Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #2051
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wall-E - 9.5/10
A very solid 9.5. If I could give it a 9.6 or 9.7, I would. A very touching, nice story about a little robot. The story contains some messages about destroying the environment and machines, and I thought it all worked well. There were funny, cute moments and touching moments. The music used in the movie fit well too. Only complaint I have is that using real and fake humans in the movie seemed kind of weird. Other than that, I can't find anything to complain about. The side characters were also great, and I found the lack of dialogue refreshing.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #2052
Vince
Pro Starter

Wanted - 9/10
The rating above assumes you're going in with a check-your-brain-at-the-door mentality. If you're not ok with completely unrealistic stuff happening, avoid this movie. With a firm suspension of disbelief however, this movie flat-out rocks. The special effects are phenomenal, Angelina Jolie's ass is also phenomenal and outside of a slight lull in the middle, the movie maintains a good action-packed pace throughout. A fairly predictable plot and some overly gratuitous gore near the end of the movie is the only thing keeping this from a 10 in my opinion.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 06-28-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #2053
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have been looking forward to this weekend for some time, as both Wall-E and Wanted were high on my list of summer movies to see. Too beat from the work day to go to one tonight, though. Won't be long, though. Nothing I have seen here or from critics tells me they are anything except what I expect.

Heck, I even want to see Beatie Boy Adam Yauch's documentary on 2006 high school phenoms during their recruiting, including four players drafted last night.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #2054
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Wall-E - 9.5/10
A very solid 9.5. If I could give it a 9.6 or 9.7, I would.

uh...who exactly is stopping you?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #2055
Flasch186
Coordinator

Charlie Bartlett 7.5/10

It was a good lighter flick and the acting was pretty good although at some points I felt like the main actors were told to underplay, everything. The movie was good, the music was good, and the story was quick and decent.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #2056
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

House rules .
Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #2057
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And I don't need to see a jerk off to killing flick, but I'm not going to shit on people liking Rambo.

I didn't jerk off to Rambo.

I may have caressed my nipples a bit though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #2058
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Was this before or after looking at a Pumpy pic?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #2059
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

I forget who compiles FOFC ratings, but they said to do a 10-point scale and increments of .5.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #2060
RendeR
Coordinator

Saw Ironman last night, must say I hate RD Jr, but he was perfect for the role of Tony Stark. Its not like he actually has to ACT...he IS the role....

anyway, great lead in film for a future series of movies. Loved the development of Stark and Pepper. Can't wait to see the next one.

8.5/10
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #2061
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The Incredible Hulk - 8.5/10

Loved the movie. My daughter liked it "one extra super great" more then Iron Man, which got about 50 I think.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #2062
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Went and watched Get Smart tonight with my wife.. I'm not much for number ratings since I seem to tolerate or like alot more than most people do... but I really enjoyed this movie. I went into see it with a fairly low bar though, but left pleasantly surprised. Both my wife and I were laughing a good majority of the movie.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #2063
sabotai
General Manager

Rambo - 6.5/10

I thought it was a good action movie, but it also felt too short and I wasn't very impressed with the battle at the end. Not that is was anti-climactic, but I've seen much better battle scenes. I doubt I'll be wanting to see it again soon, but it's worth a rental.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #2064
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

10,000 BC - meh
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #2065
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
10,000 BC - meh

That is not a number, sir!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #2066
korme
Go Reds

Wanted getting a 9/10 here means I've almost lost faith in this thread, sorry Vin

Last edited by korme : 06-29-2008 at 01:52 AM.
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #2067
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Wanted getting a 9/10 here means I've almost lost faith in this thread, sorry Vin

word. 4/10.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #2068
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
That is not a number, sir!

Actually, 10,000 is a pretty big number.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #2069
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad.

You're right, though, I don't think it was a 9.

I put it at 7/10. I enjoyed the action scenes. Angelina is hot. Knowing it was going to be ridiculously over the top made it a lot easier to accept the "unlikely" stuff and just watch it for what it is.

All that said, really the plot is fairly derivative and unoriginal. I'll mostly remember this one for individually cool scenes (mostly involving cars).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #2070
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
10,000 BC - meh

4/10
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #2071
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I watched 10,000 BC last night and totally agree with Doug5984. My husband and son saw it in theaters and for months I've been hearing about how I'll love it b/c it's a love story, blah blah blah...got it on DVD last night, and meh is about the best I can do as well. I thought the story was VERY predictable...
Spoiler
...of course I was right. And the end - again, called it very early on in the movie.

The only good part of the movie for me was turning the TikTik guys name into Tic Tac and then making an assortment of breath mint references throughout the movie. Like when my son pointed out the bone thingy in the guys ear, I said it wasn't a bone, it was a giant hunk of breath mint, they had to wear them like that b/c they hadn't invented the machine that made them small and conveniently packaged for personal use

4/10

Last edited by oliegirl : 06-29-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: per Chief's request :)
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #2072
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I watched 10,000 BC last night and totally agree with Doug5984. My husband and son saw it in theaters and for months I've been hearing about how I'll love it b/c it's a love story, blah blah blah...got it on DVD last night, and meh is about the best I can do as well. I thought the story was VERY predictable
Spoiler
I rolled my eyes and told my son exactly what would happen in a few scenes...of course I was right. And the end - again, called it very early on in the movie.

