Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #351
samifan24
Pro Starter

Brian, you might want to change the thread title to reflect the fact that a beta demo is now available.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #352
BishopMVP
Coordinator

RTE 9, after the postseason on the Conf Champs screen when switching from Regular Season to Tournament.

Windows 7 Laptop - still have the taskbar over the bottom line also, but I assume you're waiting to get your hands on the OS to fix that. If not, is there a different way to reach e-mail than through the lower right button thats under the taskbar?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #353
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Simple solution to taskbar covering bottom:

1) Right click on taskbar and make sure that "lock the taskbar" is unchecked
2) Drag taskbar to either side of the screen it should dock there.

I'm going to install a copy of windows 7 tomorrow but I checked my sisters windows 7 laptop and it had a max resolution of around 1350x768. In those cases you have to move the taskbar. We'll see what happens on my desktop.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 AM   #354
whomario
Pro Starter

Could we make the coloured "overall rating" optional ?
I´ve kind of liked the "flying blind" style of the first version. I know i can ignore the overall rating, but subconciously i guess you´ll take it into acount.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #355
Emmett13
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I´ve kind of liked the "flying blind" style of the first version. I know i can ignore the overall rating, but subconciously i guess you´ll take it into acount.

I agree with that. Maybe the color ratings just haven't 'clicked' for me yet, but I'd like to have the option if it's possible.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #356
Emmett13
College Starter

Is there any way to delete a conference? I'd like to merge 'Independent' and the 'Great West' conference into one super shitty conference. But I imagine having zero teams under 'Independent' will screw some stuff up.

Oh, and Oklahoma State is listed as being in Oklahoma City, OK. They're in Stillwater, OK.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 03-25-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #357
whomario
Pro Starter

I see where the overall ratings are nice to have and a big help especially in the first few seasons or when being new to the game itself, but i kind of liked the fact that there was no such thing as an overall rating compared to other games. Same like with SIs Football Manager franchise. The individual skill ratings are enough.
I know that just because there´s overall ratings you won´t suddenly have the skill sets matter less, but it kind of feels wrong.

Another thing : I´m not an expert, but from my limited knowledge it seems as if more and more pretty good recruits decide very late on where they commit (in contrary FBCB has them commit very soon) and internationals in general commit very late as well, is that correct and is there any chance to get that into the game ?

- I also have the feeling as if Big Men scoring is a bit low with no Center exceeding 15.5 PPG in 2 run seasons, but that may just be a "first few seasons thing" as mentioned with other things. Just thought i´d mention it.

- Also, i had a really great senior Center win National POY averaging 14/11 with 3 Assists and 3.8 blocks. Thing is he also shot 45% and played at Saint Marys. Should he really win POY ?

another great thing to cap this off : When playing around with some player heights for testing purposes i saw that the ranking in the Pro Prospects adjusts accordingly ! (take an inch away from a player and he drops a few spots) Now i don´t have the pro version, but simply for playing purposes it´s relevant as well (players declaring or not) and a pretty neat touch

Last edited by whomario : 03-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #358
kingfc22
Head Coach

HR - I'm still getting a very weird view any time I try to play this game on any resolution.

Can you PM me your email address so I can send you some screen shots?

Or maybe there are some supporting files I need to DL?

Last edited by kingfc22 : 03-25-2010 at 11:25 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #359
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Is this basically DOA for Windows 7 as of now? I can open the program, but I get windows overlapping in the game, text outside of where it should be, and the only way I can exit the game is via Task Manager. It's killing me, as this is one of my all-time favorite games.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #360
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Is there any way to delete a conference? I'd like to merge 'Independent' and the 'Great West' conference into one super shitty conference. But I imagine having zero teams under 'Independent' will screw some stuff up.

Oh, and Oklahoma State is listed as being in Oklahoma City, OK. They're in Stillwater, OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I see where the overall ratings are nice to have and a big help especially in the first few seasons or when being new to the game itself, but i kind of liked the fact that there was no such thing as an overall rating compared to other games. Same like with SIs Football Manager franchise. The individual skill ratings are enough.
I know that just because there´s overall ratings you won´t suddenly have the skill sets matter less, but it kind of feels wrong.

Another thing : I´m not an expert, but from my limited knowledge it seems as if more and more pretty good recruits decide very late on where they commit (in contrary FBCB has them commit very soon) and internationals in general commit very late as well, is that correct and is there any chance to get that into the game ?

