Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #151
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I love putting teams like that in their place. WAY TO GO SENATOR! I hope to see you move way up in the coach's poll

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 10-26-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #152
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Game Results

10/25/2008 F Cowboys*6* Colts*0
10/25/2008 F Saints*20* Red Raiders*14
10/25/2008 F Yellow Jackets*27* Broncos*7
10/25/2008 F Panthers*14* Hurricanes*6
10/25/2008 F Raiders*41* Desperados*0
10/25/2008 F Hornets*13* Chargers*0
10/25/2008 F Longhorns*41* Steelers*0
10/25/2008 F Indians*14* Killer Frogs*0
10/25/2008 F Hawkeyes*12* Scorpions*0
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #153
Senator

New Standings: (we moved but we have lots of work to do)

Code:
Offense Defense Rankings Week 5 1 Jackets (162) Raiders (12) 1. Jackets (5-0) 2 Raiders (120) Longhorns (12) 2. Hornets (5-0) 3 Hornets (113) Colts (13) 3. Raiders (4-1) 4 Longhorns (99) Hornets (27) 4. Saints (4-1) 5 Saints (86) Rraiders (32) 5. Cowboys (4-1) 6 Cowboys (77) Frogs (34) 6. Colts (4-1) 7 Colts (70) Jackets (37) 7. Longhorns (4-1) 8 Hawkeyes (63) Cowboys (43) 8. Indians (4-1) 9 Indians (60) Saints (46) 9. Red Raiders (3-2) 10 Frogs (52) Indians (47) 10. Frogs (3-2) 11 Rraiders (48) Hawkeyes (52) 11. Hawkeyes (2-3) 12 Panthers (32) Chargers (58) 12. Panthers (2-3) 13 Hurricanes (26) Scorpions (61) 13. Chargers (1-4) 14 Desper(24) Panthers (63) 14. Hurricanes (0-5) 15 Broncos (21) Hurricanes (80) 15. Broncos (0-5) 16 Chargers (20) Broncos (105) 16. Scorpions (0-5) 17 Steelers (7) Despera (162) 17. Despera (0-5) 18 Scorpions(0) Steelers (196) 18.Steelers (0-5)
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #154
Senator

Week 5:

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incredibly sweet. Nicely done Coach.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #156
Senator

Last night we had another practice of fundamentals. I think my Tuesday night practices are going to continue to focus on the 2 elements of tackling and blocking.

Ryan was not there, and Tyler is back from his LSU trip but is limping from his foot injury. I told him I am keeping him out until the game on Saturday but he can work on snaps with Richards and do offensive walk through's.

The Killer Frogs have a good team, with a strange offense, (I should talk). They have 2 split guys and 2 wing guys, the QB in shotgun with a running back next to him. Our defensive ends are uncovered, (if you don't count the wing backs as true line blockers, so I like our odds there.

The guys are hitting better, but Ryan, Austin, Wil, Tre, and Clayton all are still struggling despite hours of work with them. We will continue to make baby steps, but I can't help but feel the pressure that comes with the realization we could be playing for the Championship at the elite bracket. My mind is on the Frogs. We will have to show up.

Thursday we will work on our offensive game plan, (grind, grind, grind, score) and show the defense what to expect. Our corners and linebackers have to help Jack and Brenton this week more than last.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #157
Senator

Thursday was a practice on some new plays I am putting in. 38 Buck wedge, 15 Power, T-47 Sweep, Mouse 16 Power, Mouse 47 Sweep, Hitch and Go Pass, Hot TE Pass.

As you can see, I saw some things that should open up to us tomorrow morning at 10am. I need these for playoff ball, and would like to use them, but a big part of me wants to stick to the formula. (grind, grind, grind, score). I still would like Brenton to have the ball 15 times.

Tyler did not suit up Thursday, but he went through our plays and looked really fast. His grandparents are coming into town, he feels upset we won without him, and is itching to prove something. I hope he does.

I will confess to feeling some pressure now, but I really try and not show it to anyone. I just find myself with upset stomach alot, and unable to sleep. As in now.

