Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #14101
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The older I get the more I want "medicare for all". I'm not sure what's the best plan/option but Option #1 is Bernie's plan with est. $32T and that is too much (assuming that is correct). No estimates for the costs for Options #2 & #3 in the article but assumption is it will be lower.

Either way, it can't just be give access/provide coverage for "all". It really needs to address the cost side also and people's expectations.

Best we can hope for is the Dems lay the groundwork now and then it really begins in 2020 with some sort of grand compromise that moves the dial towards "all" with somewhat reasonable costs and tax hike.

Democrats Have Won The House. What Will They Do About Medicare For All?

Ways to take a huge bite out of that cost

1-Increasing tax on cigarettes and alcohol as Canada does and funneling that directly to healthcare (I know people will say 'what about fast food it causes health issues too?' see next bullet)

2-There would have to be some cost to consumers and one way to incorporate healthy eating would be to reduce what people have to pay in by basing premium level for the next calendar year on health screening metrics (which my employer does now) That way people like me who have 116/70 BP, fall within BMI and have a stellar lipid profile are rewarded. If you don't or you don't have a screening every year you pay more.

3-Reschedule and legalize marijuana nationwide. We know enough about it's medicinal values now, I know several physicians that support prescribing it over opioids for pain and there is a shit load of tax money there that can be funneled to healthcare.

There are ways to make it work

Edit - I still think, like Medicare Advantage plans now, administering the plan can be done through existing insurers.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-08-2018 at 08:19 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #14102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So, who pushed Ginsburg last night?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #14103
bronconick
College Starter

Probably a drunk Kavanaugh
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #14104
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've been saying this for the last year. The advancement in tech will allow the only true record to come from people who were actually there. This sort of thing is a major, major threat to our freedom. It may seem like a little thing, but within it lies the seeds of true oppression.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #14105
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm actually surprised that there's not a report out from the White House saying the intern was hospitalized for her injuries last night.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #14106
PilotMan
Head Coach

I should add that the video on the right, that was put out by Sanders from the White House, was reportedly doctored by Infowars. Go figure.

Like Steam?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #14107
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
He wants the questions to stop and to face no scrutiny. Stop attending the press conferences and that's what he gets.

Scrutiny doesn't have to stop. In fact, media organizations could do more if they were less concerned about maintaining access to people that repeatedly lie to them.

Every WH fights with the press until they realize they depend on them to promote their message. Imagine a world where no legitimate news org paid gave the immigrant caravan any airtime. The WH needs the press as much or more than they need the WH.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #14108
Ksyrup

Yeah, I don't watch many WH press conferences, but that one was on during the local noon news so I watched. That was nothing more than Trump using the media to get out his "it was all about me" message, followed by Trump yelling at reporters for fake news and being unfair.

It would be less damaging to just let him get up there in front of no one and make his statement, then let the media parse his comments after the fact. It seems like the Jim Acosta's of the media world are just playing right into his anti-media playbook.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #14109
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Hey,

what happened to that immigrant caravan that was going to kill us all? Funny how coverage just stopped the day after the election.

They paused to regroup and rest.

Good thing Trumps executive order on asylum at ports of entry seems to be working.

Trump to sign directive this week revamping U.S. asylum policy - MarketWatch
Quote:
President Donald Trump is expected to sign a directive this week that will make official his plans to revamp the U.S. asylum system, part of his broader push to crack down on undocumented migrants entering the U.S. illegally.

Trump is expected to sign the directive as early as Friday morning, before leaving on a trip to Paris, administration officials said. Last week, Trump said he intends to sign a “comprehensive” executive order on the detention of apprehended migrants, including those seeking asylum status.

According to the directive, U.S. officials will require asylum seekers to go to a port of entry to make a claim. The argument being made by the administration is that this will enable safer, more orderly processing and better resource planning, an official said. Currently, U.S. law states that “any alien who is physically present” in the country can apply for asylum within a year of arriving.

The officials, who have seen a draft of the directive, said the intention is to implement the directive temporarily, although a time frame wasn’t specified. Trump said last week he wants to keep undocumented immigrants apprehended at the border in detention until their legal cases are heard rather than allow them to be released into the U.S. to await a hearing.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #14110
Ksyrup

Fox News hasn't forgotten...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/migran...at-happens-now
Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #14111
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

He's in Mexico City and the story says they're within reach of the border. That would be still @650 miles away. At Civil War army pace that's still 45 days away.

