Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Talahassee Federals - (SOM Dynasty)

It’s been quite a while sense I have been active on this board, but I’ve decided to start a new dynasty. Last time I was active, I was running an interactive dynasty using Strat-o-matic baseball to create a team that could complete against teams full of hall of famers (LINK).(who knows, if this goes well, maybe I’ll get back to this one too).

Now I’ll be using that same game to do this dynasty. I’m back in a league which mixes the hall of fame players (along with Negro League, Japanese, and Caribbean Greats) with players from a single season in MBL (in this case it’s 1930).

The league is the Legends of Cooperstown (LOC) and it uses a rotisserie style system for player’s salaries. This ends up being a big year, because it’s the fourth season and almost all the players are RFA (meaning they will be in the pool to be bid on, but the team that currently has that player has the right to top the final bid and thus retain that player for $1 more). I’ll get more into who’s available shortly.

A little background on my team…

When I started in this league it was draft based only (no salaries), and I ended up with an expansion team. At the time I joined the Japanese, Caribbean, and Negro League 2 all start teams were added, so I was able to draft cut players or players from one of the above “created” teams. There were 3 other expansion teams the year I joined, and I was the last pick in the expansion draft, giving me picks 4,5, 12, 13…etc. My first two picks were both pitchers from the Caribbean All Stars – Luis Tiant Sr, and Jose Mendez. I followed up other Negro League players and basically I ended up with the following core:

Luis Tiant Sr
Jose Mendez
Willie Wells
Martin DiHigo
Turkey Stearns
Miguel Gonzalez
Kid Nichols
Wild Bill Wright

Because I had 3 pretty good pitchers (my first 2 picks and Kid Nichols), and because there are so many sluggers in this game I made my park huge – so there aren’t many ball-park homeruns. At the all-star break my first season I traded Stearns for Cristobal Torriente, because Torriente fit my philosophy of extra base power and OBP better than Stearns. I ended up making the playoffs as the third seed, but I lost in the first round to the Boston Americans and they went on to win the Championship.

My second season, the core was pretty much the same and the results were similar, but not quite as good. I just missed the playoffs.

The third season was the start of the salary structure, and I ended up with pretty much the same group of players. The only major change was that I added Lefty Grove to the rotation through the auction. I just missed the playoffs again.

The forth season I was managing in absentia, and my team managed to make the playoffs (shows you how good a manager I am).

The fifth season I just missed the playoffs, and again I was absent for the entire season.

That brings us to this season (and you are probably so bored by this time you aren’t reading anymore)…

My team has a budget of $275. Unfortunately, my inactivity has cost me some bonus money and therefore, I am tied for the lowest total payroll allowed. It’s not a huge difference, but it is $15 to $20 below some other teams (which is a good player or 2 solid players).

I currently have under contract:

- Jose Mendez - $42 (the first year of the draft he cost me $48 – so I made him available again and got him for $6 less)
- Miguel Gonzalez - $21 (got him back in the last auction)
- Rollie Fingers - $20 (mix up in bidding got him Fingers at this price – I didn’t want to go above $16)
- Spotwood Poles - $9 (a nice OFer with speed and defense – but not a great player in this league)
- Max Manning - $5 (innings eater from the pen – solid but not great)
- Isao Harimoto - $2 (decent lefty outfielder who hits lefties better than righties – useful in spots)

Restricted Free Agents that I can top the final bid on (the last contract is in parentheses):

- Willie Wells – ($28) - Verstile INF (3b and SS), good speed and power – not a superstar though
- Luis Tiant Sr.- ($26) - Great LH pitcher. Extremely undervalued at $26, might go for twice that this time around.
- Cristobal Torriente - ($23) – Nice extra base power, typically gets me 20+ HR too, good defense, great arm, good speed.
- Martin DiHigo - ($17) – talk about versatile, plays every position but P and C, good offensively. Versatility makes drafting easy – I can take the best player because I know he can fill in at a void.
- Jud Wilson - ($16) – Good hitter with power and average – terrible defensively at 3b and 1b.
- Kid Nichols - ($8) – undervalued pitcher who can start or relieve well. Good innings eater. Could go for much more if he ends up in the early rounds of bidding.
- Wild Bill Wright – ($3) – if I had been active in the league I would have renewed his contract for 1 more years and paid him $13 ($10 for the extension). Good defensively, speed and some power (mostly extra base power).
- Roger Bresnahan ($2) – a catcher to make sure I wasn’t void at the position heading into the draft. I don’t want to be forced to fill a need in the draft and hamstring myself.
- Lefty Grove - ($26) - great LH pitcher that helps for the core of my rotation.

My thoughts on the upcoming draft…

I want to protect my players. I like them. I know that I haven’t been overly successful with my roster, but I still like the players. To make sure I have the money I need to keep my players I’m going to cut all my players under contract except Mendez. That will clear $57 and give me a total of $233 to spend. I’ll probably use my topping rights on Tiant, Torriente, Wells, DiHigo, Wilson and Nichols. If things go well (my guys aren’t in the early rounds of bidding) I could have some extra money to spend. We’ll see.

I am interested in opinions so feel free to chime in. I’ll also post a list of who else is available.

Last edited by Breeze : 08-07-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Houston Colt 45’s
Team Cap - $280
Current Contracts - $76
Available - $204

Mickey Mantle – RFA ($71)
Eddie Mathews – $42, $42, $52 (3 year contract)
Joe Morgan – RFA ($36)
Luke Easter - $4 (1 year contract)
Harmon Killebrew – RFA ($31)
Harry Heilmann – RFA ($22)
Leon Day - $15, $15 (2 year contract)
Joe Cronin – RFA ($13)
Carl Mays - $9 (1 year contract)
Pee Wee Reese - $4 (1 year contract)
Robin Roberts – RFA ($2)
Billy Williams – RFA ($1)
Manabu Kitabeppu - $1, $1 (2 year contract)
Ben Taylor - $1, $1 (2 year contract)

Of the players available, I have very little interest in most of these guys. Mantle would be great, but I’m not going to mortgage the team for 1 player. Morgan is good, but not good enough to justify what he’s going to pull in the auction. No interest in Killebrew, good power, but he has no defense and he wouldn’t be overly productive in my park. The low dollar guys will be low dollar again, and I won’t swear that I wouldn’t pay for any of them, but I’m not planning on bidding on them.

On the other side of the coin…

Heilmann interests me. I’m really a heavy LH hitting club in the middle of my order. I’ve tried to get my hands on a player like Heilmann for a while. He can really put the ball in play and hit for average and extra base power. He can’t run though…

Cronin would be one of my top choices to replace Wells if he gets too expensive. They are very similar from the plate, Wells has more speed and is more versatile.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Boston Americans
Team Cap - $295
Current - $0
Available - $295

Oscar Charleston – RFA ($60)
Steve Carlton – RFA ($46)
Pop Lloyd – RFA ($40)
Rube Waddell – RFA ($30)
Tim Keefe – RFA ($30)
Bobby Doerr – RFA ($12)
Sam Thompson – RFA ($7)
George Kell – RFA ($3)
Ray Dandridge – RFA ($4)
Hugh Duffy – RFA ($4)
Vic Willis – RFA ($2)
Burleigh Grimes – RFA ($2)
Gabby Hartnett – RFA ($1)

This is perennially one of the best teams, and they have $20 more on the total budget than I do and they have the entire budget to spend. He will really control the early part of the auction. He’ll keep Charleston, beyond that, I’m not sure…

As far as I go:

I’d love to have Charleston, but as I mentioned above, I doubt he’s available and he’ll be too expensive anyway.

I’ll keep an eye on Pop Lloyd. I like him and if he goes in a later round of the auction he might not be much more than Wells. Waddell and Carlton are potential replacements for Tiant and Grove if they get too expensive. Keefe could be added if the money situation works out right. I’d like to have another good starter with my park. Duffy at a cheap price is also intriguing. The others might get late bids to fill spots.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Page Fence Giants
Team Cap - $275
Current - $188
Available - $87

Eddie Collins – RFA ($45)
Billy Hamilton - $31 (I year contract)
Jesse Burkett - $30 (1 year contract)
Rodolfo Puente - $25, $25 (2 year contract)
Luke Appling - $13 (1 year contract)
Enos Slaughter - $11 (1 year contract)
Pablo Mesa - $11 (1 year contract)
Frank Wickware - $11 (1 year contract)
Adolfo Luque - $10 (1 year contract)
Pete Rose - $9 (1 year contract)
Hector Espino - $8, $8 (2 year contract)
Roger Connor - $18 (1 year contract)
Fred Clarke – $6 (1 year contract)
Richie Ashburn - $5 (1 year contract)
Ray Schalk – RFA ($4)
Joe McGinnity RFA ($1)

The opposite of Boston, almost no available money compared to the rest of the league, and most of it is tied up in pretty mediocre talent (by this league’s standards). A lot of speed and leadoff hitters.

Ironically, the one guy I’d like to have off of this team is Collins. $45 would be too high for me, but I’ll keep an eye on him.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Chicago Whitestockings
Team Cap - $285
Current - $252
Available - $33

Rogers Hornsby - $100, $100
Jimmie Foxx - $100, $100
Katsuya Nomura - $35, $35
Willie Stargell – RFA ($10)
Shigeo Nagashima – RFA ($10)
Red Ruffing - $5, $5
Red Faber - $4
Amos Rusie - $4
Early Wynn - $3
Yutaka Fukumoto - $1
Bill Terry – RFA ($4)
Lou Boudreau – RFA ($3)
Edd Roush – RFA ($2)
Joe Medwick – RFA ($1)

Now this team, really won’t be active. 2/3rds of the teams salary is tied up in 2 players. Good ones, but still that’s a bunch to place in just 2 producers (and where is the pitching?).

Not much interest in the RFA. I’ve had Roush and Medwick before, in fact, I used them as a platoon pair.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Detroit Stars
Team Cap - $290
Current - $44
Available - $246

Stan Musial – RFA ($75)
Willie Mays – RFA ($65)
Hank Greenberg – RFA ($51)
Duke Snider – RFA ($45)
Warren Spahn – RFA ($12)
Chick Hafey - $24, $24
Fernando Valenzuela - $11
Pie Traynor – RFA - $8
Gary Carter – RFA - $5
Dave Bancroft - $4
Dizzy Dizmukes – RFA – ($4)
Sam Crawford – RFA – ($4)
Monte Irvin - $1, $1
Jake Beckley - $1, $1
Bill Mazeroski - $1, $1
Waite Hoyt - $2

Some good players here that will be on the market, but I’m not going to approach the prices of Musial, Mays, Greenburg or Snider. Spahn could be a replacement pitcher for my lefties if they get too costly, or I might consider adding him if the money breaks right for me.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Minnesota Loons
Team Cap - $290
Current - $167
Available - $123

Ryne Sandberg - $45, $55
Mike Schmidt - $46
Dennis Eckersley - $39, $39
Don Drysdale - $18
Carlton Fisk - $19
Reggie Jackson – RFA ($7)
Arky Vaughn – RFA ($9)
Joe Sewell - RFA ($1)

Arky Vaughn is the only one I’d have interest in, but his defense isn’t good for this league, so I’ll have to consider a defensive replacement for late innings if I end up with him…(notice Joe Sewell on this roster served in that same capacity).
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Hannibal Showboats
Team Cap - $275
Current - $206
Available - $69

Pete Alexander - $70, $70
Johnny Mize - $33, $33
Nolan Ryan - RFA ($30)
Juan Marichal - $40
George Brett - RFA ($23)
Willard Brown – RFA ($20)
Catfish Hunter - RFA ($16)
Masaichi Kaneda - $15, $15
Ray Brown - $12, $12
Kirby Puckett - $19
Ross Youngs - $5
John Ward - $5, $5
Louis Santop – RFA ($4)
Koji Yamamoto - $4, $4
Heinie Manush - $2
Koichi Tabuchi - $1, $1
Rube Marquard – RFA ($1)
Nellie Fox – RFA ($1)

No interest in Ryan. He’ll go for more than he should. Brett is interesting, but he’d have to come in under $20 and at the right time for me to bid. Brown I love. He’s a Negro Leaguer that can hit and run and play numerous positions (including SS – though the defense isn’t great for this league). He’ll be one I watch. Santop is another Negro Leaguer I like a lot. He’s one of the reasons, I’m willing to cut Gonzalez. I’d take Santop for half the price and be very happy.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Norfolk Tars
Team Cap - $285
Current - $42
Available - $243

Joe Dimaggio - RFA ($63)
Tom Seaver - RFA ($50)
Ernie Banks - RFA ($60)
Johnny Bench - RFA ($39)
Jim Palmer - RFA ($26)
Orlando Cepeda – RFA ($11)
Takehiko Bessho - $11, $11
Pancho Coimbre - RFA ($9)
Brooks Robinson - $9
Bob Lemon - $5, $5
Carl Hubbell - RFA ($4)
Red Schoendienst - $5
Joe Tinker - $4, $4
Harry Hooper - $3
Victor Starffin - $2
Freddie Lindstrom - $2, $2
Roberto Avila - $1, $1
Rick Ferrell - RFA ($1)
Ralph Kiner - RFA ($1)
Keishi Suzuki - RFA ($1)

The top 5 players are all too expensive for my taste. Hubble at $4 would be a nice addition. The bottom players in the list almost always go for those prices. Not sure why he didn’t just cut them and fee up another $25 bucks to package on a better player.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

KC Monarchs
Team Cap - $285
Current - $91
Available - $194

Josh Gibson - RFA ($69)
Satchel Paige - RFA ($60)
Joe Jackson - $51
Buck Leonard - RFA ($40)
Chino Smith - $21
Frank Grant - $7, $7
Alejandro Oms - $6, $6
Mule Suttles - $5, $5
Double-Duty Radcliffe – RFA ($1)
Dick Lundy - RFA ($1)
Judy Johnson - $1
Bill Foster - RFA ($1)

This is the guy that runs the league. As you can tell from the names he loves the Negro Leaguers too. He’s in an interesting spot. He'll want to keep Gibson, Paige and Leonard, and if he can't it's a problem for me. Because if he can’t get all of them, he’ll look at my team and try to get Torriente, Tiant or Wells or Turkey Stearns from whichever team he’s on or Willie Brown from Hannibal. Pops Lloyd is also a possibility for this team depending on how the chips fall. I’d love Gibson or Paige, but I probably won’t pay for them. Bill Foster will go for more than $1 (because I’ll get him for more than that). He’s a very solid pitcher in this game.

Last edited by Breeze : 08-03-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tijuana Brass
Team Cap - $285
Current – $135
Available - $150

Ted Williams - $91, $91
Cy Young - RFA ($40)
Frankie Frisch - RFA ($33)
Carl Yastrzemski - RFA ($26)
Bullet Joe Rogan - RFA ($26)
Al Kaline - $34
Bill Dickey - RFA ($21)
Gaylord Perry - RFA ($16)
Lefty Gomez -$8
Max Carey - RFA ($2)
George Kelly - $2
Sam Bankhead - RFA ($1)

$135 spent and $91 goes to Teddy Ballgame. I like Young, he’s a good pitcher here that gives you a chance to win. $40 is too high though. I’d spend low $30s. Rogan is another one I like, but he’s a few bucks to high for my taste too. Dickey will be on the watch list, another good catcher (again, why Gonzalez will be exposed). Bankhead is a low dollar player I like. He fits my team mold. Utility player with speed and defense.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Missouri River Bats
Team Cap - $290
Current - $59
Available - $231

Honus Wagner - RFA ($75)
Ty Cobb - RFA ($70)
John Clarkson - RFA ($33)
Ferguson Jenkins - $31, $31
Goose Goslin - RFA ($15)
Wee Willie Keeler - RFA ($15)
Biz Mackey - RFA ($10)
Ted Lyons - $9
Hilton Smith - RFA ($8)
Home Run Baker - $5
Shigeru Sugishita- $12
Jimmie Crutchfield - $2, $2
Cap Anson - RFA ($1)
Bingo Demoss - RFA ($1)

This has arguably been the best team in the league, but they are under new ownership and I have no idea what they are going to do in the draft. Wagner and Cobb are as good as it gets, and they will probably fetch a very similar price this time around. Clarkston is a good pitcher, about like Cy Young. Mackey is another of the catchers I would be happy with, especially around $10. I’ve had both Lyons and Smith numerous times and they are good innings eaters. I’ll keep my eye on Smith, unfortunately, Lyons is under contract. Sugishita is another pitcher I’ve had and would gladly take again, but like Lyons, he’s unavailable.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Portsmouth Roadrunners
Team Cap – $275
Current - $68
Available - $207

Bob Gibson - RFA ($41)
Turkey Stearnes - $26, $36
Roy Campanella - RFA ($21)
Jackie Robinson - $16, $26
Roberto Clemente - RFA ($15)
Luis Tiant Jr.- RFA ($12)
Dazzy Vance - RFA ($10)
Willie McCovey - $8, $18
Jesse Haines - $8, $8
Lloyd Waner - $7, $7
Billy Herman - RFA ($5)
Ozzie Smith - RFA ($2)
Earle Combs - $3, $3
Travis Jackson - RFA ($1)
Jim Bottomley - RFA ($1)

Gibson is a pitcher I’ve attempted to trade for in the past, so if his price is reasonable I’ll bid. Stearns I’ve had before and would bid on again, but he’s under contract. The first year we did the auction he went for $42 which is way to much. $26 sounds right to me, and $36 would be a little to much for me on him. Clemente would be nice, but he really isn’t a middle of the order hitter in this league, more like a 6. No way I’d have kept Little Poison for $7. There are tons of players like him in the game so you could get another one for half that. Tiant Jr is another pitcher I’ll keep an eye on, and Campy is another Catcher on my list.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

New York Highlanders
Team Cap - $290
Current - $195
Available - $95

Cool Papa Bell - RFA ($60)
Wade Boggs - $33
Hack Wilson - $27, $27
Yogi Berra - RFA ($20)
Smokey Joe Williams - $39, $39
George Sisler - $27
Hughie Jennings - RFA ($16)
Verdell Mathis - $14
Jim Bunning - $12
Kiki Cuyler - RFA ($11)
Whitey Ford - $10
Dave Winfield - $19
Robin Yount - $7, $7
Tony Lazzeri - RFA ($5)
Buck O'Neil - $3, $3
Kazuhisa Inao - RFA ($1)
Sam Rice $2, $2
Tsutomu Wakamatsu - $1, $1
Kenichi Yazawa - $1, $1

This team has some interesting players. But if they want to keep Bell and Berra, they are going to have a hard time doing it. My guess is Bell gets into the $70s and Berra will still go for $20. Most of the RFA are good pieces, but nothing special.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Paris Texas Rangers
Team Cap - $280
Current - $153
Available - $127

Tris Speaker - $72
Old Hoss Radbourn - RFA ($31)
Paul Waner - $31
Eiji Sawamura - RFA ($21)
Phil Niekro - RFA ($19)
Dennis Martinez - $17, $37, $37
Joe Kelley - $26
Fleetwood Walker- $7, $27, $27
Dan Brouthers - RFA ($3)
Jim O'Rourke - RFA ($1)
Oliver Marcelle - RFA ($1)

Radborn is a pitcher I have interest in (like Young), Waner at $31 is an extension from an original bid of $21. Sawamura is a nice closer in the game and I’ll keep an eye on him. No way Niekro goes for 419 this time. I don’t understand $17 for Martinez and I certainly don’t understand extending him for $37 for 2 additional years. Same thing for Fleetwood Walker.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Scranton White Elephants
Team Cap - $295
Current $16
Available - $279

Babe Ruth - RFA ($80)
Lou Gehrig - RFA ($61)
Nap Lajoie - RFA ($51)
Bid McPhee - $8, $8
Pud Galvin - RFA ($6)
Hal Newhouser - RFA ($4)
Eppa Rixey - RFA ($7)
Hiromitsu Ochiai - $3
Herb Pennock - $2, $2
Jimmy Collins - $1
Tetsuya Yoneda - $1
Rabbit Maranville - $1

This guys team has always been about HRs, and he’ll have to spend a good chunk of change to keep Gehrig and Ruth. It will be interesting to see what else he will spend his money on. Not sure about Lajoie, and I don’t know if he might spend on pitching this time (I hope not because he’s proposed trades to me for Tiant Sr – so if he decides to get pitching he’ll probably bid him up). No thank you on his other players, except maybe Newhouser – he’s not great but a lefty for $4 is decent and he wouldn’t be my ace like he is on this team.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Southside Sultans
Team Cap - $295
Current - $128
Available - $167

Mel Ott - RFA ($60)
Hank Aaron $60
Perucho Cepeda - RFA ($46)
Antonio Pacheco - RFA ($30)
Chuck Klein - $35
John Beckwith - $33
Mickey Welch - RFA ($13)
Dizzy Dean - RFA ($10)
Hideo Fujimoto - RFA ($4)
Zack Wheat - RFA ($1)

No one here I’m particularly interested in, that is available. Welch and Dean will be watched, but unless the come up on the docket late, they probably won’t be bid on.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tokyo Samurai
Team Cap – $295
Current - $55
Available - $240

Sadaharu Oh - RFA ($47)
Al Simmons - RFA ($38)
Eddie Plank - RFA ($25)
Mickey Cochrane - RFA ($21)
Jack Chesbro - RFA ($19)
Rod Carew - $16
Andy Cooper - $14, $14
Chief Bender - RFA ($11)
Cannonball Redding - $11
Wally Yonamine - $7, $7, $7
Elmer Flick - $7
Webster McDonald - RFA ($1)

Tokyo is another really good team. Oh I’m not interested in, though he’s a good player, I’m not spending that much at 1b. Simmons like Heilmann is another player I’ve been trying to acquire. He’s a RH bat that can hit in the middle of the order – so I’ll watch him. $38 is too much, but I could see him slide to $28 based on when he is put on the docket. Cochrane is another catcher that is in the $20 range and will be watched. Chesbro is solid as a pitcher (in fact, I think he’d be better if he held runners better). Redding and Bender could be picked up if they are late on the docket. I’d actually prefer Redding to go earlier. I’ve seen him get bid on up to $20 (and I’ll let someone else spend that on him). McDonald isn’t a bad reliever and he’s someone I’ll bid on if it is at the right time.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Virginia Generals
Team Cap - $295
Current - $2
Available - $293