- I also have the feeling as if Big Men scoring is a bit low with no Center exceeding 15.5 PPG in 2 run seasons, but that may just be a "first few seasons thing" as mentioned with other things. Just thought i´d mention it.

- Also, i had a really great senior Center win National POY averaging 14/11 with 3 Assists and 3.8 blocks. Thing is he also shot 45% and played at Saint Marys. Should he really win POY ?

another great thing to cap this off : When playing around with some player heights for testing purposes i saw that the ranking in the Pro Prospects adjusts accordingly ! (take an inch away from a player and he drops a few spots) Now i don´t have the pro version, but simply for playing purposes it´s relevant as well (players declaring or not) and a pretty neat touch

I like the overall ratings so I don't have to spend 6 hours figuring out which players are what.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #361
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
Is this basically DOA for Windows 7 as of now? I can open the program, but I get windows overlapping in the game, text outside of where it should be, and the only way I can exit the game is via Task Manager. It's killing me, as this is one of my all-time favorite games.

I'm getting this exact issue, but I'm running XP.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #362
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I like the overall ratings so I don't have to spend 6 hours figuring out which players are what.

hey, i´m not advocating to get rid of it but merely to make it optional in some way If it can´t be optional it should stay by all means.

Last edited by whomario : 03-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so I'm dumb, whats the difference between what was out 2 days ago and a beta demo?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #364
LloydLungs
College Prospect

For the record I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and not having any problems, but my screen display is 1600 x 900.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 03-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #365
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
RTE 9, after the postseason on the Conf Champs screen when switching from Regular Season to Tournament.

Fixed.

Quote:
Windows 7 Laptop - still have the taskbar over the bottom line also, but I assume you're waiting to get your hands on the OS to fix that. If not, is there a different way to reach e-mail than through the lower right button thats under the taskbar?

I'm still looking. However I've yet to enounter a case where the taskbar being over the bottom is anything other than the resolution having a height of 768. The method I mentioned above can be used but if people really don't want to do that I'll see about adding a link to the messages on the side menu.

Quote:

I should be able to add an option somewhere.

Quote:

It can be done in the default league but it will take a bit of work. The easy way is to leave at least 1 team in the independents.

Quote:
The issue I suspect you are having has nothing to do with Windows 7. Please right click on your desktop, choose personalize, on the lower section of the left menu choose display, tell me if you are set to smaller - 100%, medium 125%, or larger 150%

Quote:
so I'm dumb, whats the difference between what was out 2 days ago and a beta demo?

Nothing. I was just following samifan's advice by making a note that the beta demo was available in the thread.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #366
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Fi
I'm still looking. However I've yet to enounter a case where the taskbar being over the bottom is anything other than the resolution having a height of 768. The method I mentioned above can be used but if people really don't want to do that I'll see about adding a link to the messages on the side menu.

I just tried the drag-the-taskbar-to-the-side solution and I still could not get to the buttons on the bottom of the screen. I think the combination of the high resolution, the widescreen ratio, and Windows 7 compounds the problem.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #367
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

The issue I suspect you are having has nothing to do with Windows 7. Please right click on your desktop, choose personalize, on the lower section of the left menu choose display, tell me if you are set to smaller - 100%, medium 125%, or larger 150%

I'm running XP and am on medium (125%).

Last edited by kingfc22 : 03-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #368
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I just tried the drag-the-taskbar-to-the-side solution and I still could not get to the buttons on the bottom of the screen. I think the combination of the high resolution, the widescreen ratio, and Windows 7 compounds the problem.

Could you post or send me a screen shot of what you are encountering? If you need to email you can use briann8778 at yahoo dot com
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #369
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I'm running XP and am on medium (125%).

For a tempory fix you can drop it to 100 and everything should work. It will also work if I include larger versions of the background images. I need to see if I can't make the game detect if this setting is changed from 100 and react accordingly.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #370
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm on Windows 7 64 and have zero issues with the taskbar, but i use a 24" widescreen monitor on high resolution (1920x1200).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #371
Emmett13
College Starter

Quote:

It can be done in the default league but it will take a bit of work. The easy way is to leave at least 1 team in the independents.

I see you can delete teams, is it complicated to delete conferences (but keep the teams)? It would be neat if someone wanted to do stuff like delete all the conferences and have all the teams fight for the 65 at large bids, and things like that.

