Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
ReiperXHC
n00b

A noobie Dynasty (Bears)

Okay. I've had this game for a few months now, and I can honestly say that I love it. I'm addicted. Straight up!

I haven't actually done anything to get any better. I always seem to just speed through each season, and blow throught the off season as fast as possible with no real strategy in mind just to see how many of my guys make it to the Hall of Fame.

Anyways, I'm not getting any better at this game doing things that way, and I don't think I'm fully enjoying everything this game has to offer by doing it. So I'm going to kill 3 birds with 1 stone by doing things here.

Bird 1: I've been pretty depressed due to a loss in my family. This will help me to keep my mind of of things a little and on something else.

Bird 2: I might actually take things slowly in this game and figure out how to use some of the features in it to my advantage.

Bird 3: Somebody might even chim in here on this thread and I might learn a little something that could make me enjoy this game EVEN MORE!!! heh.

Okay there is no house rules (yet?) I haven't really given this game much thought strategically and I'm kinda' new still the the intricacies of football in general, so until I feel that I'm pounding the computer AI down every season, I will not have any house rules.

Cap raise range set at 60-90 based on a thread by SkyDog...supposed to make the AI better at contract management etc...forget who's idea this origionally was, but I got the idea from SkyDog who got the idea from someone else etc...

Injury at 200. I want this to be challenging and realistic to at least a certain extent...I hope all my guys getting injured doesn't piss me off too much.

The player file I'm using is a custom one I've made that has no players in it. (This way every player is a randomly generated "rookie") and it starts in 2004. I made it that way so that I could import TCY drafts and have every player (bar the rookies who started) a player who was picked up in the random high schools of TCY. Yeah I'm wierd lol.

There will be no thread for my TCY game as I am currently using that one just to blow through and get draft files lol.

Okay. I'm going to start this off with the Allocation Draft. (Yes I'm going to do the whole thing, I'm going to do everything manually this time through the game.)

Oh and just so you guys know, the highest rated random rookies are usually between 60 and 70. And there's only like 3 or 4 players rated that high. We probably won't have any super studs until the first draft, and then only a couple yet. (will be more league wide after 5 drafts or so)

Thank you for reading (if you do) and commenting (if you do)

Next post coming after some or all of the allocation draft is completed.

-Reip

ReiperXHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
ReiperXHC
n00b

Dola.

Hot damn that was a long post...lol

Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
ReiperXHC
n00b

Okay we have the 7th pick overall in the allocation draft. I was thinking that I should pick a RB or a QB to start off with, but there's a very nice looking WILB R.J. Perkinswith all blue bars almost all the way to the right (except pass rush strength.)

He's rated 16 (75) but with no training camp after this, 99.9 percent of the players in the league will have their future ratings take a hit. He'll probably be in the 60's after the draft.

Anyways. If I pick him, he may be the one player from this draft that has anything close to a "stellar" career.

On the QB/RB side of things, on offense I'm thinking I kind of want to try for some kind of smash mouth/short pass, West Coast type of thing. And there is a good RB by the name of Ike Alger who looks to be pretty close to the total package as far as the type of offense that I'm trying for.

Third down running, hole recognition and elusiveness all look to be pretty darn good (all the way to the right/hole recognition "almost" all the way). Plus avoid drops and getting down field are all the way to the right. With route running about half way.

If I go with the back, he'll likely get a lot of passes anyway because the players in this draft are so low rated that after the first few rounds the pickings are going to be very thin.

Kelly Riley seems to be the only QB near the top worth mentioning. He looks to be well rounded and pretty good as far as accuracey, timing, etc...go. Decent gray bars in all of those (except scrambling.)

Passing skills are better than average at screen and short pass (which is what I belive are needed for my plans) and long passing.

As far as Ike Alger is concerned, he seems to be a serious impact player, but I have no idea what I plan on running on the defensive side of the ball. He's so good though that he'd probably fit in no mater what I decide to do there.

Any thoughts from the collective "media" here? I'm so torn between these 3. And if I don't make a pick soon, I may end up freaking out and adding more players to this list. (Why oh why can't I just keep things simple and to th point...at this rate, it's going to be a month before I finish this allocation draft lol)

-Reip

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
ReiperXHC
n00b

Dola. By the way. Does anybody have any opinions on how important "endurance" is to the grand scheme of things? If a guy just looks spectacular at everything and his endurance is low, how bad does that really make him overall?

And how much endurance is considered good...(for that matter...how full should the bars be to determine if someone is worthy ANYTHING in that category?)

Old 08-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiperXHC View Post
Dola. By the way. Does anybody have any opinions on how important "endurance" is to the grand scheme of things? If a guy just looks spectacular at everything and his endurance is low, how bad does that really make him overall?

