albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #152
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Very nice!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #153
PilotMan
Head Coach

God I love this show. The metaphor of the coffee cup and the company car has laid the groundwork, it's brilliant. The side plot tonight kept me hooked like the side plots in BB. Tonight's episode really felt like the right mood for the show and a great tie in to BB. Great episode.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #154
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm happy it's already been renewed, and just really glad this show exists. It's definitely over-delivered. I was hoping for "watchable," and instead it might be the show I look forward to most each week.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #155
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I'm happy it's already been renewed, and just really glad this show exists. It's definitely over-delivered. I was hoping for "watchable," and instead it might be the show I look forward to most each week.

Totally agreed. Gives you the BB feel without going over-the-top to BE BB.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #156
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jimmy and Kim sharing office space would be a bad idea. There's no way she could watch Jimmy in full Jimmy mode as a lawyer and not react badly to it.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #157
APC
Mascot

Part of me feels like the show needs to start moving along from the law firm stuff. I really don't care about the inner workings of a law firm and it's been more than established that Jimmy tries to walk a line between being legit and, well, Jimmy.

But whenever I think that, it only takes a scene or two to suck me into each episode. It's a great show, even though it moves along really slowly.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #158
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah, they can go as slow as they want with this IMO. Breaking Bad was frequently very slow, especially in its early seasons. Mike's storyline can bring the occasional explosiveness that amps things up, I absolutely love what they're doing so far.

The Jimmy getting himself fired montage from this week... maybe it can't match Breaking Bad's "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage (what can, though?), but holy crap it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

I love it playing out "slow" (using quotes because I don't think it's very slow, but understand). We know where everything ends up so I don't see the need to rush along.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #160
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I like the show's pace. I remember when the rumors of a Saul Goodman spin-off were going around, Vince Gilligan mentioned that they weren't sure what kind of show they even wanted to do yet. There was the strong possibility that it would take much more of a comedic bent than it has. But I think once you decide to make it primarily a drama, then the exploration of what turned this character from Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman becomes the thrust of the show, not the wacky exploits of Saul Goodman, ambulance chaser.

So, I am not at all bothered that the show is taking its time, and I think those wanting the Saul era to hurry up and arrive might have been hoping for a somewhat different type of show than the one this turned out to be.

What fascinates me is where the TV series Better Call Saul is going. We know what happens to Saul, sure, but are we eventually going to pick up in Omaha and continue the show moving forward? Will it end right before the events of Breaking Bad get going? How will all that be handled? Can't wait to find out.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #161
APC
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
What fascinates me is where the TV series Better Call Saul is going. We know what happens to Saul, sure, but are we eventually going to pick up in Omaha and continue the show moving forward? Will it end right before the events of Breaking Bad get going? How will all that be handled? Can't wait to find out.

I'm assuming a lot of that depends on ratings and whether the show continues to be renewed.

I wasn't complaining about the show's pace. It's a major compliment that the show can move at the pace it is and still be incredibly compelling. My "complaint" (even though I'm not really complaining) is that the show has already firmly established that Jimmy tries to stay on the straight and narrow and often fails. If they want to keep hammering that aspect of Jimmy's character home, that's fine, but I wish they'd move on from the inner-office politics of a law firm angle (which they, thankfully, appear to be doing).
Old 03-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #162
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

spoiler alert?

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #163
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the set-up for the show makes it ideally suited to move slowly. We like the two main characters--Mike and Jimmy/Saul. And we know that Mike ends up dead, and Jimmy ends up trapped in the dumpster room of a mall too scared to get out. There's a sense where I actually really don't want these characters to end up getting where I know they are going.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #164
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Todd - I had seen a picture of those two with Bob Odenkirk the other day too. Had some caption about just visiting, but it would certainly be awesome to see them in the show.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #165
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Can someone explain the name mix-up at the law firm to me? Hadn't Kim met him before? I felt like I missed something there.

Loved the episode, really enjoying the show. I think some of the highest praise I can give it is that Breaking Bad doesn't really cross my mind when watching it. It totally stands on it's own feet IMHO.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-31-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #166
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can someone explain the name mix-up at the law firm to me? Hadn't Kim met him before? I felt like I missed something there.

Loved the episode, really enjoying the show. I think some of the highest praise I can give it is that Breaking Bad doesn't really cross my mind when watching it. It totally stands on it's own feet IMHO.

The name mix-up: the idea is that at that moment she realized that jumping to the firm was really no change at all; she would still be answering to others just like her old boss. New firm was just lipstick on a pig, she realized
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #167
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Is it just me or does it seem like Kim is making a really bad choice following Jimmy and leaving a good job? I mean there is not settling for being the 10th in line in the rat race at a law firm but then there is working across the building from Jimmy McGill.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #168
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like Kim is making a really bad choice following Jimmy and leaving a good job? I mean there is not settling for being the 10th in line in the rat race at a law firm but then there is working across the building from Jimmy McGill.

I think the idea is that she has the sense to know that partnering with him would be terrible for his career, but is too emotionally attached still, leading to the offer she ended up making. Or, maybe the speech Jimmy gave her about being their own bosses resonated enough with her to not want to work for either of the big firms and to start her own thing, but again... still enough common sense to know that Jimmy as a law partner would be bad news.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #169
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Also, given her presence in BB (i.e. nada) means she's not long for this series.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #170
PilotMan
Head Coach

This weeks episode was another win. I love the pacing of it. I just sit back and enjoy. I don't really care how long it takes to get the story out. We do know where it's going, I just don't want it to get there too fast.

I think it's almost a sure thing that we'll get some post-bb episodes. I think they've been laying the groundwork for that here and there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #171
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The worry I have about this being drawn out is the Kim story.

We know Mike and Saul have their arrangement and basically how it works, so Mike's story can take its time. He's already the person he is in BB.

But Kim is the third lead in BCS. She's the one who grounds Jimmy. How does she leave the series? Does she die? Do they have a falling out? If so, why (does he join Amway and try and force her to sell crappy household products)? Whatever it is, it's being set up as something strong enough to turn him from Jimmy to Saul. But Jimmy was fairly close to being Saul at the start of last season anyway.

So that's nagging at me now. And I've had enough of Jimmy trying to fit in, so I'm glad they took care of that. I just wonder what it is we're looking for. Saul, in BB, wasn't that compelling. It's only because Odenkirk is talented that we saw any humanity in him.

What makes him a weasel who enables drug dealers, but fears the violence of the drug world rather than a weasel who works for a major law firm? The only difference is that Saul wouldn't care enough to find the Sandpiper suit. As far as the life of crime goes, there's not much struggle. Last season, Jimmy reacted the same way Saul would have reacted to the violence.

This show is very well done and I enjoy watching. I just wish it weren't headed where it has to be headed, because the loss of Kim will figuratively unground him, but the character is already Saul - that his own brother is this bitter recluse who despises him seems to be a more powerful influence. Whatever did this to Jimmy was done long ago. VG created this, so he sees it. But we're pretty close to the end of the story, then.

If not, Jimmy will need to find a new Sandpiper and work it with Kim, which will bind us even closer to Kim with the eventual unhappy ending looming over us even more. Or Kim will have to break bad with deadly consequences, and that will loom over us.

So, I hope they do this quickly, and we get to post-BB Saul next season.

Last edited by Solecismic : 04-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #172
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I can't imagine what story there is to tell post Breaking Bad. I am in no rush with this series at all. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #173
Butter
Coordinator

Enjoyed last night's episode quite a bit. The tension they have wrung out of the Kim Wexler storyline has been far beyond what I would've expected. Excited to see what I largely expect to be the resolution next week of the Mesa Verde storyline and the fallout from Jimmy's document tampering, whatever that will be.

When you describe it in those terms, it sounds like the most boring show around, but it is not at all.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #174
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Enjoyed last night's episode quite a bit. The tension they have wrung out of the Kim Wexler storyline has been far beyond what I would've expected. Excited to see what I largely expect to be the resolution next week of the Mesa Verde storyline and the fallout from Jimmy's document tampering, whatever that will be.

When you describe it in those terms, it sounds like the most boring show around, but it is not at all.

Kim will realize that as long as she's around Jimmy, he will interfere with her life. Not being partners with him won't matter.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #175
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
They are really pushing it with regards to how obnoxiously slow things are moving. Did we really need a 5 minute opening scene of a delivery truck going through an uneventful border check, introducing an as-of-now uninteresting new character?

Ha, I actually enjoyed this. Was interesting to me to see the futile existence of being a border guard. I thought it worked well with the episode, too.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #176
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Ha, I actually enjoyed this. Was interesting to me to see the futile existence of being a border guard. I thought it worked well with the episode, too.

I did too, as it was a really cool shot. And I don't think we're going to see that guy as a "character". It was meant to show how thorough of a check the guards were doing, yet they didn't catch what was coming through...which the guy was able to do routinely to the point where we saw so many of his popsicle sticks in the ground.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #177
Radii
Head Coach

I'm still trained from Breaking Bad to just enjoy the intro scenes each week as their own thing. Apparently in this week's intro there was some seriously impressive technical filmmaking/camera work, but I don't know enough about it to recognize it or appreciate it myself.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #178
Radii
Head Coach

From the Sepinwall review of the episode

Quote:
the episode opened with an eye-popping sequence that goes up there with some of the more impressive shots the parent show ever gave us, and one that was very intentionally evocative of the opening of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil, which offers one of the more famous one-take sequences in movie history.

According to "Fifi" writer Thomas Schnauz, he and the rest of the creative team had Touch of Evil in mind as they set up their own border crossing, and the percussion is extremely reminiscent of the Touch of Evil score. But the idea to actually film it in one take — covering so much ground and moving around so many tight spaces — was all from director Larysa Kondracki. It did a neat job of not only paying homage to Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh making a similar crossing (with an explosion, to boot), but also establishing how thoroughly the border police seemed to do their job in searching the ice cream truck, even though they fail to find the contraband that's being brought to Hector Salamanca. In that way, it felt like a magician rolling up his sleeves or sliding a hula hoop across the levitating woman as a way to prove there's no trickery going on, even though we in the audience understand that there's much more going on than we can see from where we're looking.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #179
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I did like that scene - although I was really hoping to see a Pollos Hermanos truck
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #180
Butter
Coordinator

Here's another article on that episode and shot, including some minor spoilers for Episode 9:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstj.../#687c512e7cc1

Last edited by Butter : 04-06-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #181
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
They are really pushing it with regards to how obnoxiously slow things are moving. Did we really need a 5 minute opening scene of a delivery truck going through an uneventful border check, introducing an as-of-now uninteresting new character?

Do you simply hate cinema or something?

I'm at the other end of the spectrum from your reaction. It's nice to see a well-done "mood" piece to open the show. I was basically a short film on it's own, but set something up for later in the show. The gas pedal doesn't need to be firmly pressed to the floor at all times.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #182
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I can't imagine what story there is to tell post Breaking Bad. I am in no rush with this series at all. I'm really enjoying it.

There are so many ways this could go. Saul has undergone very little character development, and there he is cowering at a midwestern mall Cinnabon. We know he has a powerful sense of moral justice. We know he thinks quickly and has no filter. He could Break Good and become a prosecutor who has to avoid the camera. If Kim somehow survives next season, he could find his way back into her life. He could become the world's leading cucumber water dealer. I trust that VG can come up with something. But I think the need to split Jimmy and Kim is looming right now. We like her too much.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #183
Jas_lov
College Starter

Last night's episode was the best of the series. Loved Kim standing up to Chuck even though she knew Jimmy was guilty, then slyly told him later to make sure to tie up all the loose ends. Both Mike and Jimmy's well intentioned actions ended in someone else getting hurt. I'm guessing Chuck is dead or in a coma and the start of Saul Goodman?

Last edited by Jas_lov : 04-12-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #184
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think Kim gets caught in the cross-fire. And good catch on the parallel between Mike and Jimmy.

It's interesting knowing how most of the relevant players in the Mike/Hector story-line will survive because we see them on Breaking Bad. That means that they will have to play that with less people dying than I would have expected.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #185
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Show keeps getting better and better.

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 04-12-2016 at 07:53 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #186
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm thinking we see a flashback to how Jimmy and Chuck's dad died and there is a parallel to what will cause the end of Chuck.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #187
Butter
Coordinator

That was a pretty great episode. Satisfying in many ways while setting up the finale really well.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #188
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They are the masters of using a season ending episode leaving the viewers wanting much, much more. Big questions out here for Jimmy and Mike.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 AM   #189
Radii
Head Coach

Loved the finale, loved the whole season. Fuck Chuck.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #190
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I did not expect the Mike twist. Which is why it's a twist.

