Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

FM 06: Peterborough United - Return of The Posh

Some of you may remember my first foray into the stiff waters of Peterborough United football. I was able, after 8 years, to guide tiny little Peterborough United to world fame, ultimately winning the English Premier League twice, the Carling Cup and the FA Cup once, and in my crowning achievement, winning the UEFA Champions League in my final game as boss, before retiring into the glorious sunset.

But in real life, things haven't been nearly as kind to Peterborough United. A quick glance at their history shows a team that has never achieved much, and has been in turmoil. Former long-time manager Barry Fry was widely reviled by many fans, but ended calls for his ouster by simply buying the team. In the midst of the controversy, Peterborough slipped down to the lowest rung in English League football, League 2 (formerly Division 3)... and remains perched precariously close to the brink of becoming a non-league entity, despite having a 15,000+ capacity stadium in a fairly affluent east-central English town.

So, it's time once again to crack my knuckles, roll up my sleeves, and guide Peterborough United back to respect... and hopefully beyond.

This dynasty will focus less on the games themselves, and more on the behind-the-scenes action... roster movements, tactics, that sort of thing. I am using team data that is updated through January, 2006... but names of these bottom-feeders probably won't resonate with you anyway... at least, not yet.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

My alter ego, guiding the club out of dire straits, is Butter O'Sixty-Nine. He's Irish, but shares my birthday and passion for Posh football.

I am announced as new manager just prior to the start of the new season by Chairman Barry Fry. The media believe Peterborough to have the players to contend for the League Two title, but are also skeptical of my qualifications to guide them there. I have been put on a one-year contract worth $40k... and have been handed a transfer budget of $50k, along with a wage budget of around $1.7M.

Club finances

I open up the books only to notice them awash in red. We are $365,000 in the hole, and owe another $45k per month to the bank through the end of July, 2006. We are currently nearly $100k over our desired wage budget of $1.7 million. So, you know what that means... time to check the roster, and see who we can part with... and check for cheap talent to bring in.

Squad

Not a long summary is required here, because we have 22 players on the roster, including 2 on the reserve team (mostly filled out with drones), and 1 player away on loan at League One Swindon Town.... but who may need to be recalled.

Goalkeepers

1.Mark Tyler - 28, $160k wage, $120k value
2.Lee Harrison - 33, $50k, $6k
Reserve Luke McShane - 19, $30k, $4k

Tyler is the clear starter here. He possesses a good set of physical attributes, and is adept at handling, rushing at defenders, and using his reflexes to make saves. He is substandard at most else though, but this is the level of talent in League Two. If we can find a decent enough replacement, Tyler may be one of the first to go, despite having been with The Posh his entire professional career (dating back to his 17th birthday). Lee Harrison excels more at the mental aspects of goalkeeping, including being superb at positioning... but his physical skills are sub-par. He played in the Championship for a few years at Fulham and Charlton Athletic in the early 1990's... and is a new player to us, coming over from Leyton Orient on a free transfer this summer. Luke McShane is raw, and won't see action unless there is an emergency.

Defenders

-SW/DC Phil Bolland - 28, $55k, $24k
-DR Dean Holden - 25, $120k, $28k
-DRC Sean St. Ledger - 20, $75k, $30k
-DR/DM/MRC Paul Carden - 26, $50k, $22k
-DC Mark Arber - 27, $120k, $50k
-DC Chris Plummer - 28, $90k, $12k
-D/WB-R/AMR Adam Newton - 24, $160k, $40k
-D-WB-ML Peter Kennedy - 31, $200k, $18k
-D/M-C Shane Huke - 19, $35k, $9k - broken foot, begins season out for 3 months
-WB/M-L Jamie Day - 19, $30k, $14k

Best man markers: St. Ledger, Kennedy, Holden, Arber
Fastest: Newton, Bolland, Holden, Plummer
Best at heading: Holden, St. Ledger, Arber, Plummer
Best at positioning: St. Ledger, Newton, Holden, Kennedy, Carden

St. Ledger, Holden, and Kennedy look to be our main 3.... while Plummer and Arber look more than passable. Bolland and Carden will probably be mostly backups. Huke's skills are better suited for midfield play, while Day is a reserve who won't see much field time. The big question will be, should I play a flat-back 4, or get fancy with a 5-3-2, pushing our wing-backs forward. Kennedy, Newton, and Carden all look well-suited to attack from the back. Most likely, I'll stick with a 4 man back. Problem with Kennedy is, he's probably our best midfielder, so will probably play up there more than back here. Our main problem is Kennedy is the only player specialized on the left of defense, so he may find himself back here a good bit.

Midfielders

-Paul Carden
-Adam Newton
-Peter Kennedy
-Shane Huke
-MLC Peter Gain - 28, $160k, $50k
-MC Andre Boucaud - 20, $50k, $50k
-MC Adam Fry - 20, $60k, $22k
-AMR Ryan Semple - 20, $50k, $24k
-AML David Farrell - 33, $80k, $26k
-AM/F-C Danny Crow - 19, $40k, $14k
-AM-R/L, ST Trevor Benjamin - 26, $90k, $70k

Best passers: Kennedy, Gain, Benjamin
Best dribblers: Newton, Farrell, Benjamin
Best creativity: Kennedy, Gain, Crow, Boucaud
Flair: Crow, Boucaud, Farrell

It's fairly clear to me that Kennedy and Benjamin are our 2 best midfielders. Problem is, Benjamin is loaned out right now, for all season. I can recall him, and may well have to do so if injuries or league performance require it. But he is a good player whose talents are best tested at higher levels of competition. Likely our starting midfield will consist of Kennedy, Boucaud, Gain, and Newton. Crow is a flashy youngster, but needs seasoning. Fry and Semple look unremarkable on paper, while Farrell still has a bit of use left.

Strikers

-Danny Crow
-Trevor Benjamin
-James Quinn - 30, $90k, $120k
-Richard Logan - 23, $65k, $20k

Quinn and Logan will start here almost by default, as we only have 3 healthy forwards/strikers on the roster. Quinn is a good-looking player, but he is 30 years old and not what one would call fleet-of-foot. But he is an above average passer, and can stay on his feet against tough competition. Logan is not as good as his counterpart, but depends on determination and hard work to get open and score. He is strong and fit, but lacks the technique of Quinn. Danny Crow's youthful exuberance and the numbers game will see him start his fair share up front... and we'll probably hit the transfer market hard to try and find a 4th, as Benjamin continues his loan at Swindon.

Likely opening Starting XI:

GK: Mark Tyler
D (L to R): Kennedy, St. Ledger, Arber, Holden
M: Farrell, Boucaud, Gain, Newton
S: Quinn, Logan

But all that may change, depending on what we can pick up on the transfer market.

I smartly assign everyone to a tough pre-season strength and aerobic regimen prior to our first pre-season friendly coming in 6 days.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

I nab my first player in, as 20 year old reserve striker Alex Varney agrees to join us on loan from Charlton Athletic's reserves. Varney will be joining us for the entire season, and we will pay 100% of his $20k per annum wage bill. Varney is less than what I had hoped… but he is a body. High praise, eh?

We fail in a bid for impressive looking young Malawian striker Jimmy Zakazaka. He signs with Rosario Central of Argentina. Zakazaka looked good and cheap too, but we couldn’t quite put together a good enough wage for him.

I decide to pull the trigger, and recall AM/ST Trevor Benjamin from his loan to League One Swindon. He will join the team in a week.

Opening tactics:
We decide to go with a standard counter-attacking 4-4-2 to start… Kennedy and Newton both with long forward runs down the wings to play balls into the box for Logan and Quinn. We play an aggressive high risk/reward offside scheme that requires good communication in the back, and good long passing to the strikers to be effective.

July 16
Friendly #1, v. Leicester (Champ.)

Leicester get off to an early start, scoring twice before the end of the first half-hour. But after that, we actually do a pretty good job of holding the ball, and keeping the Foxes out of our end. In the end, our striker quality is just not good enough, and we lose 2-0 despite holding 55% of the ball for the 90 minutes.

We agree to let reserve keeper Luke McShane leave for $6k on transfer to semi-pro non-league squad Worthing. He didn’t figure in our plans, and frankly wasn’t going to be re-signed after the season.

July 20
Friendly #2, @ Halifax (Conf. Nat’l)

Alex Varney with an impressive debut, scoring in the 6th minute to put us up 1-0 early, then scoring again in the 20th minute after a bad backpass is stolen by Trevor Benjamin. Sandwiched in there is a goal by young Danny Crow. Halifax make it a reasonable 3-1 score at the break. Sadly, Varney is injured early in the 2nd half, and is forced to come out. We hold on for a 3-1 win, despite pretty much going to pieces in the 2nd half.

Luckily for us, Varney’s injury is just a gashed leg, so he won’t miss significant time.

July 23
Friendly #3, v. Queen’s Park Rangers (Champ.)

We dominate QPR in the first half, finally breaking through on a James Quinn goal in the 42nd minute. QPR gets it back shortly after the restart on a 22 yard free kick. They dominate the second half, but we’re able to hold on for a 1-1 draw.

July 27
Friendly #4, v. Ipswich (Champ.)

Trevor Benjamin puts us up early, poaching a mishandled cross by the Ipswich keeper, but Ipswich comes back to level in the 14th minute. 2 minutes later, Andre Boucaud hits a brilliant screaming 30 yard goal curling into the top right corner. Arber with a bad mistake in the 33rd to allow Ipswich a 2nd goal. Arber is benched rating a 4, while Semple and Crow come out with minor injuries. In the 64th, Benjamin scores again off a Kennedy cross. And in the 71st, Benjamin picks up a hat trick off a long ball from Boucaud. We’re able to kill off the rest of the game, and finish a strong 4-2 win.
The team’s morale is sky-high following the win, just where you want it heading into the season. But, we have one more friendly to tackle before entering league play.

If there’s one thing the home friendlies are doing, it’s boosting the team’s coffers. We’ve made over $270k in ticket sales and nearly $50k in concession and merchandise sales off our first 3 friendlies, with one still to go. We’ve also netted over $140k from season ticket sales, and hope to pack the stadium during the season with good play and a high table position. As such, even after adding nearly $100k to the wage budget by bringing Benjamin back from loan early and adding Varney, our debt is holding steady at around $360k.

I set the training regimen for the season, which involves intensive strength conditioning for the defense and strikers, and aerobic conditioning for the midfield. Also, heavy tactics conditioning for the defense and midfield, and of course, heavy shooting and set piece work for the attackers. I also place heavy emphasis on ball control for all 3 positions.

August 1
Friendly #5, v. Crewe Alexandra (Champ.)

I try out Trevor Benjamin on the left wing here, and move Kennedy back to fullback. James Quinn nearly strikes in a free kick in the 15th minute, and then just 3 minutes later, he converts one from nearly the same spot about 20 yards out. Crewe strikes back in the 36th, converting a breakaway against a broken offsides trap. Crewe come back in the 68th and pick up the winner off a poor clearance from Chris Plummer. But overall, we played well, and had a couple chances to equalize. But we couldn’t, and drop a 2-1 decision.

So, we finish up the preseason well, performing better than I expected against teams 2 levels above our own. Hopefully, this bodes well for the regular season, and the tactics I have installed.

Next, it’s on to the regular season.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

So much for a long run in the League Cup, as we draw a road game against QPR. Sure, we drew them at home, but I doubt our ability to hang with them in actual competition, unless they’re resting several players.

We’ll continue to run our basic 4-4-2 counter-attacking style, with Kennedy playing at left back until we can find another left sided defender that’ll let him play up at left wing. Farrell starts out at left wing today, with Benjamin and Quinn our opening day strike force pairing.

Aug. 6, League Match 1, v. Torquay United
Torquay are a League Two regular, who just got relegated back from League One after their first trip there in well over a decade.

A terrible start for us, as central defender Sean St. Ledger is booked twice in the opening quarter hour, and gets sent to the baths. Carden enters for Fry, and we move to a 4-4-1, diamond look. Almost inevitably, the Gulls pounce and beat our trap with some crisp passing, taking a 1-0 halftime lead.

Not willing to sacrifice a chance at victory or a point while risking a 4-0 drubbing, we stick with our counterattacking look in the 2nd half. Luckily for us, poor defense leads to a gilt-edged walk-in for Benjamin, and he converts to make it 1-1. That’s how it ends, as show some nice resiliency in the 2nd half to take a point.

Draw, 1-1, begin in 15th place

Danny Crow picks up a dead leg in the last match… and Sean St. Ledger gets a 1 match ban for his red card.

We finally nick another left back, as 21 year old Andrew Nicholas agrees to join the Posh on loan from League One Swindon Town, where he was playing on the reserve team. We’ll pay 50% of his wages ($80k/yr.) during the 6 month loan. Nicholas is very fast, and looks to be a developing star, with many attributes at 12 (out of 20) and over, including heading and tackling. He will be an immediate defensive help, and will allow us to throw Kennedy into the midfield.

Promotion odds
Our archrivals, Northampton, have been made favorites to gain promotion at 6:4 odds. We’re set as 2nd best, along with Lincoln, Wycombe, and Macclesfield at 7:4.

Aug. 9, Match 2 @ Cheltenham (13th place)
Andrew Nicholas moves straight into the starting lineup at left back, and Benjamin gets a 2nd straight start at striker, as Alex Varney, the young loanee, is having problems keeping fit.

Moving Kennedy up to midfield pays immediate dividends, as he takes a free kick from the left, and drives it straight into the six, where Benjamin heads it in during the 5th minute. Richard Logan makes it 2-0 just 10 minutes later off a long ball from defender Mark Arber. Towards halftime, Arber gives it back, as his backpass to Tyler is stolen and scored to make it 2-1 at the interval.

Kennedy leaves at halftime thanks to a minor injury. New signing Andrew Nicholas is forced to leave early in the 2nd half as well with injury. We survive some nervy moments later (as there always are in a one-goal game), and take the victory.

Win, 2-1, up to 8th place

Leyton Orient and Lincoln sit atop the table, both the only teams to win their first two.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Next up for us, bitter rivals Northampton. The game is made all the more significant by the fact that both of our teams are expected to contend for the title this season.

Luckily, Andrew Nicholas suffered a facial injury that is not believed to be serious, but Nicholas is to be assessed by the Swindon Town staff before we know how long he will be out for sure.

We send our 2 scouts off to England and Scandinavia respectively… Scandinavia has been a wealth of cheap talent over the years, and boy could I use some.

Aug. 13, Match 3 v. #5 Northampton
Alex Varney with his first start for us in this one.

A slow early start, but the game picks up in the 19th, as a Northampton defender is given a straight red for felling Richard Logan on a breakaway. Sadly, it is the Cobblers that score the breakthrough, as Tyler stands rooted to the goal line on a long distance early cross in, and it is headed in behind him. Despite our best efforts, we are unable to pull this one out. The commentary notes that “Peterborough should have won easily!”

Loss, 1-0, drop to 11th

We get a week off, and spend that time trying to shore up the team.

We blow half of our $50k transfer budget, agreeing to a structured $26k deal to sign 19 year old Scunthorpe Reserve D/M-L Marcus Williams. Williams is a fine looking young player, with a 17 for pace, and a 14 rating in each of the 3 key defensive technical attributes (marking/tackling/heading). He needs some work on his technique, but should help us right away. Plus, he signs cheap, commanding just $55k per year for 3 seasons.

Aug. 20, Match 4 @ #15 Nottingham County
In the 18th minute, a Peter Kennedy cross finds Ryan Semple, who is hauled down… but Kennedy misses the ensuing PK. Trevor Benjamin converts his 3rd goal of the season, stealing a backpass and chipping it over the far out of position Notts Co. keeper. Benjamin is a scoring machine so far this season… he has been by far the most successful at striker than at playing either of the wing positions. And in the 54th minute, Benjamin strikes again… Quinn’s cross to the left finds Kennedy, who nods down for Benjamin, and his low 12 yard shot finds the net.

In the 58th, left winger Peter Gain somehow finds himself 5 yards clear just across the midfield line… and when he is pulled down, it’s no surprise that the defender is sent to the showers early. We play keep away the rest of the match, and take home all 3 points.

Win, 2-0, up to 6th place

The board of directors comments on our impressive road win against the Magpies. Sadly, young Danny Crow picks up another injury, this time of the foot variety. It shouldn’t keep him out long, but the lad is looking to be fragile.

We make another good signing, this one designed to give us a boost in mid-season. 20 year old Icelandic central midfielder Palmi Rafn Palmason signs for the Posh on a free transfer. His contract is up on Dec. 31, 2005, and he will come over on that date, signing a 3 year deal worth $110k per. Palmason is a bit raw technically, but is already a skilled passer and very quick. He is also a great student of the game, and an exceptionally hard worker. This should boost our midfield considerably.

Left-sided defender Andrew Nicholas returns to training following his head injury.

Aug. 24, Carling Cup First Round, @ Queen’s Park Rangers (14th in Championship)
Adam Newton with a clumsy challenge in the box, and QPR converts the awarded penalty in the 11th minute to take an early lead. QPR makes it 2-0 on a far too easy goal behind the offside trap. A direct free in the 30th minute makes it 3-0, QPR. Safe to say that Lee Harrison’s first start of the year in goal was an unequivocal disaster, as the goals weren’t finished at Loftus Road.

Loss, 4-0, out of Carling Cup
Old 04-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sorry to butt in. Are you, by any chance running a 4-4-2 Farrow for the squad?

I've found success in running a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond RoT(rule of two) at Home Games, and a 4-2-2-1-1 RoT during Away games, and it's been working wonders for me. I tend to narrow down the field during away games because the damn AI loves to run a lot on their home field. DMs and my running midfielders usually win the games for me, keeping the damn ball out of my side of the turf most of the time.

Currently used it on L2, L1 and the CH leagues. Not sure if it will work any higher than that though.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

No, just a standard 4-4-2 defensive/counter-attacking tactic. I assume the Farrow is a user-created tactic? If so, I've not looked at it before.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Sean St. Ledger, who I had figured as one of my best, if not the best, central defender on the team coming into the season, is languishing with a 5.67 average rating through 3 starts. That’s two 6’s and a 5, for those keeping track. A 5 being a poor performance, and 6 being mediocre. Meanwhile, Mark Arber has been terrific, netting an 8 and a 7 through 2 starts… he may well supplant St. Ledger as a starter if trends continue.

Aug. 27, Match 5 v. #22 Chester
Again, we control play during the first half, but are unable to convert any chances into goals. We get our deserved breakthrough in the 68th, as Peter Kennedy notches his team leading 3rd assist with a great cross into the middle, where midfielder Peter Gain connects with a diving header to give us a 1-0 lead. St. Ledger finally has a decent game, capping it with a great long ball to Benjamin in the 80th… Trevor heads down for Richard Logan, who taps it in to give us the clincher.
Win, 2-0, up to 3rd place

Aug. 29, Match 6 @ #12 Wycombe
A quick turnaround here, with a Monday game following our Saturday victory. In the 17th, Alex Varney catches the keeper way out of goal, and mishandling a pass… he just nips in, steals it, and scores into an open net from 30 yards out for his first Posh score. In the 65th, defender Andrew Johnson sends a 50-50 ball into the box… several players go at it with studs flying… and the referee signals a penalty! Midfielder Andre Boucaud gets studded out of the game, but it is striker Richard Logan drawing the foul to earn the PK. Alex Varney steps up and converts, his 2nd of the game and season. Just minutes later, Wycombe scores on a fantastic volley off a deep cross in. We put it away in the 90th as right-winger Ryan Semple crosses to 2 unmarked men… Varney leaves it for Peter Gain, who connects on his 2nd goal of the season to close out a nice road win.
Win, 3-1, remain 3rd

We close out August with a 4-1-1 league record, bouncing up into 3rd… and with 3 automatic promotion spots out of this league, we’re starting out with some nice form.

As the transfer window comes to a close, we make a few moves to try and shore up the team once and for all, and improve our depth.

First, we loan in Crystal Palace U-18 forward Eero Peltonen from Finland. Peltonen will join us on a full season’s loan, and we’ll pick up his $16k per year salary. Peltonen with deadly finishing and passing skill, and good pace. He needs some help keeping his head in the game, but should be a solid acquisition… plus, if we get promoted there’s a good chance we could afford to buy him outright.

Next up, we nick Rotherham U-18 winger Lee Whittington for $7k + 20% of next sale. Whittington is a cheap young prospect, who looks like he could develop into a good one. He won’t start for us, but he’ll get his shots. He’s only 17, so the future is bright for him.

Third, we’re able to sign Swedish striker Simon Hagman away from his club team for $2k, and a cheap yearly salary. Hagman with a natural first touch, and blazing pace. He needs work with his passing and decision making, but he should be a good young project at age 21.

Finally, we pick up U-18 keeper Mark Cousins from League One Colchester. Cousins commands an $8k transfer fee, plus we’ll owe Colchester 35% of his next transfer fee. But he is a good looking 17 year old keeper, with top notch reflexes, and good command of the box.

We try to sell backup keeper Lee Harrison and striker James Quinn before the transfer deadline to save a bit of cash, but no one is willing to pay our price… so we look ahead to September with a nice, full roster and growing optimism.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

September

A big early-season clash in store for us on this FIFA International weekend that sees 4 of our players away on international duty.

Sept. 3, Match 7 @ #4 Barnet
Barnet are playing well above their heads in this, their first season back in the league structure since 2000/01.

Lee Whittington makes his first start at right wing today, while new acquisitions Lee Cousins and Simon Hagman are on the bench as subs. Former Posh striker Giuliani Grazioli gets the Bees off to a good start, scoring through a Dean Holden challenge in the 19th minute. We bring on both new acquisitions in the 2nd half, but are unable to get anything going against a stifling Barnet defense. We fall in London, and drop from the top 3.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 5th

A reporter approaches me after the game, asking about young Lee Whittington. No real need to single him out, no one played well in this one. I tell him not to judge him by one performance, that I feel he will be a good signing in time. I notice after this, that Whittington now “wants to repay the faith shown in him by the manager” or some such positive comment. Can’t destroy the lad’s fragile ego at 17, now can I?

Sept. 10, Match 8 v. #16 Boston Utd.
New signing Eero Peltonen is part of our strike force today. As if to underscore my positive effect on Whittington, he starts again at right wing, and the first highlight of the game is a brilliantly weighted ball into the box from 45 yards by Whittington for Benjamin… he pounces on it and scores past the Pilgrims’ keeper. 10 minutes later, Eero Peltonen gets a pass, swivels and beats his defender like a rented mule, then curls a classy shot around the keeper and inside the net. Top-quality finishing by the young Finn. We’re never really troubled by Boston Utd., and take a comfortable home win.
Win, 2-0, up to 2nd place

Lincoln City lose to Leyton Orient in a battle of the top 2, and we pass Lincoln into second place for the time being.

Danny Crow returns from injury to full training for the first time in nearly a month.

A positive start through the first month and a half of the season…I can only hope that we can keep it up, and get out of this league after just one season! I really think that we may well have the talent on the roster now to compete at the next level… we’re just one midfielder and defender away from complete domination of League Two.

Now, after that tirade, it must be time for the slump to hit us.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the Posh are still SCUM!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Sept. 17, Match 9 @ #13 Darlington
We start Peltonen a 2nd time up front alongside Benjamin. Peter Gain has also found himself a regular fixture in central midfield, as he is the only midfielder to have scored for the Posh, netting 2 goals in 7 apps so far. Arber and Bolland continue to start for us in central defense, both averaging a 7.4 rating in the league so far.

In the 7th, Arber steals a corner kick, and sends it long to Peltonen… Peltonen is clear behind the defense, and slots it home to the keeper’s right for his 2nd goal in 2 starts. In the 33rd, Gain again shows his goal-scoring prowess, working a quality one-two with Holden, and finishing with a splendid 10 yard left-footed volley to make it 2-0 Posh. Then, just when we’ve packed it in and sent some key players to the bench, Darlington strikes back with 2 goals in 4 minutes (78th and 82nd) to earn a draw. Terrible breakdown at the end of the game… but at least one of the goals should’ve been flagged for offside. Tough two points to lose here.
Draw, 2-2, drop to 3rd

Dean Holden, our starting right back, picks up a groin strain and will be sidelined 2-4 weeks. He joins midfielder Andre Boucaud on the trainer’s table… but Boucaud should be about ready to return in a week or so from his own groin injury.

We pick up a young French free agent on a scouting trip, as 16 year old striker Florian Da Costa signs a youth contract with the Posh. He is raw, but cheap, and could pay off down the road.

One day later, another scouting report gives us another new signing… 18 year old Belgain free agent left winger Luigi Fiore (yes, Belgian) signs a contract with the Posh. He is even rawer than Da Costa, but both will be sent to the reserves.

Sept. 24, Match 10 v. #14 Macclesfield
One player for each side is forced to go off injured within the first ten minutes… our injury is to right back Sean St. Ledger, who was just making his first appearance in several weeks after a bad run of form. A boring first half followed by a goal in the 1st minute of the 2nd half by Macclesfield. We throw everything but the kitchen sink at them, and make a couple of interesting plays from the 70th minute on, but can’t find the equalizer. An embarrassing home loss.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 7th place

Sean St. Ledger has a broken shoulder, and he’ll miss most of a month in rehab.

I notice that among the 8,000 or so teams taking part in the FA Cup’s Qualifying Rounds, there is a team named “Matlock”. One can only hope that Andy Griffith is involved with them somehow.

We sign another Central European free agent, this time it’s 19 year old midfielder David Perisset who signs for cheap to join the reserves. He is a bit lacking physically, but already possesses good technique and sense of team play. We’ll see what happens with the lad.

Sept. 27, Match 11 @ #17 Rochdale
A drab first half until the 39th, when Phil Bolland is dismissed for a professional foul on a Rochdale breakaway. With no center backs on the bench, we switch to an odd 2-3-3-1, and hope for the best. Our defense tries their hearts out, but a poor pass by Tyler opens the door to a 2-on-1, and an easy goal for Rochdale in the 72nd minute that finishes us off. Carden with a poor pass in the 82nd to allow a second goal, then literally off the next kickoff, Boucaud with a giveaway that leads to a third goal… and we’re looking rather bad all of a sudden.
Loss, 3-0, drop to 11th place

Even with the embarrassing loss, we’re still just 4 points out of 2nd, and 3 out of 3rd… a tightly bunched group from 2nd through 15th really.

That finishes off a rather poor September for us… after such a promising start, we’ve hit a bad patch, going 1-1-3.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

October
The draw for the English LDV Vans Trophy is held, a competition for League 1, League 2, and Conference teams. We draw a road game at Rushden & Diamonds for our first game in the competition, which will be on October 18th.

Sadly, at the outset of the month, our financial position is becoming increasingly unstable. My signings have plunged the wage bill around $300k overbudget, and the club’s deficit is now over half a million dollars. We need to start winning, and selling players. Maybe when the transfer window re-opens in January, we’ll be able to get some interest in our players. Getting promoted would help a lot also.

Oct. 1, Match 12 v. #23 Shrewsbury
In the opening minutes, former Posh defender Sagi Burton takes down Trevor Benjamin in the box, and earns us a penalty kick. Mark Arber steps up, and buries it to give us an early lead. It stays that way until late, in the 82nd minute, when Paul Carden sends an early cross in to an unmarked Peter Gain at the back post… and Gain buries his header for his 4th goal of the year, and gives us the insurance goal we need. 2 minutes later, Andre Boucaud buries a nice 15 yarder and makes it a 3 goal margin.
Win, 3-0, up to 6th place

We drop to 9th on the following Saturday, as we have too many players missing for international duty to play our scheduled match… it has been re-set for the last Wednesday of the month. Our next match on the next Tuesday was also re-scheduled due to international call-ups. So, we’ll have 2 games in hand on most of our League Two foes for a couple of weeks, but the price of our in-action is dropping to 11th place.

Oct. 15, Match 13 @ #21 Rushden & Diamonds
In the 16th, Mark Arber handballs in the box… but Tyler steps up and saves the PK. In the 29th, R&D get their breakthrough though, as Tyler can’t handle a close-in shot, giving up an easy tap-in. In the 34th we equalize, as Peter Kennedy finally shows his skill, burying a 30 yard free kick into the top right corner. Just after the break, Peter Gain with a great through ball for Trevor Benjamin… and Benjamin breaks his mini-drought, burying his 6th of the season in 10 starts to put us ahead. R&D put us to the test, but we hold on to take all 3 points.
Win, 2-1, up to 8th

Striker James Quinn goes public with his discontent at being shopped around. So far, we’ve had no takers… but we have indeed been trying to get rid of the striker, who has done absolutely zilch this season.

In an effort to save money, we terminate the loan deals of Andrew Nicholas and Alex Varney, neither of whom have been seeing much field time.

Oct. 18, LDV Vans Trophy South First Round, @ Rushden & Diamonds
This fixture looks familiar. As much as I’d like to win, I need to win in the league… so we start backups mostly today. Rushden gets on the board first, on a soft goal from a weak 15 yard shot. They score again before the first half hour is up, and our scrubs are getting a beating. We don’t allow any more goals, but we play like total crap.
Loss, 2-0, out of LDV Vans Trophy

We pick up $3,900 in prize money for our first round appearance. Whoopty-doo.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

We finally dump some salary, as aging left winger David Farrell agrees to a free transfer to Bristol Rovers. That will rid us of some $80k in salary… but we have more than that coming in on January 1, so I’ll have to keep at it.

Oct. 22, Match 14 v. #4 Mansfield
The best chance either team can come up with is a 25 yard Peter Kennedy free kick that is just barely tipped aside in the 78th minute. Other than that, this was a snoozer.
Draw, 0-0, drop to 9th

Lincoln are now 9 points clear of 2nd place Northampton, and are looking to run away with the championship early. We get our own shot at the Imps in a couple of weeks.

The board has provided a “cash injection” of $160k to help with the club’s running costs… that reduces our deficit to around $450k and gets our official financial standing from “insecure” to “OK”… but we still have some way to go before we can declare ourselves truly solvent.

We get another bad draw, this time in the FA Cup… we do get a much needed home game for the finances, but unfortunately it’s against League One Doncaster Rovers. Doncaster is in the bottom half of the League One table, so we could conceivably have a shot at them. Frankly, a couple of home games in the cup could be just what the bottom line needs, provided we can draw our average of around 3,900 fans.

Keeper Mark Tyler hurts his wrist lifting weights, and will miss his next scheduled start… and possibly 2. That leaves newboy Mark Cousins to man the pipes for us. This should be interesting. And by “interesting”, I mean “potentially disasterous”.

Oct. 26, Match 15 @ #7 Grimsby
Peter Kennedy strikes off a free kick for the second time this year, nailing a 25 yarder to put us ahead after 7 minutes. In the 23rd minute, Grimsby equalize with an easy cross and header in thanks to some poor defense. In the 29th, Grimsby just pick apart our defense, and again score on an easy ball through the box tapped in at the back post. We come out playing hard after the break, and get the equalizer just six minutes into the second half, as Dean Holden finds a wide open Eero Peltonen in front of the keeper, and he settles, shoots, and scores to make it 2-2. Both teams get some possession in and around the area late, but no goals come of it. Cousins with a fairly decent game here, making a late save to keep it level.
Draw, 2-2, up to 8th

Another key match for us to round out the month… and 17 year old Mark Cousins still in goal for us. We switch from an offside trap to a more standard back 4 to try and keep the pressure off the youngster.

Oct. 29, Match 16 @ #5 Leyton Orient
In the 3rd minute, Cousins sends a long ball up the middle that Quinn heads down right onto the run of midfielder Andre Boucaud… and Boucaud finishes confidently to give us an early lead. Then, in the 18th, Quinn and Gain play the one-two, leaving Quinn in by himself on the Orient keeper… and he scores his first of the year to make it 2-0! Sadly, just one minute later Leyton Orient get on the scoresheet as Cousins misplays a cross and allows it to be headed in behind him. It stays that way through halftime, as I implore the team to not let their performance drop. If we could hold on, this would be our biggest win of the season so far. 3 minutes in to the 2nd half, Benjamin plays Logan onside… his shot is stopped, but Quinn picks up the pieces and scores his 2nd of the match! And then in the 87th, Andre Boucaud’s free kick finds Trevor Benjamin in the box, who started at left wing today… he heads it past the keeper for his 7th of the year and puts this one in the books! Our best performance of the season by far, as Trevor Benjamin nets the rare “10” for his performance.
Win, 4-1, up to 2nd place

James Quinn showed his massive value in this last game as a target man… a talent I have not at all utilized this season.

We vault into 2nd place by virtue of our +10 goal difference, just beating out both Grimsby and Northampton, both of whom also have 28 points.

Starting right-back Dean Holden picks up a back strain in training, and will likely miss 3-4 weeks of action. Holden has played very well this season, so this is an important loss.

Chris Plummer, our central defender, finishes 2nd in voting for Player of the Month of October.

We finish up a very strong October, going 3-2-0 with our only loss coming in the Vans Trophy to Rushden.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

November

The board likes what we’re doing, but we continue to hemorrhage cash, losing over $100k in October to drop our deficit to $700k.

Nov. 2, Match 17 v. #13 Carlisle
We burn through our last game-in-hand on the field with this mid-week tilt against Carlisle. In the 18th minute, a defensive misplay allows Benjamin a free shot at an undefended goal from 20 yards, and he buries it. 8 goals in 14 starts now for Jamaican striker Trevor Benjamin. Then, in the 34th, we go a man up as a Carlisle defender is red-carded for being the last man and taking down Eero Peltonen. Then, to make matters worse, Peter Kennedy is able to goad another Carlisle player into a stupid play… as the Carlisle striker kicks Kennedy in the calf and gets his own red card to put us up 2 men for the final 45. We absolutely barrage Carlisle for the final half hour, but don’t come away with any more goals.
Win, 1-0, remain 2nd - 9 points behind 1st place Lincoln, 3 points clear of 3rd place Grimsby

The news now reports after the game that previous game’s man of the match Mark Arber “despite not being one of the team’s top earners, may still find his position under threat should the club’s reported financial crisis worsen.”

Yikes.

Nov. 5, FA Cup First Round v. Doncaster Rovers (10th in League One)
The Rovers get on the board after 11 minutes, with a good cross and a header in behind Cousins. But we equalize in the 16th, as Kennedy’s cross to the back post finds an unmarked Lee Whittington who heads in his first goal in Posh blue. Just 2 minutes later, though, Doncaster re-take the lead on a long range low shot that beats Cousins to the left post. We gradually up our attack until we’re playing a 3-4-1-2 by the end… and in the 90th minute, Peltonen gets free on the Rovers’ keeper… but sends his shot blazing into the stands. A good effort, really, but not enough.
Loss, 2-1, out of FA Cup

We make another roster move, this one in an attempt to shore up our finances in a couple of months. We sign aging 37 year old keeper Jorg Stiel to a player/coach contract worth $55k for the remainder of the season. He will play this year, then retire… then stay on as coach. But Stiel will be our main keeper for the remainder of the season… which allows us to put our top money attraction, GK Mark Tyler, up for sale in January, then sign someone new in the offseason. Stiel has world class skill, so this is a big step up for our defense.

The board is now appearing as “concerned about the club’s financial future”. Uh-oh. I better do something, and fast. We look at our top wage earners, and pretty much offer them all off onto the transfer market or offer them out for loan. Except for Peter Kennedy, that is.

Tyler and Quinn are both increasingly angry at being shopped around. Everyone else is pretty non-committal about it. The press even warns me that I risk having a revolt if I don’t assure Tyler of his place in the club.

Stay tuned….
Old 04-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

We get a couple more days off thanks to more international call-ups… in case you’re wondering, here are the players beholden to international teams:

Peter Kennedy, Ryan Semple, & James Quinn (N. Ireland)
Trevor Benjamin (Jamaica)
Sean St. Ledger (Ireland)
Eero Peltonen (Finland)
Adam Newton (St. Kitts & Nevis)
Andre Boucaud (Trinidad & Tobago)

Nov. 19, Match 18 v. #1 Lincoln City
Eero Peltonen scores after a mad scramble in front ensues off a Benjamin shot that nicks the post. Then, in the 68th we get the insurance goal we seek as Trevor Benjamin steals a poor backpass, then strikes it past the shocked Lincoln keeper to make it 2-0. Marcus Williams picks up a careless red in the 90th minute, so he’ll miss our next match. But a very good win here, as we have made the race for first something more than a foregone conclusion.
Win, 2-0, close to within 6 pts. of 1st place with a game in hand

We actually drew a good crowd of over 4,600 for that last match… each home match is worth about $80k in profit to us, it appears, and coming up is the 4th of 4 consecutive home games which should help us re-gain some cash. Also, the board has given us another “cash injection”, this time to the tune of $325k, which cuts our deficit back under $400k.

Nov. 26, Match 19 v. #10 Stockport
Jorg Stiel with his first start in goal for us in this one. Stockport work a nice one-two, and score an easy goal past a marooned Jorg Stiel to open the scoring in the 38th. In the 61st, a long throw-in bobbles free in the box, and Mark Arber has an uncontested pop from 15 yards… and buries it in the top left corner to even things up. After some player shifts, we move Trevor Benjamin up front mid-game… the move works, as Ryan Semple’s early ball to the near post finds a streaking Benjamin, who scores his 10th of the season in the 82nd minute… and that proves to be the game-winner.
Win, 2-1, remain 6 pts. behind Lincoln
Cash balance: ($291,626)

Trevor Benjamin picks up a thigh strain in the last match, which is a big deal seeing as he’s scored one-third of our league goals this year. He is scheduled to be out for 1-4 weeks.

Nov. 30, Match 20 @ #12 Wrexham
Our goal is under constant assault early on, and their 3rd good chance finds a breakthrough, from an 18 yard screamer into the top right corner, and Wrexham lead 1-0 early. But just 3 minutes later, Richard Logan heads in a cross from Peter Kennedy, and we’re back on level terms. In the 34th, Mark Arber barges over a Wrexham striker, and a PK is given… but Stiel saves it! The 2nd half goes by fairly ploddingly, but in the 79th, Kennedy’s cross for Peltonen is just a bit too high… but Lee Whittington is at the back post to tap it in! Whittington’s first Posh goal is a huge one, extending our league winning streak to 5 matches, and we’re unbeaten in 9.
Win, 2-1, close gap with Lincoln to 3 pts.
Cash balance: ($336,244)

Our November closes 4-0-0 in league, with a loss in the FA Cup our only blemish.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #16
Butter
Coordinator

A fine November ends with me picking up Manager of the Month, and Trevor Benjamin picking up Player of the Month… and Mark Arber finishes 2nd.

