Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ardent's Softball Season

I'm not a fabulous athlete. However, I do love to play softball and football. Softball season has just started here at Naval Training Center, Great Lakes. I had just one goal going into this year: Get on a team.

That's normally a pretty easy thing to do, but with the way my orders were set up to arrive here, I thought I might get caught in the middle and not get a team. Fortunately, two things helped me out.

The weather up here has been pretty cold. That delayed the start of the season until the end of April instead of the beginning of the month. Also, the two main fields were/are being reseeded and not ready for play, thus we have to play at Field 80-H, or something like that.

By the time I reported to the command where I'm currently working, they were already fielding their team. I kept my eyes and ears open, and heard the coach, FC2 Will Kerchee(Fire Controlman, 2nd class. I'm an ET2, electronics technician, 2nd class) talking to my boss about the team. I told them I was interested, and it went from there.

This is my ongoing story: Ardent, the softball player.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Pre Season

We began practice almost immediately, out at 80-H, since that's the only field on the base that's open right now anyway.

We ended up having to wait until two teams finished playing each other, and then we played the winner.

One problem for my first practice: I don't have a glove.

I have two gloves back home in Missouri, but they're not doing me a whole lot of good there. Fortunately, I knew a guy from the other team, GSE2 Hammack, who happens to be from the St. Louis area. Hammack and I just went through the Instructor course together, so we know each other well and he let me borrow a glove.

First problem solved.

So, out I trot onto the field, and I'm told to go to left for the time being. Before the 'practice' game would start, I'd be shifted to right field as two others showed up late.

So, I'm sitting in right field, minding my own business, trying to remember how to catch a fly ball. I played one game of softball last year in Dubai of the United Arab Emirites (hope I spelled that right). I caught the one ball that came to me, diving across the hot sand to make the catch (I wouldn't recommend that, I cut my right leg up bad that day). Before that, you'd have to go back to my days with the USS Carr and Norfolk First Baptist's B Team in 2000. I played shortstop on the Carr and catcher (darn church politics) for the church team.

Only one ball would be hit my way, and I misjudged it. It fell behind me and in front of Hutter, who threw the ball back in. A grounder came my way, and I threw a laser to third. It held the runner on first base from trying to move to third, at least.

At the bat, I got up to the plate four times, and as 'new guy', I got to bat lead off. We weren't keeping track of balls and strikes, so I was swinging at everything. My first at bat was an infield single on a nubber to third. I got on base my second time up due to an error by Hammack at shortstop. My third at bat was a pop fly that the short fielder caught, and the fourth at bat was a single to right field. I scored once, and knocked in a run in my fourth at bat as well.

I was overall pretty happy with the results. My fielding was real rusty and I desperately wanted more work at it. Unfortunately, playing right field wouldn't get me a whole lot of work.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya know, this was almost the strongest selling point for a military career for me. I heard they field a "national" team
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A couple of days would go by before the team got together for another practice, and this one ended up being a very cold ugly day. We played on a field just outside of the base, and I was put in at shortstop. We had people missing from the last practice, or I would have likely ended up in right again. I guess Will the coach liked my speed and thought he'd try me there. Moving from short to third was Matt Thomas, who was an FC on my last ship, the Nimitz. In fact, our wives worked together for a while, and were friends.

I had a great day in the field, but I didn't hit so well. 1 for 4, with a single the other way. I think my swing was out of whack, as I'm not hitting line drives. Everything is on the ground or short pop flies.

Our fielding overall was impressive. In fact, we shut the other team out. I had about 5 assists and 2 putouts on the day. Will was impressed with the way Thomas and I handled our side of the infield, and it looks like that may be where we end up playing.

Good, I hate right field.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Ya know, this was almost the strongest selling point for a military career for me. I heard they field a "national" team

We do have a Navy Baseball team. I don't know about softball...we might have one of those as well.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The next practice doesn't start until the following Monday, in which was, well, the 26th, I think. We had a little bit of BP and fielding practice with just our own team (I strongly suggested this to Will. It's hard to get practice catching flies or grounders during a game).

It went well. I played some short, moved to third, to second, and finally to right and right centerfield. I'm still rusty with fly balls, but Will said I'm not at risk to go to the outfield the way I play short.

I hit some solid line drives when I came to the plate.