But at least they're sticking with it after a pause of a few days. Keep f-ing that chicken Fox.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #14112
Ksyrup

But they have some migrants travelling with them who are Antetokounmpo long...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #14113
Edward64
Head Coach

Assuming security is accounted for and there is no path to PR/Citizenship, it makes so much sense to expand the guest worker program.

The Senate passed something but the House refused to vote on re: Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013. It may not have been perfect but let's keep on working on it and compromise instead of just letting it die.

Unfortunately, I don't see a champion for holistic immigration reform, just disjointed and targeted bits-and-pieces right now. And I don't see pro-immigration as the winning platform in 2020 (behind Economy & Healthcare).

Schumer and Dems seemed willing to compromise on DACA for the Wall. Maybe try again (and possibly toss in guest workers) as initially baby-steps.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #14114
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Schumer and Dems seemed willing to compromise on DACA for the Wall. Maybe try again (and possibly toss in guest workers) as initially baby-steps.

Which is a mistake imo. A wall isn't worth the expense and long term expense. I'd be willing to increase the budget on the border substantially as long as it wasn't spent on the wall. I'd let the R's own DACA and the result of what comes from their efforts, and negotiate more efficient, border control. Extensive use of tech and automation is the path there, not some 4th century answer.

Like Steam?

Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #14115
Edward64
Head Coach

The next step after harassing people at restaurants I guess. I'm all for them getting permits and protesting peacefully but IMO this isn't right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.6369ac499cd5
Quote:
Fox News host Tucker Carlson was at his desk Wednesday evening, less than two hours before his 8 p.m. live show, when he suddenly started receiving multiple text messages.

There was some sort of commotion happening outside his home in Northwest D.C.

“I called my wife,” Carlson told The Washington Post in a phone interview. “She had been in the kitchen alone getting ready to go to dinner and she heard pounding on the front door and screaming. ... Someone started throwing himself against the front door and actually cracked the front door.”

His wife, thinking it was a home invasion, locked herself in the pantry and called 911, Carlson said. The couple have four children, but none were home at the time.

But it wasn’t a home invasion. It was a protest.

According to now-deleted social media posts shared by Smash Racism D.C., a local anti-fascist organization whose members have been tied to other demonstrations against prominent Republican figures, activists showed up outside Carlson’s home Wednesday and they had a message for him.

“Tucker Carlson, we are outside your home,” one person could be heard saying in the since-deleted video. The person, using a bullhorn, accused Carlson of “promoting hate” and “an ideology that has led to thousands of people dying.”

“We want you to know, we know where you sleep at night,” the person concluded, before leading the group to chant, “Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!”

Roughly 20 people had gathered outside Carlson’s residence, said Lt. Jon Pongratz of the D.C. police. Authorities received a call at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and responded “within a few minutes,” Pongratz told The Post.
:
Carlson said the protesters had blocked off both ends of his street and carried signs that listed his home address. The group called Carlson a “racist scumbag" and demanded that he “leave town,” according to posts on Twitter. A woman was also overheard in one of the deleted videos saying she wanted to “bring a pipe bomb” to his house, he said.

“It wasn’t a protest. It was a threat,” said Carlson, who is often denounced by critics, particularly liberal ones, for his rhetoric about immigrants and minorities on his Fox News show. “They weren’t protesting anything specific that I had said. They weren’t asking me to change anything. They weren’t protesting a policy or advocating for legislation. ... They were threatening me and my family and telling me to leave my own neighborhood in the city that I grew up in.”
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #14116
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep protest on social media, participate in nationwide protests, but these kind of protests are more harassment than protest and should stop. No one's family should feel threatened because someone in the family works for a news network
Old 11-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #14117
Thomkal
Head Coach

Brian Kemp finally resigns as GA Sec of State -he says so he can transition to governor even though Abrams has not conceded yet.

Brian Kemp resigns as Georgia secretary of state as governor's race remains too close to call
Old 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #14118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Guy spent the day moving further toward obstructing a federal investigation by setting up a kangaroo justice system and people are more concerned about whether Jim Acosta has a press pass.

I don't think that's true at all. There's tons of coverage about the Sessions firing and his replacement's shady past. There are protests scheduled about this.

It's possible to talk about more than one thing at a time. And the Acosta thing should be talked about. The White House used doctored footage from Infowars to smear a reporter with an assault accusation. In no way should that be ignored.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #14119
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Assuming security is accounted for and there is no path to PR/Citizenship, it makes so much sense to expand the guest worker program.

The Senate passed something but the House refused to vote on re: Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013. It may not have been perfect but let's keep on working on it and compromise instead of just letting it die.

