Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Eilim
High School Varsity

A quest for more speed.. (LFS Racing sim training journal.)

Prologue:

Some people might remember my endless pimping of the game "Live for Speed" a while back in a post about the new racing sim Rfactor in the general forums. At the time I was hopelessly addicted to the game (even went out and bought a Logitech MOMO wheel, can't wait for their new version in november.) Even with my addiction, I never really ventured online after I upgraded from the demo as while I love racing sims, I tend to not be very good at them due to the problem of having a lead foot.

Anyways, a few months back my gaming rig died on me and I didn't have the funds to replace it, thus ending my hardcore offline training in the game (I had aspirations of being competitive online at some point.).

Well, a few weeks ago I finally got around to getting a new gaming rig. Admittedly with the new rig I went out and bought a bunch of games that would have made my old system cry (BF2, CS:Source, Oblvion..) even venturing into *gasp* other racing sims. Tried Rfactor for more than one lap this time.. and well, bleahk.. not a bad game per se, but felt too much like a video game and not a simulator to me. Tried GTL, even knowing is was pretty much on the same engine. Had a better time with that, but mainly because I could tool around in some classic cars, especially the old Falcon.. (Heck, I learned to drive in an old ford falcon.) but still felt too gamey to me, not really able to get a realistic feel for the cars through the force feedback and game sounds.

So, I went back to my old favorite, and fell in love all over again. Going back at 1680x1050, all details turned high and surround sound didn't hurt either. While it does have its quirks, with the latest patch this game just feels the closest to actually driving a car I've ever felt without actually getting behind the wheel. (Nascar 2003 being the king previously, too bad I get bored with ovals too quickly.)

Well, what does any of this have to do with writing a dynasty? Well, remember how I said i wasn't very good? Well, taking time away from the game didn't help that. throw in the fact I spent a good chunk of time playing GTL which has a completely different feel, I've gotten worse.. much worse. Lost 5 seconds lap time in the easiest car on the easiest track. This dynasty will be a training diary of sorts. Following along with me while I try to get myself to a point I feel I can compete in one of the many online leagues, who knows, if it goes well.. Might even follow my "career" in online racing.

I'll be using the GTi car, on the track Blackwood GP. This way I can post replays that others can watch using just the demo if their interested. Maybe even want to train along with me, even if to just point and laugh at how much I suck.

To take this even a bit further, I have a 23(20 racer+3 spectators) player dedicated LFS s2 server I picked up for some friends and family to tool around on once in a while with me. When we're not using it, I'll kick it down to being a demo server (sadly, when in demo mode, it only allows 11 connections, 10 racers +1 spectator.) So anyone interested can check out the lfs demo and maybe get some racing in without having to worry about the "wreckers" that populate the public demo servers.

I'll actually be trying to use the online track for most of my practices, so feel free to grab a copy of the demo and join me.

The server ip is: 64.37.104.43 , when in demo mode it'll be named FOCC Test Track, with the password being "trout". Feel free to share the password with a friend or two if ya want use the server to race against them online. I just ask that the info not be posted anywhere else, and that you respect any racers you find already on the track.

Oh, and FOCC is not a typo. Didn't want to use FOFC, and am not very original with names so Front Office Car Club popped into my head.

You can grab the LFS demo here: http://www.liveforspeed.net/

Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Eilim
High School Varsity

Ok, got that rambling over with, onto the dynasty, actually just a bit more rambling...

When I stopped playing LFS, my best time in the GTi in Blackwood was in the 1:36 range. About 3-4 seconds off the world record times. Wasn't bad, but I had been shooting for within 2 seconds. When I got the game licensed I ended up moving on to other car and track combos but always went back and did a few laps to keep my times in that 1.36 range.

Ok, since the latest patch the WR times have raised about a second for the GTi. While the cars grip better and handle more realisticly, certain cars also are slower to accelerate. The Gti being one of them. I wasn't not looking forward to seeing my lap times on starting my virtual racing career over.

Well, I was right to be scared. My first night I only had about a half hour to play. Got in a few 5 lap sessions. God it was ugly. I was ranging anywhere from 1.44s to *gasp* 1.50s. I just couldn't find my line, let alone stay on it. Even with the better grip I found myself going off the track quite a bit as I was going backing and forth from being too aggresive, then to passive in all aspects of my driving.. braking, throttle, steering, shifting.

I don't have any replays from these sessions (thank god.) as at the time I wasn't thinking of doing a write up. Don't think they would be worth the download to watch except for maybe comedy value.

My "training" got put on hold for a bit as I switched shifts at work, but I was able to get in a few sessions a day. I've found my racing line, although I still need work at actually staying on it it at times. *sigh* I'm consistenly putting up high 1.41s low 1.42s now. Still pathetic, but no longer making me think of deleting the game and chucking my wheel in the trashbin.

So now I'm getting into "serious" mode, well, as serious as you can be about getting better in a video game. I'm going to try and get in atleast an hour+ racing a day and keep a log of my splits,laps and overall times. I most likely won't be posting after every session, probably will do a weekly wrap-up of sorts unless I hit some noteworthy milestone I feel the need to share. Hope to see some of you on the track with me in the future. Just promise not to laugh to much as I spin out my little hatchback in the sand.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote