Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Hail to Thee, Park High (And Others): TCY/FOF

So the return of the Golden Scribes has me wanting to crack back into this. It's quick, it's easy, and it's fun to do high school alma mater TCY/FOF dynasties. Most of you, if not all of you, know from previous versions of this that Park High is traditionally known for its running backs, but naturally there's no way to model it in this game.

I don't recall if I've ever included the logo before, but I'll do it in a later post if I remember.

As always, the Sol-8 will be in Wisconsin to maximize the chance of a Park High recruit.

However, I will be making a slight change this go-round. For those years where there are no Park recruits, I'll take the highest ranked of the three Racine schools' in the game and I'll also keep tabs of any Top 1000 players from Park, Case, or Horlick. St. Catherine's, Racine Lutheran, and Prairie are not included in this game, and although I'm tempted to include Burlington, as it's still Racine County, I'll stick with the city of Racine schools.

I'm disgusted with the first roll, which has Case and Horlick both high 70s Athletic/low 90s Academic. That's not realistic for the Eagles, one of the worst football programs in the state, nor is that realistic for the Rebels academically. Case I could potentially buy that high academically though, with their IB classes. Park, incidentally is 40 Athletic/42 Academic.

Dice Roll: Attempt 2
Case: 39 Athletic/16 Academic
Horlick: 30 Athletic/1 Academic
Park: 27 Athletic/52 Academic

2004 Season
Two Horlick Rebels are the only players up for mention in the opening season, and while both are horrible, we'll take a look at the highest one.

OLB Grady Ripken
25 rating (PGS). 10th OLB in the state. 1.98 GPA. Yeah, good luck, Grady.

As expected, Grady gets nary a call. Instead, he'll get a job at Johnson's Wax working the assembly line after high school. Good luck with life, Grady!

Tennessee demolishes Oklahoma 34-10 in a very boring national title game.

The rolls for Case and Park are revealed and while I still disagree with Case being the highest rated Athletic prep school, the numbers are low enough that I won't re-roll.

We have 2 Panthers up for D-I consideration this year, with one of them actually having a decent shot at catching on somewhere.

RB Dave Brooks
65th best player in the state, #2 RB. 3.33 GPA, 1134 SAT. Equally values Team Prestige and Academics. Good attitude. 29 rating, Breakaway runner. Hmm, maybe not likely to get recruited after all.

FB Brent Hardy
19 rating. Pass.

Another year, no interest in the guys we're watching. Oklahoma again makes it to the national title game, but they lose 38-24 to Ohio State.

Dave Brooks did, however, get into Michigan and he'll be a Wolverines fan for life.

A Park High prospect is here, but he won't make it. Ditto a Horlick senior.

C Carl Klug
19 rating.

Ohio State wins its second straight national title, a 42-39 thriller over Florida. The Buckeyes are looking awesome these days.

Two borderline prospects, one from Park and one from Horlick who I'll include just because we need some college guys to track.

WR Tommy Hanson - Park
36 rating (Fair scout). Kick return ace who is 68th best in the state, 10th best WR. Numbers crunch might see this Academics-centered intended Social Work major sidelined, though.

S Morris Hazel - Horlick
78th best player in the state, 7th best safety. Cares equally about Distance and Team Prestige. 36 rating by Excellent Scout. Real ballhawk with 3 interceptions already this season.

Shockingly, no contacts for another year. Hanson and Hazel are both going to D-3 schools since they're good enough to play football there. USC and Georgia make it an all-new national title game, with the Trojans 27-17 victors over the Bulldogs.

One Park player who doesn't have a shot and three Horlick players, all of whom might have a chance.

G Ralph Edge - Park
26 rating.

RB Jackie Stargell - Horlick
92nd player in the state, 11th best RB. 34 rating so probably not, but you never know.

T Lamont Griffith - Horlick
43rd best player in Wisconsin, 6th best OT. 51 rating run blocker, but has a terrible attitude and with a 1.99 GPA, a real academic risk. Still our best shot yet to land a Racine player in Division I. Distance and Team Prestige hold equal weight.

DT Herris Cheyne - Horlick
Blew off the SAT, but 65th best player in the state, 6th best DT. 36 rating a run-stuffer.

Week 4
WE HAVE A SCHOLARSHIP OFFER!!!!!
Actually, make that *two* scholarship offers. T Lamont Griffith of the Racine Horlick Rebels has scholarship offers from East Carolina and Wyoming. Go Pokes! The ECU Pirates are considered the favorites, though.

Week 6
Connecticut contacts T Lamont Griffith.

Week 8
T Lamont Griffith visits both ECU and Wyoming. The Pirates are still heavily favored, but rumor has it if a school closer to home were interested, he'd go there instead.

Week 9
Interest is heating up in T Lamont Griffith. Mississippi State invites Lamont to walk on and San Jose State makes contact.

Week 10
UConn and Mississippi State make formal scholarship offers to T Lamont Griffith and he's off to visit them both this week. San Jose State drops out of the race. Mississippi State and UConn are the new favorites, with the Bulldogs holding a slight edge.

Week 11
T Lamont Griffith drops ECU and Wyoming from consideration, leaving it down to UConn and Mississippi State. I still say it's the Bulldogs who will get his commit.

Week 12
Northern Illinois contacts DT Harris Cheyne. Could we see two Racine players making it to Division I in the same year? Meanwhile, UConn got tired of waiting for T Lamont Griffith to make up his mind, so they dropped him. Mississippi State is Griffith's sole remaining scholarship offer, but Lamont doesn't want to go that far away from home.

Week 13
DT Harris Cheyne gets contacted by Houston and Mississippi State pulls T Lamont Griffith's offer, leaving him with zero scholarship opportunities and zero contacts.

Week 14
T Lamont Griffith wasn't left alone for long. Clemson, Iowa, and Middle Tennessee State came rushing in with scholarship offers and Toledo offered a walk-on spot. The Tigers, Hawkeyes, and Blue Raiders are each getting visits this week and Iowa is the prohibitive favorite.

Conference Championship Week
DT Harris Cheyne gets a walk-on offer from Northern Illinois, [b]but the big news is that T Lamont Griffith had made a decision!!!!! The Horlick High Rebel will be attending...

MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE BLUE RAIDERS!!!

At the press conference announcing his signing, Lamont Griffith said, "I was real tempted by Iowa, because who wouldn't want to play for a Big 10 team? But Middle Tennesee State said I'd have a chance to play right away and I'm not going to college to be no damned cheerleader. Go Blue Raiders!"

MTSU has gone 31-25 from 2004 on and lost the Used Car Bowl 14-21 to Navy last season. This year, the Blue Raiders are 8-3 (7-1) in the Sun Belt and are a lock to go to another bowl game.

Minor Bowl Week
DT Harris Cheyne had all interest in him dropped. T Lamont Griffth watched with great pride as the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders beat UW-Oshkosh 24-17 in the Happy Fun Bowl. (Note: I'll be changing the bowl names as our Racine players get to them).

Ohio State won its third straight national title, shutting out North Texas 38-0.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

2009 Season

T Lamont Griffith (FR) - Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (Horlick)
Lamont is 5/61 and the lowest current rated of 4 tackles on the roster. That said, he has the highest upside of all but one of the OTs (a fellow freshman is 18/100), so the chances of his being an eventual starter look pretty darn good. He's pretty depressed about not getting more significant playing time, doesn't have a girlfriend yet, and is feeling very far from home right about now.

There's a good number of Racine players up this year, including some that should be playing D-I ball. Only one Park player, total, though.

T Mercury Fields - Park
Trying to be the first Panther to break the D-I barrier and follow in Griffth's Racine T footsteps. 33 rating. 94th in the state, 10th best OT. Probably not, but you never know.

WR Cole Boyer - Case
50th best player in WI, #5 WR. 42 rating and has a nose for catching the ball in traffic. Average academically and he really, really wants to go to a prestigious program, preferably close to home.

CB Calvin Godfrey - Horlick
Godfrey is godly on the football field. #372 in the entire country, and the nation's 13th best cornerback. He's rated the #4 player in the state and the top cornerback. Already has 8 interceptions in just 4 games and has a 79 rating by an Excellent Scout. Ironically enough, despite the picks, interceptions are considered his weak spot, man to man defense his strength. Can you say shutdown corner and possible NFL pro? Major academic risk, though, with a red SAT score (579) and just barely passing classes (2.09 GPA). Like Boyer, he wants a power program first and foremost, as close to home as possible. Can we say probable Badger?

S Damon Thompson - Horlick
Godfrey's defensive backfield mate is 67th overall in the state, 11th best safety. Lousy attitude, but his 37 rating and run defense ability may draw him some looks.

Week 2
CB Calvin Godfrey gets immediate scholarship offers from UW-Oshkosh and UW-Madison. He's also contacted by West Virginia. Much to everyone's surprise, he visits the Titans right away. Could they have a steal on their hands?

Week 3
WR Cole Boyer gets contacted by Rutgers and CB Calvin Godfrey's cellphone continues to blow up. He now has offers from Lawrence, Pittsburgh, and UW-La Crosse, and he's visiting Madison, the Badgers still the overwhelming favorites to get him.

T Lamont Griffith gets in for a single running play in the Blue Raiders' 34-6 win over Kentucky. Middle Tennessee State is 1-1 after losing 32-26 to New Mexico on the road.

Week 5
WR Cole Boyer gets a scholarship offer from Rutgers, but I don't think he's likely to take a school so bad in football and so far from home. CB Calvin Godfrey is contacted by Georgia and makes Pittsburgh his surprise third visit. CB Calvin Godfrey also becomes our first Wisconsin All-State player.

Week 6
WR Cole Boyer is contacted by Ball State and gets a scholarship offer from UW-Whitewater. He immediately visits the Warhawks and I have a feeling he'll commit, Whitewater's horrid prestige notwithstanding.

Week 7
WR Cole Boyer decides to take the free visit of Rutgers as long as it's there. CB Calvin Godfrey is down to his Final Five of Lawrence, Pittsburgh, UW-Oshkosh, West Virginia, who threw in an offer finally, and Madison. We're still betting the Badgers.

Week 8
[b]All-State CB Calvin Godfrey of the Horlick High Rebels has made his decision! He'll be attending....

THE UW-OSHKOSH TITANS!!!!

At his Signing Day, Calvin Godfrey said, "I know everyone thought I was going to Madison, but when I visited there, I felt like just another number. The Titans staff really made me feel welcome and they've made it to a bowl game the last two years. I feel like I can help take them to the next level and that UW-Oshkosh is the right place for me to go to the next level."

Grr. That means a fake college name in FOF that I won't be able to change if he gets that far.

Week 9
WR Cole Boyer gets a walk-on offer from Ball State and Central Michigan makes contact.

T Lamont Griffith makes a special teams appearance in the Blue Raiders' 45-26 over Louisiana-Monroe. Middle Tennessee State is now 4-2 (3-0). They're one of two teams, along with last year's shocking national title game maker North Texas, who are undefeated in the Sun Belt.

Week 10
WR Cole Boyer loses both scholarship offers and now has only Central Michigan's contact on his roster. S Damon Thompson gets contacted by New Mexico, but he wants to stay close to home most of all.

Week 12
WR Cole Boyer gets thrown a life-line with a scholarship offer from Louisiana Tech. He immediately takes a visit from the highest prestige school to offer him so far. New Mexico cuts S Damon Thompson off their list.

T Lamont Griffith gets in on 2 pass plays as Middle Tennessee State wallops Idaho 34-14. The Blue Raiders saw their conference hopes likely die out with an upset loss to Louisiana-Lafayette last week, but they're bowl-eligible at 6-3 (5-1) and have a huge game against #10 ranked North Texas next week. The game will be one of the regional telecast games on CBS.

Week 13
The Blue Raiders lost a thrilling 23-20 game to North Texas. T Lamont Griffith sat on the sidelines the whole contest, frustrated because he couldn't get in the game.

Week 14
WR Cole Boyer lost another scholarship offer, but he has a walk-on offer from Central Michigan still left in the list.

WR Cole Bowyer rejected Central Michigan's walk-on offer and he's now likely not to go D-I.

Middle Tennessee State finished 7-4 (6-2), but the Blue Raiders were snubbed by the bowls, angering T Lamont Griffith. His college career isn't off to the start he'd hoped for.

UW-Oshkosh stumbled, finishing 5-6 (4-3) in the WIAC, ending their two year bowl run. Hopefully CB Calvin Godfrey can help turn that around in the coming years.

Minor Bowl Week
We have an unexpected second commit! WR Cole Boyer of the Racine Case High Eagles will be attending...

THE BOWLING GREEN FALCONS!

Boyer was all smiles as he announced his signing, "I'll admit, I got really scared this late in the game, but I knew what I wanted, and what I wanted was a prestigious team in the Midwest. The Falcons give me that opportunity and I can't wait to hit the field for them!"

Bowling Green is 56-16 thus far and have been to four straight bowls, going 2-2, with a blowout win and blowout loss in each of the Amber Frey and Unrequited Love Bowls. This year, they went 8-3 before crushing Boston College 34-7 in the Unrequited Love Bowl and Boyer happily sported his Bowling Green gear as he watched the game.

The national title game was a thrilling shootout, with USC winning its second straight title, 51-48, over Florida, in what is doubtless the most exciting national championship game we've seen yet.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

2010 Season

T Lamont Griffith (So) - Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (Horlick)
Lamont increased to 8/62, but he also got suspended for the year for failing Geology. On the other hand, he did have an A- in Pokemon Training. He still thinks he may well have made the wrong choice and is still unhappy at MTSU.

CB Calvin Godfrey (Fr) - UW-Oshkosh Titans (Horlick)
25/73 would be good enough to make him a nickel CB right away for the Titans, but the coaching staff is going to redshirt him. With two seniors on the roster graduating, one of whom is the starter, we could see Calvin on the field often in the coming years. He's feeling good about his decision to go Oshkosh, where his high school sweetheart, Calista, is also a student. The issue, as with Griffith, is whether Calvin can stay academically eligible.

WR Cole Boyer (Fr) - Bowling Green Falcons (Case)
10/18 pretty much has Cole on the bottom of the totem pole with the Falcons, although redshirting this year should help. He's better than his fellow redshirting freshman, but said rival is 8/43. Boyer will live for the rare plays he can get. He's unhappy with being redshirted, because it means he'll be making zero contributions to the team this year.

One Panther and three Eagles this year. Sadly, Park will once again not be represented. In fact, just one of the four athletes will get a scholarship offer.

OLB T.J. Zabriskie - Park
7 Overall. 'Nuff said.

RB Rod Bruce - Case
Terrible attitude, but who cares with his #748 overall in the country ranking, 45th best RB in the US. He's rated the 22nd best player in WI, and the top RB. His primary concern is team prestige, academics a much lesser priority. Average academically, he's rated 70 and is cited for his punishing third down abilities.

Week 1
Lawrence jumps in with an immediate offer for RB Rod Bruce. Yeah, that's going to happen, Vikings.

Week 4
RB Rod Bruce breaks 1,500 yards rushing on the season in the same week he gets offers from UW-La Crosse and UW-Oshkosh. So far it's only the WIAC schools going for the top back in the state.

Week 5
RB Rod Bruce decides to visit UW-Oshkosh. Could the Titans pull off two straight upsets in securing top-flight Racine athletes?

Thus far, both Racine athletes have kept their redshirts.

Week 7
RB Rod Bruce becomes the earliest commit of this dynasty. He'll be suiting up for...

LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY VIKINGS!!!

"Appleton is just a really cool town", said Bruce when he announced his choice, "And Lawrence has a great reputation academically in the state, plus it's the only private university in the WIAC. I also really liked the opportunity to play against Calvin Godfrey rather than with him. It would have been nice to see bigger schools take an interest in me, but I saw what happened to other guys in the last few years and I didn't want that to be me."

Bowl Games
Middle Tennessee State once again went 7-4 (6-2) in the Sun Belt, this year taking third rather than second. And just like last year, they were shut out of bowl consideration.

UW-Oshkosh was a terrible 3-8 (2-5) and they'll really need to see Calvin Godfrey break out in his first year of official college football.

Bowling Green finished 8-3 (5-3) in the regular season, third in the MAC South. They got an invite to what was once known as the Argyle Socks bowl, but what is now called the Banana Republic Bowl. The bowl also moved from Williamsport, PA to San Francisco, CA, eventually amounting to a home game for opponent UCLA, who won the bowl in 2005. As expected, the Bruins mauled the Falcons 52-10.

Lawrence University's promising start went down in flames as they finished 5-6 (3-4), never able to get a real rhythm going in the WIAC.

Ohio State wins its fourth overall national title, downing South Carolina 31-19.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
I always liked this type of dynasty. Nice to see it back!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

if and when any of the players make it into a FOF draft file, i can help you update the file with the University of your choice... just send me a PM and i can alter the file.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

2011 Season

T Lamont Griffith (Jr) - Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (Horlick)
Griffith failed another lass and was kicked out of school. He applied for the NFL draft and didn't make it. Sad end for our first ever collegiate player. He saw the field for just 3 plays and some special teams work in 3 games in his freshman season. Lamont moved back to Racine, where he now works in construction.

CB Calvin Godfrey (RS Fr) - UW-Oshkosh Titans (Horlick)
Downgraded to 21/73 and yep, you guessed it. Academic probation for failing Astronomy. Sigh.

WR Cole Boyer (RS Fr) - Bowling Green Falcons (Case)
Cole really worked hard over the summer and put himself up to 20/20. He passed all his freshman classes, with his lowest grade a C-, and it looks like he'll be our first Racine city starter, as the Falcons are quite poor in that category. Still suffering from depression issues, but we'll see what being a starter does for him.

RB Rod Bruce (Fr) - Lawrence Vikings (Case)
Rod checks in at 42/47, which would put him in a battle for playing time at the RB spot, but he'll redshirt for now. There's one senior ahead of him on the depth chart, so chances are good he'll get some carries next year, if of course, he can stay eligible. He's feeling just fine with his college decision.

We finally have a Park High recruit worth talking about! There's five Racine area prospects this year.

T George Weston - Park
#417 overall in the country, 40th best tackle. #14 overall in the state, and Wisconsin's second best tackle. Team prestige and distance are held of equal value for this mammoth 6'8, 297 lb. beastie. Good attitude and 87 overall rating with respectable academics. He should get a ton of calls.

S Cole Gaylor (Park)
11 rating. Yeah, no.

G Josh Mayes (Horlick)
35 overall rating , 86th overall in state and 6th in position make him a bit iffy, but anything's possible.

Week 1
Minnesota, UW-La Crosse, and Madison call with scholarship offers for T George Weston. The Badgers have been beat before, but they're the clear front-runners here. Virginia makes contact.

Meanwhile WR Cole Boyer catches a pass for 8 yards in Bowling Green's 27-3 win over Virginia Tech.... and sprains his back, out 5 weeks. We just can't catch a damn break in this dynasty.

Week 2
Virginia makes T George Weston a scholarship offer, but it's UW-La Crosse that gets the visit. Could the Panther turn Eagle?

Week 3
Busy week for T George Weston. Iowa and South Carolina make contact. UW-Stevens Point makes an offer and he's visiting them, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. We'll still give this one to the Badgers.

Week 4
T George Weston cut down to his final five early. It's Minnesota, UW-La Crosse, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Madison and... Tulsa, who jumps in with a scholarship offer and makes the final dance on the card. Stevens Point is pushing hard, but so are the Badgers.

WR Cole Boyer is Questionable and has 2 weeks to go.

Week 5
WR Cole Boyer is Probable for the Week 6 game against Central Michigan.

Week 6
WR Cole Boyer is back and as a reserve receiver has 1 catch for 8 yards, reprising his Week 1 output. Bowling Green trounced CMU 34-7, and is now 3-1 (1-1).

Week 7
T George Weston has made his decision! Will it be another WIAC school that wins out? A Big 10 university? Or will Tulsa pull the upset? Weston will be playing for...

THE UW-LA CROSSE EAGLES!

Weston at his signing conference: "A lot of great schools came and talked to me and it was tough to choose, but Izulde Jestor is one of my heroes, so I wanted to go to his alma mater. I also hope to join Delta Sigma Phi fraternity and live at the house on Main Street."

Aw, thanks, Weston!

Meanwhile, no catches for WR Cole Boyer.

Week 8
G Josh Mayes is contacted by Kentucky.

WR Cole Boyer had his greatest game in his college career. 3 catches for 69 yards with a drop in Bowling Green's 17-3 loss to South Florida. The Falcons are now 3-3 (1-2) and probably aren't going to make a bowl game unless they kick it in gear.

Week 9
Bowling Green smashes Eastern Michigan 37-3, but WR Cole Boyer hyperextends his elbow and is Doubtful for 2 weeks. FML.

Week 10
WR Cole Bowyer catches 2 passes for 26 yards and his first collegiate touchdown!!!! Bowling Green wins 31-24 over Ball State, but Bowyer aggravates his hyperextended elbow and is Out 5 weeks.

Week 13
WR Cole Boyer is Questionable, but wants to play. He does, fighting through his injury for 3 catches for 24 yards in Bowling Green's 17-6 win over Northern Illinois. The Falcons are now 6-4 (4-3), and bowl-eligible after winning the regionally-televised game.

Week 14
It's another regional TV game for Bowling Green and the Falcons come up with a huge 45-20 win over Western Michigan to help their bowl case. WR Cole Boyer catches 2 passes for 42 yards and all in all, he's had a pretty decent year despite the injuries that kept him out of 3 games.

G Josh Mayes finally stops being strung along by Kentucky, who drop him after weeks of giving hope that he might at least get a walk-on offer.

Bowling Green's resume wasn't good enough to get a bowl game, snapping their streak. Big disappointment for Cole Boyer, who wanted to be the first Racine native to play in a bowl game.

UW-Oshkosh had a 5-6 (4-3) season, no thanks to some asshole CB getting himself academically suspended. He's talking about declaring for the NFL draft.

Lawrence had a winning season at 6-5 (4-3) but that won't get you a bowl game in the WIAC. On the other hand, a winning season is great when the school's 37-51 overall.

UW-La Crosse inverses the single digits, posting a 31-57 mark. This year they were 3-8, but with a somewhat encouraging 3-4 conference showing.

Michigan wins its first national title of the universe, beating USC 27-17.

2011 NFL Draft
CB Calvin Godfrey becomes the first Racine player to have his draft application accepted. He's so confident in his ability, he skips the combine.

CB Calvin Godfrey - UW-Oshkosh Titans
Racine, WI native and alum of Horlick High School never saw the college field after redshirting his freshman year and failing a course his sophomore season. One of the best man-to-man defenders in the draft, with good special teams ability. Very raw, but upside has intrigued some front offices around the league. Still, far too risky for a team to pick up, given that he's essentially been out of football for two years. Also one of the least intelligent players in this draft class. Doesn't care who he plays for, just wants to play and get a check.
Grade - 3.7 (3.8 Adjusted) - UDRFA

No surprise that he isn't drafted. On the other hand, he's 15/40, which gives him the 8th highest ceiling out of the undrafted cornerbacks. Let's see if he catches on anywhere in training camp.

He doesn't. 16/84 man bars and 60/70 special teams just aren't enough for him to catch on anywhere. Oh, what might have been!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

bbgunn: Thanks. I find opening it up to all three of Racine's high schools is making it more interesting. The academics, though, have me

Redhawk00: Thanks! I think I'll wait until someone truly legit comes through in the draft file, though.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

2012 Season

CB Cedric Godfrey - Rookie Free Agent (Horlick)
15/40 still. Probably won't get signed anywhere and will wash out, having wasted a promising football career.

WR Cole Boyer (RS So) - Bowling Green Falcons (Case)
Boyer fought through an injury-marred freshman season to play in 8 games and catch 12 passes for 177 yards and a TD with one drop. He's up to 26/26 and will likely be the 4th WR this year, as more talented players have started passing him up on the roster. Considering he began at 10/18 and an afterthought signing, though, that's some impressive strides. He's feeling pretty good about life at Bowling Green, although new girlfriend Amanda probably has a lot to do with it. The most shocking part about Boyer's college career so far? His 3.04 GPA, despite poor aspiration and intelligence.

RB Rod Bruce (RS Fr) - Lawrence Vikings (Case)
Rod put in good work over the summer and is now up to 51/51. He'll be fighting it out for the starting RB spot with last year's starter, a senior. Even if he loses the battle this year, Rod should be the starter come next season... if he can stay eligible that is. Two Ds are warning signs for the future, especially since one of them was in Astronomy, his major class. Right now, he's feeling decent about life at Lawrence, although he thinks classes suck.

T George Weston (Fr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Park)
Weston comes in shockingly rated 16/45. Needless to say, he'll redshirt. He's feeling miserable at the moment. A redshirt and no girlfriend make for a poor year, especially since there's many more higher ceiling guys on the roster than him.

Heh. Two Racine players this year, one Panther.

K Rob Cook
5 rating. Why is he even listed as a prospect?

Week 1
Bowling Green blanks Boston College 30-0 in a regional TV game and WR Cole Boyer has 2 receptions for 36 yards. Good start to the season.

Week 2
The national Game of the Week on ESPN features Bowling Green at #11 South Florida. In a gritty, defensive battle, the Falcons move to 2-0 with a 10-3 win. WR Cole Boyer catches a single pass, good for 13 yards. Bowling Green breaks in the Top 25 at #25 with the victory.

Week 3
Lawrence opens its season with a 31-6 rout of Troy and RB Rod Bruce opens the scoring with a 13 yard TD run in the first quarter on his way to Player of the Game! He rushed 21 times for 92 yards and 2 TDs and caught 3 passes for 33 yards. On the downside, he also had a fumble, but we also have our first Racine starter!

Bowling Green stayed unbeaten, destroying Ball State 52-21. Despite the blowout, WR Cole Boyer caught just one pass for 9 yards.

Week 5
#20 Bowling Green gets another regional TV game and goes to 4-0 after nipping Toledo 24-17. WR Cole Boyer was held catchless.

In WIAC action, Lawrence topped UW-Eau Claire 35-14 and RB Rod Bruce rushes 24 times for his first 100 yard game at 115 yards and 2 TDs. He also caught a pass for no gain.

Week 6
Temple's no problem for Bowling Green in a 33-7 romp, and WR Cole Boyer catches 2 for 33 yards. He may not be a key for the unbeaten Falcons, but Boyer's at least seeing some action every game.

Lawrence rolls up Eastern Michigan 35-21 and RB Rod Bruce rips off a beautiful 43 yard run for a TD on his way to 22 carries for 129 yards and 2 TDs. He also caught 2 passes for 13 yards and if he can keep this up, we might have our first collegiate award winner in this dynasty.

Week 7
Bowling Green is now #16 in the country and they'll get another televised game, this time against Marshall. Another blowout and the Falcons are now 6-0. 38-7 win over the Thundering Herd and WR Cole Boyer catches 2 passes for 34 yards and a TD, an 18 yard reception midway through the fourth quarter.

RB Rod Bruce continues to rock and so do the Vikings, who outscore UW-Stout 34-15. Bruce racks up 171 yards and a TD on 30 carries and gets a reception worth a whole one yard on a screen pass. After the victory, Lawrence also hits the Top 25 at #24.

Week 8
Yet another regional TV game for Bowling Green, this time hosting Ohio. Sadly, the Falcons' unbeaten run ends in a 27-20 upset loss to the Bobcats. WR Cole Boyer's 2 receptions for 33 yards are chilly comfort, indeed. Even worse, Boyer dislocates his elbow and is done for the season. Injury-plagued much?

Lawrence also catches a regional game, fighting against UW-Platteville.The Vikings, too, suffer a shocking loss, 17-14, notwithstanding RB Rod Bruce's 75 yard TD run of beauty on his way to 156 yards and the TD on 21 carries and one reception for 6 yards. He also had his second fumble of the season.

Week 9
The Vikings fall out of the Top 25 with the loss to Platteville, and rightly so. It's even worse when 1 win UW-La Crosse kicks Lawrence's ass 35-14, the Vikings held scoreless until the fourth quarter. RB Rod Bruce snaps his 100+ yard streak with his worst game ever. 13 carries for 30 yards. Sheer ugliness and it appears he may have hit a wall.

Week 10
Big game this week against 7-1 UW-Oshkosh in a regional TV game. Lawrence needs to win this one if they want even a remote chance at staying alive in the WIAC race. The Vikings pour their hearts out, but fall 35-32, a bitter defeat. RB Rod Bruce gets just 8 carries for 15 yards and 2 catches for 14 yards.

Week 11
A once promising season continues to go up in flames with a 41-35 loss to Stevens Point, despite RB Rod Bruce's return to form with 23 carries for 160 yards and a TD and 2 catches for 25 yards. The Vikings are now 4-4 and searching for answers.

Week 12
No relief in sight as UAB destroys Lawrence 42-17. Great 46 yard TD run by RB Rod Bruce, who struggled outside of that, ending up with 82 yards and the TD on 18 carries, a zero yard reception, and his third fumble of the year.

Week 13
A last ditch effort to save the season goes the right way, a 47-10 smashing of UW-Whitewater. RB Rod Bruce didn't get sexy yardage, but his 24 carries for 76 yards and 2 TDs and catch for 7 yards will work.

Week 14
It all comes down to this. Beat 2-8 Rutgers, and the Lawrence Vikings can at least salvage a winning season. The Scarlet Knights are cut down by the Vikings, 35-21, and RB Rod Bruce picks a great time to explode for 134 yards and a TD on 27 carries. He also gets a 9 yard catch and will be forgiven his 4th fumble, as it's over 11 games.

6-5 (3-4) won't cut it for a bowl game in the WIAC, but Bowling Green has put up a 10-1 (7-1) record and are ranked #12 in the country, facing off against #18 Miami (OH) in Bowling Green for the MAC title.

The Falcons win an ugly 14-12 game over Miami (OH) to win the MAC title. WR Cole Boyer has to watch in frustration as his elbow injury keeps him off the field.

The victory sends Bowling Green to the Amber Frey Bowl, which stays in San Jose, CA, but is renamed the Silicon Valley Bowl. WR Cole Boyer is listed as Doubtful for the game, but he's telling everyone he can play.

Incidentally, UW-La Crosse finished 4-7 (3-4). Yeah, the Eagles sucked.

Bowling Green crushes Oklahoma 48-7, but this time, team doctors don't allow WR Cole Boyer to take the field, saying it's not worth his risking his next two years to play in a minor bowl game.

South Carolina returns to the national championship and beats Penn State 13-10 in a dull, defensive slugfest.

RB Rod Bruce is named to the All-WIAC Second Team, finishing with 231 carries for 1,160 yards, 13 TDs and 4 fumbles. He also had 15 catches for 100 yards with 2 drops and returned 4 kicks for 83 yards, a 20.7 average somewhere along the way.

Congratulations, Rod!

In NFL action, CB Calvin Godfrey went unsigned, as expected.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

2013 Season

CB Cedric Godfrey - Free agent (Horlick)
No surprise that nobody wanted him in free agency, so he quietly retired and is now pursuing a career at McDonald's in the Twin Cities.

WR Cole Boyer (RS Jr) - Bowling Green Falcons (Case)
He's about hit his ceiling, inching up to only 27/27. He'll have another year as the Falcons' 3rd/4th WR, but with some supremely talented freshmen redshirting, this is likely Cole's last season as a somewhat significant contributor to Bowling Green's football success. He still feels good about being a Falcon, and he and Amanda are still together. A D in Marketing cost him his 3.0, but he's still pulling a 2.96.

RB Rod Bruce (RS So) - Lawrence Vikings (Case)
Improved to 54/54 and the 2nd Team All-WIAC RB returns from an 1,1160 yard, 13 TD season firmly entrenched as the Vikings' starter. Now if Lawrence can just make some noise in the conference season. Still treading water academically, but girlfriend Sue helps out, as does the staff. Feeling good to be a Viking, although he'd like it more if the team had success.

T George Weston (RS Fr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Park)
Busted his butt in summer workouts and shot up to 29/45. Big question is whether George becomes the top backup OT or not. He won't start this year, that much is certain, barring injuries. But with one of the starters graduating this year, if he keeps improving, Weston could start next season.

Six Racine athletes are being checked out, but just one Panther.

C Ian Spencer
26 rating. Whatevs.

That said, we've got some real good possibilities for D-I athletes.

RB Mitchell Thompson (Horlick)
52nd best athlete in the state, 4th best RB. 41 rating and a power runner. The real issue, of course, as it is with all Horlick players, is if he can stay academically eligible in college. Equal weight given to closeness and team prestige.

DE Vince Barnham (Case)
97th ranked DE in the US, 22nd best athlete in WI and the state's #1 DE prospect. Would prefer a close to home, prestigious team. 49 rating. My guess is he's another WIAC athlete waiting to happen.

FB Terry Ellard (Horlick)
How boring. 758th best player in the country and 19th best FB nationally. #10 in the Badger State and the #1 fullback. Wants a big-name school first and foremost, with academics an ironic second, given he bombed the SAT. On the other hand, his 2.41 GPA is respectable. 72 rating and a RB beast.

Week 1
RB Mitchell Thompson gets contacted by Baylor. FB Terry Ellard has scholarship offers from UW-Oshkosh and UW-Platteville and is contacted by San Diego State.

Bowling Green gets a regional TV game hosting Oklahoma State. The Falcons embarrass the Cowboys 56-7 and WR Cole Boyer catches a 12 yard pass. That victory abruptly vaults the Falcons to #3 in the country.

Lawrence has a higher priority regional TV game playing at vote-getter Notre Dame. And it's shocker in South Bend as the Vikings stun the Golden Domers 31-24! RB Rod Bruce scores the game-winning TD with 31 seconds left, a 14 yard run that also had him just breaking the century mark. 30 carries, 100 yards and a TD, plus 2 catches for 13 yards. Now the Vikings are now #13

UW-La Crosse opens the season at home versus Houston. No TV for the Eagles, but they pull out a thrilling 33-31 upset of the Cougars. T George Weston doesn't get to play, however, and he seems relegated deep into reserve territory. Silly early season rankings see the Eagles jump up to #18.

Week 2
RB Mitchell Thompson is contacted by Indiana. DE Vince Barnham finally gets some love, contacted by Arizona and New Mexico and offered a scholarship by UW-La Crosse.

#3 Bowling Green and #17 Temple. It's *the* national ESPN Game of the Week... and it's sadly a 10-3 snorefest. But the good guys are the winners and WR Cole Boyer was the Falcons' #2 receiver on the day with 3 catches for 31 yards.

#13 Lawrence hosts UAB in a classic trap game. No Viking catching here, Lawrence running out 31-13 winners over the Blazers. RB Rod Bruce carries the ball 28 times for 83 yards and 2 TDs and catches 2 for 8 yards.

Week 3
Slight change-up here. I'll present the games first, then recruiting, as it works easier that way.

Bowling Green drops to #12, but they have a third straight TV game, a regional matchup hosting South Florida. No snorefest on offense here, the Falcons routing the Bulls 33-10. Alas, WR Cole Boyer is shut out.

UW-La Crosse has their turn to take on UAB after Lawrence got done with them. Eagles and Vikings both out of the Top 25, as expected. And the Eagles fall 28-21 to the Blazers. T George Weston gets in on one crummy pass play.

RB Mitchell Thompson also gets contacted by New Mexico, but the big news here is that Ball State steps in with a scholarship offer. FB Terry Ellard gets a scholarship offer from Lawrence, who want the blocker paving the way for RB Rod Bruce. I'm really hoping that happens; it would be damned cool. DE Vince Barnham gets a scholarship offer from UW-Stout and is contacted by Kansas State.

And I think it's time to take a break for now. We're at the point now where it takes longer to write these up with so many players involved, so rather than do a season a post, I'll split it up into a few weeks at a time.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

You have me hooked...don't let this one go!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
You have me hooked...don't let this one go!

Thanks. It's amazing how much more involved it gets when you have three schools you're tracking versus one. And the bad dice rolls, especially for Horlick's academics, make it a real tense moment as to if they'll even graduate.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 4
UW-La Crosse is the only Racine athlete's school playing this week, squeezing in a regional TV appearance against #1 Michigan. Wolverines should win by like 50. 62-0 the final and Michigan of course won. T George Weston got on the field for 11 plays and was 1/1 in Key Run Blocks!. On the down side, he also surrendered a sack in 17 pass plays, but with 28 appearances, he got a huge amount of PT in Ann Arbor, and on TV!

UW-Stout steps in with an offer for FB Terry Ellard, as does Vanderbilt, the only non-WIAC school giving him a free ride thus far. DE Vince Barnham gets a scholarship offer from Kansas State added to the two WIAC offers.

Week 5
Conference openers in the WIAC. UW-La Crosse hosts UW-Oshkosh and Lawrence has a home matchup against UW-Platteville, the Vikings hoping to turn around their futile streaks in conference play on regional TV. Bowling Green starts the MAC season hosting Central Florida.

The Eagles continue to suck, falling 26-7 to the Titans. T George Weston sees the field for 4 run plays and 7 pass plays, unfortunately giving up a sack in pass protection, but at least it's more playing time.

Lawrence just barely squeaks by the Pioneers 31-28 to keep the unbeaten streak going. RB Rod Bruce played a major role in the win, 25 carries for 113 yards and a TD and 2 catches for 40 yards, a fumble his only miscue.

Wow! Just wow! I'm not shocked by Bowling Green's 45-7 steamrolling of UCF, but what does stun me is WR Cole Boyer's 3 yard TD run with 28 seconds on a reverse! Cole also caught 2 passes for 25 yards and he said after the game the rushing TD was the greatest feeling of his life.

The Falcons are ranked #11 and the Vikings got a few votes.

FB Terry Ellard signals his early leaders by visiting UW-Oshkosh, UW-Platteville, and Vanderbilt. The smart money is on the Titans, who appear to have the best mix of what he's looking for. DE Vince Barnham gets a scholarship offer from New Mexico, but the All-State DE is visiting UW-La Crosse. Be a huge coup for the Eagles if they could pull it off.

Week 6
Off to Northern Illinois the UW-La Crosse Eagles go, while Lawrence is blessed with a home game vs. Eastern Michigan. By the way, cool streak stat: The Vikings have scored exactly 31 points in each of their three wins this season, including the South Bend shocker in Week 1.

Lots of sexy scoring, but UW-La Crosse loses again, 49-34 to the Huskies. T George Weston gets in on 8 pass plays, giving up nary a sack this time.

The Vikings didn't score 31 this time. They scored 34 and routed the Eagles 34-3. RB Rod Bruce had the most amazing game I've ever seen - 35 carries for 211 yards and 4 TDs. Oh, and a 5 yard catch. Needless to say he was Player of the Game. Sadly, he was bested in NCAA Offensive Player of the Week by a Pittsburgh RB who ran for 287 yards and 4 TDs on just 24 carries.

DE Vince Barnham now has offers from Kansas State, New Mexico, Southern Mississippi, UW-La Crosse, and UW-Stout, but LaX is still his only visit. More importantly, though, FB Terry Ellard has made his decision! The All-State FB will be playing for...

THE UW-PLATTEVILLE PIONEERS!

Like I said, WIAC guy from the beginning. Man, I hate FB and O-linemen. They're so boring to track.

By the way, that 211 yard game Rod Bruce had? Ranks tied for 3rd all-time in Lawrence school history. The record is 292, done by Marco Henderson against SMU back in 2005. Henderson also had a WIAC-record 6 TDs in that game, and Bruce is tied with a bunch of others for second place in conference history with 4. In fact, Henderson's 6 rushing TDs is also tied for second in the entire NCAA's history with a guy from Arizona who did it against Oregon State in 2008. Ernest Shively holds the NCAA single game record with 8 rushing TDs for Boise State against Louisiana Tech in 2011.

Shively missed the 2012 season for academic suspension, but unlike the Horlick guys, was able to get his GPA up to stay in school. He's split time this year with a redshirt junior who rushed for 1,833 yards and 21 TDs in his absence last year and was an All-WAC 1st Team RB. How the hell that wasn't good enough to be an All-American is beyond me.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I can't wait to see if Rod Bruce makes it to the NFL. Cole I was hoping would be playing a little more. But some of the newer talent looks like it will do well.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I can't wait to see if Rod Bruce makes it to the NFL. Cole I was hoping would be playing a little more. But some of the newer talent looks like it will do well.

Considering the talent infusion that happens with TCY to FOF, my guess is Bruce will be very iffy to latch on in the NFL. The other big issue with Rod is, of course, the academics. Thus far he's stayed afloat, but he needs to keep that going.

Cole is actually getting a lot more PT than I ever thought he would, considering he showed up to campus as a 10/18 guy his freshman year and had all those injury problems his first two seasons.

I'm just rooting for him to finally be healthy for a bowl game and to record some stats. He's got two chances left.

As for the guys right now? Ellard's a Horlick kid. 'Nuff said there. Barnham is the one who intrigues me the most. The Eagles have done pretty well in this dynasty, the best of the three local public schools, so I'm hoping he'll turn out better than expected.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 7
#11 Bowling Green travels to Northern Illinois to face the same Huskies team UW-L dropped 35 on. Votes recipient Lawrence hosts UW-Stout and UW-La Crosse gets a home game against just outside the Top 25 UW-Stevens Point.

No surprise in the Eagles losing 25-10 to the Pointers. T George Weston gets a run play and a pass play under his belt. Granted, they're scrubtastic minutes, but at least he's seeing the field.

Lawrence slaughters Stout 42-6. RB Rod Bruce runs 24 times for 125 yards and a TD and grabs 2 balls for another 10 yards before sitting down to let the backups run it out.

Bowling Green shows its Top 25 cred by shredding the Huskies 51-21. Sadly, no catches for WR Cole Boyer.

RB Mitchell Thompson finally takes a visit of Ball State. San Jose State makes contact. DE Vince Barnham goes on a whirlwind visit tour, narrowing his final five to Kansas State, New Mexico, Southern Mississippi, UW-La Crosse, and UW-Stout. The odds still favor the Eagles, although I hear he's kind of intrigued by the Wildcats, too.

Week 8
UW-La Crosse has the only game this week, a short road trip to Eau Claire to take on the Blugolds. 31-3 loss. Wow, the Eagles are horrible. T George Weston goes 1/1 for in Key Run Blocks in 9 run plays and stays sack-free in 5 pass plays.

RB Mitchell Thompson gets a walk-on offer from UW-La Crosse. Guess Ball State didn't excite him.

Halfway Records
#11 Bowling Green: 5-0 (2-0) - 2nd in MAC South behind 4-0 conf Toledo
Lawrence: 5-0 (2-0) - 3rd in WIAC behind 3-0 conf UWSP and UWEC. Vikings are #26, just outside the Top 25.
UW-La Crosse: 1-6 (0-3) - 2nd to last in WIAC, their win over Houston giving them the edge on Stout.

Week 9
Bowling Green's back on regional TV, hosting Western Michigan, Lawrence has a massive regionally televised game on the road against #23 UW-Stevens Point that could go a long way to determining the WIAC and UW-La Crosse has off.

It looks close, but Western Michigan had a late, meaningless touchdown as Bowling Green won 29-21. WR Cole Boyer isn't shut out this time, as his 9 yard TD reception scores the game's first TD, turning a 6-0 game into a 12-0 one. (Falcons kicker missed the XP). Huge score and momentum changer there. That was Cole's only catch, but it was big.

UW-Stevens Point scored the first touchdown, but after that it was all Vikings in a 24-7 statement win. RB Rod Bruce wins Player of the Game in this critical matchup, rushing 33 times for 124 yards and a TD and matching Boyer's solo 9 yard reception, albeit without the accompanying 6 points. Major, major victory!

We have a signing! And it's RB Mitchell Thompson, who inks with...

THE UW-LA CROSSE EAGLES!

For the first time in this dynasty, we have two Racine guys playing for the same school at the same time!

Thompson said at his press conference, "I just didn't like Ball State when I went there. It felt too far away from home. The Eagles came at me with a walk-on offer and I was thinking about it, and then later in the week, the coach called me with a scholarship offer. I knew that was a sign and so I signed UW-L."

Let's hope George Weston can lay down some road for Thompson in the coming years and that my undergraduate alma mater can turn around their suckitude in this universe.

Week 10
Bowling Green moves up to #10 and gets a nationally televised game at home against -just- outside the Top 25 Toledo Rockets. Winner of this game probably goes to the MAC championship contest. Lawrence is now ranked #22 and hosts UW-La Crosse in a matchup of former Case teammates. Vikings hoping to avoid the overconfidence here.

UW-La Crosse adds 10 points in catchup mode in the fourth quarter, but it's still an easy breezy 30-17 Vikings victory. RB Rod Bruce made two highlight scores this game, a 23 yard TD run, and a 31 yard TD reception. No shocker to learn that he was Player of the Game, with 27 carries for 161 yards and the score, and 3 catches for 47 yards and the TD. T George Weston stayed flawless in key run block opportunities, going 1/1 in 3 run plays. He wasn't used on passing plays, as the Eagles' starting offensive line stayed in for every passing down in the game.

Toledo/Bowling Green was an instant classic. The Falcons edged out 13-12, scoring the game-winning touchdown with 53 seconds left on the clock to dodge the upset-minded Rockets. WR Cole Boyer unfortunately didn't catch a pass.

The big week concludes with our final Racine commit of the season. DE Vince Barnham, All-State DE will be going from the Case Eagles to...

The UW-La Crosse Eagles!

Another first is set, as we now have a player from each Racine public high school attending the same college at the same time!

That element was a huge role in Barnham's decision to commit to the Eagles. "I mean, how cool is that? Top players all repping the Racine schools, playing together on the same college team. I got a lot of respect for Mitchell, and George is doing his thing, too. Party at the Delta Sig house! Haha!"

The fact that it's my alma mater makes it even more special. Can these fellow Racinian natives be the ones to turn UW-L's football fortunes around? I sure hope so!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 11
Bowling Green's ranked 9th and #4 in the BCS rankings. The pressure's mounting with every game as they try to avoid a letdown on the road at Ball State. Lawrence travels to UW-Whitewater and UW-La Crosse, who along with UW-Stout and Whitewater are winless in WIAC play, host the Blue Devils of Stout.

Close game, but the Eagles just can't pull it off, losing 31-24. T George Weston gets in on a single pass down.

WR Cole Boyer scores the game's first touchdown, a 13 yard reception, and the Falcons roll the Cardinals 58-0. Just like Boyer's last TD catch, it was his only one of the game, but Cole did get a 2 yard run on the reverse they call every once in a great while.

The Vikings find themselves down in a shocking 14-0 hole to the winless Warhawks after the first quarter, but RB Rod Bruce carries the team on his back, winning Player of the Game and sealing the victory with a 15 yard TD run with 23 seconds remaining to make it 31-21. Bruce scored 2 rushing TDs to go with his 110 yards on 27 attempts and he also caught 4 passes for 25 yards.

Week 12
Miami (OH) is coming to Bowling Green for this weekend for a regional TV game, while other regional viewers will be watching #18 Lawrence play vote-getter UW-Eau Claire, in what is being billed as the unofficial WIAC title game. UW-La Crosse travels to Platteville to play the Pioneers in a battle of the schools our three seniors will be attending next year.

FB Terry Ellard gets bragging rights as UW-Platteville destroys UW-L 54-9. T George Weston finally whiffed on a key run block opportunity, his first miss of the season, as he saw 4 running plays. He didn't surrender a sack in 7 pass plays, though.

Falcons and Redhawks fight to an exciting finish, an overtime game that sees Bowling Green come out 27-20 winners to keep their unbeaten season alive. WR Cole Boyer made 2 catches for 24 yards, his best showing in a while.

Lawrence has a much easier time of it, riding Player of the Game RB Rod Bruce to a comfortable 33-21 win, all but guaranteeing the Vikings the WIAC title. Bruce rushed 33 times for 146 yards and 2 TDs, including a 31 yard rumbling rambler. He also tacked on 3 catches for 37 yards.

Week 13
#8 Bowling Green to Eastern Michigan, #15 Lawrence to UW-Oshkosh in the last WIAC game of the year, and UW-La Crosse hosting UW-Whitewater in the Eagles' final game of the season. Last shot for UW-L to avoid going winless in the WIAC and last place.

Incidentally, the Lawrence/UW-Oshkosh game is a moot point. Every team beneath the Vikings is 4-2, so the Lawrence Vikings are your official 2013 WIAC Champions!!!

UW-La Crosse plays its most complete game of the year, maybe even more so than the Week 1 upset against Houston. The Eagles completely annihilate the Warhawks 42-7 to avoid last place in the WIAC. T George Weston blanks another key run block opportunity, but he gets in for 10 running plays. Unfortunately, he also gives up a sack in just 2 pass plays.

Bowling Green stomps Eastern Michigan 42-10, WR Cole Boyer shockingly held catchless.

It's a regionally televised game for the Vikings, but with the conference title wrapped up, do they really have the drive to play hard? A 33 yard touchdown run by RB Rod Bruce to open the scoring on his way to an umpteenth Player of the Game award says yes, and Lawrence just does enough to secure the 27-24 victory. Bruce rushes 29 times for 147 yards and the TD, with 2 catches for 9 yards in the bargain.

Week 14
Bowling Green continues its Michigan trip, finishing out the regular season at Central Michigan on regional TV. Lawrence gets a mass regional TV game hosting Rutgers as the Vikings and RB Rod Bruce fight for an undefeated season.

By the way, the Falcons have already clinched a spot in the MAC title game, courtesy of their beating Toledo. But to lose to a woeful CMU team would be an embarrassment. Happily, Bowling Green takes care of business, downing the Chippewas 41-20. WR Cole Boyer has 3 catches for 32 yards and a TD in the rout. Nice game for him.

41-13. And it's the WIAC over the Big East! Lawrence's amazing, storybook season continues, with RB Rod Bruce Player of the Game with 29 attempts for 166 yards and 2 TDs and 2 catches for 12 yards.

Bowling Green is still #8 in the country. They're #6 in the BCS rankings, with a shot at a BCS bowl. Their opponent? 7-4 Akron, the AI controlled "user" team. I'm tempted to go in and tank the Zips' lineup, but that'd be wrong. The Falcons have to earn it on the field.

And earn it they do! Bowling Green wins, 41-10!!!! MAC Champions!!! MAC CHAMPIONS!!!!! BRING ON THE BCS!!!!! But amidst all the joy and the celebration, WR Cole Boyer is left with the sad fact of no catches, no carries, no nothing.

Minor Bowl Week
For their undefeated season and WIAC title, #15 Lawrence gets the least of the bowls, the Happy Fun Bowl, against #20 North Texas. What a horrible thing to do two Top 25 games. As a consolation, the bowl is renamed to the Rainbow Bowl and is moved from Los Alamos, NM to Honolulu, HI.

Meanwhile, Bowling Green goes to the #2 bowl in the entire country!. Although originally called the Angelica Bowl, to me, the biggest bowl outside of the national title game has always been the Rose Bowl, even though there are other bowl names I like better. So, welcome to Pasadena, California, Cole Boyer. You and your Falcons have earned this. Milton-Freewater, OR is a terrible place to hold a BCS bowl, anyway. Oh, there's no Pasadena in the game. Well, we'll just use LA then. Close enough.

The TV networks did right by the Vikings and Mean Green, though. They made the Rainbow Bowl the #1 bowl of Minor Bowl Week, hyping it up across the country and making sure the game appeared in as many households as possible.

Rainbow Bowl Preview
On one side is the North Texas Mean Green, who are 3-1 in the Rainbow Bowl (2007, 2009, 2011 victories over WIAC competition, 2010 loss to UW-Stevens Point). They've played the UW-Stevens Point Pointers in a bowl game for the last four straight seasons, going 2-2 against them, the most recent, a heartbreaking 27-26 loss, in, of all things, the Unrequited Love Bowl. The Mean Green also made a national title game appearance in 2008, where they were shut out 38-0 against Ohio State. They're 91-25 in this universe, 3-3 in bowl games.

On the other side are the Lawrence Vikings, holders of a 54-56 overall record and appearing in their first bowl game ever. Prior to this season, the Vikings have never finished higher than 6-5 and now they're chasing a possible undefeated season.

North Texas may have gone 9-2 (5-2) this season, but the #20 ranked Mean Green boast a formidable rushing attack that finished #2 in the country and were ranked #15 against the run, #25 in fewest points allowed. North Texas also ranked #7 in the country in third down conversions (46%) and 17th in scoring (33.8 pts/game). They're a gritty, pounding hardnosed football team that wouldn't be out of place in the Midwest. It's an experienced squad that will throw everything they have at this newcomer Lawrence side.

North Texas Mean Green Top Players
RB Dave Cassidy (Sr) - 210 carries, 1,119 yards, 5 TDs, 1 fumble
-The 2012 Sun Belt MVP and Offensive Player of the Year was also a 2011 All-Sun Belt 2nd Team RB. His TD numbers were down this season, but he averaged 5.3 yards a carry and is a dangerous, dangerous back.

DE Howie Wright (Sr) - 9.5 sacks, 11 TFL, 18 hurries
-2011 All-Sun Belt 2nd Team DE struggled with injuries last year that limited him to 6 games, but he responded with an excellent season in his final year, his first as a full-time starter. The Vikings' offensive line will have to watch him closely.

Lawrence's 11-0 (7-0) record came at the expense of their WIAC foes, but they were still just behind the Mean Green in points scored, finishing #19 at 32.2 points a contest. They also finished a hair above North Texas in points allowed at 16 a game, good for #24. The real reason the Vikings went undefeated, however, is an opportunistic defense that ranked tied for 18th in the country with 26 turnovers and their +10 turnover margin put Lawrence tied for 19th in the nation. These bowl rookies are certainly no pushovers.

Lawrence Vikings Top Players
RB Rod Bruce (RS So) - 320 carries, 1,486 yards, 18 TDs, 2 fumbles
-All-WIAC 2nd Team RB last season had almost 100 more carries this season and had 2 less fumbles than his freshman year. That's a testament to just how good he is. Want more proof? He was Player of the Game in most of the Vikings' wins this season and although scouts rate Cassidy as the far superior back, discounting the Racine, WI native would be a foolish mistake.

ILB Jeffrey Godfrey (Sr) - 85 tackles, 30 assists, 5 sacks, 14 TFL
-2011 All-WIAC 1st Team and 2012 All-WIAC 2nd Team player is a tackling machine with a nonstop motor. He plays hard on every single down and he would love to finish his college career with an undefeated season.

S Preston Snyder (Sr) - 85 tackles, 24 assists, 14 TFL, 5 interceptions, 12 pass defenses
-Two time defending All-WIAC 1st Team and the 2011 WIAC Defensive Player of the Year. Was a National All-Freshman S and WIAC Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2010. You'll see Snyder playing on Sundays next year. He's the Vikings' top player, period, and the kind of hard-hitting warrior safety that opposing backfields and receivers have nightmares about.

Bottom Line
This is going to be a close, evenly matched game between two physical teams. Pedigree is clearly on North Texas's side, but when the Vikings have two guys who between them had 12 interceptions, that's the sort of ballhawking that generates turnovers and wins tight games like this one.

Prediction: Lawrence by 5

And a close game it was. Once again, RB Rod Bruce opened up the scoring with a TD run, and the Vikings held Dave Cassidy to 17 yards on 21 carries, a 0.8 YPC average. But the Mean Green kept ramming it down Lawrence's throats and in the end, North Texas's grinding offense controlled the ball just long enough for a 31-25 victory.

It was a bitter defeat for Lawrence and for RB Rod Bruce, who was so choked up by the loss he couldn't speak to reporters after the game. A damn shame, too, as Bruce solidified his status as a great player to the country. 21 carries for 122 yards and a TD (5.8 YPC), 3 catches for 47 yards, and 2 kick returns for a 21.5 average. The real culprit was the Vikings' QB, who threw 2 inopportune interceptions to cost his team the game.

New Year's Bowl Week
#7 Syracuse vs. #8 Bowling Green in the Rose Bowl. I'll be honest, the Falcons looked awfully lucky to be here, so I'm expecting them to get railroaded by the Orangemen, who are 8 point favorites. No preview, even though it's a BCS game. I'll only do that for the Racine guys who are starters or stars for their schools.

As expected, Syracuse turns Bowling Green into a laughingstock. 38-7 final and not even WR Cole Boyer's 8 yard catch, his first ever bowl game statistic, brings a smile.

Maryland beat BYU 24-12 in the other New Year's bowl, which will hopefully get renamed at some point.

Michigan makes the national title game boring early. 49-3 massacre of the Texas Longhorns. I think it's the Wolverines' second in this universe.

Despite the disappointing Rainbow Bowl loss, RB Rod Bruce can smile about winning the WIAC MVP award and being named to the All-WIAC 2nd Team for the second year in a row. UW-Oshkosh senior RB Paul Ingram, who won WIAC Offensive Player of the Year and 1st Team RB, deserved it. 362 carries, 1,868 yards and 18 TDs.

So much joy and so much heartbreak, all in one season for all our players.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

2014 Season
Remember when I said TCY causes an influx of talent in FOF that makes it tough to get in? Well, S Preston Snyder, Lawrence's best player, went undrafted. He got signed by the Empty Cupboard Saints, where he's 19/31 and on a one year deal as a backup.

But it's on to our Racine guys.

WR Cole Boyer (RS Sr) - Bowling Green Falcons (Case)
Cole gets up to 30/30, which might be just enough for him to be the Falcons' #4 WR. Chances are this will be his worst season statistically, but you never know. Still, he's good with life and with Bowling Green and has a 2.97 GPA. He and girlfriend Amanda are hoping for him to finish with a 3.0, but in any case, he'll get his degree.

RB Rod Bruce (RS Jr) - Lawrence Vikings (Case)
Rod's still depressed about the Rainbow Bowl loss and he goes in to the season rated 58/58. It'll be tough for the Vikings to replicate last year's success, but the race for the unbeaten season also helped him focus academically and he just might get his degree when all is said and done. There's a wunderkind redshirt freshman (44/86) who's going to push Rod as hard as he can. Still dating Sue.

T George Weston (RS So) - UW-La Cross Eagles (Park)
Great news for George! His patience has him up to 34/45 and he should be one of the starting tackles for the Eagles this year. Sadly, he's very unhappy in La Crosse and there's reason to believe he might leave the team before his senior year. That unhappiness is affecting his GPA, although he's still doing solid at 2.87. Still no girlfriend, though.

FB Terry Ellard (Fr) - UW-Platteville Pioneers (Horlick)
Comes in at a breathtaking 22/93. The first player to feel terrific about his college life, he has a hot girlfriend named Andrea and is already dreaming of pro days while he redshirts. I hope his ass flunks out. I hate fullback tracking.

RB Mitchell Thompson (Fr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Horlick)
There must be something about La Crosse that depresses football players. Mitchell's off to a rough start, grumbling about having to redshirt. 21/66 potential should see him getting PT at some point during his years here, if he stays eligible. No girl.

DE Vince Barnham (Fr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Case)
The Eagles' two projected starting DEs got themselves suspended for failing a class, so all of a sudden, shockingly low-rated 21/27 Vince will probably get to play right away and possibly even start. The news has him with a decent opinion of La Crosse life, even with no girlfriend.

3 guys from Park and they all suck, so I won't list them. A guy from Horlick has an outside shot. Very outside, but I'll list him anyway.

RB Wally Bridges (Horlick)
56th best player in the state. #3 RB. Terrible attitude and the usual academic risk a Rebel always is. Really, really wants a prestigious school and weirdly cares a bit about academics. 35 rated power runner.

Week 1
Bowling Green is #12 in the preseason and they start off with a regional TV game at home versus Virginia Tech. Lawrence, who upset Notre Dame in South Bend to open the year last season, hosts the Fighting Irish in a major regional televised game. UW-La Crosse also somehow gets a regional game, playing on TV at Colorado State.

The Eagles shock the Rams 34-7, building on their season-ending blowout of Whitewater last year. DE Vince Barnham records a tackle, 2 assists, a TFL, a pass block and a sack in his college debut. T George Weston is stunned and angry to get only 8 run plays and 2 pass plays.

Bowling Green cooly dispatches Virginia Tech 38-10, but it's all zeroes for WR Cole Boyer.

Lawrence upsets Notre Dame for the second straight year in a row, 41-28. RB Rod Bruce gets just 7 carries for 36 yards and 4 catches for 37 yards as the Vikings went with a RB by committee. Hard to argue with the results, but a bit surprising nonetheless.

Week 2
I'll ignore the usual silly early rankings and just say Bowling Green's another regionally televised game, a home game playing Baylor. UW-La Crosse gets a second big regional showing hosting Southern Mississippi.

The Falcons blank the Bears 28-0 and WR Cole Boyer is blanked on the stat sheet for the second straight game. That's just no fun at all.

UW-La Crosse reprises the Week 1 upset, Week 2 earth return from last year, bowing to USM 27-14. T George Weston finally got to start, finally, and surrendered a sack in his lineup debut. DE Vince Barnham recorded a single QB hurry.

Week 3
Lawrence is in a home game, playing Wyoming. UW-La Crosse is home as well, playing UAB.

UW-L knocks the Blazers the fuck out, 34-3, already equalling last season's win total. T George Weston is 0 for 3 in key run block opportunities, but he pitches a shutout in pass protection. DE Vince Barnham is a god damn horse. 6 pass players and what does he do? 3 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL. And he was on the field for 18 total plays. Can you say Holla?!

Here's Lawrence, ripping the Pokes 45-10. RB Rod Bruce carries the ball 11 times for 41 yards and a TD and has a team-high 5 receptions for 37 yards. I guess they're using him more as a dual-purpose back this year, which is okay, but I'd really like to see him do what he did his first two years.

Still no love for RB Wally Bridges.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 4
#8 Bowling Green has -the- national TV game of the week against vote-getter South Florida. It's the only Racine game this week.

Home cooking yields a 27-3 goring of the Bulls. But WR Cole Boyer continues to be denied, as augured last year. Sad way to finish the senior season.

RB Wally Bridges gets contacted by Houston.

Week 5
Lawrence has a home regional TV game vs. UW-Stevens Point. Vikings are #24, by the way. UW-La Crosse also opens WIAC play, hosting UW-Stout.

Tough game but the Eagles drop 21-16 to the Blue Devils. DE Vince Barnham continues to do well in limited PT, getting 3 tackles, a sack, and 2 QB hurries in 33 total plays. T George Weston starts, with no stats recorded.

UW-Stevens Point stuns Lawrence 33-10, ending the Vikings' dreams of another beautiful season. RB Rod Bruce gave Lawrence a 7-0 lead with a TD in the first quarter, but then it was all Pointers. Bruce had just 10 carries for 37 yards and the TD and a single catch for 8 yards. This has to be really hurting his future draft stock.

RB Wally Bridges gets another contact, this time from Louisiana Tech.

Week 6
#7 Bowling Green plays at home against Central Michigan, while Lawrence tries to rebound with a road game at Eastern Michigan and UW-La Crosse travels to Northern Illinois.

31-16 loss for UW-L, DE Vince Barnham with a quiet game of a tackle, assist, and hurry. T George Weston continues his strong work in pass protection, no sacks allowed.

The Vikings need to fire their head coach or their offensive coordinator or -something-! 41-7 loss to Eastern Michigan and RB Rod Bruce has his worst game ever, 3 carries for 9 yards and one catch for 6 yards. It doesn't help that he has a shitty QB. I think Lawrence also has a really bad offensive line this year. Oh, and Bruce also had his first fumble of the season.

Bowling Green prevents a triple set, eking out a 20-17 win over CMU. Once again, nothing for WR Cole Boyer.

Week 7
The Falcons continue their directional Michigan journey, headed to Eastern Michigan for a road regional TV game. Lawrence will try to go above .500 and even their WiAC record on the road against UW-Oshkosh, and UW-La Crosse draws #24 UW-Eau Claire in EC.

A hell of a game in Eau Claire, but the ranked Blugolds make a fourth quarter comeback to win 20-19 in an agonizing loss for the Eagles. T George Weston was 2/4 in key run blocks, but also gave up 2 sacks. So much for his great pass protection. DE Vince Barnham didn't record a stat for the first time, which may have made a difference in this one.

Lawrence's nightmare season continues with a 31-28 loss to the Titans. RB Rod Bruce continues to be criminally underused, with 4 carries for 9 yards and 2 receptions for 26 yards.

Ugliness reigns in Michigan, but Bowling Green grinds out a 9-0 win over the Eagles to stay unbeaten. WR Cole Boyer makes his first reception of his senior year, an appropriate 9 yard catch.

Week 8
Normally I'd take a break here, but I want to get as much of this horrid year done as I can. Bowling Green is up to #6 and hosts Akron, and Lawrence is trying to break the losing at home vs. UW-Stout.

But of course, everything's going wrong with the Vikings this year, and they lose 19-7. RB Rod Bruce runs just 5 times for 2 yards, setting a new low, although he does have a 9 yard catch. Through 6 games, he has 134 yards rushing. Ugly.

The Falcons shut out the Zips 31-0, but of course it's nothing doing for WR Cole Boyer.

Week 9
Regionally televised away game at Western Michigan for Bowling Green, while UW-La Crosse is back in action hosting UW-Platteville, FB Terry Ellard still redshirting for the Pioneers as far as I know.

UW-L -finally- breaks through, ripping apart the Pioneers 30-0. DE Vince Barnham picks up a tackle, assist, and half a sack. He's quickly developing into a guy they go to in pass-rush situations. T George Weston goes 0 for 2 on key run block ops, but seals off the defensive ends and allows no sacks.

Oh.my.god. The Broncos score 2 touchdowns in the last minute and a half, netting a 27-26 upset of the Bowling Green Falcons. A Gatorade cooler gets dented when WR Cole Boyer kicks it over in frustration. Undefeated season - gone. National title dreams - gone. And once again nothing to show for it on the field in his senior year.

Week 10
The Falcons plummet to #12, but get a regional TV game on the road against Buffalo. Lawrence invites the #19 Blugolds, still looking for their first WIAC win. UW-La Crosse goes to Whitewater.

So much for the Eagles starting to rise a bit. The Warhawks own them 48-22. DE Vince Barnham gets an assist, a half-sack, and a hurry. T George Weston goes 0 for 1 on key run blocks and allows 2 sacks in a very, very bad game for him.

Lawrence scores 22 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and the end result is a 25-21 win, upsetting the Top 25 UW-Eau Claire Blugolds. RB Rod Bruce continues banging his head against the wall with 5 carries for 7 yards and no receptions for the first time in a long time, maybe even ever.

OMFG. A second straight one point loss for the Falcons, 10-9 to Buffalo. WR Cole Boyer blanked again. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Week 11
All seasons going up in smoke round here. Bowling Green drops to #19, but the Falcons make great viewing, so they've got a big regional TV game against #14 Toledo. Lawrence will try and build on last week's win at UW-Platteville. UW-La Crosse hosts UW-Oshkosh.

God damn it! 24-17 OT loss for La Crosse. I should be happy the Eagles are competitive, but given how wall-punchingly frustrating this year has been, it's hard to be cheery. At least DE Vince Barnham is continuing to build his pass-rush resume with a tackle, a TFL, and a sack. T George Weston is 1 for 3 on key run blocks and gives up a sack.

Lawrence pulverizes the Platteville Pioneers 41-7. RB Rod Bruce rushes 9 times for 39 yards and has 4 catches for 27 yards and 2 TDs, his best showing of the year. He also had a fumble recovery. But it's probably too little, too late to save the Vikings' season.

Hot damn. Bowling Green with the fuck what you heard as they destroy the Rockets 51-17. The Falcons came out mad and poured our all their frustrations on Toledo. But does WR Cole Boyer get to take part? Nope! Then again, he's seen the field for a grand total of 19 pass plays all season long.

Week 12
So what's the standings story, morning glory? Bowling Green is 7-2, tied with a bunch of others for second place in the MAC South at 4-2. 5-1 Western Michigan is ahead, even though the Broncos were 0-4 in non conference play. So, still a chance there for the Falcons to go back to the MAC title game.

In the WIAC, UW-La Crosse is their usual bottom-feeder spot at 3-6 (1-4). Lawrence has fought to 4-4 (2-3), but honestly, they're not going to make it. Not with UW-Eau Claire and UW-Stevens Point both 4-1 in conference.

Lawrence can still salvage a winning season, and they're hosting the horrible UW-Whitewater Warhawks this week. UW-La Crosse travels to #25 UW-Stevens Point.

The Vikings scratch out a 16-10 win that wasn't pretty, but it evens their WIAC record and makes them over .500 for the year so far. RB Rod Bruce gets 11 carries for 29 yards and a TD and catches 4 balls for another 22 yards.

UW-Stevens Point shows they're legit, demolishing the Eagles 56-7. DE Vince Barnham records a tackle and 2 assists. T George Weston is 0 for 2 on key run blocks and gives up 2 sacks. I can see now why they waited so long to give him PT. He's terrible.

After weeks and weeks of waiting, RB Wally Bridges finally gets an offer, a full scholarship from Louisiana Tech. Although he's not thrilled with the school's terrible Algebra program, or the horrible football they play there, he's taking a visit.

Week 13
#17 Bowling Green is at Ball State and Lawrence and UW-La Crosse play in La Crosse in the Eagles' last game of the year, and the Vikings' final WIAC game. DE Vince Barnham and RB Rod Bruce, both Case alums, have been talking smack on Facebook, with Bruce threatening to break out and Barnham saying he's going to rip Rod's face off and throw it down a sewer.

Bowling Green continues their angry late-season run, bitchslapping Ball State 29-3. Naturally, it's all soap for WR Cole Boyer.

And then The Big Game. RB Rod Bruce gets just 5 carries, but makes the most of them with 58 yards and he also catches a 5 yard pass. DE Vince Barnham was shut down and hyperextended his knee. But the last laugh's with UW-La Crosse, who shock the Vikings 35-28. T George Weston gave up a sack.

WOW! Interest blows up in RB Wally Bridges. The Alabama Crimson Tide make a scholarship offer and Wally immediately visits. Michigan State and UW-Stevens Point make a walk-on offer, and Georgia makes contact. I could really see him playing for the Crimson Tide.

Week 14
I think Western Michigan wins the tiebreaker over Toledo and Bowling Green, but I'm not sure. All I know is, the #12 Falcons have a home regional TV game vs. Northern Illinois. And Lawrence will try to have a winning season by hosting Rutgers in a regional TV game of their own.

The Vikings blow out the Scarlet Knights 34-7 and hopefully that'll be something to build on for next year. RB Rod Bruce carries the ball 7 times for 17 yards and a TD and catches a 10 yard pass.

Bowling Green ravages the Huskies 35-9 and WR Cole Boyer gets nothing. I suppose I should be recording the miniscule plays he gets each game, but that's just depressing after he was involved all his other years.

Western Michigan does indeed win the tiebreaker, and it sucks to see a 6-5 team in the MAC championship.

RB Wally Bridges makes his choice!!! Patience proved perfect in his case and he'll be attending...

THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE!

Wally was ecstatic as he announced his signing, "Man, it was so difficult to wait and wait and wait. All those weeks, I just had Houston and Louisiana Tech contacting me and no offers or nothing, but then everything just got crazy the last couple weeks. I'm so happy and so thrilled right now to be a part of such a great football program and a good school. ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!"

The Tide are 92-45 in this universe, 4-5 in bowl games. Their prestige is 76, which puts them at a pretty high tier. Michigan, of course, is 100, and even though they've won 4 national titles and are 7-0 in Bowl Games, Ohio State is only 85. Got to love TCY's Michigan bias.

I'm happy to report Western Michigan got pounded 52-18 by Central Florida in the MAC title game.

Bowling Green goes to the Generation Why Bowl in Waipahu, HI. Or at least, that's what it used to be called and where it used to be held. Instead, it'll be the Snow Bowl in St. Paul, Minnesota. Yes, it's not a great name, but bowl game names do change over the years and unlike the Rainbow Bowl and the Banana Republic Bowl, which I plan to keep, the Snow Bowl I will probably change at same point. Ditto the Silicon Valley Bowl.

Minor Bowl Week
#12 Bowling Green goes up against #22 Fresno State, and the Bulldogs are favored by 2 points. Wow. In the end, they were right to do so, as Fresno wins 32-20. Ironically enough, WR Cole Boyer gets a 12 yard TD reception, a bittersweet scoring moment in his final collegiate game.

Michigan pounds USC 34-6 in a national title game between two schools with two rings. The Wolverines add the third and continue to hunt Ohio State down.

Awards

DE Vince Barnham is named a National All-Freshman DE!. That'd due largely to his 6 sacks, although he ironically didn't win WIAC Defensive Freshman of the Year. Way for him to make his mark as a Freshman All-American. He took great opportunity of those two flunky seniors.

Saying Goodbye

Although it ended in bittersweet fashion, and the Falcons never did win a bowl game while he was healthy, Cole was happy with his college career. Injury problems derailed his freshman and sophomore seasons, but he loved his junior year, when he got to play in the Rose Bowl, and his favorite memory is when he ran the ball for a 3 yard TD run at the end of a game. That play became known as the Boyer Reverse, and was actually used one other time that season.

His recruiting year was one where he kept holding off, waiting for the right opportunity. In the end, Bowling Green came through and he jumped on it. When Cole came to campus, he projected as a 10/18 player and never figured to see significant time. But he made the most of his opportunities, worked hard, and got up to 30/30 by his senior year.

Cole graduates with a 2.88 GPA, a major in Trigonometry and two minors in Algebra and Social Work. He'll apply for the NFL draft, but recognizes he probably won't be accepted. Instead, he plans on moving back to Racine, where he'll work on his teaching credential, teach in the local schools, coach youth football, and do volunteer work with disadvantaged youth, a passion he developed in his Social Work classes that began with an elective he took as a lark his sophomore year.

"It was a great time in college. I felt very inspired and very determined to work hard almost from the beginning, which to be honest, wasn't always the case back in high school", Boyer said at the senior banquet. "I'll always be a loyal Falcons support and thank everyone at Bowling Green, from the coaches to the professors to my teammates, for everything you've done for me."

Cole and Amanda are said to be planning a winter wedding in Bowling Green.

And so the book closes on arguably the most frustrating season yet for our Racine athletes, a year after the most exciting one.

What will next season hold? That's anybody's guess.

Note: Normally at this point, I'd do a 10 year Greatest Teams, but we haven't had enough athletes yet to make a worthwhile one, so I'll wait and see how things look in Year 15.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

2015 Season

RB Rod Bruce (RS Sr) - Lawrence Vikings (Case)
It should come as no surprise that after last year's disappointments, Rod is downgraded to 56/56. Scouts think he's pretty much tapped out his potential and his pro prospects look bleak right now. Remember the hotshot kid behind him? Well, that guy's now 52/85, so there's a chance that Rod could lose his starting spot in his senior year. The good news? He's up to a 2.09 and just might get his degree after all. He's still in a good mood about life, though I hear things have been a bit tense between him and Sue.

T George Weston (RS Jr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Park)
George busted his tail in the offseason, shooting up to 52/52. He should reprise his starting role and although, he came very close to flunking Physics, he still has a 2.86 GPA. Finally got a girl, Denise, and he's also feeling good right now after a tough first couple years. Is this the season he finally turns it around?

DE Vince Barnham (So) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Case)
Vince continues to be undervalued by scouts, now 25/26 after being named a Freshman All-American last year. That said, the coaching staff believes in his future ceiling enough that they're willing to redshirt him this year. 1.54 GPA, as he almost failed Algebra and Astronomy. Girlfriend Susie reports Vince is feeling Very Good about life in La Crosse, though, so we'll see how it works out.

RB Mitchell Thompson (RS Fr) - UW-La Crosse Eagles (Horlick)
A slight increase to 24/66 has Mitchell as the #4 RB on the depth chart. Fortunately, two of the guys ahead of him are seniors, so he should at least be the #2 guy next year, if not the starter. Pulled out a 2.68 GPA his first year, which might be a record for a Horlick alum. Feeling fair about things at the moment, which is better than last year.

FB Terry Ellard (RS Fr) - UW-Platteville Pioneers (Horlick)
37/93 positions Terry as the #2 FB, with the guy ahead of him a senior. 1.48 GPA, with nearly flunking, of all things, Comic Book Reading. How the hell you almost flunk a class in Comic Book Reading is beyond me. Very good feelings, despite his academic issues. Andrea makes for a great girlfriend.

RB Wally Bridges (Fr) - Alabama Crimson Tide (Horlick)
Like the underrated Mitchell, Wally comes in with a surprisingly pleasant 31/60 showing. He'll redshirt and the competition should be interesting the next several years. The Tide lose their top two RBs, including one of the best in the country, to graduation after this year, and Wally and a fellow freshman phenom also redshirting (45/91), will probably step in as the top two backs, with Jay Tyler the starter and Wally #2. No girlfriend yet and Wally's feeling fair right now, overwhelmed a bit by everything and getting adjusted to a major university so far from home.

Four athletes from Racine are eligible this year, but only Horlick's two starting offensive guards look likely to pick up scholarships.

G Les Hartwig (Horlick)
39th best player in the state, 4th best guard. Usual academic Rebel risk. 51 rated and known for run-blocking. Has been a UW-Whitewater fan forever, due to his dad having gone there. Call him a lock for the Warhawks.

G Justin Franklin (Horlick)
#853 player in the country, 78th best guard. 21st best player in the state and yet only the 3rd best guard. It's a deep, deep guard class in the Badger state this year. Equal values Team Prestige and staying close to home. 67 rating and the other starting Rebel OG is also known for run-blocking and also academically risky.

Week 1
UW-Platteville opens the year with a regional TV game, hosting Middle Tennessee State.

The Pioneers put up a tough fight against the school that T Lamont Griffith dropped out of, but the Blue Raiders come out 24-17 winners. FB Terry Ellard gets on the field for a run play and a pass play, with no stats.

G Justin Franklin is contacted by Air Force and gets a scholarship offer from Northern Illinois. G Les Hartwig gets an immediate scholarship offer from UW-Whitewater and he's just as immediately visiting, buying up lots of Warhawk purple as he travels the campus with his dad. Talk about anti-climatic.

Week 2
Lawrence hosts Georgia, the Vikings hoping to continue their history of BCS conference upsets. UW-La Crosse hosts Alabama-Birmingham.

The Blazers rout the Eagles 40-10. T George Weston is 0 for 2 on key run blocks, but doesn't allow a sack. RB Mitchell Thompson plays special teams, but that's it.

Georgia destroys Lawrence 49-16. RB Rod Bruce runs 6 times for 41 yards and catches 4 passes for 13 yards. I really, really hate that the Vikings have a scrambling QB.

G Justin Franklin picks up new contacts in California and Vanderbilt, with a scholarship offer from Purdue now on the table. If I had to guess, right now I'd say he's headed to Northern Illinois, but who knows?

Week 3
Lawrence will be hoping for a better result with a home game against Idaho, while UW-La Crosse travels to Penn State and UW-Platteville hosts Justin Franklin contactee California.

Nittany Lions shred Eagles 38-17, but T George Weston had his best blocking day with 3 key run blocks in 5 opportunities and gave up just a sack. RB Mitchell Thompson again played special teams and recorded 2 tackles.

RB Rod Bruce scores 2 rushing TDs, but that's on 8 carries for 30 yards as he and the youngster are in a time-share, with the scrambling QB also stealing a lot of carries. He also caught 2 passes for 13 yards. A quick check of the roster shows both RBs started all 11 games last year and have started both games this season. I'm not quite sure how that's possible when the Offensive Coordinator runs a Single-Back Formation, but whatever.

High-scoring game in Platteville, but the Golden Bears roll 58-33. FB Terry Ellard sees the field for a lone run play, and no stats.

G Les Hartwig gets a contact from Kent State, but we all know he's all Warhawks.

Week 4
UW-La Crosse continues their difficult non-conference schedule, going to Hattiesburg to face off against Southern Mississippi, and UW-Platteville hosts Kent State in what actually might be a winnable game.

45-18 is the Golden Eagles' beatdown of the lesser Eagles. T George Weston is 1 of 2 in key run blocks and gives up a sack. RB Mitchell Thompson does his usual special teams thing, but contributes nothing on the stats sheet.

The Pioneers get their first win of the season, knocking off the Golden Flashes 31-24, scoring the game-winning TD with just under a minute to go. FB Terry Ellard is in the game for 2 run plays and a pass play.

G Justin Franklin takes his first visit after he gets a scholarship offer from UW-Oshkosh. He'll likely end up a Titan, but you never know what'll happen.

And it's time for me to eat breakfast and make a Golden Scribes presentation, so we'll stop here and pick up later.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 5
Lawrence gets an exciting WIAC opener, hosting UW-Platteville. UW-La Crosse is also at home, starting WIAC play vs. UW-Oshkosh.

Well, the Eagles are shut out 28-0. T George Weston is 0 of 2 in key run block situations and gives up a sack. RB Mitchell Thompson gets special teams duty again.

The Vikings eviscerate the Pioneers 28-7. RB Rod Bruce has his best day in a long, long time, ripping off a 52 yard touchdown run and winning Player of the Game with 9 carries for 81 yards and 3 TDs and 2 catches for 17 yards. That's the good news. The bad news is A.J. DiGuardi definitely seems to have passed him on the depth chart. FB Terry Ellard gets in on a run play and is 0 for 1 in key run block opportunities. He's also in on 2 pass plays.

Arkansas State contacts G Justin Franklin.

Week 6
Lawrence has a home game against Eastern Michigan, UW-Platteville hosts Air Force, and UW-La Crosse, still winless, goes to Northern Illinois.

UW-L at last gets its first victory, stunning the Huskies 37-34 in OT. T George Weston goes 1 for 3 in key run blocks and gives up another sack, while RB Mitchell Thompson plays special teams.

The Vikings continue the winning, knocking out the Eagles 37-10. RB Rod Bruce gets 5 carries for 15 yards and 3 receptions for 21 yards. Very frustrating, but not surprising, that he's had his role reduced even more this season than last.

UW-Platteville can't make it 3 for 3, reamed 45-3 by the Falcons. FB Terry Ellard gets his first collegiate carry... and is stuffed for -3 yards. He saw his most action of the year in this blowout - 7 run plays, 2 pass plays.

G Les Hartwig is contacted by Navy.

Week 7
Lawrence will try to make it four in a row at home vs. UW-Stout. UW-La Crosse has a home game against #17 UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Platteville hosts #16 UW-Eau Claire. Some very, very good teams in the WIAC this season.

The Pointers show why they're a top 25 team, blowing out UW-La Crosse 45-17. T George Weston is 1 for 2 in key run blocks and surrenders 2 sacks. RB Mitchell Thompson special teams again.

Don't let the close score fool you. Lawrence was soundly beaten, 33-28, by UW-Stout. RB Rod Bruce gets 4 carries for 10 yards, clearly the 2nd string back. He also caught 2 for 51 yards.

It's all gloom, UW-Eau Claire knocking off Platteville 41-14. FB Terry Ellard has his first college catch... for -5 yards. That's -8 total yards he's had so far in his college career. 1 run play, 2 pass plays.

G Justin Franklin is visiting Northern Illinois, Purdue, and UW-Platteville, the latter of whom jumped in with a scholarship offer. If he goes to Platteville, it'd be the first time in this dynasty we've had two players from the same high school go to the same school. UW-La Crosse makes a walk-on offer. Right now, it's still UW-Oshkosh as the favorites, although Northern Illinois is a strong candidate as well. You also can't entirely count out Purdue as a Big Ten school.

And G Les Hartwig finally makes his decision. He'll be suiting up for...

THE UW-WHITEWATER WARHAWKS!

Least.shocking.news.ever. His press conference was hard to understand, because he kept talking in a high-pitched voice about how thrilled he was to play for the school he's always dreamed of. Good for him, I suppose, although UW-Whitewater, contrary to real life, has a best record of 5-6 in this dynasty, and next best is 3-8. The Warhawks have also had 3 winless seasons in this universe and are 16-111 overall, ranking them 4th fewest wins lifetime, ahead of only 14 win Indiana and Nevada (Yay!!! RENO SUCKS! RENO SUCKS!) and 11 win Baylor.

But then again, it's been a whole lot of losing so far for our schools this year. Oh, and Whitewater also has the third longest losing streak ever at 28 games, behind only Nevada () with 36 and Baylor with 47.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Week 8
UW-La Crosse draws #16 UW-Eau Claire at home and UW-Platteville is headed to UW-Oshkosh.

51-10 and of course the Eagles lose. T George Weston was 1 of 2 in key run blocks and for the first time in forever didn't give up a sack. RB Mitchell Thompson is still a special teamer.

UW-Platteville gets a 17-7 halftime lead, but the Pioneers are shut out in the second half, losing 28-17. FB Terry Ellard finally gets positive yardage, with a single 4 yard carry and a 2 yard catch for a TD, his first ever in college. The impressive thing is, he touched the ball on the only run and pass play he was on the field for.

Week 9
Lawrence is on the road to #17 UW-Stevens Point in the only Racine action this week.

...And it's a 48-10 massacre. I'd have to look, but I think the Pointers are the top WIAC team in this universe. RB Rod Bruce gets 3 carries for 11 yards and a one yard catch. He also returned 2 kicks for an impressive 31.5 yard average.

G Justin Franklin cuts his list down to three teams: Arkansas State, who offers and who he visits, Purdue, and UW-Platteville. My guess is he goes for the Boilermakers, who I had as a dark horse anyway, but Terry Ellard is really pushing the opportunity that they could be the first Rebels to play college ball together.

Week 10
Lawrence is at UW-La Crosse in the year's biggest Racine rivalry game and UW-Platteville hosts Les Hartwig's dream school, UW-Whitewater.

The Pioneers score an astonishing 55 points and hold the Warhawks to just 7. FB Terry Ellard gets 2 carries for 2 yards and catches a 16 yard pass, rumbling for 11 yards after the reception. He was also 1 for 1 in key run blocks and was on the field for 23 rushing plays and 14 pass plays, by far his most extensive action of the year.

UW-La Crosse kicked things off with an amazing 60 yard TD run, but then the Vikings got pissed off and lowered the boom. 45-17 Lawrence final. RB Rod Bruce carried 6 times for 36 yards, caught 2 passes for 11 yards, had a 3 yard punt return, and ran back a kickoff 24 yards. His increased versatility is helping to get some more pro scouts looking at him. T George Weston was 1 of 2 in key run blocks and stayed sackless. RB Mitchell Thompson was hoping to crunch Bruce on special teams, but it didn't happen.

Purdue withdraws their offer to G Justin Franklin, so he's down to Arkansas State and UW-Platteville. I still say it's the Pioneers, but the Red Wolves wouldn't surprise me, as they're significantly higher prestige.

Week 11
Lawrence is 4-3 (2-2) and probably has no chance at the WIAC title, unless the unbeaten Blugolds suddenly flounder. UW-Platteville is 2-6 (1-3) and UW-La Crosse is 1-7 (0-4), ahead of only winless Whitewater Warhawks. The Vikings will try to get above .500 in WIAC play, hosting UW-Whitewater. UW-La Crosse travels to UW-Stout and UW-Platteville goes to UW-Stevens Point in their second regional TV game of the year.

Lawrence has a 63-32 field day and RB Rod Bruce has a terrific game by the last two seasons' standard. He rushes 9 times for 80 yards and a TD, catches 2 passes for 51 yards and a TD, and returns 5 kicks for a 43.6 yard average, including a 91 yard return for a TD![/b] That's 3 TDs scored, one rushing, receiving, and one returning, and who cares about his 2 punt returns for -5 yards? What an incredible game, just when the Vikings needed it most.

UW-Stout punks UW-La Crosse 49-3. T George Weston is 0 of 1 in key run blocks and surrenders a sack. I'm not going to notice any more ST work unless RB Mitchell Thompson actually does something.

Pointers 41, Pioneers 0. RB Terry Ellard gets a 0 yard carry, but is 2 for 2 in key run blocks in 6 plays. No passing plays to his credit, however.

G Justin Franklin makes his decision. He'll be attending...

THE UW-PLATTEVILLE PIONEERS!

For the first time in this dynasty, we have two players from the same high school playing for the same school at the same time!

"I really thought about Arkansas State", Justin said when he announced his commit, "But Platteville's a lot closer to home and the chance to be roommates with Terry Ellard was just too awesome to pass up. He's one of my best friends."

Be interesting to see if the two of them can help the Pioneers. Then again, that hasn't worked out so well for the Eagles yet.

Week 12
The Vikings get their first TV game of the year, a regional game hosting #10 UW-Eau Claire. Lawrence is really amped up for this one. UW-La Crosse and UW-Platteville face off in Platteville.

UW-La Crosse scores the 30-24 upset over the Pioneers. T George Weston was a horrid 0 for 8 in key run blocks and gave up a sack in what might be his worst game ever. FB Terry Ellard got on for 3 rushing plays, with no stats.

Lawrence tried, but the Blugolds are the real deal this year, winning 41-24. RB Rod Bruce had just 2 carries for 7 yards, but scored a TD. He also returned 2 punts, getting a single yard, and looked much better in a 31 yard kick return. He bruises his ribs during the game and will be Probable for a week.

Week 13
Last shot for Lawrence to go over .500 in WIAC play as they go to UW-Oshkosh. UW-La Crosse has its final game of the season, hosting Whitewater and UW-Platteville has the same, going to UW-Stout.

The Eagles win 45-7 to do their usual late season win streak. T George Weston is 1 of 2 in key run blocks and gives up a sack.

UW-Platteville gets embarrassed 41-7. FB Terry Ellard gets a carry for 2 yards and is 1 of 4 in key run blocks in 12 rushing plays. He also sees the field for two pass plays.

And with 1:46 left in the game, UW-Oshkosh scores and gets the 35-34 win over the Vikings. RB Rod Bruce carries 5 times for 18 yards and is Lawrence's leading receiver, with 5 catches for 89 yards and a TD. He also returned 3 punts for a 4.6 yard average and 4 kicks for a 22 yard average.

Week 14
Lawrence can still get to a winning season as they host Rutgers in the annual final game. The Vkings have already set school success records with three straight winning seasons in the Rod Bruce era; he wants to make sure it's four in a row and never to experience a losing year.

It's another exciting contest, and this time, it's the Vikings who make the 1:30 to go touchdown for the one point victory, 34-33. RB Rod Bruce didn't have a great rushing game - 6 carries for 11 yards and only caught a 4 yard pass. He also got stymied in the punt return game with 3 runbacks for a 1.3 yard average. On the other hand, he added to his growing kickoff return reputation with 3 for a 28.3 yard average. Sadly, he had his only fumble of the season in his last college game.

Bowling Green goes back to the Snow Bowl and beats Rice 14-10, much to Cole Boyer's delight. Naturally all our current Racine schools were bowl-less.

USC beats North Texas 47-30 in the national title game. Better effort by the Mean Green in their second appearance, that's for sure.

Rod Bruce - To The NFL?

A hell of a career Rod had. Was fantastic his first two seasons, then got punked by the coaching staff into a secondary role his last two years. Still, he took Lawrence to their first-ever bowl game and the Vikings had a four year winning season streak for the first time in school history. That's something to be proud of, even if the Vikings lost to North Texas in the 2013 Rainbow Bowl.

Rod also finished with 90 catches for 828 yards, 5 TDs and 4 drops over his career, with a career high 271 yards and 2 TDs this season. He had a few kick returns ever year, but this season was his best and most often - 20 for a 30.6 yard average and a TD. For his career, he had 42 kick returns for a 27 yard average and returned 13 punts for a 1.6 yard average. He also had just 8 fumbles over 4 years.

Lawrence Career School Records - RB Rod Bruce
#2 all-time in rushing
#1 all-time in rushing TDs - 43
#1 all-time in total TDs - 49
#1 all-time in all-purpose yards - 5,379

Lawrence Single Season School Records - RB Rod Bruce
#1 in rushing yards - 1,608 (2013)
#1 in rushing TDs - 19 (2013)
#1 in TDs scored - 20 (2013)
#1 in All-Purpose Yards - 2,181 (2013)

What an amazing year that 2013 season was, when the Vikings went 11-1, with only the Rainbow Bowl loss as a blemish. Definitely one of the two best running backs in Lawrence history.

Unfortunately, he -just- missed getting his degree by 0.01 GPA points, with a 1.99. Two D-s his senior year killed him and as a result of his classroom slacking, girlfriend Sue will probably dump him if he doesn't get a pro contract.

Still, despite all the heartache and frustrations of the last two years, Rod is still feeling good about his college career and has put his name in for the NFL draft.

He's accepted.

RB Rod Bruce - Lawrence University (Case)
2012 and 2013 All-WIAC 2nd Team and 2013 WIAC MVP. Phenomenal first two seasons, but then fell off the radar. Some punt return ability, but his best attribute is his ability to avoid drops or fumble the ball. Still, a very marginal talent by the looks of things. On the other hand, it's difficult to get a read on just how good he is.
Overall Grade/Projection - 3.8, 4.0 Adj. - UDRFA

Rod went undrafted and did not catch on with a team during training camp. He's probably not going to make it in the NFL, especially since Sue, his long-time emotional support, broke up with him when his big talk about the pros washed out.

Last edited by Izulde : 01-21-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Edit: Added in Bruce's Lawrence school records. He also has another season in the rushing TDs and total TDs category in the Top 10, but I left that out.