Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #51
Anthony
Banned

i don't understand, i started a new league and it has my name as "Eric Ingram". i want to put my real name in the game as the manager. also, how do you set up the league with just major league and 3 minor league affiliates. i don't need all those other leagues. this isn't FM, i don't need like 10 inferior leagues. ok, maybe i'd like to have a Japan league.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #52
Anthony
Banned

ok, i figured out how to change the name of the manager - why am i not given this option when i first start a league?

where do i download all the logos and stuff?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For those who don't know, once you are in the game you can go to game -> add-ons central and then click on "reload add-ons list".. from there PadresFan has an MLB All in one installer that loads the photos, logos, and jerseys..

VERY COOL feature for those who are using the MLB real rosters!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #54
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
For those who don't know, once you are in the game you can go to game -> add-ons central and then click on "reload add-ons list".. from there PadresFan has an MLB All in one installer that loads the photos, logos, and jerseys..

VERY COOL feature for those who are using the MLB real rosters!!!

thanks for pointing this out. i can load the player photos, but for some reason not the logos (don't know where the jerseys are displayed but i can't see real MLB jerseys either).
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
thanks for pointing this out. i can load the player photos, but for some reason not the logos (don't know where the jerseys are displayed but i can't see real MLB jerseys either).

I'm having the same issue for some reason... here is a thread over at the ootp forums:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2505606
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #56
Anthony
Banned

i'm lost.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #57
Anthony
Banned

i'd also love to figure out how to get a pic of myself in the game, rather than having a FaceGen pic for my avatar (which surprisingly isn't that far off from what i look like).

i think i should install this game on my mega PC. some things take a tad too long to load. or is this game just too big that it takes a while to navigate and do things lightning quick?

still, its a pretty game and the options to edit seem ridiculously endless.

Last edited by Anthony : 06-18-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #58
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I'm having the same issue for some reason... here is a thread over at the ootp forums:

i notice in the Add-on Central that the mod status is "install", rather than "installed" even though i seem to have installed them like 2 or 3 times. word to the wise for future patches - have all mods that have been installed listed as "installed" or "active". give me some indication that i was able to successfully download it and install it and that i know which mods are currently being used.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #59
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Learned my first lesson about saving. Created a historic league in 1968 and quick simmed to the end of the season so I could take over the Royals in the expansion draft. Got to round 24 of 30 when it crashed and discovered I didn't save since the end of the regular season. D'oh!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #60
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
i'd also love to figure out how to get a pic of myself in the game, rather than having a FaceGen pic for my avatar (which surprisingly isn't that far off from what i look like).

i think i should install this game on my mega PC. some things take a tad too long to load. or is this game just too big that it takes a while to navigate and do things lightning quick?

still, its a pretty game and the options to edit seem ridiculously endless.

I know you weren't exactly fond of prior versions HA, but you seem impressed with this version. Would you give it a thumbs up at this point?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #61
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I know you weren't exactly fond of prior versions HA, but you seem impressed with this version. Would you give it a thumbs up at this point?

still trying to make sure all the bells and whistles are in motion before i sim game 1.

i didn't buy the SI versions of OOTP, so my last experience with OOTP was v6. i will say the amount of things you can customize is amazing and intimidating. all easy to find though. i'm not one for fiddling around and creating hooky-dooky leagues - i just like to play a regular MLB sim. i also just want the vanilla 3 minor league teams and wouldn't mind creating a Domincan League and a Japan League, i don't know how to do that. i don't know how to customize anything re: minor/international leagues, but i'm not rushing to get started. i'll play a season before i go to bed, but i just wanna know how to do things and know where to find the info i want to make future sessions more seamless.

default skin is pretty and i like knowing i can play the game the way i want to, rather than Markus' way. this is what i wish a certain developer of football text-sim games would implement. stay tuned though, i'm sure to have more questions and comments as i fiddle with this more.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Another note.. this one from Erik W over at the ootp forums:

Quote:
You should go to "retired players" tab under the history section, and sort by team, then reverse it. Anyone who shows up with a team should be manually unretired, or else stats and such will be messed up.

Just a bit of info I hope people find helpful before before they get too deep into their MLB games.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #63
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

i closed the game and restarted, i got the logos to appear now. i'm making progress. just wanna figure out how to customize minor league size and add/remove international leagues. i don't need to have like 8 minor league teams.

one GREAT touch, albeit minor one, is when you click on a minor league team you get the minor league's logo, but also a tiny logo of the major league team that it's affiliated to located right next to it. very snazzy.

Last edited by Anthony : 06-18-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I really like the blue skin... so far, the game is definitely faster when clicking on various screens and for some reason, I don't feel so overwhelmed as in versions past.

Still can't figure out this "all in one" installer... lol
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #65
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Ok, been piddling around for awhile running a couple of test leagues to check league totals for my v2007 import league and am about ready to play my first game. One nice thing I noticed when browsing around was the team salary report now gives an arbitration estimate. Nice touch and very helpful.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been testing a way to get a more realistic feeder setup. It's a lot of work to do it and I've given up for now, but I have created something of a workaround -- a worldwide draft.

So in other words, instead of having players around the world being signed to teams except for American and Canadian kids, it's more like the NBA model where anyone can be drafted.

I have my foreign percentage set to zero, that way, regens come only from the home country of the team they play on.

To replicate it, what I've done is created 3 feeders. One is a US/Canadian/Mexico feeder, another is a Latin American feeder and the last is Asian/Rest of the world feeder. It'll give you good world coverage for your draftees, with talent levels that are requisite for the place they come from, too.

You can control the countries you put in each, but having them as feeders, setting your draft to the size of your preference and having "feeder players only" be selected, is the way to accomplish it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is it just my horrid luck, or is anyone else being absolutely drilled by inuries? particularly long-term (season-ending and multi-month) to pitchers?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #68
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
is it just my horrid luck, or is anyone else being absolutely drilled by inuries? particularly long-term (season-ending and multi-month) to pitchers?
Haven't noticed anything yet. You might want to take a look at your trainer's ratings. I haven't played enough to see if that is a big thing though.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #69
Anthony
Banned

well, i figured out how to add Japan Pro league and Dominican Winter League, but i don't know which MLB minor leagues are the main ones and which ones i can do without. i just want 3 minor league teams. anyone know which ones i should keep?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I swear I have 3 starting pitchers out right now, and my LF

1 SP for 6 months, 1 for 2 months, one for 2 weeks, and my LF for 6 months
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

will check trainer and sack his ass
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #72
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
well, i figured out how to add Japan Pro league and Dominican Winter League, but i don't know which MLB minor leagues are the main ones and which ones i can do without. i just want 3 minor league teams. anyone know which ones i should keep?
Just keep the Triple-A teams, Double-A teams, and the highest A team in each organization.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #73
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I swear I have 3 starting pitchers out right now, and my LF

1 SP for 6 months, 1 for 2 months, one for 2 weeks, and my LF for 6 months

It goes back to that old FOF discussion - that actually sounds a lot more realistic than previous versions (I assume you're on the default setting).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I always play on Low injuries, it helps create more realistic long-term careers.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #75
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I pulled the trigger and bought it this time, I'm hoping I can get into it. I've been frustrated after OOTP6 but that version is getting dated. I must say the Add-On Central thing is very cool but it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to get to it.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #76
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

All I've done so far is hit the MLB 2008 start button and simmed the year, and holy hell were the injuries numerous. And way too many trades, especially for good, young talent. Saw Headley traded, a few other good young prospects, and the Giants dealt Matt Cain to the Dodgers! I usually set injuries and trades to a low setting, but just for default, injuries/trades seemed too high.

And oh yeah, based on the sim, Willie Randolph was deservedly let go.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #77
Ksyrup

The other thing I did was start an historical sim from 1871. Things went fine until around 1882, when a rash of injuries hit one of the teams and they ended up with an illegal roster. If you're going to sim that far back, I'd suggest setting injuries and positional fatigue at the lowest possible settings, unil you get into the 1900's and there are more players in the league.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If you're gonna sim for a year or three before you start your team, I'd almost suggesting turning trading off and not letting the AI make changes. Sounds drastic, but sometimes, I find that things are insane when I finally dive in to start doing things and that's annoying.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I've played for as long as I can remember with injury settings on "Low"

There is the arguement regarding the default setting being pretty accurate for the number of injuries that hit real baseball, but my only issue with that is ootp has in the past had way too many rating drops that accompany those injuries that it ends up wrecking the overall careers a bit too unrealistically in my opinion.

I've felt on low setting in the past that you still have prospects bust because of injuries or a superstar hampered in the middle of his career by one, but you don't see it as a regular occurance many times a year for every team.

Maybe my way isn't realistic.. I dunno.. but it is more enjoyable for me. Not sure if ootp 9 handles it any better though.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think alot of the goofyness is with the roster set.. I wonder if the MLB setup, but with fictional players would yield the same goofy trades and such?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #81
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

On opening day of my first season, Santana threw a perfect game
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #82
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

one other thing that has bugged me about recent versions - way too many news stories and no way to easily navigate past them and/or filter out just the ones that actually apply to your team.

I think it's great Markus that you've got the coding down and you can code all of these news stories all dynamically and such, and you want to show that out, but at least in my case (and i'd venture to guess in others too) what ends up happening is I let them build up and then click "delete all" and don't bother to read any, because getting 25-30 a day is just too many
Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #83
Ksyrup

Another funny thing about the 2008 start up was seeing Bonds and Clemens sign before the season started.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #84
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Click the "reload team logos" button on the game options page and it should work.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #85
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I was messing around playing out an actual game, I noticed that you cannot change from pitch-by-pitch mode? You can click to change the mode but it remains pitch-by-pitch mode.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #86
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I was messing around playing out an actual game, I noticed that you cannot change from pitch-by-pitch mode? You can click to change the mode but it remains pitch-by-pitch mode.

Do you keep pressing enter? I think enter is always on pitch...you have to click the numbers to do pitch by pitch
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #87
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
one other thing that has bugged me about recent versions - way too many news stories and no way to easily navigate past them and/or filter out just the ones that actually apply to your team.

I think it's great Markus that you've got the coding down and you can code all of these news stories all dynamically and such, and you want to show that out, but at least in my case (and i'd venture to guess in others too) what ends up happening is I let them build up and then click "delete all" and don't bother to read any, because getting 25-30 a day is just too many

Did you try going to manager options? At the bottom left it says "subscribe to:" Click on my team only or whatever one you want.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I want to use the MLB league, but since I can't import my nations file into it, I'm not going to. Too much hassle. Maybe I'll start two leagues, but probably not.

I always love (and hate) that with this game I always need a few days just to get my leagues setup before I can even bother to play.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I deleted the game, reinstalled it, installed the all in one mod and now I'm good to go.

Just have to update all the players with no photos with face gen and delete those retired players who are still on teams and I'll finally be ready to start my career with Seattle.

Since they just fired their GM and are the worst team in baseball right now, I thought it would be a challenge.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #90
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Did you try going to manager options? At the bottom left it says "subscribe to:" Click on my team only or whatever one you want.

ooooh yay!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #91
Anthony
Banned

if you create a custom award - how does it get awarded?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #92
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Next, on, When Ghost Players Attack....

Starting a historic dynasty, my minor league teams are mostly ghost players just to give the folks not on the main roster a chance to develop. So the minor leaguers are mostly Ghost Players.. which led to this amusing story (I got it because I subscribed to news about my organization)

"There were a few hot heads at the Aurora-Modesto gamea at Wolverines Ballpark yesterday, but the cooler heads prevailed and kept fisticuffs to a mininum. It all started when Wolverines LF Joe Unknown and Diablos LF Joe Unknown apparently exchanged some unpleasantries and rushed at each other and began wrestling on the ground. Both benches emptied, but didn't get involved beyond a little shoving. Order was quickly restored, the two instigators were ejected by the umpires and the game continued.

The league office took quick action today and announced that both players would be suspended 4 games for inappropriate on-field behavior.

Obviously two ghostplayers mixed it up here

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-19-2008 at 12:12 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #93
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If its like OOTP 2007, you get to pick the award winners at the end of the season
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #94
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Question

Quote:

AI won't do it automatically. You have to do it or there won't be a winner. I wait until I'm playing out seasons to create one.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #95
Anthony
Banned

that's really awesome. i may have to create a Cocksman of the Year award, awarded to the player who banged the most groupies on the road.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #96
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
that's really awesome. i may have to create a Cocksman of the Year award, awarded to the player who banged the most groupies on the road.

only you would think of this...
Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #97
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I deleted the game, reinstalled it, installed the all in one mod and now I'm good to go.

Just have to update all the players with no photos with face gen and delete those retired players who are still on teams and I'll finally be ready to start my career with Seattle.

Since they just fired their GM and are the worst team in baseball right now, I thought it would be a challenge.

I did this at the beginning of the season, but later on, there wore more! Plus, one of them was duplicated 7 times somehow! I tried deleting him and it didn't work. Hopefully that fixes itself after year one?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #98
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wowwowow AMAZING GAME.

I'm so pumped...playing as the Rays in my first season. I make it to the division series as the wildcard and I face the Angels. We split the first two, then win game 3, I win game 4, and we take it to a decisive game 5.

They score 6 runs in the first inning and I think I'm done. But in the 3rd, I hit a 2-run and then a solo HR back to back making it 6-3.

They get another run in the top of the 5th, but then Evan Longoria hits a three run bomb in the bottom of the 6th, making it 7-6.

I tied it up in the 7th, and then we both scored a run in the 8th making it 8-8.

We go into extras after some amazing relief work, I have no position players left and I have only two relievers who aren't exausted.

In the top of the 12th, they get two men on with one out and my shortstop makes an amazing leaping catch, and we eventually get out of it.

Then, in the bottom of the 12th inning, one of my rookie callups comes to the dish and hits a game winning 450 foot homerun.

ALCS...Here I come!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #99
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Glad you guys like it!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #100
Ksyrup

Quote:

They didn't start tracking this until 1971, I believe.