Unfortunately, I don't see a champion for holistic immigration reform, just disjointed and targeted bits-and-pieces right now. And I don't see pro-immigration as the winning platform in 2020 (behind Economy & Healthcare).

Again, there's no grand compromise because the far-right has killed several attempts at compromise previously. They don't want a solution, they want restricted immigration(illegal and legal). As long as the GOP is controlled by those folks, there can't be a comprehensive immigration bill.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #14120
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yep protest on social media, participate in nationwide protests, but these kind of protests are more harassment than protest and should stop. No one's family should feel threatened because someone in the family works for a news network

Morally reprehensible and politically ineffective.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #14121
whomario
Pro Starter

May i add (re: Chop-Gate) that i also find it extremely disturbing that apparently a lowly press-corps intern feels pressured in a way that she goes to physically grab that mic ? Just look at her, she's dying out there having to go into that confrontation ...

Either you have a situation that gets out of hand and let some sort of security (that is a thing at any of these press conferences, i guess ?) take care of it firmly and calmly or you don't. But to have the president angrily go "that's enough" and an intern frantically moving to grab the mic ? What the hell ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #14122
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Movement on Predictit for Bill Nelson. He's up to 22 cents now. Was just 6 cents yesterday.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #14123
spleen1015
Coordinator

The whole thing with Acosta is just comical.

Both sides are moronic. Give up the mic, but at the same time Trump needs to stop bullying people and saying whatever he wants. Then people won't feel the need to stick up for themselves.

Trump is just a clown. I have all of the power and can do whatever I want and I'll display that power whenever I don't like you.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #14124
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The whole thing with Acosta is just comical.

Both sides are moronic. Give up the mic, but at the same time Trump needs to stop bullying people and saying whatever he wants. Then people won't feel the need to stick up for themselves.

Trump is just a clown. I have all of the power and can do whatever I want and I'll display that power whenever I don't like you.

Both sides? Even if you believe Acosta went too far in trying to ask additional questions, how does that even approach the Press Secretary using doctored footage from an alt-right group to substantiate a bogus "laid his hands on her" claim so they can strip his press pass?

Old 11-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #14125
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Both sides? Even if you believe Acosta went too far in trying to ask additional questions, how does that even approach the Press Secretary using doctored footage from an alt-right group to substantiate a bogus "laid his hands on her" claim so they can strip his press pass?
You also had some very fine people on both sides.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #14126
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm not even talking about that. I was just talking about the exchange.

Striping the guy's press pass and trying to say he assaulted her is even more moronic. It's Trump being Trump. He's has the power to do it so he will.

This is a press conference with the President of the US. So, there is some professional decorum that should be followed. He doesn't follow it so, why should anyone else?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-08-2018 at 01:26 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #14127
Butter
Coordinator

Outstanding races from Tuesday....

Arizona Senate, where the difference is about 17000 votes of the 1.73 million cast, or :

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...e-race-n933866

Florida Senate, where the difference is 22,000 of 8.2 million cast:

Nelson, Scott spar as Florida Senate race nears hand recount | TheHill

Georgia Governor's, where the difference is 63,000 of 4 million votes cast:

Kemp Resigns as Georgia Secretary of State, With Governor’s Race Still Disputed :: WRAL.com

And the 12 house races:

The Races That Are Still Too Close To Call | FiveThirtyEight
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #14128
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Florida governor's race has now entered the automatic recount range as well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #14129
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

This is a press conference with the President of the US. So, there is some professional decorum that should be followed. He doesn't follow it so, why should anyone else?

I think we have a much bigger problem with too much deference to our leaders rather than too little. And that's been true for years.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #14130
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The next step after harassing people at restaurants I guess. I'm all for them getting permits and protesting peacefully but IMO this isn't right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.6369ac499cd5

That's too far but I don't have an issue with saying something to someone at a restaurant or in public.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #14131
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've been saying this for the last year. The advancement in tech will allow the only true record to come from people who were actually there. This sort of thing is a major, major threat to our freedom. It may seem like a little thing, but within it lies the seeds of true oppression.

The video was actually snagged from Infowars if there was any question where the WH gets it's news from. We can't be far off from the administration hinting that these mass shootings are just false flags perpetrated by the Jews.

Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. There's tons of coverage about the Sessions firing and his replacement's shady past. There are protests scheduled about this.

It's possible to talk about more than one thing at a time. And the Acosta thing should be talked about. The White House used doctored footage from Infowars to smear a reporter with an assault accusation. In no way should that be ignored.