And how much endurance is considered good...(for that matter...how full should the bars be to determine if someone is worthy ANYTHING in that category?)

This is completely annecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt. I ALWAYS liked to get guys with high endurance, simply because I didn't want to pay them a boatload of money and have them sit half the plays out.

That changed a tiny bit when I found a CB, which I desperately needed, who had great bars, but a 20-ish endurance. Instead of writing him off, I checked out their stat pages to see how many plays he played in compared to a starting CB on my team who had 90-ish endurance. He played 100 or so less plays, but if you think about that, it's only about 6-7 plays per game, which isn't bad at all.

I have noticed, however, that low endurance players get the * on the roster screen, meaning they're tired. So I think endurance might have more to do with "season endurance" than "game endurance." I have no idea how much being tired affects their play though.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
ReiperXHC
n00b

Hmm. Perhaps that's something I can keep an eye on as my season(s) progresses. Based on your input, Jets, I'm going to be somewhat lenient on the endurance side of things. If they have a ton of it...great. But if they don't, as long as they have "some," I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, Jets.

-Reip

Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
ReiperXHC
n00b

Okay, I've decided to get the ball rolling here. Kelly Riley "MIGHT" last to round two, and I'm going to count on that....or just go searching for a different QB.

Throughout history, the Bears have always been known to have great ILB's, but the same can be said about RB's too. I'm going to go with Ike Alger just so I can get the ball rolling here.

I don't know if I'm going to go through this on every round of the allocation draft. Though it does help me to actually look at the guys who I'm picking instead of just looking at the Free Agents and picking whoever has the highest future potential lol.

We'll see...

So 7th overall pick of the enire league the Chicago Bears select...

Ike Alger, RB, "Illinois"

Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
ReiperXHC
n00b

R.J. Perkins got picked up 9th overall by New Orleans (as expected).

Kelly Riley just got picked up with the 15th pick in the 2nd round by the Jets. (Damn! Contratulations there, JetsIn06.) So the hunt is going to be on for a different QB to pick, but that position is getting to be slim pickins' very quickly, so I'm going to ignore that one for now until later. (it's too bad you can't do any trading up/down in the allocation draft lol)

Anyways I've decided to come up with an idea on defense so that I'm not shooting in the dark as I'm selecting those guys. I'm thinking that I eventually want to have a group of superstars on the defensive line who can pass rush and stop the run. OLBs who can blitz and play zone, Safetys who can zone, CB's who can stop the run and intercept as well as play in m2m.

This defense seem feasable (sp?) to anybody?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
ReiperXHC
n00b

Okay, I made the first 4 picks. After this I'm going to do these posts in groups of 5's. That way there won't be a million posts about my allocation draft...which is probably boring anyways.

Plus I kinda' want to get to the brunt of the game here sooner rather than later. But I will give a description of the picks, and why I picked them...etc. (later rounds might be a little quicker due to lack of talent and less important players) So here are the 1st 4.

1-7: Ike Alger, RB, 39 (62)

Already a description of him "see above". Should be a cornerstone of our offensive attack for at least a few seasons, and possibly a future backup/passing down back.

2-26: Donovan Bernard, LG, 19 (61)

Balanced and pretty darned good looking in every bar except endurance which is pretty low. Here I'm looking to get guys to help create holes for Alger, as well as being pretty good for our eventual QB to protect him a bit for his WC short passing.

3-7: J.C. Penner, FS, 21 (66)

Blue all the way to the right against the Run, Zone, B&R, Play Diagnosis, Punt Returning (sweet), and special teams. Is also almost that far in interceptions. This guy is probably going to be about as much of a stud in the secondary that any teams will get in their secondary with this low caliber draft.

4-26: Everett Tafoya, RG, 21 (58)

Another well rounded guard (the other one). He has more endurance than Bernard.

Last edited by ReiperXHC : 08-26-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Travis
Pro Rookie

Reading along, good luck with the dynasty and getting deeper into the game.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
ReiperXHC
n00b

Thank you, Travis.

Note to everyone, I've edited the previous post here, to include their ACTUAL positions (added "left" guard instead of just "guard" etc.) as well as the scouts impressions, (current ratings with future ratings in parenthises).

Here's the next 5 rounds.

5-7: Donnie George, C, 17 (59)

I didn't want to go too long without having a decent center. Great at both Pass and Run blocking, but has low blocking strength. Decent endurance, but definately not a long snapper.

