Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Crusader Kings 3 - CK3, CKIII

Been reading the developer diaries. Thought it's time for a dedicated thread. Supposedly confirmed for sometime in 2020.

News | Crusader Kings 3

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
JPhillips
General Manager

Just remember that it will probably be a disaster at launch.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just remember that it will probably be a disaster at launch.

A $40 game quickly becomes a $90 game. At least its all on lay away.

If only I had the patience to learn this damn game. I would love it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I expect CK3 to be a heck of a game by 2022. As for me, it'll be a good long while, if ever, before I switch away from CK2. It's a great franchise, but I don't see the point in being an early adopter unless it's just the one game you want to play. That's not me. I don't have a problem with Paradox's development model given that you don't need the DLC to get the fixes/enhancements that are made to the core games.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-31-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

I will be an early adopter (was for Stellaris). I think if you learn it early and see the changes, evolution & the early foundation, it'll be easier vs 1-2 years down the road when there is dramatically more of the game.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm still trying to get my head around CK2. Got it a few months ago, still haven't been able to get a serious game going in it
Old 05-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

September 1

Hands-on preview: Crusader Kings 3 | Rock Paper Shotgun
Quote:
Crusader Kings 3 is coming on September 1st, and after having access to an early build for a few days, I’m seriously impatient to get back to scheming, disinheriting, and declaring myself the new pope. It’s got that terrible magic that leads to all-day-and-half-the-night sessions, and that’s largely because, secretly, it’s two games at once. It’s a strategy game, obviously. But it’s also a roleplaying game, and a really good one at that. So was 2012’s Crusader Kings 2, of course. But developers Paradox have been shrewd in identifying what made that weird hybrid work as it evolved through fifteen expansions, and have put it front and centre in CK3 from day one.

As it stands, CK3 is one of the few RPGs I’ve played that genuinely compelled me to try thinking like my character would, rather than just pushing for optimal outcomes. And it swiftly achieved what CK2 only managed at its best, in making me feel more invested in my pretend family of medieval gits, than I did in the nation they were ruling. And on top of all that, CK3 simply does a much better job of explaining itself than most of Paradox’s historical titles do. I think it’ll succeed in bringing previously reticent newcomers into the subgenre, but not by sacrificing complexity or depth. It is, quite straightforwardly, a well-designed game.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was a little excited to hear this earlier today, but then realized I didn't play CK II nearly as much as I should have (or still could, really).
Old 05-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

I alternate between incredibly excited for this, and worried that the more I see of it the more it feels like it's going to way of recent paradox games (generic historical sim set in x time period) rather than the unique game mechanics and character that made CK2 great.

I'm still going to buy it as soon as it's available let's be honest. And recognize that it's Paradox so it won't actually be decent for 18-24 months and without dropping $100 on DLC no matter what.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've been kinda increasingly soured on Paradox. The number of DLC's with increasingly limited new content/mechanics was grating on me, and they capped off my annoyance with the complete disaster that was Imperator.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I alternate between incredibly excited for this, and worried that the more I see of it the more it feels like it's going to way of recent paradox games (generic historical sim set in x time period) rather than the unique game mechanics and character that made CK2 great.

I'm still going to buy it as soon as it's available let's be honest. And recognize that it's Paradox so it won't actually be decent for 18-24 months and without dropping $100 on DLC no matter what.

Im in this boat as well
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Was a little excited to hear this earlier today, but then realized I didn't play CK II nearly as much as I should have (or still could, really).
*looks at the 682 hours played* Me, neither.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Streets nerding out over this and can't wait to start an AAR/dynasty with it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
*looks at the 682 hours played* Me, neither.

A measly 327 over here.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I missed out on the original CK, and joined CK2 a little late and definitely felt overwhelmed. So I'm somewhat tempted to pick CK3 up from the beginning. Having not played it enough to find out, my biggest question regards replayability. If I start with the same province, does the game typically play out in a similar fashion? Or is there enough randomness with the attributes of other characters, spouses, children, that subsequent games play out differently?

And while they are certainly touting it like the perfect time for a beginner to jump in, I can't help but feel the gameplay appears very similar to CK2. So will an enhanced Help system really help the newbie experience?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #16
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I caved and pre ordered....I knew I would eventually buy it so might as well buy it with a discount....greenman gaming has it for 15% off for VIP members. Hoping it is a little easier for newbies as this type of game is something I should love.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
If I start with the same province, does the game typically play out in a similar fashion?

I've never been able to get the hang of playing the series myself but have watched a downright silly number of Let's Plays/etc ... and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone play the same start twice.

I see where there are 15 recommended starts for each of the 2 possible starting dates in CK3, so there's 30 just from the recommended choices and that doesn't count there being options in every playable region and supposedly every single Tribal/Feudal/Clan ruler of Count level or above in the game being pickable.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-19-2020 at 07:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've never been able to get the hang of playing the series myself but have watched a downright silly number of Let's Plays/etc ... and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone play the same start twice.

I see where there are 15 recommended starts for each of the 2 possible starting dates in CK3, so there's 30 just from the recommended choices and that doesn't count there being options in every playable region and supposedly every single Tribal/Feudal/Clan ruler of Count level or above in the game being pickable.
Thanks for the preview link. Time for me to start digging in and seeing whether I can figure it out this time...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #19
MrBug708
Head Coach

Of course, they are working in a nudity aspect to the game as well, which is...different.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #20
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Of course, they are working in a nudity aspect to the game as well, which is...different.
Judging by the number of people that seem to marry their horse, this is troubling.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm impressed from that preview how much transparency they've added compared to CK1 and 2.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 AM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I caved and pre ordered....I knew I would eventually buy it so might as well buy it with a discount....greenman gaming has it for 15% off for VIP members. Hoping it is a little easier for newbies as this type of game is something I should love.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a pre-sale.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks, I didn't know there was a pre-sale.

Although I didn't realize this was going to be part of game pass subscription, which I already own

I am going to keep my pre order because I don't know how long I'll keep game pass, but I might have thought about it differently
Old 07-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, CK3 is up on Steam for pre-purchase for Sep 1.

$50 and $75 versions.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #25
GrantDawg

And just like Slyebell discovered, it is a part of the Xbox PC subscription.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
And just like Slyebell discovered, it is a part of the Xbox PC subscription.

As a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber (which means access to Game Pass PC), I'm completely on board with this discovery.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #27
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Seems like the natural evolution of Paradox's business model of practically giving the base-game away, a year or so after release, in order to keep interest in the never ending trickle of DLC.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #28
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I honestly don’t mind it at all. They get a ton of grief over it but honestly I can not complain about a game I have 4000 hours in giving me playability. Compare it to the seasonal roster update costs for most sports games and I think it fits in with what the market is willing to pay. Plus they give a ton of updates for free every dlc for those who don’t get them too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #29
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm not really all that critical of the Paradox model either cuz I figure each of their games would take 2-3 more years & a premium price point if they waited to release with a lot of those DLC features day-one, and the successful projects get years and years of active development and support & tend to (eventually) end up pretty robust as a result of that model.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-18-2020 at 06:47 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure CK3 vanilla will be enough game for me, I still have a tough time with CK2.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #31
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It upsets a lot of people but I think it's actually the development model that makes the most sense in this computing era.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #32
Edward64
Head Coach

Having experienced this model with Stellaris, I'm okay with it. Their DLC's are pretty substantial and you can get them on sale 2-3 times a year. I've definitely gotten more than the $50 or $60 bucks I paid for Stellaris and am sure that'll be true for CK3.

I rather get a somewhat buggy, incomplete but playable product out with the promise it'll be added to.

This is definitely better than the Star Citizen approach.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
Thomkal
Head Coach

Starting to see some CKIII content on some of my favorite YouTube Channels in anticipation of the game's release in Sept. Quill18 and a couple Yogscast channels.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

I almost bought this today, but with Avengers coming the same day I decided not to.

I would appreciate it if you guys wouldn't bump this thread. That would help me avoid this purchase. Thanks in advance for your kindliness.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #35
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Can't help you by not bumping Pre ordering and counting the days...
Old 08-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #36
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I almost bought this today, but with Avengers coming the same day I decided not to.

I would appreciate it if you guys wouldn't bump this thread. That would help me avoid this purchase. Thanks in advance for your kindliness.

I certainly would not want you to buy a new game, nope never
Old 08-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #37
GrantDawg

I get this with the Xbox game subscription. I am super hyped. Probably buying Avengers as well, though I will suck at playing it.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:43 AM   #38
Izulde
Head Coach

In a bit of a financial logjam (thanks HOA), so will have to wait until after I close on the house to get it. Planned on preordering to lock in the savings on DLC but oh well.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #39
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
In a bit of a financial logjam (thanks HOA), so will have to wait until after I close on the house to get it. Planned on preordering to lock in the savings on DLC but oh well.

It will be available on Xbox Game Pass if that helps. First month is $1 then $4.99 a month after that until you can buy it. That's how I tested the new Microsoft Flight Simulator on my PC to know if I wanted to buy it on Steam or not.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #40
Icy
Pro Starter

Just preordered it and yes, I think their business model makes total sense and thanks to it Paradox is now a succesfull company that provides awesome games.

I fact I'd love my other fav game, Football Manager to take a similar approach, with the base game and every year a new DLC with the new season changes, but working on the game engine non stop instead of rushing a new game every year with an obsolete match engine that is abandoned and untouched (I mean for us as customers) a few months after the release.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:53 AM   #41
Edward64
Head Coach

Last night I was watching some CK3 YT and got excited about Sep 1. So I went ahead and pre-ordered. Answered which credit card, for myself or gift etc., pressed enter, and got the message that I was trying to buy a game that I already had.

Went back and looked, and sure enough it was already there waiting for Sep 1.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I feel like I preordered this game 7 years ago by now

Old 08-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #43
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I feel like I preordered this game 7 years ago by now

lol

And now it will take another seven to release enough DLC to make it great.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #44
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

That’s fine with me I suppose. I don’t know how many of you were around when ck2 came out but it was fairly bare bones but was still a super enjoyable game that just kept getting better year after year (except for the Aztecs)

Old 08-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #45
GrantDawg

I agree, AlwnT. It was always a pretty solid game. The dlc just added more. From what I have seen of CK3, it looks pretty deep off the rip.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #46
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
lol

And now it will take another seven to release enough DLC to make it great.

I've come to grips with paying to be a beta tester.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #47
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm fine with it personally. I've gotten a ton of playtime and mileage out of the CK series, and am happy to support it. Don't want to end up like the Vicceh fans.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #48
spleen1015
Coordinator

I would like to see a game just like CK but in NA during colonial times.

I ended up biting the bullet and getting this. I'll have this and Avengers to tide me over until the next WoW expansion drops on 10/27.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #49
spleen1015
Coordinator

I bought CK2 right when it came out because of folks pumping it up here. I've watched Cringer play it a bunch and I never really understood the game. I'm watching him play CK3 today and I have no idea what's going on.

I hope to get into this one a lot more.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #50
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quill18 playing CK3 singleplayer/campaign on Twitch right now. Yogscast playing multiplayer