It was treated as one of the big stories of the day. Some reporter for a cable news outlet losing their press pass just seems so minor to me.

The story is just red meat for bootlicking sycophants and an opportunity for the media to play their favorite role as the martyr.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #14132
Thomkal
Head Coach

How about some 2020 news? ::ducks the rotten tomatoes:::

I've been wondering if Rep Eric Swalwell was going to run for President based on his frequent appearances on CNN and MSNBC. Looks like I was right:

Source: Eric Swalwell to run for president in 2020 - POLITICO

I've liked his TV appearance for the most part, and I'm intrigued by someone much younger(37) than Biden/Sanders/Hillary that might be running.

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #14133
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Let's throw some both sideisms out there. Jim Acosta gets his press license pulled by a deranged president. And the violent left harasses and tries to intimidate Tucker Carlson at his home.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media...ors/index.html
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #14134
cuervo72
Head Coach

Poor Tucker.

Kavanaugh Accuser Christine Blasey Ford Continues Receiving Threats, Lawyers Say : NPR
Old 11-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #14135
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It's a shame that people on both sides can't be civil
Old 11-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #14136
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It seems like the issue in Nelson's race is a poor ballot design in Broward that put the Senate race in the bottom left corner. That caused about 25,000 undervotes. There were some districts where the Agriculture Commissioner race had more votes than the Senate race. Nelson's claiming that there is a tabulation error, but it seems more likely to be people leaving that race blank because they didn't see it on the ballot.

Nelson's price has dropped back down to .13 on PredictIt after that news broke.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-08-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #14137
Ksyrup

I guess I'd need to see the ballot to understand that argument, but I don't buy it. I can understand "ballot fatigue" or ignoring stuff at the bottom (assuming it's a lesser race or something), but didn't see it?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #14138
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is the one I saw...

Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #14139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That photo makes sense of it I think.. It's left to right, and started with federal offices, then statewide offices, then partial state offices.
The rather lengthy set of instructions then shoved the federal races to the bottom of the page.

I pulled up a 2018 and a 2016 sample ballot from Georgia, just to see.

2018 Georgia starts with Governor & other statewide, then goes to federal district'ed (i.e. U.S. House) and continues on.

2016 Georgia started with President, then U.S. Senate, then statewide state office, then district'ed state offices, and continued.

Same exact format as the Florida sample ... except the instructions appeared only once in a single language and were therefore shorter & fit across the top of the full screen.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #14140
Jas_lov
College Starter

Just saw on tv that Sinema now has a 2,000 vote lead in Arizona.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #14141
sabotai
General Manager

TIL Broward County, Florida puts Haitian Creole on their election ballots.

Edit: After googling a bit, nearly 6% of Broward County is Haitian.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-08-2018 at 06:31 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #14142
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Now up to 9,000, big turnaround over the last 24 hours.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #14143
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Hey there's hope for me yet in the election contest!...or not
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #14144
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've been looking at pictures of the various Trump is not above the law rallies across the country today-great seeing people rally peacefully.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #14145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I've been looking at pictures of the various Trump is not above the law rallies across the country today-great seeing people rally peacefully.

We walked through the one in Times Square today. Tons of people with signs.

Having spent the last several years in Portland we were a bit nervous, especially since we had the kids, but people could not have been more peaceful.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #14146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Awesome Lathum!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #14147
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Yes, but I think Trump did well to make the "trigger" for these protests as convoluted as possible. It's been planned for months for people to take to the streets as soon as the Mueller investigation was shut down. And I think that would have been a legitimately game-changing protest (and I'm someone who is skeptical of the benefit of protests).

But Trump managed to regain some control over the investigation by a means that technically triggered the protest, but did it by firing an unpopular AG. Which led to a bunch of confusion as to whether this was "the moment" for things to really get serious. And to do it the day after the culmination of a very emotional election cycle that resulted in semi-success for Trump's opponents, and....I think, sadly, he has played this perfectly
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #14148
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Trump not giving up on election fraud:

Law Enforcement is looking into another big corruption scandal having to do with Election Fraud in #Broward and Palm Beach. Florida voted for Rick Scott!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #14149
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wait. Is it corruption scandal or election fraud? So confusing!

Like Steam?

Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #14150
Ksyrup

Quote:
This is the one I saw...

If you read the instructions and then keep going down the ballot, it's actually the first race to vote on. What's the argument again?! Whatever it is, it's a huge stretch.