I don't know, the team we face tomorrow looks very Panther like to me. Unless we lay an egg, we should be ok. I just worry about Halloween being tonight and the boys showing up at 9am looking like they just got home. Maybe I worry too much.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #158
Senator

I didn't worry too much. The kids were flat. We fumbled at their one yard line going in for a score right before half. We only had the ball for 4 series, and when we did finally score, we didn't block very good to get the extra point. We lost 7-6, and we get dumped out of the top elite bracket, as well we should. We are 4-2.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #159
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you win the second bracket.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #160
Senator

Both undefeated teams lost today. The Yellow Jackets 3 year undefeated streak ends to the Longhorns, and the Hornets lose to the lowly Panthers. Things are really muddled up now. 3 of the top 4 teams, including us, all lost. Must be something in the water.

Last edited by Senator : 11-01-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The kids were flat.

I had a bad feeling I was going to see that word when I clicked on the thread tonight. It seemed like one of those situations where that might happen, and if it's tough to avoid with D1 players I can only imagine how hard it would be to prevent at this age.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #162
Senator

Ok, so I went from the highest high two weeks ago, to the lowest low this past Saturday. Still stings to miss an opportunity like that. With 18 teams, we were in charge and had jumped the highest hurdle. It is hard to get kids to see it that way, though.

So, we have the 5-1 Saints this week. Our brutal schedule continues. We have, easily, the hardest schedule in the league. I don't know how I get lucky like that every season, but it just happens that way. If we can somehow pull out a victory the next 2 weeks, this schedule works to our advantage in any tie-breaker scenario.

The Saints are very salty. They have the biggest team, not the fastest, but the biggest team, and they are physical. They have Mock, whom I consider the second best running back in the league behind McKentire. So, if we try that arm tackling stuff this week, we will get more of the same as last Saturday.

I have only put up 6 points the past 2 weeks. I need to get more out of my offense, and I hope this week, I can.

Last night we practiced under the lights of the field with every other team. We blocked off 20 yards for each team and half the field. It wasn't much to work with, but we blocked and tackled, tackled and blocked. Tomorrow night, I work on offense, and the boys will run through the holes I call or they won't run again.

In my game summary I send out, I have had comments it was heavy handed. I try to write from the vantage point of a reporter, but it was too brutal. Lesson learned, these are 10 year olds, not pros.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #163
Senator

Code:
Offense Defense Rankings Week 6 1 Jackets (174) Raiders (18) 1. Raiders (5-1) 2 Raiders (134) Colts (19) 2. Longhorns (5-1) 3 Hornets (125) Longhorns (24) 3. Jackets (5-1) 4 Longhorns (113) Frogs (40) 4. Colts (5-1) 5 Saints (112) Hornets (45) 5. Saints (5-1) 6 Colts (89) Rraiders (46) 6. Hornets (5-1) 7 Cowboys (83) Cowboys (50) 7. Indians (5-1) 8 Indians (72) Jackets (51) 8. Frogs (4-2) 9 Hawkeyes (71) Saints (52) 9. Cowboys (4-2) 10 Frogs (59) Indians (55) 10. RRaiders (3-3) 11 Rraiders (54) Scorpions (61) 11. Panthers (3-3) 12 Panthers (50) Hawkeyes (64) 12. Hawkeyes (2-4) 13 Desp (42) Panthers (75) 13. Chargers (1-5) 14 Hurricanes (32) Chargers (76) 14. Scorpions (1-5) 15 Broncos (27) Canes (106) 15. Desp (1-5) 16 Chargers (20) Broncos (124) 16. Broncos (0-6) 17 Scorpions (20) Desp (162) 17. Hurricanes (0-6) 18 Steelers (7) Steelers (216) 18. Steelers (0-6)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #164
Senator

Not sure anyone is reading anymore, but I thought I would finish this out. Practice tonight was almost 2 hours scrimmaging the Yellow Jackets. It went ok, I think it was good to hit instead of 2 hours of doing air drills.