I'd also like to add that I have a glove at this point.

Things seem to be going well.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tuesday was supposed to be a practice day, but not all the team was aware of it. In fact, when I arrived at 80-H, two teams were about ready to play, and I was the only one from my team there.

I seized the opportunity to play a game, joining the IT "A" School team to play against the TSC Storm. The Storm had Joe Sorensen pitching on there team, another Nimitz refugee. Joe was a buddy of mine on the ship, and we often were around each other. He's a big guy. I like him quite a bit, unless he's drunk.

IT A school played me at second base, and batted me 6th. I had a good day in the field, but again struggled at the plate. I handled every fielding opp well, but was overthrown twice at second base. Once by the shortstop (I'm used to a taller 2nd baseman) and once by the third baseman (you weren't at the bag!) who threw it where I was at, instead of the bag.

We lost 10-4. IT A school asked me to join their team. I think I would have rather been on the Storm's team. I had the chance to join them through Joe Sorensen, but opted to play with the guys I go to work with everyday.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wednesday's practice was cancelled after we got to the field and it was already filled, but the ET A school students challenged us to a preseason game on Thursday.

I batted 2nd this time around, following Hutter in the lineup. I started out at shortstop as well.

I hit well this time, and played well on the field. 3 for 4, with my only out on a ground ball to third. Once again I rotated from short to right, so that others could get a chance to field some at short. Later in the game, I'm rotated to left field to try and get some practice catching fly balls.

That lasted one batter.

The first batter hit a fly ball deep to left and I turned to run after it. I ran into the fence, and bounced off of it. It's hard to recall how far I bounced off of it, but it had to be a couple of feet at least. I noticed that the ball was on the ground, so I picked it up and threw in to Smith, who was playing short.

The ball sailed on me, and my index finger felt raw, so I had a look. Blood. Lots of it, too. Eddie, the left centerfielder, asked me if the ball was fair (thanks for the concern, Eddie). I vaguely recall seeing the foul poll, and I was to the right of the poll. It was a fair ball.

My finger still hurt. I took another look. JeeberD! It looks like I may have cut the tip of my finger pretty bad. In fact, I was worried I may end up losing it. I called time as Will was about to throw a pitch.

I held up my finger and told him I couldn't throw and needed to come out. I got razzed a bit for that, and sent to right field (hey, I need to come out!), and the outfielders rotated over.

I spent the time of the next three batters kneeling down on the ground covering my finger, when finally Will called for a sub. The hater.

After the team got off the field, Will took a look at the finger, and sent me next door to the hospital. The Naval Hospital is literally next door. If you hit the ball out of the park to right or right center, it's likely to land in the hospital parking lot.

I got there and they readjusted my finger (I guess it was slightly dislocated or something). It caused the nurse to think my index finger might be broken, so my finger was pinched in a couple of different places to make sure it wasn't.

Fortunately, it was not broken. The doctor took a look and said it wasn't as deep as it looked. The skin that was ripped would die, though, and new skin would form up underneath. I could opt for stitches, but it might keep me off the field longer, and wouldn't necessarily heal my finger any better. Remedy? Bandaids and aspirin.

And I'm out for an indefinite amount of time.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

So, my finger is hurt, and still is. This is a problem. From Friday through Sunday I felt like someone hit me with a truck. Every muscle in my upper body ached. I slept a whole lot. A whole lot. I didn't want to move. Fortunately, by Monday my body was feeling better, if not my finger.

Will asked me to come out and go to a batting cage with him on Monday, so I did. The first round left my finger stinging, so Will suggested I try letting go of the bat with my right hand a little sooner, and keeping the finger off the bat entirely. I did, and it seemed to work for me.

I declared myself fit to hit for Thursday, our first game. The jury was still out on if I would actually take the field, though. I wanted to press the issue and start throwing Monday, but Will didn't like the idea, and wanted me to wait until Wednesday before the game.

Tuesday I put on my glove for the first time since the injury and tried taking the ball out of the glove. I wanted to see how it would feel, since my finger seemed to be healing. 50% of the time I could take the ball out of the glove without pain. Not a good percentage, really, so I told Will I probably couldn't field on Wednesday, our first game.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A little bit about 80-H. It's a small field to right, and I've dubbed the Right Field Fence the Chain Monster. It's actually designed to keep flyballs from hitting the cars, but it doesn't do a great job. I honestly don't know how shallow it is, but it's pretty darn close. We joke that the right fielder is nothing but a deep second baseman.

The field juts out following the road to the parking lot, so centerfield becomes a deep corner in the field. It's rounded out, but centerfield is pretty darn deep right down the middle. Left field is about average, it's deep, but you can still go yard if you want to.

That said, I'll mention my career home runs (over the fence), softball and baseball: 0.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wednesday rolled in and I went to Chastain's house for burgers and some light throwing. My finger was bandaged, so I knew I wasn't going to throw much or play the field that day. My throws has a natural curveball going, and I couldn't tell just how much I was putting on the ball. It just didn't feel right. Just a confirmation for me. I wouldn't play the field. Darn it.

It's a shame. I've always been a good fielder. I took a lot more pride in my speed and defense when I played baseball than I did in hitting. Same goes for softball.

Gametime rolls around, 7pm. We're set to play the Naval Hospital Core School Student Ballers. A rag tag unit that featured three female students, of which only one could play decently. We knew we were in for a 'fun' game.

I stand in foul territory outside our dugout watching the pitcher, and he's not getting anywhere close to the plate. His fate is sealed: I'll take every pitch until he throws a strike.

I get up to the plate and despite being slow pitch softball, he somehow slings to slow curves well outside. I'm trying not to smile, since this is my first official at bat of the season and all. The next pitch lands well in front of the plate, and my first plate appearance is a walk. The next two players would end up walking as well, and I would score on a groundout to second base by Will Kerchee. We scored 4 runs in the inning, but should have scored much more.

The Ballers went 1-2-3 in their half, and I was back up to the plate in the 2nd inning with Chief Martin (RF) at first base.

Operating under my previous rule, I took the first pitch. Wish I hadn't, it went down the heart of the plate. A beautiful pitch. I should have swung. Sigh. I'll have to hit anything close now.

Next pitch is outside for a ball, followed by a pitch inside. The moment you sit there waiting for the pitch can sometimes take forever, and a great debate in Ardent's head between the Ardent Senate and Enthusiast House of Representatives ensued. Swing or don't swing?

I let it go. It landed between my feet and home plate, if it would have hit the plate in the slightest I think I would have been called out on strikes. That's a case of beer, and I'm not buying a case of beer for the guys. Wheh. I got lucky there.

Full count, and the next pitch lands in front of the plate. 2 at bats, 2 walks. A single up the middle would plate Chief Martin and sent me to third. I scored on an error with the relay. 2 runs scored on the day for me as well.

Going into the bottom of the 2nd, it was 8-0 us.

I wouldn't get an opportunity to hit in the third inning, but was the 2nd man up in the 4th. By this time, it was 9-0. Chief Martin once again singled, so I had a runner at first.

I hit the first pitch, it looked good to me, and hit it hard. It went scorching over the shortstop's head and in between the left and left centerfielders. The race was on, and I was slowed only by the lack of speed of Chief Martin. I had a solid triple, and scored on my own hit with a bobbled relay.

That wouldn't be the end of my inning, as I would come up again later, this time with runners at second and first.

Once again, I hit the first pitch, and I smoked the ball. A deep liner to right center field, and I took off running. I didn't see where it landed, but was told it hit the right center field fence on the fly. Outstanding, hidden power with a bad finger! I slid on the first base bag, which may have kept me from turning that into an inside the park home run. I was wisely held at third as the ball came in to the pitcher. The next batter would fly out to end the inning.

By that point it was 20-0. One of the rules was up by 20 after 4 innings or 10 after 5. We met the limit and after the Ballers went 1-2-3 again in the bottom of the inning, the game was called.

Not a bad way to start the season.

2-2, 2 triples, 3 RBI's, 2 walks, 3 runs scored. I'll take it.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:18 AM   #12
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

How dare you start another dynasty without telling me ?
Man, you were trying to sneak past me with that one, weren't you ?

Well, mister, I'm on to you now !

OK, you can carry on now, I'm finished...
Old 05-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #13
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
How dare you start another dynasty without telling me ?
Man, you were trying to sneak past me with that one, weren't you ?

Well, mister, I'm on to you now !

OK, you can carry on now, I'm finished...

Just an update on my finger. Playing on Wednesday didn't hurt it at all. Of course, I only swung twice. I was kind of surprised I launched the ball as hard as I did, since I was holding the bat differently and all. Perhaps I need to adjust my hitting habits. The finger was bandaged the whole time, so that may have had something to do with it.

Since then, I've removed the bandage and the loose dead skin. The numbness in my finger seems to have gone away as well. The new skin is still slightly sensitive, but I got a feeling I'll be able to play the field on Monday. I'm sure I'll be taking some grounders before the game to see how it feels.

Overall, I'm very happy with the way my index finger has came around. I've sliced it open once before on the USS Carr, and it took a long time for it to heal. I really thought I was going to lose the tip of the finger at first, and now it appears I'll be able to play on Monday.

The schedule will be tight on Monday as we (Will, Rob, and I) will all be at Physical Training (PT) with the students on Monday afternoon at 1500. That will last an hour, and then we have an hour to get to the field. The base isn't that big, so that won't be a problem. Just another long day.

A note on the schedule: Since the league has to play at 80-H this year instead of the two normal ballfields we play on, there will only be one game a week. It's not a doubleheader, either, so that stinks. There's just too many teams wanting to play to do it any other way.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Now a bit on the teams I've seen:

There is a Marine Corps team, and they look pretty good. Right and Right Center were weak for them, but that's generally a weak spot on any team. They swung the bats well, and generally mauled the TSC Storm.

TSC Storm had a good infield, and as I was bragging on them during the above mentioned game, the second baseman made an error on a routine ball. That said, they have at least a good 3/4 of an infield. The rest of their team is suspect, including Sorensen, and they have a jerk for a coach. Another member of the storm is IC2 McManus, a guy I went through instructor training with.

The Red Ropers, or the Recruit Division Commanders, are a great team, and my pick to win it. They're named after the red ropes that are part of their uniform to distinguish them for their job. Some of these guys are in tremendous shape and can flat out launch the ball. They mauled the team they played just before us as well. On this team is Chief Knouce, another member of my instructor class.

We've played both student teams, and neither strike fear in my heart. In fact, I'm not sure who would win if they played each other. The game would probably last forever, just like in "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

Two engineering teams, and we've played both in the preseason, and we beat both of them.

An awful lot of Hospital staff teams. Corps school students, Corps school staff, at least one, maybe two hospital staff teams, and I think a barracks staff team. I haven't seen any of them play.

The last look I got was IT A school, the team that wanted to pick me up. I saw them play another game, but don't recall if they won or lost. If I'm not mistaken, they lost. They have about 3 really good players, the pitcher, short, and perhaps the left fielder. They looked better in the 2nd game, but I wouldn't consider them a threat.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Finally, a glimpse of the team. I still don't know everyone that well, so I've kind of held off on this.

Senior Chief Langlois and Chupco are good pitchers, so we're kind of set in that area. Chupco can play first and some outfield if needed as well. Langlois is kind of stuck due to a lack of speed.

We have a couple of catcher candidates. Philips (?) and Black both complain of back problems, but Black and Langlois have had the lion's share of innings behind the plate. Philips would be ideal there, because he has tried to play second base, and simply isn't good out in the field.

At first, we have Bill. That's all I know him as. He teaches at ET A school, and is a big tall guy. I like throwing to him, because I don't have to necessarily focus on accuracy. Bill doesn't hit well, unfortunately, for his size, and is limited to first base.

2nd base. Vinson and Philips appear to be in a semi platoon over there. When Vinson shows, I imagine he'll play, but he hasn't shown with regularity. Philips is awful. He boots nearly every grounder, and gets anxious in his recovery. He has no range, and has trouble with pop ups. One tattooed him in the forehead. All ball, the glove didn't touch it. He has seam marks on his forehead. Ouch. That said, I might be an option there from time to time as well.

Vinson is the preferred choice, since he'll cover the bag when needed. Philips likes to stand in one spot and watch the play. I know I'm bagging on Philips quite a bit, but he confuses me. This guy likes to tell anyone that'll listen about his baseball knowledge and that he played a year of college baseball, and from what I heard from him, he's pretty knowledgable. He knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. But he was a pitcher. It's no wonder why he can't play the field at all. He does seem to have a decent bat, so perhaps he can be an extra hitter or designated hitter.