But if it's time consuming at all to do, then it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #372
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you want to do 65 at large bids, set all conferences conferences automatic tourney berth to no. If you really want to everyone to be independent then set games to 0 for all conferences.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #373
Emmett13
College Starter

Quote:
If you want to do 65 at large bids, set all conferences conferences automatic tourney berth to no. If you really want to everyone to be independent then set games to 0 for all conferences.

D'OH!

Didn't even think about that.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #374
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Oh man, didn't see that before. You can delete AND add teams. Huge addition to the game! I'm excited. Even though I'm still regularly playing the original version, the one thing that made it feel really dated was the inability to enter the current conference affiliations due to the addition of 20 or so D-1 teams since the last version. Excellent.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #375
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

You can't delete teams in an active league but you can add. The default league has much more freedom.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #376
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
You can't delete teams in an active league but you can add. The default league has much more freedom.

Yeah, as long as you can do anything with the default league, that's the important thing. Though I don't know if I'll have the heart to delete my school when the time comes (New Orleans, exiting D-1 in 2-3 years... ugh).
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #377
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
For a tempory fix you can drop it to 100 and everything should work. It will also work if I include larger versions of the background images. I need to see if I can't make the game detect if this setting is changed from 100 and react accordingly.

That worked.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #378
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

There are system properties you can check for this (I had to do it once for the old Extractor method). If you can't find it, let me know and I can look it up for you.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #379
Emmett13
College Starter

I'm really anxious to see how transferring works. One of the bad things about how it worked in DDS:CB was it was so reliant on a player having a 'bad attitude'. So, you'd see a lot of these super malcontent players transferring twice in their career. Playing their freshman year somewhere, then transferring, sophomore year somewhere, then transferring, losing their junior season, then their senior somewhere else.

Not that it DOESN'T happen. But it was frustrating to see.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #380
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I'm pretty sure the end result of the sizing issues will be that I can fix it automatically for anyone who is using a vertical resolution over 960 while anyone lower will need to switch to 100% or 96dpi font size to play. When you use the larger font size the application window is increased in size as well. As long as the window fits on your screen, its not a problem to increase the size of the images. Trying to dynamically size the window itself and all of the controls is pretty much a programming nightmare within VB.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #381
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
I'm really anxious to see how transferring works. One of the bad things about how it worked in DDS:CB was it was so reliant on a player having a 'bad attitude'. So, you'd see a lot of these super malcontent players transferring twice in their career. Playing their freshman year somewhere, then transferring, sophomore year somewhere, then transferring, losing their junior season, then their senior somewhere else.

Not that it DOESN'T happen. But it was frustrating to see.

Which is why I generally hate games that have chemistry, personality, or clutch ratings since they really are fluff with no baseis in statistics of any kind.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #382
John Galt
Pro Starter

This is the image of the game when I move the taskbar to the right. I have a very similar setup as Icy, but it seems like the game is treating my 1900x1080 resolution as though it were Icy's 1900x1200 resolution. But that's just a guess.
Attached Images
File Type: gif FBCB2.gif (700.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #383
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

That's it! Switched to small and everything is working fine - thanks!
Great game - so glad you're updating it.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #384
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Ok, I'll do some checking. The game is definately running at 1.5x normal size there without breaking the images.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #385
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

John you are running at 150% font size with XP scaling off. If you knock it down to even 125% while playing it will fit. The key thing on windows 7 is going to the "Set custom text size (DPI)" option and making sure that "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" is unchecked. Then if the border is still stretching off the screen try the next lowest scale percentage. I'm betting I'll have to disable the code to use the larger images that I'm putting in on Windows 7.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #386
Emmett13
College Starter

Quote:
Right now draft entries are purely based on pro potential. I need to add the performance component back in.

The tourney seeding code hasn't changed as far as I remember. I'd need to see the entire bracket to see what happened.

I took the screen caps, but forgot to post them up until tonight:

Wish they weren't so big...but, the midwest bracket had the 2nd round conference matchup.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #387
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

That was unavoidable as the teams are currently seeded. You had 2 #1 seeds from the conference and 3 #8/9 seeds. While in real life they might actaully drop OSU to a 10 seed to avoid the possible matchup, they actually relaxed several of those rules starting this year. I'd have to look at the code to figure out how difficult it would be to implement that. It might not be too bad to try and avoid the 2nd round matchups. That's all the NCAA does now.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #388
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Has anyone done any number crunching in regards to the player heights and weights?