You probably want to spoiler that for future reference. Not saying I was going to rush out and see it anytime soon, but I probably would have seen it eventually. I am guessing this is a major plot point?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #2073
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You probably want to spoiler that for future reference. Not saying I was going to rush out and see it anytime soon, but I probably would have seen it eventually. I am guessing this is a major plot point?

I'll spoiler it, sorry
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #2074
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I'll spoiler it, sorry

Don't worry about it. Not like that spoils a great movie, from everything I have heard.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #2075
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

Meh, I'm a sucker for special effects. My favorite movie of all time is probably the first Matrix Movie.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #2076
rowech
Pro Starter

Wanted (7/10) -- Okay. Blood and slow motion shots were just way over the top. Perhaps I'm just getting too old.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #2077
MikeVic
Head Coach

Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs - 7.5/10
I didn't find this movie to be better than the first, but it was still alright. Maybe I need to watch it again, but for a first viewing it felt more like a show than a movie, while the first one (at least to me) felt more like a movie.

An American Crime - incomplete
I wanted to catch up on Ellen Page movies, and this was next on the list. I found it good, up until they get to a bunch of torture stuff. I actually couldn't keep watching, as stuff that was happening in the story was just horrible. So I watched about 50 minutes of it I think, and don't think I will ever finish it. If you get emotional about movies I would recommend staying away from this.

Acting was great from multiple parties from what I saw, but at the point I got to there were just waaaaay too many "bad guys." I hated every character at that point except for the geeky-looking kid in the glasses and Ellen Page's character.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #2078
molson
General Manager

Michael Clayton 5/10

Very dissapointing.

I'll give it another chance someday, as I was a little sick and distracted and when I saw it and that no doubt impacted my enjoyment of a movie like this. It's very possible I missed quit a bit.

But I found neither the story nor the characters particularly interesting at all.

Spoiler

Wanted 6/10

It killed a couple of hours and kept my attention, nothing more. That's the default a movie should do, and I think that earns a 6.

Last edited by molson : 06-30-2008 at 03:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #2079
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rails and Ties 8.5 /10

watching it now and I gotta say WOW. Ill score it when its over but im enraptured.

I thought the acting was awesome, the character arcs were incredible, the emotional tension was awesome. My wife thought it was slow but I thought that that added to the tension and reality. I thought it was great.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-30-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #2080
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

GET SMART
(7/10)

It really has some funny parts, and the story flows pretty well. I have never been a huge Steve Carell fan, and I would imagine that people that love him, will love this movie. Anne Hathaway is a pleasure to watch. For not being a Carell fan, and I never watched the original series, I still thought the movie was quite enjoyable.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #2081
KWhit
Coordinator

(7/10)

Finally got around to seeing this one and it was about what I expected. I loved the style and thought the fight scenes were really well done, so I enjoyed it, but there's not a whole lot of "there" there. As an aside, since we had a bit of Gladiator discussion recently, I thought this was a much better movie than Gladiator because 300 embraced what it was trying to do. It was extremely silly and contrived, but it wasn't trying to be serious like Gladiator was (which was also very silly and contrived and missed the mark for the tone it was presented in).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #2082
Lorena
Unregistered

Rounders 7/10

Pretty solid film, but would have enjoyed it more if I understood poker.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #2083
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Rounders 7/10

Pretty solid film, but would have enjoyed it more if I understood poker.

best movie ever.

Ed Norton as Worm has the seedy poker playing degenerate down to a science
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #2084
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs - 7.5/10
I didn't find this movie to be better than the first, but it was still alright. Maybe I need to watch it again, but for a first viewing it felt more like a show than a movie, while the first one (at least to me) felt more like a movie.

There is a first one? I watched the show for a long time, never knew there was a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #2085
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
best movie ever.

Ed Norton as Worm has the seedy poker playing degenerate down to a science

Great movie but don't go overboard.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #2086
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
There is a first one? I watched the show for a long time, never knew there was a movie.

Second movie. Both are good but I thought the second was better. Both have loads of laughs. The first one suffered a bit from a confusing plot and a couple bad songs.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #2087
korme
Go Reds

Hancock - Found out that it was showing in advance today so I went and saw it. It was about what I expected, with a few surprises and a more decent story arc than I anticipated. It was good, not great. 7/10
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #2088
Lorena
Unregistered

The Amazing Screw-On Head - 9/10

Very short film (under half an hour) based on a comic. I believe Screw-On head is some kind of secret agent that changes body, based on the crime. Paul Giamatti plays The Amazing Screw-On Head, David Hyde Pierce (from Frasier) plays the zombie, and Molly Shannon plays the vampire.

Great characters and the lines were nicely delivered. I hope they make more of these as this "episode" was highly entertaining.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #2089
Johnny93g
College Starter

Wanted 3/10

First half hour was actually good. Very Good. Then it all went to shit.