A dark horse at this position is Will's roommate, Chad. He looks to be in good shape, and played 3rd for us in our first practice. I didn't see him again until the first game of the season. He played a little outfield and then moved to second after 2 innings (Philips, who was playing 2nd was pissed).

At third we have two or three options: Matt Thomas, ET1 Smith, and Will's roommate Chad. Thomas is my preferred choice. He plays close to the line, and moves to his left well. This allows me to play a little deeper than normal, as long as I come up hard on balls Thomas can't get to. Smith is an older guy, though I don't know how much. He prefers shortstop (the hater), and when he plays third he's like a 2nd shortstop. He plays well off the line. Good and bad things about that. It allowed me to play closer and a tad deeper to the bag, but anything hit down by the third base bag will be a hit. There's me, of course, and I have to figure it's my job to lose. Rob Chastain played 3 innings at short in our first game, when Smith didn't show up 30 minutes prior to the game. Will told everyone to be on time if they expected to play. We wanted Smith in there so Rob could play the outfield. That said, Rob played a good game at short, although he air mailed one past Bill...how I don't know.

Smith pouted on the bench while he wasn't in the game, and it ticked me off. I let him know about it later, and he apologized. If I had to pick two people I don't expect to be on the team at the end of the season, it might be Smith and Philips.

Our outfielders are a gangly group. I've offered my horrible services for the chance that both Smith and Thomas show up and we're short outfielders. Hopefully, I'm never taken up on it.

Rob and Will are our best choices, but if I'm not mistaken Rob transfers soon. Eddie our usual left center, does a good job, but seems preoccupied at times. He doesn't talk to the rest of the outfielders, my finger is a testament to that. Hutter plays short field and right center, depending on how he feels at the moment. He's intriguing. He has a lot of energy, but doesn't play up to his potential in my opinion. He'll be gone for the next couple of weeks, so we have a hole there. Finally, right field. No one wants to play there. We have a shore comm student, ET3 Perry, and big strapping young man out there, and he seems to play well. He leaves at the end of June, though. Chief Martin has logged a few innings out there as well, but he has surgery soon and will be gone in a month or two. Outfield is by far our weakest group.

That brings up a little nuance of 80-H. Day games are a disadvantage to the right fielder as the sun sets in their eyes. Night games are a disadvantage to the left fielder, as left field is poorly lit.

This will be one interesting season.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rain. I've heard thunder off and on today, and just recently it started to rain. I doubt MWR has a decent groundscrew, so I'm concerned about tomorrow's game. Hopefully, tomorrow will be full of sunshine, and the field will be nice and dry.

We're likely to play if the grass isn't soaked. I've played in worse.

MWR stands for Morale Welfare and Recreation, they're the 'body' that governs this intramural league type stuff. They once had our team playing on a field with a mud pit where the shortstop normally stands.

That put me in a predicament...do I play in front of the mud and take myself out of anything that is sharply hit, or do I play behind the mud and try to cross it. Either way, it sucked to be me. Hopefully MWR here in Great Lakes has a better plan.

Hopefully.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Couple of quick notes:

I played softball in Riyahd, Saudi Arabia and the "field" was hard brick-like dirt with big chunks of rock. The infield was an absolute nightmare and any diving or sliding ended with blood-letting. Ouch! So I kinda feel for the Dubai ground.

In Turkey I played pitcher and 1B. I was good enough pitching that a team dominated by cops from Izmir (a NATO base on the Med) asked me to go play softball with them in a tourney in Germany. So last August I drove out to Izmir from the capital, jumped on a plane with the Izmir team and flew to Ramstein for a big tournament featuring teams from all over Europe (England, Germany, Italy, and then our little Izmir team).

We lost all but one game. The champions came from RAF Croughton (spelling?) and we did get to play them as they were in our group. They hit the 12 HR-rule limit in the 3rd inning. Then, after they were done having their fun with us, the ump says, "All homeruns from now on are outs." The batter then lines one right at me! The ball catches my shin and I'm stung pretty bad. The next batter comes up and asks me if I'm okay. I say I am and he rockets one right at me again! They can't hit homeruns anymore, so they take it out on me. It was a nightmare of a pitching game, and I was honestly afraid for my life once they couldn't hit homeruns anymore! Oh, by the end of the inning, one guy put one right at my head and I snag it out of the air by pure luck, saving my life, and getting the out.

Anyway, I'm thread-jacking. I'm getting into softball season here in Louisiana, and my team is full of homesteading good-ole boys....they don't like me and my California attitude. But I'm no the team and waiting to see how they react.

Good luck with you and I'll be reading.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-09-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #18
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks Dutch. For as hard as it was raining, it appears to have calmed down and stopped. Got to love the weather here in Great Lakes, IL. Feel free to add stories, suggestions, or tips. I'm not the greatest player in the world, and often don't choose my own bat. I usually let Will or someone else do that for me.

AE
Old 05-10-2004, 07:22 AM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Bad news. We play the Red Ropers today. It could be ugly. Hopefully, we can pull off an upset.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:31 AM   #20
Pro Rookie

There seems to be an epidemy of hurting fingers around this FOFC place ...

First GB then AE ! Watch out where you stick your fingers guys...
Old 05-10-2004, 01:20 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Lots of rain here right now. With just under 4 hours until game time, we've been hit with some more rain. PT is likely cancelled. I don't know about the game as of yet.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #22
Pro Rookie

What's the planning like AE ? Is it one game a week, or more ?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Because we have just one field and something like 18 teams...we play just once a week. Rainouts are played on Fridays or Saturdays.

Unfortunately, if we're rained out I won't be able to play. I'm going home to the wife this Thursday night.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The game has been called because of rain. Makeup is Friday. I'll be in Missouri.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:30 PM   #25
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Because we have just one field and something like 18 teams...we play just once a week. Rainouts are played on Fridays or Saturdays.

Unfortunately, if we're rained out I won't be able to play. I'm going home to the wife this Thursday night.

Followed by

Quote:
I'll be in Missouri.

Hmm.. Something tells me we shouldn't pass this on to Punkin.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:24 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is a Marine Corps team, and they look pretty good. Right and Right Center were weak for them, but that's generally a weak spot on any team. They swung the bats well, and generally mauled the TSC Storm.

OOOH RAH!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:24 AM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst

Hmm.. Something tells me we shouldn't pass this on to Punkin.

Ah, I'm just bummed I'll miss out on our chance against the top team.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:45 AM   #28
Pro Rookie

What if it 's a rain out on Friday as well ? Will you be back on time for the 2nd makeup game ?

If yes, I'll get out my sorcerer hat, voodoo dolls, ouija board, water stick and start dancing and chanting the Navajo Rain Summoning Dance while casting a level 5 Master of the Rain druidic spell... and then prya that it's enough...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 AM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It would have to rain on Friday and Saturday. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #30
Pro Rookie

OK, if it's that serious, then I'll pull out my secret weapon - i'm gonna start singing...

Call Noah, he needs to start working on that Ark of his again...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #31
Blade6119
Coordinator

I though you were in the military...stopping cause of rain...how pathetic. Real men would be playing in the rain and love it, yet alone maybe some hail or a hurricane for fun. Are you a man Ardent, cause if so i better hear you played through the rain!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:48 PM   #32
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I was ready and willing to play, but MWR has the final say in cancellations. I caught a lot of grief at work today for not being able to show up Friday. There was joking that I might not be allowed to go home after all.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The rain dance worked! We'll be playing Wednesday and Friday this week. I'm not going home this weekend, so I'll be able to make both games!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #34
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The rain dance worked!!

I think I may have found myself a new career opportunity here...
Old 05-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #35
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's game is against the Naval Hospital Core School (NHCS) Staff. Instead of young pups like we played last time, we'll be playing older people that may be more seasoned in softball.

Going into the game, I'm slated to sit the bench, since I'm sick and we have a number of options. This frees me up, in theory, to play short the entire game against the Red Ropers on Friday. That game may well be rained out.

My finger is completely healed up now, thank goodness. My sickness is really just a very sore throat. I've been taking some kicking stuff from Tylenol, though, and I feel a lot better.

As people begin rolling at game time for 6:30, we don't quite have the full lineup there. I'm inserted in at short. The guy scheduled to play was Smith, who showed up at 6:40. Will's rule is if you're not on time, you start on the bench, and Smith wasn't. I start at short, but I'm to come out after 2.

