Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #101
Telle
College Starter

Ok so that's three on JE, two on me, and one on DC so far. At least we have something to talk about
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #102
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
Ok so that's three on JE, two on me, and one on DC so far. At least we have something to talk about

And am I just a total geek for tracking this in a Google Spreadsheet?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #103
JHandley
High School Varsity

I don't know about geek, but definitely sounds a little mad. Almost like a mad scientist.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #104
Telle
College Starter

Lol. Nice spin. Sorry, but I'm just a plain old villager.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jonathan looking good in pre-lynching.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #106
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
And am I just a total geek for tracking this in a Google Spreadsheet?

Just a quick note, nope, not at all... I used to track votes all the time. The beauty about Google spreadsheets is that you have instant access no matter where you go.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #107
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The math dictates that overwhelming a villager will be lynched in early votes, especially as the wolves are unlikely to "randomly" be voting for a wolf during the first two votes. So yes we'll likely lynch a villager, but we have a 0% chance of lynching a wolf if we lynch no one. Assuming 3 wolves we have a 16% chance of finding one today and four wolves, more likely in this case as I think there could be 3 regular wolves + mad scientist, would give us a 21% chance (though as I noted it's slightly less because the wolves can coordinate against our randomly succeeding). Of course there is a 95% chance of that we'll lose a villager tonight which is why I'd rather take our chances in the day.

However, as I've thought this through one could actually argue the math does favor a no lynch on Day 1.

We have 2 wolf detectors and 1 mad scientist detector. Tonight, if we don't lynch anyone, and assuming there are 3 wolves, we have a 31% chance of finding a wolf plus a 5% chance of finding the scientist giving us a total bad guy chance of 36% (slightly less as there’s about a 1% chance that the wolves would choose a seer who happens to find a wolf). Two wolves plus mad scientist gives us a 27% chance of finding a wolf. This compares well with our 21% or 16% day time chance (again less because it’s not completely random).

Now, if we do lynch, the math gets considerably more complex and unless someone is really interested I don’t think I feel like working it out (as it would involve a whole bunch of probability squares), but there’s a 16% chance we’d accidentally lynch a seer thus reducing our chances at finding a wolf.

With three seers, and what I perceive to be an abnormally high seer/wolf ratio (owing to the existence of so many seers) I think it could be argued that no lynch is actually the EV play here.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #108
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm assuming Mad Scientist = conversion ability. Is that everybody else's take on the role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Mad Scientist - You have found Dr. Frankenstein's old notes, and have begun work on an army of lycanthropes. If lynched, you will turn up as human, but for game purposes you count as a wolf.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #109
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'm assuming Mad Scientist = conversion ability. Is that everybody else's take on the role?

That's how I see it as well.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #110
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

That's my take.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #111
path12
Coordinator

For something different:

VOTE NO LYNCH

I could change my mind.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #112
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmm. That's certainly possible but I considered it more as a wolf who is harder to detect. But the conversion is an interesting possibility and would lean it towards the game being a 2 wolf + 1 mad scientist game to start with.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #113
KWhit
Coordinator

Obviously, my thinking comes from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
and have begun work on an army of lycanthropes
Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #114
JHandley
High School Varsity

Can't be as simple as tapping someone on the shoulder. I would imagine there's hidden factors in the Mad Scientist's role.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #115
Telle
College Starter

So two games ago Barkeep proclaimed loudly for a day and a half that not lynching is a bad idea with absolutely no value. Then today he comes out with a very compelling, mathematically based argument as to why in this particular game not lynching might be beneficial.

So, he could be a wolf and still heartedly believes that not lynching is only good for the wolves. But that would be somewhat foolish because he'd only be able to use that argument once before it was obvious in any game he tried it.

So, for the moment at least I'll go along with his train of thought.

UNVOTE DODGERCHICK
VOTE NO LYNCH
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #116
JHandley
High School Varsity

To extrapolate on the idea of the Mad Scientist, I think lynching on the first day does have value.

I can't believe the Mad Scientist role is as simple as the person telling someone they are now a wolf. I think they will need to accumulate other players knowledge before they can start to amass an army of lycanthropes. This is what I think the rules are refering to when they claim there are other hidden roles in this game. I don't think the value of possibly eliminating the Mad Scientist or the "ingredients" they need to complete the research can be taken for granted.

The math adds up only if you have a known quantity of variables. Right now, we don't know anything. If we could be assured that there were only 3 wolves, then the math absolutely makes sense to wait until more information is available. However, we don't know (a) how many wolves there are or (b) how many wolves there could be in the future. For this reason I think we have to take the action to the wolves.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #117
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Well you know me, and I hate having ties and I hate no lynch first days, I think they both help the wolves too much.

And does anybody have a vote count? It looks like this Day 1 is going to be close
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #118
Telle
College Starter

So how do conversions usually work? This is only my second game and I'm not really understanding that bit of it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #119
Telle
College Starter

JE - Dodgerchick, Lathum, cartman
Telle - JHandley, KWhit
no lynch - path12, Telle
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #120
RendeR
Coordinator

Somehow watching the iananity of Day one voting just makes me shake my head in wonderment.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #121
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Somehow watching the iananity of Day one voting just makes me shake my head in wonderment.

There's not much alternative, IMO. Especially if there are conversions in this game. We don't need to just stand around chatting while wolves kill us or convert us.

It sucks to have to vote day 1, but at least there's a chance that it will help us down the road.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
The math dictates that overwhelming a villager will be lynched in early votes, especially as the wolves are unlikely to "randomly" be voting for a wolf during the first two votes. So yes we'll likely lynch a villager, but we have a 0% chance of lynching a wolf if we lynch no one. Assuming 3 wolves we have a 16% chance of finding one today and four wolves, more likely in this case as I think there could be 3 regular wolves + mad scientist, would give us a 21% chance (though as I noted it's slightly less because the wolves can coordinate against our randomly succeeding). Of course there is a 95% chance of that we'll lose a villager tonight which is why I'd rather take our chances in the day.

However, as I've thought this through one could actually argue the math does favor a no lynch on Day 1.

We have 2 wolf detectors and 1 mad scientist detector. Tonight, if we don't lynch anyone, and assuming there are 3 wolves, we have a 31% chance of finding a wolf plus a 5% chance of finding the scientist giving us a total bad guy chance of 36% (slightly less as there’s about a 1% chance that the wolves would choose a seer who happens to find a wolf). Two wolves plus mad scientist gives us a 27% chance of finding a wolf. This compares well with our 21% or 16% day time chance (again less because it’s not completely random).

Now, if we do lynch, the math gets considerably more complex and unless someone is really interested I don’t think I feel like working it out (as it would involve a whole bunch of probability squares), but there’s a 16% chance we’d accidentally lynch a seer thus reducing our chances at finding a wolf.

With three seers, and what I perceive to be an abnormally high seer/wolf ratio (owing to the existence of so many seers) I think it could be argued that no lynch is actually the EV play here.

Just got back in and catching up, but it sounds here like you've gone through some of the same thoughts that i have and why I am starting to budge from my pro-lynch thoughts over the last few days.

One thing though, you mention three seers. I thought we only had 1 who could find a wolf and 1 who could find the mad scientist?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #123
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Just got back in and catching up, but it sounds here like you've gone through some of the same thoughts that i have and why I am starting to budge from my pro-lynch thoughts over the last few days.

One thing though, you mention three seers. I thought we only had 1 who could find a wolf and 1 who could find the mad scientist?

Van Helsing "may" identify a wolf according to the rules.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #124
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Yeah I'm getting that from "If the player is a wolf, you may discover his identity - as he will yours."

I hadn't read that with the may the first time. My calculations would be very different depending on what percent of a chance that may is. If it's a 50% chance, for instance, it would only be about a 29% chance of finding 3 wolves and 22% of finding 2 wolves.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Math be damned, I am still not a fan of giving the wolves a head start.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #126
Telle
College Starter

Although do you think a seer would just go to their lynching quietly? Don't you think they'd speak up if it was pretty obvious that we were about to kill them off?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #127
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Yeah I'm getting that from "If the player is a wolf, you may discover his identity - as he will yours."

I hadn't read that with the may the first time. My calculations would be very different depending on what percent of a chance that may is. If it's a 50% chance, for instance, it would only be about a 29% chance of finding 3 wolves and 22% of finding 2 wolves.

Exactly. And with the possibility of conversions, it throws your conclusions even more in doubt.

I have no idea if it makes more sense to lynch or not lynch today. I can actually see arguments for either.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #128
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
For something different:

VOTE NO LYNCH

I could change my mind.

I'm not a good WW player, but even I know that a NO Lynch this early is horrible for us villagers.