Christy Mathewson - RFA ($60)
Sandy Koufax - RFA($51)
Addie Joss - RFA ($51)
Three Finger Brown - RFA ($49)
King Kelly - RFA ($16)
Don Sutton - RFA ($16)
Hoyt Wilhelm - RFA ($8)
Buck Ewing - RFA ($5)
Dave Barnhill - $2
Al Spalding - RFA ($1)

Another perennially great team. Of course with Mathewson, Koufax, Joss and Brown how bad could you be? I love all 4 of those pitcher, but I won’t be able to afford them. It will be interesting to see if he tries to keep all of them. King Kelly is a very versatile player that can run. He would be a nice pickup, so I’ll keep an eye on him. Wilhelm gives you some good innings in the pen, so he’ll be watched too.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Washington Monuments
Team Cap - $295
Current - $44
Available - $251

Charlie Gehringer - RFA ($37)
Ed Walsh - RFA ($70)
Omar Linares - RFA ($31)
Frank Robinson - RFA ($26)
Earl Averill - RFA ($21)
Mike Cuellar - $19
Larry Doby - RFA ($15)
George Davis - RFA ($8)
Frank Chance - $8, $8
Mike Garcia - $5, $25, $25
Candy Cummings - $5, $5
Rube Foster - RFA ($4)
Julio Molina - $1, $1
Sol White - $2, $2
Minnie Minoso - RFA ($4)
Quincy Trouppe - $4, $24, $24

Gehringer, Walsh and Linares are going to be too pricey. Linares hasn’t performed well in the league so he might slide, but I doubt it. Most of the rest of the players don’t interest me. In fact, I’m shocked Garcia and Trouppe were extended for 2 more years. Rube Foster is one of my old players and I’ll keep him in mind and I’ll probably low bid him and see what happens.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I'll post the list of UFA soon...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #22
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Ok I did cut all the contracts but Jose Mendez, so I have $233 to play with in the draft. I need to project the costs of my players so I can see how much money I will need and if I'll have any additional money to look for a catcher or another starter or closer. I'll also need to project the cost of similar players to determine if I'm better off changing course with my plans or who my best plan B options are...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #23
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

UFA

Paul Molitor ($9)
Stan Coveleski ($14)
Makato Matsubara ($3)
Tetsuharu Kawakami ($2)
Bruce Sutter ($25)
Dave Concepcion ($11)
Tony Oliva ($12)
Johny Evers ($11)
Bobby Wallace ($6)
Tony Perez ($11)
Dave Malarcher ($10)
Phil Rizzuto ($9)
Sachio Kinugasa ($4)
Ed Delehanty ($35)
Ernie Lombardi ($12)
Hideji Kato ($1)
Charlie Comiskey ($2)
Walter Johnson ($80)
Eddie Murray ($11)
Bill Holland ($11)
Newt Allen ($10)
Al Lopez ($6)
Chet Brewer ($11)
Lazaro Salazar ($8)
Tommy McCarthy ($3)
Bob Feller ($36)
Lou Brock ($1)
Jelly Gardner ($1)
Sammy Hughes ($1)
Piper Davis ($5)
Keith Hernandez ($3)
Pete Hill ($2)
Ray Brown ($12)
Yutaka Fukumoto ($1)
Willie Stargell ($10)
Shigeo Nagashima ($10)
Bill Terry ($4)
Lou Boudreau ($3)
Edd Roush ($2)
Joe Medwick ($1)
George Sisler ($16)
Tsutomu Wakamatsu ($1)
Kenichi Yazawa ($1)
Jim Bunning ($12)
Dave Winfield ($19)
Sam Rice ($2)

First off, I realize that some of these are dupes from the teams listed above, but they are listed in both places in the spreadsheet I was given. I'll have to find out if they really are UFA (they probably are, because none of the dupes are high dollar guys, and it's probably another owner taking the same approach I am by freeing up as much money as possible).

Of the guys mentioned above, most are way overpaid...especially some of the Shortstops at the top of the list...i.e. why would I pay $11 for Concepcion, or Evers when I can get Ozzie Smith for $2? None of them provide much in the way of offense, and Smith is better defensively. There are a few that interest me. Ed Delehanty especially. He is like Al Simmons or Harry Heilmann, in that he gives me a RH bat that could hit in the middle of the order. Delehanty also has nice speed, and he can play a number of positions. I like Sisler, but I'm not playing $26 for him. Pete Hill for a couple of bucks would be nice. Chet Brewer could be an adequate innings eater and it will be interesting to see what Sutter goes for this time around. His $25 bid was the first time he was in the league (after induction), and I don't think some of the guy had any idea how to evaluate him. I think he could go as low as $10 this time around.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Nice job Breeze. I used to do leagues similar to this using the old Superstar Baseball game from Avalon Hill back in the Day. I'll be following along.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #25
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Nice job Breeze. I used to do leagues similar to this using the old Superstar Baseball game from Avalon Hill back in the Day. I'll be following along.

I played Superstar Baseball too. In fact, I created my own cards for modern day players and Negro Leaguers...

Nice to have you aboard.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #26
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The first round of the auction has started. Here are players available...