Tyler our QB and CB is hurt once again. Same foot. I doubt he will play. If he doesn't play this game, I am sitting him out the last game and maybe the playoffs will be ok for him. Wait until his dad hears I only get 4 All-Stars and he won't be one. I can't make him an All-Star when he will miss 3 games out of 8. Sorry.

I don't like our chances Saturday, but the Killer Frog game sealed our fate anyway. We are just playing out the season and see where we land - Bracket B or C.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #165
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Still reading. I hope you gain some good momentum going into the playoffs since it really seems like you could win either the B or C brackets. A bummer about Tyler being hurt -- AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yep, still here, regular as clockwork (give or take a day or two).
Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #167
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Don't be so down. 4-2 is far better than what you expected at one point. With the schedule you've had (like I layed out with mine), success isn't necessarily spelled out in wins.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #168
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Still here as well, Coach, and enjoying the ride.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #169
Rawhide
High School Varsity

I'm still reading too. Keep up the good work.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #170
primelord
Pro Rookie

FWIW you are picking up readers. I just found this thread last night and am completely hooked. Good luck tomorrow!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #171
Senator

Not that I am expecting replies or anything, but I didn't know how interesting this would be once we laid the egg.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #172
Poli
FOFC Survivor

When's gametime?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #173
Senator

We play at 3:30 CST.

I had a long talk with my DC this morning. He was brutal with them on Tuesday and I was on Thursday. Look, if I was coaching for a paycheck or these were older kids, I think I might justify it more, but not this. I was so unhappy with myself because I never do that. Compared to other coaches I am considered a Dungy type, and that is considered weak. I just don't think so. These kids love football when they leave my team, and I get emails from them all the time after they leave. I know I am doing the right thing. I just thought this team was about to shock me and run the table after we beat a juggernaut, and then we turn around and lose to someone less than us. Part of the gig.

Well, tomorrow we face the Saints (5-1) and the impressive Mr. Mock.

Last edited by Senator : 11-07-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #174
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Funny, Mock is the name of perhaps the best kid in our 9/10 yr old league...and would be on my team next season if I joined the Tiger staff.

Mock is also an infamous name on my first ship. The then MA1 (meaning he was a master-at-arms, first class) Mock He turned in 5 senior enlisted members for hazing and they were quickly reprimanded and transferred. He was also on my flag football team that I organized for our ship.

Ironically, I ran into him in Africa in 2006 and watched the Tennessee-Alabama game in his office. He in now a junior officer.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #175
Senator

My Mr. Mock likes to run over 10 year olds who arm tackle.

I think I like your Mock better.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #176
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Our Mock had the best combine scores according to my rankings on the first day on combine. I then realized I had set the course too long...I had measured out the 10/20 yard marks off by more than a yard or two.

Most of the boys returned on the 2nd day and had better times, although he was absent.

His score on the 1st day was still better than anyone on the 2nd day.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #177
Senator

Mock rolled us. He had 4 long touchdowns running at our corners. We lost 25-12. We went from 4-1 and A bracket to 4-3 and B or C bracket.

Our defense is atrocious at the edges.

We scored on our first 2 offensive plays to Brenton. One a 55 yard TD and then a 65 yard TD. After that, we played flat and without much heart.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #178
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Keep your head up coach.

"Greatness consists not of never falling, but of always getting up again"
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #179
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Keep pushing forward. I know losses can make it tough, but you have nothing to be ashamed about.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #180
Senator

We had a rain out on Monday, and last night we scrimmaged the Yellow Jackets. We moved Derek to defensive end and Brenton to linebacker.

Playing the Chargers, and we need to make a strong statement. If we can win, we will be 5-3 and will land either at the bottom of the B bracket against some really tough teams, or at the top of the C bracket where we are the best team. I am not really sure what I would prefer. I argue back and forth.