And because I have no real reason to vote for anyone:

Vote path12

This is subject to change as well.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #129
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

And I don't know if I was clear in my previous post, but I don't think the math BK did is valid at all, actually, because there's too much we don't know about the rules.

No offense to BK intended...
Old 07-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #130
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I still don't understand how lynching a villager is a good play on day one. If we lynch a villager, that gives the wolves one less person they have to go after on night one. Which gives them a better chance at hitting an important role.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #131
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Although do you think a seer would just go to their lynching quietly? Don't you think they'd speak up if it was pretty obvious that we were about to kill them off?

Another strike against a day one lynch. On the off chance that we do hit on a seer, we either kill them or they draw so much attention to themselves that the wolves get to them early.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #132
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
I still don't understand how lynching a villager is a good play on day one. If we lynch a villager, that gives the wolves one less person they have to go after on night one. Which gives them a better chance at hitting an important role.

You can say that for every night.

How is lynching a villager on day 2 a good play? What about day 3?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #133
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Might as well get this out of the way because I'm not changing my mind on this.

VOTE NO LYNCH
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #134
KWhit
Coordinator

And just to clarify, I don't feel really strongly either way about a lynch today or not. But for the most part, if we don't lynch today, then day 2 will feel almost just as random as day 1. The seer (and maybe Van Helsing) may have a little bit more info, but for the rest of us simple villagers it will still be a totally random vote.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #135
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

If you're a seer and it looks like you're going down, then yeah, you should come out. It's tricky timing though, you want to wait as long as you can to protect having to come out, but you need to be early enough that people can switch off you.

At least that way you get one view before the wolves get you, which is worse than more but better than none.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #136
KWhit
Coordinator

Jonathan Ezarik - Dodgerchick, Lathum, cartman
Telle - JHandley, KWhit
path12 - Schmidty
no lynch - path12, Telle, Jonathan Ezarik
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #137
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You can say that for every night.

How is lynching a villager on day 2 a good play? What about day 3?

Sigh. I guess I have to keep on repeating myself here. Look, I know that day two is not much better in terms of knowledge gathered, but there is still knowledge that comes into play. As it stands now, no one (minus the wolves) has any knowledge about anyone else. None. After tonight, some will have gained some info while others are still ignorant. But at least some good guys will have info which is better than nothing.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #138
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
And I don't know if I was clear in my previous post, but I don't think the math BK did is valid at all, actually, because there's too much we don't know about the rules.

Its okay, its obvious he isn't a math major
Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #139
path12
Coordinator

My favorite day 1 vote is for someone who hasn't checked in or voted.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #140
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Sigh. I guess I have to keep on repeating myself here. Look, I know that day two is not much better in terms of knowledge gathered, but there is still knowledge that comes into play. As it stands now, no one (minus the wolves) has any knowledge about anyone else. None. After tonight, some will have gained some info while others are still ignorant. But at least some good guys will have info which is better than nothing.

Yes, you're right. However, a night has gone by without the villagers taking action, but letting the wolves kill one of us off and possibly converting one of us.

It just gives the wolves an extra day to do their thing - which is not good for us.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #141
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:

I have to agree with you on that one
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #142
Telle
College Starter

Quote:

Antmeister is the only player to not yet check in.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #143
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
You realize there's a nearly equal likelihood that we lynch a useful villager role as a wolf?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #144
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Agreed.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #145
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Votes as of 2 pm Central
Chief Rum 2
DaddyTorgo 2
Gonzo 1
Neon_Chaos 1
tanglewood 1
Antmeister 0
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #146
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Because I am *still* confused about the last game we played, and because he has only had one post

vote tanglewood
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #147
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Votes as of 2 pm Central
Chief Rum 2
DaddyTorgo 2
Gonzo 1
Neon_Chaos 1
tanglewood 1
Antmeister 0

Huh?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #148
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

DC where is your man?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #149
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

None taken but what besides the Van Helsing thing do you think we don't know?

I frankly don't tend to put a lot of stock in statements such as "there might be other hidden roles". I feel those statements are more often about giving the wolf's freedom to lie than they are about significant roles. I would say hidden roles are most likely along the lines of a Duke and special abilities for the wolves.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

At some point you have to break some eggs to make an omlette.

When the vote is spread out day one you don't learn much but if it is down to 2-3 candidates you give yourself something to go on.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote