Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #601
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Never mind, read the dev diaries and picked up the DLC. For 9 bucks seems like it does some nice things with the game.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #602
MrBug708
Head Coach

From Holy Kingdom to Unholy nightmare - Why this is the best DLC yet
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #603
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That's fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #604
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That's fantastic.

Agreed
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #605
Izulde
Head Coach

Amazeballs indeed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #606
cschex
High School Varsity

Damn, I'm like 3 major DLC's behind on CK2 (thats what having more kids will do to free time) but I pretty much have to buy this now
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #607
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

BF4 and minecraft are sucking up my game-time these days but I'm bound and determined to figure this game out because I can see the potential. Some helpful paradox forum posts mention not starting as a king and simply picking a small isolated vassal but that is still complicated. I just downloaded the PDF that was mentioned earlier in this post and I'm going to look for some Let's Play series on YouTube for some help making sense of the incredibly dense amount of information provided to me at any given time.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #608
Izulde
Head Coach

I personally always liked Ireland as the starting point for learning how to play the game.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #609
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I personally always liked Ireland as the starting point for learning how to play the game.

agreed. It's isolated enough and there are enough allies, and shifting alliances to make a rise to power possible. I tend avoid eastern europe or the small, poor, landlocked provinces as they tend to be pretty short games.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #610
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
BF4 and minecraft are sucking up my game-time these days but I'm bound and determined to figure this game out because I can see the potential. Some helpful paradox forum posts mention not starting as a king and simply picking a small isolated vassal but that is still complicated. I just downloaded the PDF that was mentioned earlier in this post and I'm going to look for some Let's Play series on YouTube for some help making sense of the incredibly dense amount of information provided to me at any given time.
This guy does a pretty good job at showing how the game works:

Crusader Kings 2 - Tutorial Pt 1- Early Setup... - YouTube
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #611
bhlloy
Coordinator

Anyone ever manually nuked the HRE to start a game? Found a guide online as to how to do it (grant independence to all states you can, create large kingdoms for the ones you can't and then start wars of independence/surrender and eventually HRE dies with very little chance of ever starting back up)

A million times more interesting although maybe a bit easy - managed to turn Tuscany into Italy in around 40 years although the republics keep kicking my ass when I try to integrate them into the kingdom.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #612
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I recommend Denmark as a great place to start the game - it's got a huge ruling dynasty, with elective succession which keeps things lively, but at the same time if you're careful there's not much risk of the heir being someone outside the dynasty. Lots of internal strife, but if you can keep the HRE happy you have a free hand dealing with the (constantly feuding) Norway and Sweden.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #613
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
This guy does a pretty good job at showing how the game works:

Crusader Kings 2 - Tutorial Pt 1- Early Setup... - YouTube

Nice, thanks for the link! learned a bunch of stuff from the first 2 videos. I now need to get deeper into the Military aspect. I look at the military screens and my eyes glaze over because I have no clue what to make of them.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #614
Schmidty
Coordinator

So is anyone else playing the new release of the Game of Thrones mod? I'm having a heck of a time playing as Dany and getting out of Meereen. Too many republics on this huge continent.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #615
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
So is anyone else playing the new release of the Game of Thrones mod? I'm having a heck of a time playing as Dany and getting out of Meereen. Too many republics on this huge continent.

I should be. Somebody revoked my dropbox access to the mod though, and never responded to my PMs, which irritated me, so I put it down for the time being.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #616
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I should be. Somebody revoked my dropbox access to the mod though, and never responded to my PMs, which irritated me, so I put it down for the time being.

That sucks.

So do I. You know you will play again. Just give in!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #617
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - well I was on the mod team in the beginning and did a lot of balance-testing on it, but then had gone quiet for a while so I guess there was a leak of a dev build so they cleared out a bunch of people who's names they didn't recognize who had access to the dropbox, and one of those was me.

Been busy with other stuff so didn't really raise a ruckus to try to get access back to it all that hard to be honest.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #618
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yeah - well I was on the mod team in the beginning and did a lot of balance-testing on it, but then had gone quiet for a while so I guess there was a leak of a dev build so they cleared out a bunch of people who's names they didn't recognize who had access to the dropbox, and one of those was me.

Been busy with other stuff so didn't really raise a ruckus to try to get access back to it all that hard to be honest.

I get it.

Please get into it though!!! I need help.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #619
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Rajas of India expansion is out today! Looks pretty cool if you're at all interested in India or simply want new lands to conquer.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #620
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Rajas of India expansion is out today! Looks pretty cool if you're at all interested in India or simply want new lands to conquer.

I'm pretty excited about this expansion, but I'm about a quarter way through an Ireland game at the moment, and don't want to upgrade yet as it'll likely break that save.

I've also been waiting for the previous DLC to go on sale (Sons of Abraham), but it's stubbornly been holding at $10.

I like the idea of an expanded map in Rajas. That could be a lot of fun.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #621
PilotMan
Head Coach

Steam has CK2 on sale and for those of us who haven't bought the shit-ton of dlc's they have a pack that has the cheaper stuff for $12.49. It does have Sword of Islam, Sunset Invasion, Legacy of Rome and The Republic.

Like Steam?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #622
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Steam has CK2 on sale and for those of us who haven't bought the shit-ton of dlc's they have a pack that has the cheaper stuff for $12.49. It does have Sword of Islam, Sunset Invasion, Legacy of Rome and The Republic.

Hadn't purchased it at all so I couldn't pass this up
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #623
Izulde
Head Coach

Waiting for SoA and RoI to go on sale before I pick them up, but they look awesome.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #624
vex
Grizzled Veteran

What should I get that isn't included in this?

Crusader Kings II
Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields
Crusader Kings II: Mongol Faces
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith
Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land
Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Caliph
Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield II
Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Crusader Kings II: Byzantine Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: African Portraits
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Byzantium
Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Crusader Kings II: Russian Portraits
Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Rus
Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Crusader Kings II: Mediterranean Portraits
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Prosperityrity
Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #625
Izulde
Head Coach

The Old Gods

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #626
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Old Gods

Thanks! Can't beat the price right now.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #627
britrock88
Pro Starter

If I'm only interested in the substantive mods (Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, Republic, Old Gods), which should I spring for?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #628
britrock88
Pro Starter

Oh, hell, wasn't really thinking about the price. I can spring for them all.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #629
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
If I'm only interested in the substantive mods (Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, Republic, Old Gods), which should I spring for?

Skip the "songs" and the unit packs and portraits and spring for everything else then.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-27-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #630
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

How long does the sale go on for?

I've always been interested in Crusader Kings, but never took the plunge due to the learning curve. The From Holy Kingdom to Unholy Nightmare link above is enough to have me extremely interested now, perhaps enough to take the plunge. How I missed that the first time around is beyond me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #631
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
How long does the sale go on for?

I've always been interested in Crusader Kings, but never took the plunge due to the learning curve. The From Holy Kingdom to Unholy Nightmare link above is enough to have me extremely interested now, perhaps enough to take the plunge. How I missed that the first time around is beyond me.

Til Friday 10a Pacific time

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #632
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Shit, going to have to get my roommate to do it then. I'm put up in a dorm for work training all week. Lame.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #633
PilotMan
Head Coach

What's your Steam name Vince?

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #634
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Vince.cressio I think? I'm in the FOFC group. My roommate's got it handled though.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #635
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright let me know. I can help if you need.

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #636
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

If you can only get one, I personally would rank them as follows:

1. Old Gods - Earlier start date, and playing as pagans (especially vikings) is a lot of fun. This one gives the most bang for the buck, and is a must buy IMO. However, dealing with the pagans in the earlier starts is much more difficult. Best DLC, and nothing else is even close.
2. Sword of Islam - Lets you play as a Muslim. Playing Muslim was kind of gamey getting around the decadence problem, but they have done a massive change to the decadence system with the latest patch. I haven't played as a Muslim since the new patch, but early reports are that it is much better, but still needs some tweaking.
3. Republic - Lets you play as a Doge (merchant). It's a very different type of game. Not my favorite, but I know a lot of people that like this style of game.
4. Legacy of Rome - Adds some improvements to playing as an Orthodox/Byzantine. The biggest thing this adds is retinues, or standing armies. If that is important to you, then I would move this DLC above Republic
5. Sunset Invasion - If fighting the Mongol Horde is one of your favorite parts of the game, you will like this DLC. Basically, it is a western version of the Mongol invasion. I'm not a fan of the ahistoric scenarios, so I don't like this one at all. I tried it once, then it's never been touched since.

I don't have Sons of Abraham or Rajas of India (yet) so I can't comment on those.

As far as the fluff DLC's, I like the portrait packs to add more variation in your characters. And I like the music packs as well, because they add a nice atmosphere while playing. You can usually get these pretty cheap. I usually only get the sprite ones if they are on sale for a ridiculous price, or a bundled price.
Umbrella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #637
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. Roommate works from home and she's very Steam literate, so it's not a big deal
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #638
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
If you can only get one, I personally would rank them as follows:...

Thanks for the rundown. Ended up grabbing everything except Sunset Invasion (b/c of the ahistory), though I discovered I already owned Sword of Islam. Hope I get a chance to pick the game up again before too long.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #639
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone else have any trouble with the tutorials? I've had a couple now get to a certain point and then just hang. The warfare one (I think?) asked me to click on an icon that was grey and unavailable, and the one that described marriages seemed to think my wife was deceased when in fact she was alive and well, and was asking me to click on an icon that didn't seem to exist under her portrait. Both times I was unable to advance the tutorial past the part I was at and had to exit to the menu.

I haven't given this a lot of time or effort yet, just something I noticed in my brief dip into the game last night.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #640
Peregrine
Pro Starter

So far Rajas seems interesting but I have to admit the plethora of Indian names, both character, country, and religious faction wise may do me in.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #641
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The Old Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Thanks! Can't beat the price right now.

I'm an expansion or two behind, but this is my favorite so far.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #642
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Anyone else have any trouble with the tutorials? I've had a couple now get to a certain point and then just hang. The warfare one (I think?) asked me to click on an icon that was grey and unavailable, and the one that described marriages seemed to think my wife was deceased when in fact she was alive and well, and was asking me to click on an icon that didn't seem to exist under her portrait. Both times I was unable to advance the tutorial past the part I was at and had to exit to the menu.

I haven't given this a lot of time or effort yet, just something I noticed in my brief dip into the game last night.

Its been awhile since I did the tutorials, but I seem to remember at least one where I couldn't finish it up either. if you need more info/help I'd recommend one of the let's play videos on You Tube as the player usually tells you why he is doing something, not just how.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #643
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, this patch seems to have introduced a lot of bugs. Was playing a quick game as Nubia but I couldn't appoint Court Chaplains at all even when I had several courtiers with theological education. And when I invited a priest via intrigue screen, I lost the piety but they never showed up.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #644
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Man, this patch seems to have introduced a lot of bugs. Was playing a quick game as Nubia but I couldn't appoint Court Chaplains at all even when I had several courtiers with theological education. And when I invited a priest via intrigue screen, I lost the piety but they never showed up.

What religion is Nubia? West African? If I remember correctly, there are some conditions required. Double check that their religions match yours. I ran into this in a game a while back, but I don't remember what the solution was. Bottom line, I don't think it is a bug.

Also, when you invite a priest, I believe you are just inviting a noble with a high learning skill, and perhaps the correct education.

Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, and could be 100% wrong in everything I just said.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #645
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Dola, to fix it, make sure that whoever you want to be your chaplain is the ruler of a temple. I'm pretty sure that was the solution.

The invite priest thing does indeed look like a bug.

Last edited by Umbrella : 03-31-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #646
korme
Go Reds

Silly question, but if I am playing as King Edward III and I have a son, do I name him Edward or Edward IV? Will the game take care of the numerals for me?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #647
sabotai
General Manager

It takes care of the numerals for you. They get their number after they become king.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-12-2014 at 01:48 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #648
bhlloy
Coordinator

I finally achieved my goal with CK2 - went from a single county Welsh count to form the Empire of Britain. Steam says I've played 166 hours but it must have lost track or been uninstalled at some point because it's way, way more than that.

Spoilering for size, but I couldn't resist.
Spoiler
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #649
britrock88
Pro Starter

Who's nibbling at London, there?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #650
bhlloy
Coordinator

Navarra - after I usurped England about 20 years before the screenshot the Queen reverted to Navarra which was another one of her titles. I've been slowly eating away at their holdings and now they just have two left.