Code:
Offense Defense Rankings Jackets (210) Raiders (18) 1. Raiders (6-1) Hornets (156) Longhorns (31) 2. Longhorns (6-1) Riaders (152) Colts (37) 3. Jackets (6-1) Longhorns (139) Hornets (52) 4. Hornets (6-1) Saints (137) Frogs (53) 5. Saints (6-1) Cowboys (95) Jackets (57) 6. Colts (5-2) Colts (89) Scorpions (61) 7. Indians (5-2) Indians (79) Saints (64) 8. Frogs (4-3) Hawkeyes (77) Hawkeyes (64) 9. Cowboys (4-3) Frogs (65) Rraiders (72) 10. Panthers (4-3) Panthers (63) Cowboys (75) 11. Rraiders (3-4) Rraiders (61) Panthers (81) 12. Hawkeyes (3-4) Broncos (53) Indians (86) 13. Scorpions (2-5) Scorpions (50) Chargers (102) 14. Broncos (1-6) Desp (42) Canes (112) 15. Chargers (1-6) Hurricanes (32) Broncos (130) 16. Desp (1-6) Chargers (26) Desp (192) 17. Hurricanes (0-7) Steelers (13) Steelers (252) 18. Steelers (0-8)

Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #181
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I feel for ya. We were the top team in the 3rd bracket, yet we still had some tough teams in it. However, had SCAC 2 (our first playoff victim) managed to beat SCAC 1 (our first regular season victim) in that final regular season game, we would have been the bottom seed in the 2nd bracket.

What I wanted? I changed my mind hourly.

In that scenario, I'd like to believe we come out and beat the White Hawks for some revenge and then beat whatever Hawk team survived after that to win the second bracket's Super Bowl. Honestly, though, I believe that are kids might have been shell shocked from the last time we faced them and may not put forth their best effort.

I'm happy with how it turned out, and I'm sure you will be as well, no matter the outcome. Good luck today!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #182
Senator

We won 18-6 in a game marred by big Jack (#24) possibly breaking his leg on the last play of the game. He is at the hospital now, there was not room for me to ride with them. I will know more later.

With the win we are in the second bracket (B Bracket). There are 5 brackets, so our 5-3 record makes us a pretty good team.

Without Jack we are in trouble, obviously, and we drew the #2 Colts as our opponent. So be it.

Last edited by Senator : 11-15-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #183
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm sorry to hear about Jack. I hope he's okay.

Good luck in the playoffs!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #184
Barkeep49
Coordinator

A kid broke his leg during a baseball game this year and I can still recall his screams. I hope Jack's OK. Congrats on the strong season.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #185
Senator

What a relief. It came out as a deep thigh bruise. His leg is black at the thigh, and has a distinct helmet imprint on it.

What a relief. It was the last play of the game, I should of had him out, we were winning, and I saw him go down. I have never done this before, but I sprinted out there like someone shot me out of a cannon. He was screaming, and this kid does not scream, like I have never heard. It took us about 20 minutes it seemed to get the Gator to haul him off the field. It was bad.

The coach I play in the playoffs was sitting over there smirking like he won the lottery or something. I know it was nothing personal, but it made me furious.

Now, the Colts will see us practicing without Jack (I am going to rest him) and get fired up. When I bring him out the last practice before the game, that should deflate them a little.

Thank God. He is such a great kid, and all the other kids worship him. They were crying and everything and we had just won a big win, and could not celebrate. This is very good news.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #186
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great news, especially considering how bad a femur break can be. I have dealt with 2 of them over the years and they are scary.

Having him back should give your boys a lift too...Good luck in the playoffs!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whew. 'Grats on the win, even more on the good medical news.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #188
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Very good news. I'm glad to hear it! Good luck this week!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #189
Senator

Practice last night was cold, but the kids (who were there) really did well in our drills. Come what may, I can see a HUGE improvement in the fundamentals from where we started. We have done our job.

I did get calls from:

Wil: "Coach, I won't be at practice all week, and I won't be at the game Saturday because I am going out of town."

Austin's mom: "I am going to rest Austin so he will be ready for the game on Saturday, so he won't be at practice."

Ryan's mom: "Ryan is sick. I know he misses one practice a week, but what can I do?"

Payton's mom: "A seventh grader threw him down on his head and he has a headache, so he can't practice."

Jack's mom: "Let's hold Jack out of this practice, and give him some time to heal from his injury." (I agreed)

So, it was a small practice but we had some key people there, especially Tyler who has missed all or part of the last 4 games. He had 5 touchdowns in 4 games so it is good getting him back, and he looked pretty sharp. We worked on open field tackling and I was pleased at the intensity.

