Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #6101
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They’re going to try the same thing in PA next year. Off cycle primary for only local races with a shitty deceitfully written anti-abortion amendment on the ballot. Can’t wait to see what happens.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #6102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Jon Stewart is the GOP's Kryptonite it seems. They remember what he did to Tucker Carlson years and years ago (although, like any other cockroach, Carlson has come back from the dead), and no one wants to volunteer to see if Stewart has his "One Punch Man" evisceration skills still.

Stewart before was calling out in a funny way. Now, he's just going to do the metaphorical equivalent of stabbing incessantly.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #6103
JPhillips
General Manager

Sounds like Sinema just wants some minor changes that shouldn't keep the IRA from passing.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #6104
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sounds like Sinema just wants some minor changes that shouldn't keep the IRA from passing.

She wants to keep the hedge fund loophole of course.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #6105
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
She wants to keep the hedge fund loophole of course.

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but it won't stop the bill.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #6106
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

I'm in St. Augustine this week and it's interesting how the GOP primaries are all about who will best please DeSantis. Every commercial is about how much he does or doesn't like the candidate.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:07 PM   #6107
Flasch186
Coordinator

So you saw that electrical storm the other night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:18 PM   #6108
RainMaker
General Manager

Bribing Senators pays off for hedge funds.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:31 PM   #6109
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm happy that they made a deal. But it's kind of weird that they didn't put them both in a room to work all this out in the first place.

Whatever. One step closer to a good law passing. Not as good as it could be. But good.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #6110
RainMaker
General Manager

This is actually a good idea.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 PM   #6111
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I just saw that and immediately thought of you, Rainmaker. Thought you might like that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #6112
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
So you saw that electrical storm the other night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. At one point my wife's face lit up and I said what happened and she said the whole sky lit up behind me.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #6113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Am I going to get a rebate for the Chevrolet electric car I bought last month? GM was out of rebates previously
Old 08-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #6114
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

These people are sick and I'm pretty sure they royally fucked up...

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #6115
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"Can you rephrase the question?"

"Can you provide a definition of 'failing to thrive' where the fetus is perfectly fine so I can provide an easy answer?"

"Can you use it in a sentence I can easily respond to?"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #6116
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
"Can you rephrase the question?"

"Can you provide a definition of 'failing to thrive' where the fetus is perfectly fine so I can provide an easy answer?"

"Can you use it in a sentence I can easily respond to?"

"Lastly, could you provide an opening for me to vaguely bring god into this and use as an answer?"
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #6117
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Re: Kansas referendum

After reading a bunch of analyses on the topic, the conclusion I'm coming to is that it turns out that an outright ban was the tipping point to make people sit up and notice.

Prior to Dobbs you had plenty of polls indicating that abortion rights just weren't the highest-importance issue for a large part of the electorate, including Democrats. The polling we're seeing after Dobbs, however, has very much changed. It's charged up Democrats and shifted opinions among Independents and even a small cadre of Republicans.

Which probably shouldn't be surprising given human nature and the fact that a lot of Americans really don't pay that much attention to political minutae.

On the first point, I'd posit that for most folks there's a difference between rights being restricted and rights being abolished. As long as the GOP was mainly doing the former, a lot of people couldn't bother themselves to care too much.

On the second point, I'd guess a huge number of Americans didn't really understand how GOP legislatures were restricting abortion access so dramatically. But then you have a huge news story like Dobbs and it suddenly hits home.

It remains to be seen if this carries Democrats home in this fall's mid-term election cycle, but the Kansas result (which included unprecedented turnout and huge voter registration numbers) definitely surprised a lot of people who watch this kind of thing professionally.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #6118
Ksyrup

I thought this was an interesting analysis of the ads that ran in Kansas:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #6119
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

After reading a bunch of analyses on the topic, the conclusion I'm coming to is that it turns out that an outright ban was the tipping point to make people sit up and notice.

Prior to Dobbs you had plenty of polls indicating that abortion rights just weren't the highest-importance issue for a large part of the electorate, including Democrats. The polling we're seeing after Dobbs, however, has very much changed. It's charged up Democrats and shifted opinions among Independents and even a small cadre of Republicans.

Which probably shouldn't be surprising given human nature and the fact that a lot of Americans really don't pay that much attention to political minutae.

On the first point, I'd posit that for most folks there's a difference between rights being restricted and rights being abolished. As long as the GOP was mainly doing the former, a lot of people couldn't bother themselves to care too much.

On the second point, I'd guess a huge number of Americans didn't really understand how GOP legislatures were restricting abortion access so dramatically. But then you have a huge news story like Dobbs and it suddenly hits home.

It remains to be seen if this carries Democrats home in this fall's mid-term election cycle, but the Kansas result (which included unprecedented turnout and huge voter registration numbers) definitely surprised a lot of people who watch this kind of thing professionally.

It puts the GOP in a tough position. True pro-lifers believe that abortion is the murder of a child. So it makes sense that they wouldn't allow any exceptions to an anti-abortion law. And they will demand that purity of their GOP reps.

But that puts them at odds with the majority of voters.

If the GOP could pass a law that says something like "Abortion is illegal unless a doctor certifies that it would be in the medical best interest of the mother," that would completely undercut the parade of horribles that the Dems are using to motivate voters.

But a true pro-lifer would never accept that law b/c it would, in their view, allow some otherwise preventable murders.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #6120
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, hopefully this will be the kind of thing that hoists the GOP by its own petard.

The analysis I read on 538 pointed out that the % of the electorate who is for abortion being illegal in ALL cases is very small. So basically Dobbs just might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. A majority of the electorate is OK with restrictions, decidedly NOT OK with illegal-no-exceptions.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #6121
Ksyrup

If you read the ad analysis, it's interesting that they ran a mix of ads highlighting the extreme (no exceptions for rape, incest, etc.) and anti-government mandate messaging. Theoretically, some of the anti-mandate stuff may have pulled from the GOP support, likely those who may not view the abortion issue on strictly religious terms.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #6122
GrantDawg

Senator Warnock is saying that his $35 cap on insulin is in the bill. That really is huge.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #6123
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://twitter.com/chuckgrassley/st...ATUaOmOkL_B0FA

I am not kidding when I say that I respect the level of IDGAF it takes to say “put Republicans back in charge because Mitch McConnell does not mess with my vacation schedule.” Respect.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #6124
GrantDawg

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm..."
Old 08-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #6125
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ort-july-2022/

what in the actual fuck is going on with the economy? Good/bad, whatever
Old 08-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #6126
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ort-july-2022/

what in the actual fuck is going on with the economy? Good/bad, whatever

It seems to be doing decent for the average worker which is making economists and rich people incredibly mad because it's leading to an increase in wages.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #6127
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Things that make you go "hmmmmmm..."

I don't think she is making those decisions. Someone joked that you should just negotiate directly with the lobbyists who are giving her money and save the time.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:25 PM   #6128
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's not a joke, that's reality.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #6129
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I am not kidding when I say that I respect the level of IDGAF it takes to say “put Republicans back in charge because Mitch McConnell does not mess with my vacation schedule.” Respect.

Retire right now Chuck and you can have all the reunions you want for what's left of your life.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:24 PM   #6130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

That's why Roberts was always content to just keep grinding away abortion rights with things like limited bans and more procedural stuff like admitting privileges that really stops abortions but requires paying attention to the details

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:42 AM   #6131
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's why Roberts was always content to just keep grinding away abortion rights with things like limited bans and more procedural stuff like admitting privileges that really stops abortions but requires paying attention to the details

SI

Brings to the mind the old saw about boiling a frog. If you do it slow enough, the frog never notices its danger until it's too late to hop out. If you turn up the heat too fast, the frog will instantly jump out. And in this case, the frog (being women and folks who support theoretical abortions, even if it with some restrictions) jumped out and realized that yeah, they're not interested in degree. It's right and wrong to them.)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #6132
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Remember when Chris Coons decided not to call witnesses during the impeachment trial because he wanted to get home for Valentine's Day?
Old 08-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #6133
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Senator Warnock is saying that his $35 cap on insulin is in the bill. That really is huge.
The is still in, but the f-ing parliamentarian has ruled it doesn't fit reconciliation. So the Democrats are forcing the Republicans to vote it out of the bill. It looks like they will. Republicans will never miss the chance to stand in the way of anything that will benefit the poor.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #6134
Edward64
Head Coach

Insulin has been around a while and don't really understand why there are not generics to lower the cost.

I know pharma's will tweak formulas to extend their patents but assume 2022 - 20 years insulin formula still works well.

I'm guessing this problem exists for numerous other drugs.

So how about the government provide incentives for generic companies to expand their portfolios, or to increase number of generic companies. You'd think this will save on Medicare and Obamacare costs also.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-07-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #6135
PilotMan
Head Coach

better to incentivize, dictate, or just let full free market capitalism decide?

In this case....with a life saving drug that certain people are required to have....dictate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #6136
GrantDawg

Sure enough, the Republicans blocked it though it was only three votes short of breaking the filibuster. Mit Romney once again proves he is a POS.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #6137
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really think that the R's just go around and draw short straws to see who will put in some token votes, and who will vote against, just so it looks like it was sort of supported by some, but ultimately opposed in general. Like you can't tell me Hawley wanted to support that part of the bill.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #6138
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I really think that the R's just go around and draw short straws to see who will put in some token votes, and who will vote against, just so it looks like it was sort of supported by some, but ultimately opposed in general. Like you can't tell me Hawley wanted to support that part of the bill.

This is one I'm perfectly happy to Both Sides. That has happened for a long time on both the Dem and GOP side - like Lieberman took the fall for the Public Option but if it wasn't him, it was going to be Max Baucus or someone else who was highly paid by the insurance industry. For the longest time John McCain (Lindsay Graham, too) was allowed to be the "maverick" vote on so many things that didn't matter - though I think his thumbs down vote on the ACA repeal was personal and not planned.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-07-2022 at 12:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #6139
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

At least the insulin cap is still in on the medicare side.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #6140
GrantDawg

Except a lot of people won't live to get Medicare because if this bill.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #6141
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Insulin has been around a while and don't really understand why there are not generics to lower the cost.

I know pharma's will tweak formulas to extend their patents but assume 2022 - 20 years insulin formula still works well.

I'm guessing this problem exists for numerous other drugs.

So how about the government provide incentives for generic companies to expand their portfolios, or to increase number of generic companies. You'd think this will save on Medicare and Obamacare costs also.

Only 3 companies make it and they have banded together as a cartel to fix the price. It is also illegal to import it from other countries so there is no competition.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #6142
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can’t they just declare diabetes a public health emergency and bypass a lot of the pricing rules? I also read something about how an off label monkey pox treatment requires a 27 page application and that type of stuff is total nonsense.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #6143
Ksyrup

Legislative cosplay is all it is.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #6144
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
better to incentivize, dictate, or just let full free market capitalism decide?

In this case....with a life saving drug that certain people are required to have....dictate.

My preference is incent. Assuming we can break from the special interests & lobbyists, I can see a heavily subsidized generics industry really help bring costs down with the most popular drugs (after the 20 year patent wears off).

I don't think it'll necessarily help with less (currently) impactful diseases like Monkey Pox though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #6145
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can’t they just declare diabetes a public health emergency and bypass a lot of the pricing rules? I also read something about how an off label monkey pox treatment requires a 27 page application and that type of stuff is total nonsense.

Yes, they can do that. They can also starting importing it from overseas and flood the market with it.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #6146
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Legislative cosplay is all it is.

Can't have dems getting credit for saving lives with their legislation this close to mid terms.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #6147
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 08-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #6148
Atocep
Coordinator

Conservatives are countering the obstruction to the insulin price cap by attacking Biden for killing the EO that Trump issued that would have put a cap on insulin prices.

The key difference is the Trump EO would have had almost zero impact at all. It was only for very low income families that are seen at Federally Qualified Health Centers. Only about 9% of people in the country are seen at a FQHC and then you factor in the fact that you would have had to make 350% under the federal poverty line and it was an EO that wasn't really going to help anyone.

However, when presented with something that would have helped with insulin prices the pro life party made sure it didn't succeed.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #6149
GrantDawg

Reading through all of the proposed amendments, Republicans really didn't want that IRS expansion to go through. They also tried really hard to ram through that SALT cap for at least one year. That would mostlt screw people in Blue states, plus could be called a middle class tax increase.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:48 PM   #6150
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know enough about the district to predict anything, but the primary for Ilhan Omar is surprisingly tight right now.