I'm seeing a fair amount of teams like this:

That's two 6-6 Centers, a 6-5 Power Forward, four guards under 6-0 with 2 of them at 5-6. That's an average height of 75.2 inches. (or 6-3+)

Of course I look up Penn State's real life roster and they have no centers listed.. lol. Average height is 76.9 inches, so that's not off by a ton.

Of course, this is an extremely small sample size, but I can't even imagine the two North Dakota teams going with 6-6 Centers. Will have to look at the bigger picture here if I can export some stuff to Excel.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #389
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Height was redone. It's actually far more realistic now. For real life examples of this sort of team take a look at Marquette. Having 2 5-6 guys is rare though. Here's a look at average heights this year:

http://kenpom.com/height.php?s=SizeRank
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #390
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Glad to hear that, Brian. And thanks for that link.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 03-25-2010 at 11:23 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #391
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How far are we from a release?

I'm ready for some college bball!

Of couse I could fire up FBCB!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #392
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I'm waiting for one more set of images from the guy who does the graphics. I also now have a much bigger list of stuff to work on thanks to posting the demo. Hopefully not too long. I still need to figure out what is causing the error 75's for some people on Windows 7 64 bit. The game tests for write access to the folders it uses when it first opens. It should error out right then if there is an issue.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #393
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Height was redone. It's actually far more realistic now. For real life examples of this sort of team take a look at Marquette. Having 2 5-6 guys is rare though. Here's a look at average heights this year:

2010 College Basketball Statistics: Height

thanks for that link, great statpage i didn´t know about at all

Seems as if too many top-notch recruit are undersized though from what i´ve seen, but that might be just gas ...

Really, really excited about the game, so many great things added (team snapshot f.e. i just found out about, awesome)

Just release it once you are ready, although i guess 98% ready will be more than fine for most people here

Last edited by whomario : 03-26-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #394
Balldog
Pro Rookie

The problem with heights aren't the overall average, its the highs and lows.

In my latest sim....

Siena had a PG that was 6'10"
Old Dominion had a PG that was 5'2"

There were 29 SG 6'8" to 6'10" and a 5'5" and 5'6" SG.

62 SF 6'2" and under.

7 SF at 6'10".

53 PF 6'11 and over (up to 7'3")

12 C 7'2" and over (up to 7'6")

37 C 6'6" and under (lowest at 6'5")

I think the ranges could be tightened.

I'll provide some more specific data this weekend.

Last edited by Balldog : 03-26-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #395
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
The problem with heights aren't the overall average, its the highs and lows.

In my latest sim....

Siena had a PG that was 6'10"
Old Dominion had a PG that was 5'2"

There were 29 SG 6'8" to 6'10" and a 5'5" and 5'6" SG.

62 SF 6'2" and under.

7 SF at 6'10".

53 PF 6'11 and over (up to 7'3")

12 C 7'2" and over (up to 7'6")

37 C 6'6" and under (lowest at 6'5")

I think the ranges could be tightened.

I'll provide some more specific data this weekend.

Balldog when you looked at the teams were those players all freshman?

Something to keep in mind with this is the change from FBCB on how the game uses/ see's the positions for the players. They come in with a position, but if your 6"10 Freshman Center plays more at SF the game changes the position from C to SF on the screens due to him actually playing the SF position more than C position.

Last edited by muns : 03-26-2010 at 08:23 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #396
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to say this looks AWESOME and will be a day one purchase for me. Thanks HR!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #397
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm waiting for one more set of images from the guy who does the graphics. I also now have a much bigger list of stuff to work on thanks to posting the demo. Hopefully not too long. I still need to figure out what is causing the error 75's for some people on Windows 7 64 bit. The game tests for write access to the folders it uses when it first opens. It should error out right then if there is an issue.

I'll wait then.. really love the look!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #398
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome, will check this out tonight.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #399
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Balldog when you looked at the teams were those players all freshman?

Something to keep in mind with this is the change from FBCB on how the game uses/ see's the positions for the players. They come in with a position, but if your 6"10 Freshman Center plays more at SF the game changes the position from C to SF on the screens due to him actually playing the SF position more than C position.

No, what I did was exported via text files to CSV after the season. Then worked from there.

So these 6'10" SF are actually playing SF, which that kind of size is rare at the college level. I have Groundhog's 2002-2003 file, which I'll compare to this weekend and share the results at FBB.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #400
Emmett13
College Starter

Is team prestige looked at in a vacuum? A 70 is a 70 is a 70? Or is it relative to the conference you're in?

Does a recruit look at Oral Roberts' 70 prestige the same as Michigan's 70 prestige?