We have one more practice on Wed., then our game at 1:30 on Saturday. Win - go to the Super Bowl - lose - Go Home.
What a challenge, I am looking forward to the battle. The last one lived up to all expectations.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #190
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

I like Payton's excuse the best...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #191
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My fav on my team was Nolan, who showed up for practice one evening with a great excuse.

"Coach, I'm going to Six Flags tomorrow, so I have to conserve my energy."
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #192
Senator

I just submitted the players to the All-Pro team. Needless to say, I never win in these situations.

Jack - 8 games - 97 tackles (both solo and assist) and 11.5 sacks. Wow.
Brenton - 8 games - 900 yards and 11 touchdowns
Andrew - did not allow a tackle from his Offensive tackle spot all season
Reegan - 64 tackles

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #193
Senator

I just bought plaques for my 2 team moms, my 2 water coaches, my min play coach, my 2 assistant coaches, and a leadership award for one player. I am closing in on a 1500 dollar season.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #194
BYU 14
Coordinator

The excuses never go away. My favorite from this year was the epidemic of pillow injuries we had one Saturday. (Saturday was one of our two full contact practices coincidentally) I can't remember anything like this happening on Tuesday when we did our walkthrough.

Here's how it went...

1st Player "Coach, my neck is stiff, I don't think I can go"
Me "What happened"
1st Player "I slept on my pillow wrong"
Me "OK, but I can't start you Wednesday"
1st Player "I will give it a shot"
(I did hold him out of heavy contact, during drills and quick whistled him during team O, just funny there was a sudden improvement)

2 minutes later
Player 2 "Coach I think I slept funny last night"
Me "Let me guess, your neck is stiff"
Player 2 "Yes Sir"
Me "Did you sleep on the same pillow as player1?"
Player 2 "I don't think so sir, what kind of pillow does he have"
Me (rolls eyes) (I swear this was the exact exchange)

Right after a THIRD player walks up massaging his neck.
Me "If you tell me you slept wrong and can't practice you'll hold water bottles Wednesday"
Player 3 "I guess I can practice"

Before you all think...Gee what a dick, these guys are all friends and I think they came up with this brilliant idea to jake it, since Saturday practices were always brutal. This way they could shuttle water in and out of practice and BS.

I did hold all of them from heavy contact just to be safe, but at the end of practice I snuck up behind the one who said he couldn't turn his head and startled him.....His head jerked around like it was on a swivel, LOL.

He said practicing must have loosened it up.

Like I said, the excuses never go away
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #195
Senator

Funny stuff BYU14. I can see those guys plotting the perfect crime.

Tonight was perhaps our last practice, unless we win on Saturday. I had the assistant coach in my ear about not picking his son for the All Star Pro Bowl Game. God, what a horrible part of the job. Then another parent grilled me. Then, another. Finally, I gathered them all around, said my piece, and went about my business. It is way more important to the dads than the kids.

Gametime 1:30 on Saturday.

The Colts coach is telling all the other coaches he has my number and should handle us pretty easy.

He might. But, he might not.

Last edited by Senator : 11-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #196
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Picking an 'all star' team in our four team association would be tough enough (and Frank did a very lousy job of that), picking an all star team out of the 19 teams would be insane.

League wide, Ray would certainly make it, though he'd probably only be on the defensive side. I'd like to think Layne would, but I doubt it. Carlos and possibly Nick C would have made the team defensively as well.

Association wise...Carlos, Bryce, Ashanti, and Ray are on this select squad...though Nathaniel, JD, Nick C, and Layne were all approached. Ashanti being on it tells you in part that this is a sham.

Last edited by Poli : 11-20-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #197
Senator

Ok, here we go. Game Time!!

Going to be a good one, I hope we are on the winning end.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Go get 'em Coach.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #199
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #200
Senator

Lost 21-20 with 1 second left on the clock. Our defense ran out of gas.

It was a fun season, and most of our team comes back as 10 year olds. We should be pretty good.