We hit first, and since I'm a 'late' starter, I'm batting where Smith was scheduled, 7th. Our batters go 1-2-3 and before you know it, I'm heading out to short.

I haven't played short since our practice game against the ET students, which was three weeks ago. I tried to get some 'work' in this past weekend, but wasn't able to rustle up anyone to throw with while I was home in Missouri. I'm a little nervous, and wanted to get some throws in from the shortstop spot, but I was given two before the balls were called in.

Starting to my right at third base is Matt Thomas, my preferred third baseman, and at second base is Vinson, my preferred second baseman. Life is good, or so I thought.

The game doesn't start off well for us. A grounder up the middle got past me despite the fact I layed completely out for it in the dirt. Two batters later, one gets in between me and the glove as I slide past the ball. Neither play was an error, but it didn't make me feel any better. I handle a pop up for the 2nd out easily, and by my account we're down 3.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #36
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In the top of the 2nd, I come up 4th. Singles and a walk load the bases up for this 5'8", 149 lb power hitter. I'm sure I put fear into the pitcher as I stepped into the box with my Easton batting gloves on.

I didn't have the gloves a few weeks back, and I sure missed them. They were in storage back home in Missouri. One of the very first things I did when I got home was find the batting gloves. I still need to buy some baseball pants. I went shopping with my birthday money for some last weekend, but couldn't find anything in my rural hometown area. The Chicago land area is more promising, but I don't really like venturing out into this area without any knowledge of where I'm going. I'm trying to secure a friend to go with me.

I digress.

So, I stand up, batting 1.000 on the season, and I'm sure this pitcher has no clue I hit the fence the last time I batted. The first pitch lands in front of the plate and to the right. 2nd pitch lands in front, and the third pitch inside. I walk to first, and I'm credited with a RBI. I love this game. Our first run of the game as well.

The next batter sends a grounder to third base, and the fielder tags the bag, but gets no one else out. I advance to 2nd on the play.

Next man up sends a soft liner to left, and Jerry Black the 3rd base coach waves me in. I score without a play, and we've now just tied the game at 3 a piece.

We don't score any more for the inning and I head back onto the field for the bottom of the 2nd.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 PM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The bottom of the 2nd was pretty ugly as well, and I certainly played a part in this one.

The first batter hit a very soft grounder, and I was playing a little too deep for it. Thomas gave a soft first step to cut it off, and I wish he would have continued. I sprint to the ball and throw it right to first, but the guy just barely beats it out. I don't credit myself with an error on that one.

The very next batter hits one back to Senior Chief Langlois, the pitcher, who throws, to me I think. Vinson came to the bag as well instead of backing the play up and the ball goes into centerfield as I couldn't quite reach back for the throw from Langlois. Communication error, I should be taking control of my infield.

Very next play is soft looper that Thomas again takes a soft first step to, and I break late on the play. I palm the ball as I pull it out of the glove, and my throw is nowhere near Big Bill. Give me an error on that one. Bases loaded.

Fortunately, despite my problems, we only allow 2 of these runs in, and we're down 5-3 going into the top of the 3rd. I finished the 2nd inning with an assist as I throw out a runner at 2nd (Vinson on the put out).

Last edited by Poli : 05-19-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #38
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Three up and three down for the Twisted Steel, and we're heading back out onto the field. Instead of pulling me, Will pulls Matt Thomas from third and puts Smith there. Will cited I needed another inning of 'work' and then he would pull me. Thanks, Coach.

Pop up behind third base, and Smith is lost. I run past the ball myself as we come into the grass along the baseline. It falls in, but the runner is held at first. That's my bad. I should have either told Smith to get on his horse, or I should have called him off.

The only play I make in the inning is on a grounder to Vinson for the 2nd out at the 2nd base bag. We get out of the inning without allowing a run.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #39
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm about four batters down in the lineup as we come up to the plate, but base hits score a run and put runners at first and second for me.

I take ball one, and it lands where my feet were. I back out of the box, and step back in.

2-1 count, and I'm anxious to hit, since this is likely my last at bat. I like the flight of this pitch and it's predestined to be hit. The ball dies as it comes to the plate and would have landed well in front if I didn't guide it down the 3rd base line, foul.

2-2 count and the ball lands well outside. Full count.

3-2 and I'll swing at anything relatively close.

SMASH. I hit that one, and the left fielder is not even close. Playing me short because of my size, he has to turn and run. I love seeing the back of an outfielder's jersey as he runs after something I hit. That is a great feeling.

Hitting the ball was a nice feel as well. I really connected with the pitch, no stinging, just a sweet, fluid, swing. Excellent. I'm chasing the runner on first around the bag, and stop at 2nd as the relay comes in front of me to the shortstop, the runner continues on to home, and scores on a non play. 2 more RBIs for Ardent Enthusiast.

I would score two batters later. In the bottom of the fourth, we're up 7-5. I come out and Smith moves to short. Jerry Black moves to third, and I'm done for the day.

Time to shutdown. I pull off the Champion sweatshirt that was under my Twisted Steel shirt/jersey.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #40
Poli
FOFC Survivor

More problems out in the field, perhaps more than I experienced, and we allow 6 runs in the bottom of the fourth.

Top of the fifth, and we score 3. We're still down 1.

Senior shuts them down for the bottom of the frame, but we don't score any in the top of the 6th.

Senior is unphased, and sends down the NHCS Staff 1-2-3 for the bottom of the 6th.

Our bats come alive, and I was wondering if Will may ask me to step back in to hit. We score 6 runs and take the lead for good.

We shut them out in the bottom of the 7th to take the win.

For the game: 1-1, 2 runs scored, 3 RBIs, 1 double, 1 walk.

For the season: 3-3, 1.000, 5 runs scored, 6 RBIs,1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.

I am a batter to be feared. I need some practice. DK or other Chicagolanders, feel like playing some catch?

Last edited by Poli : 06-12-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #41
Blade6119
Coordinator

sounds like you just got some easy competition...come play my highschool, were the new state champs and have 7 guys going 1A for baseball
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Being 28 kind of puts that one on hold.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #43
Blade6119
Coordinator

dola, and at our school the women play softball, wait....its the same at your base
Demotivation
Old 05-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #44
Blade6119
Coordinator

crap, no dola!
Demotivation
Old 05-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #45
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
dola...

Rookie. Go play with the girls.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The game against the Red Ropers was rained out again yesterday. No word yet as to the rescheduling. It'll likely be Friday, and I'll likely be on my way back home.

FFF, a rain dance is again in order.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:38 PM   #47
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The game against the Red Ropers was rained out again yesterday. No word yet as to the rescheduling. It'll likely be Friday, and I'll likely be on my way back home.

FFF, a rain dance is again in order.

Man, you're taxing me here...I don't know if I can handle 2 in a row...i'm getting old dude !
Old 05-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #48
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great stuff so far Ardent
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #49
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Update: The game with the Red Ropers has been rescheduled to June 11.

There are no games this week. That stinks. Hopefully, we may get a practice or two during lunch breaks.

Our next game is 'next' Friday, believe it or not.

In the mean time, I'll be going to the gym and doing some sprint workouts in hopes of increasing my 'limited' abilities.

Last edited by Poli : 05-24-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Working out today went well. I typically rest 1 min to 1.5 minutes between sets, depending on the exercise. I rest 2-3 minutes between exercises, depending on my level of exhaustion after the sets. I use my watch to keep careful track of the time.

Bench press at 6 reps and 4 sets. Incline bench 8 reps and 3 sets. Key note on this was that my grip was slightly more inside than normal. Flat dumbell flys and alternating dumbell presses were next. 6 reps and 3 sets each.

Started getting pretty tired at this point. I was supposed to do 2 sets of 20 pushups at this point, but only did one set. I finished this workout with running a mile. I hate running miles, but it's a necessary evil with the Navy and their 1.5 mile run for time that I have to do twice a year.

I got to the room and did a little balancing drill I picked up out of a book as well.

I added this bit since I won't be playing this week as per the schedule, and it hopefully will improve me as a ballplayer.

I've been taking creatine, and would like to start taking some kind of protein and/or nitrogen supplements.

ACTUAL SOFTBALL UPDATE:

Injuries: Vinson, 2b, hairline fracture in his foot. Thomas, 3b, sore shoulder. This causes a few ripples in the team. Rob Chastain moves to short, I go to 2nd. Smith goes to third base, it what may hopefully calm down a little ugliness over playing time.