This movie had no logic behind it. It didnt make sense. Now by logic, I'm not talking about bullets bending and all that stuff. I can accept that stuff as the reality the movie is set in. I'm talking about the logic behind the story, why characters do what they do, logic to move the plot along. There was none of that.

For the most part, character development was poor, way too much slow motion, and James Mcavoy, who i think is a great young actor, looks very out of place. I think this was a very poor casting decision.

The saving grace................Angelina Jolie's body....wow.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #2090
Schmidty
Coordinator

Spirited Away - 9.5/10

I saw it years ago, and liked it, but watching it again just blew me away. It's my daughter's favorite movie at the moment, and I don't even mind seeing it at least once a day.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #2091
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
[b])
This is a pretty good movie. However it lasts an hour too long for its own good. I hope that the adventurer keeps the secret.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #2092
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
This is a pretty good movie. However it lasts an hour too long for its own good. I hope that the adventurer keeps the secret.

What.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #2093
molson
General Manager

Downfall

9.5/10

The last days of Hitler and his inner circle in and around his Berlin bunker. Great movie. Best portrayal of Hitler that I've ever seen on the screen. I've read some criticisms about how Hitler is portrayed here, as merely a flawed human that we almost have sympathy for. I didn't see that, we already knew that Hitler loved dogs, was polite to his secretary, etc. I enjoyed that Hitler was portrayed accurately, as a flawed man, not as some kind of evil god-like super villain.

Last edited by molson : 07-05-2008 at 02:44 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #2094
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Downfall

9.5/10

The last days of Hitler and his inner circle in and around his Berlin bunker. Great movie. Best portrayal of Hitler that I've ever seen on the screen. I've read some criticisms about how Hitler is portrayed here, as merely a flawed human that we almost have sympathy for. I didn't see that, we already knew that Hitler loved dogs, was polite to his secretary, etc. I enjoyed that Hitler was portrayed accurately, as a flawed man, not as some kind of evil god-like super villain.

There are some truly inspired (and many stupid) re-dubbings of this movie on youtube, if you've never seen them.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #2095
MikeVic
Head Coach

Poolhall Junkies - 7.5/10
A young kid has great pool talents, but it's being wasted as he's a hustler instead of being a pro player AND hustler. That's the basis of the movie. It was enjoyable enough to get through it, and I liked the main guy's smug look throughout the movie. Some of the "trickery" throughout the movie is kind of lame, and I knew what would happen before it did. The ending sequence also contains quite a bit of convenient events, but Walken's short stint in the move makes up for some of it (although it takes awhile for him to make his first appearance). All in all, a decent movie.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #2096
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hancock - 7/10
It was better than I thought it'd be. The twist was kind of cool, though to some extent I thought the movie lasted a little too long. Also, some of the action scenes were so enhanced/CG that I really couldn't tell what was going on. Still a decent flick. Nothing in the realm of MIB or anything, but entertaining enough.

Spoiler

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #2097
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Poolhall Junkies - 7.5/10
A young kid has great pool talents, but it's being wasted as he's a hustler instead of being a pro player AND hustler. That's the basis of the movie. It was enjoyable enough to get through it, and I liked the main guy's smug look throughout the movie. Some of the "trickery" throughout the movie is kind of lame, and I knew what would happen before it did. The ending sequence also contains quite a bit of convenient events, but Walken's short stint in the move makes up for some of it (although it takes awhile for him to make his first appearance). All in all, a decent movie.

Maybe the story was good, I don't remember it that well now, I just remember that it was terribly painful to watch, the production was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Hancock - 7/10
It was better than I thought it'd be. The twist was kind of cool, though to some extent I thought the movie lasted a little too long. Also, some of the action scenes were so enhanced/CG that I really couldn't tell what was going on. Still a decent flick. Nothing in the realm of MIB or anything, but entertaining enough.

Spoiler

/tk

The movie was incredibly short...! I felt it was almost too short, almost as long as a romantic comedy. Without looking, I think it was right around an hour and a half.

Last edited by korme : 07-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #2098
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hancock - 6/10

Spoiler

The first 30 minutes was so promising, the plot twist was great, but how they handled and resolved the plot twist was just too awkward for me. The first half was an excellent origin-type superhero story, and then it devolved into something like My Super Ex-Girlfriend.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #2099
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The movie was incredibly short...! I felt it was almost too short, almost as long as a romantic comedy. Without looking, I think it was right around an hour and a half.

I agree, it was "short," but I guess I meant my statement to say it felt long. Like towards the end, it felt a little dragged out, I was ready to move on. Not terribly so, but definitely noticeable for me. Each their own.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #2100
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Wanted - 4/10

It got an extra point from me 'cuz Angelina was in it, but man...McAvoy was brutal as the lead. It sure seemed liked all of the actors phoned it in. The action sequences were decent but not in the OMG category.

Ironman - 8/10

Movies based on comic books have to have stand-alone merit for me as I'm not a comic book (umm...graphic novel) guy. Downey was excellent but as someone mentioned probably was just playing himself. A very pleasant surprise for me.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote