Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
dickysty
n00b

Straight from the Puresim Forum.

Interesting Read I would Say.

Well, gather round boys and girls and I'll tell ya a little story about the way things went down and why they are the way they are. Believe it, don't believe, don't matter to me. This is for the historical record. I'll post here once, I will not post again.

BACK BEFORE DOGS WERE INVENTED ..

There was a game called FPSBBPRO98. Shaun wrote killer utilities for it. Fabulous utilities. This was the end all game, basically, for the mainstream crowd of sim baseball.

So, Shaun decided, in his spare time, from the Southeastern portion of the US (and we'll leave that obscure) .. that he would .. try. Try to make a game.

Now, about this time, along comes TWO fellas .. one from Tennessee .. Steve .. and one from GERMANY, Markus.

I was in the position to know all of this because I was The General Manager of a Sports Network of sites that numbered about 250 for the sixth largest Internet company in the world. So, both these individuals were supported by me, giving them a lot of press. *I*, personally, took an interest in both these games. In an interview, back before Columbus landed in The Bahamas, I actually got Shaun to commit to a date of release. It was merely rumours before then and betas. This was the first time he actually mentioned a release of a full version.

The same time, Markus (which changes from 'k' to 'c' on occassion, can't figure out why) .. was after me to take a look at his game. So, I did.

I told him: Here's the deal ..

You're gonna make your money off of MULTIPLAYER. Leagues that can play the game. You'll get 30 buys a pop. So, he says "How do I do this?" and we go in to this 3 month .. thing .. of me sending ideas and him sending me a build and I say "No .. no ..no ..like this." The reason I was so well versed in this was that I ran a legendary league on the web that involved the Lead Designer of FPSBBPRO98 and many members of Sierra's team and also the Sports Editor of PC Gamer, TONS of gaming press members, The Ultimate Big Stakes Ego League .. The King of All Leagues of All Time. It was unreal, the competition. Simply unreal. OOTP's Multiplayer was derived DIRECTLY FROM THIS LEAGUE. Every league that uses OOTP uses this league as their prototype because THAT'S what it was designed around. All we were ALL trying to do, the Sierra guys, the guys from other companies that played there, the gaming press guys, EVERYBODY ... all we were trying to do was make a better baseball game to play our league with. And we got this schmuck in Germany to code it for us so we didn't have to do it.

This legendary league was known simply as: "Sundown".

We were also the very first to use Brian's basketball engine, FastBreak, for an online league and was instrumental in his programming. That's another story.

So, if you look closely at the manual to OOTP3, you'll see that I was credited with the design of the on-line portion of OOTP. Not entirely true. I advised with all the other people, some which were part of the design team of FPSBBPRO98 (and other games). It was a lot of time involved.

Meanwhile, and I still have the e-mail, Shaun, I told Shaun the same thing and Shaun said, quote: "I could never foresee the day that PureSim is an on-line experience". I still liked PureSim more and I believe it to be a FAR, FAR superior simulation of baseball.

Why?

Because I was on the INSIDE when both these games were being birthed.

Why is OOTP all screwed up and ALWAYS WILL BE? Because it's not soccer.

Think what you want of Markus, and I love the guy myself, but .. I saw it time and again .. you can't grow up in a place where there is no baseball and then make a game that simulates it.

Shaun played baseball. Shaun is an American. What do you want me to tell you? You want me to lie and tell you the politically correct thing? Sorry, it's not the facts. OOTP will never be "right". There will always be something intristically "wrong" with it and it is very hard to put your finger on it. When these games were first being made .. I saw it. Markus just never "got" it. And there's no way to rewind his life and put him in a Little League uniform and understand what a squeeze play is. You can't read it and learn it. The subtelty that is baseball has to lived, day in and day out, watching 140 Braves games a year (sorry, Shaun) for 35 years. That subtelty soaks through and that's what you see in "PureSim".

Now, why is OOTP so much bigger and more active? MULTIPLAYER. Markus got the leagues when they were changing from FPSBBPRO98 and all the people who thought all the people running those leagues were idiots and they could do it better and it grew. TIMES 30. TIMES 30 again. AND .. don't discount that Steve was a VERY SMART COOKIE. He played the press well and was a great "face" stateside for OOTP. Shaun had.... his kids (who have to be close to graduating now). It was just Shaun.

When I was in a position to, I helped both these games with extensive press coverage .. and got Smoke to do it to in print .. we both did.

One went one way.

The other took the long way home.

.. and I wouldn't buy OOTP ON A BET ..

It ain't even close.

And it never will be.

This ain't soccer.

Sorry if that's politically incorrect.

It's just the way it is.

End of storytime.

Have a nice life.

dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

To be clear, I had nothing to do with that message. In fact I can barely follow it.

- Shaun
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dollars to donuts that man is Dave Dial.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

*Yawn*

Sounds like someone with an agenda to me. Who cares? I really like ootp 6.51 and that's all that matters to me. This guy is full of himself isn't he?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This saga is starting to become like the Star Jones v. The View mess. Only worse, because its just a bunch of dorks trying to stir up crap.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Easy Mac

i think i saw that same post on this board like 2 years ago. someone search
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Dogs were invented?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Easy Mac

seems so

hxxp://www.tarazet.com/mt/archives/000130.html
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

stop causing problems
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Dollars to donuts that man is Dave Dial.

Good catch.
A quick Google turned up one reference to the "Sundown League"

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Cyclones/Listings.html
Sundown Baseball League (SBL)
Commissioner: Dave Dial

We have been in existence since 1997. Always considered a bastion for elite players of fantasy baseball, we have counted among our members Doug Johnson, Lead Developer of FPS:BBPRO98 for several years, many, many Dynamix game developers, Jeff Downey, owner of Operation Sports, Paul Rosano, Assistant Sports Editor at The Hartford Courant and widely published internet sports game reviewer, etc. Also, the league was founded by Rob Smolka, Senior Editor at PC Gamer and sports columnist of that publication and the General Manager of the old GA Sports Network, which at the time was the largest sports network of gaming sites in the world. Most of the original core owners from 1997 remain. We currently use the OOTP3 engine and have just reformatted the league for this engine. We are in our third week of competition with OOTP though in our tenth season of existence..
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

According to an old post he says his name is Richard "Dick" St**
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Earth revolves around Dave Dial.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Good catch.
A quick Google turned up one reference to the "Sundown League"

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Cyclones/Listings.html
Sundown Baseball League (SBL)
Commissioner: Dave Dial

We have been in existence since 1997. Always considered a bastion for elite players of fantasy baseball, we have counted among our members Doug Johnson, Lead Developer of FPS:BBPRO98 for several years, many, many Dynamix game developers, Jeff Downey, owner of Operation Sports, Paul Rosano, Assistant Sports Editor at The Hartford Courant and widely published internet sports game reviewer, etc. Also, the league was founded by Rob Smolka, Senior Editor at PC Gamer and sports columnist of that publication and the General Manager of the old GA Sports Network, which at the time was the largest sports network of gaming sites in the world. Most of the original core owners from 1997 remain. We currently use the OOTP3 engine and have just reformatted the league for this engine. We are in our third week of competition with OOTP though in our tenth season of existence..

Sundown was a tipoff, Jon, but not the only one.

Remember, I used to work with Tony and Dave at GA-Sports. I remember the backstabbing that went on with Dave getting Tony fired and taking his job as GM. I remember that he ran Sundown.

Maybe most importantly, I remember his mannerisms of..."speech" isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. I know how he converses via the internet, and that little diatribe up there just screams of Dave Dial, even if he hadn't mentioned the Sundown league. That was just the most obvious tip-off.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

You know what multiplayer games need? Integrated updates. I hate having to manually e-mail or FTP or web upload an update file. Why can't I just log into my league from within the game, take my turn, and hit a "finish turn" button that sends the update into the ether somewhere for me?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickysty
Think what you want of Markus, and I love the guy myself, but .. I saw it time and again .. you can't grow up in a place where there is no baseball and then make a game that simulates it.

this is why I have vowed to NEVER play another RPG until one comes out that is written by gnomes or elves.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
this is why I have vowed to NEVER play another RPG until one comes out that is written by gnomes or elves.

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

brilliant!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote of the day!!!!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Unfortunately, there just isn't a decent elvish compiler on the market...

Old 07-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #20
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
End of storytime.

Have a nice life.

Now hold on a minute.

*puts on wizard's hat*

*summons rhino*

Wana cyber?
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

*crack*

"No question about that one. It's a homer to the seats in left!"

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

Of course, when it's all said and done, I'm playing Tony LaRussa 3...errr....Baseball Mogul 2007.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Man, Dave Dial's name hasn't been mentioned in a while...ah, the memories...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
*Yawn*

Sounds like someone with an agenda to me. Who cares? I really like ootp 6.51 and that's all that matters to me. This guy is full of himself isn't he?

An agenda, and an incredibly big head.

That said. Why have I heard of Dave Dial?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #25
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
An agenda, and an incredibly big head.

That said. Why have I heard of Dave Dial?
We need a board wiki to answer questions like this. And what a dola is. And what cocky and funny is, etc
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
We need a board wiki to answer questions like this. And what a dola is. And what cocky and funny is, etc
I could make one. If someone wants...
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

wiki - Front Office Football Central. Needs to be done.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I stopped reading that piece of garbage about halfway through. I know Dialgate was several years ago but even if this was written a couple of years ago, he hasn't gotten any less retarded.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
wiki - Front Office Football Central. Needs to be done.
I brought it up, since at this point I think it might be more useful then the reference thread considering how much info is in there already.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #30
Flasch186
Coordinator

lightning bolt

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #31
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is the best single post I've read in months.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I know this is obvious to all, but it needs to be said: I can't believe that he doesn't mention a damn thing about either game, but still tells which one is better, without question.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #33
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Next you'll be telling me that you coded all these games, you are the master and that you deserve royalties on all game sales?

There is room for Puresim and OOTP in the marketplace, those guys (Shaun and Markus) have put an incredible amount of time and dedication into their work. It matters not where they were born, where they were raised ... whats important is that their games are playable and enjoyable.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #34
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
There is room for Puresim and OOTP in the marketplace, those guys (Shaun and Markus) have put an incredible amount of time and dedication into their work. It matters not where they were born, where they were raised ... whats important is that their games are playable and enjoyable.

Agreed, lets move on -- I don't like the tone of the original post one bit.
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #35
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Stuff
STFU, jackass.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #36
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The other took the long way home.

.. and I wouldn't buy OOTP ON A BET ..

It ain't even close.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #37
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
Now hold on a minute.

*puts on wizard's hat*

*summons rhino*

Wana cyber?

There is nothing more serious then a rhino about to charge your ass.

Last edited by ScottVib : 07-01-2006 at 10:12 PM.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #38
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
There is nothing more serious then a rhino about to charge your ass.

What about a Fritz that's about to charge your ass?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #39
johneh
Mascot

Maybe Sportsdigs will set up an exclusive interview with this guy.... they do seem to have all the breaking news before everyone else
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #40
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You know what multiplayer games need? Integrated updates. I hate having to manually e-mail or FTP or web upload an update file. Why can't I just log into my league from within the game, take my turn, and hit a "finish turn" button that sends the update into the ether somewhere for me?

For the sake of saying so... didn't OOTP have this? It was still FTP, and the commish had to have things set up in a particular way, but you could just jump to a section and hit "FTP File to Server" or some such.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #41
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Ok, I'll bite. Who or what is Dave Dial? What did he do that makes him so infamous? I think I heard the name before, but I must admit I can't place the drama associated with him.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. I figured $15 was worth taking a flier on the game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #43
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49

What's a dola?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #44
WVUFAN
College Starter

dola -- I know a dwarf. He's funny.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #45
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh
Maybe Sportsdigs will set up an exclusive interview with this guy.... they do seem to have all the breaking news before everyone else

Do I even know you?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #46
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Do I even know you?

Please stop causing problems.