December

Dec. 6, Match 21 @ #15 Bristol Rovers
Boring and uneventful first half. In the 63rd minute, Logan crosses to the near post… Whittington and the keeper collide, but there is no whistle, and it leaves Eero Peltonen for the tap-in… his 5th goal of the season puts us in front. Bristol put together several great chances late, and finally get the leveler in the 88th, as Stiel gives up a rebound on a close-in shot.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 5 pts. behind Lincoln, remain 5 pts. ahead of 3rd place
Cash balance: ($559,325)

Dec. 10, Match 22 v. #24 Bury
Bury are buried at the bottom of the table… this is a game we should win with ease. And we start off well, as James Quinn is taken down in the clear… earning the Bury defender an early bath. And I mean very early, the 3rd minute in fact. In the 11th minute, the Bury keeper seems to have a brain freeze, as he’s caught WAY off the line on a routine pass near the box… Quinn turns, and lobs a simple shot into the net for a 1-0 lead. After that, Bury settle down and play a good game… and we’re actually forced to hold on for the win, as Bury nearly equalize a couple of times late.
Win, 1-0, close to within 2 pts. of 1st place Lincoln
Cash balance: ($484,532)

Both Mark Tyler and Richard Logan suffer injuries that will keep them out multiple weeks.

Dec. 17, Match 23 @ #21 Oxford
I tell the team they are playing very disappointingly after a scoreless first 45’. The 2nd half is more of the same, and we take a boring point away from Oxford. A win would’ve put us top… but it’s hard to argue with a 12 match unbeaten streak.
Draw, 0-0, close to within 1 pt. of 1st place Lincoln
Cash balance: ($539,255)

I have given young forward Danny Crow a number of opportunities in the absence of Trevor Benjamin to prove himself… and he has come up with a number of blah performances. I send him down to the reserves for more seasoning, and promote recently acquired Simon Hagman to the senior club. Hagman has 7 goals in 15 starts for the reservists, and has shown marked improvement in training… so he deserves a shot. Plus, if he does well, he may increase his re-sale value.

As the transfer window gets ready to re-open and we prepare to welcome 3 new arrivals… I also must consider who may well be leaving us. Mark Tyler is definitely one big name who may well be out of here. 29 year old defender Chris Plummer has become a fixture in our starting lineup… but as he is wanted by a few other teams and commands a nearly 6-figure salary, he may well be sold also considering his contract is up at year’s end. I’d love to dump useless Adam Newton, who hasn’t played in months… but his salary is $160k, so is not likely to fetch us much. James Quinn is also a candidate for a ticket out of here, as is fellow striker Richard Logan. Whichever of them sells first will be gone, the other kept.

Dec. 26, Match 24 @ #14 Torquay
Striker Simon Hagman with his first career senior start today. For the 2nd straight game, we’re just getting outclassed. We can’t create anything, and are barely withstanding multiple opposition attacks. We miss Trevor Benjamin A LOT. In the 42nd, Sean St. Ledger yields a penalty to Torquay, and they convert it. In the 60th, Torquay with an easy goal as Stiel misses a punch on an early cross, allowing an easy tap-in. Torquay make it 3-0 in 2nd half stoppage time on a direct free kick. All good things must come to an end, and this match is the end of our unbeaten streak.
Loss, 3-0, drop to 4 pts. out of 1st

Dec. 28, Match 25 v. #6 Notts Co.
Trevor Benjamin returns to the lineup today for the first time since late November, when he had just finished scoring 4 goals in 5 matches. Again, we are unable to get anything going in the first half, going to the dressing rooms at zeroes. For the first time all season, I rip the team a new one at halftime, trying to light a fire. And it seems to work, as in the 47th Lee Whittington’s corner kick finds Andre Boucaud, who heads it in powerfully for his 3rd goal of the season. Then, in the 55th, we pick up a PK as soon-to-depart left-winger David Farrell is barged over. Again, it’s Lee Whittington making the play, scoring the PK to put us up two goals. Notts Co. presses everyone up on a corner in the 70th, and Arber’s headed clearance finds Benjamin in the clear… and he picks up where he left off, scoring his 11th of the year. A fine 2nd half performance.
Win, 3-0, close to within 1 pt. of 1st

Mansfield have put together a nice run, and now sit in 3rd with 47 points… we’re 2nd with 48 pts…. and Lincoln are 1st with 49.

2005 comes to a close, and we finish December with another nice league record… 2-2-1. The year ends, and we’re in excellent position to gain promotion… provided we can avoid a SERIOUS financial crisis.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

January, 2006

We begin the New Year with a balance of -$571,362. We have lost over $200k so far this season.

We do welcome in 3 new signings, and say goodbye to one.

Bristol Rovers sign former Posh midfielder David Farrell to a contract through year’s end. Farrell’s $90k per year wage bill is easy to part with, as is his mere 6 appearances with a 6.83 average rating. He had just 1 assist in his playing time… but had been with us since 1997.

First new signing is 20 year old Belgian DRC David Van Den Broeck who moves over after a $4k payment to his club team. His salary is hefty, at $160k per year… but he instantly becomes our finest center back, with a heading rating of 17, a pace of 15, a strength of 16, and positioning rated at 18. He is signed for 3 seasons.

Next is 21 year old Icelandic MC Palmi Rafn Palmason. Palmason is instantly valued at $300k, and his wage is $120k per season. Palmason is another fast player, who has few holes, and should dominate at this level. He can pass, create, and score from central midfield. He is also signed through 2008.

Finally, 18 year old Norwegian GK Morten Bredal-Thorsen signs as a project with the reserves. He’ll command just $8k per year through 2008, but has good potential if he can get his mental house in order.

The new signings plunge us to around $725k in the red. But if they can earn us promotion, it should be worth it.

January 2, Match 26 @ #4 Northampton
Another key clash with bitter rivals Northampton. Palmason and Van Den Broeck both start for us in this one, Van Den Broeck at center back, Palmason at central midfield. Jorg Stiel with 2 massive point blank saves in the 13th minute to keep the sheets clean. But in the 19th, Northampton get the breakthrough, as a missed clearance allows a walk-in, and Stiel can’t stop this one. Van Den Broeck’s first half with the Posh is a nightmare, as he gives a PK in 1st half stoppage time… but Stiel saves our hide again. Could’ve been 4-0 without the confident work of Stiel in the first half. Trevor Benjamin misses 2 glorious chances within the first 5 minutes of half #2. But he redeems himself in the 66th, as he beats the keeper on a nice breakaway and buries a perfect shot. We pick up a much needed point… but get passed by red-hot Mansfield in the process.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 3rd place

A journalist approaches me about Van Den Broeck’s horrific game, but I stay positive and say that he’ll prove eventually to be an excellent signing.

We make a Bosman signing, as 22 year old Austrian GK Markus Probst agrees to a cheap deal with the Posh… he signs for just $35k per season for 3 years… and should definitely be able to be our first-team keeper next season. He has all the necessary goalkeeping attributes (everything except Eccentricity is above an 11 rating), and his physical and mental attributes are solid as well. Great find by the scouts!

Our second Bosman signing is 20 year old Moroccan AMC Rachid Tiberkanine, who will join us for slightly over $100k per season from the Ajax U-21 squad. Tiberkanine is a deadly finisher, with blazing pace and a great head for the game. He should improve our midfield immediately.

We accept offers for both DC Chris Plummer and GK Mark Tyler. The two of them leaving would save us $250k in wages, and net us over $50k in transfer fees. That would pretty much equal the wages of the 2 players we’ve brought in, and hopefully be enough to keep us solvent for the remainder of the season.

January 4, Match 27 v. #10 Cheltenham
Peter Gain finally breaks his scoring drought, heading in his 5th of the year off a Phil Bolland cross in the 28th. Cheltenham pick up the equalizer in the 68th, as Jorg Stiel can’t hold a long distance shot, leading to an easy rebound goal. We switch to a 3-4-3 with about 15 minutes left, getting Benjamin onto the field. The final kick of the ball is a 20+ yard free kick by Andre Boucaud… and it’s just tipped aside to save the game for Cheltenham!
Draw, 1-1, up to 2nd place
Cash balance: ($672,900)

Mark Tyler signs with Championship side Derby for a $45k fee, telling the press he’s “satisfied” to be leaving my company. We save $160k per year on his salary, and also gain a bit towards our mounting debt. I note that the fans are now in “full support” of my management of the team, and the board continues to be pleased with me while remaining concerned about the team’s financial status.

January 7, Match 28 @ #24 Chester
Marcus Williams yields a Chester penalty in the 2nd minute of the match… and the bottom-dwellers convert, taking a shock 1-0 early lead. Williams makes up for it A BIT, by crossing in for Simon Hagman in the 79th, and Hagman converts his first Posh senior goal, levelling the match. Then, with just 2 minutes left, Peter Kennedy’s short pass in the box is shot first-time by Andre Boucaud… the shot takes a deflection and goes in to give us a very late lead, and ultimately the win.
Win, 2-0, remain 3 pts. behind Lincoln
Cash balance: ($628,554)

Sadly for us, Peter Kennedy has broken his arm, and is due to miss 3-5 weeks of action.

I offer both Mark Arber and Chris Plummer around in a further attempt to lower our wage bill. They make over $200k combined, and Arber is currently worth nearly $150k, with Rotherham showing interest in him. I am sure I can cover the center back position with a couple of loaners, even though Arber has by far been our best defender this year. We would still have 3 central defenders on the roster in St. Ledger, Bolland, and Van Den Broeck if these 2 were sold…. With Bolland and Van Den Broeck both seemingly capable of doing the job, while St. Ledger has struggled this year.

3 teams show interest in Arber at our $140k asking price, and 4 in Plummer (who I am offering around on a free transfer).

I make our 3rd Bosman signing, as this time it is 20 year old Rwandan left-winger/forward Honore Kabongo who’ll join the team this summer. Kabongo has a terrific first touch, and is a good passer and scorer, with above average speed. He’ll boost our strike force considerably.

January 14, Match 29 v. #21 Wycombe
A bad backpass finds Eero Peltonen with a wide open goal to shoot at from 25 yards, and he buries his 6th goal of the year. In the 26th, another errant backpass finds Trevor Benjamin nicking in and tapping it past the distraught Wycombe keeper. The first was just a bad pass, the second was a blind backpass without noting the positions of our strikers. We make it 3-0 in the 59th, as Peltonen crosses in for Boucaud, and he heads in his 5th of the year… a terrifically placed header from 12 yards that brushes the inside of the post.
Win, 3-0, remain 3 pts. out of 1st
Cash balance: ($590,886)

That game starts a string of 3 straight home contests through month’s end for us… and hopefully this will signal the end of our financial difficulties, with the sales of Arber and Plummer…. Arber signs with League One Swansea, while Plummer signs with League Two relegation-battlers Shrewsbury. The 2 departures of salary lower our wage bill to only $8,000 over our allowed $1.9 million, while the $140k transfer fee cuts our cash deficit to under $450k.

We make several offers for loan of a number of young center-backs… we get two acceptances, and that is a 3-month loan in of 18 year old DC Mark Hughes, who is currently with Everton’s U-18’s. Also, 18 year old Dutchman Evander Sno agrees to come on for the remainder of the season from Feyenoord’s U-21’s.

January 21, Match 30 v. #13 Barnet
Evander Sno makes his Posh debut in this one. In the 34th, Marcus Williams long centering ball zips across the middle… Whittington then tries to re-center for Benjamin, but the ball ricochets off a Barnet defender and in! Whittington is credited with his 4th goal of the year, and we take the 1-0 lead into halftime. Mark Hughes is also forced into his first Posh action when right-back Dean Holden earns 2 yellows in the 2nd half. Pretty much off the restart of that foul, Barnet are able to equalize, as a shot hits the crossbar, but is headed back in just over the line. Disaster in the 70th minute, as Evander Sno is given a straight red for taking down a streaking into the clear Barnet striker. We’re 2 men down with 20+ minutes to play. Just when I thought we had escaped with a point, Mark Hughes gets caught trying to play his way out of trouble, and Barnet ends up with a 3-on-0 and are easily able to beat Stiel for the game winner in the 2nd minute of 4 extra. Nightmarish game, this one.
Loss, 2-1, remain 3 pts. behind Lincoln for 1st
Cash balance: ($424,652)
Old 05-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Hopefully, the sale of our 2 best central defenders and their subsequent replacement with youth won’t cause a sudden and prolonged slide.

We make another Bosman signing, as this time it’s 28 year old veteran forward Matt Jansen agreeing a transfer from the Premiership Bolton Wanderers’ reserve team. Jansen scored 23 goals in the top flight for Blackburn Rovers in the 2000/01 season after coming over for $8 million from Crystal Palace… but has not been anywhere near that form since, and has made just 5 substitute appearances for Bolton this year, with nothing to show for it. He signs for $170k per season through 2008, and a $60k signing bonus. He is a superb player with a few good years left in him. He is also a left-footed forward, which are hard to find.

January 28, Match 31 v. #19 Darlington
Mark Cousins yields a pretty soft goal right before halftime, allowing a fairly soft 20+ yard shot to nestle into the top corner. We actually had dominated up until then, so I have to hope our form proves to be too much for Darlington in the second half. I gradually up our attack… and finally in the 86th, the equalizer comes, as sub. Richard Logan strikes home a rebound. We apply more pressure late, but it finishes tied.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 5 pts. behind Lincoln

Not a good result there, at home against a far inferior squad in Darlington. We need to pick it up on both sides of the pitch.

We finish January with a poor result, but continue to hang in the top 3 for automatic promotion… so I can’t be too disappointed right now. We finish the month 2-3-1, only 9 points from a possible 18.

We finish the month with a final Bosman signing, as 19 year old Blackburn reserve striker Keith Barker agrees to terms with the Posh. Barker signs for just $14k per season for 2 years… but has great potential, and could be a very important signing. He needs work on his movement with the ball, but his finishing, speed, and work ethic are top notch.

February

We made a profit of over $150k last month, but still sit at a deficit of over $500k. We need some more home games.

Feb. 4, Match 32 @ #13 Macclesfield
Again, we suffer through a lackluster first 45 minutes. Then in the 53rd, Palmason with a great square ball to Gain, who charges into the box and buries it inside the right post. Six minutes later, Semple is pulled down in the box, and Trevor Benjamin converts the PK to give us a two goal cushion. To wrap things up, Andre Boucaud strikes home a direct free kick in the 85th. Young defender Evander Sno is named Man of the Match, his first high quality game for us.
Win, 3-0, remain 5 pts. out of first

The Board of Directors praises me for the job I’m doing after the game, and I note that both they and the fans are “very pleased” with the job I’m doing right now.

Our deficit dips yet again, this time under the $600k mark.

And we make another Bosman signing, this time it’s 28 year old Algerian defender Malek Ait Alia who will join us in July from French League Two squad Laval. Ait Alia possesses a number of impressive attributes, not the least of which is a 20 (max. rating) for heading and strength, and a 19 for jumping. He can play right back, right fullback, center back, and right wing. A good signing at $130k per season for 2 years.

I note that since being demoted to the reserves, forward Danny Crow has hit a nice patch of form, scoring 5 goals in 8 starts.

February 11, Match 33 @ #20 Boston Utd.
Peter Kennedy with his first match back from a broken arm today. P.R. Palmason with a rough start, as he picks up a minor injury early on, then is yellow carded after 8 minutes. We control the first half-hour, but find ourselves down 1-0 after the center of defense parts and allows an easy 10 yard shot to zip past Stiel and into the back of the net. In the 52nd, Eero Peltonen misses a completely open net after a keeper misplay. But just one minute later, Peltonen atones with a wonderful ball to Benjamin, who scores his 15th of the year to tie the match at 1. We spend the last 5 minutes-plus in the Boston Utd. Half… then in the closing seconds, a mental lapse allows a breakaway… David Van Den Broeck with a takedown in the box… he is red-carded and the penalty is given. It’s up to Jorg Stiel to save us a point. The PK taker steps up…. Stiel stares him down…. The kick…. And Stiel saves it!!!!!!
Draw, 1-1, up to 4 pts. behind 1st place Lincoln

We salvage the point on the road draw… but our form lately has been spotty at best. We never come out looking good… the best I can hope for any more is one good half, and it’s usually the second half.

Van Den Broeck will miss a game after the red card.

The board again gives us some more cash, injecting $325k into the coffers that lowers our deficit from near $700k back to around $375k.

Feb. 14, Match 34 v. #11 Rochdale
Sean St. Ledger and Mark Hughes both miss interception attempts, allowing a clean shot on goal for Rochdale, and they convert it for a 1-0 lead after just 3 minutes. Simon Hagman has several good looks at shots through the remainder of the first half, but can’t convert any of them… going inches wide once, and heading another off the post. For the first time this year, I question the team’s passion to win the game. 5 minutes into the 2nd half, Sean St. Ledger with an early cross to the near post… Adam Fry gets his head to it and scores his first of the year to level the match. 3 minutes later, though, Rochdale’s striker bends an incredible shot in past Cousins from 25 yards. Maybe the goal of the year. I consider removing Simon Hagman, but don’t, switching to a 3-4-3. Luckily for me, it works, as Hagman is played clean through… and he finishes past the sprawling keeper for yet another equalizer. 3 minutes later, Hagman picks up a loose ball on the right, then crosses for Richard Logan, who pretty much pulls down his man, and finishes past the stunned keeper… no whistle, and we take a 3-2 lead! We hold on for the tough win. Again, we take one half off, but it doesn’t cost us.
Win, 3-2, remain 4 pts. out of first

Mark Cousins severely twists his ankle in this one, and will miss 3-5 weeks of action.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Feb. 18, Match 35 @ #23 Shrewsbury
Another 0-0 first half. And it also ends 0-0, as we muster just one shot on target for the entire match. A horrible game to watch, but at least we drag another point out of the proceedings. Unfortunately for Shrewsbury, it’s not enough to keep them from falling into last place.
Draw, 0-0, drop to 6 points behind 1st place Lincoln

Keeper Jorg Stiel notes to the press my tirade following the match, noting that I didn’t hold back from telling the players exactly what I thought of them.

Feb. 25, Match 36 v. #16 Grimsby
In the 5th minute, Benjamin and Gain play the one-two, and Benjamin with acres of space inside the box scores easily. Finally, we get an early lead and can make our counter-attack even more effective. Sadly, just after halftime, Mark Hughes makes a mistake, missing a tackle… that allows a clean breakaway and a goal for Grimsby Town. Eero Peltonen gets loose in the box in the 58th… the ball is slide tackled away from him, but Benjamin is in perfect position for an easy tap-in to make it 2-1. In the 71st, Peter Gain with a great ball right onto the spot from 40 yards… Palmason with a half-volley, and he nestles it inside the left post. A dynamic first ever goal for midfielder P.R. Palmason makes it 3-1. Evander Sno then scores an own goal for Grimsby in stoppage time, but we still hold on for the win.
Win, 3-2, close to within 3 points of Lincoln

We sign yet another young striker, as this time it’s 19 year old Middlesbrough Reserve Danny Reed who agrees to a 3 year, $20k per contract with Peterborough. Reed has good finishing skill, and quality mental and physical attributes… he just needs to work on technique a bit more.

From now until the end of the season, all of our games are on Saturdays except for one. So, we should get a bit of a break from having to dip too far down the bench for players due to fatigue.

We sit 5 points clear of 4th place, so if we can keep up the form a bit longer, we should be able to secure automatic promotion.

Carling Cup Final
Tottenham H. 2:1 Crystal Palace (CH)

We finish February 3-2-0, another undefeated league month… and I pick up my second Manager of the Month award this season.

March
Cash balance: ($459,963)

March 4, Match 37 @ #14 Carlisle
Carlisle utterly dominate us through the first half hour, but we survive the onslaught and go into the locker rooms scoreless. Just after halftime, we get a good chance, as Palmason sends Logan through… he has it tackled away, but Quinn is there, and smashes the ball over the keeper’s shoulder and into the goal for a 1-0 lead. We do a good job of clearing our lines, and hold on for all 3 points.
Win, 1-0, remain 3 points behind Lincoln for 1st

We hold a +1 GD lead on Lincoln, so it looks like the title may very well come down to our meeting on April 8th at Sincil Bank Stadium in London against the league leaders.

March 11, Match 38 v. #19 Rushden & Diamonds
Again, we dominate a team for an entire half, but fail to turn that dominance into a lead. We continue to dominate in the second half, and finally in the 59th we turn it into a goal… Semple’s corner finds Hagman’s head, and we’re in front. R&D actually turn in some nice chances late, but we hang on for another tight win.
Win, 1-0, draw to within 1 pt. of 1st

We’re now 10 pts. clear of 4th place and nearly assured of a promotion spot.

Simon Hagman gets sent home with the flu… then Eero Peltonen pulls a hammy in practice sprints. So, we’re down to 3 healthy strikers.

March 18, Match 39 @ #5 Mansfield
In the 9th, Jorg Stiel misplays a backpass, and gets the ball stolen and put in for an easy Mansfield goal. We strike back in the 24th, as Palmason strips a player in midfield, then plays Benjamin through the trap… he then makes a classy move around the keeper and scores his 18th of the year. Just before the halftime whistle, Trevor Benjamin sends a cross in from the touch line into the center, where Richard Logan heads it in from 8 yards. In the 62nd, Mansfield with a flukey goal, as a series of 3 headers ricochet from the top of the box, and just in past Stiel to level the match. Then, in the 71st, a bad clearance by Carden allows Mansfield an easy chance that Stiel can’t save, and it’s 3-2. In the dying seconds, Peter Gain takes a straight on 20 yard free kick… it hits the wall and deflects inches past the post. Our unbeaten streak is over.
Loss, 3-2, remain 1 pt. behind Lincoln

FA Cup Quarterfinals
Preston 0:3 Newcastle
Middlesbrough 1:2 Arsenal
Chelsea 2:0 Bolton
Reading 2:2 Everton (Reading win replay on PK’s)

March 25, Match 40 v. #8 Wrexham
A poor and boring match all around, as it finishes 0-0. But on the plus side, Lincoln loses and we jump into first for the first time this season.
Draw, 0-0, up to 1st place

Stories begin to surface criticizing the continued selection of Jorg Stiel as first-team keeper, saying that Stiel is over the hill. Maybe so, but he is the best we’ve got since the sale of Mark Tyler.

We sign another reserve player, this time it’s 17 year old Italian central middie Michael Cia agreeing to a 2 year, $9k per deal with the Posh. Cia needs a lot of work… but we’re building our reserves from the ground up essentially, and he is a good looking passer… and not much else.

We finish March 2-1-1, good enough to ascend into first.

April
Cash balance: ($670,445)

You have been offered a 3 year contract at $50k per year by the board.

Due to the club’s perilous financial situation, the board regret that there will be no transfer funds available next season. They are confident that the club’s fortunes will change in the future however and the entire board have every faith in your ability to help turn the club around.

The current wage bill stands at approx. $2M per year which the board consider a healthy level for a club of this size.

I agree to the contract extension.

Adam Newton fails to turn up for reserve training, and I offer him an early contract termination. He is scheduled to make another $160k next season, but is pretty much useless to me… and no one has been willing to sign him on a free transfer. He agrees to early termination for a $95k severance. That would save me about $85k on the face of it, so I agree.

The board is delighted that I have agreed to the contract extension… and midfielder Peter Gain states that he is pleased with it as well.

April 1, Match 41 @ #11 Stockport
Mark Hughes gives up a penalty on a corner in the 4th minute, and Stockport convert to take a quick lead. Stockport with another goal in the 12th, as their striker just hammers a 12 yard tight angle shot past a flailing Stiel. We nearly score a couple of times before the half, but go in trailing by 2. In the 58th, Simon Hagman takes a speculative 25 yarder, and the keeper fails to smother it, allowing it to roll in behind him. That’s Hagman’s 4th of the season. We threaten several other times, and Jorg Stiel plays a great second half to keep us in it, but in the end we can’t come up with the equalizer.
Loss, 2-1, remain 1st

Lincoln also fall… their 14th loss of the season, which is not a good mark… but a league-best 24 wins is keeping them in 2nd.

Trevor Benjamin comes up with an injured hamstring in this last game, and he’ll miss upwards of a month.

We terminate the loan contract of Eero Peltonen, as his hamstring still isn’t healed, and we probably won’t need him much after the Lincoln game anyway.

Champions League Quarterfinals (aggregate scores)
Arsenal 3:1 Real Madrid
Real Betis 2:4 Barcelona
Chelsea 2:0 Liverpool
AC Milan 1:3 Inter Milan

Marcus Williams picks up a groin strain in training, and he’s likely to miss most of the remainder of the season.

UEFA Cup Quarterfinals (aggregate scores)
Ajax 4:1 Club Brugge
Benfica 3:1 Atletico Madrid
Dinamo Kiev 2:3 Galatasaray
Sampdoria 3:1 Espanyol

April 8, Match 42 @ #2 Lincoln
Mark Cousins returns to the lineup at keeper today, following continuing criticism of Stiel. In the 6th minute, Dean Holden sends in a free kick from the right… Logan heads it in at the near post to give us a quick lead. It stays that way until the 85th, when Hagman gets a breakaway, and nets the clincher, his 5th of the season… which also sends Lincoln to a 4th straight defeat.
Win, 2-0, lead by 3 pts.

Not to sound too cocky… but I think we just locked up the title. A 3 point lead with 4 matches to play is by no means impenetrable… but the way Lincoln’s playing, I like our chances of staying on top.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Great reading!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

We’ve at least clinched a playoff spot by now, but still have some work to do to clinch a promotion spot.

April 15, Match 43 v. #6 Leyton Orient
Orient are 4 points clear of 8th, but can’t afford to drop points now, as their goal difference (+1) is terrible compared to their competitors. In the 18th, Gain sends a good ball to Hagman down the left… Hagman drags the ball back across the six, and Semple is at the far post to pound it home! Semple’s first goal of the season puts us ahead. At the half hour, the Hagman show continues as this time Semple plays him through, and he finishes inside the right post with a nicely placed low shot to make it 2-0. At the 38th, Gain sends in a nice ball for Hagman, and he scores again… 7 goals in 13 appearances, and a star is forming at London Road. Orient grab one back in the 53rd… then in the 71st, Hagman completes his hat trick, after a nifty pass from Palmason finds him open from 12 yards. Hagman leaves to a standing ovation, earning just the second 10 of any player on the squad this season (Benjamin has the other).
Win, 4-1, lead increases to 5 pts. over Northampton

Lincoln’s free fall continues, as they lose again and drop to 3rd, now just 2 points clear of being out of the automatic promotion spots.

Southampton have won promotion to the English Premier League.

As our deficit hits $800k, the board provides us with another $425k for operating expenses… that gives us a deficit now of $336,094. Plus, our bank loan will be paid off as of July 31, so better times are hopefully shortly to come.

Defender Mark Hughes loan period finishes, and he returns to Everton. Hughes was mediocre in his 9 starts with the Posh, averaging a 6.70, but he suffered from some poor decision making that lead straight to several goals.

One point from our last 3 now clinches a promotion spot… while a win today would clinch at least 2nd place.

April 17, Match 44 v. #20 Bristol Rovers
Not much of note going on in this one until the 78th… Peter Gain sends in a nice ball to the arc, where Logan controls it, turns, and scores past the Bristol R. keeper. Sadly, David Van Den Broeck brings down a Rovers’ attacker in the box, and they are able to level it on a 2nd minute of stoppage time penalty shot.

But after the game, word filters out that we have all but clinched the title as Northampton have lost, while Lincoln have as well to give us a 6 point cushion and a nearly insurmountable +13 GD advantage with 2 to play! We have essentially won the championship!
Draw, 1-1, lead increases to 6 pts.

Sadly for us, we officially have not even clinched promotion yet, as there are 3 teams now on 76 points, while we have 82… Lincoln, Northampton, and Notts Co.

Last year’s League Two champions, Yeovil, have lost the fight and are relegated from League One.

April 22, Match 45 @ #24 Bury
Bury are realistically 4 points from safety, considering they have the worst GD in League Two… so they must win their next 2 to stay up, and have Shrewsbury lose and/or draw both of their matches. And it doesn’t start well for the bottom-dwellers, as Semple’s 2nd minute cross for Peter Gain finds the target, and Gain knocks home his 7th of the season. In the 35th, Bury appear to level the match, but the goal is ruled out for offsides. At halftime, we’re just 45 minutes away from earning our way back to League One in style… In the 75th, the celebration can begin… A low pass from Danny Crow finds the feet of Lee Whittington, and he strikes it low and hard toward the left post… it bounces off it and goes in! Whittington’s 5th of the year confirms it…

PETERBOROUGH UNITED HAVE WON LEAGUE TWO!

Sadly for Bury, it also means they are going to be relegated from League football. In the 84th, Whittington strikes again thanks to a deflected 15 yard shot.
Win, 3-0, clinch league title

Neither Northampton, Lincoln, nor Notts Co. can muster a win, so all 3 will go to the final weekend with a shot at the 2nd and 3rd place slots. Leyton Orient has slipped from 6th just 2 games ago, all the way to 10th and effectively out of the playoff spot running.

A local journalist approaches:
Youngsters do Peterborough proud
Someone once famously said that you can’t win anything with kids but your title-winning first-team squad has an average age of just twenty-four. What is your response?

I say “My boys have proved themselves the best in the league. I can see this team just getting better and better.”

Another approaches after a period of celebration:
Peterborough need to face higher challenge
Congratulations on securing promotion to the League One. Do you think that your current squad is capable of playing at a higher level?

I comment that “I have no doubts in my mind that these players of mine will be able to make the step up.”

FA Cup Semifinals
Arsenal 2:1 Chelsea (in extra time)
Reading 0:1 Newcastle

Champions League Semifinals (aggregate scores)
Arsenal 5:3 Inter
Chelsea 5:1 Barcelona

UEFA Cup Semis
Benfica 1:1 Galatasaray (Galatasaray adv. On away goals)
Sampdoria 0:3 Ajax

April 29, Match 46 v. #19 Oxford
We bring up several reserves to start the final match of the season. 6 players see their Posh debut in this one. Young keeper Morten Bredal-Thorsen gets the ball stripped from him outside of the box, and Oxford take a 1-0 lead in the 38th. That’s how it ends… Midfielder David Perisset is the only newcomer to rate above a 6.
Loss, 1-0, finish with 85 pts.

Northampton and Lincoln both win the automatic promotion spots. So, our biggest rivals, Northampton, will be making the trek to League One with us.

We send everybody home for vacation pretty much right after the season ends… July 1 comes early. Everyone will get only about 2 months off before the pre-season training begins, then matches will start early in August.

Final standings:

Final player stats:

Player values/contracts:
Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

Final statistics
Avg. attendance: 4,153 (11th, 1st: Notts Co (6,660))
Goals scored/conceded: 71/40 (1st/1st)

Average rating:
1. Trevor Benjamin (7.45)
2. Mark Arber (7.44)
3. Lewis Brooks – Boston Utd. (7.43)

Goals:
1. Andy Kirk – Northampton (24)
2. Jo Kuffour – Torquay (21)
3. Trevor Benjamin (18)

No other Posh in top-10 of any other category.

Summary by position:

Goalkeeper
Mark Cousins actually played pretty well here when given the reins. Jorg Stiel is retiring, which is just as well, considering his performances were going straight downhill by the end. Morten Bredal-Thorsen needs some more seasoning, and Lee Harrison is on his way out.

Players out: Lee Harrison
Players in: 22 year old Austrian Markus Probst.

Outlook: Probst and Cousins will fight for the starting job… and I’m going to leave the fight wide open. Both are very cheap, and should be more than adequate to fit what we need. On paper, Probst looks better… but Cousins’ performance this season can’t be overlooked: 5 clean sheets in 10 league starts, allowing just 12 goals total in 13 appearances in all competitions.

Defense
We ditched our 2 best central defenders in midseason, but still finished allowing the fewest goals in the league, thanks to our defensive, counter-attacking style that looks to create from the other team’s failed attacks. Phil Bolland was perhaps the best player of the ones who remained, but he is going to be 30 soon, and is out of contract. He also does not look impressive on paper, so will not be re-signed. We may look to re-loan Evander Sno from Feyenoord’s reserves… Sno is only $5k for a transfer fee, but we have no transfer money available at this time. New signing David Van Den Broeck had a rough start, but finished strong, and showed he could play both right and center positions equally well. Dean Holden had a good, if unspectacular year at right back. Sean St. Ledger and Paul Carden both performed well below expectations, while Marcus Williams was expected to be a bit more of an attacking threat than he turned out to be at left back.

Players out: Evander Sno, Phil Bolland, Jamie Day (Res.)
Players in: 29 year old Algerian Malek Ait-Alia

Outlook: Ait-Alia can start at both center and right back positions… we’ll probably go with Williams, Van Den Broeck, Ait-Alia, and Holden as our main 4 to start the season, with St. Ledger, Carden, and Kennedy as the main backups. We’re thin here, and will look to likely loan in some more defenders once the season starts… or sign more once we see how our 2006/07 budget shakes out.

Midfield
We’re going to have a crapload of midfielders next season… so many, that a 2-7-1 might be in order. OK, just kidding. Peter Kennedy had a decent, if unspectacular season at left wing. I actually expected more from him, despite leading the team in assists (8). Peter Gain was the surprise player of the season, finishing #1 among midfielders in goals, with 7. He also finished #2 in assists, with 7. On paper, he looks beyond ordinary, but he had just a super season… he made the most appearances of anyone on the team, but his role as we move up leagues may be reduced. Andre Boucaud was mediocre from the MC spot, scoring 6 goals, but only picking up 1 assist. Adam Fry was slightly better on average than Boucaud, but didn’t get one single assist so was allowed to sign elsewhere. The emerging star at this spot is Palmi Rafn Palmason. The 21 year old Icelander finished with the 2nd highest average rating on the team… he did disappear at times, but seemed to get much better towards season’s end. Right wing was manned largely unspectacularly by Lee Whittington and Ryan Semple. Whittington also seemed to improve as the season went along, scoring 2 goals in our 2nd to last match, and finishing the season with 2 quality performances.

Players out: Adam Fry
Players in: 21 year old Moroccan AMC Rachid Tiberkanine, 17 year old Italian MC Michael Cia, 28 year old AMLC Matt Jansen, 20 year old Rwandan AML Honore Kabongo

Outlook: Michael Cia will be a reservist. Matt Jansen and Honore Kabongo will likely be tried both at left wing and at striker. Tiberkanine presents the most interesting case… he will probably be given a lot of chances to play in central midfield, although he prefers playing more forward. In fact, his signing to the team is the strongest argument yet to switch to my preferred formation… the 4-4-2 diamond. But with no quality DM’s on the roster, the switch is probably still a year away. So, our starting midfield next season probably will be Jansen, Tiberkanine, Palmason, and Whittington… unless we can loan in another right winger, as that is an area of deficiency. Defender Malek Ait-Alia can also play in midfield, and will likely be asked to do so.

Striker
The best call I made last season was recalling Trevor Benjamin from loan. I can’t imagine winning the league without him. 22 year old Swede Simon Hagman made his case for being our #2 late in the season, with a stretch of 4 starts with 6 goals toward the end of the season. Danny Crow was awful in his 15 appearances, but still shows so much in training that I am loathe to part with him. Meanwhile, Richard Logan and James Quinn were serviceable strikers, but Quinn fell out of favor mid-season, as he got increasingly pissed at me shopping him around.

Players out: None
Players in: Matt Jansen, Honore Kabongo (see midfield), 19 year old Keith Barker, 19 year old Danny Reed

Outlook: We should be well set at striker, as Keith Barker looks the most impressive of the youngsters to come in. He is fast and hard working, but is injury prone. He probably will be given a lot of looks alongside Benjamin early in the season. We will have 3 left footed strikers, which is a god-send for a team that runs 2 strikers… left footers are particularly deadly playing up the left side. Our pairs will probably look something like this: Benjamin/Barker, Jansen/Hagman, Kabongo/Reed. Reed is a bit raw, but should fit in well in spot work. You’ll notice I haven’t mentioned Logan or Quinn. Playing time will be hard to come by for them. So they had better make the most of their chances next season.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

May
Cash balance: ($234,062)

Central midfielder Palmi Rafn Palmason wins Young Player of the Month in League Two, while defender David Van Den Broeck comes in 2nd for the award.

Striker James Quinn complains about not having been in the first team most of the season, and threatens to explore his options should that not change. I offer him a mutual contract termination, but he refuses.

I really need to sign another defender or two… but I don’t want to break the bank. Fortunately for us, Feyenoord is more than willing to essentially hand us Evander Sno for no transfer fee. And Sno wants to work cheap, for just $45k per year for 3 seasons. I try to lowball him a bit, offering $40k through 2008/09, with a $5k signing bonus… Sno agrees, and our defense looks to be much better. One more left-sided defender would clinch it. Sno is only 19, but with tremendous upside.

Chelsea have won the English Premier League, while Sunderland and West Ham have earned demotion… while Portsmouth lose on the final weekend to Newcastle to become the last of the 3 relegated. Wigan finish a surprise 7th.

UEFA Cup Final
Galatasaray 0:1 Ajax
-A 69th minute Wesley Sneijder goal proves the difference in this one.

FA Cup Final
Newcastle 0:1 Arsenal
-Francesc Fabregas made Newcastle pay for an early missed PK, as he headed in a corner in the 80th minute to win the hardware for the Gunners.

UEFA Champions League Final
Arsenal 0:2 Chelsea
Chelsea win the Champions League for the first time in their history.

League Two Playoffs
Semis:
Cheltenham 1:0 Torquay
Notts Co 9:4 Mansfield

Final:
Cheltenham 1:2 Notts Co

The hammer finally falls, as Trevor Benjamin voices his concern at being so poorly compensated for being such a high caliber player. I tell him to wait until the start of the new season… and Benjamin responds with relief that I would consider a new deal. Frankly, it all depends on how our finances work out.

We may well have to try unloading Peter Kennedy (our most expensive current player) in order to afford Benjamin.

Trevor Benjamin and Peter Gain are both selected to the League Two Team of the Year. I pick up the Manager of the Year award.

June
Cash balance: ($818,999)

Ugh, even though the season is over, our money worries never cease. Luckily, another season is just around the bend.

Following a 5th place table finish, Manchester United sack Alex Ferguson and appoint assistant manager Carlos Queiroz as head man.

The board announce that there will be no transfer money available for the upcoming season… and “they recommend that you use this opportunity to give some of the club’s youth squad first-team experience.” Yeah, thanks a bundle.

World Cup 2006
Group standings:
Group A:Brazil 7, South Africa 5, USA 4, Greece 0
Group B:Croatia 5, France 5, South Korea 3, Ecuador 1
Group C:Cote d’Ivoire 7, Mexico 6, Sweden 3, Ukraine 1
Group D:Portugal 7, Germany 6, Nigeria 2, Bahrain 1
Group E:England 6, Spain 5, Uruguay 4, Japan 1
Group F:Italy 5, Russia 5, Iran 2, Paraguay 2
Group G:Argentina 9, Czech Rep. 6, Togo 1, Jamaica 1
Group H:Holland 7, Poland 5, Morocco 4, Saudi Arabia 0

-Crushing loss for the US, as they give up a goal to Brazil on literally the last kick of the game, blowing what would have been an advancement-clinching 0-0 draw.

Round of 16
Brazil 2:0 France
Croatia 2:1 South Africa
Mexico 1:1 Portugal (MEX advance on PK’s)
Cote d’Ivoire 2:1 Germany
Spain 0:0 Italy (ITA advance on PK’s)
England 2:1 Russia
Holland 1:0 Czech Rep.
Poland 0:2 Argentina

Quarterfinals
Croatia 2:1 Cote d’Ivoire
Brazil 1:0 Mexico
Italy 1:0 Argentina
England 1:0 Holland

Semifinals
Brazil 1:1 Italy (ITA advance on PK’s)
Croatia 0:1 England (in extra time)

Final
England 0:0 Italy
-In a largely negative match, Ashley Cole scores the 5th of 5 PK’s for England, making Vincenzo Iaquinta’s miss the loser for Italy, and the winner for England.

France, Germany, Portugal, and Spain among others fire their head coaches.

Trevor Benjamin has been named the Fans’ Player of the Year.

We have been given $575k for TV rights for the upcoming season. That and ticket sales for the upcoming season reduce our debt to $121k. But that will soon shoot back up as our new players and their salaries begin to arrive.

The board expects us to avoid relegation this year… they and the fans are “very pleased” with my management of the club.

I offer Peter Kennedy and his $200k per season salary around for $10k. Hull of the Coca-Cola Championship League agree to our fee, and begin contract talks with the Northern Irish left winger. Kennedy soon agrees to a deal with the Tigers, and another $200k is off our books with a bunch more getting set to arrive.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #25
Butter
Coordinator

July
Cash balance: ($369,506)

Jorg Stiel officially retires, and the new signings roll in: Honore Kabongo, Matt Jansen, Keith Barker, Malek Ait-Alia, Danny Reed, Evander Sno, Rachid Tiberkanine, and Markus Probst all join the Posh. The fans’ excitement over the Keith Barker signing is actually noted in the local newspaper.

Double good news for us… all the new signings don’t significantly increase our deficit. Plus, our wage budget has been significantly increased, from $1.6M to $2.3M. We currently sit at just under $1.9M, giving us some room for a couple of late signings.

League One squad Walsall sign former Scotland striker Duncan Ferguson to a one year contract.

Rather than sign fan favorite Trevor Benjamin to a new contract, I decide to offer him around. His value will never be higher than it is right now, and frankly, looking at his attributes, he is not going to do very well in the higher leagues in my opinion. He is the highest valued striker we have, aside from the newboys. I have burned often times in the past by refusing to sell a player when that player has hit his ceiling… so I feel the time is right, even though I know this won’t be a popular move with the fans. I get several takers at his $350k asking price, and he ultimately signs with Crewe of the Championship League. Good-bye, Trevor Benjamin. We’ll never forget our first year together.

With the sale, for the first time in my tenure we are in the black. We have $130,157 in cash on hand, and we’ve been given a $148k transfer budget.

Here is our friendly list:
7/6 v. Fulham
7/12 v. Southampton
7/18 v. Nott’m Forest
7/23 v. Leicester
7/27 v. Crystal Palace
7/31 @ Chesterfield

We get 5 home friendlies with bigger clubs to try and draw the fans and make some cash.

July 6, Friendly #1 v. Fulham
Zac Knight gets the Cottagers on the board inside 4 minutes. Collins John scores 2, and Steed Malbranque adds another before halftime to put us in the locker room down 4-0. Collins John adds one more after halftime to complete the humiliation.
Loss, 5-0

Out of the blue, Portsmouth offer us $85k +30% of next sale for Simon Hagman. I turn that down.

We get our first loaner in, as Feyenoord Reserve’s 19 year old DLC Lorenzo Davids agrees to a year long loan with us. Davids is cheap, fast, and tough. Should be a good signing for the left side of our defense.

July 12, Friendly #2 v. Southampton
The Saints bury a shot inside the first 40 seconds. Then they score a goal in the final 40 seconds of the half to take a 2-0 lead into the break. The defense does well to prevent any further lapses, and we actually finish with a respectable loss.
Loss, 2-0

July 18, Friendly #3 v. Nottingham Forest
We continue to improve each game, as this first half goes scoreless. Forest get on the board in the 62nd, as a through ball is deflected by Ait-Alia, but not far enough, as it falls perfectly to a striker to give our opponents a 1-0 lead. Then 5 minutes later, St. Ledger is dispossessed leading to goal #2.
Loss, 2-0

So, we continue to get our brains beat in playing some high class competition in the pre-season.

July 23, Friendly #4 v. Leicester
Finally, we get on the board after 285 minutes of scoreless friendly action… as Honore Kabongo hooks up with Simon Hagman, and the Swede delivers a nicely placed goal. Hagman continues to terrorize the Foxes through the first half, but they equalize on a deflected goal in the 32nd minute. The Foxes take full command, scoring on a direct free in the 35th minute.
Loss, 2-1

Our coffers are nearly overflowing, as we now sit at a balance of nearly $300,000, with one more home friendly to go.

We make a signing scouring the wire for unsigned players; 18 year old former Ajax fullback Adilio Augustin signs a reserve contract with the Posh. Augustin has the skill to develop into a quality player in a few years’ time, if we can keep a hold of him.

July 27, Friendly #5 v. Crystal Palace
The Eagles get on the board first, as Andy Johnson buries an open shot in the 8th minute. Then, Dean Shiels heads in a cross in the 11th to put us down two. Danny Reed finds the net for us in the 14th, scoring off an errant backpass. Sean St. Ledger gets red-carded for a kick late, but we play a pretty nice game in this one, staying within striking distance the whole way.
Loss, 2-1

We actually did put in a good effort in that game, and weren’t far off from a draw after we settled down.

Inter Milan pay Chelsea $74M for Arjen Robben.

We make one more free agent signing, penning 33 year old right wing/fullback Firmin Sanou from Burkina Faso to a 2 year deal worth about $60k per season. Sanou looks like a good choice at either position, and helps solidify our right wing slot.

July 31, Friendly #6 @ Chesterfield
We try out a different formation here, running a 4-3-1-2, with Ait-Alia playing central midfield, trying out Sanou on the right, and Tiberkanine at AMC. A good flow to the match, but no goals until the 70th, when Chesterfield finally break through our defense and score past Cousins. Chesterfield beat the defense again in the 84th to make it a 2-0 win.
Loss, 2-0

A fairly disasterous pre-season comes to an end. We were outscored 15-2, and didn’t win or draw a single match. We’ll keep that 4-3-1-2 in the pocket, but will open with our basic 4-4-2.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Really enjoying this...

-Chas
Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Boo hiss, getting rid of a Cambridge boy like Benjamin
Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

August
Cash balance: $348,500

The 4-4-2 diamond still intrigues me, as we do actually have 4 players on the roster who CAN play at the DM spot. In fact, Ait-Alia and Sanou list DM as their “natural” position, although both were signed with their defensive positions in mind. I may try to start mixing in that formation, along with our standard 4-4-2.

The First Round Carling Cup draw is held, and we’ll host Championship side Luton on August 23rd.

Simon Hagman broke a rib in our last friendly, he’ll be out 2-4 weeks.

Aug. 5th, Match 1 @ Bradford City
Bradford City are made slight favorites in this match… hard to know what the media think of our chances yet, as the promotion odds have not yet been released. My best guess is we’ll be picked to finish mid-table. We break out the 4-4-2 diamond to start the season, with Ait-Alia playing DM, and Sanou playing right back. Keith Barker and Honore Kabongo are our opening day strike force. We apply good pressure early, but get off to a bad start, as Evander Sno scores an own goal in the 15th minute to put City ahead. Van Den Broeck then misses an interception on a pass intended for Dean Windass (my favorite lower level player name)… and Windass scores past Probst to give Bradford a 2-0 lead before the ¼ mark. We start attacking much better after halftime, but Bradford keeper Donovan Ricketts just refuses to let one in. Evander Sno having a rough go of it, as he is red-carded for a “cynical” foul in the 60th minute, which puts any comeback hopes we had to bed. In the 78th, while Jansen lies prone on the field, Bradford complete a nice attacking move essentially over his back, as Windass buries a tough shot from 15 yards. Then, Windass completes his hat-trick in the 83rd, heading in a 35 yard free kick.
Loss, 4-0, begin in last place (24th)

Couldn’t go much worse than that. We have nowhere to go but up.

English Charity Shield
Arsenal 0:0 Chelsea (Chelsea win on PK’s)

League One Promotion Odds from totalbet.com
Hartlepool, Swansea, Bradford City – 7:4
Sheffield Wed. – 5:2
Barnsley, Oldham – 3:1
Peterborough Utd. – 33:1

Apparently, the 33:1 means we have an outside chance at promotion. Unfortunately, there are only 2 automatic promotion spots, then 4 more playoff spots… so one less chance at it here than in League Two.

Aug. 8, Match 2 @ #18 AFC Bournemouth
We switch back to ol’ reliable, the flat 4-4-2 with counter-attacking tactics, starting Jansen and Logan at striker. Again, some tentative defending leads to an easy shot for the opposition, as Davids failed clearance leads to a Cherries goal. 3 minutes later, Van Den Broeck fails to poke another through ball away, and Cousins has no chance to save the toe poked shot. 2-0, Bournemouth after 18’. 3 minutes later, Bournemouth score again, heading in a corner past the stunned Cousins. We fight back, though, as Matt Jansen heads in an Honore Kabongo corner in the 26th. Then, we catch a break in the 32nd, as a Bournemouth defender is sent off for hauling down Jansen on a breakaway. Another poor defensive play allows a shot from the right side for Bournemouth, and it culrs in around Cousins… 4-1, Bournemouth at the half. We switch to a 3-4-1-2 after the break, hoping to get back in it… but instead, the Cherries take a 5-1 lead at the 50’ mark. Luckily, we hold them off from scoring any more… but we look like absolute rubbish right now.
Loss, 5-1, remain 24th

We’re by far the worst team in the league at the moment. Embarrassing start to say the least. Luckily, the fans and board haven’t started to turn on me… yet. For now, we have to put the promotion dreams on hold, and just work on winning a game. Our fortunes may be helped by the fact that our next opponent is fellow League One newbies Northampton. I’m sure nothing would please our rivals more, however, than to step on our throats while we are down.

Our strike force has been horrible early, so we loan in another player… 20 year old Blackburn reserve Matt Derbyshire agrees to come to London road. Derbyshire features an 18 for finishing, and a 16 for pace. Should be a great addition to a team that is struggling to find the net right now.

We also pick up another youngster on loan, as 20 year old right winger Peter Till agrees to join us from the Birmingham reserves. Till should end any questions we have about our right wing play.

Aug. 12, Match 3 v. #16 Northampton
Matt Derbyshire and Peter Till start today. Derbyshire pays immediate dividends, as Lorenzo Davids crosses to the far post, and Derbyshire volleys it home! A 3rd minute goal puts us ahead. We get a break, as a Northampton defender is sent off for a 2nd yellow inside a half hour. In the 52nd, Peter Till chips a ball in to Derbyshire, and he takes it first time and scores past the Northampton keeper. We keep them scoreless, and hang on for our first win of the season.
Win, 2-0, up to 20th place

We climb just out of the relegation zone. I think we shall stick with the flat 4-4-2 for a while.

Aug. 19, Match 4 v. #21 Notts Co
A hotly contested first half, but it ends goalless. Jansen, Kabongo, and Gain all pick up minor knocks in this match. Early 2nd half, Kabongo is brought down on a breakaway, and the defender is red-carded giving us a one man advantage. In the 74th, young striker Danny Reed is played through… but he holds the ball up waiting for support, then plays it back to left fullback Lorenzo Davids, who chips towards the six… Rachid Tiberkanine is there, and heads it in past the keeper! Notts Co level it in the 87th, however, as Whittington loses a header in midfield, leading to an early cross and header past Markus Probst. We really can’t afford to leave points on the field against the bottom-dwellers if we wish to avoid becoming one ourselves.
Draw, 1-1, up to 17th place

Aug. 23, League Cup First Round v. Luton (CH)
In the 25th, Palmason’s free kick is fingertipped away by the Hatters’ keeper, but Gain is there to pounce on the rebound and score! Luton score off the 2nd half kickoff to level the match. Sadly, no one can find a winner through 90 minutes, so we go to extra time. Luton score off a free kick in the 101st, and that takes care of us in the League Cup in the first round for the 2nd straight year.
Loss, 2-1, out of Carling Cup

Aug. 26, Match 5 @ #20 Swindon
So many players are injured or exhausted from our last match, that this match is sort of just picking who’s fit to play, not who we want to play. Striker Leon Best scores for Swindon inside 30 seconds, and we’ve not got the best start on our hands. Luckily for us, in the 6th minute a poor backpass is nipped by Danny Crow, and he finishes from 20 yards. Then, 2 minutes later, Rachid Tiberkanine beats 2 men and gets in alone on the Swindon keeper… and he slots it home! A great quick comeback after the worst possible start. Swindon get back on level terms in the 24th minute, after Probst fails to control a fairly soft shot. Then, just before halftime, Matt Jansen crosses to the back post, and Whittington nods it home to give us a 3-2 hafltime lead. In the 77th, Swindon bury a 20+ yard free kick to level things again. Unfortunately, we can’t find another goal, and take a single point.
Draw, 3-3, remain 17th

We cannot get any defense so far this season. I’m not sure if it’s the keepers, or the midfield play not keeping enough of the ball, or the defenders turning it over too much or not marking well enough that is causing our poor play… but we need to do something about it. I think I’m going to try to get a keeper in here now before the transfer window snaps shut.

Aug. 28, Match 6 v. #24 Chesterfield
Chesterfield put consistent early pressure on us, and find the opener in the 17th minute. In the 2nd half, Matt Jansen hounds a Chesterfield defender, then flat strips him… he drags the ball up the left side, then centers for Matt Derbyshire, who buries it into an open net to even the proceedings. No one can find the decider, so we get yet another point.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 19th

We put out feelers on a crapload of Premiership reserve players, trying to strengthen the squad one final time. We’re struggling badly through the first month… and frankly, I saw this team challenging for promotion when I put it together, so the horrible defense I have witnessed through this first month just isn’t going to fly. I can’t sit and watch it for 8 more months. We must act now.

We get one loaner who doesn’t mind coming down to lowly League One. 19 year old Liverpool fullback Antonio Barragan joins the Posh on a 4 month loan. Barragan should be sensational on the right wing, and in defense… his crossing and first touch are absolutely deadly, and he is a very aggressive and smart player. Plus, we are only paying $12k for his rights for 4 months.

We finish August a disappointing 1-3-2 in the league, and lose in the League Cup.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

September
Cash balance: $324,361

We DO have a 4 game unbeaten string going in the league… even though 3 of those non-losses are draws, it’s still something to build on. But this month won’t be easy.

Sept. 2, Match 7 @ #6 Sheffield Wednesday
We alter our tactics a bit going into this match, going from long passing to a more mixed style, trying to keep possession longer… we also shift our “mindset” from defensive to “normal”. New loaner Antonio Barragan to start on the right wing. Barragan picks up an bad injury within 10 minutes and is forced to the bench. In the 27th, after we survive an Owls onslaught, Sanou gets a cross in to the near post… and Derbyshire is there to volley it home! Derbyshire’s 4th of the season puts us ahead. Sadly, in the 54th, Paul Dickov heads home a corner kick to put Wednesday back even. Dickov strikes again in the 73rd off a cross in, and now we’re behind again. Matt Derbyshire puts a shot inches wide with a minute or so to play, and that’s the closest we get to the equalizer. Another tough loss.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 21st

Every team seems to have a striker that we just can’t contend with, frankly. We’re getting killed on crosses in, and our defenders are not winning the headers they need to. Just have to try and improve in that area somehow… perhaps we need to switch back to closing down all over the pitch, instead of just sometimes. Or maybe I’m overreacting to losing a close game to a quality opponent on the road.

Sept. 9, Match 8 v. #22 Rotherham
Simon Hagman makes his first appearance of the season today. And it pays off in the 27th, as he steals the ball from a roaming keeper, then skims it home from 25 yards. Rotherham with another giveaway in the 55th, and Matt Derbyshire capitalizes this time, making it 2-0. Can we get another win? Lorenzo Davids makes it a bit tougher with his 2nd yellow in the 77th. Then we go 2 men down, as Rachid Tiberkanine limps off with a serious injury in the 79th, after we’ve used all 3 substitutions. We go into a defensive shell, and are able to hold on for a much-needed win.
Win, 2-0, up to 18th place

Bad news on AMC Rachid Tiberkanine… he is suffering from a serious hip injury. I decide to send him to a specialist, and he will be out through Christmas, and possibly beyond. Too bad, as he was one of the few playing well so far.

Sept. 16, Match 9 @ #5 Huddersfield
In the 36th, it appears that we’ve taken the lead, as Honore Kabongo heads in a Palmason free kick… but it is ruled that Kabongo committed a foul on his way to the ball. Then, in the 44th minute, Huddersfield work a nice through ball, and score past Probst to take a halftime lead. In the 58th, Barker is clean through on goal, but unselfishly passes up a chance at goal to lay the ball off for Kabongo… who promptly pelts the fans in the stands with the ball. We switch to a 3-4-3 in the final 10 minutes, and in the 85th it pays off… Jansen with a great header to play Hagman onside… he’s dragged down in the box, and the defender is given a red card while we get a penalty kick! Youngster Lee Whittington to take the EXTREMELY IMPORTANT spot kick… I hold my breath… and he buries it! Both teams throw men forward late, and Matt Jansen just misses a shot with about 30 seconds to go. But we do get a point out of it.
Draw, 1-1, up to 18th place

Sept. 23, Match 10 v. #5 Gillingham
A lot of action, but no scoring in this one… until the 81st. Barragan with a pass to Jansen, who picks out Hagman on a diagonal run… Hagman’s shot is deflected back out to the arc… where Jansen has the goal at his mercy, and finishes it! Then, in the 2nd added minute, Kabongo tracks down a long Van Den Broeck clearance… Kabongo sends a low ball into the middle for Palmason, who shoots first time and scores! Finally, it seems like we’re on track.
Win, 2-0, up to 13th place

For the first time all season, I can say that we’re safely mid-table. 4 more points, and we’re in the playoff places. We are definitely playing much better lately, and I credit much of it to the improved form of Markus Probst, the keeper, and central defender Malek Ait-Alia… Ait-Alia has 2 Man of the Match awards this season now, and has been spectacularly in form the last 4 games.

Sept. 26, Match 11 @ #10 Tranmere Rovers
Kabongo nearly scores just 30 seconds in, as he heads a floated in free kick wide…. Then just 30 more seconds later, striker Calvin Zola slips behind our defense, and buries a nice low shot to put Rovers ahead. Tranmere score again just 3 minutes later, and we’re down 2-0 less than 5 minutes in. Keith Barker appears to have scored his first in the 21st, but his goal is called back for offsides. We play fairly well, but Tranmere score again just prior to halftime to make it 3-0. And that’s how it ends after a dull second half. We were very close to putting 2 goals in, and unlucky to concede 2 of the 3 goals, so the scoreline is a bit misleading for me here.
Loss, 3-0, drop to 17th

Backup keeper Mark Cousins breaks a finger in practice, so we’ll be short a keeper for 4-7 weeks… Morten Bredal-Thorsen must be summoned from the reserves in his place.

Sept. 30, Match 12 v. #2 Oldham Athletic
A boring, scoreless first half. Oldham dominate, until the 74th minute, when Jansen sends a chip to the far post, where Antonio Barragan heads it just inside the left post for a goal! We’re able to hold on, and the crowd erupts as the final whistle goes, and we get a huge win!
Win, 1-0, up to 13th

So, we finish September 3-1-2… an improvement, but we still have work to do to contend.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #31
Butter
Coordinator

October
Cash balance: +$210,810

Again, we get an early weekend off thanks to heavy international call-ups from our squad. We drop to 15th thanks to the weekend of play without us.

Match 13, v. #21 Scunthorpe
In the 23rd, Firmin Sanou pressing up from his right-back position sends in a nice low pass to Jansen, who wheels, shoots, and scores from 15 yards out. In the 37th, it’s Barragan this time from the right wing sending in a quick cross… again it’s Jansen receiving the pass, and he scores again. Seems as though I’ve been playing Jansen in the wrong spot… he’s a natural striker, and I’ve been wasting him at left wing for 2 months now. Scunthorpe grab one back in the 41st minute, as an early cross finds its way to an open striker directly in front of goal, and he heads it past Probst. Shortly after the break, Gain sends in an early ball for Jansen, who picks it up on the left side of the box, and finishes inside the right post for his hat-trick! Jansen is the well-deserved man of the match. His 3 goals single-handedly push us to victory.
Win, 3-1, up to 12th

We make another signing to bolster our reserve corps, as it’s 17 year old Slovenian D/M-LC Andrej Mlinaric signing a cheapie contract with the Posh, in exchange for $6k to his club team, NK Aluminij. Mlinaric possesses a solid base of technical skill, now just needs to become a better student of the game to improve as a player.

Arsene Wenger is sacked as manager of Arsenal, following a poor start that finds the Gunners in 9th, with just 2 wins in 10 matches in the EPL.

Oct. 17, LDV Vans Trophy, South First Round v. #9 Brighton
The Gulls score in the 6th minute off an easy cross and header. Keith Barker misses a point blank volley in the 19th that could’ve put us even. Brighton then put in a 2nd off a rebound, as reserve keeper Morten Bredal-Thorsen is being exposed in this one. Brighton makes it 3-0 in the 40th, after Marcus Williams is sent off for a studs up challenge near the box. Richard Logan gets one back for us in the 57th minute off a rebound of a Keith Barker shot. Brighton put an end to our comeback hopes in the 67th, though, as Brighton bury a 15 yard volley past Bredal-Thorsen. The goals keep coming, and I zone out. At the end, I notice that 5 players rate a 4, and actually one of my players, Honore Kabongo, picked up a 3 at left wing. That’s the worst rating I’ve ever seen.
Loss, 6-1, out of Vans Trophy

I decide to rip Kabongo to the media, and tell him just how crap he is. That’s simply unacceptable…. The fans agree with my public calling out of the player… but apparently it has no affect on him. He has no comment, nor does he seem to be perturbed in any way.

Oct. 21, Match 14 @ #2 Walsall
A long ball bounces through about 3 players, and settles perfectly for Dexter Blackstock, who blasts home a goal from 17 yards to give Walsall an early lead. Derbyshire has a terrific shot just tipped aside in the 50th minute. In the 64th, Probst’s free kick finds Davids, who sends in a perfect long ball to Jansen… Jansen chips the keeper from inside 20 yards, and scores! Jansen’s 6th of the year is a lovely strike. We hunker down and earn our point… a good result against a league leader.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 14th

We get another crappy draw, this time for the FA Cup… we get a home game, but it’s against League One Gilligham. Couldn’t even draw a League Two team NOOOOO, had to draw freakin’ Gillingham, who have been near the top all season.

Oct. 28, Match 15 v. #16 Colchester
Under 7 minutes in, we get a free kick on the right… Barragan takes it, and finds Derbyshire just outside the six… he turns, shoots, and sneaks it under the keeper for his 6th goal of the season! We’re able to keep it level through halftime… and apply good pressure throughout the 2nd half as well… then we get the clincher in the 75th, as Derbyshire and Jansen hook up for some nice attacking play, Jansen with another nice chip to score. We keep a rare clean sheet, and take all 3 points.
Win, 2-0, remain 15th

We have 23 points in 15th place… and still are just 4 points out of 6th place… but our -1 GD is hurting us, leaving us 2 spots lower than Bradford City, who also have 23 points.

A barren October finds us going 2-1-0 in 3 league matches, but getting absolutely crushed in our lone cup match.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Note: I used the "wide" "field width" setting in all games this month, and it did seem to keep those damned crosses down. It could be just a product of our better play, but the goals against have been much easier to handle of late. Our defenders are playing great, making key interceptions when needed, and are passing it wonderfully. I have also gone from a "long" passing scheme, to a more "Direct" scheme, which allows more midfield control... trying to utilize my clearly superior midfielders and especially defenders to push forward and make those short passes to pick apart defenders. And with Jansen and Derbyshire finishing the chances of late, things are looking up.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #33
Izulde
Head Coach

Looks like Danny Crow sucked for you too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, big time. He looks so good on paper, too. I'm keeping him in the reserves just in case, though... maybe eventually, something will click. Until then, I'd be surprised if anybody will pay him enough to pry him away.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

November
Cash balance: $93,500

So it seems we’re still losing money, but still are holding on to a surplus… but just barely. Maybe we can pull off a couple of FA Cup home wins and bring some extra money in.

We sign another coach, bringing our total to 4… and our physio total to 3 as we signed one of those last month as well. Our goalkeeping regimen is rated 4 stars thanks to Coach Jorg Stiel, and our attacking regimen is now rated at 3 stars thanks to new coach Colin West, formerly of Stockport. Everything else is rated 2 stars.

Nov. 1, Match 16 v. #5 Hartlepool
Markus Probst spends the first 15 minutes of the match saving our hides at least 3 times. Then, in the 18th, Palmason wins a loose ball in midfield and passes to Derbyshire… 2 defenders run at him, and Jansen is left with a wide open lane to goal… and he doesn’t miss. The fans are thrilled with Jansen’s recent form, and we take the lead. A similar chance happens in the 35th, only this time it is Palmason to Jansen to Derbyshire, and Matt Derbyshire makes it 2-0… then 2 minutes later, Peter Gain with a great long ball to Derbyshire at the top of the box, he collects it on the dead run, takes one touch, and finishes past the keeper! What a first half we played… by far our best of the season. The play-by-play notes that Hartlepool play more defensively in the second half… and we wile the clock away and take the big win.
Win, 3-0, up to 9th place

We crack the top 10 for the first time all season, and still hold a game in hand on everyone in the top 8… we now lie just 1 point out of the playoff places, and are playing fantastic football.

The news notes that despite our recent good form “all but the real die-hard fans of Peterborough expect their early good form to peter out and for the team to be unable to maintain a challenge for the title.” Hey, suck it, Trebek.

Lee Whittington is nearing a return to full health, following a long absence due to a badly twisted knee. Whittington was just hitting his stride when he got injured, having scored 2 goals in 6 matches, and playing fairly well in midfield.

I notice that Sheffield Wednesday are snooping around Palmi Rafn Palmason… and Palmason has a $1 million release clause. We’ll see what happens.

Nov. 5, FA Cup First Round v. Gillingham (#8 in League One)
Our FA Cup tie with the Gills has been picked as a featured TV Sunday match. This is our first TV appearance in my season and a half as Posh boss. We can’t start all the starters, as we have a league match in 3 days… but I have confidence in who we do start, including young French reserve midfielder David Perisset. Perisset has been absolutely masterful in training of late, and has earned his callup. Honore Kabongo seems determined to impress a bit more in this cup match, as he buries a spectacular volley from just inside the area in the 3rd minute. The rest of the half is fairly uneventful, but a nice beginning for the TV audience here. Probst with 2 marvelous point blank saves in the 58th minute to keep us ahead… then in the 75th, we get the insurance goal as Kabongo’s cross finds Barker at the near post… he tries to stuff it in past the keeper, and his second chance crosses the line for the youngster’s first goal in Posh blue. Perisset with a decent starter for United, as he rates a 7, but was fairly absent through much of the match.
Win, 2-0, advance to FA Cup Second Round

We pick up $30k for our win… not an insignificant amount for us.

Our first cup win, and it comes in fairly impressive fashion. I cross my fingers and hope for another home game next, preferably against a Conference side. The Second Round draw is held the next day, and we do get the prayed for home match… but it’s against another tough opponent, league mates Oldham Athletic who currently sit 3rd in the table.

DC Evander Sno fractures some ribs, and will be out 5-7 weeks. Yuk.

We make another signing for January, as 19 year old Sheffield Wednesday reserve defender Tommy Spurr agrees to a cheapie deal with The Posh. Spurr costs us just $1k in transfer fees, and should be a capable left side backup for Davids once he arrives. Plus, he’ll cost us less than $20k per season through 2010. Spurr has 14+ ratings in heading, marking, and tackling, decent pace, and good mental and physical attributes. He has rated a 7.65 for the Owls’ reserves, and a 7.33 in 3 starts for the parent club.

I decide to give David Perisset a start in midfield in a proper league match, just to see what the lad can do. His superb flair, creativity, teamwork, and passing ratings (all 16+) promise great things.

Nov. 8, Match 17 @ #20 Crewe Alexandra
Crewe features former Posh striker Trevor Benjamin at AML. Benjamin has 2 goals and 3 assists in 17 starts for Crewe this season, averaging a 6.76. But it is midfielder Kenny Lunt getting Crewe on the board in the 3rd minute, after an Ait-Alia clearance fails to clear the box, Lunt stays open and scores to put us behind early. We level things just 4 minutes later, though, as Jansen’s shot deflects to Derbyshire, who one-times it past the keeper from 10 yards. Malek Ait-Alia is having a rough time in this one, rating a 4 for most of the half, before settling on a 5 at halftime. I pull him in favor of Sean St. Ledger. The rest of the game is played very tightly, but Probst makes a good one-on-one save to give us a point, denying a Crewe breakaway in stoppage time.
Draw, 1-1, up to 7th place

We now trail 6th place Sheffield Wednesday on just goal difference.

Our starting keeper, Markus Probst, picks up a jammed finger in this match, and needs treatment. A jammed finger? Screw that buddy, you’re playing… except he shows up as unavailable due to injury for our next match. Mark Cousins, our normal #2 is still about a week away from his return from a broken finger… and our U-17 keeper is injured as well. So it’s just lonely ol’ Morten Bredal-Thorsen for this one…. He’s on a part-time contract and starting for us in a league match. Pray for him.

Nov. 11, Match 18 @ #15 Barnsley
In the 4th minute, Barnsley hammer in a 20+ yard free kick over the wall. 1 minute later, they score again, as our defense apparently don’t feel the need to show up today. They score again in the 11th minute, and I feel another drubbing coming on. Luckily, we’re able to hold them off from scoring for the rest of the half. Just after halftime, Simon Hagman scores off a nice low pass from Keith Barker, but Barnsley pick up their 4th in the 56th off some bad marking. Bredal-Thorsen comes up with a couple of nice saves late, but the damage is done. Our GD drops to -1 after the 3 goal loss, and we miss a chance to jump into the top 6.
Loss, 4-1, remain 7th

I’ve learned my lesson about keeping only 2 halfway-decent keepers on the roster. I vow to head to the loaner list next time I’m down to one healthy keeper. But to be fair, I did try and loan in a number of EPL reserve keepers earlier this year, but none of them were willing to stoop to our level.

Malek Ait-Alia will miss our next match after accumulating 5 yellow cards this season.

Surprisingly, Rachid Tiberkanine returns early from rehab, and should be fit to play by the beginning of December. His hip injury was feared to be much worse than it actually was… his return would significantly bolster our central midfield.

Peter Gain suffers a broken shoulder during training, and he’ll miss upwards of a month.

Nov. 18, Match 19 v. #1 Doncaster
Doncaster with a good start, as a low 18 yard shot just sneaks in under the glove of Probst in the 4th minute. We’re able to equalize, as Perisset starts a move that finds Derbyshire take an open shot… and Jansen stuffing in the rebound! It goes to halftime all square. Rovers find themselves back in front in the 58th, as Probst is caught out trying to smother a cross in, but it is poked past him to the far post, where a Doncaster striker has an easy tap-in. We switch to a 3-4-3 in the 65th minute, and it pays off in the 78th… Palmason’s free kick is blocked right back to him… he advances into the box, then shoots again from 15 yards… the shot deflects through a sea of legs, and past the Rovers keeper for the equalizer. Then, a stunning turn of events, as Van Den Broeck just slips and falls on a pass inside our own box… allowing a Rovers striker to run onto it and strike it past Probst for the game winner. Unbelievable and horrible loss for us, in a game we should’ve at least drawn.
Loss, 3-2, drop to 11th

Then, to make matters worse, Matt Jansen strains his thigh in this match, and will miss 1-4 weeks.

A win in that match would’ve found us in 7th place still… and a draw would’ve left us 9th… but the loss drops us all the way to 11th. This is going to be a hard task to get into the top 6… much harder than I thought.

One more match in November to come, then our FA Cup Second Round game against Oldham, which it was just announced was moved to a Friday night for TV.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #36
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

How do you (personally) watch the matches? Do you watch the 2D view? Whole game? Sped-up? Highlights-only?

It seems that you could take forever if you watched all of each match. On the other hand, you'd get a really good idea of what your team can (or can't) do....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

I watch the highlights only, sped up to one below the max. speed.... with the match speed at the lowest speed possible. I trust the match ratings to tell me what I need to know... and I can see on goals and key plays who is playing well and who isn't. It's always worked for me in the past. I don't have the time or the patience to watch the entire game, even at super-high speed. At that speed, I can't tell what's going on anyway.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Nov. 25, Match 20 @ #13 Lincoln
Kabongo’s low cross finds Derbyshire… his shot is stopped, but Hagman cleans up the mess, and puts us ahead just 11 minutes in. Derbyshire and Hagman continue to apply pressure, but the Imps’ keeper does well to keep them in it… then Van Den Broeck with a bad pass to Sanou that is stolen… a quick cross and a shot later, and we’re all tied up. A fairly dull second half finds little in the way of attacking play… but in the final seconds, Matt Derbyshire seems to have a breakaway… then inexplicably, the referee blows his whistle and points to the locker rooms! The game is blown dead during our best scoring chance of the 2nd half! Ridiculous.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 12th place

I decide to terminate the loan deals of Antonio Barragan and Peter Till. Till has been just awful in 12 appearances, averaging a 6.17 in midfield and on the right wing. I kept playing him hoping he’d snap out of it, but he never did. Barragan has been injury prone, and currently is listed as being out 2-4 weeks… and his loan is only due to last another 5 weeks or so. Both players are right wingers for me… and my other right winger, Lee Whittington, just cracked a rib and is going to miss a couple of weeks. So I hit the loan market and try to bring in some more wingers.

That said, I’m very happy with David Perisset in midfield so far… he has hit a 7 rating in 4 starts, and a 6 in the other one so far. He has proven confident with the ball, and quite skilled… a number of times proving to be the catalyst that leads to a scoring chance… often not the direct passer leading to the goal, but finding a winger in space, or slipping a ball just behind the defense. Just wish he was a bit faster, as he tends to get dispossessed a bit too easily.

I decide to check out some of the French reserve teams, and see if I can loan in any talent from there. The reserve teams in League One are absolutely packed with talent, and I make several 3 month loan offers.

Defender/midfielder Firmin Sanou comes up with a groin strain, and will miss 2-4 weeks.

December
Cash balance: +$180,057

Dec. 1, FA Cup Second Round v. #2 Oldham Athletic (TV)
Lorenzo Davids picks up a red card in the 34th minute for a last ditch tackle to try and save a breakaway. We switch to a 3-4-2. 3 minutes later, Oldham score on a corner kick and header past Probst. In the 61st, Simon Hagman plays what even the play-by-play calls a “crazy backpass” that Probst makes an effort at, but can’t reach before the Latics nick it and score. This sad display will bring our brief cup run to an end… I sit back and watch the carnage unfold. Very late, Keith Barker scores on a nice header from a Perisset free kick to make it look not totally horrific.
Loss, 3-1, out of FA Cup

We’re really hurting injury-wise right now, as 5 first choicers are on the injured/suspended list right now: Defenders Evander Sno, Lorenzo Davids, and Firmin Sanou; midfielder Peter Gain, and winger/striker Matt Jansen.

Dec. 5, Match 21 v. #7 Blackpool
Simon Hagman shoots one right into the keeper’s stomach on a clean breakaway in the 11th minute. Sadly, we concede a penalty towards the end of the first half, and Blackpool convert to take a 1-0 advantage into the break. Just before the break, though, Simon Hagman hits the post with a 10-yarder. I tell the team at the half “we must get a result.” We get our own penalty just after the break, as Derbyshire is upended just inside the box… David Van Den Broeck takes the spot kick and buries it. Van Den Broeck and Derbyshire are playing as if possessed in the second half, as Van Den Broeck sends in a lofted ball from 50 yards, and Derbyshire is able to bring it down and shoot quickly… and it goes in off the post for his 10th goal of the season to give us the lead. Blackpool equalize off a terrific header in the 76th minute. Blackpool dominate late, but Markus Probst saves our hide more than once, preserving a point.
Draw, 2-2, remain 12th

It looks like unless we can turn it around fairly soon, we’re going to be consigned to a mid-table finish. I know we’re only halfway into the season, but this team just doesn’t have the horses to get it done right now.

Dec. 9, Match 22 @ #10 Swansea
Another bad start, as Swansea score in the 5th minute after the center of defense just parts and lets them right inside the box. A sloppy pitch in this one means it’s going to be hard to score… unless you’re Swansea. They put in a second in the 17th minute, and the squad look lost at this point. It’s 3-0 after 24 minutes, then 4-0 after 26... everyone looks disconsolate, and they really should. It’s 5-1 at halftime… yes, they got 5 in the first half. I pulled Probst after the 4th, and they still put in another. Derbyshire got one back in the 41st, but that is our only consolation.
Loss, 6-1, drop to 13th

Next up for us is the other team that destroyed us 6-1 this season: Brighton.

Dec. 16, Match 23 v. #10 Brighton
Again, we’re behind early as Brighton score in the 14th minute. We level the match in the 35th, though, as Marcus Williams flashes a rare bit of brilliance, sending a cross to the back post where Lee Whittington finishes it. A boring second half leads us to a draw. Frankly, that’s progress considering they way we have been playing.
Draw, 1-1, remain 13th

In an attempt to strengthen the squad in any way possible, and to lift it out of a 7 game winless streak now… I make an odd signing. 38 year old Italian winger/striker Paolo Di Canio signs a 6 month contract with the Posh. He leaves West Ham United where he had fallen from the first team. We sign him for a $2k fee to the Hammers, and he’ll get half of about a $230k per year salary to spend January-April (and possibly longer) with The Posh.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

I throw out some more loan requests, aimed this time at the EPL reserve squads again, after unsuccessfully trying to trawl through the Spanish and Italian major clubs’ reserves.