6-26: Marcus Brennan, TE, 29 (55)

Higher end players are already very few and far between, and TE's don't go very quickly. I decided to pick up a good one here just so I can have at least some good players. He's good at pass blocking, but not very strong. Key skills for short passing. He's very good at avoiding drops, getting down field and route running (nice). Has good courage, EXCELLENT endurance, a special teamer...and...will be our long snapper probably as that one is flush over to the right (makes up for the center having like...none)

7-7: Tyrus Farr, MLB, 14 (57)

Good at run defense, zone, and play diagnosis with decent endurance. He's also very good with B&R but I highly doubt he'll be needing that on this team. I guess he's decent with pass rushing too, but I kinda' plan on blitzing with the OLB's rather than the MLB, but who knows...things are very likely to change as I get into the game planning and strategy aspect of this game. (4-3 btw)

8-26: Kenneth Gianettino, SS, 14 (57)

Good at run defense. Zone and play diagnosis all the way right. Special teamer that may return kicks and has good endurance. What an annoying last name to say. lol

9-7: Dexter Gardner, RDE, 14 (47)

The defensive linemen are starting to become very slim pickins'. I thought I should probably pick up one or two before we're only left with guys with potential in like the 30s. Anyways. Good run and pass rush, but low strength for it. (hard to find strong guys in this draft already) Good play diagnosis (apparently we'll have a very "smart" defense lol) Good endurance.

Next 5 rounds a little later. Nearing the half way point of picking up my starters here.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm a little leery of your loading up on guards right away, since tackles are so damned hard to find.

FWIW, I avoid the low-endurance guys as much as humanly possible, especially when it comes to RB.

I'll be following along though

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
ReiperXHC
n00b

Well, honesly. Just about every player in the league is going to have current ratings in the teens or below. So I don't think it should be too big of a deal.

I never thought about that, I'm just trying to get a few guys who I might keep down the stretch a little as much better talent comes along in the amateur drafts. Perhaps I can pick up some tackles there.

But as far as current talent goes, all teams will probably be pretty close to even. (either that or the guys who have current ratings in the 20's will seem like superstars lol)

Maybe I can pick up a couple tackles with higher current ratings, but very little future ahead of them, just to get through this season.

-Reip

:edit: Crapola....by god you're right... q=( running inside might suck a little here in this first season. At least there's a chance the back can get a lot done on his own.

Last edited by ReiperXHC : 08-26-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
ReiperXHC
n00b

Alright, the next stage here. Izulde frightened me into selecting two of the best mediocre offensive tackles out there lol.

10-26: Kenyon Johnston, LT, 14 (43)

As the players are getting frighteningly worse, I'm beginning to pay more attenton to gray bars rather than blue. And soon decisions aren't going to be based on how far to the right their gray bar is...but much more likely...do they even have any gray bar, lol. That said, Kenyon has better bars in pass blocking and endurance, and still shows "some" gray in run and blocking strength lol.

11-7: Jason Muller, LT, 19 (48)

Much more rounded than kenyon, all gray bars going past the first "line" and his slightly strongest skill is in his blocking strength.

12-26: Jeremy Mayes, RCB, 17 (51)

Oops I messed up a little here...I forgot that I was planning on m2m with my CB's, and this guy has like nil in that category. Maybe he can switch positions with one of the much better safeties. Anyways, his gray bars cross the 2nd line in (i'm only going to list relevant to my scheme bars) run defense, zone, play diagnosis, and interceptions. This guy should fit in very well here....maybe I'll even keep him as a corner and do bump and run (which is his highest bar anyway) instead of man 2 man with the CB's. Yeah I think I will do that, because I really like this guy as a CB.

13-7: Oliver Heath, QB, 13 (50)

Still needed a QB, and thought I should pick one up before it was entirely too late and got stuck with 3rd string calibur as my starter heh. Screen and short both around the middle line as far as passing skills. As far as other skills, 3rd down, accuracy, etc. All past the middle line except for sense rush, which the gray bar is exactly at the first line. (All will drop down after the draft by the way, so anything that's not at least "above" the first line is pretty much going to suck)

14-26: Roman Bolender, MLB, 12 (47)

This guy is going to be moved to one of the OLB positions. He's actually quite decent for this stage of this cruddy cruddy allocation draft. Good pass rusher who can zone and stop the run, with good endurance and play diagnosis. Perfect fit imho.

This draft is beginning to dry out very very quickly. These first couple of seasons are probably going to feel like high school football. A solid starter at QB will probably average like 65.5 in QB rating...etc...

On the other hand...RB's will likely have excellent seasons, as the best current ratings in the league are in that position...which is good...because we have the best one. As a matter of fact our RB has a current rating of 39, which is the best current rating of any player in the entire league. (FRIGGIN' SWEET) That young man will win us a lot of games, and I'm now thinking that until we get our offense in better shape a few seasons down the road, this will be a KCY style pound the rock offense.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
ReiperXHC
n00b

Dola.

After I've selected all the starters I'm just going to select the back-ups and stuff without these descriptions, just to get the ball rolling. By that point everybody is going to suck so bad that they're not really going to be worth mentioning. There won't even be any mentors for a long while, and I probably won't even put too much thought into them. Hell, I might even just let the computer pick them.

-Reip

Old 08-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
ReiperXHC
n00b

Next group here.

15-7: Teddy Thomason, FL, 21 (43)

It's time we had some recievers. Kinda' worried because I forgot about them, and I can't run the ball on EVERY play. I'd like to at least pick up SOME yards when we pass. Best at Avoid Drops, Getting Downfield and Courage. Decent route running, and endurance.

16-26: Bernard Keck, SE, 15 (42)

Avoids drops, gets downfield, and can run routes. Will probably be the go-to guy (if there is such a thing this late in the draft.) Good courage, and does decent at adjusting to the ball. Endurance is at least past the first line.

17-7: Darren Camudgeon, LDE, 17 (40)

I needed some defensive linemen, I've only selected one up until this point. He has a really really good pass rush technique. Decent play diagnosis. that's about it. lol I think all of the like 3 guys who have any strength (blocking or rushing) got taken in the first round, cuz I can't find any. So if I want any kind of a pass rush, they're just going to have to be weaklings...it shouldn't matter I guess since the blockers he's getting past will be weak too.

18-26: Sherman Carpenter, LDT, 5 (39)

Low current rating, I'm taking a chance on him. Good run defense, Pass rush technique, AND play diagnosis. No strength (I'm just not going to mention strength anymore....unless I see someone who actually has some)

19-7: Conrad Flowers, RDT, 21 (40)

This guy shows gray in everything, I'm taking a chance on him too because every thing is low below the first line except for punishing hitter and endurance. Did I mention he has gray? lol

Alright one more round left before I decide wether or not I'm going to tell everybody about the scrubs of the league...already we're close to the guys who will probably have very short 3 or 4 year careers...unless there's some gold in them thar hills...

Old 08-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
ReiperXHC
n00b

Okay this is the last set of draftees that I'm going to get into in depth this way. After this I'm going to finish the draft, and do a full roster overview, and get the season started.

20-26: Louie Cox, P, 41 (76)

Exploitation alert!!! LoL Okay, I exploited a game quirk...I know the the AI doesn't pick kickers and punters until after round 22, so I moved in on this territory early to see if I could get an edge. All I gotta' say is great bars here.

21-7: Sam Stack, K, 31 (77)

Again, great bars here...ha ha ha suckers (on the other teams) your kickers suck!!!! Mua ha haaaa....

22-26: Bo Baker, WLB, 19 (45)

Was a MLB when I drafted him, I already switched him over, this guy got a ratings bump when he switched positions, same with the other MLB I drafted to be an OLB. Both got bumps. Sweeeeeeet.....

23-7: Ed Moen, LCB, 14 (38)

Good at bump and run....that's why he got picked. lol

24-26: Tracy Weaver, FB, 12 (42)

I honesly could have done MUCH better in this position since the computer AI drafts full-backs later than other positions, but I completely forgot about this position until just now. So a mediocre FB to go with a mediocre offense in a mediocre league all around. Oh...he shows promise in blocking...yeah....

Well those are my starters....I'm just going to finish up the draft now so we can get on with the show. Thanks everybody for bearing with this slow painful process without any stellar athletes lol. Except Ike Alger of course...and our 2 kickers he he.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
ReiperXHC
n00b

A QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE REST OF THE DRAFT

I went ahead and picked up a buncha' back-ups and filled in all the "required" slots in my roster with guys who might at least "help" with my desired game plans. After I filled thos in, I just went ahead and let my scout finish it up because I was getting antsy about doing all that.

At least my team is honed toward a specific goal instead of just being a buncha' random overall scores like it would have been if I'd just let the scout do the WHOLE draft.

I'm now going to pick up the last few guys to fill in the rest of my roster to 60. That way we have more chances to find some players who might one day be something as I do the pre-season.

I won't fill you in on who they are unless they make the team though.

Thank you for dealing with my allocation draft.

-Reip

Old 08-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
ReiperXHC
n00b

Okay, that's it for today. An old friend just called, and I haven't been out of the house much lately so I'm gonna' go spend some time with him. Haven't seen him in a while either. I probably won't be able to get back to this until about Wed. or Thurs.

Feel free, anybody, to go ahead and post your thoughts anyway. Thanks.

-Reip