphic designer in the 70s and designed or worked on several dozen well-known album covers.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #23544
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing in what parts of the country 75k for a household is rich. Maybe comfortably middle class, at best. Unless you're talking super-rural in which case they probably don't have an Applebees or IHOP anyway.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:44 PM   #23545
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Applebees is horrendous. The last time I ate there (years ago), I concluded I would be a lot better off just getting something from the frozen section of the grocery store plus a six pack or something.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #23546
Kodos
Resident Alien

Applebees and Pizza Hut were always a ticket to stomach issues for me. Haven't eaten in either in a lonnnnnnnng time.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #23547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah the Applebee’s in my town somebody got a rat in their salad. I forgot about that but it was another reason why I stopped going there
Old 08-09-2022, 08:23 PM   #23548
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing in what parts of the country 75k for a household is rich. Maybe comfortably middle class, at best. Unless you're talking super-rural in which case they probably don't have an Applebees or IHOP anyway.

I suppose there's a median income or yearly definition of middle class, but I feel like there's a wide gap in wages that term covers. Certainly, the more you make the better off you are, but there's a big difference between living comfortably and being rich.

I grew up comfortable, no doubt, but we lived middle class - dad drove a beat up POS car for several years, both parents worked, we took a vacation every summer but never flew. But we never needed anything.

Even now, I'm miles better off than my parents were but I don't consider myself rich. I'd need a hefty increase to get to the $400K income level that is always used as the magic cutoff by politicians on who should be taxed more than others.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:44 AM   #23549
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW

TaxVox | Tax Policy Center.
Quote:
Income measures

Let’s start with the Census Bureau, which calculates median household income for the government. While the exact number is a matter of some uncertainty even within Census (there are measurement issues), the ballpark median for 2017 was about $61,000. Thus, half of US households made less than $61,000 and half made more. When you think about middle income, that seems like a pretty good place to start.

The Tax Policy Center looks at household income in a different way. TPC measures what it calls expanded cash income, which is broader then the Census definition.

Then TPC divides US households into quintiles (20 percent chunks). So an easy way to think of middle-income is to look at who is in the third, or middle, quintile. As it happens, we land pretty much in the same place as Census: Households in the 40th to 60th percentile of the income distribution make between roughly $50,000 and $90,000.

TBF, the article does say "richer people" vs "rich people". But yeah, that headline is click bait.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-10-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #23550
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
TBF, the article does say "richer people" vs "rich people". But yeah, that headline is click bait.

Bingo!

Besides that, I just don't agree with the idea that people throw everything they did when they were poorer away when they become richer. I am not saying it is an everyday thing for them or that the richer people won't go to the more expensive places in town because they can afford to. Just that, I have not seen any evidence that people who liked going to places like Applebee's and IHOP stopped going to those places simply because they could afford to go somewhere else. And yes, they have the restaurant app on their phone that will get them stuff for free or at a discount.