First loaner to agree to come is again, 19 year old D/M-R Antonio Barragan. This’ll be his 2nd loan spell of the season with us, and he’s practically recovered from that bad ankle injury from over a month ago.

Next up is 19 year old DC Phil Cave who joins us for 3 months from Newcastle United’s reserves.

Third to agree to join us is 19 year old DMC Floribert N’Galula, who comes in from Manchester United’s reserves. This Belgian has some nice mental attributes and is a skillful passer, and will also be on board for 3 months.

Fourth 3 month loaner in is 21 year old AMR Martin Brittain, who also comes to us from Newcastle’s reserves. Brittain looks solid if unspectacular on paper… but we need some continuity right now, so hopefully he can provide it.

That makes us reach our max. of short-term loaners, at 4.

Dec. 23, Match 24 v. #17 Bournemouth
Bournemouth absolutely eviscerated us in our first encounter this season. Cave, Brittain, and N’Galula all start in this one. Bournemouth dominate us early on, but we put together a nice counter in the 15th, as Brittain finds Derbyshire about 40 yards from goal… he runs by his man with the ball, then cuts inside another, and classily finishes inside the far post! Terrific individual effort by the youngster. Martin Brittain is forced to leave with an injury in the 27th minute. We pick up an insurance goal in the 73rd, as Whittington’s throw to Derbyshire is a good one… he crosses to N’Galula who heads at goal… his header is off-line, but Jansen is there to touch it into the net! Jansen’s 10th of the year puts us up 2. Bournemouth get one back with 30 seconds to play, but the whistle goes off the next kickoff to give us all 3 points.
Win, 2-1, up to 12th

We continue to sit mid-table, on 33 points… 21st place is 11 points behind us at 22, and 6th place is 5 points in front of us on 38. Doncaster are currently running away with things, 25 points ahead of us on 58, comfortably in first place.

Dec. 26, Match 25 @ #21 Notts Co.
Notts Co with an easy goal to start, a cross in to a completely unmarked striker at 9 yards, and he puts it away… and we’re behind in the 4th minute. Just 2 minutes later, though, a long ball to Jansen is nodded down to Derbyshire, and he one-times it past the keeper to make it 1-1. Unfortunately, a Notts Co deflected shot falls perfectly to one of their attackers, and it’s buried to put us behind yet again. Matt Jansen limps off late in this match, and we fail to equalize… again displaying the ol’ no fight-back spirit.
Loss, 2-1, remain 12th, 7 points from playoff places

Luckily, Matt Jansen just suffers from a gashed arm that requires stitches, but shouldn’t miss a long stretch of time.

Dec. 30, Match 26 @ #19 Northampton
Lee Whittington is forced off after just 6 minutes… I put Barragan on the sub list, but he’s only around 80%, certainly not enough to go a whole match. So I end up putting Paul Carden in at right back, and moving Malek Ait-Alia to right wing for the first time this season. The move pays off towards the end of the first half, as Ait-Alia creates some space, then crosses to the six… Simon Hagman’s diving header is on target and beats the keeper to put us ahead. Simon Hagman with a great individual goal from 12 yards a bit later, as he nets his 5th of the year to put us up 2. We knock the ball around, and take a nice win. Probably our best team performance of the season, as 3 players pick up ratings of 9, while most others rate an 8.
Win, 2-0, up to 10th place, 5 points out of playoff places

December ends, and it looks like we’re turning things around at last. We post a mediocre 2-2-2 record for the month, and an FA Cup loss.

January, 2007
Cash balance: +$226,180

A few signings come in at the re-opening of the transfer window.

The first is 17 year old D/M-LC Andrej Mlinaric. Mlinaric is a bit of a project, but could possibly see time at left wing late in the season, if our fate were already determined. He’s a good looking prospect, signing for just $10k per season.

Next is 19 year old DLC Tommy Spurr, who arrives on a transfer from Sheffield Wednesday. Spurr will definitely be allowed a chance in the first team, but probably needs a bit more seasoning to be a regular contributor. He signs for $20k per season through 2010.

Finally, 38 year old winger/striker Paolo Di Canio joins us to see out his career starting. He transfers in from West Ham United. Di Canio will be given the chance to play as much as his body will let him for the final 4 months of the season.

Jan. 1, Match 27 v. #15 Bradford
Di Canio and Spurr make their Posh debuts in this one. We also start Kabongo as Di Canio’s running mate up front. Kabongo gets clean through on goal in the 16th minute, and buries a high hard shot from 15 yards to put us ahead. We dominate the rest of the half, and go in ahead for a change. Di Canio played well enough, but never looked very dangerous. In the 79th minute, Honore Kabongo buries his 2nd goal of the match, a screaming volley hit off an early ball from Tommy Spurr. Matt Derbyshire caps things, as he scores from a nice pass from N’Galula, scoring as a sub for Di Canio.
Win, 3-0, remain 10th, 3 points out of 6th

2 fine performances in a row… maybe we can make a run at this thing after all….
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #40
Butter
Coordinator

It’s that time of year again… yes, it’s BOSMAN TIME!!!!! That time of year when a bunch of player contracts reach the 6 months or less remaining mark, and the point at which you can sign them away from their current team so that they’ll join you in time for next year’s training camp.

We’re quite busy on this front. But before we get to the signings, let’s look at who’ll be leaving us come summer:
Departures
DR Dean Holden, $130k per season wage
D/M Paul Carden, $50k
AM/ST Paolo Di Canio, $210k
ST James Quinn, $90k
ST Richard Logan, $70k
MC Andre Boucaud, $75k
AMR Ryan Semple, $55k
AM/F Danny Crow, $45k
D/M Shane Huke, $45k
D/M Andrej Mlinaric, $10k

That’s $790k off the books… combined with the $183k in loan wages that will be gone by next fall, and we’ll be cutting our wage budget by over $950k by not re-signing most of these stiffs. I tried to get Lorenzo Davids and Matt Derbyshire so sign a contract with us, since both are out of contract this summer, but neither one had any interest in coming to Peterborough on a regular basis. I might actually consider signing Crow and Mlinaric if they’re amenable to the idea.

To give you an idea of how that will affect us, we are currently at $2.376M in wages, with a budget of $2.3M. So, our wage budget will be almost $900k under budget once these players all depart.

That gives me quite a bit of leeway to bring in some impact players, and not worry about possibly overpaying one or two of them. The board won’t allow me to offer anyone more than $230k per season, so my hands are tied somewhat… but frankly, that income level should be enough to attract anyone to London Road that would actually want to come here in the first place… especially if we don’t get promoted this season. Plus, I always can use some loans in next season to fill in the gaps.

As far as what positions I’m targeting… well, everywhere. Our injury problems this season have proven that more depth is desperately needed so we can ride out those tough early season stretches that are packed with fixtures.

So, with all that out of the way, let the signings begin!

Our first catch is a big one: 22 year old Spanish keeper Ivan Cuellar will be joining us from the Atletico Madrid B squad. Cuellar lacks only in his command of the area, but should be a step up from Markus Probst, who has been a disappointment this season.

We also make a couple of signings of some African players currently playing in France… but those are pending work permit approval. I will note when those come through.

Our second major signing is picking up 32 year old Bolton reserve AM-LC Khalilou Fadiga. Fadiga is a very skillful player, with barely a weakness in his game. He is aging, but we sign him to just a one year deal.

Jan. 6, Match 28 v. #20 Swindon
Swindon get on the board first, as Probst gets caught out of goal a bit on a long ball, and the striker chips it over him for a goal in the 25th. We tinker a bit at halftime, putting Di Canio on the right wing… Then in the 61st, Jansen’s shot is blocked, but Palmason hits a nice volley straight in past the keeper to put us back on level terms. Di Canio played well enough, but we can’t find a winner later.
Draw, 1-1, remain 10th, 5 pts. out of sixth

Our 3rd signing is another AM-LC, this time 25 year old Cherif Toure-Maman from Togo, who’ll join us from French League One side Metz’s reserve team. Toure-Maman comes over with blazing pace, superb technique, and great off the ball skills.

We still can’t seem to find a right-winger to come to us yet, though.

Antonio Barragan suffers another long-term injury, and I once again terminate his loan deal and send him back to the Reds.

Jan. 13, Match 29 @ #17 Chesterfield
P.R. Palmason picks up an injury very early, and is forced off. We go in at halftime scoreless, despite each team having a couple of good chances. Probst allows in a weak 25 yard shot in the 50th, and Chesterfield is up 1-0. Just 3 minutes later, though, Hagman and Barker play the one-two, and Hagman’s quick shot off the return pass puts us level. Hagman scores again in the 61st, but it’s ruled out for offsides. The defense parts open and allows a wide open 12 yard shot in the 76th, and the Blues take advantage, going back on top 2-1. Just when it looked like things were lost, though, Phil Cave sends a long ball into the box from 55 yards… the Blues’ defender misses the header, and Hagman is able to control the ball… then shoot it past the keeper just inside the far post for the dramatic equalizer!
Draw, 2-2, drop to 11th, 7 points from 6th place

2 serious injuries stemming from our previous match. Palmason picks up a severely injured ankle, and will miss 3-6 weeks. Meanwhile, Honore Kabongo may well miss 2-3 months with a serious hip injury.

Reserve striker Richard Logan signs with Rushden & Diamonds of League Two, and I let him go for no signing fee. Dumping his $70k salary bumps us back under our wage budget.

Jan. 20, Match 30 v. #3 Sheffield Wednesday
We come out today in a new formation. A 4-2-3-1, with 2 defensive midfielders, N’Galula and Sanou playing around the center circle, and retreating to help in defense when needed. The 3 withdrawn attackers are Jansen on the left, Tiberkanine in the middle, and Di Canio on the right. The lone striker is Matt Derbyshire, who is finally back and healthy. We go with attacking tactics… let’s see what happens.

In the 13th minute, Di Canio finally flashes some brilliance, dribbling past a defender on his way to the end line, then cutting it back for Matt Derbyshire, who finishes with his 15th goal of the year. Then, just 3 minutes later, Derbyshire slips behind the defense after a Tiberkanine clearance, and beats the keeper after a long run. 2-0 Posh after just 15 minutes. Later, N’Galula with a great through ball to Matt Derbyshire, and he nets his hat-trick before the stroke of halftime! We successfully keep Sheffield Wednesday out of our net in the second half, despite being down 2 men by the end due to injuries to Sanou and Sno following our use of all 3 subs. Possibly our most dominant win of the season!
Win, 3-0, up to 9th place, 5 pts. from 6th

Evander Sno’s injury is not serious from the last match, but Firmin Sanou will miss 4-7 weeks with a badly sprained ankle.

The board is very pleased with our win, while Owls’ striker Paul Dickov notes that their manager ripped them a new one following this defeat.

We make our biggest Bosman signing yet, and possibly the biggest of my tenure next: 27 year old striker Malcolm Christie will join the Posh from Middlesbrough next season. Christie signs for a whopping $150k signing bonus, and $240k per season through 2009. Christie is not blazing fast, but is not slow either. His finishing and touch with the ball are deadly, and his movement without the ball is outstanding. He only lacks a bit in strength, but that can be helped.

That will end our foray into free agency right now, I think. Although I am still on the lookout for more defenders and right wing players.

Jan. 27, Match 31 @ #21 Rotherham
Derbyshire gets clean through on goal in the 22nd… but he decides to lay it off for Jansen… he hesitates and his initial shot is stopped… but his follow-up is on target! 10 minutes later, Derbyshire is through again, and this time he shoots… but his shot hits the post! Just after halftime, Derbyshire nips past a defender and gets a good shot in… it is stopped, but the rebound falls perfectly to Whittington, and he finishes the chance! In the 63rd, Rotherham pull one back on a cross and header past Probst. In the 80th, though, we put the game beyond doubt, as N’Galula’s long ball finds Barker… he draws 3 defenders and the keeper, but is able to toe poke the ball to Di Canio, who scores into an open goal! Di Canio’s first Posh goal. And we top things off with a Floribert N’Galula goal off a Jansen cross. Matt Jansen picks up a 10 rating in this match.
Win, 4-1, remain 9th - 2 pts. out of 6th

This tactics switch has been absolutely sensational so far. We are dominating the ball, keeping it out of our defensive end, and keeping it in the hands of our skilled attacking forwards and defensive midfielders.

I’m not sure why but our attendance has been through the roof of late. We drew over 10,000 to the Sheffield Wed. match a couple of weeks back, and as a result our earnings are shooting through the roof now. I notice that so far this season, we’ve made a better than $1.5M profit through January 27th, largely thanks to increasing gate receipts. Our average attendance early in the season was around 4,500, but it has shot up to over 6,000 with some recent games drawing over 8k.

We finish January a strong 4-2-0 in the league, and are now contenders for the playoffs... whereas just a few weeks ago I thought we were dead and buried.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

February
Cash balance: +$449,396

Floribert N’Galula comes in 2nd in Player of the Month voting, finishing the month with 1 goal, 3 assists, and a 7.5 avR in 6 starts. Very impressive. Matt Derbyshire picks up the Young Player of the Month award, picking up 4 goals this month in just 3 appearances. I finish 3rd in Manager of the Month voting.

Feb. 3, Match 32 v. #6 Huddersfield
We lay siege to the Huddersfield goal, and finally get our breakthrough in the 37th, as Derbyshire breaks through the back line of defense after a Phil Cave clearance, and he finishes the chance to put us ahead. H-Town gets their goal back in the 68th, as Tommy Spurr’s poor clearance leaves the ball sitting up 5 yards from goal for an easy strike. Not much else goes on, and we take a disappointing draw. Tommy Spurr rates a 4 in this one, and was subbed out in the 2nd half. I wanted a win here REAL BAD too. Oh well. Another big crowd of over 9,000 on hand.
Draw, 1-1, up to 8th – 5 pts. behind 6th place

Feb. 10, Match 33 @ #2 Oldham Athletic
Oldham strike first, hitting us on the counter attack in the 9th minute. They almost strike again in the 17th, but a goal is waved off for offsides. We tie it up in the 28th, as an early ball into the far post by Van Den Broeck finds Matt Jansen unmarked, and he scores. Marcus Williams is hit with a yellow card, and Oldham are awarded a penalty in the 65th… but the PK hits the post, and the 1-1 scoreline is preserved. In the 79th minute, Jansen sends in a low cross to the center of the box… then Hagman charges onto it and volleys it home! Oldham level it 4 minutes later on a breakaway, though, and that’s how it ends. Another chance to gain points on the leaders, and we fail.
Draw, 2-2, remain in 8th place – 5 pts. behind 6th

We’re now on an 8 match unbeaten streak… but we need more of those to be wins in order to pick up ground on the top 6. We only have 13 more matches to get things done…. And one of those things is to finish in the top 6 and at least give ourselves a chance at promotion.

Matt Jansen is sent home suffering from the flu, so he’ll likely miss our next match.

Feb. 13, Match 34 @ #5 Gillingham
Tommy Spurr yields a penalty to the Gills in the 11th minute, and they convert it to go ahead. 10 minutes later, Phil Cave handles the ball in the box, and another PK is awarded, which they also bury. 2-0 after 22 minutes. Just before halftime, we’re fed a lifeline by Paolo Di Canio, who buries a 20+ yard free kick. In the 81st, shortly after being brought on, Simon Hagman steals a square pass between defenders, then is able to chip the keeper from 25 yards out as he rushed out to meet him to equal things at 2. Off the ensuing kickoff, Lee Whittington makes a nice steal, then hits one ahead of Derbyshire… he blows by his man and latches onto it… then chips the charging keeper again, and scores!!! Despite pushing men back in defense, though, our center-backs allow an easy shot for Darren Byfield, and he equalizes. Both Cave and Spurr pick up 5’s in the center of our defense. Another gut-wrenching draw as we allow a late goal.
Draw, 3-3, remain 8th – 5 pts. out of 6th

Feb. 17, Match 35 v. #14 Tranmere
Tranmere have a 19th minute goal called back for offsides. Then in the 23rd, Tranmere are called for a handball in the box… and the PK is given. Lee Whittington takes it and makes it, his 5th of the year puts us ahead. The game is leveled in the 57th, as Van Den Broeck’s attempted interception is missed, leaving a wide open striker on top of Probst. Both teams squander good scoring chances in the last 5 minutes, and we have our 4th consecutive draw.
Draw, 1-1, drop to 9th – 4 pts. from 6th

We’ve now gone 10 straight without a loss… but still can’t break into the top 6. Very frustrating.

Shocker in the UEFA Cup, as Celtic win 2-0 at White Hart Lane to send Tottenham Hotspur packing.

Feb. 24, Match 36 @ #10 Hartlepool
Phil Cave is sent off for a last-ditch challenge in the 16th minute. We back down to a defensive 4-4-1 diamond formation, but that doesn’t stop Hartlepool from opening the scoring in the 27th minute on a nice 20 yard strike. We nearly score in the 38th, but an acrobatic save keeps it 1-0 at halftime. I dress down the players at the half, and try to convince them that we can still win. Just 2 minutes after I tell the team to push forward more, Hartlepool score their 2nd to end our 10 game unbeaten run. It just gets worse from there.
Loss, 4-0, drop to 10th – 5 pts. from 6th place

Not sure what to do now, we have less than 10 games left to try and right the ship… and our weak goal difference is not going to help us at the end of the season either. The 4-2-3-1 has been a defensive nightmare in the past few games, and our defense has just been playing awful. The attack hasn’t been all that great lately either… but we have had several injuries, including 2 to key players Matt Jansen and Palmi Rafn Palmason. I imagine my mistake was trying to stick with this formation despite the absence of both Jansen and Tiberkanine at AML and AMC. But even so, it’s not as though our traditional 4-4-2 was setting the world afire.

League Cup Final
Chelsea 1:0 Man Utd.

We end February at an uninspiring 0-4-1.

March
Cash balance: +$459,029

March 3, Match 37 v. #12 Crewe
We get a break in the 11th minute, as Crewe score an own goal, trying to clear the ball away from Di Canio. Unfortunately, one minute after we have a 2nd goal ruled out for offsides, Crewe score off a free kick. Crewe end up scoring again in the 81st, and put this game on ice. Our playoff chances are sinking fast.
Loss, 2-1, drop to 12th – 8 pts. from 6th place

Our goal of boosting our defense this offseason gets a boost, as 22 year old Congolese D-LC Aime Lavie agrees to a deal with the Posh. Lavie has quality heading and tackling marks, while his marking is at a good but not eye-popping 14. He makes up for it with very good speed, jumping ability, and wonderful bravery.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #42
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Just wanted to say this has been a nice read Butter. I have been shying away from reading dynasties lately as they all seem to start and stop. Anyway keep up the good work.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks! I know I've had a start-stop one in the past, but I'm fired up about this one, and getting this team into the EPL. Just hope I can actually DO it.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #44
cschex
High School Varsity

You're really inspiring me to do a write-up of my Grimsby Town career, where I am trying to advance to the EPL as well. Good luck, and if you can, try and get your hands on N'Guala permanently, as he is a beast in the lower leagues.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #45
Butter
Coordinator

Mar. 10, Match 38 @ #24 Scunthorpe
We switch back to the 4-4-2 counter attacking formation we used most of this year. A tight first half ends scoreless… but Derbyshire blew a couple of quality chances during the half. Pretty boring 2nd half as well, and just when it looks like we’ll be heading for a scoreless draw, Simon Hagman sends a long ball into the box from midfield… Jansen latches onto the end of it, takes a touch, then powers it in with his left foot! Just seconds from full time, we pick up a 2nd goal, as Jansen’s cross is headed into the goal by Palmi Rafn Palmason. An important win to set us back on track.
Win, 2-0, up to 10th – 5 pts. out of 6th place

Mar. 17, Match 39 v. #8 Walsall
A key promotion 6-pointer here today. We can pull to within 1 point of Walsall in the standings with a win at home today. Anything other than a win… and frankly, we’re dead and buried. We need wins at this point. 7 games left, we’ve got several points to make up on multiple teams. They won’t all lose.

I make the nearly unpardonable mistake of starting Palmi Rafn Palmason in this match. Why a mistake? His stamina is at 70% to start…. Oops. 17th minute, Paolo Di Canio scores his 3rd goal of the season, and his 2nd on a direct free kick for the Posh. I’m able to nurse Palmason through halftime, and I slide Di Canio back from striker to midfield, and put Derbyshire up front alongside Hagman. In the 59th minute, Probst with a good long ball to Jansen who is just onside down the left flank… Jansen with a low cross to Derbyshire at the near post… his shot is stopped, but Hagman with good control on the rebound, and he scores! Hagman’s 10th of the year, and we lead by 2! Walsall with barely a sniff at goal the remainder of the match, and we take a vital 3 points!
Win, 2-0, up to 9th – 2 points out of 6th place

Doncaster and Sheffield Wednesday have all but clinched the top 2 spots… but we have put ourselves in position to have a chance at the playoffs after a long, often frustrating season. The last 6 matches will tell the story... can we really achieve promotion this season?

First order of business is to examine Markus Probst after the game… he picked up a minor injury during the game, but was able to soldier on. No physio report, so that’s good. Looks like he’ll be ok to keep starting.

We’re able to extend the loans of right winger Martin Brittain and DM Floribert N’Galula another 2 months… but Newcastle won’t let us keep Phil Cave, so we’re down another DC… which is OK because that’s one area where we do have a good bit of depth. Maybe not quality depth, but depth nonetheless.

Good news, as Honore Kabongo is nearing a return from the injury list.

Mar. 24, Match 40 @ #22 Colchester
Di Canio and Derbyshire partner up front today, with Jansen starting at left wing in the standard 4-4-2. In the 22nd minute, a good interception turns into an attack, as Di Canio sends a brilliant ball down the middle to Rachid Tiberkanine, who has a yard on his man… Tiberkanine closes in on goal… and slots it home past the keeper! His 3rd of the year is a massive one! In the 30th, Probst with a point blank save on a free header inside the six. Probst with a couple more nice saves early in the 2nd half. Then he restarts from an offside, and sends the ball long down the right… Brittain wins the header, and flicks onto an open N’Galula… N’Galula with a great pass to Di Canio, who is played onside by opposite side defenders… he is free on goal, and he slots it home!!! 2-0, Posh, and the Peterborough fans are in ecstasy! 5 minutes later, it’s Jansen centering for Di Canio, he controls it, dribbles left and slots it home! 3-0 Posh on Di Canio’s 5th of the season. We play out the string, as Colchester tries long shot after long shot… but we take the win. Young defender Tommy Spurr with a terrific performance, earning a 9 rating and man of the match honors… surprising considering what Di Canio did.
Win, 3-0, up to 8th – 2 pts. from 6th

Blackpool drops from 6th to 9th with a loss, but both 7th and 8th place teams also win and move up, keeping us 2 spots out of the playoff zone.

We even managed to win the last match with regulars left-back Lorenzo Davids and midfielder P.R. Palmason away on international duty.

Bad news as Matt Derbyshire injures his chest during weight training. Being a loaner, his medical care is treated very seriously, and without consultation with us. He will likely miss about 3 weeks.

Mar. 31, Match 41 v. #16 Barnsley
About 40 minutes into this game, I realize that Barnsley are just packing it in… they are playing with all 11 men inside 45 yards of the box when we have the ball. As such, I switch from a defensive counter-attacking tactic, to a 4-3-2-1 attacking tactic, with 2 midfield wingers, and 2 AM’s, subbing in Tiberkanine for a tiring Palmason, moving him to AM, and leaving N’Galula at MC. 3 minutes later, it’s Tommy Spurr lofting a ball forward to Tiberkanine… he heads it into the box, and Hagman volleys it home! We keep up the attack early in the 2nd half to try and pick up another goal. With 15 minutes left, we switch to a defensive 4-4-2, and push Di Canio back to midfield and N’Galula back to DM to make it a 4-5-1. We switch to a 5-4-1 with 4 minutes left… and the referee allows 5 minutes of stoppage time, but we’re able to weather the storm and take the win! We didn’t play our best, but still gutted out the 1-0 victory.
Win, 1-0, up to 6th place – 1 point ahead of 7th place Huddersfield

4 straight shutout wins now…. Are we peaking a bit too soon? We’ll find out, as I warn the team against complacency following the match… next up, a date at #1 Doncaster.

We finish March with 4 straight wins, after starting it with a loss to Crewe.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

April
Cash balance: $552,221

Swansea with a make-up game in mid-week, and they pass us for 6th place by the strength of their +9 goal difference, compared to our +7.

April 7, Match 42 @ #1 Doncaster
Doncaster have lost 4 straight… maybe counting their title before it hatched. They’re still 10 points clear of 3rd place… but they have to start feeling a tiny bit of pressure, considering they had an 18 point gap on 3rd with 7 games to play. Doncaster play in the hard to defend 4-2-4 formation. We stick with what’s been working, the 4-4-2 counter-attacking style.

We have 2 quality chances saved in the first 8 minutes, and another close shot whistle over the bar. In the 30th minute, a Simon Hagman cross for Di Canio is handled, and we are awarded a PK! Captain Paolo Di Canio to take the spot kick… and was there ever any doubt??? GOAL! Lorenzo Davids is forced off at halftime with an injury. Doncaster come out from the locker rooms determined, but some good defense and a fine save by Probst beats back their advance. Then in the 61st, Simon Hagman is played onside by Rachid Tiberkanine, and he chips the keeper and scores! Doncaster are able to pull one back in the 90th minute, and we have to ride out 3 nervous minutes of stoppage time now… but we do it and take a huge road win against the league leaders!
Win, 2-1, up to 6th – 3 pts. ahead of 7th place Hartlepool

Swansea lose, and fall back behind Hartlepool, as now we’re just 2 points from 3rd place Oldham.

With the win over the league leaders, confidence is sky high at London Road… can we sneak into the playoffs after being 12th just about a month ago?

Our final short turnaround match of the season… and they’re all critical now. We can’t afford to drop points.

Apr. 9, Match 43 v. #13 Lincoln
We kick this game off with a bang, as Davids free kick from the left finds Hagman near the spot, and he buries a low shot to give us a 3rd minute lead. In the 10th minute, our players are flying all over the pitch… this time it’s a midfield scrum that results in a ball to the open Matt Jansen on the left… Jansen’s low ball to a healthy Honore Kabongo is a good one… and he’s barged over! Penalty! It’s Paolo Di Canio for the kick… and he scores it! We’re forced to use 2 subs in the first half-hour, as Kabongo and Spurr suffer injuries. Just before halftime, a Whittington cross finds Jansen, but his volley is stopped… however, Rachid Tiberkanine’s follow up goes in off the left post! 3-0 Posh… and it’s 4-0 at the break, as Jansen’s cross with his back to goal finds Tiberkanine, and he heads it home for his 2nd of the match. It’s 5-0 in the 55th, as Di Canio buries another free kick…. And then he hits another in the 63rd for his hat-trick. A 6-0 lead, and Di Canio has 9 goals in a half-season. A handball in the 78th gives us another PK… and guess who takes it? That’s right… Paolo Di Canio scores his 4th of the match and 10th of the season for the Posh. A complete dismantling comes to an end as the referee blows for full time. What a display! Paolo Di Canio gets an unsurprising 10 for his 4 goal outburst.
Win, 7-0, up to 3rd – 8 pts. behind 2nd place, 3 pts. ahead of 7th

We’re still not safe, but that huge win gives us a big goal difference edge, boosting our advantage to +15, the best among the 8 teams or so vying for the 4 playoff spots.

What a run we’re on! That last game may be the finest offensive game I’ve ever witnessed…. And that’s saying something considering I’ve been playing this game in various iterations for years. That helps make up for those multiple 6-1 drubbings we suffered earlier this season.

After that display, I ask Paolo Di Canio to reconsider retirement. He is certainly proving that he’s far from finished as a footballer. 10 goals in his short time with the club is quite remarkable… and he’s played all over the pitch at striker, AM, right-winger, central midfield. He’s been a superb mid-season addition to a club that was struggling to find itself for several months.

Apr. 14, Match 44 @ #8 Blackpool
In the 18th minute, we go up a man, as Paolo Di Canio is hacked down on a breakaway that probably would’ve resulted in at least a very good chance…and the Blackpool defender is sent off. We switch to an attacking mode, and it fails us, as Blackpool get a breakaway on a counter-attack, and are able to finish it off to take a 1-0 lead in the 38th. Blackpool need to win this to stay in the playoff hunt, so their effort is not surprising. We switch to a more attacking 4-2-3-1 at halftime… but it is ineffective through the 72nd minute. We switch to a 3-3-3-1, with an offside trap with 15 minutes to play. Finally, we look human in this one, and are never able to mount a serious attack on Blackpool. Not a totally unexpected loss, I must say.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 5th – 2 pts. ahead of 7th place Blackpool

Can’t afford to stop winning now. We must win our last home game, and at least get a draw from our other match in order to clinch a playoff spot. Blackpool has a +1 GD advantage on us, but I think a win and a draw should see us through to the playoffs.

Doncaster and Sheffield Wednesday both officially clinch promotion to the League Championship following the weekend’s results.

Paolo Di Canio rebuffs our pleas to reconsider retirement and reiterates his desire to hang up the boots at the end of the season.

Apr. 21, Match 45 v. #9 Swansea
Yet another team that needs a win badly. And unfortunately, last week shows we can be had. We need a win at home, to save us from the pressure of HAVING to win next week.

Matt Derbyshire returns from injury, and starts up front alongside Hagman today… Di Canio is at right wing. In the 19th minute, a loose ball near the box bobbles loose for Simon Hagman, and he takes a quick shot… and scores! His 14th of the season puts us ahead! In the 38th, we get another goal, as this time it’s Hagman supplying the cross, and Derbyshire finishing the move! Derbyshire scores his 20th of the season from point blank range. The Swans barely get into the box in the second half, and we take the huge 2-0 win.
Win, 2-0, up to 3rd place

With the win, and Blackpool and Gillingham’s losses… we’ve clinched a playoff berth! We’re on 72 points, and the best that any 7th place team can do is 71 points, as both 7th and 8th are currently on 68 with 1 game left. Now the question is, how badly do I want 3rd place? Probably not all that badly to be honest.

Chelsea win the EPL title for the 3rd straight season.

Chelsea also make the final of the Champions League, where they will face Juventus.

In the UEFA Cup Final, it will be Bayern Munich v. Arsenal.

Apr. 28, Match 46 @ #13 Brighton
Rather than shake up team chemistry, I decide to leave the same XI out there that have been playing lately. After a weird series of bounces, Brighton end up scoring on a half volley from about 10 yards out in the 17th minute. Then, they make it 2-0 in the 35th with a nice curling 20 yarder. My decision not to use scrubs for this game bites me in the ass in the 65th, as Paolo Di Canio heads to the bench with an injury. We barely threaten in the entire match, and take home a bad loss. Not the way to head into the playoffs.
Loss, 2-0, finish 3rd

We still finish 3rd with the loss… and our Playoff opponent will be drawn on May 7th.

Paolo Di Canio suffered a facial laceration in the last match… but should most likely be fit for our playoff matches.

We finish April 3-0-2, but earn our way into the playoffs with a sizzling 5 match streak that started back in March. We don’t end the season well, but look to be the in-form favorites heading into the Playoffs, considering our jump from 12th to 3rd in 2 months’ time.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #47
Butter
Coordinator

May
Cash balance: $613,770

West Bromwich Albion, Blackburn Rovers, and Wigan Athletic are the teams relegated to the League Championship from the EPL this season. Meanwhile, Portsmouth wins the LC, and returns to the EPL after just one season in the lower tier.

We will face 6th place Walsall in the Semifinals, starting on Sunday, May 13th.

UEFA Cup Final
Arsenal 0:1 Bayern Munich

FA Cup Final
Liverpool 2:2 Arsenal (Liverpool win on PK’s)

League One Semifinal, First Leg
Huddersfield 0:3 Blackpool

Next week, it’s time to start up the 2-legged playoffs, as we'll travel to Walsall where The Posh seek promotion for a second consecutive season.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #48
Butter
Coordinator

May 13, League One Playoff Semi-Final @ Walsall
Posh lineup:
GK: Probst
D (L to R): Davids, Van Den Broeck, Ait-Alia, Sanou
M: Jansen, Palmason, N’Galula, Whittington
S: Di Canio, Derbyshire
Subs: GK Bredal-Thorsen, ST Hagman, ST/AML Kabongo, AMC Tiberkanine, D Spurr

We get a break, as an N’Galula cross is headed into Walsall’s goal by their own defender, and we take a 1-0 lead after 9 minutes. Then in the 27th, Palmason’s cross goes into a sea of players… it hits Di Canio, then Derbyshire is able to stuff it through a number of Walsall players to give us a 2-0 lead. In the 53rd minute, N’Galula is fouled in the box, and we’re awarded a PK! It’s defender David Van Den Broeck to take it… and he hits it high, hard, and true… we lead 3-0. Rachid Tiberkanine nearly makes it 4-0 with a 25 yard curling shot, but it hits the crossbar and bounces clear. We run out the clock, and take a convincing opening match win.

Win, 3-0, Leg 2 @ London Road on May 16th

Not a long rest between the 2 legs of this tie… but luckily, we didn’t get too fatigued in this match. We did lose Lee Whittington for the remainder of the playoffs with a severely sprained ankle, however. I could’ve given him injections to get through our next match… but seeing as we’re up 3 goals, I decided not to risk him.

League One Semi-Final, Second Leg
Blackpool 2:0 Huddersfield (Blackpool advance 5-0 on aggregate)

May 16, League One Playoff Semi-Final Second Leg v. Walsall
Posh lead 3-0

Lineup:
D: Davids, Spurr, Ait-Alia, Sanou
M: Jansen, Tiberkanine, N’Galula, Di Canio
S: Derbyshire, Hagman
Subs: GK Bredal-Thorsen, D Van Den Broeck, ST Barker, M Palmason, AM/ST Kabongo

Matt Derbyshire buries a 17th minute shot from 10 yards to put us up 4-0. Walsall are given a penalty in the 22nd minute, and convert it to get on the board. Kabongo is fouled in the 35th minute in the box, and Di Canio buries the spot kick to restore our 4 goal margin. Walsall make it 2-2 (5-2) in the 42nd, with a nice long ball and goal on a counter-attack. The rest of the match is a pretty dull affair, as we manage to make our 3 goal advantage from Leg 1 stand up, but don’t look very pretty doing it.

Draw, 2-2, Posh advance to Final 5-2 on aggregate

Our attendance in the last match of 15,298 is a record high. And those gate receipts of $450k don’t hurt either. The final will be on May 26th, at Wembley Stadium in London.

Lorenzo Davids injures his calf in this match, and may miss the Final.

UEFA Champions League Final
Chelsea 1:3 Juventus
Chelsea fail to pull of the repeat, as a 3 goal first half from the Torino club finds them winning Europe for the first time since 1996.

Sadly for us, Floribert N’Galula’s loan deal expires, and he returns to Manchester United after we’re unable to work out a brief extension. Shortly thereafter, he signs a new contract with Southampton. N’Galula played well for us this year, rating a 7.18 in 22 appearances, with 1 goal and 6 assists out of central midfield.

Martin Brittain also returns to Newcastle after his loan finishes… but we won’t miss him as much. Brittain was given plenty of opportunities in our lineup, but in 9 appearances, averaged just a 6.33 and provided only 1 assist.

Wolves win the Championship Playoff, so they will join Portsmouth and West Ham in the Premiership next season.

Can Paolo Di Canio go out in style, and lead us to our 2nd successive promotion? Or will we run out of magic one match short?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #49
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Ugh... nailbite endings suck...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

May 26, League One Playoff Final v. Blackpool – From Wembley Stadium, London
Lineup:
D: Spurr, Van Den Broeck, Ait-Alia, Sanou
M: Palmason, Gain, Jansen, Tiberkanine, Di Canio
S: Derbyshire
Subs: GK Cousins, AM/ST Kabongo, ST Hagman, ST Barker, D/M Williams

Coming out in a 4-2-3-1 today, to try and confuse Blackpool. They dominated us this year… we were lucky to secure the single point from our 2 matches.

Both teams seem tight early… Di Canio heads one to Tiberkanine, who passes for Derbyshire in the 23rd… Derbyshire finds a bit of space, and shoots low… and scores! Tucks it inside the left post, and we take the lead! Frankly, it could’ve been as much as 3-0 by halftime, but a couple of brilliant saves by the Blackpool keeper keep them in it at the break.

I warn the team against a performance drop, and hold my breath… 45 more minutes to promotion. Blackpool with a couple of good build-ups, but their shooting is bad today. In the 69th, Derbyshire knocks a ball ahead of Jansen… he tracks it down near the flag, then bends a cross to the far post… where Di Canio touches it into the back of the net! 2-0 Posh, and the London Road faithful who’ve made the trip are in hysterics! We drop into a 4-5-1 with the same personnel, and try to keep people in front of the ball. Blackpool miss a sitter in the 78th minute, and it looks like we’re well on our way! The seconds tick off, and I celebrate with my assistants, as Peterborough United have won the League One Playoffs!
Win, 2-0, promotion to Championship

The stats really do tell the story of that match, as we had 8 shots, 7 of which were on target, while of Blackpool’s 11 shots, 10 were off target.

PETERBOROUGH REJOICE IN PROMOTION SUCCESS

Peterborough fans are absolutely ecstatic after their boss Butter O’Sixty-Nine beat all the odds to gain promotion from the English League One.

One fans’ spokesperson was heard to remark that O’Sixty-Nine had performed wonders with the resources at his disposal and that a manager of O’Sixty-Nine’s caliber would be coveted by a lot of higher profile clubs.

PETERBOROUGH BOARD PRAISE ‘UNBELIEVABLE’ PROMOTION

The Peterborough board have declared that gaining promotion from the English League One is a quite unbelievable achievement given the skepticism surrounding the club’s chances of promotion when the season began.

They stated that manager Butter O’Sixty-Nine had done a remarkable job at London Road and hope he will continue to be a success for the club for years to come.

PALMASON PRAISES O’SIXTY-NINE FOLLOWING PROMOTION

Palmi Rafn Palmason heaped praise on his current manager following Peterborough’s promotion from English League One.

Palmason claimed that O’Sixty-Nine had done a remarkable job in getting the team promoted and that a lot of the plaudits should head in the manager’s direction.

Now the real reason Palmason cares:

Palmi Rafn Palmason has been given an automatic 15% pay rise as a result of Peterborough winning promotion to the Championship.

Another great season… it started rough, but once we figured out how to use some of our players, and got some good mid-season players in, it all came together for us.

Now, onward and upward for Peterborough United! Time to fight the good fight against relegation in the League Championship.