snoww
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:18 PM   #2002
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My kid and weather.

He heads back to Miami tomorrow (completing the trip on Sunday)

It'll be the coldest temps in Miami (40) in 11 years, with still an outside chance of a setting an 81 year record during the weekend (that'd be 36)

One of my neighbors who recently moved from up north is pissed that the local Burlington store does not have coats to keep people warn in freezing temperatures.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #2003
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Preparing now for what could be a late-week sleet/freezing rain/ice/snow storm. Going to be a lot of rain and then temp crash. Not looking promising in KY Thursday into Friday.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:15 PM   #2004
tarcone
Coordinator

That snow storm hits us Tuesday night through Thursday. Someone said 18-24 inches, but Im not sure where they got that info.
I see an early 2-4 but that is just Tuesday night into Wednesday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #2005
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

They're telling us 12+ inches in my area for Wednesday-Thursday.
But it'll probably just be 3-5 inches.

Typical male weather forecasting...
Old 01-31-2022, 11:25 AM   #2006
tarcone
Coordinator

We are now at 4-10 inches with Thursday not being predicted yet

Old 01-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #2007
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This snow through MO is unfortunate. I had an aunt pass in the bootheel over the weekend...the services are Thursday.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:41 PM   #2008
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
This snow through MO is unfortunate. I had an aunt pass in the bootheel over the weekend...the services are Thursday.

You should be okay in the boot heel. This event is going up I44 which basically is Springfield to St. Louis.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:48 PM   #2009
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
You should be okay in the boot heel. This event is going up I44 which basically is Springfield to St. Louis.

I'd essentially have to drive through it, though, out of Wentzville.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:22 PM   #2010
Ksyrup

I'd take 2 feet of snow over half-inch+ of ice. That's what we are looking at. 2-4 inches of rain and flooding with a quick transition to freezing rain and sleet. Models are pushing out up to an inch of ice. Screw me if that happens.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #2011
tarcone
Coordinator

Here is what I have seen for our area: .25 inches of ice, 1-2 inches of sleet, 8-12 inches of snow. If no ice or sleet, 2 feet of snow.

The weather people are calling this a potentially historic storm.

EDIT: The temp got to 65 today and it has rained an inch this evening. There is a lot of energy in this storm with a strong cold front.

Last edited by tarcone : 02-01-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #2012
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We should get the storm on Friday. Tonight's prediction was 1.5" of rain, 4" of snow, and some, maybe a lot, of ice in between.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #2013
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ice is just the worst. In theory, we're going to dodge it in Houston - it'll just be cold here. Dallas is supposed to be a slippery mess best avoided.

But then there's the power grid

Greg Abbott, just two months ago: "I can guarantee the lights will stay on.”

Greg Abbott today, as Texas freezes: “No one can guarantee there won’t be power outages.”
— Sawyer Hackett (@SawyerHackett) February 1, 2022

I don't expect to see what we saw last year as it's just not as cold or expected for as long. But I didn't expect what we saw last year, either. And, again, there was as much manmade disaster to last year as there was weather one and that hasn't changed.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-01-2022 at 09:21 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #2014
Ksyrup

According to models, we are looking at .25 to .75 inches of ice. Even on the low end, that's severe. If we end up at half inch plus, that will be devastating.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:40 PM   #2015
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
According to models, we are looking at .25 to .75 inches of ice. Even on the low end, that's severe. If we end up at half inch plus, that will be devastating.

Yeah, up north, we're looking at .1 to .3 and 2 to 4 inches on top of that.

Ice is my least favorite thing about this area. It's so destructive. Happy we have underground wires in the neighborhood.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #2016
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bet ya it does nothing...
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #2017
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Bet ya it does nothing...

Winter storms are so hard to predict. A couple degrees one way or another matter a ton, whereas in the summer, who cares if it's 92 vs 94

SI

Old 02-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #2018
Ksyrup

We are in for a direct hit from the ice. I would love nothing more than for it to be wrong. The 2009 ice storm was awful, but that was over one inch of ice. Here, the NWS has officially forecast .25 to .50 inches of ice for central KY. That's going to knock out some power, somewhere. I'd gladly take 2.5 feet of snow over half-inch of ice.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:38 PM   #2019
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

psssst there is weather
Old 02-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #2020
PilotMan
Head Coach

We've got ice everywhere. It's been coming down since about 830 this morning. It's more sleet right now than freezing rain, which is better, but the roads are bad, and the snow is still on its way.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-03-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #2021
Ksyrup

We've been lucky so far. 33 degrees and rain for hours. It will eventually transition but it sounds like up where you (and my daughter) are, it's already nasty and getting worse.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #2022
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My friends in Southern Ohio are starting to report power outages.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #2023
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I was going to go into work but couldn't get 2 blocks before spinning out.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #2024
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Early this morning, the weather service was saying nine inches of snow after some sleet. We've now had 12 straight hours of nothing but sleet.

Fortunately, very little freezing rain, so the trees might hold up OK when the winds start later. The driveway, though, is a skating rink, and the salt that was put down earlier might as well have been little marshmallows.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:07 PM   #2025
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
We've now had 12 straight hours of nothing but sleet.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #2026
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Early this morning, the weather service was saying nine inches of snow after some sleet. We've now had 12 straight hours of nothing but sleet.

Fortunately, very little freezing rain, so the trees might hold up OK when the winds start later. The driveway, though, is a skating rink, and the salt that was put down earlier might as well have been little marshmallows.

Similar here(I live right on the PA/Oh border off I-80). Shoveled and salted the hell out of everything and that seems to have been a waste. Luckily don’t have to really be anywhere tomorrow
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #2027
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Similar here(I live right on the PA/Oh border off I-80). Shoveled and salted the hell out of everything and that seems to have been a waste. Luckily don’t have to really be anywhere tomorrow

Incredibly narrow bands of weather - our advisory carries east past Youngstown, to where you are. We finally turned to snow in the last half-hour, and it is coming down hard. So fluff on top of a sheet of ice, and it wont rise above the mid-20s until Sunday. No one's going anywhere.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #2028
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I really hope there's a special place in hell for little shits like Ted Cruz. "Haha, I bailed last year when 250 of my constituents died so let's make a funny this year about it"

SI

Old 02-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #2029
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I really hope there's a special place in hell for little shits like Ted Cruz. "Haha, I bailed last year when 250 of my constituents died so let's make a funny this year about it"

SI

And right as Texas faces another winter storm that knocks out power.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:12 PM   #2030
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And right as Texas faces another winter storm that knocks out power.

Well, you know comedy equals tragedy plus time (timing?)

SI

Old 02-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #2031
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Basically the same here in NKY. I've never seen this many roads outright closed. Looking at "cincinnati traffic" on google, most of the outer belt and inner interstates are closed. I've seen solid red of stopped traffic before, but never just outright closed roads. Not in 19 years.

We've had the same sleet fall since 9am, and it's still going. It looks like 4-5 inches of just sleet on the ground right now. It's hard, and very firm. It's going to freeze big time tomorrow, and over the weekend. I have no idea how were going to even consider shoveling it. All passenger flights out of Cincinnati were cancelled today. All of them, across all airlines.

Like Steam?

Old 02-04-2022, 05:42 AM   #2032
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It’s 62 degrees here at 6am.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #2033
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It’s 62 degrees here at 6am.

60 here at 8an and might get to 70 before the cold and rain starts today
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 AM   #2034
Ksyrup

Yeah, we were in the 60s the day before the storm hit here, too. It was great.

Fortunately, the freezing rain part pretty much completely missed us. 33 degree rain for hours, a quick freezing rain line, then sleet at about 8pm and overnight. Woke up this morning to a powdering of light snow on top of it all. We got lucky.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #2035
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Basically the same here in NKY. I've never seen this many roads outright closed. Looking at "cincinnati traffic" on google, most of the outer belt and inner interstates are closed. I've seen solid red of stopped traffic before, but never just outright closed roads. Not in 19 years.

We've had the same sleet fall since 9am, and it's still going. It looks like 4-5 inches of just sleet on the ground right now. It's hard, and very firm. It's going to freeze big time tomorrow, and over the weekend. I have no idea how were going to even consider shoveling it. All passenger flights out of Cincinnati were cancelled today. All of them, across all airlines.

My buddy is a Cinci firefighter and had to drive in to work at 6:00 AM today. Said the roads were pretty bad.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #2036
tarcone
Coordinator

We ended up with a foot. The first couple inches were sleet. So the roads are still bad here.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #2037
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
We ended up with a foot. The first couple inches were sleet. So the roads are still bad here.

who's foot?
Old 02-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #2038
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

I ended up missing the funeral, but my cousin also encouraged me not to try and make the trip. My wife went out with the cat to the vet earlier today...said the roads aren't bad in Wentzville but aren't so great in St Charles/Peters.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #2039
Ksyrup

My parents are in Dallas and got a good bit of ice. This morning, my dad forgot to take out the garbage or recycling so he went outside the garage before remembering there was no pick-up this morning, seconds before slipping and gashing his head and breaking his glasses. He needs stitches but my brother (a doctor) cautioned against going to an ER given Covid, so they are probably going to wait until some kind of urgent care or doctor office is open (everything's closed because of the weather).

Not good for someone in his mid-70s.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:09 PM   #2040
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
who's foot?

A decent linebacker from Michigan who had a solid career with the Steelers not that long ago.

I wonder what happens when the vent pipes on the roof attached to ceiling fans and radon mitigation systems get covered in ice. We've gotten fairly close to an average year's snowfall in just the last couple of weeks or so.

Roads are finally plowed, but our driveway, a rather steep hill of about 200 feet, will require serious attention before anyone is going anywhere. I hope the guy we have for plowing is doing OK. This one seems a lot worse for plowing equipment than the 14-16 inch storm last month.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:39 AM   #2041
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

We need more. That damn gopher promised us!
Old 02-17-2022, 08:17 AM   #2042
PilotMan
Head Coach

Today's flood warnings not enough for you? I think my backyard might be quicksand it's so soft right now. I still have spots of snow and ice from 2 week's ago, even after yesterday's 64 degrees. The ground is completely saturated.

Like Steam?

Old 02-17-2022, 08:39 AM   #2043
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Today's flood warnings not enough for you? I think my backyard might be quicksand it's so soft right now. I still have spots of snow and ice from 2 week's ago, even after yesterday's 64 degrees. The ground is completely saturated.

Same here, except the temperature is suppose to plummet from 53 degrees to 23 today and turn everything into ice. Also we're getting 6 inches of snow.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #2044
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're going from 79 and rainy to 36 and windy. We're not getting much sympathy here (honestly, walking the kid to school when it was 70 and light rain this morning was just fine)

SI

Old 02-18-2022, 03:22 AM   #2045
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bizarre ‘Snow Monsters’ Appear in Japan

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-18-2022 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #2046
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/18/world...gbr/index.html

Stay safe UK based FOFCers.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:42 PM   #2047
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not often the weather page says 70 and also has a winter storm watch. Looks like another round of snow, ice, and rain for Thursday into Friday.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #2048
Ksyrup

Welcome to Kentucky in March. 62 degrees and a winter storm warning.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #2049
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A couple of days ago, the forecast was 50/50 on 6" for this area, with a reasonable possibility of 9". As it approaches, it's moving further to the east and considerably weakened with less wind, so we're now looking at 3" with a small possibility of 5". And given the temperature isn't dropping as much, it might end up being more rain than snow. I'm not even sure we'll need the snowplows. It still looks significant for central and eastern NY away from NYC, though (and parts of WV and eastern KY). It doesn't seem all that unusual for this time of year.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #2050
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The local weather guys are calling for 4-8 inches in the Hudson Valley with more north of there.