Player - Current Bid

Ed Walsh - 35
Babe Ruth - 73
Josh Gibson - 35
Walter Johnson - 45
Christy Mathewson - 40
Ernie Banks - 36
Willie Mays - 50
Lefty Grove - 25
Lou Gehrig - 65
Ty Cobb - 50
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #27
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Bidding on the players above closes tomorrow afternoon. Overnight there were some changes to the bidding...

Walsh - 35
Ruth - 90
Gibson - 35
Johnson - 55
Mathewson - 45
Banks - 36
Mays - 50
Grove - 25
Gehrig - 65
Cobb - 55

Hopefully, Grove is going to be overlooked in this bidding. It is possbile that the teams looking for pitching are going to bid up Mathewson, Johnson and Walsh. I still think Grove is going to cost me at minimum $35.

Currently Gibson and Walsh are good deals. I'll consider both if they don't jump before the deadline (however, I expect they will).
Old 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #28
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

First round of bidding is over and as I expected the salaries went through the roof...

Babe Ruth - Norfolk bids 104 - SWE Tops at $105
Josh Gibson - Boston bids 90 - NO TOP (Boston Gets Gibson)
Willie Mays - Boston bids 80 - NO TOP (Boston Gets Mays)
Ernie Banks - Boston bids 65 - NO TOP (Boston Gets Banks)
Lou Gehrig - Norfolk bids 66 - SWE Tops at $67
Ed Walsh - Boston bids 60 - WAS Tops at $61
Walter Johnson - Houston Bids 60 - POR Tops at $61
Christy Mathewson - New York bids 60 - VAG Tops at $61
Ty Cobb - Norfolk bids 61 - POB Tops at $62

And for me...

Lefty Grove - Portland bids 33 - TAL Tops at $34

So my prediction of Grove costing me at least $35 was pretty accurate. I can live with $34, I'm just hoping I can save enough money to snatch up another really good player or 2 more real solid ones...

Now on to the second period of bidding...
Old 08-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #29
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

By the way...feel free to make suggestions or comments. You won't hurt my feelings and you might help me decide what I want to do...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #30
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

round 2

Eiji Sawamura - $20
Ed Delehanty - $45
Mell Ott - $45
Tony Gwynn - $20
Honus Wagner - $40
Sandy Koufax - $30
Satchel Paige - $40
Mickey Mantle - $60
Martin DiHigo - $8
Old Hoss Radbourne - $13

Delehanty is a player that I've liked for a while and the fact that he is an UFA makes him even more interesting. Problem is that he's already about were I would bid on him. I might go $47, I'll have to consider it.

Sawamura would be a nice addition, but again he's about at the my max bid for him.

DiHigo is mine, and I'm hoping he doesn't increase too much. I'm figuring $18.

Radbourne is a nice pitcher, with one problem. If I remember correctly, he doesn't hold runners well, and in this game that's a problem, there are just too many guys that can run.

I'm not sure what will happen with Gwynn. In my opinion guys tend to overspend for the new players. Gwynn was a great player, and he would probably fit my style of play well, but I'g going to save my money and see if I can get Spotwood Poles or Pete Hill for single digit dollars instead.

Ott will probably go for close to what he is right now.

The rest will EXPLODE in value. Mantle will approach $100, Koufax and Paige will get into the 70's at least, and could make a run at $100. Wagner will get into the uppper 60's.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

well we are half an hour from the close of bidding and the prices haven't jumped yet...I'm really considering bidding on Delehanty (Still at 45), Koufax (still at 40) and Paige (still at 40). I still believe their prices will jump considerably, and in the case of Koufax and Paige, I think they will be topped, but I think I'm going to bid anyway...
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

What do you think of the core that Boston got with the first round? Do you think they overpaid?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #33
path12
Coordinator

Dihigo is a great choice there. If you can get Ott at a price that would be good also. I don't know how SOM does with translating the real old timers like Radbourne, my initial feeling would be that you could do better.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Round 2 closed and as I expected the bidding jumped...

Mickey Mantle - Norfolk Bids 99 - Not Topped (Norfolk Gets Mantle)
Honus Wagner - Paris Texas Bids 82 - Not Topped (Paris Gets Wagner)
Sandy Koufax - Norfolk Bids 56 - VAG Topped at $57
Satchel Paige - Southside Bids 55 - KCM Topped at $56
Mel Ott - Norfolk Bids 51 - Not Topped (Norfolk Gets Ott)
Ed Delahanty - New York Bids - 47 - UFA so New York Gets Delehanty
Old Hoss Radbourne - Houston Bids 28 - PTR Topped at $29
Eiji Sawamura - Washington Bids 20 - Not Topped (Washington gets Sawamura)
Tony Gwynn - Houston Bids 20 - UFA so Houston Gets Gwynn
Martin Dihigo - New York Bids 12 - TAL Topped at $13
Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #35
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Dihigo is a great choice there. If you can get Ott at a price that would be good also. I don't know how SOM does with translating the real old timers like Radbourne, my initial feeling would be that you could do better.

Path12,

Thanks for the input. I agree on DiHigo (which is why I topped on him). He's just too good and versitile to pass up, and the flexability he offers me going into the draft is really a help. As for Radbourne, I agree with your assessment. I like him, but I'll bet I can get a comporable pitcher for half the money later...

As for how SOM handles really old time pitchers in this version of the game...
What they did (for all players) was take their 7 best years and come up with a composite player. Then they compaired that person to an average player/pitcher at the same era and noted the difference from the norm. From there they established an average batting average (ex. .265 and then applied the players adjusted number to their era. So if Player X was typically .35 points higher in batting average than a typical person from their era, they was set up his card to be 35 points higher than the .265 they used as the game average - same idea for pitchers).

Last edited by Breeze : 08-19-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #36
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
What do you think of the core that Boston got with the first round? Do you think they overpaid?

Great question Izulde...and one I've been wrestling with for a while. It's hard for me to critisize him, because he has been so successful for so long (and he's put me out of the playoffs twice), but I don't really care for what he did. I love Gibson, but $90 is really high, even if he's the best catcher in the game. Mays is awesome...but again $80? And while I like Banks and he does provide power at a position that in this game is still really rare, I wouldn't play anyware need what he payed for Banks. Another thing is he is a very heavy RH power hitting line up. (of course he's in my division and I have 2 very good LHP ...assuming I can keep Tiant Sr.)
Old 08-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #37
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Izulde's question got me thinking that I should break down what I think about the bidding so far...

disclaimer...the following is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of this board, the Legends of Cooperstown League, SOM Baseball Company or the Tallahassee Federals...and if you don't agree with my opinions feel free to chime in (my feelings won't get hurt)

The first thing that catches my eye (besides Boston shelling out $230 - which is discussed above) is how active Norfolk was. They placed the high bid on 3 players - all were topped so Norfolk came away empty handed, but I think it's safe to assume he's going to be an owner that wants a few big time stars and will worry about the rest later...

I know Ruth is probably the best player in the game, but paying over 1/3rd of my entire salary for 1 player seems mighty high to me...

I actually felt some of the pitchers at $60 might be worth it, but I'm honestly not sure if Matty is worth $25 more than Grove. I guess you'd have to ask yourself...would you rather have Matty, Johnson or Walsh in your rotation or Grove and Rube Waddell?

Grove at $34 (as I stated above) is about what I expected, but it's also a raise of $8 from last time. So far that puts me -8 on my budget. (thought I wasn't maxed out the last few years anyway so I have some extra money to spend).
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #38
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Period 2 Break Down...

Period 2 was interesting because the bidding was furious late. I actually submitted a low bid on both Koufax and Paige (the bid was irrelevant based on where things ended up, but I did bid).

Norfolk gets one of their stars in this period (Mantle) and they pay $100 to do it.

Wagner at $82 is also too high in my opinion, and obviously the opinion of the former owner, because they didn't top.

Here are a few interesting bids, Koufax and Paige at the mid 50's seem a much better bargin to me than the 3 pitcher that cost $60s in the first group (my bids on these 2 were 44).

Delehanty was another I was going to bid on, but I had him priced in the upper 30s. I was going to bid $45, but he was on that number early and eventually went for $47. A little high, but not way off. I'm hoping that many of these teams are over spending so I can sneak in a similar player like Heilmann or Simmons for $10 less.

Ott is a nice and versitile player, but I wouldn't have bid over $42 for him.

The rest of the bids seem about right to me.

I actually lucked out on DiHigo. Another owner posted message that he was away from the computer on Friday night (when bidding closed) or he would have bid $20 on DiHigo. That would have left me with a very difficult decission. As it turns out I end up with the utility man extrordinare for $4 less than last year...

I'm now only -$4 on my budget...
Old 08-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #39
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Period 3 is underway...

Cy Young - Southside 40
Sadaharu Oh - LA New 38
Nap Lajoie - Detroit 35
Eddie Collins - Portland 25
Oscar Charleston - Kansas City 40
Stan Musial - Brooklyn 27
Rollie Fingers - Brooklyn 15
Eddie Plank - LA New 28
Three Finger Brown - Southside 50
Bullet Joe Rogan - Southside 26
Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #40
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Most of the guys in this round are already at my max bid for them.

If I already had Tiant Sr under contract I might go $42 on Young, but I wouldn't trade Tiant for Young, so I want to save my money for that bidding round. Collins in interesting and I'll keep an eye on him. Charleston is one worth watching - mostly because Boston has already spent a ton of money and I don't know if he'll be able to afford Charleston. Musial went in the $70s last time around (way to high in my opinion, but if he stays around 27, I might bid). Plank at $28 is fine, but I have a couple lefties already and I don't want to overpay for a 3rd. Brown is too pricey for me right now, and Rogan is about at the max I'd pay for him, but we'll see...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #41
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The only change as of this morning in bidding is Oscar Charleston is now at $45...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #42
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
As for how SOM handles really old time pitchers in this version of the game...
What they did (for all players) was take their 7 best years and come up with a composite player. Then they compaired that person to an average player/pitcher at the same era and noted the difference from the norm. From there they established an average batting average (ex. .265 and then applied the players adjusted number to their era. So if Player X was typically .35 points higher in batting average than a typical person from their era, they was set up his card to be 35 points higher than the .265 they used as the game average - same idea for pitchers).

So that affects walk rate and innings pitched also? Those old timers pitched a bunch of innings, and the walk rules kept bouncing around in the late 1800's. I'd also imagine the error rate would have to be drastically dropped to compare with modern players (post 1901).

I played tons of the SOM board game a long time ago, but have always leaned toward career simulations on the computer rather than seasonal replays, so haven't checked into this game much.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #43
path12
Coordinator

Looks like Charleston is going to get bid up, which is a shame because he'd be one of the players I'd really like to see on my team if I was playing.

Agree that 70 is too high for Musial, but I'd certainly go up to 40-50 for him. But I'm going on personal sentiment here as much as anything.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #44
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Period 3 - Final Bids

Nap Lajoie - Detroit bids 70 - Not Topped
Oscar Charleston - Kansas City bids 59 - Not Topped
Sadaharu Oh - LA New 55 bids TOK Tops at 56
Stan Musial - Scranton bids 54 - DET Tops at 55
Three Finger Brown - Southside bids 50 - No word from VAG on Topping yet
Cy Young - Southside bids 40 - No word from TIJ on Topping yet
Eddie Plank - Detroit bids 37 - Not Topped
Eddie Collins - Scranton bids 33 - LAN Tops at 34
Bullet Joe Rogan - Detroit bids 32 - No word from TIJ on Topping yet
Rollie Fingers - Houston 17 - UFA - Houston wins the bid

Last edited by Breeze : 08-21-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #45
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I probably should have paid a little closer attention to this period, because there were some good deals...

Charleston for less than $60 is amazing. Basically KC swapped Josh Gibson (who was allowed to go to Boston in period 1) for Oscar Charleston. I would have wrestled with bidding up to 62 here, but with Tiant still on the dockett for a later period, it would have been tough for me to do, and I believe that KC would have gone into the upper 60s to get him anyway.

Musial at $54 (topped at $55) seems about right to me.

Brown at $50 is a great deal considering he's every bid as good as the pitchers in the first bidding period

Young at 40 is about right

Collins at 33 is low. Had Collins been at 33 in the last group and DiHigo been in this group, I probably would have bid him up to at least 35, and if I won I would have let Martin walk. But as it is, Martin is my primary second baseman, and his production fits pretty well at that spot.

Rogan at 32 is to high for me. Mid 20's seems about right

Fingers is a touch high, but in this season where there aren't many closers his value will be increased
Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #46
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Bid Period 4

Addie Joss
Nolan Ryan
Tom Seaver
Hank Greenberg
Cool Papa Bell
Johnny Bench
Cal Ripken Jr.
Ferguson Jenkins
Joe Dimaggio
Mickey Cochrane
Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #47
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Period 4 Assessment

Most of these guys are going to be too pricey for me...

Joss is a fantastic pitcher in the game and judging from the prices pitcher went for in round 2 and 3, I expect he'll get into the 50s.

Ryan will be OVERPAID. Anything over low 20s will be too much. In a typical season Ryan is great, in this game, with all the old-time players and Negro Leaguers with exceptional speed and base running ability, combined with all the contact hitters you can't afford to walk people, and Ryan does.

Seaver is very similar to Joss.

Greenberg is a player I have no interest in. Great power threat, but there are a ton of powerful 1b men. and if he approaches $50 it's too much. Plus he doesn't fit my park.

Cool Papa Bell...now this guy fits my park. Unfortunately, he's going to approach or exceed the Charleston bid. I would love to have this guy, but I'm not sure if giving up Wells, Wilson, Nichols, and Torriente would be worth it.

Bench is a great defensive catcher (probably the best in the game), and he hits for power, but these pitchers really limit his productivity because - let's just say, he doesn't get a bunch of mistakes to hit. I would much rather pay 20 something dollars for a dickey, cochrane, gonzalez, or campanella then pay 30+ for Bench. (note: he could go for much less this time around)

Ripken Jr - I have no idea, because he's new to the game. I'm going to guess he'll go in the upper 30s, and he'll be like Banks but with a little less power.

Jenkins - went for $31 last time out, I would think it would be a little less this time. If bidding is slow here, I might consider throwing my hat in the ring to get another RH SP.

DiMaggio - WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. He'll go in the 60s as well, and though he could play well for me with the good defense and batting average, and I'd love to have his RH bat in the middle of my order, his HR production would be greatly reduced in my park. And I don't see paying 60 plus for a guy who would probably only give me 20 HR.

Cochrane is one of the many low 20 catchers that I like. I'll keep an eye on him (I honestly need to double check his Arm rating first), but I might consider a bid here. One of my only reservations here is that he bats LH.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #48
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Here is the salary cap situation (to the best of my knowledge - and it is before the final topping decisions are announced from the end of period 3)

Houston - $176
Boston - $60
LA New - $53
Chicago - $34
Detriot - $84
Minnesota - $123
Brooklyn - $91
Norfolk - $93
KC - $79
Tijuana - $150
POB (not sure team name here) - $169
Portsmouth - $146
NY - $110
Paris Texas - $16
Scranton - $108
Southside - $167
Tallahassee - $186
Tokyo - $184
Virginia - $176
Washington - $170

Last edited by Breeze : 08-21-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #49
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

My assumptions on team's salaries was wrong (some of the new owners must have made some cuts prior to the draft, but after I received the spreadsheet). Here are the official numbers (still minus the final topper decisions by Tijuanna)

Portsmouth Roadrunners - $207 - 9 RFA still on the board
Portland Bambinos - $200 - 7 RFA still on the board
Tallahassee Federals - $186 - 7 RFA still on the board
Tokyo Samurai - $184 - 5 RFA still on the board
Washington Senators - $170 - 8 RFA still on the board
Houston Colt 45's - $167 - 6 RFA still on the board
Southside Sultans - $167 - 6 RFA still on the board
Tijuana Brass - $150 - 8 RFA still on the board
Virginia Generals - $124 - 6 RFA still on the board
LA New Bears - $124 - 2 RFA still on the board
Minnesota Loons - $123 - 3 RFA still on the board
New York Highlanders - $119 - 6 RFA still on the board
Norfolk Tars - $109 - 10 RFA still on the board
Scranton White Elephants - $107 - 3 RFA still on the board
Brooklyn Cyclones - $91 - 7 RFA still on the board
Detroit Stars - $84 - 7 RFA still on the board
Kansas City Monarchs - $79 - 4 RFA still on the board
Boston Americans -$60 - 12 RFA still on the board
Chicago Whitestockings - $34 - 0 RFA still on the board
Paris Texas Rangers - $16 - 5 RFA still on the board
Old 08-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #50
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tijuanna has announced they will keep both their pitchers...Young at $41, and Rogan at $33.

That leaves them with $76