So who left the note? The gunseller? That does not seem at all like his style. Gus Fring? If his drug empire is running at this point, he might be trailing the Salamancas, which would mean that he would be in a position to notice Mike. Others? Mike has not had a lot of social interactions in Better Call Saul, so I am leaning toward it being someone from Breaking Bad.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #191
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So who left the note?

Spoilering some "outside of the show stuff" just in case some people don't want to see comments from the creators or whatever.

Spoiler
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #192
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I like this show better than Breaking Bad.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #193
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At least we now know why the name change was necessary. I'll maintain that we're running out of Jimmy potential, though this is a quality show and I'm glad it got a third season.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #194
APC
Mascot

The last couple of episodes make Jimmy out to be a pretty stupid guy. He doesn't realize his brother will head over to the print shop until Kim tells him about it. As soon as Jimmy walked into his brother's house at the end of the season finale I said, "Chuck has a tape recorder somewhere. Keep your mouth shut, Jimmy." He didn't.

With Breaking Bad, we got to see Walt "Break Bad" over the course of the series. Eventually, we'll probably see the same with Jimmy, but unlike Walt, it might be Jimmy's stupidity that forces his turn.

I'm not really sure what Mike is up to wandering around the desert with a sniper rifle. This series moves painfully slow, but it's damn good.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #195
cartman
Death Herald

If the Gilligan crew has taught me anything, something that might appear straightforward very rarely ends up being that way.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #196
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
The last couple of episodes make Jimmy out to be a pretty stupid guy. He doesn't realize his brother will head over to the print shop until Kim tells him about it. As soon as Jimmy walked into his brother's house at the end of the season finale I said, "Chuck has a tape recorder somewhere. Keep your mouth shut, Jimmy." He didn't.

With Breaking Bad, we got to see Walt "Break Bad" over the course of the series. Eventually, we'll probably see the same with Jimmy, but unlike Walt, it might be Jimmy's stupidity that forces his turn.

I'm not really sure what Mike is up to wandering around the desert with a sniper rifle. This series moves painfully slow, but it's damn good.

Yeah I thought he had Howard or something behind the foil wall but the same idea of don't say anything because Chuck is setting you up.

I thought maybe the Chuck storyline would end this season but I guess we now will flashback and see what happened to Chuck's wife and how he became mental next season. I assume the flashback with the mom was just to show Chuck has some jealousy over Jimmy's ability to win everyone over while Chuck is the loyal hard working son.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #197
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I assume the flashback with the mom was just to show Chuck has some jealousy over Jimmy's ability to win everyone over while Chuck is the loyal hard working son.

Yeah, and tied in with the flashback scene with the wife where she loved Jimmy's lawyer jokes while Chuck's attempt at telling a joke that night fell flat.

My gut feeling is that the tape won't nail Jimmy, and Chuck once again will fall short of trying to play in Jimmy's space.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #198
Butter
Coordinator

All Jimmy has to do is say that he was just trying to humor Chuck, it seems to me. I don't think anything was said that can't be laughed off by Jimmy as trying to make Chuck feel better.

Maybe that's a cheap way out, but it is also the slimy lawyer way out.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #199
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just thought of something

JIMMY: "I would have made Nixon proud."

And, just like Nixon, Jimmy gets caught on tape talking about his felonies.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #200
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
All Jimmy has to do is say that he was just trying to humor Chuck, it seems to me. I don't think anything was said that can't be laughed off by Jimmy as trying to make Chuck feel better.

Maybe that's a cheap way out, but it is also the slimy lawyer way out.

But if they just end up spending a few episodes next season unwinding this, it also means that they ultimately wasted the opportunity for a better storyline that they could have used to anchor the end of this season.

I said a few episodes back that I was 100% cool with the slow burn aspect of this, and wasn't in a rush to get anywhere but having just caught up last night, I REALLY didn't like this. I'm just so completely tired of all the stuff with Chuck. If he died, and that caused Jimmy to reevaluate things (or go further down the road), I would have been good with that. If he got busted on this scam and it ultimately hurt his career and Kim's (and killed his relationship with her that he values so much), I would have been good with that.

But I just have absolutely no interest in going through more of the Jimmy-Chuck relationship and Chuck's issues. Like cartman said, Gilligan has earned a lot of latitude here so we'll see but I'll be heading into next season with much lower expectations than I had just a day ago.